You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Diary of a fledgling player

Comments

• edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player:
    Your raise sizing needs looking at. Just looks like you're clicking buttons.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I'm very surprised at this comment, as bet sizing is one of the things I have been trying to always consider in detail. That's why I've mentioned it at numerous points in the diary since I came back.

That being said, I do respect your experience, and would like to get more detail on why you think this way. With reference to the previous hand, I knew from the way the table was playing that any raise I made would result in all the money going in .. I chose the lazy option and min raised to achieve this.
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : I'm very surprised at this comment, as bet sizing is one of the things I have been trying to always consider in detail. That's why I've mentioned it at numerous points in the diary since I came back. That being said, I do respect your experience, and would like to get more detail on why you think this way. With reference to the previous hand, I knew from the way the table was playing that any raise I made would result in all the money going in .. I chose the lazy option and min raised to achieve this.
    Posted by peter27
    Pretty much the bolded bit at the end.

Though we ain't privy to table flow and dynamic so if it was done purposely to GII then fair enough. 3bet jamming and maximising fold equity, whilst also keeping your range as wide as possible, might be worth considering.
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Pretty much the bolded bit at the end. Though we ain't privy to table flow and dynamic so if it was done purposely to GII then fair enough. 3bet jamming and maximising fold equity, whilst also keeping your range as wide as possible, might be worth considering.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Okay, noted. Thanks for the advice, Harry, or whatever interpretation of your username is currently being used in these parts ;-)
  • edited February 2016
    Played in one £55 DYM today and finished 4th. Was completely card dead for the majority of the game, apart from one spot where I got QQ, see below.

DYM's
    Played: 7
    Cashed: 5 (1st x 4, 2nd x 1)
    Lost: 2 (4th x 1, 5th x 1)
    Total Staked: £385
    Total Won: £500
    Profit: £115

MTT's
    Played: 3
    Cashed: 2 (3rd x 1, 27th x 1)
    Lost: 1 (71st x 1)
    Total Staked: £30.70
    Total Won: £106.18
    Profit: £75.48

Total Profit: £115 + £75.48 = £190.48

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    scorpiok55 Small blind   10.00 10.00 1790.00
    GFKIJKLL Big blind   20.00 30.00 1980.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

topgun121 Fold        
    peter27 Raise   80.00 110.00 1920.00
    MrDirk Fold        
    DrewMcRobb Fold        
    scorpiok55 Call   70.00 180.00 1720.00
    GFKIJKLL Fold        
    Flop

• A

scorpiok55 Check        
    peter27 Bet   110.00 290.00 1810.00
    scorpiok55 Raise   220.00 510.00 1500.00
    peter27 Fold        
    scorpiok55 Muck        
    scorpiok55 Win   400.00   1900.00
    scorpiok55 Return   110.00 0.00 2010.00
    I really wasn't sure what to do post-flop here. Advice welcome. My thinking was that with a call pre-flop, and then the re-raise on the flop, they probably had an ace up their sleeve. What should have been my play here?
  • edited February 2016
    Played in two MTT's yesterday; and didn't manage to cash in any.

One was the £20K Billionth FR, and the other was the £10k Bounty Hunter (which I got free entry to because of a competition I won ages ago, thanks to Tikay for sorting that out).

I may not have cashed, but I did take one head to net a profit of £14.06 :)

DYM's

MTT's
    Played: 5
    Cashed: 2 (3rd x 1, 27th x 1)
    Lost: 3 (71st x 1, 121st x 1, 1519th x 1)
    Total Staked: £30.70
    Total Won: £120.24
    Profit: £89.54

Total Profit: £115 + £89.54 = £204.54
  • edited February 2016
    One tournament played today; a £300 Gtd Timed Tournament; and I managed to cash for £12.24. Entry fee was £5.50 minus £2.30 from Sky Poker Rewards.

DYM's

MTT's
    Played: 6
    Cashed: 3 (3rd x 1, 18th x 1, 27th x 1)
    Lost: 3 (71st x 1, 121st x 1, 1519th x 1)
    Total Staked: £33.90
    Total Won: £132.48
    Profit: £98.58

Total Profit: £115 + £98.58 = £213.58
  • edited May 2016
    So I have come to the sad realisation that my current lifestyle means I just don't posses the time required to play poker on a regular basis. That being said, this diary will continue to document my ups and down in the poker World, but there may well be long periods of inactivity.

Anyhow, I did find time to play a little over the last few days. I lost £22 in a bounty hunter and won in a £33 DYM.

In addition, I set myself the target of achieving the top 100 in this weeks "Mayhem Freerolls" competition. I played in today's tournament, and finished 8th for £30, taking five people out in the process - a good start.

Six more freerolls to go :)
  • edited May 2016
    Played one £55 DYM today, and finished 5th.

Also played in the Mayhem Freeroll, finishing in 41st for £4, as well as taking three players out.

That takes my total bounties to 8 which I think is pretty good with five days left. The winner of the competition last week got 30 after the seven days.

It should be noted that someone amazingly got 17 bounties yesterday .. that makes it very hard for everyone else if we assume that person takes part in more of these freerolls.
  • edited May 2016
    Played one £55 DYM today, and finished 5th. Also played in the Mayhem Freeroll, finishing in 41st for £4, as well as taking three players out. That takes my total bounties to 8 which I think is pretty good with five days left. The winner of the competition last week got 30 after the seven days. It should be noted that someone amazingly got 17 bounties yesterday .. that makes it very hard for everyone else if we assume that person takes part in more of these freerolls.
    Posted by peter27
    Not sure that's true, Peter, you are referring to Monday, & yes, the Leader as of Monday got 17 Heads.

Yesterday (Tuesday) he never got any heads, not even sure he played, but he's now in 2nd place, 8 Heads behind the new leader who has 25 Heads.

One swallow does not make a summer, & all that.   

• edited May 2016
    Hi Peter
    Any thoughts on the current F1 season?
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Not sure that's true, Peter, you are referring to Monday, & yes, the Leader as of Monday got 17 Heads. Yesterday (Tuesday) he never got any heads, not even sure he played, but he's now in 2nd place, 8 Heads behind the new leader who has 25 Heads. One swallow does not make a summer, & all that.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    True .. even so 25 heads after two days is massive, especially given that my target at the end of the competition was 30.

Hi Peter Any thoughts on the current F1 season?
    Posted by VespaPX
    Many.

- Rosberg will win the title easily.
    - McLaren will continue to perform fairly poorly.
    - Force India will become stronger and stronger as the season progresses, relative to competition.
    - Same can be said for Manor.

All just predictions of course :)
  • edited May 2016
    Well, today was a bit of a disaster in terms of the Mayhem Freeroll competition.

I got knocked out after 30 minutes or so, with no heads. Disastrous for my hopes. I'll keep trying, but am less hopeful now. I guess that's why they call it mayhem ..

I did win a £55 Heads-Up SNG though, so not all bad.
  • edited May 2016
    Well, today was a bit of a disaster in terms of the Mayhem Freeroll competition. I got knocked out after 30 minutes or so, with no heads. Disastrous for my hopes. I'll keep trying, but am less hopeful now. I guess that's why they call it mayhem .. I did win a £55 Heads-Up SNG though, so not all bad.
    Posted by peter27
    For the second time in two days, I got knocked out of the Mayhem Freeroll competition early, with zero heads. I need to absolutely blitz the next few days in order to move up the leaderboard and be a threat for the win.

Elsewhere, I played one £52.50 Heads-Up (Hyper), and won. I also entered tonight's main event (Bounty Hunter), and finished in 55th place, but I did take three heads to make a small profit.

As I was really trying hard to make an impact in the Mayhem Freeroll leaderboard, I'm quite disappointed, despite making a profit today. Poker is a strange game sometimes ..
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : For the second time in two days, I got knocked out of the Mayhem Freeroll competition early, with zero heads. I need to absolutely blitz the next few days in order to move up the leaderboard and be a threat for the win. Elsewhere, I played one £52.50 Heads-Up (Hyper), and won. I also entered tonight's main event (Bounty Hunter), and finished in 55th place, but I did take three heads to make a small profit. As I was really trying hard to make an impact in the Mayhem Freeroll leaderboard, I'm quite disappointed, despite making a profit today. Poker is a strange game sometimes ..
    Posted by peter27
    Still 2 more Mayhem league's to do well in buddy glglglgl
  • edited May 2016
    As you can probably tell from my lack of updates, my Mayhem Freeroll goal was destroyed when, for a third day in a row, I got knocked out early with zero heads. Disappointed really.

Speaking of zero heads, I played in the main event tonight, and I did run fairly deep (finished 43rd), but didn't manage to take any heads, or make the cash. To be fair though, I played poorly tonight.
  • edited May 2016
    Played in a £22 Bounty Hunter yesterday, but didn't manage to make any real impact before being knocked out.

Also entered today's £3.5k Vegas Semi. Satellites are, hands down, my most profitable form of poker, and it's rare to see one on Sky Poker that has such a high buy-in (£83), so I decided to play. Pre-registered for the Vegas final too, so that if I did qualify, I'd get the cash, rather than the seat.

I managed to finish 11th in the Semi, to win a seat (£380), then withdrew from the final itself. While a trip to Vegas would be fantastic, and I will do it at some point, right now, I'm happy to take the profit.
  • edited May 2016
    Hey Peter,

Would love to hear more about your sports betting.

Do you do that full time, or is it just a sideline? And what got you into it.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : True .. even so 25 heads after two days is massive, especially given that my target at the end of the competition was 30. In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Many. - Rosberg will win the title easily. - McLaren will continue to perform fairly poorly. - Force India will become stronger and stronger as the season progresses, relative to competition. - Same can be said for Manor. All just predictions of course :)
    Posted by peter27
    Unless it's a wet summer?
  • edited June 2016
    Hey Peter, Would love to hear more about your sports betting. Do you do that full time, or is it just a sideline? And what got you into it.
    Posted by LARSON7
    I started properly sports betting as soon as I could (18 in the UK) - saw it as a way to make money, plus, it's great fun. I probably showed a loss for my first two years, but it was more of a casual thing initially. I then started to get serious about it. It's not a full-time job by any stretch of the imagination, but it does supplement my income nicely. Motorsport and Football are my sports, purely because that's where my knowledge is. The only time I tend to bet on other sports is when I have had a tip off from an online community that Tikay heads up - I don't believe I am allowed to name ithat community here though.

Since the 2014 FIFA World Cup I have meticulously recorded every bet made. As things stand, I have made a profit of £4251.93, with a return on investment of 54.03%. I understand this is a very high percentage - even by professional gambler standards - either way, I'm happy with it. That's over a sample size of 650 bets by the way.

In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Unless it's a wet summer?
    Posted by Phantom66
    If every race from now until the end of the season is wet, Lewis would become a clear title favourite. He's considerably stronger in the wet than Nico, and most other drivers on the F1 grid too actually.
  • edited June 2016
    I agree Hamilton is probably the best in the wet, but these races that throw up a mixture of weather can often be won by the correct pit calls.
    Always note that you need to be on the right tyres at the right time.An example being i backed J Rea in wsb in play at 25-1 at Assen with about 5 laps to go. He was about 12seconds behind the leader but came in for full wets, putting him about a minute behind after the pit stop.He event!ually won by about 15 seconds as the former leader had no grip whatsoever as he was on degrading intermediates.
  • edited June 2016
    I agree Hamilton is probably the best in the wet, but these races that throw up a mixture of weather can often be won by the correct pit calls. Always note that you need to be on the right tyres at the right time.An example being i backed J Rea in wsb in play at 25-1 at Assen with about 5 laps to go. He was about 12seconds behind the leader but came in for full wets, putting him about a minute behind after the pit stop.He event!ually won by about 15 seconds as the former leader had no grip whatsoever as he was on degrading intermediates.
    Posted by chilling
    It's possible, although if we're talking Nico vs Lewis, the chances are they will make the same strategy calls being team mates.

Well done for the Rea bet! :)
  • edited July 2016
    The on-going WSOP has got me all fired up to play some poker.

I have noticed that Sky Poker are having a turbo weekend right now .. and turbo events are ones I enjoy, and usually do quite well in. One of my strongest forms of poker, along with satellites I would say. So this really is the perfect weekend for me to hit the tables again.

I'm going to spend the rest of the day playing, and hopefully I make some money at the end of it. Will try to post little updates every hour or so.

Starting Balance: £204.00
  • edited July 2016
    The on-going WSOP has got me all fired up to play some poker. I have noticed that Sky Poker are having a turbo weekend right now .. and turbo events are ones I enjoy, and usually do quite well in. One of my strongest forms of poker, along with satellites I would say. So this really is the perfect weekend for me to hit the tables again. I'm going to spend the rest of the day playing, and hopefully I make some money at the end of it. Will try to post little updates every hour or so. Starting Balance: £204.00
    Posted by peter27
    S.S #10 Direct Sat - 3rd, one away from money.
    £100 Gtd (30 mins) - 3rd - £16.20

Current Balance: £206.10 + (£7.20 tournament registration)
    Profit: £2.10 + (£7.20) = £9.30
  • edited July 2016
    I just pipped you Peter for second.And thanks  as I only jumped in after reading this thread earlier and having a nose around.
    Posted by chilling
    Well, enjoy, I guess! :)
  • edited July 2016
    S.S #10 Early Semi - knocked out early, poor decisions by me.
    S.S #10 Sat - 3rd- qualified for S.S #10 Semi.
    £20 Gtd Scary - 9th.

Current Balance: £202.30 + (£7.20 tournament registration)
    Profit: -1.70 + (£7.20) = £5.50

Small stakes so far, because it is mainly satellites I'm playing. This will obviously change dramatically as tonight's main events happen.
  • edited July 2016
    £400 Bounty Hunter - 20th, didn't cash.
    S.S #10 Direct Sat - 9th, no good.

This was the hand that did the damage in the S.S #10 Direct Sat:
    Player
    ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    brigee Small blind   300.00 300.00 5307.00
    newbie83 Big blind   600.00 900.00 3140.00
      Your hole cards

COBWEBSJ Fold        
    peter27 Raise   1200.00 2100.00 3219.00
    brigee Fold        
    newbie83 Call   600.00 2700.00 2540.00
    Flop

newbie83 Check        
    peter27 Bet   1500.00 4200.00 1719.00
    newbie83 Call   1500.00 5700.00 1040.00
    Turn

newbie83 Check        
    peter27 All-in   1719.00 7419.00 0.00
    newbie83 All-in   1040.00 8459.00 0.00
    peter27 Unmatched bet   679.00 7780.00 679.00
    newbie83 Show
    • K

peter27 Show

River

• A

newbie83 Win Three 4s 7780.00   7780.00
    Feedback welcome of course.

Current Balance: £187.70 + (£7.20 tournament registration)
    Loss: -16.30 + (£7.20) = - 9.10

Not going so well right now ..

• edited July 2016
    S.S #10 Direct Sat - 21st, downhill from the off. Card dead.
    S.S #10 Semi - 38th, same as above. Shoved <10BB's with 44, opponent had AJ, JJX on flop.

Starting Balance:
    £204.00
    Current Balance: £129.10 + (£55.00 tournament registrations)
    Loss: -74.90 + (£55.00) = £ - 19.90

Really not looking like my day today, but I'll plough on regardless. You never know when your luck could turn.

The £55 in tournament registrations are the Summer Series 10 (8PM UK time) and Summer Series 12 (9PM UK time) events which I have registered for.

Going to take a little break now until they kick off.

• edited July 2016
    Well, that was pants.

Summer Series 10 - 141st - card dead - exit hand below:
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    hu55tler1 Small blind   200.00 200.00 6690.00
    peter27 Big blind   400.00 600.00 1817.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

Limp2Lose Fold        
    extraman Raise   800.00 1400.00 5357.50
    Ramhead Fold        
    dudeham Fold        
    hu55tler1 Fold        
    peter27 All-in   1817.00 3217.00 0.00
    extraman Call   1417.00 4634.00 3940.50
    peter27 Show
    • J
    • J

extraman Show
    • A

Flop

• Q
    • Q

Turn

• A

River

extraman Win Two Pairs, Aces and Queens 4634.00   8574.50
    Summer Series 12 - out early - card dead:

Hand that did the damage:
    Player
    peter27 Small blind   25.00 25.00 3070.00
    cjy Big blind   50.00 75.00 2385.00
      Your hole cards

SnooZZa Raise   100.00 175.00 7242.50
    LitlGenral Fold        
    RogueCell Fold        
    peter27 Raise   150.00 325.00 2920.00
    cjy Raise   400.00 725.00 1985.00
    SnooZZa Fold        
    peter27 Call   275.00 1000.00 2645.00
    Flop

peter27 Bet   500.00 1500.00 2145.00
    cjy Call   500.00 2000.00 1485.00
    Turn

• J

peter27 Bet   1000.00 3000.00 1145.00
    cjy All-in   1485.00 4485.00 0.00
    peter27 Call   485.00 4970.00 660.00
    peter27 Show

cjy Show
    • A
    • A

River

cjy Win Two Pairs, Aces and 7s 4970.00   4970.00
    Exit hand:
    Player
    cjy Small blind   40.00 40.00 6570.00
    SnooZZa Big blind   80.00 120.00 5627.50
      Your hole cards
    • Q

Karl100 Fold        
    LitlGenral Fold        
    RogueCell Fold        
    peter27 All-in   480.00 600.00 0.00
    cjy Call   440.00 1040.00 6130.00
    SnooZZa Fold        
    cjy Show
    • A

peter27 Show
    • Q

Flop

• J

Turn

River

cjy Win Ace high 1040.00   7170.00
    Current Balance: £129.10
    Loss: £ - 74.90
  • edited July 2016
    I don't understand the 88 hand?
  • edited July 2016
    I don't understand the 88 hand?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Well that makes two of us then ..

With the blinds 25/50, I think the raise was okay, perhaps should have been bigger mind. However, I should have folded once the re-raise came in. Not sure why I called; stubborness?

Do you agree with my assessment?