You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Diary of a fledgling player

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Will give a full update tomorrow - not now because I'm up at 5AM for a job interview!

Anyhow, just wanted to post/boast about finishing 9th in tonights main event to take £89.60 - that changes my bankroll considerably :p
  • edited December 2013
    Day 44

Right, yesterdays update! Played an awful lot of tournaments with the following results:

Played 6 x £1 Heads-Up (Hyper) (results: 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st)
    Played 1 x 50p DYM (result: 5th)
    Played 1 x £1 Russian Roulette (result: 1st)
    Played 1 x £25 Guaranteed* (result: 6th)
    Played 1 x 5K Open Super Sat** (result: 8th, qualified!)
    Played 1 x 5K Open All-In (result: did not qualify) - was trying to get an extra £11
    Played 1 x 5K Turbo Open*** (result: 9th!!)

* This was one of the maddest tournaments I've ever seen! Only 19 players entered, but there were 16 re-buys and 9 add-ons meaning the prize pool was very big. I did not take any re-buys or add-ons and was running very strongly. The top three got paid but sadly I got knocked out with QQ against AA to finish in 6th place.

** Qualified despite this harsh hand:
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    alan1506 Small blind   30.00 30.00 6050.00
    Initfun Big blind   60.00 90.00 905.00
      Your hole cards
    • J

DARK4NIGHT Fold        
    peter27 Raise   120.00 210.00 5767.50
    ringbeam1 Call   120.00 330.00 1360.00
    DiamondDec Fold        
    alan1506 Fold        
    Initfun Fold        
    Flop

peter27 Check        
    ringbeam1 Bet   240.00 570.00 1120.00
    peter27 Call   240.00 810.00 5527.50
    Turn

peter27 Check        
    ringbeam1 All-in   1120.00 1930.00 0.00
    peter27 Call   1120.00 3050.00 4407.50
    peter27 Show
    • J

ringbeam1 Show

River

ringbeam1 Win Full House, 5s and 8s 3050.00   3050.00
    *** Took away £89.60 for that 9th place! Also won the last longer competition to win free entry into Thursday's £12K Sky Sports BH :-)

Balance is now a whopping £136.26!! Will update the first post now. I guess this means I can now enter £5 tournaments. Also happy to have a much better bankroll ahead of christmas UKOPS :-)

P.S. The job interview went very well, in case you were wondering.
  • edited December 2013
    Great result, a major steping stone, very well played. Good BR management remains crucial even when winning, don't get carried away or you risk losing it back very quickly.

Good luck for the job.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player:
    Day 44 Right, yesterdays update! Played an awful lot of tournaments with the following results: Played 6 x £1 Heads-Up (Hyper) (results: 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st) Played 1 x 50p DYM (result: 5th) Played 1 x £1 Russian Roulette (result: 1st) Played 1 x £25 Guaranteed * (result: 6th) Played 1 x 5K Open Super Sat ** (result: 8th, qualified!) Played 1 x 5K Open All-In (result: did not qualify) - was trying to get an extra £11 Played 1 x 5K Turbo Open*** (result: 9th!!) * This was one of the maddest tournaments I've ever seen! Only 19 players entered, but there were 16 re-buys and 9 add-ons meaning the prize pool was very big. I did not take any re-buys or add-ons and was running very strongly. The top three got paid but sadly I got knocked out with QQ against AA to finish in 6th place. ** Qualified despite this harsh hand: Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance alan1506 Small blind   30.00 30.00 6050.00 Initfun Big blind   60.00 90.00 905.00   Your hole cards 10 J       DARK4NIGHT Fold         peter27 Raise   120.00 210.00 5767.50 ringbeam1 Call   120.00 330.00 1360.00 DiamondDec Fold         alan1506 Fold         Initfun Fold         Flop     8 6 5       peter27 Check         ringbeam1 Bet   240.00 570.00 1120.00 peter27 Call   240.00 810.00 5527.50 Turn     10       peter27 Check         ringbeam1 All-in   1120.00 1930.00 0.00 peter27 Call   1120.00 3050.00 4407.50 peter27 Show 10 J       ringbeam1 Show 5 5       River     8       ringbeam1 Win Full House, 5s and 8s 3050.00   3050.00 *** Took away £89.60 for that 9th place! Also won the last longer competition to win free entry into Thursday's £12K Sky Sports BH :-) Balance is now a whopping £136.26!! Will update the first post now. I guess this means I can now enter £5 tournaments. Also happy to have a much better bankroll ahead of christmas UKOPS :-) P.S. The job interview went very well, in case you were wondering.
    Posted by peter27
    well done on the Turbo open performance!

depends how aggressive you are being with your BR management (of course you can just do what ever you want)

£136 is only 25ish buy ins for £5.50/ £5.75 tourneys... but it seems like a good time to "take a shot" as we were discussing before

if £2 are your normal buy in, then if it was me, I would leave £100 to one side for those, and use the £36 to "take a shot" at the £5 tourneys. GLGL! Obv you can ignore me, your money, thats just what I would do.

well done on the job interview too btw.
  • edited December 2013
    Day 45

A small profit today :-)

Played 4 x £5 Turbo DYM's (results: 4th, 5th, 3rd, 5th)
    Played 3 x £5 DYM's (results: 3rd, 3rd, 3rd)

Also played in the Double GTD Main FR, but went all-in when I knew I would lose because my girlfriend was Skype calling and I wanted to talk to her with no distractions - was only a freeroll so I wasn't too fussed about it.

Now on £137.76, will update the first post now. What is more important than the small profit though, is that I was able to score 50 points for the first time this month. It was too difficult to achieve at the levels I was previously playing, but now I have a chance of making one of the freerolls in January as part of Sky's Winter Wonderland promotion :-)

I'll end up this days report by posting this quite nice hand from earlier today:
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    peter27 Small blind   100.00 100.00 970.00
    Phaderus Big blind   200.00 300.00 1920.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • Q

SLOWROLL74 Fold        
    catkerr Fold        
    Afrah Fold        
    peter27 All-in   970.00 1270.00 0.00
    Phaderus Call   870.00 2140.00 1050.00
    peter27 Show
    • J
    • Q

Phaderus Show
    • K
    • A

Flop

• Q
    • Q
    • J

Turn

River

peter27 Win Full House, Queens and Jacks 2140.00   2140.00
  • edited December 2013
    Great result, a major steping stone, very well played. Good BR management remains crucial even when winning, don't get carried away or you risk losing it back very quickly. Good luck for the job.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    A very valuable lesson from someone who has been there and done it, thank you! :-)

In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : well done on the Turbo open performance! depends how aggressive you are being with your BR management (of course you can just do what ever you want) £136 is only 25ish buy ins for £5.50/ £5.75 tourneys... but it seems like a good time to "take a shot" as we were discussing before if £2 are your normal buy in, then if it was me, I would leave £100 to one side for those, and use the £36 to "take a shot" at the £5 tourneys. GLGL! Obv you can ignore me, your money, thats just what I would do. well done on the job interview too btw.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Yep, that was the plan! £5 tournaments until the point where I reach £250 or £100. At that point I will switch to either £10 or £2 tournaments respectively.
  • edited December 2013
    Day 46

My balance keeps rapidly rising at the moment!! :-)

Played 1 x £2 Heads-Up (Hyper) (result: 2nd)
    Played 1 x £3 Heads-Up (Hyper) (result: 2nd)
    Played 2 x £5 Double Your Money (results: 6th, 3rd)
    Played 1 x £100 Gtd (30 mins) (result: knocked out)
    Played 2 x £100 Gtd (15 mins) (results: 3rd for £15.49, 5th for £11.01)
    Played 1 x £12K Sky Sports BH* (result: didn't cash but took 4 heads for £45!)
    Played 1 x £25K B/H Super Sat (result: 10th, qualified! Will be playing next Thursday)

* Don't forget this tournament was free entry for me due to winning the last longer competition on Tuesday, that means £45 profit!!

Balance is now £181.51! Will update the first post now :-)
  • edited December 2013
    Ticking along nicely now Peter!! Wp!!
  • edited December 2013
    Day 47

Another cracking day!

Played 3 x £5 Turbo DYM's (results: 4th, 1st, 3rd)
    Played 2 x £5 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 2nd, 2nd)
    Played 1 x £5 Heads-Up (Speed) (result: 2nd)
    Played 1 x £300 Gtd (30 mins) (result: 3rd to take £30.76)
    Played 1 x £10K BH Direct (result: didn't qualify)

Balance now up to £210.15, that's just over £200 profit in 47 days! That's better than I expected to be honest! First post to be updated now.

There is something I need advice on though. As you guys (probably) all know, next week is double rewards for the main events. I know one player (who will remain anonymous) who is wanting to play the majority of them, but doesn't want to pay the cost that this will incur. He has offered me the chance to pay 10% of his entrance fees (£18.70) in return for 10% of his winnings.

The player is mainly a cash game player, and he has an interesting record on sharkscope. He has a consistent losing record for his first 2000 games, but for his most recent 1000 games he has become a consistent winning player and is in profit, making around £1000 in those 1000 games.

Should I go for the deal? Thoughts please.
  • edited December 2013
    Hi Peter results going pretty good. Try to play the normal DYMs I am hoping to move up to the 5.50 ones soon. I find the turbo ones are just too quick and are a bit of a lottery.

Not to sure about the staking idea I am sure other guys have done it before. Perhaps you could use the 18 quid to play the turbo and play in a few sats for the main events urself next week. I might break my BRM to play the turbo as its doubled.
  • edited December 2013
    Day 47 Another cracking day! Played 3 x £5 Turbo DYM's (results: 4th, 1st, 3rd) Played 2 x £5 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 2nd, 2nd) Played 1 x £5 Heads-Up (Speed) (result: 2nd) Played 1 x £300 Gtd (30 mins) (result: 3rd to take £30.76) Played 1 x £10K BH Direct (result: didn't qualify) Balance now up to £210.15, that's just over £200 profit in 47 days! That's better than I expected to be honest! First post to be updated now. There is something I need advice on though. As you guys (probably) all know, next week is double rewards for the main events. I know one player (who will remain anonymous) who is wanting to play the majority of them, but doesn't want to pay the cost that this will incur. He has offered me the chance to pay 10% of his entrance fees (£18.70) in return for 10% of his winnings. The player is mainly a cash game player, and he has an interesting record on sharkscope. He has a consistent losing record for his first 2000 games, but for his most recent 1000 games he has become a consistent winning player and is in profit, making around £1000 in those 1000 games. Should I go for the deal? Thoughts please.
    Posted by peter27
    Fwiw ive taken 20% of this player for each tournament. Dunno if id do it if it was out of your roll. Guess thats a judgement call.
  • edited December 2013
    Hey buddy!

Just read your diary, doing brilliant with the results! very impressive boost to your bankroll since the last time I checked in.

Re, buying action in some one.

It's a gamble, if they win big it's a great return on investment, by the same token if they lose  every game then there is nothing to show for it. If they cash, but don't make really deep runs, then you'll get back your stake, maybe with a bit more or less, depending on the level of the cash.

I think 10% is to much (if any) at all, given bankroll. If you were going to do something like this I would say do 5% maximum, so just under a tenner. Bearing in mind it's a bit of a calculated gamble, if you would not be happy losing a tenner, then I would definatly say don't do it. 

• edited December 2013
    Ticking along nicely now Peter!! Wp!!
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Thanks! Things going quite well at the moment :-)

Hi Peter results going pretty good. Try to play the normal DYMs I am hoping to move up to the 5.50 ones soon. I find the turbo ones are just too quick and are a bit of a lottery. Not to sure about the staking idea I am sure other guys have done it before. Perhaps you could use the 18 quid to play the turbo and play in a few sats for the main events urself next week. I might break my BRM to play the turbo as its doubled.
    Posted by stuarty117
    I do play normal DYM's occasionally, but to be honest I do prefer the Turbo and Speed games - more variance for sure, but I just enjoy fast paced poker more. Actually this is funny because I am probably best at deepstack tournaments, I just don't enjoy them as much.

True about the £18. Although the Turbo Tuesday main event is quite cheap anyway, will try satellite in but if not I'll prolly just buy my seat as it is my favourite tournament on Sky Poker. Additionally, I have already qualified for the £25K Sky Sports Bounty Hunter, got in for just over £7 :-)

In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Fwiw ive taken 20% of this player for each tournament. Dunno if id do it if it was out of your roll. Guess thats a judgement call.
    Posted by gazza127
    I guess you know who the player is then! Have you ever taken action in the player before? How did it go?

Hey buddy! Just read your diary, doing brilliant with the results! very impressive boost to your bankroll since the last time I checked in. Re, buying action in some one. It's a gamble, if they win big it's a great return on investment, by the same token if they lose  every game then there is nothing to show for it. If they cash, but don't make really deep runs, then you'll get back your stake, maybe with a bit more or less, depending on the level of the cash. I think 10% is to much (if any) at all, given bankroll. If you were going to do something like this I would say do 5% maximum, so just under a tenner. Bearing in mind it's a bit of a calculated gamble, if you would not be happy losing a tenner, then I would definatly say don't do it.   
    Posted by LARSON7
    Yeah - I am on a bit of a roll right now :D

Interesting thoughts on buying action. My roll is probably too small to buy 10%, but having said that, the £18.70 would essentially get the player in to five tournaments, I'm thinking that he'll have a decent cash in at least one?
  • edited December 2013
    Day 48

For the first time in a while, I had a losing day!

Played 1 x £1.5K All-In Sat (result: didn't qualify!)
    Played 1 x £5 Heads-Up (Turbo) (result: 2nd)
    Played 1 x £5 Double Your Money (result: 1st)
    Played 2 x £5 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 1st, 2nd)
    Played 1 x £100 Gtd (15 mins) (result: knocked out in both!)
    Played 3 x £5 Turbo DYM's (results: 6th, 4th, 5th)

Balance is now £197.90, will update the first post now.

Very determined to hit £250 in the next 10 days (by the end of day 58) to keep my good run going! :-)
  • edited December 2013
    Day 49 (Sunday)

Tried desperately to qualify for the primo but couldn't manage it. Balance took a dent as a result:

Played 1 x £2K Mini Primo (result: out before late reg ended)
    Played 1 x £300 Gtd (30 mins) (result: 5th for £22.51)

As part of the primo quest I played the £15K Primo LR Sat, the £15K Primo Direct, the £15K Hyper Sat and the £15K All-In Sat.

Day 50 (Monday)

Played 3 x £20K B/H Direct (results: didn't qualify, 2nd - qualified, 4th* - bubbled out!)
    Played 1 x £20K B/Hunter (result: knocked out just before the second break, no heads)
    Played 1 x £10K Turbo Direct (result: didn't qualify)
    Played 3 x £100 Gtd (15 mins) (results: knocked out, 8th for £10.89, 5th for £14.63)
    Played 2 x £5 Turbo DYM's (results: 4th, 3rd)

My luck has been strange over the last few days, not sure if it's good or bad TBH. I don't seem to be hitting anything on the flop apart from when I've folded my cards and then I would have hit a straight on the flop ... happened to me quite a lot recently!

Gone a little bit satellite crazy lately, double rewards and the upcoming UKOPS makes it hard not to.

Balance is now £179.63, will update the first post now. May focus more on STT's again tomorrow to build back up to above the £200 mark.

* Only played this tournament to try and earn an extra £33, as I was already qualified. Only needed one position higher (3rd) to win it! :-(
  • edited December 2013
    Day 51

Ended the last post saying I was going to play more STT's today, that didn't happen haha!

Played 3 x £10K Turbo Direct (results: 2nd - qualified, 1st* - £11, 4th* - £11)
    Played 1 x £10K Turbo Open (result: out just before the second tournament break)
    Played 1 x £1500 BH Direct (result: 8th, didn't qualify)
    Played 1 x £5 Turbo DYM (result: 4th)
    Played 1 x £5 Six-Max (speed) (result: 1st)
    Played 1 x £5 Heads-Up (speed) (result: 2nd)
    Played 2 x £100 Gtd (15 mins) (results: 7th for £9.25, 1st for £24.57)

Balance is now £214.50, will update the first post now!

* Played these purely to try get the £11 buy-in equivalent. I've got to say I do REALLY enjoy trying to qualify for tournaments more than once in order to win the money. For some reason, I seem to do epic-ly well in satellites. I would say I reach the qualification places in 90% of satellites I enter which is amazing, I think?
  • edited December 2013
    Day 51B

Couldn't resist playing one more MTT before bed! Played the £75 Gtd (15 mins) and finished 9th to take £6.88! I do love those timed tournaments :-)

Balance now £215.88, will update the first post again now!
  • edited December 2013
    Nice result in the 5K Open last week
    A nice boost to the BR which has shot up since i last looked

GL m8
  • edited December 2013
    Nice result in the 5K Open last week A nice boost to the BR which has shot up since i last looked GL m8
    Posted by MP33
    Thanks MP33, can't wait to hit the £300 mark now :D
  • edited December 2013
    Haven't done an update for a while, been very busy. Let me get you upto speed!

Day 52 (Wednesday)

Played 3 x £100 Gtd (30 mins) (results: knocked out twice, cashed for 63p the third time)
    Played 2 x £100 Gtd (15 mins) (results: 11th for £9, knocked out)
    Played 1 x £75 Gtd (15 mins) (result: 7th for £4.44)
    Played 1 x £20k UKOPS 4 Sat (result: finished 2nd, needed 1st!!)
    Played 1 x £25k B/H Direct* (result: 4th, needed 2nd or 1st!!)

* This would have been for £33 as I already qualified for that tournament last week.

Day 53 (Thursday)

Played 1 x £25k Sky Sports BH (result: out just before the first tournament break)
    Played 2 x £5 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 5th, 1st)
    Played 1 x £5 Heads-Up (Hyper) (result: 2nd -.-)
    Played 1 x £10 Double Your Money** (result: 6th)
    Played 3 x £5 Turbo DYM's (results: 1st, 4th, 4th)
    Played 3 x £100 Gtd (15 mins) (results: 6th for £13.87, knocked out first, 1st for £33.37)
    Played 1 x £75 Gtd (15 mins) (result: knocked out)
    Played 1 x £20 Gtd (15 mins) (result: 7th for £3.31 ... a massive 1p profit!)

** Was taking a shot with this STT. Was actually the chip leader for a few levels but lost a race AJ vs K10 which put me in a bad position.

Balance at the end of yesterday was £201.25, will update the first post now.
  • edited December 2013
    I realise I didn't do an update yesterday, will do a big one tonight.

I am haemorrhaging money at the moment though! Very low on confidence and not really sure if it's luck or me! Suggestions please?!
  • edited December 2013
    I realise I didn't do an update yesterday, will do a big one tonight. I am haemorrhaging money at the moment though! Very low on confidence and not really sure if it's luck or me! Suggestions please ?!
    Posted by peter27
    Yeah, join the fun at the 2p/4p charity table!

ROCKINGHAM.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Yeah, join the fun at the 2p/4p charity table! ROCKINGHAM.
    Posted by Slipwater
    That was a good suggestion, ended up with about £4 profit, cheers :p
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : That was a good suggestion, ended up with about £4 profit, cheers :p
    Posted by peter27
    :)
  • edited December 2013
    Day 54 (Friday)

This was, by far, the worst day of poker I have ever had!

Played 1 x £30 Speed B/Hunter (result: 9th, took one head for £1.88)
    Played 2 x £20k B/H Early Sat (results: 2nd - needed 1st!, 5th)
    Played 2 x £20k B/H Direct (results: didn't qualify from either)
    Played 1 x £20k B/H Sat (result: 1st - got me into the semi)
    Played 1 x £20k B/H Semi (result: knocked out mid-way through)
    Played 1 x £20k B/H All-In Sat (result: didn't qualify)
    Played 1 x £20k B/H Hyper Sat (result: didn't qualify)
    Played 5 x £100 Gtd (15 mins) (results: 10th for £6.18, 4th for £10.38, 9th for £9.37, 12th for £8, 14th for £5.75)
    Played 1 x £300 Gtd (30 mins) (result: knocked out in the last hand!)
    Played 1 x £2000 Mini B/H (result: stupidly jammed - knocked out)
    Played 1 x £5 Turbo DYM (result: 6th)
    Played 4 x £5 Double Your Money (results: 6th, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd)
    Played 1 x £200 Guarnteed (result: 20th - top 10 paid ... was actually running really well until the first break when my luck just vanished!)

Day 55 (Saturday)

Started badly, but felt like my luck was coming back towards the end of the day.

Played 3 x £5 Double Your Money (results: 4th, 4th, 5th)
    Played 1 x £5 Six-Max (Speed) (result: 3rd)
    Played 3 x £100 Gtd (15 mins) (results: knocked out, 18th for £6.87, knocked out)
    Played 1 x £75 Gtd (15 mins) (result: knocked out)
    Played 1 x 25p Turbo DYM (result: 6th)
    Played 1 x £200 Guarnteed (result: 11th - needed top six to cash)
    Played 1 x £750 Bounty Hunter (result: 82nd, £1.88 in head prizes)
    Played 1 x £100 Bounty Hunter (result: 21st, £4.22 in head prizes)

Also joined Larson and Slipwater in their charity challenge on cash for a little while, ended about £4 up.

A terrible weekend for me really though, started on about £200, now down to £119.14 .. :-(

Will update the first post now. Could do with some advice about where I go from here TBH, pretty down about my poker right now!
  • edited December 2013
    Buy into the Primo tonight and take it down for like 7k.

Easy game!
  • edited December 2013
    Buy into the Primo tonight and take it down for like 7k. Easy game!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Would LOVE to but it's half my bankroll! Plus I'm not free this evening anyway :-(
  • edited December 2013
    Buy into the Primo tonight and take it down for like 7k. Easy game!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I'm pretty sure Sky rigged it for me to do this tonight.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : I'm pretty sure Sky rigged it for me to do this tonight.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Shouldn't you be sleeping right now? xD
  • edited December 2013
    Day 56 (Sunday)

Played 1 x £5 Double Your Money (result: 1st)
    Played 1 x £2 Russian Roulette (result: 1st)
    Played 1 x £100 Speed B/Hunter (result: out-drawn quite badly so no cash, £1.88 head prizes)

Day 57
    (Monday)

Played 1 x £150 Speed B/Hunt (result: knocked out mid-way through, zero heads)
    Played 1 x £20K UKOPS 1 Sat (result: 2nd for £9.60)
    Played 1 x £2000 Mini B/H (result: knocked out due to brilliant play from opponent!)
    Played 1 x £200 Guaranteed (result: 28th)
    Played 1 x £5 Six-Max (Speed) (result: 6th)

Day 58 (Tuesday)

Played 5 x £5K Open All-In (result: didn't qualify from any of them .. )
    Played 1 x £100 Deep Stack (result: went out in 45th!)
    Played 1 x £2K Mini Turbo BH (result: 163rd, £5.64 bounties, that's a monumental 14p profit!)
    Played 1 x £250 Bounty Hunter (result: 67th, one hour of play, nothing to show for it!)
    Played 1 x £5 Turbo DYM (result: 3rd)

The rot continues, I'm now on £94.98 :-( I do feel like it is beginning to stabilise though - and I'm more determined than ever right now! Mark my words, I will be back up to £200 for when UKOPS begins.

Will update the first post now!