You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Diary of a fledgling player

Comments

• edited November 2013

Hi peter, you are doing really well, just a suggestion why not play the the £1,10 deep stack,you start with 5000 chips . Are you playing the UKOPS freeroll at 7,if so, i wish you the best of luck . you tc, from trully56
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player:
    Doing very well peter congrats  Im struggling I dunno if im just on a bad run or im terrible lol started making notes though ... had one plus day so far ... im down 30% br so far and your up 400% since start ... any tips you want to share ? Ha ha
    Posted by EasyHoney
    The two things that helped me most (trying to think of things from my experience rather than things that anyone could tell you like use BRM, rarely limp etc. etc.)

1) Play Six-Max games rather than DYM's. For some reason I found it MUCH easier to cash in these (even though that seems illogical).

2) Most people say you should be finding a spot to shove when you have 10 BB's or less. I found that only playing this way (shoving or folding) as low as 5 BB's or less worked well for me - at least in DYM's. At this stage, let's say blinds are 50/100 and you have 500 chips. You shove. Say you double up, that's 1000 chips + (possibly) the SB and BB which makes 1150 chips (11.5 BB's) - a playable stack. Obviously if you have AA with 10 BB's then shove, but I don't believe in taking the shoving risk too early in a DYM as others can easily knock themselves out, allowing you to cash.

Hi peter, you are doing really well, just a suggestion why not play the the £1,10 deep stack,you start with 5000 chips . Are you playing the UKOPS freeroll at 7,if so, i wish you the best of luck . you tc, from trully56
    Posted by truly56
    If I was around when it is running then I will definitely play it! Actually, I find deepstack tournaments very slow and boring, but I do always do well in them :p

I may be playing the UKOPS freeroll today, depends if I'm free to play at that time :-)

How you getting on with the DYM's?
  • edited November 2013
    EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    peter27 Small blind   200.00 200.00 2710.00
    whywhywhy7 Big blind   400.00 600.00 3777.50
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

KingJimmy Fold        
    buzz70 Call   400.00 1000.00 7252.50
    peter27 All-in   2710.00 3710.00 0.00
    whywhywhy7 Call   2510.00 6220.00 1267.50
    buzz70 Fold        
    peter27 Show
    • A
    • K

whywhywhy7 Show
    • A

Flop

Turn

River

whywhywhy7 Win Pair of 3s 6220.00   7487.50
    It's getting to the point now where I'm disappointed when I see AK ... that's at least 50 times I have got AK all-in pre-flop, have not won once :-(
  • edited November 2013
    That was my first rage post on these forums! It's just so frustrating - wish there were statistics of how many times in a row each hand has lost going all-in pre-flop. I'm pretty sure I'd be near the top somewhere!!
  • edited November 2013
    Day 21

This post will be a long one, it's been an eventful day!!

First of all, at the end of day 20 - I said I had £40.15. That's not actually true as when I logged in this morning I had £42.25 ... sometimes my account doesn't update straight away when I've cashed in a tournament, I assume this is the case for others too?

Also, I earned £7.90 from Sky Poker Rewards last month, although £3.50 of that was from before I started this diary. What this means is that I will withdraw the £3.50 when it comes in to leave a £4.40 bonus.

Right, my play today:

Played 8 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 1st, 6th, 4th) - not great ...
    Played 1 x £1 Heads-Up (Trubo) (result: 1st)
    Played 1 x £1 Heads-Up (Speed) (result: 2nd)
    Played 2 x £5K UKOPS Direct - did not qualify in both.
    Played 4 x £5K UKOPS All-In - again, did not qualify from any, BUT I did get a second place! Didn't get me a seat into the UKOPS event, but I did take down just over £11! :-)
    Played 1 x £15K UKOPS All-In - did not qualify.
    Played the UKOPS FR - did not qualify.
    Played 1 x £1 Turbo DYM (result: 2nd)
    Played 1 x £250 Bounty Hunter (result: can't remember, but didn't cash!)

If it wasn't for that £11 cash today, I would have a big loss - the desire to play in a UKOPS event is really holding me back for this diary with the cost of satellites. As a result, I have decided that I am going to deposit and play in one UKOPS event and it won't count towards this diary. I was doing this before and people made me understand it was not helping my BRM, however UKOPS is a special event so this is different. Additionally, my BRM is not helping me make a profit recently as I'm spending any winnings on satellites ... this way, I can get back to focussing on building a bankroll in the knowledge I will be playing a UKOPS event.

Which event am I going to play? I haven't decided yet, possibly late reg for the £4K Freezeout tomorrow. Late reg because I have been selected to play in the Top of the posts tournament tomorrow which kicks off at the same time, and I want to fully focus on these tournaments. Actually, the Top of the posts tournament means I will take down £10 minimum, possibly as high as £50 if I win it - here's hoping!

Finished the day on £40.04, will update the first post now.

Just to clarify, tomorrow I will be back to focussing on BRM and grinding up the levels, apart from one UKOPS tournament which will not count towards this diary :-)
  • edited November 2013
    Peter, remember its your money, your poker and your diary. If you wanna deposit to play a UKOPS event then fill your boots, no reason to justify anything to anyone on here or elsewhere.

I say this as I did something similar this year; deposited £30 initially to really try and grind it up through the stakes, but decided the following week that I wanted to play the Turbo Tuesday main so stuck in another £11 to play it (BR was only up to about £40 or so by then). Managed a 3rd for about £400 and not looked back since.

Gl in whatever you decide to play.
  • edited November 2013
    Peter, remember its your money, your poker and your diary. If you wanna deposit to play a UKOPS event then fill your boots, no reason to justify anything to anyone on here or elsewhere. I say this as I did something similar this year; deposited £30 initially to really try and grind it up through the stakes, but decided the following week that I wanted to play the Turbo Tuesday main so stuck in another £11 to play it (BR was only up to about £40 or so by then). Managed a 3rd for about £400 and not looked back since. Gl in whatever you decide to play.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    See Peter, if fish can heater then anyone can ;)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : See Peter, if fish can heater then anyone can ;)
    Posted by Lambert180
    I sigh, because thats a little too close to the truth for my liking :(

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : I sigh, because thats a little too close to the truth for my liking :(
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Aww we know that you know your shizzle Harry... downswings suck and really mash your head up.

Just so I haven't completely wasted space on your diary I'll chuck out some input for ya Peter. I'd strongly urge you get rid of this idea that folding down to 5xBB is standard/fine/good. The are circumstances that'll call for it, when survival is key AND the stacks in play are all very short but generally it's bad.

For instance if it's 200/400, and you have 2.2k (so 5.5xBB) but the other stacks around are like 2.5k, 1.6k and 1.9k, then it's not panic stations yet and you can use your noggin about how best to use your stack.

If however it's more like 50/100 and you've voluntarily folded down to 550 (still 5.5xBB) chips while everyone else has 2.2k, 2.5, 1.8k or w.e then this is reaaaaallllyyy bad. You're just putting yourself in such a bad spot to cash where you're basically relying on the fact you will HAVE to get lucky.

I see so many people do it in Sky MTTs ALLLLL the time and it's just so poor, yeh they may mincash a few more times when a better player may bust, and they may even run very very good the odd time, spin it up and go deep, but they're limiting their chances to go deep regularly so much. DYMs are obviously different, but the most important things in DYMs imo isn't necessarily your stack size, but your stack size in relation to everyone else's.
  • edited November 2013
    Peter, remember its your money, your poker and your diary. If you wanna deposit to play a UKOPS event then fill your boots, no reason to justify anything to anyone on here or elsewhere.
     +1 - I took a diversion from my STT challenge to play a UKOPS mini this week and glad I did - was it great BRM - no- but had the money there and just wanted to part of it, Looking forward to the UK Poker champs sats now.
    I say this as I did something similar this year; deposited £30 initially to really try and grind it up through the stakes, but decided the following week that I wanted to play the Turbo Tuesday main so stuck in another £11 to play it (BR was only up to about £40 or so by then). Managed a 3rd for about £400 and not looked back since. Gl in whatever you decide to play.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Cough! This months nomination for thinly disguised brag post goes to...
  • edited November 2013
    Look Phantom, if I was gonna brag, you really think I'd use a 3rd place?! You not think I'd talk about taking down the Primo from a £6 sat? Or winning the Wednesday rebuy? Could even drop in a FT jackpot payout for good measure if I felt like I wanted to brag.

I was innocently comparing my circumstances around April this year to Peter's current 'dilemma', and encouraging him to go for it as it can open doors.

Ahem. Cough.

(that brag was as thin as my waistline).
  • edited November 2013
    Look Phantom, if I was gonna brag, you really think I'd use a 3rd place?! You not think I'd talk about taking down the Primo from a £6 sat? Or winning the Wednesday rebuy? Could even drop in a FT jackpot payout for good measure if I felt like I wanted to brag. I was innocently comparing my circumstances around April this year to Peter's current 'dilemma', and encouraging him to go for it as it can open doors. Ahem. Cough. (that brag was as thin as my waistline).
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    No shame.

No shame at all....
  • edited November 2013
    lol @gazza

@hhyft was meant as a joke - perhaps someone should invent a tongue in cheek emoticon? Not sure whether you are continuing the joke or took offence. If it's the latter then i'm sorry.

and getting back to the point no harm in anyone taking a punt at a biggie if they can afford it.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Aww we know that you know your shizzle Harry... downswings suck and really mash your head up. Just so I haven't completely wasted space on your diary I'll chuck out some input for ya Peter. I'd strongly urge you get rid of this idea that folding down to 5xBB is standard/fine/good. The are circumstances that'll call for it, when survival is key AND the stacks in play are all very short but generally it's bad. For instance if it's 200/400, and you have 2.2k (so 5.5xBB) but the other stacks around are like 2.5k, 1.6k and 1.9k, then it's not panic stations yet and you can use your noggin about how best to use your stack. If however it's more like 50/100 and you've voluntarily folded down to 550 (still 5.5xBB) chips while everyone else has 2.2k, 2.5, 1.8k or w.e then this is reaaaaallllyyy bad. You're just putting yourself in such a bad spot to cash where you're basically relying on the fact you will HAVE to get lucky. I see so many people do it in Sky MTTs ALLLLL the time and it's just so poor, yeh they may mincash a few more times when a better player may bust, and they may even run very very good the odd time, spin it up and go deep, but they're limiting their chances to go deep regularly so much. DYMs are obviously different, but the most important things in DYMs imo isn't necessarily your stack size, but your stack size in relation to everyone else's.
    Posted by Lambert180
    When I go down to 5BB's it is in a DYM, or on the bubble with other players in trouble in a Six-Max. I do judge the situation based on the chipstacks of other players so technically, we have the same opinion? It is just that at these low level games, this situation happens pretty much every tournament ..

We may come across this situation in our game later today, will be great fun!

In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player :  +1 - I took a diversion from my STT challenge to play a UKOPS mini this week and glad I did - was it great BRM - no- but had the money there and just wanted to part of it, Looking forward to the UK Poker champs sats now. Cough! This months nomination for thinly disguised brag post goes to...
    Posted by Phantom66
    Same here for the UK Poker Champs, but I will be using my BRM and BR for that one :-)

Have to say, this is not the response I expected from you guys! Last time I deposited to play a big tournament, I got shouted at, and rightly so - that's one of the reasons I made the diary - so people could complain when I'm not following BRM. UKOPS is different though, it's a special occasion that I want to be part of :-)
  • edited November 2013
    lol @gazza @hhyft was meant as a joke - perhaps someone should invent a tongue in cheek emoticon? Not sure whether you are continuing the joke or took offence. If it's the latter then i'm sorry. and getting back to the point no harm in anyone taking a punt at a biggie if they can afford it.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Sigh, thought it was pretty obvious I was continuing the joke. Bloody internet.
  • edited November 2013
    first half of the diary all the bankroll nits like myself are pulling the lad one way, then in come the degens pulling him the other!

superb results, and one of the best diaries on here, peter. i wish i had it in me to take shots like you do. you've got the game for it certainly.

hhyftrftdr's brags are sickening though, no-one needs to hear that.

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited November 2013
    first half of the diary all the bankroll nits like myself are pulling the lad one way, then in come the degens pulling him the other! superb results, and one of the best diaries on here, peter. i wish i had it in me to take shots like you do. you've got the game for it certainly. hhyftrftdr's brags are sickening though, no-one needs to hear that. cheers, TEDDY
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    You honour me Sir, thanks for the lovely words! :-)
  • edited November 2013
    Day 22

A big profit yesterday, mainly because of the Top of the posts tournament I was selected to play in :-)

Played 5 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 4th, 1st*, 3rd, 6th, 1st).

*This win was epic for me, my best ever comeback! When I was heads up, there were 9000 chips in play, I had just 365 and the blind levels were 50/100. Came away with the win though :D

Played 1 x £1 Double Your Money (result: 4th)
    Played 1 x Top of the posts (result: 2nd) - much better than I expected, netted me £30!
    Played 1 x £2 Double Your Money (result: 5th)
    Played 1 x £2 Turbo DYM (result: 2nd)

As you can see, after the £30 win I upped my entry to £2 tournaments. Balance now £70.69, not sure what levels I should be playing at now? Suggestions?

As I mentioned yesterday, I deposited specially for a UKOPS tournament (not counting towards this diary). I late regged for the £4000 GTD UKOPS event and managed to double up quite early, but got knocked out in this hand. Feel free to give feedback!

Will update the first post now! :-)

P.S. That's me done for UKOPS now, unless there are some great low stake/freeroll satellites today. Teacakes says the next UKOPS will probably be around christmas - hoping to have a decent bankroll for that via this diary! :-)
  • edited November 2013
    Day 23

Interesting day today, realised that as I'm now playing at slightly higher levels, my earning potential has significantly increased.

Played 3 x £2 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 1st, 1st, 5th)
    Played 1 x £2 Double Your Money (result: 6th)

Balance is now £76.74, will update the first post now.

I have to say, I am still not entirely sure what levels I should be playing at with this balance, open to suggestions here. Can I go up to £3/£4?
  • edited November 2013
    In the recent Top of the posts tournament, LARSON7 challenged me to a 50p best of three Heads-Up game. If you're reading this, we need to arrange a time for that!
  • edited November 2013
    I'm on for till about 1:30 or sometime tomorrow
  • edited November 2013
    Day 23 Interesting day today, realised that as I'm now playing at slightly higher levels, my earning potential has significantly increased. Played 3 x £2 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 1st, 1st, 5th) Played 1 x £2 Double Your Money (result: 6th) Balance is now £76.74, will update the first post now. I have to say, I am still not entirely sure what levels I should be playing at with this balance, open to suggestions here. Can I go up to £3/£4?
    Posted by peter27
    It seems like you're doing pretty well.
    I'd recommend moving up yo the £3.30 Dyms. Rake is less, which should be a consideration if you're putting decent volume in.
    Standard I would think is much the same as the £2.25 games.
    Dyms are low variance and I can't see you going broke playing the £3.30's
    If your bankroll starts to go down, just move back down.
  • edited November 2013
    I'm on for till about 1:30 or sometime tomorrow
    Posted by LARSON7
    I won't be playing until tonight. Do you have Skype or something? Will be easier to arrange then!
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : It seems like you're doing pretty well. I'd recommend moving up yo the £3.30 Dyms. Rake is less, which should be a consideration if you're putting decent volume in. Standard I would think is much the same as the £2.25 games. Dyms are low variance and I can't see you going broke playing the £3.30's If your bankroll starts to go down, just move back down.
    Posted by Jac35
    If I am going to move up to £3 games then I'd probably play six-max games rather than DYM's as I'm having much more success at them. But yes, It's worth considering, thanks! :-)
  • edited November 2013

£10 to £74 already - you are doing just great.

What a comeback in that thing you won, too, 965 chips was it?

Main thing- ABOVE EVEYTHING ELSE - is that you seem to be having fun.

Sometimes players forget that it's all about fun, & these sort of Diaries can become Chunter City.

None of us can win every day, we all have swings & swongs, there are no exceptions, so best get used to it, & enjoy the ride come what may.

Very pleased for you.

I am doing a similar "back to basics" thing, starting with £200, & I'm bound to say, I've never had so much fun, it has totally re-energised my interest in Online Poker.

I'd recommend it to anyone.
  • edited November 2013
    £10 to £74 already - you are doing just great. What a comeback in that thing you won, too, 965 chips was it? Main thing- ABOVE EVEYTHING ELSE - is that you seem to be having fun.   Sometimes players forget that it's all about fun, & these sort of Diaries can become Chunter City. None of us can win every day, we all have swings & swongs, there are no exceptions, so best get used to it, & enjoy the ride come what may. Very pleased for you. I am doing a similar "back to basics" thing, starting with £200, & I'm bound to say, I've never had so much fun, it has totally re-energised my interest in Online Poker. I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yeah, I am quite proud of my achievements so far. Part of the reason for creating this diary was to understand if I was actually any good or not and although I'm not the complete article yet, I do feel like I'm getting there!

My comeback was from 365 chips when my opponent had 8635 ... what can I say, I ran well! :-)

Couldn't agree more, doing this diary has really fueled my interest in the game and I find myself itching to play whenever I get the opportunity. I've been following your "Can an old dog learn new tricks?" diary, it's a very interesting read!
  • edited November 2013
    £10 to £74 already - you are doing just great. What a comeback in that thing you won, too, 965 chips was it? Main thing- ABOVE EVEYTHING ELSE - is that you seem to be having fun.   Sometimes players forget that it's all about fun, & these sort of Diaries can become Chunter City. None of us can win every day, we all have swings & swongs, there are no exceptions, so best get used to it, & enjoy the ride come what may. Very pleased for you. I am doing a similar "back to basics" thing, starting with £200, & I'm bound to say, I've never had so much fun, it has totally re-energised my interest in Online Poker. I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Gazza127.

Cough.
  • edited November 2013
    Day 24

Not too much play today, but ended on a small profit :-)

Played 2 x £2 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 2nd, 2nd)
    Played 1 x £2 Six-Max (result: 5th*)

* Went out of this tournament on this hand:
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    jonesy7130 Small blind   25.00 25.00 1010.00
    iceman7t7 Big blind   50.00 75.00 2102.50
      Your hole cards
    • Q

magicsix Fold        
    roy_flush Fold        
    peter27 Raise   150.00 225.00 1292.50
    jonesy7130 Fold        
    iceman7t7 Raise   200.00 425.00 1902.50
    peter27 Call   100.00 525.00 1192.50
    Flop

• K
    • K
    • A

iceman7t7 Check        
    peter27 Check        
    Turn

• Q

iceman7t7 Check        
    peter27 Check        
    River

iceman7t7 All-in   1902.50 2427.50 0.00
    peter27 All-in   1192.50 3620.00 0.00
    iceman7t7 Unmatched bet   710.00 2910.00 710.00
    iceman7t7 Show
    • K
    • Q

peter27 Show
    • Q

iceman7t7 Win Full House, Kings and Queens 2910.00   3620.00
    To be honest, I suspected he had a king from the reaction time of the check on the flop. However when he went all-in I decided to call because that was the 3rd time in about six hands he had gone all-in. He was playing very aggressively and I thought there's a chance he couldn't have decent hands every time. Plus I was getting tired so it was worth a shot!

Someone will probably mention my loose raise pre-flop, but based on the tightness of the other players on the table, and the fact I was in position - I decided to go for it.

I have to say though, I seem to be breaking my habit of calling all-ins just because "they might be bluffing" and because I'm a risk-taker. I'm quite proud of myself that I'm folding a lot more now :-)

Ended the day on £78.54, will update the first post now :-)
  • edited November 2013
    Day 24 Not too much play today, but ended on a small profit :-) Played 2 x £2 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 2nd, 2nd) Played 1 x £2 Six-Max (result: 5th*) * Went out of this tournament on this hand: Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance jonesy7130 Small blind   25.00 25.00 1010.00 iceman7t7 Big blind   50.00 75.00 2102.50   Your hole cards Q 9       magicsix Fold         roy_flush Fold         peter27 Raise   150.00 225.00 1292.50 jonesy7130 Fold         iceman7t7 Raise   200.00 425.00 1902.50 peter27 Call   100.00 525.00 1192.50 Flop     K K A       iceman7t7 Check         peter27 Check         Turn     Q       iceman7t7 Check         peter27 Check         River     9       iceman7t7 All-in   1902.50 2427.50 0.00 peter27 All-in   1192.50 3620.00 0.00 iceman7t7 Unmatched bet   710.00 2910.00 710.00 iceman7t7 Show K Q       peter27 Show Q 9       iceman7t7 Win Full House, Kings and Queens 2910.00   3620.00 To be honest, I suspected he had a king from the reaction time of the check on the flop. However when he went all-in I decided to call because that was the 3rd time in about six hands he had gone all-in. He was playing very aggressively and I thought there's a chance he couldn't have decent hands every time. Plus I was getting tired so it was worth a shot! Someone will probably mention my loose raise pre-flop, but based on the tightness of the other players on the table, and the fact I was in position - I decided to go for it. I have to say though, I seem to be breaking my habit of calling all-ins just because "they might be bluffing" and because I'm a risk-taker. I'm quite proud of myself that I'm folding a lot more now :-) Ended the day on £78.54, will update the first post now :-)
    Posted by peter27
    Your doing very good mate keep it up

Just looking at that last play maybe a bet on the flop would of saved you some but easy to say once the hand is done ... obviously getting alot stronger ... in a year maybe a a wsop final table ;)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Your doing very good mate keep it up Just looking at that last play maybe a bet on the flop would of saved you some but easy to say once the hand is done ... obviously getting alot stronger ... in a year maybe a a wsop final table ;)
    Posted by EasyHoney
    Would it? I mean, he did have a king as I expected - he's not gonna fold trip kings? Even if my hand did look stronger.

Haha, Phil Ivy watch out!