You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!
Options

ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2014
    JC

Question

I have been playing about with the idea of creating action in a three way pot by inflating the pot pre knowing I am folding the flop to induce the other two oppo to go at it on the flop

Is this something you have come across in your time playing DYM's 

I am finding it very enjoyable if only for my own benefit at low stakes :D

• Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR:
    JC  Question I have been playing about with the idea of creating action in a three way pot by inflating the pot pre knowing I am folding the flop to induce the other two oppo to go at it on the flop Is this something you have come across in your time playing DYM's  I am finding it very enjoyable if only for my own benefit at low stakes :D
    Posted by rancid
    I used to do that in the £1.15s all the time lol, but that was mainly for fun I don't know if it's profitable.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    @ MP33:

I think you played the AKs and the A3s both pretty much perfectly. With the AKs there's not a lot you can do there. You can flat as your in position and hope he bets again on the river but you risk a 4th spade coming and killing your action. While click-raising may appear to telegraph your hand to some extent I still think it's the percentage play overall in that spot. With the A3s on the button I'm shipping all day long in that spot.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    JC  Question I have been playing about with the idea of creating action in a three way pot by inflating the pot pre knowing I am folding the flop to induce the other two oppo to go at it on the flop Is this something you have come across in your time playing DYM's  I am finding it very enjoyable if only for my own benefit at low stakes :D
    Posted by rancid
    Hi rancid. Interesting question, not something I've ever tried but it has crossed my mind in the past. Only briefly though to be honest. I can't imagine, really, that you have enough chips in a DYM to 'use' any like this. If you're enjoying it though . . . ;-)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Ok, best do a quick update while I've got 10 minutes spare. Had an up and down day Saturday and was happy to end up still 'rolled for the £5.50s:

Played 24 £5.50s W 11 L 13
    Played 21 £3.30s W 15 L 6
    Bankroll - £117.22

Noted down 2 hands to illustrate 'DYM Mindset'. MP33 has also posted a good one above, folding AA pre-flop. The first hand below, the guy makes a horrible min-raise pre. My options as I see them are to 3 bet or call and set-mine in a multi-way pot. I elect to set-mine as I often will in this spot, very suspicious of the min raise after limpers. After what looks like a dream flop I'm still aware of my pre-flop decision that I was playing the 10-10 for set-mining value only. Also the size of the c-bet makes it look like if I'm playing, I'm playing for stacks and there are also active opponents behind me. I think in the long run, if I go with my 10-10 here, I stack off too often vs higher pairs for the play to be profitable in DYMs.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    xxxSmall blind  25.00 25.00 2680.00
    JohnConnor Big blind  50.00 75.00 1925.00
     Your hole cards

sabrett11 Call  50.00 125.00 1605.00
    jromega1 Call  50.00 175.00 1550.00
    4evergas Fold     
    xxxRaise  75.00 250.00 2605.00
    JohnConnor Call  50.00 300.00 1875.00
    sabrett11 Call  50.00 350.00 1555.00
    jromega1 Call  50.00 400.00 1500.00
    Flop

xxxBet  400.00 800.00 2205.00
    JohnConnor Fold     
    sabrett11 Fold     
    jromega1 Raise  800.00 1600.00 700.00
    xxxFold     
    jromega1 Muck     
    jromega1 Win  1200.00  1900.00
    jromega1 Return  400.00 0.00 2300.00
    In the second hand is a spot where I really think the villain should be open-folding his Aces. goddy in the big blind has 390 chips left, has been away all game and is about to be blinded out for sure. I could well afford to lose the chips and elected to have some fun (DYMs can get boring - shock!). Anyway, I learnt the hard way to open fold AA when someone's about to get blinded out so I see it as a duty to inform others :-) The villain in this hand reduced his chances of cashing from 100% (my opinion) to 88%, not ideal:
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    stikman220 Small blind  150.00 150.00 2800.00
    JohnConnor Big blind  300.00 450.00 6025.00
     Your hole cards

goddy1991 Fold     
    xxx Raise  600.00 1050.00 1735.00
    stikman220 Fold     
    JohnConnor All-in  6025.00 7075.00 0.00
    xxx All-in  1735.00 8810.00 0.00
    JohnConnor Unmatched bet  3990.00 4820.00 3990.00
    JohnConnor Show

xxx Show
    • A
    • A

Flop

Turn

River

xxx Win Two Pairs, Aces and 9s 4820.00  4820.00

• Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : What I meant was, I have been playing mostly cash lately and not keeping track of it, I think It was actually £243.50 or something, but as I wasn't sure said £242 as that is the BR needed for the £11s But anyway, won 8 of 9 tonight. so that's £61 profit DYM BR: £324
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Won 4 lost 5, DYM BR=£305

Really hope I can stay at this level, the poker points come in nice and fast!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    A great read, thanks for the tips JC :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Had a bit of a golden run recently - Also have been helped by Sky they gave me a £5 for my birthday, and a free £5 bet which I spent on playing Black Jack and won a few quid etc. 

Have moved up to £2.25s
    BR £52.92

Loving the DYMS
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Good luck JC in tonights UKops event!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thanks Stretch! Will try my best, going to try and read some PLO strategy during the early levels lol.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thanks Stretch! Will try my best, going to try and read some PLO strategy during the early levels lol.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    I noticed you musta been disconx? Blinded out and still managed 23rd! Very UL m8!
    pad
    p.s. I'm still pondering the "villain with the AA" hand ya posted?? I think it's a test you've set us ? I'll re-read/study it in morning as I'm whacked! Great bloggage ftw!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : I noticed you musta been disconx? Blinded out and still managed 23rd! Very UL m8! pad p.s. I'm still pondering the "villain with the AA" hand ya posted?? I think it's a test you've set us ? I'll re-read/study it in morning as I'm whacked! Great bloggage ftw!
    Posted by Glenelg
    The villain with the AA hand is pretty straight forward, there is a guy on the table with just ove 1BB and they're on the bubble so there's absolutely no need to risk getting your AA outdrawn by say 10-2off, just fold it and let the short stack get knocked out.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Posted by JohnConnor
    What happened JC? You had a nice stack and then you were away, I guess you blinded out in the end?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hi guys, yeah I got disconnected last night and ended up blinding out. I was absolutely gutted last night as I was playing reasonably well, above average stack and above all really enjoying the game. A decent cash in a good PLO tournament like that would have been a great achievement for me. Also, with the decent buy-in (invested £110 in rebuy + add-on) and pay outs on offer I felt a bit sick at the time but I'm coming round a bit now. I've already resigned myself to the fact that my internet is shocking and that's why I don't/can't play full-time anymore. I'll be getting a new one when I move out of this house. Just hope I don't get a repeat tonight in event 3 or on Sunday in the main.

Also, hoping to play some DYMs tomorrow as Thurday is my day off work now so hopefully there'll be an update then. Run well everyone!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    JC how long were you disconnected for mate ?

have you contacted CC and explained see if they can do something for you as it seems you must have been disco'd for a fair while
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    JC how long were you disconnected for mate ? have you contacted CC and explained see if they can do something for you as it seems you must have been disco'd for a fair while
    Posted by delaney09
    Hi delaney, my connection went off just before the 2nd break at 10pm but was off all night, still off this morning when I went to work. I've been through it with Sky before they were really helpful but it's nothing at their end as far as anyone can tell, think it's just my ISP tbh.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Hi delaney, my connection went off just before the 2nd break at 10pm but was off all night, still off this morning when I went to work. I've been through it with Sky before they were really helpful but it's nothing at their end as far as anyone can tell, think it's just my ISP tbh.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Sorry to hear this John, Good luck again tonight mate!  Love the fact you are multitabling 6 £5.50 tables, and playing in £10k guaranteed tournie, I struggle juggling two windows lol.

Go JC!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    John, I know what its like to get disconnected. I had problems with mine - 'take the plate off, connect to the test socket, reduce the length of the wire to your wireless box, switch the box off and back on (yes, they really do say switch it off and back on!) etc, etc'.

If your connection drops, try ringing your house number. If the connection picks up then that indicates a high resistance fault - basically a a bad connection joint in the line between you and the exchange. Ringing your house number sends a current down the line and bridges the gap.

That's what was wrong with mine. Apparently it's quite a common problem especially on old copper lines. Eventually I got a BT engineer out - BT are ultimately responsible for the line even if you pay line rental to Sky - and he was brilliant. He replaced the box where the line comes in to the house and checked all the joints back to the exhange. The result is a rock solid connection that's now as fast as the line can take.

Keep complaining and get it sorted - we need you on the tables!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    John, I know what its like to get disconnected. I had problems with mine - 'take the plate off, connect to the test socket, reduce the length of the wire to your wireless box, switch the box off and back on (yes, they really do say switch it off and back on!) etc, etc'. If your connection drops, try ringing your house number. If the connection picks up then that indicates a high resistance fault - basically a a bad connection joint in the line between you and the exchange. Ringing your house number sends a current down the line and bridges the gap. That's what was wrong with mine. Apparently it's quite a common problem especially on old copper lines. Eventually I got a BT engineer out - BT are ultimately responsible for the line even if you pay line rental to Sky - and he was brilliant. He replaced the box where the line comes in to the house and checked all the joints back to the exhange. The result is a rock solid connection that's now as fast as the line can take. Keep complaining and get it sorted - we need you on the tables!
    Posted by Doubleblow
    Hi there Doubleblow, thanks for the tip, I've never heard that one before. I am on cable/fibre optic at the moment though, so it wouldn't still apply, would it?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hi stretch, I have to admit I was out of the UKOPS event when I started with the DYMs (yes, I did squander 8,000 chips in half an hour I played that horribly, lol). I wasn't in the right frame of mind going into the UKOPS at all, far too tired, which meant I didn't have my usual patience.

Anyway, felt OK to play some DYMs and played well enough overall. Ran really badly, though. I'm definately due some run bad but it all seems to be coming in the £5.50s at the moment :-(. So it's back down to the £3.30s (again!) for me for a little while...

Played 18 £5.50s W 7 L 11 (also paid £15 C4P since last update)
    Bankroll - £103.22
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Almost forgot, targets for November:

- Move upto £11 DYMs (so BR of £220)
    - 3,000 Poker Points
    - Top 30 League Position (target of being in the top 4 by the end of Dec looks a little unlikely but we will see)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Sorry to hear about the OPS JC, I didn't actually realise you were out when I made above comment.  Sorry to hear that you ran badly last night. I ran pretty badly tonight as well played 12 Won 5 Lost 7.  I lost 5 in a row, however they all went on freakishly long.  I think I have a leak in my game and I was wandering if you had the answer.

If there are still 5+ runners post level 7-8 and you are all on equalish chip stacks what is the best thing to do?  I tend to continue to play tight and hope for others to make mistakes, however I believe I ran into a group of players who did exactly the same.  Some levels we played you could go from being 2nd to 5th on one orbit of blinds.  Because we were all equal I was reluctant to shove with anything as I thought someone else would first.  

Anyway good luck with your target.

I am aiming to move upto £5.50s 
    1000 Poker Points
    On the first page of the STT League Table

• Options
    edited February 2014
    +1   sorry to hear about your discconection issues . I,m sure you won,t let it get to you . Theres nothing you can do about it at the end of tha day

Cheers for the advice on my previous posts ( and to teh others )

Havent played any DYM,s on here tonight as i was just railing  the UKOPS but it seems very hard to get a game after 2 am so i sometimes play $10 DYM,s with 10 players and using a HUD

Any advice on the differences between 6 and 10 players ( same blinds )  ?

Cheers

MP

Ps - Played a few sats on here and some NL4 and managed to get BR back to over £100 but still waiting for a propper run and a few DYM sessions togethor
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    im having a go at mainly dym this month to see how i get on, ive started properly today and so far ive had 23 games and 16 wins. so far so good. problem ive had in the past is i win a couple then go up a level lose then have to start again, this time im sticking to just 3.30 games until i reach the 100 mark then start on the 5 quid games although i should really be playing the 2.20 but i dont have the patience to play that low.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Sorry to hear about the OPS JC, I didn't actually realise you were out when I made above comment.  Sorry to hear that you ran badly last night. I ran pretty badly tonight as well played 12 Won 5 Lost 7.  I lost 5 in a row, however they all went on freakishly long.  I think I have a leak in my game and I was wandering if you had the answer.If there are still 5+ runners post level 7-8 and you are all on equalish chip stacks what is the best thing to do? I tend to continue to play tight and hope for others to make mistakes, however I believe I ran into a group of players who did exactly the same.  Some levels we played you could go from being 2nd to 5th on one orbit of blinds.  Because we were all equal I was reluctant to shove with anything as I thought someone else would first.   Anyway good luck with your target. I am aiming to move upto £5.50s  1000 Poker Points On the first page of the STT League Table
    Posted by stretch83
    Cheers stretch.

The games you're referring to, particularly where there are 6 players left are the toughest kind and my least favourite. Unfortunately, there's not that much you can do to be honest. Because there are more people to shove through (and this has a hugeimpact on shoving ranges) you may well have to tighten up, even at the expense of your stack getting smaller than you would like. That's to say, tighten up when shoving junk, don't try and shove it through multiple opponents. There's also the problem of players being more likely to enter pots before you. In these circumstances I think you have to take full advantage of any spots that do present themselves to you, as you'll never be sure when you can be first into the pot again. So I can see there being many spots where I would shove ATC in the small blind. If the blinds are really big compared to stacks, though, actual hands (not junk) will go up in value alot. So I wouldn't be folding any medium pairs or decent aces. I'd be shoving these from any position really, and potentially calling with them as well, depending how short stacks are.

Bit awkward, those spots, so hope the above makes at least some sense.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    +1   sorry to hear about your discconection issues . I,m sure you won,t let it get to you . Theres nothing you can do about it at the end of tha day Cheers for the advice on my previous posts ( and to teh others ) Havent played any DYM,s on here tonight as i was just railing  the UKOPS but it seems very hard to get a game after 2 am so i sometimes play $10 DYM,s with 10 players and using a HUD Any advice on the differences between 6 and 10 players ( same blinds )  ? Cheers MP Ps - Played a few sats on here and some NL4 and managed to get BR back to over £100 but still waiting for a propper run and a few DYM sessions togethor
    Posted by MP33
    Cheers MP33.

I have never played many 10 seater DYMs to be honest so will just answer as best I can. The first thing that comes to mind is that they could be potentially easier (at lower stakes) as there is more room for weaker players. The second thing goes straight against the first and is that, if you mean Stars, I imagine that the $10 are seriously reg infested, to the point where there's probably no value at all. As I put that I remember that DoNs have been replaced by 50/50s or something so maybe you don't mean stars?

Anyway, generally I would think that the main differences would be that you would need to play even tighter 10 handed than six max, particularly early on. Then the middle would play pretty similar I would of thought, with lts of button and cut off steals going on. Then there would be huge differences on the bubble I would suspect and more room for planning. The bubble in 6 max has an orbit of 4 hands whereas 10 handed has 6 hands. So there's more room for you to stay out of the way but also more chance of the blinds going up before your next turn. Just be aware of those factors I would say.

Also, regarding the HUD, don't know what you have at the moment, but spending some time setting that up properly (maybe just an hour or so) should pay dividends. I'm sure you can even copy a winning regs if you go on that large forum. Anyway, the main actual stats should be focused on stealing, both attempts and folds to steals. That's easy enough. The other crucial part is to make sure the filters are set up and working correctly. That's for both no. of BBs and no. of players left. These 2 things dictate STT strategy so it's vital to take them into account.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    im having a go at mainly dym this month to see how i get on, ive started properly today and so far ive had 23 games and 16 wins. so far so good. problem ive had in the past is i win a couple then go up a level lose then have to start again, this time im sticking to just 3.30 games until i reach the 100 mark then start on the 5 quid games although i should really be playing the 2.20 but i dont have the patience to play that low.
    Posted by Dazler
    GL GL GL Dazler!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Cheers MP33. I have never played many 10 seater DYMs to be honest so will just answer as best I can. The first thing that comes to mind is that they could be potentially easier (at lower stakes) as there is more room for weaker players. The second thing goes straight against the first and is that, if you mean Stars, I imagine that the $10 are seriously reg infested, to the point where there's probably no value at all. As I put that I remember that DoNs have been replaced by 50/50s or something so maybe you don't mean stars? Anyway, generally I would think that the main differences would be that you would need to play even tighter 10 handed than six max, particularly early on. Then the middle would play pretty similar I would of thought, with lts of button and cut off steals going on. Then there would be huge differences on the bubble I would suspect and more room for planning. The bubble in 6 max has an orbit of 4 hands whereas 10 handed has 6 hands. So there's more room for you to stay out of the way but also more chance of the blinds going up before your next turn. Just be aware of those factors I would say. Also, regarding the HUD, don't know what you have at the moment, but spending some time setting that up properly (maybe just an hour or so) should pay dividends. I'm sure you can even copy a winning regs if you go on that large forum. Anyway, the main actual stats should be focused on stealing, both attempts and folds to steals. That's easy enough. The other crucial part is to make sure the filters are set up and working correctly. That's for both no. of BBs and no. of players left. These 2 things dictate STT strategy so it's vital to take them into account.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Cheers for that

Unfornately I havent got my head around getting tat set up properly . i just use it to enter games as the table pops up 1st and i can see there basic stats while playing - eg if they are a losing /winning player etc

Anyone know a guide to setting these things up  properly ( for someone who struggles as it is with softaware and poker software in general

Ps - i know what your saying tho JC - To have that information to hand would be huge 
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : GL GL GL Dazler!!!!!!
    Posted by JohnConnor
    ty JohnConnor i had bit of a bad run yesterday with it mainly KK QQ AQ all when i was ahead getting beat by dreaded 2 pair on river with them calling bottom pair but gonna stick with it. Not sure why the hell i played a 5.50 game shall stick to routine or im never gonna crack this. 

5.50dym-1
    2.25dym+7
    3.30dym+15 -12
    1.10dym-1

36played-22won
    lost 14
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Cheers stretch. The games you're referring to, particularly where there are 6 players left are the toughest kind and my least favourite. Unfortunately, there's not that much you can do to be honest. Because there are more people to shove through (and this has a huge impact on shoving ranges) you may well have to tighten up, even at the expense of your stack getting smaller than you would like. That's to say, tighten up when shoving junk, don't try and shove it through multiple opponents. There's also the problem of players being more likely to enter pots before you. In these circumstances I think you have to take full advantage of any spots that do present themselves to you, as you'll never be sure when you can be first into the pot again. So I can see there being many spots where I would shove ATC in the small blind. If the blinds are really big compared to stacks, though, actual hands (not junk) will go up in value alot. So I wouldn't be folding any medium pairs or decent aces. I'd be shoving these from any position really, and potentially calling with them as well, depending how short stacks are. Bit awkward, those spots, so hope the above makes at least some sense.
    Posted by JohnConnor

Thanks JC, it makes a lot of sense!