You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited February 2017
  • edited February 2017

A little side story for you today. This is a true story, by the bye, & some of you will have witnessed this happening recently on tables I am playing, including last night. 

I have got myself a new little troll. I've had more trolls than enough down the years here, so it's cool, it does not bother me, though I apologise to my table companions for having to read the drivel. The best way to deal with trolls, in my experience, is to ignore them, NEVER EVER reply. "Don't feed the trolls" as the tired old cliché goes. 

This is a most unusual one though - educated & articulate I'd say. Used to be a high volume - VERY high volume - player on Sky Poker, even got one of those lovely spinning gold stars from Sharky for "Count" a few years back. Barely plays here now, probably less than 10 games in 2017, 20 games in the last 6 months, & no games in the last 2 or 3 weeks.

You get the picture now, I hope. Not playing poker, but trolling me in the table chat boxes.

It happened last night (Sunday)  on the NLH tables, and a week ago on a Saturday evening, also on the NLH tables. Prior to that, he used to appear on the PLO8 DYM Tables from time to time to troll generally, though mostly me.

Nothing nasty, just trolly stuff. 

"Are you the real tikay? We know you cant multi table, so who is using your account?"

I've ALWAYS multi-tabled, usually 5 or 6, for at least 4 years. You know that, he knows that.

"Is that the real tikay?"

"Has someone hacked tikay's account? "

"Why won't you reply to my questions?"

Ha, good luck with that mate. 

Now, bearing all that in mind, I have a question for you.

More follows.

• edited February 2017

So here we have a player who used to play a LOT of poker here. Now, effectively none at all.

Seems reasonably articulate & bright.

So let's assume he has quit poker. Maybe gone busto, or just got tired of poker.

Could be playing on another site I guess, but then he'd not have time or inclination to troll here, would he?

And this recent trolling has taken place the last 2 weekends on, respectively, Saturday & Sunday evenings. 

So here's my question. 

If you had quit poker, or whatever, how far up your "I want to" list is trolling someone on the poker tables on Saturday & Sunday evenings?

I know some of us get bored easily, but he has internet access, & the internet is the gateway to a wondrous world of so many fascinating things.

We can spend a whole day - or days - just moving from Wikipedia page to Wikipidea page. It's endlessly fascinating. 

Or read books. I have over 1,000 books, & I can't find enough time as I would like to read. Currently I manage about 90 minutes per day, which is not enough. I'm reading a fascinating book on the implosion of Lloyds Bank in the 2008/9 banking crisis, & next up I'm gonna read the story of Fred Goodwin & the RBS. 

TV is good, too. Some of the nature docs on Eden & Nat Geo are breathtakingly good. I watch all the "Wild" series - Russia, Atlantic, Nordic, Mississippi, Scotland. 

"The Eighties" is a fascinating doc, too, & there are countless others.

Some prefer "light entertainment", Ant & Dec, Mrs Brown's whatsits, or that dreadful Miranda woman. Not for me, but apparently very popular.

Or sport - Six Nations, F1, Premier League football, Moto GP etc.

And for youngsters, there are children's games such as Candy Crush, Mario the Plumber, Angry Birds, Pokemon, FIFA Manager etc. Even some grown ups like that sort of stuff.

So, bearing all that in mind.......

Given all that choice, you choose to spend weekends trolling boring old duffers playing lowball poker pretty badly but happily.

Why would anyone do that?

Don't you think that is a fascinating question?    

• edited February 2017
    I believe Paw Patrol is popular with a fellow diary poster. It's pretty complex stuff by all accounts.

PS congrats for getting ^^^ in the correct thread ;)
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    I believe Paw Patrol is popular with a fellow diary poster. It's pretty complex stuff by all accounts. PS congrats for getting ^^^ in the correct thread ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Yes, nearly an epic faux-pas there.

Paw Patrol? Whooshed me there I'm afraid. Dogs, one assumes?

• edited February 2017
    10218   points gained this month
    Posted by Tikay10
    oi oi

I hope you are taking two nights break.  How did you celebrate?  Sticky bun?
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : oi oi I hope you are taking two nights break.  How did you celebrate?  Sticky bun?
    Posted by Donttelmum
    No no, I just kept plodding on.

11306 points gained this month

Sticky bun? Plural, please. Multi-plural in fact.

The big BIG pre-Vegas diet starts on Thursday. I was under 12-7 when I went to Vegas on May 29 last year. I'm currently 14-4. Ugh.

You & Team Degen all ready for Vegas? What date you going, where you staying?

I strongly recommend a visit to WalMart on West Charlston Bvld in Vegas. They sell cracking T-Shirts of assorted hues & pastel shades at knockdown prices. It's where I get my Vegas apparel, & there's no stronger recommendation than that.  

• edited February 2017

The tale of my little troll gained momentum yesterday.

I ended my note with "don't you think that's  fascinating question?" as to why someone would be so sad as to spend their weekends trolling some old duffer on the poker tables, & you flooded the diary with replies.

However, whilst playing last night, several others made me aware that he trolls them, too.

How very odd.

More news as & when it occurs. 

• edited February 2017

Any news from Karen, aka MacacGirl1?

It's a little worrying that we have not heard further from her.
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : No no, I just kept plodding on. 11306   points gained this month Sticky bun? Plural, please. Multi-plural in fact. The big BIG pre-Vegas diet starts on Thursday. I was under 12-7 when I went to Vegas on May 29 last year. I'm currently 14-4. Ugh. You & Team Degen all ready for Vegas? What date you going, where you staying? I strongly recommend a visit to WalMart on West Charlston Bvld in Vegas. They sell cracking T-Shirts of assorted hues & pastel shades at knockdown prices. It's where I get my Vegas apparel, & there's no stronger recommendation than that.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    an offer you can't refuse
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : an offer you can't refuse
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Steady on HL - I'm an absolute sort.
  • edited February 2017
    Had to look this up is Ray Winstones guide to suvvern slang.

We'll let the readers decide on the accuracy of your assertion....;-)

a word used to comment on someone's appearance in a good way. Basically calling them (hot, good looking)
    say if your walking down the street with your friend and you see and really good looking man & you'd turn to her and say "ooh he's a right sort"
  • edited February 2017
    Ha just spotted where the reference came from.......well if the young lady doth such profess who are we to argue, wp you old sort ;-)

• edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : No no, I just kept plodding on. 11306   points gained this month Sticky bun? Plural, please. Multi-plural in fact. The big BIG pre-Vegas diet starts on Thursday. I was under 12-7 when I went to Vegas on May 29 last year. I'm currently 14-4. Ugh. You & Team Degen all ready for Vegas? What date you going, where you staying? I strongly recommend a visit to WalMart on West Charlston Bvld in Vegas. They sell cracking T-Shirts of assorted hues & pastel shades at knockdown prices. It's where I get my Vegas apparel, & there's no stronger recommendation than that.     
    Posted by Tikay10

Wow Tikay, I'm not sure I'm impressed with that weight gain.  Then again you have stated a number of times you have been hitting the gym hard so maybe it's muscle.  I'd be snap calling that.

Funny you mention about the T-shirts.  Funny little story for you....

Last year while in Vegas I was walking between New York New York and MGM, over the bridge.  I walked past a 'homeless' guy.  Rather than the usual "Can you spare any change" he said to me "Where did you get that shirt?  Gay-mart?"...It really cracked me up and I didn't have any cash on me so went to the ATM got him a coffee from Starbucks and give him the change.

Very much hoping to get to Vegas.  Not sure I'll win a package but have talked about going at the same time as the sky crew, as so many friends will be in Vegas then.  Be rude not to pay a visit the Walmart you mentioned too and get myself a new wardrope.  Do you think this would help me to become a right sort?

• edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Wow Tikay, I'm not sure I'm impressed with that weight gain.  Then again you have stated a number of times you have been hitting the gym hard so maybe it's muscle.  I'd be snap calling that. Funny you mention about the T-shirts.  Funny little story for you.... Last year while in Vegas I was walking between New York New York and MGM, over the bridge.  I walked past a 'homeless' guy.  Rather than the usual "Can you spare any change" he said to me "Where did you get that shirt?  Gay-mart?"...It really cracked me up and I didn't have any cash on me so went to the ATM got him a coffee from Starbucks and give him the change. Very much hoping to get to Vegas.  Not sure I'll win a package but have talked about going at the same time as the sky crew, as so many friends will be in Vegas then.  Be rude not to pay a visit the Walmart you mentioned too and get myself a new wardrope.  Do you think this would help me to become a right sort?
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Wouldnt get caught hanging around in that outfit.
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Wow Tikay, I'm not sure I'm impressed with that weight gain.  Then again you have stated a number of times you have been hitting the gym hard so maybe it's muscle.  I'd be snap calling that. Funny you mention about the T-shirts.  Funny little story for you.... Last year while in Vegas I was walking between New York New York and MGM, over the bridge.  I walked past a 'homeless' guy.  Rather than the usual "Can you spare any change" he said to me "Where did you get that shirt?  Gay-mart?"...It really cracked me up and I didn't have any cash on me so went to the ATM got him a coffee from Starbucks and give him the change. Very much hoping to get to Vegas.  Not sure I'll win a package but have talked about going at the same time as the sky crew, as so many friends will be in Vegas then.  Be rude not to pay a visit the Walmart you mentioned too and get myself a new wardrope.  Do you think this would help me to become a right sort?
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Fine judge, was Mr Homeless Guy.

Please note - you may well become a "right sort", but I'm an "absolute sort". Very different thing, that.

• edited February 2017
    A man can dream :(
  • edited February 2017
    Posted by Donttelmum

Walking round Vegas with no money on you?

Yeah I'm calling that airball.
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Walking round Vegas with no money on you? Yeah I'm calling that airball.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I can believe it if he'd just finished a cash session and Rara had been on his table 
  • edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I can believe it if he'd just finished a cash session and Rara had been on his table 
    Posted by Jac35
    Solid read
  • edited March 2017
    Hi Tony,
    I do not know if you saw it, Sky had a programme on Warren Buffett on Tuesday. 
    I did not watch it myself, but i know he is someone you admire, so , if you have Sky tv and can get the catch up service, go to Tuesday and it was on Sky Atlantic.
    Hope all is ok.
    Nick
  • edited March 2017
    Any news from Karen, aka MacacGirl1? It's a little worrying that we have not heard further from her.
    Posted by Tikay10

I'm more than fine, never better in fact.
    We've moved from the flat to a small house, but the list of jobs needed doing, seem to be increasing.
    Beside that, I'm too busy trolling some old duffer on a weekend to play :)
    Take care
    xx
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I'm more than fine, never better in fact. We've moved from the flat to a small house, but the list of jobs needed doing, seem to be increasing. Beside that, I'm too busy trolling some old duffer on a weekend to play :) Take care xx
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Golden :)
  • edited March 2017
    Hi Tony, I do not know if you saw it, Sky had a programme on Warren Buffett on Tuesday.  I did not watch it myself, but i know he is someone you admire, so , if you have Sky tv and can get the catch up service, go to Tuesday and it was on Sky Atlantic. Hope all is ok. Nick
    Posted by pompeynic

Best enjoyed with some pasta, bit of curry, roast dinner, chips, slice of pizza and some chicken nuggets.
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Best enjoyed with some pasta, bit of curry, roast dinner, chips, slice of pizza and some chicken nuggets.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    don,t forget the sausage rolls and pork pie
  • edited March 2017
    Hi Tony, I do not know if you saw it, Sky had a programme on Warren Buffett on Tuesday.  I did not watch it myself, but i know he is someone you admire, so , if you have Sky tv and can get the catch up service, go to Tuesday and it was on Sky Atlantic. Hope all is ok. Nick
    Posted by pompeynic

live your life backwards
    Fast forward to a 70 year old you and ask yourself, how would you have liked to live. What things do you think were most important, and then go back to present day and live your life accordingly.

Focus on value versus cost, dont worry about the cost of books or seminars, ask yourself instead what is the value I will recieve here. Value versus cost always. 

• edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : live your life backwards Fast forward to a 70 year old you and ask yourself, how would you have liked to live. What things do you think were most important, and then go back to present day and live your life accordingly. Focus on value versus cost, dont worry about the cost of books or seminars, ask yourself instead what is the value I will recieve here. Value versus cost always. 
    Posted by _kagawa_
    I like this

Of course in Tikays case he would have to do a rewind
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : live your life backwards Fast forward to a 70 year old you and ask yourself, how would you have liked to live. What things do you think were most important, and then go back to present day and live your life accordingly. Focus on value versus cost, dont worry about the cost of books or seminars, ask yourself instead what is the value I will recieve here. Value versus cost always. 
    Posted by _kagawa_
    Maybe Buffet should go back and pay what he owes the American people in taxes. Clever but smug .
    Of course thats my opinion and that of many others.
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I'm more than fine, never better in fact. We've moved from the flat to a small house, but the list of jobs needed doing, seem to be increasing. Beside that, I'm too busy trolling some old duffer on a weekend to play :) Take care xx
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Hi Karen,

So pleased you are now OK. I do worry about your health, what with your age, & weight.

Sad news is that the DYM PLO8 games are almost dead, it's a struggle to get 3 tables going most nights, but no complaints, we had a good run.

xx
  • edited March 2017
    Posted by pompeynic
    Wish I had seen that Nick. Think I've read every book about Warren, including all the authorised & unauthorised biographies. An extraordinary man in every way, there is no finer businessman on earth imo. All his accumulate wealth goes to charity when he dies, too.

He's 86 years old now, & his partner, Charlie, is 93. Charlie once said this gem as to how to judge a business or balance sheet;

"The liabilities are always 100% good. It's the assets you have to worry about."

If you enjoy reading, & business, you'll not find a better read than the Berkshire Hathaway collected Shareholder Letters, here;

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/letters.html

How are you now mate? Not seen you for ages. Hope your health is now OK, & all is well with you & your family.