You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Diary of a fledgling player

1121314151618»

Comments

• edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player:
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Well that makes two of us then .. With the blinds 25/50, I think the raise was okay, perhaps should have been bigger mind. However, I should have folded once the re-raise came in. Not sure why I called; stubborness? Do you agree with my assessment?
    Posted by peter27

If you're gonna 3bet it needs to be bigger, you've basically just clicked it which is achieving nothing. Think I prefer flatting over 3betting due to table positions, its never gonna be easy playing 88 from the small blind so would lean towards calling to keep the pot a bit more modest if we go into check/call mode down the streets on favourable boards and run outs.

Probably is a fold when the bb pumps it up, someone better at maffs will be able to tell you if you have the correct pot odds to set mine. Thats assuming we are peeling to set mine and not take off on a 7 high flop....
  • edited August 2016
    Hi all,

After a period of sporadic inactivity, it's time to start taking poker seriously again. I'm looking to make some money from this, and my best forms of poker, by far, are DYM's and satellites - so this will be my focus.

There are 125 days left until 1st January 2017. I'm setting myself the goal of playing an absolute minimum of 250 DYM's in that time. Then, with that data, I'll look at my results and see where I stand. I'm not beyond going to a poker trainer to improve my results if I don't do as well as expected; let's see how we go.

I'll be looking to play at the £55 level, but anything from £22 upwards is okay, depending on table availability.

This begins now.
  • edited August 2016
    250 is a really low sample size to try and gauge anything from it.
  • edited August 2016
    250 is a really low sample size to try and gauge anything from it.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Really low? I'm not sure I would have said really low for the level of variance you get in DYM's in all honesty, but I take on board your comment.

The 250 figure is just a target that takes me to 1st Jan, beyond that, my options are open.
  • edited August 2016
    Target: 250 DYM's complete by 01/01/2017.

Completed: 2
    Profit: £67.00

Breakdown:
    £55 (cashes: 1, fails: 0)
    £33 (cashes: 0, fails: 1)
    £22 (cashes: 0, fails: 0)
    Overall (cashes: 1, fails: 1)
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Really low? I'm not sure I would have said really low for the level of variance you get in DYM's in all honesty, but I take on board your comment. The 250 figure is just a target that takes me to 1st Jan, beyond that, my options are open.
    Posted by peter27
    i would say at least 2000 games to get a realistic idea of how you're doing at dyms
  • edited August 2016
    Target: 250 DYM's complete by 01/01/2017. Completed: 2 Profit: £67.00 Breakdown: £55 (cashes: 1, fails: 0) £33 (cashes: 0, fails: 1) £22 (cashes: 0, fails: 0) Overall (cashes: 1, fails: 1)
    Posted by peter27
    I'm a little confused here. you appear to have buy-ins of £88.00, and a DYM cash which looks like £100.00.
    How does £(100-88) equal a profit of £67.00?
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Really low? I'm not sure I would have said really low for the level of variance you get in DYM's in all honesty, but I take on board your comment. The 250 figure is just a target that takes me to 1st Jan, beyond that, my options are open.
    Posted by peter27

Yes, 250 is a very low sample size, esp for DYMs when they can be multi tabled 24/7 (within reason). So whatever data you get from your results I'd take with a pinch of salt IMO. Not even sure what data you'll be looking for tbh! But whatever it is it isn't gonna paint much of a picture, win lose or draw.

I think your profit is £12 btw (staked £88, returned £100)
  • edited August 2016
    Well, like I said, 250 games is just my target until the start of 2017 - based on my time constraints.

There's no reason I can't go beyond that figure over a longer period of time. This target was purely to drive me to keep playing, and putting in the time :)

As for my profit, cut me some slack .. it's late on a Sunday xD

Corrected:

Completed: 2
    Profit: £12.00

Breakdown:
    £33 (cashes: 0, fails: 1)
    Overall (cashes: 1, fails: 1)
  • edited August 2016

Completed: 3
    Profit: - £21.00

Breakdown:
    £33 (cashes: 0, fails: 2)
    Overall (cashes: 1, fails: 2)
  • edited August 2016

Completed: 4
    Profit: £6.00

Breakdown:
    £33 (cashes: 1, fails: 2)
    Overall (cashes: 2, fails: 2)
  • edited September 2016
    Weekend update:

Completed: 11
    Profit: - £71.00

Breakdown:
    £55 (cashes: 2, fails: 2)
    £33 (cashes: 3, fails: 4)
    Overall (cashes: 5, fails: 6)
  • edited September 2016
    Hi Peter,

I was wondering why you are playing £55 dyms with a bankroll of £200? You'll be lucky to even get to 250 dyms without going broke. If you have deposited more for the purpose of your challenge then ignore me, but personally I think you need at least 20 buyins to be playing with, then move up or down the levels as necessary. 
  • edited September 2016
    Hi Peter, I was wondering why you are playing £55 dyms with a bankroll of £200? You'll be lucky to even get to 250 dyms without going broke. If you have deposited more for the purpose of your challenge then ignore me, but personally I think you need at least 20 buyins to be playing with, then move up or down the levels as necessary. 
    Posted by waller02
    What makes you think my bankroll is £200? Are you looking at a much older post perhaps?

Actually, my current account balance is £137.95, but I'm well aware that's probably not going to be enough, I'm more than happy to re-deposit multiple times over - that just happens to be the level of funds I had in my account at the time. I regularly place bets with SkyBet which causes some fluctuation also.

BRM is something I looked into heavily when I was previously grinding up the levels, but I appreciate the advice of course.
  • edited September 2016

Completed: 13
    Profit: - £99.00 (+ £2.50 from Sky Poker rewards)

Breakdown:
    £55 (cashes: 2, fails: 3)
    £33 (cashes: 4, fails: 4)
    Overall (cashes: 6, fails: 7)

Not the start I was hoping for, I'll keep pushing though.
  • edited September 2016
    I just thought the whole point of your diary was because you wanted to ensure that you stuck to good BRM and I was surprised to see you doing the exact opposite.

You have always said you want to be a player who withdraws and doesn't deposit. You just seem to be going against everything you have previously aimed for. Why?

I wish you luck of course and hope it pays off.
  • edited September 2016
    Good luck Peter

Might it help with variance to multi-table £11 (or £22) DYMs rather than single tabling the £55 ones?

Would also help you reach your target of 250 DYMs a bit quicker.

Either way, as I said above, all the best at the tables.

Andy
  • edited September 2016
    Hey just stumbled over this thread, how are you getting on?

What was behind your decision to play at that particular stake?

Wouldnt it be more fun to play more games for your budgeted spend?