You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL4 Thread...April 2014... current b/r £74.03 (from £20 deposit)

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat
Happy new Year to you too Dev

Welcome back and GL with your endeavours.
Mick

Comments

• edited April 2014

Hi everyone... 'happy new year'

ok.. so Dev's back...again. 'hooooray / boo'

after a mixed up 2013 year poker-wise, trying to learn to play cash, which ended up 'break-even' money wise,
    I have decided to continue with 'trying' to play cash again this year.
    It would be so easy to revert back to playing DYM's again, where I am in my element & comfort zone, and fairly confident of churning out a small profit, but my dream of being a reasonable and profitable cash player lives on.

so, what next? firstly... 'back to basics'

Hence this nl4 thread which I hope to use to keep a record of my progress and analysis.
    'How long will it last?' that I don't know for sure, could be a week, could be a month, but hopefully the full year.

What will I be doing differently this year to last year? pretty much everything, I think.

I will start off playing nl4 with a starting bankroll of just £8.85(from freeroll winnings)

THE PLAN; stage 1,
     play 1 table only
                     play nl4 only
                     when/if b/r reaches £200 try nl10 (20 buy-ins) (again 1 table only)
                     if b/r drops below £200 return to nl4 again

stage 2, oh  there isn't a stage 2, so will think of that if/when the time comes :)
    stage 2 confirmed..if br reaches £200 will move up to nl 10...TARGET NOW £500
                           continue playing just 1 table
                           to start with play with 1 buy-in only per session---when it's gone it's gone.
                           if br drops to £190... drop to nl4 and win it back.
                           if/when br reaches £250 allow 2 buy-ins per session to play with
                           if/when br reaches £300 fine, now lets play some poker :)
                           continue playing until we reach our target...then onto...
    stage 3, NL20?... to be confirmed...

so that's it...no backing out now...it's in black & white for all to see.
    I hope to give it my best shot..as always.
    but. .should I fail then it's a fail. it's not the end of the world.
    can always find a dym to play, can't I.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST UP YOUR OWN NL4 RESULTS/COMMENTS.
    THIS IS AN 'OPEN TO ALL' THREAD.
    'I don't want it all to be about me'

Best wishes to everyone for 2014.

Dev

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 Thread...January 2014:
    Happy new Year to you too Dev Welcome back and GL with your endeavours. Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks Mick.
     best wishes mate... hope 2014 is good for you.
  • edited January 2014

Good luck Dev!
  • edited January 2014
    ok, so we are 'up & running' so to speak.

results so far;
                         2/1/14 w £1.93  br £10.78
                         3/1/14 w £1.26  br £12.04
                         4/1/14 w  £1.31 br £13.35
    (* *)
       ^

finding 1 table good so far, I'm sure that it's more 'beginners luck' than anything. :)
    certainly helps with reads, etc
    using table selection wisely, trying to avoid the 'regs' at this stage, which I'm sure must be a good thing.
  • edited January 2014
    Good luck Dev!
    Posted by Tikay10
     Thank you TK, much appreciated.

(* *)
       ^
    Dev
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to NL4 Thread...January 2014:
    Hi everyone... 'happy new year' ok.. so Dev's back...again. 'hooooray / boo' after a mixed up 2013 year poker-wise, trying to learn to play cash, which ended up 'break-even' money wise, I have decided to continue with 'trying' to play cash again this year. It would be so easy to revert back to playing DYM's again, where I am in my element & comfort zone, and fairly confident of churning out a small profit, but my dream of being a reasonable and profitable cash player lives on. so, what next? firstly... 'back to basics' Hence this nl4 thread which I hope to use to keep a record of my progress and analysis. 'How long will it last?' that I don't know for sure, could be a week, could be a month, but hopefully the full year. What will I be doing differently this year to last year? pretty much everything, I think. I will start off playing nl4 with a starting bankroll of just £8.85 (from freeroll winnings) THE PLAN; stage 1,  play 1 table only                  play nl4 only                  when/if b/r reaches £200 try nl10 (20 buy-ins) (again 1 table only)                  if b/r drops below £200 return to nl4 again stage 2, oh there isn't a stage 2, so will think of that if/when the time comes :) so that's it...no backing out now...it's in black & white for all to see. I hope to give it my best shot..as always. but. .should I fail then it's a fail. it's not the end of the world. can always find a dym to play, can't I. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST UP YOUR OWN NL4 RESULTS/COMMENTS. THIS IS AN 'OPEN TO ALL' THREAD. 'I don't want it all to be about me' Best wishes to everyone for 2014. Dev                  
    Posted by devonfish5
    You should not move up when you reach £200, you should move up when you are constantly beating the level below. The jump between 4nl 10nl is big. in terms of the size of pots and ability of the players.

Sorry, I will get this in now.

If you get to £200 and move up you will be moving down again within the week, of this I am 99% certain

Play 4nl, play it for a few months, post hands find leaks etc.

I speak from experience.
  • edited January 2014
    Good luck Dev, just remember most players at this level will not be thinking about what other players' could have so its best to go mainly for value (don't be afraid to bet big) rather than bluff a lot. 

Also be aware they will play all sorts of hands you probably would not think of playing. Dohhhhhh and other have written excellent guides for beating this level.

Best of luck.
  • edited January 2014
    good luck dev.

what kinda bankroll you starting with? Is it only £13ish from what I can make out? if it is its always tricky strating so low.
  • edited January 2014
    Good luck Dev, just remember most players at this level will not be thinking about what other players' could have so its best to go mainly for value (don't be afraid to bet big) rather than bluff a lot.  Also be aware they will play all sorts of hands you probably would not think of playing. Dohhhhhh and other have written excellent guides for beating this level. Best of luck.
    Posted by Payney1978
    thank you Payney.

good advice. yeah, I read Dohhh's guide last year when I first started playing cash, which was very helpful.
  • edited January 2014
    good luck dev. what kinda bankroll you starting with? Is it only £13ish from what I can make out? if it is its always tricky strating so low.
    Posted by TINTIN
    Thanks TinTin.

yeah, started with £8.85 in fact. obviously need to run well and play solid shall we say to begin with.
    if I do need to re-load I will, but so far so good.
    another good reason to play just the 1 table :)

gl yourself mate at nl10. hope to be back there again myself someday :)
  • edited January 2014
    Hi again Dev, you used to multi table is there a reason for just playing 1?
     or are you going up if your BR allows.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 Thread...January 2014 : Thanks TinTin. yeah, started with £8.85 in fact. obviously need to run well and play solid shall we say to begin with. if I do need to re-load I will, but so far so good. another good reason to play just the 1 table :) gl yourself mate at nl10. hope to be back there again myself someday :)
    Posted by devonfish5
    cheers mate. just wasn't sure I reads the post right. was gonna say earlier about the timed freerolls at 7pm n 7:15pm. they will be well worth it with with your current balance
  • edited January 2014
    Hi again Dev, you used to multi table is there a reason for just playing 1?  or are you going up if your BR allows.
    Posted by tomo_efc
    Hi tomo,

good question mate. yes the reason I am only playing the 1 table is because of my low b/roll.
    but now that I've played 3 winning sessions in a row i intend sticking with it for as long as possible.
    last year i wasn't able to keep the number of tables under control shall i say, so by playing just the 1 that can't happen again.
    i know as soon as i go to 2 then 4 6 & 8 are waiting just around the corner, and that's partly where it all went wrong for me.
    so in summary; 1 table-1 goal. :)
    it's not going to be easy though but i'll do my best.
    ps; forgot to mention that playing just the 1 table is also great for table selection, by that I mean avoiding the known better regs & finding a table I like the look of, that being one where most players have around the £2-£3 stack or below, for whatever reason.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 Thread...January 2014 : cheers mate. just wasn't sure I reads the post right. was gonna say earlier about the timed freerolls at 7pm n 7:15pm. they will be well worth it with with your current balance
    Posted by TINTIN
    no worries. yeah been playing those freerolls mate, which are great for building your roll.
    i was tempted to play them last night but i managed to resist and kept to my 1 cash table only rule.
    i might play them tonight though and give the cash table a miss. :)

cheers,
    dev
  • edited January 2014
    GL Dev, enjoyed chatting to you in the freeroll this evening.  Be interesting to see how long it takes you to get to £200, and how long you can keep to one table lol.
  • edited January 2014
    Best of luck in this and I hope you don't get any bat beats while you are building your stack up
  • edited January 2014
    best of luck dev

my advice is play  tight    just play premium hands only on this level

bluffing is a no no on this level

get gd hands n bet big :)  full pot bets
  • edited January 2014
    GL Dev, enjoyed chatting to you in the freeroll this evening.  Be interesting to see how long it takes you to get to £200, and how long you can keep to one table lol.
    Posted by lonesome
    cheers mate,
     yeah, likewise, always nice meeting players you know especially in freerolls, where it's very relaxed and basically 'hit & miss' poker.
    could be a while getting to £200 me thinks but luckily I'm in no hurry.
    yes this 1 table playing thing will be an interesting part of the journey. got to keep to it for as long as possible though especially right now with very low margin of error to play with.
    anyone taking bets when the 2nd one is coming? ha ha
  • edited January 2014
    Best of luck in this and I hope you don't get any bat beats while you are building your stack up
    Posted by cenachav
    thanks cenachav,

yeah, that's the only danger at this stage I think.
    still will re-load £20 if needed. :)
  • edited January 2014
    best of luck dev my advice is play  tight    just play premium hands only on this level bluffing is a no no on this level get gd hands n bet big :)  full pot bets
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    thanks Steve,

no worries tight is right as you say.
    just betting 1/2 pot atm just to be safe, but as b/r gets bigger (hopefully) then so will my bet sizing :)

cheers buddy
  • edited January 2014
    no probs pal be lucky :)
  • edited January 2014

sunday 5/1/14  no cash play

2 freerolls  no cash  aipf on 7000 chips with ak v aq  villain hits run on river.  boo

Monday 6/1/14  w £1.06  br £14.41

br going up nice and steadily, 4 wins from 4 so very happy.

going ok in 1st freeroll so fingers crossed might be back laters
    ps; 20.04 
                    freeroll w £2.68  br £17.09  hooray  :)
  • edited January 2014

Why on earth would we check call here? unless villain is on insane monkey tilt of course.

Make your continuation bet and make life easier.

ps, this hand is great reading for other 4nl regs ;)

• edited January 2014

Tuesday  7/1/14

w £1.92    br £19.01

another sweet shortish session b4 7pm & 7.15pm freerolls

played solid again 5 wins in a row ... know it 'ain't going to last 4 ever but enjoying the run while it lasts :)
    betting was better today, just over 1/2 pot some of the time so happy with that.
    also learnt plenty from posting up a QQ hand I had in poker clinic...
    so a big than you to everyone there.
  • edited January 2014

wed  8/1/14

w £3.27  br £22.28

another descent session,, bit longer as my confidence and b/r grows. :)
    played both freerolls along with 1 table... for the 1st time.
    (got a little telling off from clubhammer, :) just reminded me about playing just the 1 table... NOTED MATE  lol

back tomorrow
  • edited January 2014
    Good luck. Will keep an eye on this. Good progress so far. 

Just a note for later. You said you struggled a little once you increased to six or more tables. This little challenge of yours is a perfect oppertunity to find your balance. For me I could play six but it wasn't that enjoyable but once I dropped to four I found that a perfect balance for me. Not getting bored and not getting overwhelmed. 

So, as your BR grows just slowly add tables until you find your level and stay there 
  • edited January 2014
    Good luck with this Dev. Welcome back
  • edited January 2014
    Good luck. Will keep an eye on this. Good progress so far.  Just a note for later. You said you struggled a little once you increased to six or more tables. This little challenge of yours is a perfect oppertunity to find your balance. For me I could play six but it wasn't that enjoyable but once I dropped to four I found that a perfect balance for me. Not getting bored and not getting overwhelmed.  So, as your BR grows just slowly add tables until you find your level and stay there 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    thanks Craig,

the problem/mistake I made last year was not only was I learning how to play cash (still am obviously ), but trying to copy my DYM exploits where I was really really comfortable playing certainly 9-12 tables I would say.
    so deffo NOT going to be doing that again this time.  lol
    think 2 would be no problem even 4 maybe 6 but that's all for the future :)

anyway it's 1 day at a time. enjoying it so far which is important, just hope it continues the way it's going,.
    really happy with it so far as I had no idea how this might work out.
    learning every day which is great, thanks to you guys helping me, so thanks for that.
    perfect example was that QQ hand I posted in poker clinic.

anyway, know doubt i'll come up against you sometime...which will be fun...
    mind you, I'm not going to be 'bum hunting' you  lol

best wishes,
    dev
  • edited January 2014
    Good luck with this Dev. Welcome back
    Posted by spinky6108
    thanks spinky mate,

yeah so far so good...
    hope it carries on 4 ever and ever!!!  lol

(* *)
       ^