You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Diary of a fledgling player

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Hi Peter, You were my lucky charm yesterday, i played the 1.10 deepsatake at 7.45 and was 4th, lets hope this ends my bad run. thank you peter. You be lucky. Take care. From truly56
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player:
    Hi Peter, You were my lucky charm yesterday, i played the 1.10 deepsatake at 7.45 and was 4th, lets hope this ends my bad run. thank you peter. You be lucky. Take care. From truly56
    Posted by truly56
    Delighted I could help! ;-) x
  • edited April 2014
    Day 132 (Friday)

Played 5 x £3.30 Double Your Money (results: 5th, 4th, 5th, 1st, 1st)

Mini "100 x £3.30 DYM" Challenge

Played: 41
    Cashes: 25
    Fails: 16

Balance now £118.90.
  • edited April 2014
    Day 133 (Sunday)

Played 6 x £3.30 Double Your Money (results: 5th, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 3rd, 3rd)

Day 134 (Monday - a terrible day!!)

Played 6 x £3.30 Double Your Money (results: 6th, 5th, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 4th)

Played: 53
    Cashes: 30
    Fails: 23

Balance now dropped considerably to £109.30. We all have bad days occasionally, it is important that I have a profitable day next time I play though!
  • edited May 2014
    Had a few days away from poker, but now back and raring to go! :-)
  • edited May 2014
    Day 135 (Tuesday)

Played 14 x £3.30 Double Your Money (results: 2nd, 4th, 1st, 4th, 1st, 4th, 1st, 5th, 5th) ..

.. they were my first nine results. Stood at 4 cashes, 5 fails - quickly realised that is just wasn't working. After going back an analysing my play I came to the conclusion that I was playing WAY too loose. I decided to tighten up:

(rest of the results: 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd) - yep, 100% cashes! I find it incredible that such a small tweak could be the difference between success and failure - poker is an incredible game. It is also justification for me that I can be a good player when I'm fully concentrating on my play :-)

Played: 67
    Cashes: 39
    Fails: 28

Balance now £117.10. Really want to push on past £125 now!
  • edited May 2014
    Day 135 (Tuesday) Played 14 x £3.30 Double Your Money (results: 2nd, 4th, 1st, 4th, 1st, 4th, 1st, 5th, 5th) .. .. they were my first nine results. Stood at 4 cashes, 5 fails - quickly realised that is just wasn't working. After going back an analysing my play I came to the conclusion that I was playing WAY too loose. I decided to tighten up: (rest of the results: 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd) - yep, 100% cashes! I find it incredible that such a small tweak could be the difference between success and failure - poker is an incredible game. It is also justification for me that I can be a good player when I'm fully concentrating on my play :-) Mini "100 x £3.30 DYM" Challenge Played : 67 Cashes : 39 Fails : 28 Balance now £117.10. Really want to push on past £125 now!
    Posted by peter27
    YO! Good work Peter

• edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : YO! Good work Peter
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Thanks Gary!

I realise I have yet to get round to your private message by the way - I have read them but have not had a chance to respond yet, will try today :-)
  • edited May 2014
    Well done Peter. I'm not sure if you saw it but Ross Jarvis and Ric Orford did a whole hour on DYM play. Try find it on YouTube or look out for it being repeated. Should help you a lot.
  • edited May 2014
    Well done Peter. I'm not sure if you saw it but Ross Jarvis and Ric Orford did a whole hour on DYM play. Try find it on YouTube or look out for it being repeated. Should help you a lot.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    I did see that, and was one of the people who originally requested it :-)

Many thanks for the tip though, very thoughtful.
  • edited May 2014
    Day 136 (Wednesday)

Played 13 x £3.30 Double Your Money (results: 4th, 2nd, 5th, 1st, 4th, 4th, cashed, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 3rd)

One result is just "cashed" as I disconnected and am not sure which position I finished in, balance went up however :-)

Played: 80
    Cashes: 47
    Fails: 33

Balance now £122.89. Balance going up slowly but surely!
  • edited May 2014
    Just realised I forgot to add on my Heads-Up results from yesterday (as part of Larson's on-going forum competition)

Played 3 x £1 Heads-Up (results: 1st, 2nd, 2nd)

Balance was correct however.
  • edited May 2014
    Get researching for the F1 this week!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited May 2014
    Get researching for the F1 this week!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by ff55hh
    Haha, I literally just posted my bets ;-)
  • edited May 2014
    Day 137 (Thursday)

Thought I would post yesterday's results while I am waiting for the first practice session to start ahead of this weekend's Spanish GP.

Played 10 x £3.30 Double Your Money (results: 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd)
    Played 4 x £1 Russian Roulette (results: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st)
    Played 4 x £1 Heads-Up (results: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd)
    Played 1 x £12K Super Sat (result: didn't qualify)

Diversified my games yesterday. Played the Russian Roulette games because I saw a Sky Poker regular sitting at the table (Lambert180) and fancied a few hands with him, and the Heads-Up battles were part of Larson's forum competition - both those went down pretty horrifically!

However I more than made up for it through the DYM's, 9/10 cashes - my best ever run over 10 games!

Played: 90
    Cashes: 56
    Fails: 34

Balance now £133.69, starting to make some progress again. Will update the first post now.
  • edited May 2014
    9/10 is really good going, however, I looks like at best you managed five in a row. Try aiming for 6 & 7 in a row! my personal record is seven, back in the days when I was good at them!
  • edited May 2014
    9/10 is really good going, however, I looks like at best you managed five in a row. Try aiming for 6 & 7 in a row! my personal record is seven, back in the days when I was good at them!
    Posted by GaryLaud
    I have been thinking about this lately, my best is 7. I talked to one of the DYM regulars on Sky Poker though and he says his best is 13!! O_O
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : I have been thinking about this lately, my best is 7. I talked to one of the DYM regulars on Sky Poker though and he says his best is 13!! O_O
    Posted by peter27
    Ive done 14 on the spin before all £5.50 those stakes the play is so poor! you cant lose !
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Ive done 14 on the spin before all £5.50 those stakes the play is so poor! you cant lose !
    Posted by alex1229
    I've heard many people say that the £5.50 games are easier than the £3.30 games - doesn't make sense really, but if the next level is going to be easier, I'm not complaining!! :-)
  • edited May 2014
    Day 138 (Friday)

Played 10 x £3.30 Double Your Money (results: 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 4th, 4th, 5th)

Not the best end to my 100 DYM challenge, 4 cashes, 6 losses ..

Played: 100
    Cashes: 60
    Fails: 40

Being ultra competitive, I couldn't leave it like that though, so I played four more:

Played 4 x £3.30 Double Your Money (results: 5th, 1st, 4th, 2nd)

Yeah ... it didn't help. I guess it just wasn't my day!

Anyway, my balance is now £123.49. The plan now is to move up to the £5.50 level. Ideally I would like to spend more time at £3.30 to increase the bankroll a little bit, but with the 6-Max UKPC Challenge going on, and with only tournaments that have a minimum buy-in of £5.50 counting - I don't want to wait.

However, I want to fully concentrate on this promotion, so I will only be one-tabling. Also, as soon as my balance drops below £100, I will drop back down to £3.30 to follow some sort of bankroll management.
  • edited May 2014
    Day 139 (Saturday)

... ugh!

Played 3 x £5.50 Double Your Money (results: 4th, 5th, 6th)

Well that was pretty horrific ..

Not entirely sure what to do now, I am very keen to move up but I guess I have to now stay at the £3.30 level. Very open to suggestions at this point! Balance is £106.99.
  • edited May 2014
    Just played two more and came 6th & 4th, starting to get very frustrated ..

I feel like I'm playing well, keep not hitting anything at all however :/
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    poker0007 Small blind   150.00 150.00 2205.00
    peter27 Big blind   300.00 450.00 1780.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

zammo1969 Call   300.00 750.00 4640.00
    Scratville Fold        
    poker0007 Fold        
    peter27 All-in   1780.00 2530.00 0.00
    zammo1969 Call   1780.00 4310.00 2860.00
    peter27 Show
    • A
    • Q

zammo1969 Show
    • A
    • J

Flop

Turn

River

• J

zammo1969 Win Pair of Jacks 4310.00   7170.00
  • edited May 2014
    I think you should stay at £3.30 for now, build up your roll a bit more then take shots at £5.50. After the 9/10 run you had, would probably of continued a bit more

Your unfortunate losses just un ravels your hard work a little but it aint over.

Keep it up. Anything come through re: F1
  • edited May 2014
    I think you should stay at £3.30 for now, build up your roll a bit more then take shots at £5.50. After the 9/10 run you had, would probably of continued a bit more Your unfortunate losses just un ravels your hard work a little but it aint over. Keep it up. Anything come through re: F1
    Posted by Tahtrizzle
    I probably should, but I do feel a little bored of the DYM's now in all honesty :/

In terms of the F1 betting, I did recently win £75 for Mercedes winning the first five races which was nice :-)
  • edited May 2014
    Took a break from playing over my birthday weekend, but I'm back now and decided to play some MTT's yesterday:

Day 140 (Monday)

Played 1 x £2.20 @ 2:20 (result: 8th, only the top five cashed though)
    Played 1 x £2.30 Speed B/Hunter (result: 11th, 0 heads)
    Played 1 x £100 Gtd (30 mins) (result: 5th for £8.92)

Balance now £97.11.

Not really sure what the plan is from this point on, but for now I will just be playing whatever I fancy (low stake though, always using BRM).
  • edited May 2014
    Day 141 (Tuesday)

Played 1 x £150 Bounty Hunter (result: knocked out early)
    Played 1 x £50 Gtd (15 mins) (result: 12th - didn't cash)
    Played 2 x £5K Turbo Direct (results: 4th, 7th - didn't qualify either time)
    Played 3 x £3.30 Double Your Money (results: 6th, 3rd, 4th)

Really not playing good poker right now, not sure if it is because I'm losing money and unconfident or because I feel very ill - really not sure where to go from here.

Balance is now £81.81, will update the first post now.
  • edited May 2014
    Day 142 (Wednesday)

Played 1 x £2.20 @ 2:20 (result: 2nd for £17)

First cash in an MTT for a long time! Was quite satisfying, ran well & played well - now I need to build on this success.

Balance now £96.61, will update the first post now.
  • edited May 2014
    Day 143 (Friday)

Didn't play at all on Thursday, but Friday:

Played 1 x £2.20 @ 2:20 (result: 8th - needed top 6 to cash)

Got to say, I've been doing quite well in that tournament lately! Played it three times in the last week and finished 8th, 2nd & 8th. From fields of 35-50, that's quite good! Maybe I'm finding a form of poker I'm very suited too? Although I have to admit, I do get a little bored in them sometimes, I just prefer turbo-style events.

I also played a little cash poker when I was bored last night! Started on £4, and did hit £6.50 at one point, but eventually finished my session on £4.81.

Balance now £93.02.
  • edited May 2014
    Peter,
    Have you considered giving the freerolls a shot? There are three £20gtd FR's held every morning at 10, 12n, 2pm and another one at 1am and 6-6:30am. all of these only require 10ppts to buy in and are hyper turbo's with 3min blinds, 2000 chip starting stacks. Usually on Saturday afternoon's there is a Social Freeroll but today it's not in the lobby as I look at 12:50pm, so I doubt it's going ahead. When it does run usually held at 3pm, but I cannot remember the structure TBF.
  • edited May 2014
    Peter, Have you considered giving the freerolls a shot? There are three £20gtd FR's held every morning at 10, 12n, 2pm and another one at 1am and 6-6:30am. all of these only require 10ppts to buy in and are hyper turbo's with 3min blinds, 2000 chip starting stacks. Usually on Saturday afternoon's there is a Social Freeroll but today it's not in the lobby as I look at 12:50pm, so I doubt it's going ahead. When it does run usually held at 3pm, but I cannot remember the structure TBF.
    Posted by GaryLaud
    I used to play the freerolls a lot when I was between £10-20, but the fields are usually really big with prizes fairly low so I don't really feel like it is worth my time at this bankroll. Could just play a DYM instead.

I do play the social freeroll when I get time though, prize pool is usually fairly substantial. I'm pretty sure I saw an advert for it on twitter today, so I think it did happen. Would still be going on probably.