You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Diary of a fledgling player

Comments

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player:
    I have to agree with Stuarty on this BRM thing. It doesn't make sense to do a thread where you are concentrating on BRM then exclude a £2-60 Sat. Have an odd punt at a Sat by all means but include the cost.  Personally with your BR I would stick to the £1 deepie till you build it up a bit more.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    Plus entering the mini
  • edited October 2013
    I have to agree with Stuarty on this BRM thing. It doesn't make sense to do a thread where you are concentrating on BRM then exclude a £2-60 Sat. Have an odd punt at a Sat by all means but include the cost.  Personally with your BR I would stick to the £1 deepie till you build it up a bit more.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Plus entering the mini
    Posted by stuarty117
    Fine, begrudgingly from now on I will. See this is why I needed to make this diary, for you guys to shout at me when I'm not following BRM :p
  • edited October 2013
    Day 13

Another good day today and continued my epic run on the £1 Six-Max (Speed) tables!

Played 5 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 1st)
    Played 2 x £1 DYM's (results: 4th, 1st)
    Played 2 x £1 Heads-Up (Hyper) (results: 2nd, 1st)*
    Played 1 x £1 Heads-Up (Speed) (result: 1st)

* Only play the HU Hyper games when I'm in the lobby, eager to play, and there are no other games ready to go!

Also played two MTT's: The £2.20 Deepstack tournament and the £250 Bounty Hunter (cost £2.30 to enter) - sadly I didn't cash in either.

Finished the day on £36.85, a profit from yesterday! First post to be updated now.

Have to admit, I had a great period today where I was running like god! Examples:

<-- This is my first EVER straight flush! :-)
  • edited October 2013
    Have qualified for today's main event via a 60p All-In Satellite ... and that was while I was playing a £2.40 Satellite for the main event also haha - didn't qualify a second time sadly!
  • edited October 2013
    Have qualified for today's main event via a 60p All-In Satellite ... and that was while I was playing a £2.40 Satellite for the main event also haha - didn't qualify a second time sadly!
    Posted by peter27

Good luck Peter
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Good luck Peter
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks Vespa!

We're currently at the 1st tournament break and I'm 87th out of 239. Been a bit up and down so far, but I am slowly building so not going badly :-)
  • edited October 2013
    Got knocked out just after the first tournament break after going all-in with AK!

Jeez, I really hate that hand, must have gone all-in with it now about 50 times, and I've never won with it -.-
  • edited October 2013
    Got knocked out just after the first tournament break after going all-in with AK! Jeez, I really hate that hand, must have gone all-in with it now about 50 times, and I've never won with it -.-
    Posted by peter27
    AK is a hand of beauty in a turbo tournament.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : AK is a hand of beauty in a turbo tournament.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Not for me - apparently :-(
  • edited October 2013
    You're a Newcastle fan Peter? I shall be frequenting SJP for the first time next Wednesday. Also going to the home of that 'other' north east club in November, but you probably don't care about that ;)
  • edited October 2013
    You're a Newcastle fan Peter? I shall be frequenting SJP for the first time next Wednesday. Also going to the home of that 'other' north east club in November, but you probably don't care about that ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Yep, massive Newcastle fan! Ahh, you're going for the cup game against City? Take it you're a Man City fan then! I actually do like to see Man City do well, I like what the "new" owners have done with the club :-) For what it's worth I think you'll finish 3rd this year - behind Chelsea and Tottenham (in that order) - but I would like to see you win the league again!

The other north east team, you mean scumderland? :D
  • edited October 2013
    Day 14

A decent day today, here's what I played:

Played 1 x 50p Six-Max (Speed) (result: 4th)
    Played 2 x £1 Heads-Up (results: 1st, 1st)
    Played 7 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 1st, 3rd, 6th, 2nd, 1st, 6th, 2nd)*
    Played 1 x £4K Open Super Sat (result: didn't qualify)
    Played 1 x £4K Open All-In (result: 2nd -> qualified!)

Sadly I was not able to cash in the Turbo, went out with the hand I often go out with in MTT's ... AK. It is worth noting that I am now including the satellites I play as part of the diary, at the request of the people reading.

* Didn't have the best day on this type of STT today by my standards, but my record so far (on this type of table since I started the diary) is:

1st - 7 times
    2nd - 5 times
    -----------------
    3rd - 1 times
    4th - 1 times
    5th - 0 times
    6th - 2 times

Or in other words, cashed 12 out of 16 times. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this record is amazing for standard STT's??

Anyway, finished today on £39.50. Time to break the £40 barrier tomorrow! Will update the first post now.
  • edited October 2013
    Day 15

Another good day at the tables today for me - although didn't play too much, will be the same for the next few days actually.

Played 7 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) tournaments (results: 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 3rd, 3rd).
    Played 2 x £4K Open All-In satellites -> didn't qualify in either, only 60p entry though.

Balance is now £42.60, next challenge is to beat the £50 barrier! First post will be updated now.
  • edited October 2013
    Day 16

Again, didn't play too much today - will be the same for the next few days to be honest.

Played 6 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) tournaments (results: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 2nd*).

A lot of 2nd places and no wins today ... I had three bad beats when heads-up, it happens though - still in profit!

* Actually, I could have won this last game, disconnected as the chip leader with three people left (including myself) - I had double the stack of the player in second place too, so it was a comfortable lead. I also had good reads on my opponent!

Anyhow ended the day on £46.50, will update the first post now :-)
  • edited October 2013
    Just wanted to show you guys this hand from yesterday - the most bizarre hand of poker I've ever seen :p
  • edited October 2013
    lol very nice going, doing really well peter, very well played.
  • edited October 2013
    If you can play at 7:00, I ended up getting about a fiver from the 7 o'clock free roll a few nights ago.

Also the 7:00 freeroll for the 9 o clock free roll worth a shot 2!

Normally i'm one of the first few out of these, but managed to gain a seat into the BH a couple of weeks ago, didn't cash in the BH, but take that down and you are quids in! Even a few bounties and a Min cash would double your bank roll.

Good luck
  • edited October 2013
    If you can play at 7:00, I ended up getting about a fiver from the 7 o'clock free roll a few nights ago. Also the 7:00 freeroll for the 9 o clock free roll worth a shot 2! Normally i'm one of the first few out of these, but managed to gain a seat into the BH a couple of weeks ago, didn't cash in the BH, but take that down and you are quids in! Even a few bounties and a Min cash would double your bank roll. Good luck
    Posted by LARSON7
    Thanks Larson!

I do try play all the freerolls I can, the only issue is finding the time - but yeah, they're awesome for building a bankroll :-)
  • edited October 2013
    Day 17

A decent amount of play today!

Played 5 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 2nd, 5th, 4th, 1st, 2nd)
    Played 4 x £1 Russian Roulette (result: 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd) - was on tilt with these, didn't work haha!
    Played 1 x 10K BH All-In Sattelite (result: didn't qualify!)

Also entered The Social FR and the UKOPS FR - even though I didn't really have time to play. Just jammed in both early on for no reason and inevitably lost >.<

Also, in the list I missed out one £1 Six-Max (Speed) game. I entered it and got a phone call after two hands which meant I had to leave the computer, at that point there were still six people left. So when I came back to the computer, I had assumed that I lost my £1. As it turns out, I finished 2nd! Poker is a crazy game sometimes ...

Finished today on £48.60, once again in profit :-)

Will update the first post now!
  • edited October 2013
    Amazing last cash in the 6max there.  I suppose 3rd place may have been "going for the win" trying to eliminate the other player knowing they would have an easy HU battle for a x4 cash instead of a x2 win.

You do see some infuriating bubble play sometimes, especially in the dyms so must be nice to be on the beneficial end of players missing an easy opportunity.
  • edited October 2013
    Amazing last cash in the 6max there.  I suppose 3rd place may have been "going for the win" trying to eliminate the other player knowing they would have an easy HU battle for a x4 cash instead of a x2 win. You do see some infuriating bubble play sometimes, especially in the dyms so must be nice to be on the beneficial end of players missing an easy opportunity.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Yeah, actually at first I couldn't figure out where this extra £1 in my account had come from!! Lovely surprise :-)
  • edited October 2013
    Day 18

Had a losing day today, but seeing as it's only the third losing day since I started this diary, I'm not too concerned! Was playing badly at one point due to a lack of concentration, that's the reason really.

Played the £10k BH All-In Sat - didn't qualify!
    Played 4 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 6th, 1st, 2nd, 4th)
    Played 3 x £1 Russian Roulette (results: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd) - tilting, didn't work!
    Played 2 x £2 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 2nd, 4th)
    Played 1 x £3 DYM (result: 3rd)

Finished the day on £46.50, will update the first post now. Got a feeling I'm going to have a really good day tomorrow, will try my best!! :-)
  • edited October 2013
    Some worrying points in your last post Peter.

1. Playing Russian roulette?

Can't see how that fits into developing your game - or making a profit.

2. Jumping up to £2 and £3 events?

Not saying you can't beat those levels - however it flies in the face of earlier discussions on BRM

3. Playing without concentrating

We all do it - we all know we shouldn't - Need to focus on the game to extract the most value.

I am sure you already know all of the above so think of this as a friendly reinforcement of what your inner poker conscience should be telling you.

gl today.

• edited October 2013
    Very interesting to read im subbing this but also look to create my own... inspiring ;)
  • edited October 2013
    Some worrying points in your last post Peter. 1. Playing Russian roulette? Can't see how that fits into developing your game - or making a profit. 2. Jumping up to £2 and £3 events? Not saying you can't beat those levels - however it flies in the face of earlier discussions on BRM 3. Playing without concentrating We all do it - we all know we shouldn't - Need to focus on the game to extract the most value. I am sure you already know all of the above so think of this as a friendly reinforcement of what your inner poker conscience should be telling you. gl today.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Russian Roulette - tilting.
    £3 events - tilting. £2 events - I am at £50 (ish) now so think that an odd £2 game here and there is okay?
    Concentration - should have taken some time away from the PC, I know this for next time now :-)

Very interesting to read im subbing this but also look to create my own... inspiring ;)
    Posted by EasyHoney
    Wow, that's a lovely comment! Thank you very much!! :-)
  • edited October 2013
    Day 19

With Formula One and Football on, I didn't get much time to play today!

Played 2 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) tournaments (results: 1st & 3rd)

... and that's it!

This does mean a profit today however, balance is now £48.20, will update the first post now.

I'm moving house tomorrow, and won't have Internet for a few days (apart from visits to the library/internet cafes) so I probably won't be able to play any poker, but I will be visiting the forums. Will keep you guys updated :-)
  • edited October 2013
    Just an update that I should be back online on Friday, so this diary will resume then! :-)

Sad that I'm missing UKOPS events, but probably didn't have the bankroll to enter anyway! Although the 7PM Free Cash FR has been turned into a UKOPS FR I believe ... will be something I enter when I start playing again in a few days :-)
  • edited October 2013
    I'm back online!!

Let's break the £50 barrier today and qualify for some UKOPS events through very low-steak buy-ins!! :-)
  • edited November 2013
    Day 20

Played a lot of different games today due to UKOPS!

Played 1 x £2.30 Speed B/Hunter - finished 6th out of 6 >.< Once again, AK let me down :-(
    Played 2 x £10k UKOPS BH Sat - qualified for the semi at the second time of asking!
    Played 1 x £10K UKOPS BH Semi - finished 5th/127 players - qualified for the event!!
    Played 1 x £10,000 UKOPS B/H - out just before first break, went all-in with KK against 22, they won with quad 2's, very annoying :-( Didn't take any heads either sadly ..
    Played 1 x £3K UKOPS All-In - didn't qualify.
    Played 1 x £1 Six-Max Speed - finished 6th: All in with AQ, called by 10,9 - flop was 333, turn was 10 ...
    Played 1 x £1 Six-Max - 2nd
    Played 1 x £1 Double Your Money - 2nd

Really expected to take at least one head in the BH which would have really improved my bankroll! Sadly, it wasn't to be. Now down to £40.15 - quite a big hit today :-(

Will be playing a lot tomorrow, want to get to £50 before the evening in order to enter some more UKOPS sats. I have been going up to £2.50 for a UKOPS sat, usually I wouldn't do that with this bankroll but UKOPS is a special occasion so I feel like it's okay. That's only when I have close to £50 too, I'm not going to enter any UKOPS sats if I'm closer to £40. Will update the first post now.

EDIT: Actually, the figure had not updated in my account, I was on £42.25 - NOT £40.15.
  • edited November 2013
    Doing very well peter congrats 

Im struggling I dunno if im just on a bad run or im terrible lol started making notes though ... had one plus day so far ... im down 30% br so far and your up 400% since start ... any tips you want to share ? Ha ha