You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR

Comments

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR:
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Cheers stretch. The games you're referring to, particularly where there are 6 players left are the toughest kind and my least favourite. Unfortunately, there's not that much you can do to be honest. Because there are more people to shove through (and this has a huge impact on shoving ranges) you may well have to tighten up, even at the expense of your stack getting smaller than you would like. That's to say, tighten up when shoving junk, don't try and shove it through multiple opponents. There's also the problem of players being more likely to enter pots before you. In these circumstances I think you have to take full advantage of any spots that do present themselves to you, as you'll never be sure when you can be first into the pot again. So I can see there being many spots where I would shove ATC in the small blind. If the blinds are really big compared to stacks, though, actual hands (not junk) will go up in value alot. So I wouldn't be folding any medium pairs or decent aces. I'd be shoving these from any position really, and potentially calling with them as well, depending how short stacks are. Bit awkward, those spots, so hope the above makes at least some sense.
    Posted by JohnConnor

One thing I've noticed, and we've all seen it happen, is even if we get to levels 8 or 9 (or above) 5 or 6 handed, people at the table still play to the tune of the table leader even if there is a negligible difference in stack sizes, and sometimes, even when the table leader is not the biggest stack (normally an early leader, aggressive raiser and caller - may have just lost chips calling an all in...).

The crucial point is, people instinctively look for a table leader - the person who, halfway through the DYM - if asked, you would all agree would make the cash. If you can become this person, even if you are not an outright chip beast, you can steal blinds and have blinds folded to you by reputation alone.

What happens 5 or 6 handed with deep blinds is the higher stacks (say 3k+) try to maintain the inequality between themselves and the lower stacks (1.2k or less) and this requires a strategy to avoid the bigger stacks and therefore, some level of implicit collusion. This is where the table leader (the Don) dictates things.

Bigger stacks fold to him, as a sign of respect/expecting the favour to be returned (like Godfather 2 when people give gifts to Vito Corleone), small stacks get into a dog eat dog fight if all goes to plan as the looming blinds force them to shove more often and give better/unfoldable odds to call.

Basically, it's not so much a rational strategy based on maths that is useful in this situation, it is an understanding of table dynamics and psychology that would be your best asset to get into an adventageous position.

Please tell me this has been articulated clearly!
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : One thing I've noticed, and we've all seen it happen, is even if we get to levels 8 or 9 (or above) 5 or 6 handed, people at the table still play to the tune of the table leader even if there is a negligible difference in stack sizes, and sometimes, even when the table leader is not the biggest stack (normally an early leader, aggressive raiser and caller - may have just lost chips calling an all in...). The crucial point is, people instinctively look for a table leader - the person who, halfway through the DYM - if asked, you would all agree would make the cash. If you can become this person, even if you are not an outright chip beast, you can steal blinds and have blinds folded to you by reputation alone. What happens 5 or 6 handed with deep blinds is the higher stacks (say 3k+) try to maintain the inequality between themselves and the lower stacks (1.2k or less) and this requires a strategy to avoid the bigger stacks and therefore, some level of implicit collusion. This is where the table leader (the Don) dictates things. Bigger stacks fold to him, as a sign of respect/expecting the favour to be returned (like Godfather 2 when people give gifts to Vito Corleone), small stacks get into a dog eat dog fight if all goes to plan as the looming blinds force them to shove more often and give better/unfoldable odds to call. Basically, it's not so much a rational strategy based on maths that is useful in this situation, it is an understanding of table dynamics and psychology that would be your best asset to get into an adventageous position. Please tell me this has been articulated clearly!
    Posted by BigRonnieC
    Hi Ronnie, yeah it has, great post mate thanks. I wouldn't go against anything in it and it makes alot of sense, very interesting.
  • edited February 2014
    Not playing DTD tonight (maybe this month) to get some extra DYMs in. Quick update from last session which didn't go too well really:

Played 30 £3.30s W 15 L 15
    Bankroll - £98.72
  • edited February 2014
    Frustrating start to the session but it ended really well:

Played 25 £3.30s W 18 L 7
    Bankroll - £121.52

Rolled for the £5.50s again, roll on tomorrow night. Hating having to go to bed early to get up for work at 8am :-(
  • edited February 2014
    Frustrating start to the session but it ended really well: Played 25 £3.30s W 18 L 7 Bankroll - £121.52 Rolled for the £5.50s again, roll on tomorrow night. Hating having to go to bed early to get up for work at 8am :-(
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Going well JC!!  Just think that £121.52 was £15 quid a month or so ago, where else on this planet can you get that R.O.I?
  • edited February 2014
    Well lots of places considering the amount of volume required lol.... but I'm not raining on parades.

Yeah had another quite frustrating session myself JC, always annoys me when I just can't get over that 50% mark, like I load up 2 win 1/2, then load up another 2, make it 2/4, another 2, 3/6,  and so on and just can't get that 2 in a row to push me in to profit.

Oh well, I know it's just the way it falls, many a time I win 4-5 in a row.
  • edited February 2014
    Well lots of places considering the amount of volume required lol.... but I'm not raining on parades. Yeah had another quite frustrating session myself JC, always annoys me when I just can't get over that 50% mark, like I load up 2 win 1/2, then load up another 2, make it 2/4, another 2, 3/6,  and so on and just can't get that 2 in a row to push me in to profit. Oh well, I know it's just the way it falls, many a time I win 4-5 in a row.
    Posted by Lambert180
    cud b worse i got in from footy n quickly lost 8 in a row
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : cud b worse i got in from footy n quickly lost 8 in a row
    Posted by SHANXTA
    Ouch, that always stings
  • edited February 2014
    Kind of opposite session to the last, started pretty well and should have ended in profit but ran slightly poorly towards the end and finished £1 down:

Played 20 £5.50s W 12 L 8
    Bankroll - £120.52
  • edited February 2014
    Unlucky JC. Sorry that I probably didn't help things for you tonight lol.
  • edited February 2014
    ok i tried dym's only and started well then i keep getting sucked out on. im up but the grind of not getting anywhere quick is doing my head in, so i took the decision that if im gonna play then ill mix it up with sit n goes as if i can make top 3 theres no reason not to make top 2, and its working out a lot better, im sticking to a strickt br management and just playing low stakes no more than 3.30 i won 40quid in a 2.20 mtt so its helped and bumping up quite nicely. I will still play dym but throw in a few sit n goes as well and keeping record of each win loss or 2nd place. Stats so far after couple of bad nights of dym

dym
    1.10 hu -2
    3.30 hu -1
    5.50dym +1 -1
    2.25dym+16 -9
    3.30dym+16 -14
    1.10dym-1

61played 
    33 won
    28 lost
    +4

sit n go
    1.10 +1  2nd 1 L 2
    2.20 +7  2nd +3 L 5
    3.30 +1  2nd +1 L3

played 23
    1st 9
    2nd 5
    lost 9
    +4
  • edited February 2014
    I rarely play at $20 dollar level but now and then if i spot a game on scope i,ll try it

This game was a $20 + $2  PLO DYM - 8 player. It seemed easier than a £3 0r £5 on here

Ive found a marked imrovement on Sky in the low stakes DYM,s and don,t think the myth in general "That Sky is a soft site " is true anymore . Players on Sky have learnt a lot and the standard is always improving

Just out of interest do you know of any other sites for DYM,s JC and what their like compared to Sky,s?

• edited February 2014
    ok i tried dym's only and started well then i keep getting sucked out on. im up but the grind of not getting anywhere quick is doing my head in, so i took the decision that if im gonna play then ill mix it up with sit n goes as if i can make top 3 theres no reason not to make top 2, and its working out a lot better, im sticking to a strickt br management and just playing low stakes no more than 3.30 i won 40quid in a 2.20 mtt so its helped and bumping up quite nicely. I will still play dym but throw in a few sit n goes as well and keeping record of each win loss or 2nd place. Stats so far after couple of bad nights of dym dym 1.10 hu -2 3.30 hu -1 5.50dym +1 -1 2.25dym+16 -9 3.30dym+16 -14 1.10dym-1 61played  33 won 28 lost +4 sit n go 1.10 +1  2nd 1 L 2 2.20 +7  2nd +3 L 5 3.30 +1  2nd +1 L3 played 23 1st 9 2nd 5 lost 9 +4
    Posted by Dazler
    Nice STT record
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Nice STT record
    Posted by MP33
    ty would be a lot better as went out to a lot with the better hand in most but lot of 2nd places due to me having massive stack hu and each time the chips go in pre against small stack we both have the same top card but they keep hitting there lower kicker its insane how many times thats happend.

good site which i havnt used much but noticed good dym's is 888
  • edited February 2014
    Hi Dazler, yeah those STT results look really good, and a nice MTT score too, your bankroll must be looking good, keep up the good work!

MP33, was going to say I don't unfortunately, sorry, but having seen Dazler's post above, I have read somewhere that 888 is good for them now so might be worth a look there . . .
  • edited February 2014
    Small session and profit:

Played 15 £5.50s W 9 L 6
    Bankroll - £132.52

Just about the highest I've been since starting this, hope to play tomorrow night and in fact every night over the weekend. Off out now, gl everyone . . .
  • edited February 2014
    Small session and profit: Played 15 £5.50s W 9 L 6 Bankroll - £132.52 Just about the highest I've been since starting this, hope to play tomorrow night and in fact every night over the weekend. Off out now, gl everyone . . .
    Posted by JohnConnor
    n1 JC good to call it a night when you up :) my bankroll is steady so doing ok and up on dym so far ill post at end of night, have a nice evening out :)
  • edited February 2014
    dropped down on the stt games and shoulda won them but bad beats put me in 3rd a lot! but made up for it a bit on the dym tonight, played a couple of tornys also was close but no cigar.

dym
    1.10 hu -2
    3.30 hu -1
    5.50dym +2 -4
    2.25dym+18 -10
    3.30dym+22 -16
    1.10dym-1

76played 
    42 won
    34 lost
    +8

sit n go
    1.10 +1    2nd +1   L 3
    2.20 +10  2nd+3    L 9
    3.30 +1    2nd +2   L5

played 35
    1st 12
    2nd 6
    lost 17
    +1
  • edited February 2014

Won 2
    Lost 2

Heres a cpl of hands I think I maybe could have played differently . Wouldn,t mind opinions on how differently i could have played them - Cheers

I cashed in this one but it was getting a very tight game and i thought i could get my min raise through after i,d not pllayed a hand for a while

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    jinxy1955 Small blind  150.00 150.00 3430.00
    mrg7 Big blind  300.00 450.00 1715.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • A
    • K

MP33 Raise  600.00 1050.00 1835.00
    eekamouze Raise  1800.00 2850.00 2170.00
    jinxy1955 Fold     
    mrg7 Fold     
    MP33 Fold     
    eekamouze Muck     
    eekamouze Win  1650.00  3820.00
    eekamouze Return  1200.00 0.00 5020.00
    This was on the bubble and maybe should have shoved pre or just stayed out of it - looking back at my stack.

It was one of those games where no-one wanted to finish off the short stack and you sometimes get frustrated with it and make mistakes like mine , especially when ppl are folding with huge stacks , when they are getting odds to call with any 2
    MP33 Big blind  150.00 150.00 2975.00
      Your hole cards

padman1978 Raise  300.00 450.00 1572.50
    Plato1 Fold     
    cravens15 Fold     
    MP33 Call  150.00 600.00 2825.00
    Flop

MP33 Bet  450.00 1050.00 2375.00
    padman1978 Raise  900.00 1950.00 672.50
    MP33 Raise  900.00 2850.00 1475.00
    padman1978 All-in  672.50 3522.50 0.00
    MP33 Call  222.50 3745.00 1252.50
    MP33 Show

padman1978 Show
    • A

Turn

River

padman1978 Win Straight to the 5 3745.00  3745.00
    Not sure about this one : unlucky to run into such a good hand but with 5 left and the blinds at 200/400 thought I had to make a move as the blinds would have been 300/600 by the time they got to me
    rolo1 Small blind  200.00 200.00 620.00
    mc235 Big blind  400.00 600.00 2120.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • Q

Marsh447 Fold     
    stoker15 Fold     
    MP33 All-in  1980.00 2580.00 0.00
    rolo1 Fold     
    mc235 Call  1580.00 4160.00 540.00
    mc235 Show
    • A
    • A

MP33 Show
    • K
    • Q

Flop

Turn

• J

River

• K

mc235 Win Full House, 8s and 5s 4160.00  4700.00
  • edited February 2014
    Hand 1 - You've been dealt too many cards Paul...    What ya doing playing Omaha DYMs lol
  • edited February 2014
    blimmey what a grind tonight played a lot of dym and multi tabled 4 at a time, ran into sets sooooo many times it was rediculous also pk Qs im just folding as every time was in with them they had pk Ks. Did enjoy multi tabling though and would like to do around 6 but laptop screen to small will have to get the monitor out or do it on me telly, feel like im getting more bang for my buck with multiway on dym and is only way to do it. Up 10 games tonight, was more! sit n goes a nightmare again also no luck on mtt and broke even tonight.

dym
    1.10 hu -2
    3.30 hu -1
    5.50dym +5 -4
    2.25dym+22 -18
    3.30dym+31 -22
    1.10dym-1

105played 
    58 won
    48 lost
    +10

sit n go
    1.10 +1  2nd 1 L 3
    2.20 +10 2nd+3 L 14
    3.30 +1  2nd +2 L5

played 40
    1st 12
    2nd 6
    lost 22

783 poker leauge points
  • edited February 2014
    Played 12 £5.50s Thursday W 7 L 5
    Bankroll was £136.52

Then had a great session tonight, obviously ran well here:

Played 32 £5.50s W 24 L 8
    Bankroll- £205.02

Feeling quite good about the bankroll now, touch wood I will be able to move upto the £11s sometime soon.
  • edited February 2014
    Played 12 £5.50s Thursday W 7 L 5 Bankroll was £136.52 Then had a great session tonight, obviously ran well here: Played 32 £5.50s W 24 L 8 Bankroll- £205.02 Feeling quite good about the bankroll now, touch wood I will be able to move upto the £11s sometime soon.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    the maths don't add up, you must have won one more game to get to that total.

glad to help you out in one of those games.
  • edited February 2014
    Sounds like things are going well JC!!

I think it was earlier in this thread that you quoted from sit and go strategy by Colin Moshman, I purchased this book the other day, and it has since transformed my play for the better.  I would like to ask you, have you had any success playing regular SnGs? 
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : the maths don't add up, you must have won one more game to get to that total. glad to help you out in one of those games.
    Posted by achill
    Hi achill, thanks for that. There will be times when the numbers won't add up, I've noticed that myself but have just started to post them anyway. It's because I just keep a tally chart as I'm playing. I find it easy enough to calculate profit (eg for £5.50s: £4.50 x no. of games you've won more than you lost - £1 x no. of wins matched by losses) but I struggle to work out the number of wins/losses from the actual profit only. If anyone knows a quick and easy way to do this I would be interested...
  • edited February 2014
    Sounds like things are going well JC!! I think it was earlier in this thread that you quoted from sit and go strategy by Colin Moshman, I purchased this book the other day, and it has since transformed my play for the better.  I would like to ask you, have you had any success playing regular SnGs? 
    Posted by stretch83
    Hi stretch, thanks. That's a great book, that. I can't say I've had any success playing regular SnGs, to be honest, no. I can't remember my stats from the ones I played when I tried them for about 3 weeks, but if I load up my old laptop I'll look them up and post again here. I think I made a profit in the $6.50s across a sample of just a few hundred games and lost a little in the $16.00s. I really enjoy them to be honest and quite enjoyed 'stacking' tables. Playing DYMs I do miss playing for 1st place. Ultimately I prefer Sky, though, and didn't last long on that site despite it being excellent and the software tools available excellent as well.
  • edited February 2014
    Hey JC, I was hoping my luck might have turned around from that last horrendous session after a few days off. Thought I'd give the DTD a go for a little change, I played 3 hands and I'm out of the first 2 tourneys lol.

Hand 1 - one guy shoves the turn and I call wih 2pr cos theres no way he shoves with better than my hand on that board, he has QQ so I'm ahead and then rivers the Q.

Hand 2 - I've got KK and walk into a guy whose flopped 2pair cos he wouldnt let go of Q8 to my raise pre. That took a few chips off me.

Hand 3 - Left with about 2.8k from the KK hand. I get QQ, someone opens with 3x raise, someone 3bets, I shove and get called by AA lol, I even flop the Q but he rivered the straight...

I hope this ends soon.

• edited February 2014

Re MP33's 66 hand:

Sorry it's taken me a while to comment on this one MP33, I haven't been online that much in the last few days.

Here are my thoughts about it. I wouldn't be shoving pre, I don't think the stack sizes or the situation are right for that and it appears the risk/reward is not good enough. So I would mostly lean towards folding. However, I don't hate a call and would make this play myself sometimes, particularly if the game is not progressing. You're getting 3 to 1 in a fairly easy spot, either flop a set or get out.

However, the poker gods decided to test you with a flop, very unlucky really. That being said, though, what I said above about flopping a set or getting out still rings mostly true and I'm sure it was in your head pre-flop too. As such my overriding objective when that flop comes is to play a small pot. I'm putting in 300 more chips max if I don't improve (or slightly more if he min bets flop and turn then makes a small bet on the river - which he can't really do from his stack anyway). Ideally my opponent will min-bet (or check!) the flop and turn, which happens surprisingly often in these spots late on. If he half pots the flop, I think I find one call, looking to turn my straight or my set (my set is good since I can never put him on a 3 here) and knowing that he will also give up on the turn sometimes aswell. If he bets 3/4 pot on the flop I fold. 3/4 pot is a big bet in itself, it's a huge part of his stack, and it indicates that he's going all the way with the hand. Those 3 factors point to strength that the 66 can't match. So yeah, I'm definately not leading for 3/4 pot, I'm not leading at all but if I was I would make it half pot. Then I think you have to fold to the click back from that stack, that indicates huge strength.

All in all it is a tough spot and you got unlucky. But such a tough spot becomes much, much easier if your thinking when you see the flop changes. If you adopt a tight DYM mindset then this becomes a clear spot to play a small pot, not a large one.

• edited February 2014
    Hey JC, I was hoping my luck might have turned around from that last horrendous session after a few days off. Thought I'd give the DTD a go for a little change, I played 3 hands and I'm out of the first 2 tourneys lol. Hand 1 - one guy shoves the turn and I call wih 2pr cos theres no way he shoves with better than my hand on that board, he has QQ so I'm ahead and then rivers the Q. Hand 2 - I've got KK and walk into a guy whose flopped 2pair cos he wouldnt let go of Q8 to my raise pre. That took a few chips off me. Hand 3 - Left with about 2.8k from the KK hand. I get QQ, someone opens with 3x raise, someone 3bets, I shove and get called by AA lol, I even flop the Q but he rivered the straight... I hope this ends soon.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Hi Lambert, I feel your pain mate, ouch. It will end soon mate it has to surely. Just hang in there and keep playing properly and you will have to get rewarded. Run better if you fire up any DYMs tonight...
  • edited February 2014
    I have read the whole thread in an hour and something...17 pages...WoW.

IMO it's one of the best threads in the forum. I am new here at Sky. I read JC blog 3 weeks ago I think, and today the thread came in the first places of my unread posts due to Lambert's post. Just a blessing.

I have to say many congrats to JC for the blog. I think it's one of the most helpful ones and that be seen by how many players follow this thread.

I might begin my own challenge soon, but I don't want to play against the thread's regs. :-)

Anyway I hope every single one of you reach his goal soon and enjoy his time playing.

Good luck to everyone, keep up the good work and keep posting.