You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL4 Thread...April 2014... current b/r £74.03 (from £20 deposit)

Comments

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 Thread...January 2014... current b/r £40.49 target £200:
    Monday 20/1/14 part 2.. 2xnl4  L £2.58  br £37.91 just came back for a quickie at 10pm ... long story short  down £10 or so couldn't go to bed like that , got it back to -£2.50 bed at 3.30 am. not good I know but i'll take it. very up & down session.. again. don't know if I'm playing at my most optimum atm.. results would suggest not. played a lot looser game than normal, which I think , may be the way forwards long term.(judging by some of the rubbish hands that were winning tonight.  ex; my AA v 63  my AA v AJ suited hit flush on river, 2 big allins. made a bad call holding 10 10 and got carried away with them ,losing a buy-in to AA but apart from that reasonably happy how I played. anyway, see what comes today, will it be my old 'tight is right' strategy, or will I continue playing loose and care free and see how that goes? anyway, that's all for now, gl all dev edit, just looking through hh, yes, I had my fair bit of luck on some hands too, so I can't complain too much about those losing hands I've mentioned earlier. but they did seem a little cruel att  :)
    Posted by devonfish5
    Seems to me you're going pretty well Dev.  You started with a BR of £8 and its now hovering around £40 in less than 3 weeks - well done.  If you were down £10 due to coolers and left it for the night you'd be annoyed but be able to rationalise it, maybe also think about if the hands could have been played differently.  Then, if you came back the next day and made £7.50 back again you'd feel very positive.  Given the swings are a part of the game, do you need to worry about the results of any one session so much. 

Also I think for you playing 2 tables is the right thing to do, you're more than capable and one table can be soooo sloooow.  Also, if you are down on one and up on the other it doesn't seem so bad.  And if you're up in both then its happy days.  You can just stop playing when both are up by a good amount and bank the winnings, even if its a short session.  For example if I'm up £10 after half an hour (doesn't happen often lol), I'll stop playing cash and bank that money, then maybe go and play a DYM or some HUs, just for a change.

Are you still playing the cash freerolls?  These seem to be a good source of free cash, or do you want to do this challenge just playing cash tables?

Gl mate and keep the diary going.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 Thread...January 2014... current b/r £40.49 target £200:
    In Response to Re: NL4 Thread...January 2014... current b/r £40.49 target £200 : Seems to me you're going pretty well Dev.  You started with a BR of £8 and its now hovering around £40 in less than 3 weeks - well done.  If you were down £10 due to coolers and left it for the night you'd be annoyed but be able to rationalise it, maybe also think about if the hands could have been played differently.  Then, if you came back the next day and made £7.50 back again you'd feel very positive.  Given the swings are a part of the game, do you need to worry about the results of any one session so much.  Also I think for you playing 2 tables is the right thing to do, you're more than capable and one table can be soooo sloooow.  Also, if you are down on one and up on the other it doesn't seem so bad.  And if you're up in both then its happy days.  You can just stop playing when both are up by a good amount and bank the winnings, even if its a short session.  For example if I'm up £10 after half an hour (doesn't happen often lol), I'll stop playing cash and bank that money, then maybe go and play a DYM or some HUs, just for a change. Are you still playing the cash freerolls?  These seem to be a good source of free cash, or do you want to do this challenge just playing cash tables? Gl mate and keep the diary going.
    Posted by lonesome
    Hi lonesome,

nice post mate.
    yeah u r right mate, I did play a few hands badly if I'm being honest, and playing at 3am isn't something I do very often...these days.  lol
    so I'm sure ur right I'd be better off taking a smallish loss and come back fresh next day.
    mind you I did lose a few biggies when I got horribly outdrawn, which I'm sure you know makes a big difference to the nights end result.
    yeah, I do 'book the win' occasionally when I'm up and not really in the mood, but it's not recommended I know. used to do it playing dym's too.. in the 'good old days'  lol
    yeah, still playing the odd freeroll but getting low on points, so just played the 7.15 to night.. no good.
    already won about £8 this month from freerolls which all helps the br.
    anyway mate, got another winning session to write up now... hooray.
    thanks for posting mate,
    run good,
    dev

• edited January 2014

Tuesday 21/1/14

1xnl4  L £0.04   lol  br £37.83

just a quickie earlier.

2xnl4  W £8.66  br £46.49

hooray at last, a descent session.
    had some nice hands to be fair, which mostly held up, so no complaints today.
    can't believe just how well it's going tbh, almost surprising myself .  he he.
    anyway, a good day today after last nights nightmare, so happy bunny tonight.

thanks to all you guys 'n' gals out there for all the support & good wishes, very much appreciated.

run well everyone,
    dev
  • edited January 2014

Wednesday  22/1/14

1xnl4  W £3.64  br £50.13     c4p £2.63 to come

'booked the win' 1st time this year, just to post up I am 1/4 of the way there.  hooray.
    shouldn't do it I know, but only wanted a short session anyway.

back laters
    dev
  • edited January 2014
    well done mate
    some how got to get the motivation you've got-think I've only played 4/5 sessions this month! and here was I trying to get back into playing more and moving up to nl10!!
    how do you keep it going!?
    (Maybe I should sell the kids - less distractions that way!
    I love them really, honest.)
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 Thread...January 2014... current b/r £50.13 target £200:
    well done mate some how got to get the motivation you've got-think I've only played 4/5 sessions this month! and here was I trying to get back into playing more and moving up to nl10!! how do you keep it going!? (Maybe I should sell the kids - less distractions that way! I love them really, honest.)
    Posted by walesboy
    Ha Ha,

thanks mate,
                        didn't have any motivation last year tbh, probably due to playing so much the year b4...playing all those dym's  .lol
                      don't really know where it's come from if I'm being honest, maybe it's a new year I'm not sure.
    I seem to get these crazy ideas every now 'n then, just like this one ha ha.
     how do I keep it going? easy, I just give myself a realistic target and basically 'go for it'
    once I've come up with a plan I've just got to try and see it through, just as GaryQQQ did with his zero to £1000 challenge.
    it's a question of discipline and wanting to achieve your set goal. anyone can do it if they wanted... even you  lol
    anyway mate, I wish you good luck,
    cheers,
    dev
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 Thread...January 2014... current b/r £50.13 target £200:
    well done mate some how got to get the motivation you've got-think I've only played 4/5 sessions this month! and here was I trying to get back into playing more and moving up to nl10!! how do you keep it going!? (Maybe I should sell the kids - less distractions that way! I love them really, honest.)
    Posted by walesboy
    given this some more thought mate, and i'll give you my best reply;

1st, and probably most important; you have to WANT to move up to nl10...as do I  as it goes.
    if you DON'T WANT IT  bad enough, it 'ain't going to happen.
    once you've then decided you do want it, then it's just a matter of MAKING IT HAPPEN.

so now all you do is make your plan, and carry it out,  1 STEP AT A TIME (which is SO IMPORTANT)

it's like doing a jigsaw puzzle or running a marathon.
    you don't just suddenly get there, it takes time and a fair amount of effort.

so in my case as the example here;
                                                      it's £8 to £200 (which is only stage 1 btw,  stage 2 is £200 to £500 but forget that for now)  lol

so, we have to get that £8 to £10 then £12 which is the tricky bit,(if we fail here, no worries, we just reload £10-£20 and start again) then next it's obviously £16 then £20.
    now it gets easier... £20 to £25 then £30.
    after that it's £40 then £50.. which is where we are now  hooray. a big milestone 1/4 the way there :)
    now it's pretty easy £100  £150 £200  stage 1 complete.

anyway, hope that helps a little in how I go about these little challenges, it was exactly the same for my dym challenge too.
    I'm pretty sure GaryQQQ would follow a similar pattern with his challenges too.(wouldn't you Gary?) :)

best wishes,
    dev

• edited January 2014

Thursday  23/1/14

1xnl4  w £0.76  br £50.89

1xnl4  w £0.88  br £51.77    c4p £2.73 to come

2 sessions, nothing very exciting happened today. played steady abc poker. nice to move on a little after hitting the £50 y'day.
    back tomorrow,
    dev
  • edited January 2014

Friday 24/1/14

freeroll  w £0.97  br £52.74

laters
  • edited January 2014
    Saturday 25/1/14

1xnl4  L £0.68  br £52.06

2xnl4  W £9.01  br £61.07       pts £2.93 to come

played rubbish 1st session, on a time limit as needed to go out, which didn't help.
    2nd session played and ran like a god. only short session, but quit while ahead :)

probably play later tonight, see how it goes,
    gl all,
    dev
  • edited January 2014

Saturday  25/1/14

2xnl4  W £4.48  br £65.55    pts £3.06 to come

3rd session of the day. happy how I played, didn't get involved too much with all the maniacs playing tonight, as I know that can be risky, either big wins or big losses.
    also happy playing just the 2 tables, so any thoughts of playing any more are gone atm.
    night all,
    dev
  • edited January 2014
    Good going Dev. It's always nice isn't it when your BR goes up, even in small amounts. Well done so far. 
  • edited January 2014
    good to see your still ticking over nicely and that you've added a second table now. long may it continue for you.

keep it going as momentum seems to be on your side at the minute
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 Thread...January 2014... current b/r £65.55 target £200:
    Good going Dev. It's always nice isn't it when your BR goes up, even in small amounts. Well done so far. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Thanks Craig,

still got a bit to do mate but getting there slowly.

cheers,
    dev
  • edited January 2014
    good to see your still ticking over nicely and that you've added a second table now. long may it continue for you. keep it going as momentum seems to be on your side at the minute
    Posted by TINTIN
    Thanks TINTIN,

nice steady progress so far mate.
    just wondering if I should think about adding a 3rd table?
    I'm happy playing 2 and my reads are mainly good, I know from past experience that adding a 3rd will almost certainly lead to 4  :)... (and my reads would drop, and I would then be 'playing the cards' to a certain extent, I think. )
    hence my reluctance to do so. should I continue with the slowly slowly approach which seems to be working or is it time to take a risk?
    obviously it's only nl4 atm, but I am looking to hopefully continue with this strategy at nl10 when br reaches £200,
    going by my figures so far this month, up around £50 (12 buy-ins) (which I am happy with), if I got a similar return at nl10 playing 2 tables, (if mind :) would 12 buy-ins or just over say maybe 15  lol, be a good starting point, do you think?

cheers mate,
    dev
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 Thread...January 2014... current b/r £65.55 target £200 : Thanks TINTIN, nice steady progress so far mate. just wondering if I should think about adding a 3rd table? I'm happy playing 2 and my reads are mainly good, I know from past experience that adding a 3rd will almost certainly lead to 4  :)... (and my reads would drop, and I would then be 'playing the cards' to a certain extent, I think. ) hence my reluctance to do so. should I continue with the slowly slowly approach which seems to be working or is it time to take a risk? obviously it's only nl4 atm, but I am looking to hopefully continue with this strategy at nl10 when br reaches £200, going by my figures so far this month, up around £50 (12 buy-ins) (which I am happy with), if I got a similar return at nl10 playing 2 tables, (if mind :) would 12 buy-ins or just over say maybe 15  lol, be a good starting point, do you think? cheers mate, dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    I'd just stick to current plan for now. I wouldn't go adding more at the minute as its working well for you just now.

I'd have a future figure in mind where I would look to add another table but its easy to then get carried away and add another then another. you'd have to be really disciplined not to fall into this and so far your showing good discipline doing what your doing at the minute.

my fear of adding another table at the minute would be having a bad session. I know its not great to think like that but I feel you've got to be weary of possible situations and have an idea of how you would cope should some badness arise. all it would take was a 4 buyin losing session across 3 tables to drop you back to the £50 mark and then you might feel under a bit of pressure, you might then be reluctant to drop the 3rd table and so on. I know its kinda worst case.

slowly slowly is working for you at the minute that's why I would be reluctant to waver just now. 12 buyins may not sound a lot overall but if you were convert the number of hands played and work out a rough bb/100 hands I reckon it wouldn't be too shabby.

personally I would work towards the £80 mark giving 20 buyins before adding another table, then have another figure in mind for adding a 4th. jst my opinion mind. good luck mate
  • edited January 2014

Thanks TINTIN,

just needed to have it confirmed I think.

thanks mate,
    dev
  • edited January 2014

Sunday  26/1/14   no cash in freeroll

Monday  27/1/14  w £2.11 freeroll  br £67.66
  • edited January 2014

Tuesday  28/1/14

played 7.15pm freeroll  w £2.74   br £70.40

think i'll just continue playing freerolls for the time being  :)
  • edited January 2014
    Well done, its always good to break barriers. Thats a key concept in any challange you set. You cant think of the end goal, just break it down into segments and concentrate on reaching each step, one at a time.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 Thread...January 2014... current b/r £70.40 target £200:
    Well done, its always good to break barriers. Thats a key concept in any challange you set. You cant think of the end goal, just break it down into segments and concentrate on reaching each step, one at a time.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    cheers Craig,

yes each time I go up £10 feels great. the next big barrier is making £100 I think.
    I'm in no hurry though. haven't played cash last 3 days as each time I was about to sit in and play on a table I liked the look of, someone else would  nab the seat.  he he. guess i'll have to be quicker in my decision making if I want to play in future. still if I'm not playing at least I can't lose.
     freerolls are going well atm, so I'm happy playing them :)

• edited January 2014

Wednesday  29/1/14

freeroll  no cash

1xnl4
    1x5p/5p action table
    1xnl10 (capped table)  W £3.00   br £73.40   pts money to come £3.38

deviated away from nl4 for the 1st time.
    why?
    getting nowhere tonight playing 1xnl4 so having never played action tables before, liked the look of it, so gave it a try.
    then thought 'what the hell' lets have a bit of fun, so loaded up nl10 capped table.
    started badly, went £7-£8 down, made one bad call with 99 and lost an all-in.
    kept cool though, didn't panic and eventually picked up some hands and clawed it back.
    nice to finish the session with a small win.

not sure if this will become my new games, will have to wait and see, I guess.
    the plan is to move up to nl10 proper once br reaches £200 so maybe this could be my next step.
    anyway, that's all for now,
    dev

• edited January 2014
    Wednesday  29/1/14 freeroll  no cash 1xnl4 1x5p/5p action table 1xnl10 (capped table)  W £3.00   br £73.40   pts money to come £3.38 deviated away from nl4 for the 1st time. why? getting nowhere tonight playing 1xnl4 so having never played action tables before, liked the look of it, so gave it a try. then thought 'what the hell' lets have a bit of fun, so loaded up nl10 capped table. started badly, went £7-£8 down, made one bad call with 99 and lost an all-in. kept cool though, didn't panic and eventually picked up some hands and clawed it back. nice to finish the session with a small win. not sure if this will become my new games, will have to wait and see, I guess. the plan is to move up to nl10 proper once br reaches £200 so maybe this could be my next step. anyway, that's all for now, dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Youve been doing very well winning bits at a time devon my friend but dont let all of these small wins put you on positive tilt and make you stray from the path you had set yourself.

Stick to your goal and keep building at 4nl until you hit your target because it only takes a few cooler hands or badbeats at 10nl to undo all of your good work.

Good luck at the tables.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 Thread...January 2014... current b/r £70.40 target £200 : Youve been doing very well winning bits at a time devon my friend but dont let all of these small wins put you on positive tilt and make you stray from the path you had set yourself. Stick to your goal and keep building at 4nl until you hit your target because it only takes a few cooler hands or badbeats at 10nl to undo all of your good work. Good luck at the tables.
    Posted by Diminuendo
    +1!!!!!

Honestly, you are doing really well. I would hate to see it all go. Not saying you can't win but from someone who is doing there own challenge it's heart breaking if as said you run KK into AA or get a few cooler hands and a huge % of your BR is gone. 

Your plan is a good one. I urge you to stick to it. Play more 4nl tables first rather than move up stakes. 

Good luck. 
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 Thread...January 2014... current b/r £70.40 target £200 : Youve been doing very well winning bits at a time devon my friend but dont let all of these small wins put you on positive tilt and make you stray from the path you had set yourself. Stick to your goal and keep building at 4nl until you hit your target because it only takes a few cooler hands or badbeats at 10nl to undo all of your good work. Good luck at the tables.
    Posted by Diminuendo
    thanks Diminuendo,

it was a capped nl10 table which meant starting with £6 and a max all-in of £3, which isn't a lot different to nl4.
    think you may have missed that mate.
    there's no way I'd play a full nl10 table with my current br...
    I know we're silly down in Devon...but we're not that silly!!!  he he.

advice taken though mate.
    cheers,
    dev
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: NL4 Thread...January 2014... current b/r £70.40 target £200 : +1!!!!! Honestly, you are doing really well. I would hate to see it all go. Not saying you can't win but from someone who is doing there own challenge it's heart breaking if as said you run KK into AA or get a few cooler hands and a huge % of your BR is gone.  Your plan is a good one. I urge you to stick to it. Play more 4nl tables first rather than move up stakes.  Good luck. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    cheers Craig,

will be moving up to full nl10 table at £200,
    might give 5p/5p action tables another go later. didn't find them much different to nl4 tbh.
    anyway, I'm playing with ';free money' as it's all been won from nothing, so I don't feel under any pressure with this challenge.
    i'll get to my goal at some point, then the 'real poker' begins.
    thanks for the friendly advice mate.
    gl,
    dev
  • edited January 2014

Thursday  30/1/14

1xnl4
    1x5p/5p action table

W £5.86     br £79.26    £3.76 pts to come

hard session, went down early doors, but was determined to grind it back, which I thankfully did.
    I know the swings are going to be slightly bigger playing action table, but that goes both ways, so am prepared for it if/when it happens.
    anyway, another nice little win, so can't complain,
    might be back later, see how I feel.
    gl all,
    dev
  • edited February 2014

Friday 31/1/14

2xnl4

L £9.42  br £69.84   £3.76 pts to come

bad result tonight but played ok tbh. horrible run of the cards. not going to bore you with details, you all know the score.
    shame it's come on last day of the month.

anyway, good result overall I think gone from £8.85 to £69.84  which is a profit of £60.99 I make it for January.
    more of the same next month would be nice.
    shown good discipline I think. only played 3 tables maybe once or twice all month.
    it's going to take probably another 2 months or more, I would think to reach my £200 target, especially playing 2 tables most of the time, but as I'm in no hurry to get there,  it doesn't really matter too much.

anyway, bed time... feeling a bit 'cream crackered  :)
    night all
    dev'

edit; been through hh nothing wrong as far as I can see. lost 1 allin with 2nd nut run, lost AA to q 10 2pr KK the same, after making big bets p/f. and c betting

another edit; forgot to mention, made more money this month from playing cash than the whole of last year playing cash.  he he.
  • edited February 2014
    Great month Dev

Well batted sir
  • edited February 2014
    Nice going Dev - Still as consistent as ever