You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Diary of a fledgling player

Comments

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player:
    Hi Peter You don't really have a chance in the promo playing 2.25 DYMs to be honest. You are going well keep it up. Once you hit the £100 I would start adding £3.30 DYMs in as the rake is less in these e.g. play one table of each. Then eventually drop the 2.25s.
    Posted by stuarty117
    I'm not sure I would agree with that, if I maintained my win rate over the last two days across a week or so - I would have a high enough % to be at least on the leaderboard! The problem is that I had a really poor start.

My plan was to move up to £3.30 when I had played 100 x £2.20 games because I have proven that through playing one type of game, I can eventually make a profit - or at least it looks that way at the moment. As I'm progressing right now, I could well hit £100 after 100 x £2.20 games :-)

• edited March 2014
    Day 117 (Monday)

Played 5 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 3rd, 1st, 6th, 6th, 4th)

Day 118
    (Tuesday)

Played 4 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 1st, 1st, 5th, 3rd)
    Played 1 x £5K Turbo Open (result: 105th/534)*

Mini "100 x £2 DYM" Challenge

Played: 88
    Cashes: 50
    Fails: 38

*Entry was free thanks to Sky Poker TV, happy with that result considering how card dead I was in the early stages.
  • edited March 2014
    Day 119

Played 5 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 6th, 2nd, 4th, 3rd, 6th)

Played: 93
    Cashes: 52
    Fails: 41

Not the best day at the tables, I ran really badly. In all three tournaments I failed to cash in, I got my chips in ahead - but fell behind on the turn or river. Not complaining too much though, it happens!

I did make a mistake with my balance though! I keep forgetting to exclude money made on Sky Bet - my actual poker balance is £73.91. Will update the first post now.

I am coming towards the end of my DYM challenge, and the cashes column is not as high as I would like. However, I will still move up level when this is complete. I feel like a MUCH better DYM player now, and I feel like I can easily justify every decision I make - confidence is high :-)
  • edited March 2014
    Day 120 (part one)

Played 7 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 6th, 3rd, 3rd)

Played: 100
    Cashes: 57
    Fails: 43

And that's the end of my mini challenge! 57% cash rate, not as high as I expected - but my results towards the end were considerably better than my results at the start, I've definitely improved!! Now moving on up to the £3.30 level :-)

Balance is £78.16, I expect to be on £100+ after I have completed 100 x £3.30 DYM's.
  • edited March 2014
    Day 120 (part two)

Played 1 x £3.30 Double Your Money (result: 3rd)

Mini "100 x £3.30 DYM" Challenge

Played: 1
    Cashes: 1
    Fails: 0

Was planning on playing more tonight - I'm up until very late to watch the F1 practice sessions. However my internet keeps dropping out so I'm going to stop for tonight. Balance is £80.86 :-)
  • edited March 2014
    Day 121

Played 8 x £3.30 Double Your Money (results: 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 3rd, 5th, 2nd)

Played: 9
    Cashes: 5
    Fails: 4

I've had better days! Twice I got my chips in while dominating the other player - and both times I lost the hand! It happens though, just a little annoying. Balance now £78.46.

Just want to give a little shout-out to spinky6108. I met them on the tables today and they said they read my diary which is nice :-)
  • edited March 2014
    Day 122

Played 4 x £3.30 Double Your Money (results: 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd)

Played: 13
    Cashes: 9
    Fails: 4

Also played two other tournaments today:

Played 1 x £2K Rewards Freeroll (result: 122nd, no cash)
    Played 1 x 6-Max Versus Speed (result 1st out of 18 for £9!)

Not making a habit of playing MTT's again and blowing my bankroll like last time. The rewards freeroll was free entry as I had gained a certain amount of points during the last 15 days or so, and the 6-Max Versus Speed was a new type of tournament I just wanted to try, was only £1.10 entry.

Balance is now £97.16, will update the first post now. I've had worse days!!
  • edited March 2014
    Day 123

Played 1 x £3.30 Double Your Money (result: 6th)

Played: 14
    Cashes: 9
    Fails: 5

Didn't play Sunday due to work. Played one today and was out in the second hand. Called an all-in with KQ off. They had A6 off. Yep, dumb move by me! I am so tired and just thought "why not?" - bad play, I shouldn't play when tired. My activity will be quite low again for the next few days - work is hectic and I will often be starting at 3AM!
  • edited March 2014
    Day 123 Played 1 x £3.30 Double Your Money (result: 6th) Mini "100 x £3.30 DYM" Challenge Played : 14 Cashes : 9 Fails : 5 Didn't play Sunday due to work. Played one today and was out in the second hand. Called an all-in with KQ off. They had A6 off. Yep, dumb move by me! I am so tired and just thought "why not?" - bad play, I shouldn't play when tired. My activity will be quite low again for the next few days - work is hectic and I will often be starting at 3AM!
    Posted by peter27
    In fairness Peter that call against that player wasnt that bad lol I'm not sure he folded again after you left! and was out in 5th
  • edited April 2014
    Mini "100 x £3.30 DYM"
    Posted by peter27
    LOVING your diary! 

Where are you finding these DYM's mate? Sounds as if you are adopting a similar strategy to me in playing DYM's, although Im starting small and until tonight, I was regularly succeeding at the 30p TURBO DYM's, and thought at the time "if this carries on, I'm going to move upto the 60p DYM's full time"

I Played four games tonight and lost them ALL, really lucking out, compared to my previous two sessions of break-even and before that completing a profit of around 60p-80p! I even had two bad beats - won't Hijack your thread but have a read of my own diary here:- which have setup a link for you:- just click the "LINK" word and it'll work it's magic!!! 

Will be tracking this diary with much interest to see how your progress compares...
    regards
    gary
  • edited April 2014
    Day 124

Played 9 x £3.30 Double Your Money (results: 6th, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd)

Played: 23
    Cashes: 15
    Fails: 8

So much for my activity being low! I couldn't resist playing today, was just in a poker mood. I started dismally, but really got my act together towards the end to register five cashes in a row, was playing and running very well :-)

Balance is now £100.16, will update the first post now. Thanks for the messages above, I shall reply in the next few days - also have a few hands I want to post in the poker clinic too (when I get time that is, working 5AM-8PM tomorrow)!
  • edited April 2014
    Day 125 (Friday)

Played 1 x Grand National FR (result: 809th/2372)
    Played 1 x Free Sats FR (result: 204th/517)

Day 126 (Saturday)

Played 2 x £3.30 Double Your Money (results: 3rd, 4th*)

*Played like an idiot in this tournament! Had nearly 5000 chips but I was tired and not concentrating, so I was playing very loose. Deserved not to cash.

Played: 25
    Cashes: 16
    Fails: 9

Balance now £102.70.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : In fairness Peter that call against that player wasnt that bad lol I'm not sure he folded again after you left! and was out in 5th
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Perhaps - but I didn't have any notes on the player when I made the call - so it was pretty bad play!

In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : LOVING your diary!  Where are you finding these DYM's mate? Sounds as if you are adopting a similar strategy to me in playing DYM's, although Im starting small and until tonight, I was regularly succeeding at the 30p TURBO DYM's, and thought at the time "if this carries on, I'm going to move upto the 60p DYM's full time" I Played four games tonight and lost them ALL, really lucking out, compared to my previous two sessions of break-even and before that completing a profit of around 60p-80p! I even had two bad beats - won't Hijack your thread but have a read of my own diary here:- which have setup a  link  for you:- just click the "LINK" word and it'll work it's magic!!!  Will be tracking this diary with much interest to see how your progress compares... regards gary
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Thanks for the kind words! I'm still surprised anybody cares about my progress so I am very flattered! Where am I finding the DYM's? Sky Poker of course!! :D

Yeah, luck is a big factor in DYM's sometimes, more so at the lower levels where the rake is crippling. There is a big confidence aspect to it also. When you're having a period of bad luck, it puts you off playing. My advice is to set yourself a block of games to play like I did with my mini DYM challenge ... and then see where you stand after you have played all the games you set out to do :-)

Sure, I'm more than happy to keep track of your progress, should be interesting to see how we compare :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Been meaning to post this for a while, but never really got round to it. Was two-tabling and got exactly the same hand on both tables! Probably not such a big thing for most people, but it's the first time I've seen it and it freaked me out .. :p

• edited April 2014
    Hi Peter,
    i've been away from Sky poker for the last 6 weeks or so. only just caught up with your diary.
    the £2 with the 12.5% rake are always going to be dificult to beat, so your £3 profit for the 100 games is better than ok, especially as i'm sure you were making more mistakes at the start of your challenge.
    i think you will enjoy the £3's and i'm sure you should make more money at this level.
    i see you are playing 2 tables now, well done.
    best wishes,
    dev

• edited April 2014
    Hi Peter, i've been away from Sky poker for the last 6 weeks or so. only just caught up with your diary. the £2 with the 12.5% rake are always going to be dificult to beat, so your £3 profit for the 100 games is better than ok, especially as i'm sure you were making more mistakes at the start of your challenge. i think you will enjoy the £3's and i'm sure you should make more money at this level. i see you are playing 2 tables now, well done. best wishes, dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Thanks for the kind words - I will certainly do my best! :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Day 127

Played 2 x £3.30 Double Your Money (results: 5th, 2nd)

Played: 27
    Cashes: 17
    Fails: 10

Balance now £102.10.
  • edited April 2014
    Thoughts on the new F1 season?

Cars too quiet?
  • edited April 2014
    Been meaning to post this for a while, but never really got round to it. Was two-tabling and got exactly the same hand on both tables! Probably not such a big thing for most people, but it's the first time I've seen it and it freaked me out .. :p
    Posted by peter27
    lol my stupid brain is often spotting these, a few times I've had 3 or even 4 tables spit out the same hand to me... I suppose those sort of patterns are statistical normalaties, it's just that the human brain notices them far more than the thousands of other unmatched hands we're used to seeing!

GL with the challenge... do you have a plan for what comes next?  Up to the 5.50 DYM for a similar challenge or start putting more time into MTT / Cash?
  • edited April 2014
    Thoughts on the new F1 season? Cars too quiet?
    Posted by VespaPX
    I think the new season is great and people should stop complaining to be honest. I hate the argument that "this is not real F1", it makes no sense. F1 is what the FIA say - regardless of whether that is good or bad.

It would be nice if the engines were noisier, they don't take your breath away or shake your bones anymore. Although I am enjoying hearing other things such as tyres squealing under breaking! Having said that, I'm told that they sound very different in person - and I have yet to experience that.

In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : lol my stupid brain is often spotting these, a few times I've had 3 or even 4 tables spit out the same hand to me... I suppose those sort of patterns are statistical normalaties, it's just that the human brain notices them far more than the thousands of other unmatched hands we're used to seeing! GL with the challenge... do you have a plan for what comes next?  Up to the 5.50 DYM for a similar challenge or start putting more time into MTT / Cash?
    Posted by shakinaces
    Yeah, I imagine people often have this - it's just the first time I personally saw it :p

Well - after I completed the hundred £3.30 DYM's, yes, I will move up to the £5.50 level - presuming I have the bankroll to do so. In terms of my bankroll, I am looking to get to £1000 and then withdraw £500 :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Well, clearly doing a better job than me mate! I've lost my B/R Challenge as now down to 20p and unable to play any more DYM's or anything which leaves me with just the poker points to participate in freerolls.
  • edited April 2014
    After working very hard for the past week or so, I will now be back playing poker again from tomorrow - very excited!!

On my last update, my balance was £102.10 - however that has shot up to £127.10. This was not through playing though. I earned a nice £25 prize/bonus for completing a survey about Sky Vegas! The money has gone into my balance and is useable for poker and so it goes straight into my bankroll :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Well, clearly doing a better job than me mate! I've lost my B/R Challenge as now down to 20p and unable to play any more DYM's or anything which leaves me with just the poker points to participate in freerolls.
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Oh dear - what are your plans now then? Re-deposit?

I'll probably come across your diary later on tonight - these are literally the first few posts I am making after my little break.
  • edited April 2014
    Nice to see you back Peter :)
    GL!
  • edited April 2014
    Nice to see you back Peter :) GL!
    Posted by mrsduck
    Thank you very much mrsduck!

I like the username haha :D
  • edited April 2014
    Right, so as it turns out, I didn't play yesterday - was catching up on e-mails and wasn't really in the right frame of mind.

I will be playing today though, just as UKOPS begins!! Don't worry, I won't go crazy like I did in the past. I will be entering a maximum of one satellite per day, at a maximum price of £3. I have already entered the £4K UKOPS Direct for £2.40 at 1:20. If I lose then I will be back on the DYM's.

Wish me luck! :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Day 128

Played 1 x £4K UKOPS Direct (result: 4th/28 - needed 3rd for cash!!)*
    Played 1 x £4K UKOPS FR (result: out very early)
    Played 1 x Free Seats FR (result: 48th/450 - getting in KK vs AA did the damage)

*Exit hand, feedback welcome:
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    jalupen101 Small blind   300.00 300.00 10260.00
    simplesh01 Big blind   600.00 900.00 17835.00
      Your hole cards

QueenKiz Fold        
    peter27 All-in   6555.00 7455.00 0.00
    jalupen101 Fold        
    simplesh01 Call   5955.00 13410.00 11880.00
    simplesh01 Show
    • K
    • A

peter27 Show

Flop

Turn

• A

River

simplesh01 Win Pair of Aces 13410.00   25290.00
    Didn't play any DYM's today, but here is my record so far anyway:

Balance now £124.70, will update the first post now :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Day 129

Didn't play yesterday (Saturday), but really had a lot of fun today! I said that I would not spend more than £3 per day on UKOPS. I decided to amalgamate the Saturday £3 (which I didn't spend) and today's £3 to enter the £6 buy-in £8K UKOPS Direct tournment. Result below:

Played 1 x £8K UKOPS Direct (result: 1st/15 - qualified!)
    Played 1 x £8K UKOPS B/H (result: out after just over one hour, no heads)

Delighted to have qualified for the BH, just wish I had taken one head - would have meant a profit. Was a bit of a crazy tournament for me actually, kept jumping quite dramatically between starting stack and nothing ... I was playing aggressively, but I did actually have decent cards behind me too, kept getting cruel flops though. The one that stands out in the memory is getting it in pre with the hand that always screws me (AK suited, OTB) and coming up against AQ unsuited. Flop comes AQx, big loss for me. That's poker sometimes though!

Not going to play UKOPS tomorrow, but I will hit the DYM's! Record is currently:

Balance now £118.70 :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Day 130 (Monday)

Had a tonne of fun yesterday! Started 3-tabling and found it surprisingly easy!! :-)

Played 9 x £3.30 Double Your Money (results: 6th, 6th, 5th, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd)

Interesting that the first three games I wasn't concentrating and did very badly - and the last six games where I was concentrating, I was awesome :p Seriously, playing really well - I feel like I'm now getting this poker malarchy!

Particularly proud of this hand:
    DARWISH Small blind   50.00 50.00 2315.00
    peter27 Big blind   100.00 150.00 2058.00
      Your hole cards

ais Fold        
    gurns1 Fold        
    iris43 Call   100.00 250.00 2232.50
    DARWISH Fold        
    peter27 Check        
    Flop

peter27 Bet   125.00 375.00 1933.00
    iris43 Call   125.00 500.00 2107.50
    Turn

• A

peter27 Bet   250.00 750.00 1683.00
    iris43 Call   250.00 1000.00 1857.50
    River

peter27 Check        
    iris43 Bet   400.00 1400.00 1457.50
    peter27 Call   400.00 1800.00 1283.00
    iris43 Show
    • Q

peter27 Show

peter27 Win Two Pairs, 9s and 6s 1800.00   3083.00

Played: 36
    Cashes: 23
    Fails: 13

Balance now £124 :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Day 131 Wednesday

Instead of DYM's today I was playing mostly HU games (as part of Larson's forum competition).

Played 8 x £1 Heads-Up (results: 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st)
    Played 1 x Rainman* Deep Stack (result: 8th/42, top six got paid. A little annoying to be out so close to the cash, but it was good fun!)

*Promised him I would play it - you all know the tournament I mean, the £2.20 @ 2:20.

Had these two hands in the space of five minutes today:

1)
    daphne56 Small blind   75.00 75.00 7943.00
    buck274 Big blind   150.00 225.00 11685.00
      Your hole cards

peter27 Call   150.00 375.00 11835.90
    ECCENTRIC Call   150.00 525.00 2593.50
    cb1ooo Fold        
    council005 Fold        
    daphne56 Call   75.00 600.00 7868.00
    buck274 Check