You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited December 2016
    All the best Karen x
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thinking of those poor doctors once she starts rambling! Sorry to hear Karen, hope you're back to health soonest.
    Posted by bbMike
    Good point.
  • edited December 2016
    hope you all had a brill chrimbo. would have loved to have played a bit but i had a bit of a heart attack. docs advised not to get jodded, so, will be back a few more weeks from now. love karen xxx
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Wishing you a speedy recovery Karen.
    Sending all my run good.x
  • edited December 2016
    hope you all had a brill chrimbo. would have loved to have played a bit but i had a bit of a heart attack. docs advised not to get jodded, so, will be back a few more weeks from now. love karen xxx
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    A bit of a heart attack trust a poker player to understate her hand hope you have a speedy recovery bingo cheez;  ;-)
  • edited December 2016
    Hope you get better soon Karen. Maybe replace the Twiglets with some vitamen C for a little while?

• edited December 2016

Sorry to hear this Mac, get well soon. Hope doormat is looking after you.
  • edited December 2016
    Missing you Karen.
    Get well soon
  • edited January 2017

Happy New Year to all of you, especially those of you that have managed to trawl through my endless waffle in 2016 & earlier.

Special good wishes to those that are or have been, unwell, such as the much missed Karen, Tom, Omm & many others. 

Health, happiness & peace to you all in 2017.  

• edited January 2017

A visit to the dark side (cont'd)

It was all going too well. As I mentioned in my last Dark Side Update, I had accumulated a run-good overdraft which needed paying off, & I've certainly paid a bit off the last few sessions.

I have been making some bad plays & repeated mistakes, too. After years of Pot Limit, it's too easy to overshove with, say, 10-10 & get picked of by Big Aces. So, some run bad, & plenty of play bad. Need to do better.

Really enjoying the challenge, though.

Now, feast your eyes on my recent NLH results. That'll teach me to think the transition is easy.    

Session 1 - P5, W4

Session 2 - P4, W3

Session 3 - P10, W8

Session 4 - P15, W 10

Session 5 - P15, W8

Session 6 - P15, W10

Session 7 - P5, W5

Session 8 - P25, W13

Session 9 - P10, W2

Session 10 - P15, W10

Session 11 - P10, W4

So that's P129, W77, = 60%.

Profit so far is £12.
  • edited January 2017

Year End Report

The headline number is I made an Online profit of £1,193.86 in 2016, which sounds good at first sight.

Closer investigations suggests it is not good at all really, considering how many games I played & time I spent playing, in fact it's embarrassingly low.

In all, I played some 8,300 games, so the profit per game - & that includes Rewards Payments - was just £0.14. 

Why so low?

The problem was that between Jan 1st & late April I went on a £500 downswing. In fact it was not a downswing at all, I just thought it was at the time. Then I realised this was not possible, & it must be bad play. With some help from markycash, I re-invented my game completely, since when I've been on the up slope almost non-stop, & made £700, plus Rewards payments, since the re-invention.

So I aim to do much better in 2017.

Still love the game to bits of course, & it helps me test my mental faculties & dexterity.

6 tabling against some really good (& some woefully bad) play is something I struggle with at times - focus, concentration, speed of thought & action - but I just about get by.  

• edited January 2017
    Well done any profit is good. I play poker as a hobby now so making money if I do is a bonus, after all most hobbies just cost you money.
  • edited January 2017
    Well done any profit is good. I play poker as a hobby now so making money if I do is a bonus, after all most hobbies just cost you money.
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    100% agree with that Gary.

For me it's a wonderful hobby, as I don't watch much TV, so every night I really look forward to pitting my elderly wits against the boys & girls.

One way to look at it is as a hobby which earns me a bit of money on the side, & so is 100% free. Most hobbies cost money, of course.

Still think I should do better though. There are regular players in the PLO8 pool who, literally, limp in every hand, & never fold no matter what. We ought to be able to do better against these guys.

• edited January 2017

In "Live" Poker, my only play this year was in Las Vegas.

I invested some £12,000 in MTT's, & got back about £16,000.

However, I sold 50% of my action, so my actual profit was only £2,000. Unbelievably great fun though, best thing ever is the WSOP time in Vegas.

Highlights were 56th of 473 for $4,873 in the $3,000 WSOP PLO8 - effectively the PLO8 World championship, 36th of 776 for $4,901 in the $1,500 PLO, chopping the PLO8 @ PH for $3,500 (I had 3 bigs....), and a Final Table in the $1,600 Big O @ Venetian for $2,360. 

In Vegas cash games - all of it Big O - I made around $3,700. 

Most enjoyable Vegas trip ever.

So there it is, 2016 in a nutshell. 

Now onto 2017.  

• edited January 2017

Will try to do a proper Update tomorrow, am all over the shop at the mo.

Meanwhile, a couple of these.....

How do These Things Happen?

1) I played 15 £x 5.50 PLO8 games yesterday, and lost 12 of them.

2) I made more money playing just 11 small NLH DYM's yesterday than I did playing 42 assorted PLO8 DYM's.

3) 2 nights ago, flushed with my new found NLH DYM prowess, I played 12 x £11 NLH DYM's against the likes of Timmy, SJSpansky, RLT16, & Mushy. That sure went well, especially in the 4 I won. What WAS I thinking, mixing it with dem Big Boys?

• edited January 2017
    Because bad players have a better chance in plo8 than they do in nlh dyms.
  • edited January 2017
    Because bad players have a better chance in plo8 than they do in nlh dyms.
    Posted by gerardirl
    Harsh!

But I laughed
  • edited January 2017
    Well, well who would have thought we could come across players who fold more than you.....Hold em as well. :-)
  • edited January 2017
    Well, well who would have thought we could come across players who fold more than you.....Hold em as well. :-)
    Posted by HENDRIK62

;)

To put some meat on that bone....

Hendo & I end up on the same table over on The Dark Side.

Somehow, 4 handed, we have 10,500 betwen us.

At 200-400, folded to the SB, who has 730 TOTAL, & jams. It's 330 for the BB to call to win 1130 or so.

He folded.....  
  • edited January 2017

Quick Update.

The PLO8 is going alomg steadily, nothing great, just £10, £20 or £30 of profit each night, though should add I'm playing a LOT of games. As luck would have it, I'm winning almost all of the £11 & £16.50 games, so that really helps.

The Dark Side

This is something I'm really enjoying. My ONLY reason for playing them is I want to play more games, & earn more points, & the PLO8 traffic is not enough. By dabbling in 10 or 20 small (£2, £3 & £5) NLH DYM's most days, I was able to get over 2,000 points last week, & that's a very useful £40 of bunce. I did try the £11 games one night last week, BIG mistake, espercially as I ran into Timmy, SJSpansky, RLT & Co. Cost me about £80, but I actually think I got £80 of valuable learning from watching those guys.

Must make mentioin of 2 very kind people here - both excellent NLH DYM players who have been kind enough to help me with advice & comments about what I am doing wrong, & need to do better.  Won't name them at the mo, in case they'd prefer not, but I'm really grateful to them both.

Doubt I'm making any money on them overall yet, might be a small loser, not much in it, but I played so much better in my last session, thanks to the advice, & had my best ever session.

All good.     

• edited January 2017

Anyone heard from, or seen, Pompeynic since Christmas?

Not seen him around since before Xmas. Hope he is OK.
  • edited January 2017

Seen enough of Eon & Markycash though. If they want to take a break, no complaints from me, in fact I'd encourage it.

• edited January 2017
    Any news or word from Karen?

Hope she is OK, too.
  • edited January 2017
    We're at same table, cant say hi, because im on my mobile app.
  • edited January 2017
    We're at same table, cant say hi, because im on my mobile app.
    Posted by mumsie
    I did see you, but I had 5 tables on the go, all NLH, including 1 @ £22, which is way above my NLH level, so had to really concentrate. Did you do OK?
  • edited January 2017

I just played THE most spectacularly odd DYM ever.

I'd be here all day if I tried to describe everything odd that went off.

Think I found the fold button with 50 chips @ 200-400. The other shortie had, I think, 615 chips, & got it all-in with J-J. His oppo had 8-5. 

Flop?

8-8-5

Yikes. 

The whole thing, once it got 4 handed, was very odd indeed, almost as if the 2 big stacks wanted to keep me in. 

Gotta feel for the guy who lost it.   

• edited January 2017
    I just played THE most spectacularly odd DYM ever. I'd be here all day if I tried to describe everything odd that went off.   Think I found the fold button with 50 chips @ 200-400. The other shortie had, I think, 615 chips, & got it all-in with J-J. His oppo had 8-5.  Flop? 8-8-5 Yikes.  The whole thing, once it got 4 handed, was very odd indeed, almost as if the 2 big stacks wanted to keep me in.  Gotta feel for the guy who lost it.     
    Posted by Tikay10

Ah yes, that must be that "trigger" someone posted about earlier.. ;-)

• edited January 2017
    Had one of those myself, cant see it but in hand below I think I had about 200 chips left and in bb next hand. More importantly it helped keep my little run streak of 20 games on the bounce going and got me a shiny sharkscope star.....thank you Mr intelligent goat!
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    garner909 Small blind   150.00 150.00 2587.50
    SMARTGOAT Big blind   300.00 450.00 8150.00
      Your hole cards
    • K

jdsallstar Fold     
                xx                               All-in   517.50 967.50 0.00
    garner909 Fold     
    SMARTGOAT Call   217.50 1185.00 7932.50
    SMARTGOAT Show

xx           Show
    • A
    • Q

Flop

• J

Turn

River

SMARTGOAT Win Two Pairs, 10s and 8s 1185.00   9117.50
  • edited January 2017
    I dont know how to put in a clickable button, but I have posted a hand I would love you to take a look at, its in SNG strat.
  • edited January 2017
    I like Sit n Go argument, sorry discussion, you started Tikay but it really is not a good enough reason to neglect this thread.

Some form of update is requested, nay demanded, by the PLO8 crowd/rabble.

You have until noon tomorrow or I will start derailing trains.