You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Diary of a fledgling player

Comments

• edited November 2013
    i think if you bet the flop you have a better idea of what your up against

1. He can fold
    2. he can call which i think is definite he has a k because he has been so aggressive (all in x 3 in 6hands)
    3. if he raises then its more likely a bluff but you have nothing anyway so fold

he cant call you too lightly because of your stacks versus blinds

either way you get some info,

so you can check all the way and fold to any bets or check as you did hit 2 pair, un-sure where you are at and call a all in you was thinking you shouldn't anyway
  • edited November 2013
    Peter, with that hand, you need to piece together the story. He's basically minclicked it back out of position. Will he do this with garbage, or is it more likely to be a premium holding? I'm not at the table so have no idea of dynamic but generally speaking a min 3bet is a strong hand. 

Using this assumption, what hand does he minclick pre, to then check, check over jam on a AKKQ9 (I think) board? Has he suddenly tried to pinch it with random air? Or turned JJ into a bluff? Big risk for a large %age of his stack and would be a pretty silly spot to bluff in such a modest, passive pot. Would you not think he has more likely flopped massive and is desperate to conceal the strength of their hand? And check it down to let you try and hit a piece.

Putting all that together, his range (IMO) leans much more towards a flopped FH with AA/AK, or a turned FH with QQ. Could even argue quads are a possibility. With that action, to call that river jam is pretty spewy and will almost always be a losing call without very specific reads/history saying villain is capable of bluffing in this spot. Just not a great spot to call off our tournament I think.
  • edited November 2013
    Day 25

Made a loss today, but I'm not too concerned as I feel like I am playing well :-)

Played 10 x £5K Open All-In Satellites - didn't qualify, annoyingly! I am proud of limiting myself to 10 though. I did want to play more!
    Played 4 x Six-Max (Speed) (results: 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 3rd)
    Played 2 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 4th, 2nd)
    Played 1 x £2K BH Satellite - didn't qualify. I used to be awesome at satellites, not sure what happened! Haha
    Played 1 x £250 Bounty Hunter - finished 10th taking £4.75 + 75p in head prizes.

Now I'm down to £72.44, but I have set myself the ambitious target of reaching £80 tomorrow! Will update the first post now and will reply to those who commented on my play in the next hour or so.
  • edited November 2013
    EDIT: I will reply tomorrow, my internet is being painfully slow, and I'm stupidly tired! :p
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player:
    i think if you bet the flop you have a better idea of what your up against 1. He can fold 2. he can call which i think is definite he has a k because he has been so aggressive (all in x 3 in 6hands) 3. if he raises then its more likely a bluff but you have nothing anyway so fold he cant call you too lightly because of your stacks versus blinds either way you get some info, so you can check all the way and fold to any bets or check as you did hit 2 pair, un-sure where you are at and call a all in you was thinking you shouldn't anyway
    Posted by EasyHoney
    But I was fairly sure he had a king to be honest, based on his reaction time of the check. It was a read of sorts, so I didn't really need the bet for information. I do understand that a continuation bet would be the normal line following my pre-flop aggression though.

Peter, with that hand, you need to piece together the story. He's basically minclicked it back out of position. Will he do this with garbage, or is it more likely to be a premium holding? I'm not at the table so have no idea of dynamic but generally speaking a min 3bet is a strong hand.  Using this assumption, what hand does he minclick pre, to then check, check over jam on a AKKQ9 (I think) board? Has he suddenly tried to pinch it with random air? Or turned JJ into a bluff? Big risk for a large %age of his stack and would be a pretty silly spot to bluff in such a modest, passive pot. Would you not think he has more likely flopped massive and is desperate to conceal the strength of their hand? And check it down to let you try and hit a piece. Putting all that together, his range (IMO) leans much more towards a flopped FH with AA/AK, or a turned FH with QQ. Could even argue quads are a possibility. With that action, to call that river jam is pretty spewy and will almost always be a losing call without very specific reads/history saying villain is capable of bluffing in this spot. Just not a great spot to call off our tournament I think.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    The dynamic at the table was that he was being very, very aggressive so I thought it was possible he was bluffing. I did suspect he had the king but thought it was worth the shot at the end anyway :-) This is not how I would normally play a hand like this.
  • edited November 2013
    hi peter. You seemed to be doing well however........

Having just scoped you your record for the period of this diary shows a £2 loss. Now I know on a few occasions you have stated you have deposited in order to play some MTT's. I know a few have touched on this before as well but the aim of this diary was for you to keep to a better bankroll management plan and it looks to me like you aren't doing this.

Think it was dohhhh on another thread discussed using sng's/hu's etc to fund your mtt's and to get you through periods of negative variance in mtts - I think this would be a better approach for you to give a truer reflection of how you are performing but you'd have to include all results. You seem to be doing well enough at the sng's to make this sort of plan possible.

I really debated whether to post this or not because it may come across a little negative. I hope you will trust that it was made in good faith and not just to be a party poo per. It's your diary, your money and your poker experience so you can do what you like obviously but I thought I just would give my opinion.

GL JD
  • edited November 2013
    hi peter. You seemed to be doing well however........ Having just scoped you your record for the period of this diary shows a £2 loss. Now I know on a few occasions you have stated you have deposited in order to play some MTT's. I know a few have touched on this before as well but the aim of this diary was for you to keep to a better bankroll management plan and it looks to me like you aren't doing this. Think it was dohhhh on another thread discussed using sng's/hu's etc to fund your mtt's and to get you through periods of negative variance in mtts - I think this would be a better approach for you to give a truer reflection of how you are performing but you'd have to include all results. You seem to be doing well enough at the sng's to make this sort of plan possible. I really debated whether to post this or not because it may come across a little negative. I hope you will trust that it was made in good faith and not just to be a party poo per. It's your diary, your money and your poker experience so you can do what you like obviously but I thought I just would give my opinion. GL JD
    Posted by jdsallstar
    No, I encourage posts like this! It helps keep me focussed :-)

The reason for the poor sharkscope stats is depositing specifically for events. However since people told me not to do that, I haven't been - and am including everything in this diary. Today I did come to a conclusion though, will put it in the next post :-)
  • edited November 2013
    Day 26

Terrible day today, but the reason for that was getting some pretty bad news during a few tournaments ... not something I wish to go into on Sky Poker to be honest, as it is not really appropriate.

Played 1 x £150 Bounty Hunter (result: 26th, didn't cash. One head prize was £1.13 though)
    Played 1 x £50 Gtd (15 mins) (result: took away 93p)
    Played 1 x £2 Six-Max (Speed) (result: 4th)
    Played 1 x £100 Gtd (30 mins) (result: out early ..)
    Played 1 x £2 Heads-Up (Turbo) (result: 1st)
    Played 1 x UKPC Freeroll (result: knocked out early ..)

Also played a best of three heads up game (50p) against LARSON9, as he requested it a few days ago. He won all three games :|

I seem to be losing a considerable amount on MTT's at the moment so I have decided that I am going to stay away from them until i have reached £100. That means I will now ONLY be playing STT's.

Balance took a hammering today, down to £62.62. May not be playing tomorrow, having a bit of a crisis in my personal life, let's see what happens. Will update the first post now.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : No, I encourage posts like this! It helps keep me focussed :-) The reason for the poor sharkscope stats is depositing specifically for events. However since people told me not to do that, I haven't been - and am including everything in this diary. Today I did come to a conclusion though, will put it in the next post :-)
    Posted by peter27
    You always leave us on tenterhooks Peter :)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : You always leave us on tenterhooks Peter :)
    Posted by Jac35
    Nothing wrong with a bit of suspense ;-)
  • edited November 2013
    Sorry to hear you've had done bad news. You posted that as I was posting mine.
    Have a little break mate to deal with what you need to. Pokers not going anywhere.
    Larson9 is very good by the way. It's Larson7 you want to play against. He's rubbish
  • edited November 2013
    Day 26 Terrible day today, but the reason for that was getting some pretty bad news during a few tournaments ... not something I wish to go into on Sky Poker to be honest, as it is not really appropriate. Played 1 x £150 Bounty Hunter (result: 26th, didn't cash. One head prize was £1.13 though) Played 1 x £50 Gtd (15 mins) (result: took away 93p) Played 1 x £2 Six-Max (Speed) (result: 4th) Played 1 x £100 Gtd (30 mins) (result: out early ..) Played 1 x £2 Heads-Up (Turbo) (result: 1st) Played 1 x UKPC Freeroll (result: knocked out early ..) Also played a best of three heads up game (50p) against LARSON9, as he requested it a few days ago. He won all three games :| I seem to be losing a considerable amount on MTT's at the moment so I have decided that I am going to stay away from them until i have reached £100. That means I will now ONLY be playing STT's. Balance took a hammering today, down to £62.62. May not be playing tomorrow, having a bit of a crisis in my personal life, let's see what happens. Will update the first post now.
    Posted by peter27
    Welcome to my world! 

Just let poker take a back seat whilst you deal with whatever is going on. It will still be here when all is resolved. 

Hope all works out for the best.
  • edited November 2013
    lol my new screen name is out, man no 1 can keep secrets on here, i tell ya

Totally agree with HH and Jac, poker will always be there, and all the best whatever it is.

You have done really well at the poker starting from £10 and building it up.
  • edited November 2013
    Day 26 Terrible day today, but the reason for that was getting some pretty bad news during a few tournaments ... not something I wish to go into on Sky Poker to be honest, as it is not really appropriate. Played 1 x £150 Bounty Hunter (result: 26th, didn't cash. One head prize was £1.13 though) Played 1 x £50 Gtd (15 mins) (result: took away 93p) Played 1 x £2 Six-Max (Speed) (result: 4th) Played 1 x £100 Gtd (30 mins) (result: out early ..) Played 1 x £2 Heads-Up (Turbo) (result: 1st) Played 1 x UKPC Freeroll (result: knocked out early ..) Also played a best of three heads up game (50p) against LARSON9, as he requested it a few days ago. He won all three games :| I seem to be losing a considerable amount on MTT's at the moment so I have decided that I am going to stay away from them until i have reached £100. That means I will now ONLY be playing STT's. Balance took a hammering today, down to £62.62. May not be playing tomorrow, having a bit of a crisis in my personal life, let's see what happens. Will update the first post now.
    Posted by peter27

*Ahem* RTR?
  • edited November 2013
    Haha, apologies, of course I meant LARSON7!

Thanks for the kind words all - but much to my surprise, things took a turn for the better both in my personal life and my poker life! Yep, I just couldn't stay away:

Day 27 (was always going to be decent, it's my lucky number!)

Played 1 x £2 Six-Max (result: 4th)
    Played 1 x £2 Six-Max (Speed) (result: 2nd)

Also, really wanted some late night action, but the only game that was ready to go was:

Played 1 x £5 Double Your Money (result: 3rd) ... it's out of my bankroll range, but I wanted some action. At least I cashed :-)

Also recieved £7.90 from Sky Poker Rewards (although only £4.40 was for the period of this diary, so I will withdraw the extra £3.50). Takes my balance to: £71.32! Will update the first post now :-)
  • edited November 2013
    Day 28

Had a terrible day at the tables ..

Played 5 x £2 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 5th, 6th, 4th, 3rd, 6th)
    Played The Social FR -> knocked out early.

Not up to my usual standards, I guess it just wasn't my day. Actually, I do want to play more tonight but I am quite angry and would just be tilting.

Down to £60.32, will update the first post now.
  • edited November 2013
    Day 28 Had a terrible day at the tables .. Played 5 x £2 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 5th, 6th, 4th, 3rd, 6th) Played The Social FR - /> knocked out early. Not up to my usual standards, I guess it just wasn't my day. Actually, I do want to play more tonight but I am quite angry and would just be tilting. Down to £60.32, will update the first post now.
    Posted by peter27
    some losses are to be expected peter, but look at the long term... your up £50 after a month well done

would be nice if we could have a game at some point... see if your super aggressive loose play can beat my AQs or higher strat lol
  • edited November 2013
    Day 28 Had a terrible day at the tables .. Played 5 x £2 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 5th, 6th, 4th, 3rd, 6th) Played The Social FR - /> knocked out early. Not up to my usual standards, I guess it just wasn't my day. Actually, I do want to play more tonight but I am quite angry and would just be tilting. Down to £60.32, will update the first post now.
    Posted by peter27
    Nice going peter

Not a good time to play , when your angry or still reeling over a previous hand or game or series of games for that matter. At least you recognise this . Sometimes i just have an extended break before i start playing again. It could be anything from half an hour to a cpl of days. Depends when i,m back in the right mindset to play again. Sometimes watching some poker vids on youtube will help me get back into it.

GL

Paul
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : some losses are to be expected peter, but look at the long term... your up £50 after a month well done would be nice if we could have a game at some point... see if your super aggressive loose play can beat my AQs or higher strat lol
    Posted by EasyHoney
    Well, it's day 28, let's see where I stand in a few days time. It's just annoying because I was on £80 at one stage :p

"your super aggressive loose play" - I find that interesting! Are they the notes you have on me? Adjusting my style of play quickly is something I am quite good at so I tend to vary my play depending on how others at the table are playing. I would love to play you again sometime though! What steaks do you currently play at? :-)

In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Nice going peter Not a good time to play , when your angry or still reeling over a previous hand or game or series of games for that matter. At least you recognise this . Sometimes i just have an extended break before i start playing again. It could be anything from half an hour to a cpl of days. Depends when i,m back in the right mindset to play again. Sometimes watching some poker vids on youtube will help me get back into it. GL Paul
    Posted by MP33
    I've found that poker videos help me also, will be back playing today :-)
  • edited November 2013
    Posted by peter27
    Also if you are tilting don't start playing 5.50 DYMs trying to get losses back wink wink.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Also if you are tilting don't start playing 5.50 DYMs trying to get losses back wink wink.
    Posted by stuarty117
    Haha, I only did that one day - and that wasn't a tilt either. I just wanted some action and it was the only game ready to go :p
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Haha, I only did that one day - and that wasn't a tilt either. I just wanted some action and it was the only game ready to go :p
    Posted by peter27
    LOL I say this as I think its better to include all games you have played as I said earlier in dairy.

But you are going well keep going. Maybe go back to the 1.10 6 max for a session as you were going so well at them.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : LOL I say this as I think its better to include all games you have played as I said earlier in dairy. But you are going well keep going. Maybe go back to the 1.10 6 max for a session as you were going so well at them.
    Posted by stuarty117
    I am now including all games I'm playing in, have been for a while :-)

Yes, I was thinking the same about the £1 games, might give a few more attempts at £2 though. One win and I'm right back on track!
  • edited November 2013

Not sure whether you do it or not peter. But would seriously suggest that at the end of every session to go back through the hands you have played and see if you like your decisions in all of them. Sometimes we leave chips behind or lose more than we should and these are the spots you need to look for.

Just remember to use good play to compare your sessions and not just the results. Winning does not always mean good play. But overall the more good decisions you make then the better you will run.
  • edited November 2013
    Day 29

The losing run continues! :-(

Played 5 x £2 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 6th, 1st, 4th, 3rd, 6th)
    Played 1 x £250 Gtd Speed Rebuy (result: 31st/113 - top 13 cashed ..)

Played the MTT to try something a little different in order to profit again, it didn't work ..

I will be dropping back down to £1 Six-Max games tomorrow, they were very successful for me in the past - let's hope for that again!

Balance is now £52.72, will update the first post now.
  • edited November 2013
      Not sure whether you do it or not peter. But would seriously suggest that at the end of every session to go back through the hands you have played and see if you like your decisions in all of them. Sometimes we leave chips behind or lose more than we should and these are the spots you need to look for.  Just remember to use good play to compare your sessions and not just the results. Winning does not always mean good play. But overall the more good decisions you make then the better you will run.
    Posted by Talon
    Thanks for the suggestion! I have been doing this and it is the thing that has helped most in all honesty. When I am unsure, I post the hand in the poker clinic :-)
  • edited November 2013
    Day 30

Not much to report today, didn't get much time to play!

Played 1 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (result: 4th)

Balance is £51.62, will update the first post now!
  • edited November 2013
    No poker for me today, didn't get time!

Tomorrow I have a job fair to attend, and I'll be spending the evening/night with my girlfriend so I'll be back on Wednesday :-)
  • edited November 2013
    Just an update guys, I had a great time with my girlfriend and I will be back from tomorrow!

I did play a few games in the last few days, will update you tomorrow morning :-)
  • edited November 2013
    Right, as I said, I played a few games in the last few days - but just going to group them under one day.

Day 31

Played 3 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 6th, 2nd, 6th)

Balance is currently £50.42. Will update the first post now.

Planning on playing a lot tonight, it is time to get back to winning ways!