You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Didn't end up playing Thursday night :-( and only managed 12 games last night. W 6 L 6 Bankroll - £268.52.

Definately watching tonights show, though, and hopefully getting a few games in too...
  • edited February 2014
    Hi all,

Just my update for all these DYM's.  So far this weekend hasn't been great, plenty of silly calls to all in's & being rivered, but hey that's poker right?!?

Current stats so far this month on DYM's are:

PLAYED - 191
    WON - 114
    LOST - 77

so currently +37

Good luck at the tables :)

Ian
  • edited February 2014
    I had a good run yesterday morning and was on for 9 in a row untl my pk Js shove pre got called by A7 and they hit the A. Then in the evening towards the end of the night i was +29 and then my KK QQ and so on started losing to silly calls and lost 5 in a row. Feeling really ill at the moment so dont think i can concentrate on any today but heres my stats so far.

1.10 hu +1 -4
    3.30 hu -1
    5.50dym +12 -9    
    2.25dym+35 -27 
    3.30dym+63 -45  
    1.10dym-1

198played
    111 won
    87 lost
    +24
  • edited February 2014
    is this a fold pre and at what stage does it become a raising spot  ?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    questor11 Small blind  150.00 150.00 2545.00
    scottjc81 Big blind  300.00 450.00 3870.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

MP33 Fold     
    cookoo Fold     
    questor11 Raise  900.00 1350.00 1645.00
    scottjc81 Fold     
    questor11 Muck     
    questor11 Win  600.00  2245.00
    questor11 Return  750.00 0.00 2995.00
  • edited February 2014
    In the same tight game is any Ace a raise pre and what size would you make it ?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    MP33 Small blind  200.00 200.00 3115.00
    cookoo Big blind  400.00 600.00 2720.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

questor11 Fold     
    scottjc81 Fold     
    MP33 Raise  700.00 1300.00 2415.00
    cookoo Fold     
    MP33 Muck     
    MP33 Win  800.00  3215.00
    MP33 Return  500.00 0.00 3715.00
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR:
    is this a fold pre and at what stage does it become a raising spot  ? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance questor11 Small blind   150.00 150.00 2545.00 scottjc81 Big blind   300.00 450.00 3870.00   Your hole cards A 10       MP33 Fold         cookoo Fold         questor11 Raise   900.00 1350.00 1645.00 scottjc81 Fold         questor11 Muck         questor11 Win   600.00   2245.00 questor11 Return   750.00 0.00 2995.00
    Posted by MP33
    I totally agree with the fold here.  the blind sizes are high and this is a speculative hand at best hand.  

In my opinion there are a few times when you would play this hand;

a) low blind levels, so level 1-3.  I would limp in, in position and play the hand from there.
    b) Later I would consider playing this aggressively on the button, or defending BB.
    c) shortstacked this is a beautiful hand to shove with late on, best case scenario everyone folds pre flop, and if someone calls it has a good chance of standing up.

• edited February 2014
    In the same tight game is any Ace a raise pre and what size would you make it ? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance MP33 Small blind   200.00 200.00 3115.00 cookoo Big blind   400.00 600.00 2720.00   Your hole cards 8 A       questor11 Fold         scottjc81 Fold         MP33 Raise   700.00 1300.00 2415.00 cookoo Fold         MP33 Muck         MP33 Win   800.00   3215.00 MP33 Return   500.00 0.00 3715.00
    Posted by MP33
    Hey MP33 hope you don't mind me commenting on these hands, I don't have anywhere near as much experience as the rest of the thread, but feel that my development as a DYM player would improve by inputting here.

I personally would have folded the reason being, if I raised like you did, and got re-raised, I would not be confident re-re-raising all in.  If I have read the hand desciprition you weren't shortstacked or in any danger of getting blinded out, I would sit tight and wait for a more premium hand or someone else to make a mistake.

The only time I would play this hand is if I am shortstacked and in  danger of getting blinded out.  Then it would be All-In and pray to poker gods.
  • edited February 2014
    Hi all, Just my update for all these DYM's.  So far this weekend hasn't been great, plenty of silly calls to all in's & being rivered, but hey that's poker right?!? Current stats so far this month on DYM's are: PLAYED - 191 WON - 114 LOST - 77 so currently +37 Good luck at the tables :) Ian
    Posted by ian1976
    Hi Ian, great work so far keep up the good work!!
  • edited February 2014
    Didn't end up playing Thursday night :-( and only managed 12 games last night. W 6 L 6 Bankroll - £268.52. Definately watching tonights show, though, and hopefully getting a few games in too...
    Posted by JohnConnor
    How did tonights play go?

I had one of my best sessions yet

Played 21 W15 L 6

Bankroll up to £84.18

Rolled for the £3.30's but found the play tonight was softer on the £2.25's so stuck to playing them
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : How did tonights play go? I had one of my best sessions yet Played 21 W15 L 6 Bankroll up to £84.18 Rolled for the £3.30's but found the play tonight was softer on the £2.25's so stuck to playing them
    Posted by stretch83
    Grats! coming along nicely! I might play some more DYMs tomorrow... maybe...
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Hi Ian, great work so far keep up the good work!!
    Posted by stretch83
    Hi Stretch83,

Thanks for the kind words.  You seem to be going well too!  Wish you all the best!
  • edited February 2014
    Hi all,

Latest DYM update from me!  Only played a few tonight as have to be up early tomorrow :(  Here are my latest stats so far this month:

PLAYED - 213
    WON - 130
    LOST - 82

So on +48, if I can keep around that figure by the end of the month I will be one very happy cookie!

Good luck all at the tables!

Ian
  • edited February 2014
    Hi all,

Sorry there's been no update for a while I haven't managed to find very much poker time at all just lately :-(. I did play Saturday and had a very frustrating small losing session. Here are the stats from that:

Played 28 £11s W 14 L 14
    Bankroll - £240.52

Will be looking to steady the ship a bit now, starting tonight when I intend to be playing a few.  Good luck everyone, good to see some great progress being made on this thread.
  • edited February 2014
    Re MP33s hands:

I would start raising the A10 if I had 1800 chips or less and I'd be shoving 100% of the time in that case. I would fold it UTG otherwise. The A8 I probably fold too, to be honest, alot of the time. However I don't mind the steal at all if the conditions are right and here the stack sizes look ok and the stage of the game means the BB is probably playing very tight. If that's the case I think a steal is a good play. I'd definately be min raising, though, I don't think there's any need to waste the extra 100 chips on the times when you fold to a shove. If there's some (fairly odd) reason why you think the guy might be folding to a min+100 raise more than he is to a min raise then it's fine.
  • edited February 2014

Just two mini sessions to report. The first was a rather frustrating W 6 L 6 where I don't think I ran particularly well. The second was a much better one tonight where I had some extremely welcome run good. That ended W 10 L 3. Total after both:

Played 25 £11s W 16 L 9
    Bankroll - £285.52

Bankroll is just the highest it's been since starting and 3,000 C4Ps should easily be achievable for a £50 bonus. Happy at the moment after 3 extremely frustrating sessions previously. Hope your challenges are all going well.

• edited February 2014
    Just two mini sessions to report. The first was a rather frustrating W 6 L 6 where I don't think I ran particularly well. The second was a much better one tonight where I had some extremely welcome run good. That ended W 10 L 3. Total after both: Played 25 £11s W 16 L 9 Bankroll - £285.52 Bankroll is just the highest it's been since starting and 3,000 C4Ps should easily be achievable for a £50 bonus. Happy at the moment after 3 extremely frustrating sessions previously. Hope your challenges are all going well.
    Posted by JohnConnor

Keep up the good work mate!!  I will post my latest stats now! 
  • edited February 2014
    Hi all,

My latest DYM update.  Yesterday was probably my worst session this month.  I ran so bad it was unreal.  It seems to be the 'time of the month' for running bad after chatting to some of you, so made me feel a little better ;)  Anyway my latest DYM stats are as follows:

PLAYED - 261
    WON - 153
    LOST - 107

So overall I'm +46

Good luck all :)
  • edited February 2014
    Just two mini sessions to report. The first was a rather frustrating W 6 L 6 where I don't think I ran particularly well. The second was a much better one tonight where I had some extremely welcome run good. That ended W 10 L 3. Total after both: Played 25 £11s W 16 L 9 Bankroll - £285.52 Bankroll is just the highest it's been since starting and 3,000 C4Ps should easily be achievable for a £50 bonus. Happy at the moment after 3 extremely frustrating sessions previously. Hope your challenges are all going well.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Nice one JC, your challenge is coming on along nicely! Are you going to be playing in the XMAS ops?
  • edited February 2014
    Hi all, My latest DYM update.  Yesterday was probably my worst session this month.  I ran so bad it was unreal.  It seems to be the 'time of the month' for running bad after chatting to some of you, so made me feel a little better ;)  Anyway my latest DYM stats are as follows: PLAYED - 261 WON - 153 LOST - 107 So overall I'm +46 Good luck all :)
    Posted by ian1976
    Nice one Ian, don't let the session get you down.
  • edited February 2014
    Due to unforeseen circumstance my girlfriend is going to have to fly overseas for 5 days, as much as I love her and I am going to miss her, I am quite happy that I am going to be able to put in an extreme volume of poker in.
    See you all on the tables.

• edited February 2014
    Hey guys, apologies again for the lack of updates, I seem to be really busy with other things at the moment. Good luck stretch if you do manage to get a solid 5 days in, that sounds like what I need at the minute tbh lol. Regarding the Christmas UKOPS I'm not really sure tbh, money is pretty tight for me just at the moment and I won't be using the 'roll from this challenge to play. I'd love to play, though, so if there's anyway I can I will. Will you be trying to get into any?

Anyway, 2 sessions to report, a W 7 L 7 one and a W 8 L 2 one in the £11s.
    Bankroll - £321.52
    C4P - 2447

Really happy as the bankroll is the highest it's been but really disappointed in myself in that I may not reach 3,000 C4P having been in a position where I didn't think I could fail. I may still give it a go but will have to see. 3 evenings left to play 56 games...
  • edited February 2014
    Still finding it hard to get motivated into putting in the hours to play, but thx for the comments JC and Stretch on my last hands posted

MP
  • edited February 2014
    Hey guys, apologies again for the lack of updates, I seem to be really busy with other things at the moment. Good luck stretch if you do manage to get a solid 5 days in, that sounds like what I need at the minute tbh lol. Regarding the Christmas UKOPS I'm not really sure tbh, money is pretty tight for me just at the moment and I won't be using the 'roll from this challenge to play. I'd love to play, though, so if there's anyway I can I will. Will you be trying to get into any? Anyway, 2 sessions to report, a W 7 L 7 one and a W 8 L 2 one in the £11s. Bankroll - £321.52 C4P - 2447 Really happy as the bankroll is the highest it's been but really disappointed in myself in that I may not reach 3,000 C4P having been in a position where I didn't think I could fail. I may still give it a go but will have to see. 3 evenings left to play 56 games...
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Your BR is looking healthy mate, 3000 C4P not unachievable but maybe with some heavy multitabling it is possible.  I am doing the same atm to reach 1000, I need to play 87 more games in two nights :(

XMAS ops - I know what you mean about money, it's not even pay day and I pretty much have my wages spent, not including presents :(  Tikay said on the mastercash live show that another fully blown ops will be back inlate Feb, so not too bad.  I would like to have a go at the bigger tourneys, however both my br and ability are no where near at that level.  I did have a relatively nice cash on the £3k bounty hunter the other night, which along with quite a good run at the DYMS has taken my B.R to £184. 

Quick question to all - I have been playing the £2.25s for a while, and have got attached to them.  I am now rolled for the £5.50s but the thought of firing up multi table £5.50s scares me.  Is the standard much different at the £5.5o mark, do I just need to go for it?  Or do you think I should grind out 50 buy ins for the £5.5?
  • edited February 2014
    Still finding it hard to get motivated into putting in the hours to play, but thx for the comments JC and Stretch on my last hands posted MP
    Posted by MP33
    No worries bud.  I know what you mean about getting motivated, DYM's are quite repetitive, but then I guess every format of the game gets repetitive after a while.
  • edited February 2014
    Hey guys, apologies again for the lack of updates, I seem to be really busy with other things at the moment. Good luck stretch if you do manage to get a solid 5 days in, that sounds like what I need at the minute tbh lol. Regarding the Christmas UKOPS I'm not really sure tbh, money is pretty tight for me just at the moment and I won't be using the 'roll from this challenge to play. I'd love to play, though, so if there's anyway I can I will. Will you be trying to get into any? Anyway, 2 sessions to report, a W 7 L 7 one and a W 8 L 2 one in the £11s. Bankroll - £321.52 C4P - 2447 Really happy as the bankroll is the highest it's been but really disappointed in myself in that I may not reach 3,000 C4P having been in a position where I didn't think I could fail. I may still give it a go but will have to see. 3 evenings left to play 56 games...
    Posted by JohnConnor

Going very well now WD.  Its impressive that you had the patience to grind back through the micro stakes using BRM after playing at the high levels before this challenge.  I'm sure you will make your 1k in no time now your up to the £11's.

Pleased your are still updating this thread its a good read.

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Your BR is looking healthy mate, 3000 C4P not unachievable but maybe with some heavy multitabling it is possible.  I am doing the same atm to reach 1000, I need to play 87 more games in two nights :( XMAS ops - I know what you mean about money, it's not even pay day and I pretty much have my wages spent, not including presents :(  Tikay said on the mastercash live show that another fully blown ops will be back inlate Feb, so not too bad.  I would like to have a go at the bigger tourneys, however both my br and ability are no where near at that level.  I did have a relatively nice cash on the £3k bounty hunter the other night, which along with quite a good run at the DYMS has taken my B.R to £184.  Quick question to all - I have been playing the £2.25s for a while, and have got attached to them.  I am now rolled for the £5.50s but the thought of firing up multi table £5.50s scares me.  Is the standard much different at the £5.5o mark, do I just need to go for it?  Or do you think I should grind out 50 buy ins for the £5.5?
    Posted by stretch83
    If your not confident to try the £5.50's why dont you play the £3.30's for while, you pay less rake there and the move to the £5.50's wont seem as much of a jump when you decide your BR is high enough.

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : If your not confident to try the £5.50's why dont you play the £3.30's for while, you pay less rake there and the move to the £5.50's wont seem as much of a jump when you decide your BR is high enough.
    Posted by lMARKl
    +1 to this really, you could do with coming off the £2.25s just for the rake decrease and it's another stepping stone along the way. It's your decision though at the end of the day, if you're not comfortable moving up just yet, don't do it, there's no rush.

Also thanks Mark for your kind comments above. Pleased there are still some followers lol.
  • edited February 2014
    Not sure I've ever posted on here beofre but just wanted to give you more praise for the excellent blog. Have just started again in DYM's after a long lay-off and wanted to get the basics nailed down to make sure I was doing things right and must say there are some great tips in there, I particulary like the table for when to shove it's much more conservative than what I was used to i.e. 10 bbs and it's in but so far it seems to be working very well.

Will be attempting a DYM diary similar to yours in December which will hopefully keep me on track to reach my targets. Anyway good luck with your progress, hope you reach that £1k goal :).
  • edited February 2014
    To John Conner,dudeskin ,stretch,mp33,lambert,poker-fail,and anyone  i've missed out . Great thread and inspiring read,unfortunately after receiving job rejection 256! what ever funds i manage to win at cash or tourneys i have to withdraw for everyday things.... how you're meant to survive otherwise on £67.50 a week on jobseekers i don't know! But will eventually get back to the £5/£11 levels when i get a new job,or lucky streak!Good Luck to all.

Cheers Dave.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : If your not confident to try the £5.50's why dont you play the £3.30's for while, you pay less rake there and the move to the £5.50's wont seem as much of a jump when you decide your BR is high enough.
    Posted by lMARKl
    Hi Mark, gonna take your advice and just commit to the £3.30s I have 56 buy ins for this level so plenty of room for settling down.  I think I might try to get to £250 BR before moving to £5.50s and play it safe until the new year.