You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Build A Bankroll Thread

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Yuck.

Finished 54th in the mini.

And just 15 off the money in the main.

Close to cashing in both, but not close enough!

Now in my first break in the £1K BH in 51st place out of 81.
  • edited October 2014
    Greetings all.

So, I'm already signed up for tonight's main and mini- the two rebuys.

My general record in this every week is to come close to the money spots in the main and to either do the same or just nudge into the money spots in the mini.

I did pick up a final table earlier this year in the mini, but I'm still waiting for that major cash that will make it all better again.

The title of this thread 'Build A Bankroll' is beginnning to look more than a little non-descriptive! "Orford- giving it a go, as best he can" would perhaps be more appropriate...

Any general tips, from those who have been through the same stage and come out the other side to start cashing bigger, would be much appreciated!

Personally, I think I'm playing way too tight in the first half of the tournament- thereby almost ensuring I'm still there by the time the money spots are looming, but on a tiny stack and hoping to get a few double-ups.

In other news- I'm halfway through recording the commentary for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC with Sam Grafton. It's terrific fun, Sam is a joy to work with and is brilliant on the show and the hands we've got for you are wall-to-wall brilliant. (Kudos to Sky Dan for putting it all together). In short, you're in for a treat when it starts airing on Sky Sports soon and later on Sky Poker.

Each show had two and half hours of usuable good hands originally which were then whittled down to about 45 minutes' worth of the absolute best. So, it's gonna be gold!

Hope to see you all on the tables again tonight...especially if they're final tables. ;-)

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: The Build A Bankroll Thread:
    Greetings all. So, I'm already signed up for tonight's main and mini- the two rebuys. My general record in this every week is to come close to the money spots in the main and to either do the same or just nudge into the money spots in the mini. I did pick up a final table earlier this year in the mini, but I'm still waiting for that major cash that will make it all better again. The title of this thread 'Build A Bankroll' is beginnning to look more than a little non-descriptive! "Orford- giving it a go, as best he can" would perhaps be more appropriate... Any general tips, from those who have been through the same stage and come out the other side to start cashing bigger, would be much appreciated! Personally, I think I'm playing way too tight in the first half of the tournament- thereby almost ensuring I'm still there by the time the money spots are looming, but on a tiny stack and hoping to get a few double-ups. In other news- I'm halfway through recording the commentary for the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC with Sam Grafton. It's terrific fun, Sam is a joy to work with and is brilliant on the show and the hands we've got for you are wall-to-wall brilliant. (Kudos to Sky Dan for putting it all together). In short, you're in for a treat when it starts airing on Sky Sports soon and later on Sky Poker. Each show had two and half hours of usuable good hands originally which were then whittled down to about 45 minutes' worth of the absolute best. So, it's gonna be gold! Hope to see you all on the tables again tonight...especially if they're final tables. ;-)
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    If I were you, I'd give up.

PS - Love you.

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: The Build A Bankroll Thread : If I were you, I'd give up. PS - Love you.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Since my style of play has been much influenced by yours over the years, I firmly blame you.

You will therefore be receiving a financial statement from me shortly detailing all my losses over the years and expecting you to renumerate me for them.

As you can imagine, the list is long. I suggest you give your bank manager a courtesy call to warn him there's unpleasant business ahead...
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: The Build A Bankroll Thread : Since my style of play has been much influenced by yours over the years, I firmly blame you. You will therefore be receiving a financial statement from me shortly detailing all my losses over the years and expecting you to renumerate me for them. As you can imagine, the list is long. I suggest you give your bank manager a courtesy call to warn him there's unpleasant business ahead...
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    I've taken preventive action & filed for bankruptcy Rich. Seemed prudent.

You ever play PLO8 DYM's? You'd be very welcome, you know......

• edited October 2014
    i hope you are rebuying immediately you start Rich, 
    seem to remeber that not doing so was one of your leaks when you started this.
  • edited October 2014

I think it is despicable that Tikay is throwing cold water over predicament.

I shall, however, treat your problem with the utmost respect.

Here are my top three tips on improving your MTT results....

1) Change your name to Mattbates
    2) Change your name to TommyD
    3) Stick to the 2.20@2.20 and understand your level.

There will be no charge for this advice as seen as you are struggling.

On a serious note, check out the Tournament Strategy section of the forum....lots of good advice in there. 

I hope you turn it around soon mate.....and if I CAN WIN a main, there is every hope for you. GOOD LUCK....go and win that jackpot to shut all the doubters up!!
  • edited October 2014
    i hope you are rebuying immediately you start Rich,  seem to remeber that not doing so was one of your leaks when you started this.
    Posted by GELDY
    Sound advice Geldy. And I have been doing that recently.

Never found out as I always buy when I've already put chips in the middle, but can you rebuy with the full starting stack in front of you e.g. 2000, or does it have to be less, no matter how small e.g. 1990?
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: The Build A Bankroll Thread : I've taken preventive action & filed for bankruptcy Rich. Seemed prudent. You ever play PLO8 DYM's? You'd be very welcome, you know......  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Oh, I've got those well and truly cracked.

Never fold pre-flop and keep calling till your awful hand becomes a monster.

Only go to showdown with sets or above. Ideally a house or better.

Think I've summed up basic PLO8 strategy there, right?

;-)
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: The Build A Bankroll Thread : Sound advice Geldy. And I have been doing that recently. Never found out as I always buy when I've already put chips in the middle, but can you rebuy with the full starting stack in front of you e.g. 2000, or does it have to be less, no matter how small e.g. 1990?
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    good question

seems to let me some of the time but not others!
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: The Build A Bankroll Thread : Oh, I've got those well and truly cracked. Never fold pre-flop and keep calling till your awful hand becomes a monster. Only go to showdown with sets or above. Ideally a house or better. Think I've basically summed up basic PLO8 strategy there, right? ;-)
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Err, yup, you've got it.

Look forward to you joining us for a night. Or two, if your bankroll survives night one.
  • edited October 2014
    I think it is despicable that Tikay is throwing cold water over predicament. I shall, however, treat your problem with the utmost respect. Here are my top three tips on improving your MTT results.... 1) Change your name to Mattbates 2) Change your name to TommyD 3) Stick to the 2.20@2.20 and understand your level. There will be no charge for this advice as seen as you are struggling. On a serious note, check out the Tournament Strategy section of the forum....lots of good advice in there.  I hope you turn it around soon mate.....and if I CAN WIN a main, there is every hope for you. GOOD LUCK....go and win that jackpot to shut all the doubters up!!
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Thanks Alan.

In reply to your three pieces of advice...

1) There's a slight height difference between me and Matt Bates (3m) and so I don't think assuming his identity is going to work.

2) I would become Tommy D, but I'd like to be perceived more as a skilful player than an out-and-out luckbox.

3) They won't let me back in on the £2.20 level. I'm known as the Phil Ivey of 2.20 and nobody will play me.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: The Build A Bankroll Thread : Thanks Alan. In reply to your three pieces of advice... 1) There's a slight height difference between me and Matt Bates (3m) and so I don't think assuming his identity is going to work. 2) I would become Tommy D, but I'd like to be perceived more as a skilful player than an out-and-out luckbox. 3) They won't let me back in on the £2.20 level. I'm known as the Phil Ivey of 2.20 and nobody will play me.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    You cheated as well?
  • edited October 2014
    . 3) They won't let me back in on the £2.20 level. I'm known as the Phil Ivey of 2.20 and nobody will play me.
    Posted by RICHORFORD

You mean they have now found out you were obviously cheating when you won it, that once. Shocking admission of guilt that! Do you keep up on current affairs?...lol.

• edited October 2014
    GL tonight Rich! x
  • edited October 2014
    GL tonight Rich! x
    Posted by mrsduck
    Thanks Mrs D! You too!
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: The Build A Bankroll Thread : You cheated as well?
    Posted by Slipwater
    Yeah, bad example that.

Ok, ok. The Howard Lederer of poker then.

Better?
  • edited October 2014
    The final 100 of the rebuys week in week out are likely to have the same faces appearing on the tables, do you make notes Rich? Obvious statement but just for thought.
  • edited October 2014
    The final 100 of the rebuys week in week out are likely to have the same faces appearing on the tables, do you make notes Rich? Obvious statement but just for thought.
    Posted by Matt237
    I do Matt. But not very often and not very detailed. Yes, good point- I'll try and address that tonight.
  • edited October 2014
    found your problem rich
    not enough added value
    so i've entered tonight
    enjoy
  • edited October 2014
    and after 10 mins i'm 1/190
    have to enjoy it as we know it won't last
  • edited October 2014
    fancy a last longer rich?
    you win and i'll never support tikay over you
    for a while
  • edited October 2014
    PS it's called multi-tasking
    playing poker and typing on the forum
  • edited October 2014
  • edited October 2014
    PS it's called multi-tasking playing poker and typing on the forum
    Posted by GELDY

Lol- welcome to my world.

Still first? Good start though, even if you're not!
  • edited October 2014
    Gl Rich
    Posted by day4eire76
    Thankyou sir. 

Please don't take too many of my chips off me, being as you're sat next to me in the Mini!
  • edited October 2014
    Second break...

2/150 in the main!

Er, 100/116 in the mini...

Hey, how about that 2nd in the main though?

To be fair, the cards have been smacking me in the face for the past 20 minutes- QQ, QQ, JJ, KK, AA...not, I hasten to add, consecutively but you get the picture.

One of those hands though left me crippled, another took me within a whisker of going out the game. So these premium hands are not all they're cracked up to be sometimes.

Anyway, I assume normal raggy card service will be resumed after the break.

Good luck to all who still sail in her!
  • edited October 2014
    GL RICH, MY CHARMED LUCK I SEND YOU :):):) LUV PAIGE55 XXX
  • edited October 2014
    Drama in the main and mini tonight!

Took the chip lead in the main aorund 30 mins ago, then had a nightmare hand and lost half my stack. Now climbing back up. Around 12th with 81 players left.

In the mini- I got down to around 10 BBs- the small blind shoved on me, I had AK and snapped him off- he turns over 2-7 and promptly hits 2 pair on the flop.

So, anyway I went down to TWO big blinds.

Not good, right?

Well since then, I've managed to claw my way back up  to 13 big blinds. So the comeback is on! Kind of...

73rd/76 in that one.
  • edited October 2014
    GL RICH, MY CHARMED LUCK I SEND YOU :):):) LUV PAIGE55 XXX
    Posted by paige55
    Thankyou Paige!