You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Diary of a fledgling player

Comments

• edited December 2013
    I thought I was stabilising my bad run, apparently not ..

Day 59 (Wednesday)

Played 3 x £20 Gtd (15 mins) (results: 2nd for £8.47, 7th for £3.20, Knocked Out)

Day 60 (Thursday)

Played 1 x £750 Bounty Hunter (result: 69th with £1.88 head prizes .. was out-drawn)
    Played 1 x UKOPS IX Freeroll (result: 28th/541 - good position, but needed top six!)
    Played 1 x Sky Head Hunter MTT (result: out after about 3 hands, keep getting out-drawn ..)
    Played 1 x Sky Head Hunter STT (result: 5th)
    Played 2 x £5 Turbo DYM's (results: 5th, 5th)
    Played 1 x £5 Double Your Money (result: 1st)
    Played 1 x £2 Turbo DYM (result: 4th)

Balance now £69.58, will update the first post now.

Feeling very down about my poker right now, some words of encouragement or help would be nice to be honest! :-(
  • edited December 2013
    Argh, I'm getting seriously ****ed off right now, every hand I get to showdown is ahead but out-drawn it seems :-(
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player:
    Argh, I'm getting seriously ****ed off right now, every hand I get to showdown is ahead but out-drawn it seems :-(
    Posted by peter27
    I think we can all relate to the ups and downs of this game.

Would you say it's just a bad period of luck that's hitting you, or do you think you're not playing optimally?
  • edited December 2013
    Hi Peter

It doesn't seem like you have dropped down in stakes you are still playing £5 games with a sub £100 BR. This is not good been there done that and never again.

Drop down to £1 and £2 games again until you build back up.

I also said It earlier in your thread DONT play the turbo DYMs as 2 min blinds and 1000 starting stack is really just a gamble.

Regular DYMs are fast enough 5min blinds they are usually over within half an hour. PLUS looking back you are getting better results in the regular speed ones.

I recently used a 40 Buy in rule a month or so ago stricty, I dropped below £120 a few times so I went back to £2 games.

I have now hit the £5 games now and going well.  
  • edited December 2013
    Also I have started writing notes on players so when I meet them again I have a bit of info. Also I look at my Hand histories I little bit more.
  • edited December 2013
    Chin up Peter. My advice to you is practice strict BR management. Over a long period this is by far the best method of looking after and increasing your BR. 

Sounds easy but really try and concentrate on minimising your losses (by not tilting and playing to high buyins) and increase your winnings (by playing more comfortably at managable stakes and when you get a win it makes a more noticable impression on your BR and therefore increase confidence!)

Craig.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : I think we can all relate to the ups and downs of this game. Would you say it's just a bad period of luck that's hitting you, or do you think you're not playing optimally?
    Posted by PokerNoon
    I'm really not sure to be honest. I feel like I'm playing the same as I was when I was rapidly increasing my balance, but I've never been sure if that's good or bad really! That was one of the reasons for me making this diary, but if anything I have become more confused ..

Hi Peter It doesn't seem like you have dropped down in stakes you are still playing £5 games with a sub £100 BR. This is not good been there done that and never again. Drop down to £1 and £2 games again until you build back up. I also said It earlier in your thread DONT play the turbo DYMs as 2 min blinds and 1000 starting stack is really just a gamble. Regular DYMs are fast enough 5min blinds they are usually over within half an hour. PLUS looking back you are getting better results in the regular speed ones. I recently used a 40 Buy in rule a month or so ago stricty, I dropped below £120 a few times so I went back to £2 games. I have now hit the £5 games now and going well.  
    Posted by stuarty117
    I am trying to drop down the levels, but after playing £5 MTT's the low stake DYM's just don't have as much excitement for me now .. :/

As for the Turbo situation, I just prefer quicker games! However while I'm on a bad run, perhaps I should go to less variance games. Thanks for that suggestion :-)

I do regularly make notes and check my hand histories, posting on the poker clinc when required!

Chin up Peter. My advice to you is practice strict BR management. Over a long period this is by far the best method of looking after and increasing your BR.  Sounds easy but really try and concentrate on minimising your losses (by not tilting and playing to high buyins) and increase your winnings (by playing more comfortably at managable stakes and when you get a win it makes a more noticable impression on your BR and therefore increase confidence!) Craig.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    I'll do my best! It is the excitement factor that is lacking when playing low stake DYM's though :-(
  • edited December 2013
    Okay, so my updates have been a little sketchy lately for a number of reasons; I've been pretty busy job hunting and I haven't really been enjoying my poker lately either (because I'm losing!).

Having said that, one breakthrough I did make in the past few days was the ability to multi-table, I'm now two-tabling without any problems! Although this has probably made my losing run even worse.

Anyway, taking on board the suggestions from people earlier, the last two games I played tonight were £2 DYM's (not turbo's like usual) and I cashed in both! Suddenly feeling much better about my prospects.

Here's my full list of play for today:

Day 61

Played 2 x £2 Six-Max (Speed) (results: 4th, 4th)
    Played 1 x £5 Six-Max (Speed) (result: 4th)
    Played 1 x Orfordable D/Stack (result: about 60th-ish, no cash)
    Played 2 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 2nd, 2nd)

Balance now £57.68, will update the first post now.

I did say that I was determined to get back up to £200 by the start of UKOPS - that remains the aim. I am £142.32 away from that target with six days to go (including the first day of UKOPS) so I need to be earning £23.72 per day. A tough ask, but I'm really going to push for it - let's see what the poker gods have in store!
  • edited December 2013
    I worry for anyone who relies, blames or mentions the poker gods.
    If strugging cut tables give every game 100 % concentration and keep it simple.
    Daggers
  • edited December 2013
    I worry for anyone who relies, blames or mentions the poker gods. If strugging cut tables give every game 100 % concentration and keep it simple. Daggers
    Posted by daggers747
    I'm pretty sure Peter only uses the term here in the generic, familiar way that a lot of poker players do. He isn't disengaging his brain and leaving his game up to fate. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what we do, because the gods are in control...
  • edited December 2013
    I worry for anyone who relies, blames or mentions the poker gods. If strugging cut tables give every game 100 % concentration and keep it simple. Daggers
    Posted by daggers747
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : I'm pretty sure Peter only uses the term here in the generic, familiar way that a lot of poker players do. He isn't disengaging his brain and leaving his game up to fate. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what we do, because the gods are in control...
    Posted by Slipwater
    Slip is right. In fact, I'm the most anti-religious person you will probably meet so anything with the term "god" in it means very little for me haha!
  • edited December 2013
    Hi Peter.

I must confess to being a bit of a forum parasite as I always read the posts but never contribute.

I really enjoy your diary because you're playing at a level I can relate to and you're posts are always enthusiastic. Unfortunately I'm not skilled enough to give you any game-play advice but I have a few tips that may help you.

I use 2 accounts (on ipoker network) - 1 is for MTTs and the other for SNG games. If you had this you wouldnt have moved up to £5 SNGs when you won good money in tournaments the other day.

Also I notice that you employ a bankroll strategy of 20x. I think you shuld increase this to about 60x and then you can play at that stake under no pressure, it will take you longer to move up in stake and when that happens you will truly deserve to move up in levels.

I hope your luck turns around this weekend pal, with or without my input :-)
  • edited December 2013
    Hi Peter. I must confess to being a bit of a forum parasite as I always read the posts but never contribute. I really enjoy your diary because you're playing at a level I can relate to and you're posts are always enthusiastic. Unfortunately I'm not skilled enough to give you any game-play advice but I have a few tips that may help you. I use 2 accounts (on ipoker network) - 1 is for MTTs and the other for SNG games. If you had this you wouldnt have moved up to £5 SNGs when you won good money in tournaments the other day. Also I notice that you employ a bankroll strategy of 20x. I think you shuld increase this to about 60x and then you can play at that stake under no pressure, it will take you longer to move up in stake and when that happens you will truly deserve to move up in levels. I hope your luck turns around this weekend pal, with or without my input :-)
    Posted by ff55hh
    It's nice to know that I'm getting more interest than I think! Feel free to post whenever you like, I make sure I reply to everything :-)

That's an interesting idea about having two accounts. I do have an account on another major poker site, but since I discovered the Sky Poker community I haven't played there. To be honest, at this stage I feel like I need to be loyal to the Sky Poker community now! However I have learnt my lesson - when/if I get up to the £200 mark again, I will play more STT's and less MTT's.

As for my BRM, it keeps changing to be honest, depending on how I'm running. Currently I'm playing the £2/£3 level which is 30/20 buy-ins. Perhaps that should be a little higher as you suggested, but if I drop down to the £1 level then I'm never going to hit my £200 target for the start of UKOPS :p

Really appreciate your interest, thanks :-)
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : It's nice to know that I'm getting more interest than I think! Feel free to post whenever you like, I make sure I reply to everything :-) That's an interesting idea about having two accounts. I do have an account on another major poker site, but since I discovered the Sky Poker community I haven't played there. To be honest, at this stage I feel like I need to be loyal to the Sky Poker community now! However I have learnt my lesson - when/if I get up to the £200 mark again, I will play more STT's and less MTT's. As for my BRM, it keeps changing to be honest, depending on how I'm running. Currently I'm playing the £2/£3 level which is 30/20 buy-ins. Perhaps that should be a little higher as you suggested, but if I drop down to the £1 level then I'm never going to hit my £200 target for the start of UKOPS :p Really appreciate your interest, thanks :-)
    Posted by peter27
    How much do you play SNGs or DYMs, Peter?

You might find those more rewarding than the larger MTTs which are pretty high variance even for the best players.

I think when you're learning something (and I'm in the same boat as you here) it's good to say 'I'm going to focus 90% of my efforts into this area'..and then make it your business to get as good as you can in one area.

The remaining 10% of the time you can have fun with cash games, larger MTTs etc as long as you've done your bread and butter. Depends how serious you are about improving fast of course - some people just like to play for fun and that's fine too. But I think it's good to have a plan that says exactly what you're going to do each day, and how you measure success or failure.
  • edited December 2013
    I'm not entirely sure what UKOPS is but I heard it mentioned on the TV show recently.
    I wouldn't make an extra effort to qualify for some promotion they're running, thats what they want you to do after all.

Wouldnt you prefer to play maybe the £1 dups and not have a chance of going broke. If you look on sharkscope theres  a graph of results x stake. This should give yo a decent indication of your 'level'

Also by playing with a more conservative BRM you may or may not increase your £££ as quickly as possible but you will be increasing your confidence and experience levels which are maybe more valuable assets.

Is your other site on the ipoker network, if so I'll send you my username and I'll show you where to find all the Russians. muahahahahaaaa.
  • edited December 2013
    Be careful with this two account business guys. It would not be permitted here on Sky.

Rules vary site-by-site, where it's against the terms of service you risk being kicked off the site and losing your balances.
  • edited December 2013
    I would imagine that he meant he plays on 2 different skins on I-poker
  • edited December 2013
    I would imagine that he meant he plays on 2 different skins on I-poker
    Posted by Jac35
    I agree. Just pointing it out for the benefit of any inexperienced lurkers who may read this thread
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : I agree. Just pointing it out for the benefit of any inexperienced lurkers who may read this thread
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Ah ok, good thinking
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : How much do you play SNGs or DYMs, Peter? You might find those more rewarding than the larger MTTs which are pretty high variance even for the best players. I think when you're learning something (and I'm in the same boat as you here) it's good to say 'I'm going to focus 90% of my efforts into this area'..and then make it your business to get as good as you can in one area. The remaining 10% of the time you can have fun with cash games, larger MTTs etc as long as you've done your bread and butter. Depends how serious you are about improving fast of course - some people just like to play for fun and that's fine too. But I think it's good to have a plan that says exactly what you're going to do each day, and how you measure success or failure.
    Posted by PokerNoon
    I was playing many more STT's when I had a lower BR. As soon as I hit £200, I was playing MTT's on a regular basis, and I now see that was a mistake. STT's should be my regular game with the occasional MTT shot!

I am very serious about improving my game, and I think I have over the course of this diary actually. One thing I am struggling with is actually knowing at what point I can call myself "decent" or "good", perhaps I'm just getting lucky all this time?

I'm not entirely sure what UKOPS is but I heard it mentioned on the TV show recently. I wouldn't make an extra effort to qualify for some promotion they're running, thats what they want you to do after all. Wouldnt you prefer to play maybe the £1 dups and not have a chance of going broke. If you look on sharkscope theres  a graph of results x stake. This should give yo a decent indication of your 'level' Also by playing with a more conservative BRM you may or may not increase your £££ as quickly as possible but you will be increasing your confidence and experience levels which are maybe more valuable assets. Is your other site on the ipoker network, if so I'll send you my username and I'll show you where to find all the Russians. muahahahahaaaa.
    Posted by ff55hh
    UKOPS is the UK Online Poker Series, unique to Sky Poker. Essentially a poker festival with great guarntees for all levels :-)

Yes, I've seen the results x stake section on Sharkscope, my stats aren't brilliant, but they are improving at a decent rate actually :-)

Hmmm, but surely my skill will still improve, even with slightly more aggressive BRM? The thing is that I can afford to reload if required so I don't feel like I'm playing outside my comfort zone.

I'm not sure we're allowed to name other poker sites on here, but it is not the one you mentioned. It is (probably) the biggest poker site there is ;-)

Be careful with this two account business guys. It would not be permitted here on Sky. Rules vary site-by-site, where it's against the terms of service you risk being kicked off the site and losing your balances.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Hmmm, I thought he was talking about two different accounts on two different sites? Surely that's allowed?
  • edited December 2013
    Day 62

A decent day today, I'm back in profit! Dropped down levels and stuck to non-turbo DYM's as suggested to me by responses on this diary - and it seemed to work :-)

Played 2 x £2 Double Your Money (results: 3rd, 2nd)
    Played 6 x £3 Double Your Money (results: 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 4th)

Also played the two UKOPS IX Freeroll's finishing 209th/489 and 131st/421.

Balance is now £65.38, that's £7.70 profit today. It's not the £23.72 I wanted to achieve my UKOPS target, but that's more than likely going to happen suddenly (if at all) with a decent MTT cash (if the bankroll permits) rather than just by playing STT's.

Will update the first post now :-)
  • edited December 2013
    Its fine to play small mtts with 60 quid... just dont go crazy. DYMs are overrated for a casual player building a roll Imo.... will take forever and the rake is punishing at micros. Instead I would play hu where the rake is more sensible, alongside the regular 1 and 2 pound sngs which will also improve your mtt game. 
  • edited December 2013
    Its fine to play small mtts with 60 quid... just dont go crazy. DYMs are overrated for a casual player building a roll Imo.... will take forever and the rake is punishing at micros. Instead I would play hu where the rake is more sensible, alongside the regular 1 and 2 pound sngs which will also improve your mtt game. 
    Posted by jimb0d1
    I will definitely still be playing MTT's as I love them. However I will be limiting the number this time and play more DYM's. You're right about the rake being horrible at this level though! I still manage to make a profit, but very very slowly ..
  • edited December 2013
    Day 63

A small profit today, but a profit nevertheless :-)

Played 7 x £3 Double Your Money (results: 5th, 2nd, 5th, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd)
    Played 1 x Sky Head Hunter (result: 3rd, no heads)

Now up to £68.98, will update the first post now :-)
  • edited December 2013
    Day 64

Didn't play too much today, but I was in profit :-)

Played 3 x £3 Double Your Money (results: 2nd, 3rd, 1st)
    Played 1 x £200 DTD 3 (result: 46th/113, no cash)

Balance is now £74.88, will update the first post now!

Just been looking through my sharkscope stats, and this is my graph for 6-handed games:

Am I right in thinking that the number of 1st places is really good?? It seems good to me anyway!

Also, my "ability" seems to be fluctuating between 54 and 57 lately, does anyone know how this is calculated?
  • edited December 2013
    Day 64 Didn't play too much today, but I was in profit :-) Played 3 x £3 Double Your Money (results: 2nd, 3rd, 1st) Played 1 x £200 DTD 3 (result: 46th/113, no cash) Balance is now £74.88, will update the first post now! Just been looking through my sharkscope stats, and this is my graph for 6-handed games: Am I right in thinking that the number of 1st places is really good?? It seems good to me anyway! Also, my "ability" seems to be fluctuating between 54 and 57 lately, does anyone know how this is calculated?
    Posted by peter27
    There's a FAQ on SS that explains it (well, to a point anyway).

It's based on your win rate and the buy in level of the games you're winning at. So a person who breaks even at $500 SNGs will have a higher ability rating than someone with a winning record at $5.50 level.

Keep up the good work Peter. You'll be a full time pro soon!
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Diary of a fledgling player : There's a FAQ on SS that explains it (well, to a point anyway). It's based on your win rate and the buy in level of the games you're winning at. So a person who breaks even at $500 SNGs will have a higher ability rating than someone with a winning record at $5.50 level. Keep up the good work Peter. You'll be a full time pro soon!
    Posted by PokerNoon
    Thanks for the vote of confidence and the explanation :-) I guess going pro would be the ultimate aim! Would love it :D
  • edited December 2013
    Day 65 (yesterday)

Sticking rigidly to the DYM's, and it's working!

Played 6 x £3 Double Your Money (2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th*, 2nd)

*This 4th marked the end of a 11-game win streak on the DYM's!!

Balance now £85.08, will update the first post now. Planning on a lot of volume today, would hope to be back into triple figures by the end of today :-)
  • edited December 2013
    Enjoying this diary keep up the good work.
  • edited December 2013
    Enjoying this diary keep up the good work.
    Posted by benc
    Thanks! I love receiving supportive comments like this :-)