You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Diary of a fledgling player

Comments

• edited February 2014
    I am 33 but had my first child 6 months ago (well my wife did) and I feel 50 late nights early morns etc.
  • edited February 2014
    Peter, feel compelled to drop in and say....

It's your money, it's your poker. Just play whatever you enjoy the most. 

Good luck and run well.
  • edited February 2014
     yeah sorry did mean Stuart, but fine now I know you are just a whippersnapper, just out of short trousers :)

no can't remember off hand how much he won or what levels, if u go to u-tube I'm sure u will find it, maybe under most poker tables played, or something.
    it's worth watching anyway.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player:
    Peter, feel compelled to drop in and say.... It's your money, it's your poker. Just play whatever you enjoy the most.  Good luck and run well.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Fair point,
                    but when a player has had a br of £200 and it's now at £50, he's doing something wrong, hence the comments to try and help.
    of course he should play whatever he wants, and as many/few tables as he wants, that's his choice.
    any advice given is for his benefit, how he uses it is up to him.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Fair point,                 but when a player has had a br of £200 and it's now at £50, he's doing something wrong, hence the comments to try and help. of course he should play whatever he wants, and as many/few tables as he wants, that's his choice. any advice given is for his benefit, how he uses it is up to him.
    Posted by devonfish5
    Playing a load of sats for UKOPS isn't necessarily a mistake. Poor BRM? Yes, probably. But if he wants to take a shot to try and play in a big MTT then fair play to him.

Peter, just enjoy the game. We all want to make profit, but if we are enjoying ourselves, profit is more likely to follow. If you wanna play 10 sats to the Tuesday night turbo then fill your boots!
  • edited February 2014
    Peter, feel compelled to drop in and say.... It's your money, it's your poker. Just play whatever you enjoy the most.  Good luck and run well.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I enjoy making money and am determined to develop my skills. That means I need to teach myself strict BRM and stick to my most profitable games :-)

no can't remember off hand how much he won or what levels, if u go to u-tube I'm sure u will find it, maybe under most poker tables played, or something. it's worth watching anyway.
    Posted by devonfish5
    I must search for this when I get time! :D

In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Playing a load of sats for UKOPS isn't necessarily a mistake. Poor BRM? Yes, probably. But if he wants to take a shot to try and play in a big MTT then fair play to him. Peter, just enjoy the game. We all want to make profit, but if we are enjoying ourselves, profit is more likely to follow. If you wanna play 10 sats to the Tuesday night turbo then fill your boots!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Haha, thanks for the support!!

I am happy with the rules I have put in place for myself though, I still enjoy STT's even if I do prefer MTT's :-)
  • edited February 2014
    Day 101 (Saturday)

Only got the chance to play one STT today!

Played 1 x £2 Double Your Money (result: 3rd)

Mini "100 x £2 DYM" Challenge

Played: 7
    Cashes: 6
    Fails: 1

Balance is now £52.69, will update the first post now :-)
  • edited February 2014
    Worked a total of 28 hours over Monday and Tuesday, my new job is very demanding time wise! Anyhow, that's why I haven't been playing.

Planning on hitting the tables fairly hard again from today though, watch this space!!
  • edited February 2014
    Worked a total of 28 hours over Monday and Tuesday, my new job is very demanding time wise! Anyhow, that's why I haven't been playing. Planning on hitting the tables fairly hard again from today though, watch this space!!
    Posted by peter27
    Well so much for this! Ended up being very busy, work is just so hectic!! Not that I'm complaining, I do like my job :-)

I did play two games the other day though:

Day 102

Played 2 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 4th, 6th)

Played: 9
    Fails: 3

Balance now £48.19 ... yeah, I wasn't really concentrating, I was just playing to get games on the board - bad idea! I have learned to not do that again though. I should get some time to play later today :-)
  • edited February 2014
    Still insanely busy with work! I do like my job but it is starting to annoy me as I do miss poker.

Anyway the main reason for this message was to wish good luck to everyone at the UKPC - really hope someone from the Sky Poker community wins it! :-)
  • edited February 2014
    Funnily enough I was in Nottingham on Saturday while the UKPC was going on, but I was with the girlfriend and she has little interest in poker!

Anyway, I did manage to play today, for the first time in a while, and had a HORRIBLE day!!

Day 103

Played 4 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 5th, 6th, 5th, 5th)

Played: 13
    Fails: 7

Balance now £39.19 ... eek! Then again, 87 games to go, I am sure I can turn it around! ;-)
  • edited March 2014
    Day 104

I actually got a chance to play yesterday!! Going to try get as many points as possible this month to make an assault on the "bronze leaderboard" :-)

Played 6 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 6th, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 1st)

Played: 19
    Cashes: 9
    Fails: 10

Need to get my cash rate up desperately! I have been reading the first Harrington on Holdem book and curiously, when I play with the strategies suggested in the book - I seem to lose, but when I play with my own strategies - I seem to do well ... not really sure where that leaves me to be honest :/

I guess this is a big part of development though!

Balance now £37.69, will update the first post now.
  • edited March 2014
    Well there's 2 things to consider about the Harrington thing....

1) The sample size for the comparison is probably too small. You could start limp/calling loads and happen to win 4 out if 5 games, that doesnt make it a good strategy

2) As far as I know, Harrington has never written a book on DYMs. Its no good following MTT or cash strategy to try to beat DYMs, its just a completely different game
  • edited March 2014
    Books are good, advice is good, but u still have too find your own way and as you say your way was working more.

as lambert says above.  DYMs are a diffrent approach too mtt or cash and HU, 

there is a blog on sky somewhere by someone on DYM's and it is a great read but not sure if i could find it again. 

if anyone knows could u post on here for peter too see. 

if i find it ill put the link on  for u.

• edited March 2014
    Day 104 I actually got a chance to play yesterday!! Going to try get as many points as possible this month to make an assault on the "bronze leaderboard" :-) Played 6 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 6th, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 1st) Mini "100 x £2 DYM" Challenge Played : 19 Cashes : 9 Fails : 10 Need to get my cash rate up desperately! I have been reading the first Harrington on Holdem book and curiously, when I play with the strategies suggested in the book - I seem to lose, but when I play with my own strategies - I seem to do well ... not really sure where that leaves me to be honest :/ I guess this is a big part of development though! Balance now £37.69, will update the first post now.
    Posted by peter27
    very good points by lambie

Harrington is great. But you shouldn't be using his ideas as gospel but as ideas. The hands you lost why?
    likewise with the hands you win.
    You should regard it as a framework to test ideas and see how they play.
    Harrington is quite dated but the concepts are sound so you just need to see how to adapt them to your game and situations.
  • edited March 2014
    I shall reply to these comments tomorrow, this is just a quick update as I have to get up at 3AM for work :/

Day 105

Played 5 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 1st, 1st, 4th, 2nd, unlucky 4th!)

Played: 24
    Cashes: 12
    Fails: 12

Balance now £38.44 - getting better!
  • edited March 2014
    I know I still didn't get round to responding to those comments, but I promise to try my best to tomorrow! :-)

Day 106
    (Monday)

Played 2 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 2nd, 1st)

Day 107 (Tuesday)

Played 1 x £2 Double Your Money (result: 4th)

Played: 27
    Cashes: 14
    Fails: 13

Balance now £39.69.
  • edited March 2014
    Well there's 2 things to consider about the Harrington thing.... 1) The sample size for the comparison is probably too small. You could start limp/calling loads and happen to win 4 out if 5 games, that doesnt make it a good strategy 2) As far as I know, Harrington has never written a book on DYMs. Its no good following MTT or cash strategy to try to beat DYMs, its just a completely different game
    Posted by Lambert180
    Something I would add to that is that most of the hands in Harrington are full ring games and not six-max. Although to be honest I did think the strategy in DYM's and MTT's were similar, maybe I'm wrong?

Books are good, advice is good, but u still have too find your own way and as you say your way was working more. as lambert says above.  DYMs are a diffrent approach too mtt or cash and HU,  there is a blog on sky somewhere by someone on DYM's and it is a great read but not sure if i could find it again.  if anyone knows could u post on here for peter too see.  if i find it ill put the link on  for u.
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Thanks very much for the link, I will read it when I have some more time - probably within the next week! Appreciate it :-)

In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : very good points by lambie Harrington is great. But you shouldn't be using his ideas as gospel but as ideas. The hands you lost why? likewise with the hands you win. You should regard it as a framework to test ideas and see how they play. Harrington is quite dated but the concepts are sound so you just need to see how to adapt them to your game and situations.
    Posted by GELDY
    That is what I'm trying, and the first stage of this was realising that following Harrington to the word does not work - although I did expect it to improve my results, not make them worse!
  • edited March 2014
    Day 108

Played 3 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 1st, 2nd, 3rd)
    Played 1 x Top of the Posts (result: 4th)

Played: 30
    Cashes: 17
    Fails: 13

The 4th place in the top of the posts tournament netted me £20 - very helpful for my bankroll! Balance is now £66.16 :-)
  • edited March 2014

DYM's aren't too dissimilar to sats ie survival being the aim of the game. But in a standard MTT, the strategy differs a fair bit.

• edited March 2014
    DYM's aren't too dissimilar to sats ie survival being the aim of the game. But in a standard MTT, the strategy differs a fair bit.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Hmmm, you know I've never made that link between DYM's and Satellites before - they are my two best forms of poker as well, so perhaps that's telling me something!
  • edited March 2014
    Still not getting all that much time to play due to work and other commitments, but I'm trying to keep my hand in!

Day 109 (Thursday)

Played 1 x £2 Double Your Money (result: 5th)

Day 110 (Today, Friday)

Played 1 x £2 Double Your Money (result: 1st)

Played: 32
    Cashes: 18
    Fails: 14

Balance is now £65.66.
  • edited March 2014
    Day 111

Just played two very quick games:

Played 2 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 6th, 3rd)

Played: 34
    Cashes: 19
    Fails: 15

Balance is now £65.16.
  • edited March 2014
    Been quite a while since my last post, again because of work.

I have seen this new skill & go promotion, and I will be aiming to finish on the leaderboard as a minimum! This means I will be picking up my rate of play with a few games today, and a good few hours of play tomorrow (I have a surprise day off work!).

Since my last update, I have gained £10 through a RT competition on the Sky Poker twitter feed which is nice!

For those of you who have seen my F1 betting thread, any profits/losses there do not effect the total here, I am subtracting/adding as necessary to make sure the figures quoted here are purely poker-based :-)
  • edited March 2014
    I did finally get the chance to play!!

Day 112 (Wednesday)

Played 2 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 4th, 3rd)

Day 113 (Thursday)

Played 4 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 3rd, 4th, 6th, 5th)

Day 114 (Friday)

Played 6 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 4th, 2nd, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 2nd)

Played: 46
    Cashes: 24
    Fails: 22

Balance is now £76.04. Will update the first post now. Not on the best run at the moment .. it's ruining my ROI for the skill & go promotion, currently stands at -25.93% :/ Then again, that can change dramatically with few wins, so I'm not too worried just yet!
  • edited March 2014
    Day 115

Played 12 x £2 Double Your Money, results below:

1st x 3
    2nd x 4
    3rd x 2
    4th x 0
    5th x 3
    6th x 0

Played: 58
    Cashes: 33
    Fails: 25

Balance is now £85.04 after an awesome day at the tables! My ROI has gone from -25.93% to 3.7% after 24 games played. One more day like this and I am right back in contention!

Will update the first post now.
  • edited March 2014
    Day 116

Played 21 x £2 Double Your Money, results below:

1st x 4
    2nd x 3
    3rd x 5
    4th x 3
    5th x 4
    6th x 2

Played: 79
    Cashes: 45
    Fails: 34

A lot of poker played today with a small profit. Now on £85.79. Started the day on 3.7% ROI, ended on 2.72% - was actually at 13.13% at one point. Looks like I am out of contention for the skill and go promotion. There are many days left, but I have already played 45 games towards the promotion and it is becoming really hard to improve my ROI as a result (a win at this level is less than a 2% increase now).
    Will update the first post now.
  • edited March 2014
    I did win an £11 seat into my favourite tournament of the week though, the Tuesday Turbo Open! Haven't played in a while so excited for that :-)

Thanks to Sky Poker TV.
  • edited March 2014
    Hi Peter

You don't really have a chance in the promo playing 2.25 DYMs to be honest.

You are going well keep it up. Once you hit the £100 I would start adding £3.30 DYMs in as the rake is less in these e.g. play one table of each. Then eventually drop the 2.25s.