You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Diary of a fledgling player

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Desperate to play a big MTT right now, the £500 GTD Turbo has caught my eye, but I'm staying stong!!
  • edited November 2013
    New poster Pete! Stay strong m8!   I believe you can fly! ;-)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player:
    New poster Pete! Stay strong m8!   I believe you can fly! ;-)
    Posted by Glenelg
    Haha, I'm doing my best - but it's taking all my will power! :p
  • edited November 2013
    Day 32

Now we're cooking again!!

Played 5 x Six-Max (Speed) (results: 1st, 4th, 1st, 1st, 6th)
    Played 1 x Heads-Up (Speed) (result: 2nd)

Balance back up to £55.57! Will update the first post now :-)

P.S. I have been charting my progress since the beginning, I have uploaded the image in the first post ;-)

EDIT: Also played in The Social FR (just forgot to mention it!). As it was a FR, and I was distracted - I was playing very, very loose and actually got quite far but eventually got knocked out with no prize.
  • edited November 2013
    Just an update guys, I had a great time with my girlfriend and I will be back from tomorrow! I did play a few games in the last few days, will update you tomorrow morning :-)
    Posted by peter27
    Come on Peter, don't be shy....
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Come on Peter, don't be shy....
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    No comment ;-)
  • edited November 2013
    Day 33

It seems like I'm finally back on track!

Played 2 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 3rd, 2nd)
    Played 1 x £1 Russian Roulette* (result: 2nd)
    Played 1 x £250 Bounty Hunter (result: finished 13th/158, taking £2.43 + £2.25 in head prizes)

Balance now £56.75. Will update the first post now!

*These are not great for building a bankroll, but I do enjoy them and feel like it is worth the shot sometimes. This one was crazy though, I got dealt AA! Was delighted! Lost out to hole cards of 6 and 9 though, opponent had two pair .. :-(
  • edited November 2013
    Day 34

Played 3 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 6th, 3rd, 5th)

No cashes today sadly, but I feel like I am playing well! Just losing those flips ... :-(

Balance is now £53.45, will update the first post now!
  • edited November 2013
    Just a small update that I didn't play today - will play some STT's tomorrow :-)
  • edited November 2013
    Day 35

A small loss today, quickly realising that I need to try play poker in a controlled environment more - got to limit the amount of distractions!

Played 1 x £5k Open All-In (result: did not qualify!)
    Played 1 x 25p DYM (result: 5th)
    Played 1 x 50p DYM (result: 3rd)
    Played 1 x £1 DYM (result: 5th)

Balance now £51.80, will update the first post now.

I seem to be stuck around the £50 mark, I really need to get back to winning ways and get out of this rut!
  • edited November 2013
    Day 36

Did not play yesterday, that's why there was no update, today however:

Played 2 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 2nd, 3rd)

That means I pretty much have the same balance as my last update, now £51.70 (slightly down due to rake). Will update the first post in a second :-)

There has been a lot of debate on the forums recently about too many diaries, curious to know if mine bothers any of you? I mean, is my diary one of the ones you guys are complaining about? I don't want to create any annoyance on the forums!
  • edited November 2013
    Also, just wanted to post this interesting hand from today - was loving life on the river!! (If you ignore that he had straight and flush draws anyway :p)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    peter27 Small blind   75.00 75.00 2010.00
    ACESHIGHAA Big blind   150.00 225.00 6765.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

peter27 Raise   225.00 450.00 1785.00
    ACESHIGHAA All-in   6765.00 7215.00 0.00
    peter27 All-in   1785.00 9000.00 0.00
    ACESHIGHAA Unmatched bet   4830.00 4170.00 4830.00
    peter27 Show
    • A
    • Q

ACESHIGHAA Show
    • A
    • K

Flop

• Q
    • J
    • Q

Turn

River

ACESHIGHAA Win Straight to the Ace 4170.00   9000.00
  • edited November 2013
    Personally I don't have a problem with the number of diaries - they keep they forum alive IMO. 

I think u played the interesting hand just fine btw - very impressed. Don't be concerned by the result - they should be shoving a lot worse than AQ in that spot! 
  • edited November 2013
    Personally I don't have a problem with the number of diaries - they keep they forum alive IMO.  I think u played the interesting hand just fine btw - very impressed. Don't be concerned by the result - they should be shoving a lot worse than AQ in that spot! 
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Thanks! Coming from an experienced member of the community like you, that means a lot :-)
  • edited November 2013
    Day 37

Well, when I started this diary - I had never really experienced long-term variance like some people were telling me exists! I have now though ..

Played 3 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 3rd, 3rd, 6th)
    Played 1 x £1 Heads-Up (Turbo) (result: 2nd)

Down to £49.35 ... really need this downswing to stop :|

Will update the first post now.
  • edited November 2013
    Day 37 Well, when I started this diary - I had never really experienced long-term variance like some people were telling me exists! I have now though .. Played 3 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 3rd, 3rd, 6th) Played 1 x £1 Heads-Up (Turbo) (result: 2nd) Down to £49.35 ... really need this downswing to stop :| Will update the first post now.
    Posted by peter27
    downswings suck! I'm in one too atm.

Are you looking at why your not winning? every tourney I go out of I try to analyse what went wrong...Normally there is something I could have done better...

If I were you I'd be posting as many hands as possible on here - there are loads of people browsing the forums all day just waiting for a juicy hand to get their head round! Even if the response is just "yeah, that was UL" ... then at leats you now :)
  • edited November 2013
    Haven't posted for a few days - I was very angry and annoyed TBH, you're about to see why:

Day 38

Broke my BRM in a big way (this was Sunday). Saw a £20K Roller Direct torunament in the very late stages of late reg, cost £12 to register - and there were only 8 players left with the winner qualifying and the person in second place winning cash! I decided to enter purely because of the value, it was too good not to take!

The reason I was so angry? Finished 3rd ... went out in a horrible way too! 2nd place would have netted me £88!! Gutted. Although don't have any regrets.

Day 39

One more shot at qualifying for the Super Roller, but just via a cheap £20K All-In Sat this time, didn't manage to qualify though!

Day 40 (today)

Played 1 x £25 Guarnteed (result: 2nd, won £7.50) - I haven't played these tournaments a lot, but I do seem to cash in them when I do, might start playing them more regularly!
    Played 2 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 3rd, 3rd) - Not having a lot of luck in Six-Max right now, may switch to DYM's again from tomorrow.

Balance is now £37.45, will update the first post now. If I carry on like this I will need to re-deposit soon ..
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : downswings suck! I'm in one too atm. Are you looking at why your not winning? every tourney I go out of I try to analyse what went wrong...Normally there is something I could have done better... If I were you I'd be posting as many hands as possible on here - there are loads of people browsing the forums all day just waiting for a juicy hand to get their head round! Even if the response is just "yeah, that was UL" ... then at leats you now :)
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Yep, I do analysis at the end of every day. Do also post in the poker clinic, but I try not to have more than three unresolved topics at a time, don't want to be accused of spamming haha!
  • edited November 2013
    You know whats wrong, peter and how to fix it. Just need your discipline back. Dont chase spots outside your brm evem if it's got  percieved value. Put it this way if I offered you a 55% edge for your whole life roll it would be +ev but if you continued taking those +ev flips for your roll you would be guarenteed to  go broke eventually. Stay disciplined and allow your skill to grow your roll again. reread your diary. 

Very best of luck, I hope it all turns round for you...
  • edited November 2013
    Peter, if you can deposit again without it compromising your life roll (for want of a better term), then I wouldn't worry about taking the odd shot. 

Very strict BRM should be for people who either play for a living or simply can't afford to deposit again should they go busto. Obviously, good BRM is a big aspect of poker, but if you want to try and go for a big score occasionally then fill your boots I say. 

Christmas UKOPS is coming.... ;)
  • edited November 2013
    I thought the whole point of the diary was to help stop him taking too many shots... I think hhy and Teddy both have valid points...

its only taking a shot when its an occasional thing, or if you set a small amount of your BR aside to try and make it in bigger games, but if your doing it all the time, its just playing outside of your BR.

for example, if you have £150 in your BR, you might decide to set aside £50 to take a shot at £5 tourneys, then drop back down to £2 tourneys if it doesnt work out, or as a one off, play in a £33 main event etc. The main thing to make sure of is that you have a good enough bankroll to play your main games AFTER you have taken a shot and failed...

of course, if you dont mind depositing whenever you feel like playing and the previous night or 2 hasnt gone well, then you dont have to worry about it.
  • edited November 2013
    Day 41

Well I've had an interesting day!

Played 1 x £250 Gtd Speed Rebuy (result: 25th, top 12 cashed).

Went out on this hand, fairly cruel after I was coming back well from a poor start.
    mystro Small blind   600.00 600.00 21302.50
    peter27 Big blind   1200.00 1800.00 9638.32
      Your hole cards

Paulie_5 Fold        
    timbo84 Fold        
    chauni1990 Call   1200.00 3000.00 10930.00
    mystro Call   600.00 3600.00 20702.50
    peter27 Check        
    Flop

mystro Bet   1200.00 4800.00 19502.50
    peter27 All-in   9638.32 14438.32 0.00
    chauni1990 Fold        
    mystro Call   8438.32 22876.64 11064.18
    mystro Show

peter27 Show

Turn

River

mystro Win Full House, 8s and 2s 22876.64   33940.82
    Played 2 x £1 DYM's (results: 2nd, 2nd)
    Played 1 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (result: 1st)

I won the six-max in comical fashion, and it shows why I am not ready to multi-table yet:
    welsh65 Small blind   100.00 100.00 2487.50
    peter27 Big blind   200.00 300.00 4400.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q

HitOnRiver All-in   1812.50 2112.50 0.00
    welsh65 Call   1712.50 3825.00 775.00
    peter27 All-in   4400.00 8225.00 0.00
    welsh65 All-in   775.00 9000.00 0.00
    peter27 Unmatched bet   2012.50 6987.50 2012.50
    welsh65 Show
    • K
    • A

peter27 Show
    • Q

HitOnRiver Show
    • A

Flop

• J

Turn

River

• A

peter27 Win Flush to the Queen 6987.50   9000.00
    I guess the question you're going to ask is why did I go all-in pre-flop with 7Q when two players already committed? I was playing one of the DYM's at the same time, and got dealt AA - I thought that was on this table and quickly went all-in .. -.-

Thankfully, it all worked out okay though! I do feel like my luck is back now so I'm going to play quite a lot tomorrow :-)

Also earned £10 from the guess the goals forum competition - balance now £47.55, will update the first post now!
  • edited November 2013
    You know whats wrong, peter and how to fix it. Just need your discipline back. Dont chase spots outside your brm evem if it's got  percieved value. Put it this way if I offered you a 55% edge for your whole life roll it would be +ev but if you continued taking those +ev flips for your roll you would be guarenteed to  go broke eventually. Stay disciplined and allow your skill to grow your roll again. reread your diary.  Very best of luck, I hope it all turns round for you...
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Very good point that! I guess sometimes I just feel like it is worth the risk for the potential winnings? For example, "The chance to win a seat to torunament x and potentially take £1000, that's got to be worth £2 of anyone's money" .. I know this is wrong though!

Peter, if you can deposit again without it compromising your life roll (for want of a better term), then I wouldn't worry about taking the odd shot.  Very strict BRM should be for people who either play for a living or simply can't afford to deposit again should they go busto. Obviously, good BRM is a big aspect of poker, but if you want to try and go for a big score occasionally then fill your boots I say.  Christmas UKOPS is coming.... ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Haha, "life roll" - what a great phrase :D

I could easily re-deposit again, but I'm trying to become a consistent winning player and poor BRM won't allow me to do that. I want to be withdrawing from Sky Poker, not depositing.

Yes - christmas UKOPS is coming! What a dilema! :/

its only taking a shot when its an occasional thing
    Posted by chicknMelt
    So you're saying it is okay to take a shot from time to time if your bankroll still be decent if you lost. In that case define "an occasional thing" for me in terms of duration? :-)
  • edited November 2013
    I take the 'ocassional shot' almost on a daily basis.  I seem to do OK, although the swings arent fantastic...

If you can afford to deposit, you could start playing higher games still within good BRM?  Just an idea if your fed up grinding the smaller games...

You're money and all that...
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Very good point that! I guess sometimes I just feel like it is worth the risk for the potential winnings? For example, "The chance to win a seat to torunament x and potentially take £1000, that's got to be worth £2 of anyone's money" .. I know this is wrong though! In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Haha, "life roll" - what a great phrase :D I could easily re-deposit again, but I'm trying to become a consistent winning player and poor BRM won't allow me to do that. I want to be withdrawing from Sky Poker, not depositing. Yes - christmas UKOPS is coming! What a dilema! :/ In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : So you're saying it is okay to take a shot from time to time if your bankroll still be decent if you lost. In that case define "an occasional thing" for me in terms of duration? :-)
    Posted by peter27
    Occasional is probably the wrong word- all that matters is that your bankroll can cope with it. In general I would think you want to be taking shots at the next level up too rather than much bigger buy ins...

As an example, you might want to follow a 40 Buy in rule, and have £40, so should be playing £1 tourneys. But if you binked £20 in a tourney you should probably use that £20 to take a 10' buy in shot at £2 games- but if there is a £10 tourney we have always wanted to play, we might play that instead of 5 of the £2 buy ins.

I think this kind of approach is the most likely to stop you going broke as well as give you good chance to move up. 

• edited November 2013
    Oh god, Peter if you only do one thing today or this week, it's ignore that post from Gazza ;)
  • edited November 2013
    Day 42

Quick post today, need to get to sleep!

Played 1 x £25 Guaranteed (result: first player out ..)
    Played 1 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (result: 2nd)
    Played 2 x 50p Turbo DYM's (results: 1st, 2nd)
    Played 2 x £1 Turbo DYM's (results: 2nd, 2nd)
    Played 2 x £2 Turbo DYM's (results: 6th, 3rd)
    Played 1 x £3 DYM (result: 6th)

Clearly I played a lot of DYM's today - was trying the DYM laddering challenge, failed at level four sadly!

Balance now £45.05, will update the first post now :-) Will reply to the messages above tomorrow.
  • edited December 2013
    Day 43

Must apologise for my lack of updates, spent the weekend with my girlfriend so didn't play any poker. Started again today though and had a good day!

Played 4 x £1 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 5th, 1st, 4th, 6th)
    Played 1 x £300 Free Cash FR (result: got knocked out early)
    Played 1 x 10K BH All-In Sat (result: did not qualify)
    Played 1 x £200 DTD 3 (result: 8th out of 123 to take £10.21)

Want to show one hand from the £200 DTD 3, quite pleased with my check on the river hoping to induce a raise, worked great!
    REDSPADES Small blind   20.00 20.00 1925.00
    peter27 Big blind   40.00 60.00 2475.00
      Your hole cards

NumberWon Call   40.00 100.00 3405.00
    jsheldon11 Fold        
    Mylena Fold        
    markob8 Call   40.00 140.00 1735.00
    REDSPADES Call   20.00 160.00 1905.00
    peter27 Check        
    Flop

REDSPADES Check        
    peter27 Check        
    NumberWon Check        
    markob8 Bet   40.00 200.00 1695.00
    REDSPADES Fold        
    peter27 Call   40.00 240.00 2435.00
    NumberWon Call   40.00 280.00 3365.00
    Turn

peter27 Check        
    NumberWon Check        
    markob8 Bet   40.00 320.00 1655.00
    peter27 Call   40.00 360.00 2395.00
    NumberWon Call   40.00 400.00 3325.00
    River

peter27 Check        
    NumberWon Check        
    markob8 All-in   1655.00 2055.00 0.00
    peter27 Call   1655.00 3710.00 740.00
    NumberWon Fold        
    peter27 Show

markob8 Show
    • J

peter27 Win Straight to the 7 3710.00   4450.00
    Balance is now £50.76, will update the first post now! Will also reply to those messages above in the next 10 minutes - sorry for the delay!
  • edited December 2013
    Your fans are waiting:P
  • edited December 2013
    I take the 'ocassional shot' almost on a daily basis.  I seem to do OK, although the swings arent fantastic... If you can afford to deposit, you could start playing higher games still within good BRM?  Just an idea if your fed up grinding the smaller games... You're money and all that...
    Posted by gazza127
    Hmm interesting - but the point is that I don't want to have to re-deposit. I am trying to become a player who withdraws, not deposits :p

In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : Occasional is probably the wrong word- all that matters is that your bankroll can cope with it. In general I would think you want to be taking shots at the next level up too rather than much bigger buy ins... As an example, you might want to follow a 40 Buy in rule, and have £40, so should be playing £1 tourneys. But if you binked £20 in a tourney you should probably use that £20 to take a 10' buy in shot at £2 games- but if there is a £10 tourney we have always wanted to play, we might play that instead of 5 of the £2 buy ins. I think this kind of approach is the most likely to stop you going broke as well as give you good chance to move up. 
    Posted by chicknMelt
    That sounds like a great idea, thank you very much! Will give this a whirl :-)

Oh god, Peter if you only do one thing today or this week, it's ignore that post from Gazza ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Haha, I like having a range of opinions - makes for interesting debate! ;-)

Your fans are waiting:P
    Posted by LARSON7
    Yes, "fans" haha. Saw you got knocked out in the DTD tournament, you were running so well early on too! :-(