You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR

Comments

• edited February 2014
    im 16 up so far should be over 20 but was drunk one night lol and not played many last couple of days so gonna get back onto it kinda using it to pay for sit n go buy ins if i lose back to dym's and get back up to level or more but really enjoying this and you have spured me on JC. Ive certainly improved already and learning a few new tricks here and there, i def also wanna break the 50 in a row record as in the other thread but thats a pipe dream but something to aim for lol.

so far

dym
    1.10 hu -2
    3.30 hu -1
    5.50dym +9 -4
    2.25dym+25 -19
    3.30dym+39 -30
    1.10dym-1

130played 
    73 won
    57 lost
    +16

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR:
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Hi achill, thanks for that. There will be times when the numbers won't add up, I've noticed that myself but have just started to post them anyway. It's because I just keep a tally chart as I'm playing. I find it easy enough to calculate profit (eg for £5.50s: £4.50 x no. of games you've won more than you lost - £1 x no. of wins matched by losses) but I struggle to work out the number of wins/losses from the actual profit only. If anyone knows a quick and easy way to do this I would be interested...
    Posted by JohnConnor
    I think this would be the only way to work it out, it prob won't save any time lol.

You would need to know:

Your start BR,           Your end BR,           Total # of games played,           Stake,          Return

£100                        £111.50                 27                                           £5.50            £10

(Example figures above)

This will not work if you change buyins mid-session.

1) Multiply the buyin by the total number of games played. £5.50 x 27 = £148.50

2) Either add on your profit, or subtract your loss for the day £148.50 + £11.50 = £160

3) Then Divide this the return at your level £160/£10 = 16

That gives you how many games you have won which is 16/27 for this scenario.

So you would still need to record how many games you have played.
  • edited February 2014
    I have read the whole thread in an hour and something...17 pages...WoW. IMO it's one of the best threads in the forum. I am new here at Sky. I read JC blog 3 weeks ago I think, and today the thread came in the first places of my unread posts due to Lambert's post. Just a blessing. I have to say many congrats to JC for the blog. I think it's one of the most helpful ones and that be seen by how many players follow this thread. I might begin my own challenge soon, but I don't want to play against the thread's regs. :-) Anyway I hope every single one of you reach his goal soon and enjoy his time playing. Good luck to everyone, keep up the good work and keep posting.
    Posted by GreekWay
    Hi GreekWay, welcome to Sky and many thanks for all your kind words. Good luck in any such challenge you attempt and please feel free to use this thread to provide updates. JC
  • edited February 2014
    im 16 up so far should be over 20 but was drunk one night lol and not played many last couple of days so gonna get back onto it kinda using it to pay for sit n go buy ins if i lose back to dym's and get back up to level or more but really enjoying this and you have spured me on JC. Ive certainly improved already and learning a few new tricks here and there, i def also wanna break the 50 in a row record as in the other thread but thats a pipe dream but something to aim for lol. so far dym 1.10 hu -2 3.30 hu -1 5.50dym +9 -4 2.25dym+25 -19 3.30dym+39 -30 1.10dym-1 130played  73 won 57 lost +16
    Posted by Dazler
    Great to see you're enjoying your poker at the moment Dazler, and also making some nice progress as well. That is a great target too mate, may as well aim for the stars and see where you end up imo...
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : I think this would be the only way to work it out, it prob won't save any time lol. You would need to know: Your start BR,           Your end BR,           Total # of games played,           Stake,          Return                                                                                                                         £100                        £111.50                 27                                           £5.50            £10 (Example figures above) This will not work if you change buyins mid-session. 1) Multiply the buyin by the total number of games played. £5.50 x 27 = £148.50 2) Either add on your profit, or subtract your loss for the day £148.50 + £11.50 = £160 3) Then Divide this the return at your level £160/£10 = 16 That gives you how many games you have won which is 16/27 for this scenario. So you would still need to record how many games you have played.
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Thanks for that PF. The last part is where I may come unstuck but that's very helpful and appreciated nonetheless.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Great to see you're enjoying your poker at the moment Dazler, and also making some nice progress as well. That is a great target too mate, may as well aim for the stars and see where you end up imo...
    Posted by JohnConnor
    I am looking for a site to start my challenge because I think Sky has become a bit tough at DYM at the moment and also because I want to receive a new player's bonus. Do you have any site to recommend?

If you don't want to post because it's maybe going to be an ad to the site PM me please.
  • edited February 2014
    Hey JC,

Remember my bad beats in the 7.15 DS and 7.45 DS last night in the DTD, well I ran a bit better in the TOT and came 2nd for just over £55 so that's cheered me up :) lol

That's pretty much covered my losses from that horrendous session of bad beats in DYMs
  • edited February 2014
    Hey JC, Remember my bad beats in the 7.15 DS and 7.45 DS last night in the DTD, well I ran a bit better in the TOT and came 2nd for just over £55 so that's cheered me up :) lol That's pretty much covered my losses from that horrendous session of bad beats in DYMs
    Posted by Lambert180
    Wiiiiiiiiii, cracking score Lambert, nice one mate!
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : I am looking for a site to start my challenge because I think Sky has become a bit tough at DYM at the moment and also because I want to receive a new player's bonus. Do you have any site to recommend? If you don't want to post because it's maybe going to be an ad to the site PM me please.
    Posted by GreekWay
    They seem to have got very tuff, the amount of times recently ive been 6 handed at level 6 is just silly other then C4P I see very little value.

the £5DYm seem a little easier but then £10 are just full of regs.

If certain players are in the £50 DYM there is super value to be had
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : They seem to have got very tuff, the amount of times recently ive been 6 handed at level 6 is just silly other then C4P I see very little value. the £5DYm seem a little easier but then £10 are just full of regs. If certain players are in the £50 DYM there is super value to be had
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    Hi Piano and Greek, regarding the games getting tougher I asked this question to JC last week;

If there are still 5+ runners post level 7-8 and you are all on equalish chip stacks what is the best thing to do?

JC replied:

The games you're referring to, particularly where there are 6 players left are the toughest kind and my least favourite. Unfortunately, there's not that much you can do to be honest. Because there are more people to shove through (and this has a huge impact on shoving ranges) you may well have to tighten up, even at the expense of your stack getting smaller than you would like. That's to say, tighten up when shoving junk, don't try and shove it through multiple opponents. There's also the problem of players being more likely to enter pots before you. In these circumstances I think you have to take full advantage of any spots that do present themselves to you, as you'll never be sure when you can be first into the pot again. So I can see there being many spots where I would shove ATC in the small blind. If the blinds are really big compared to stacks, though, actual hands (not junk) will go up in value alot. So I wouldn't be folding any medium pairs or decent aces. I'd be shoving these from any position really, and potentially calling with them as well, depending how short stacks are. 

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Hi Piano and Greek, regarding the games getting tougher I asked this question to JC last week; If there are still 5+ runners post level 7-8 and you are all on equalish chip stacks what is the best thing to do? JC replied:   The games you're referring to, particularly where there are 6 players left are the toughest kind and my least favourite. Unfortunately, there's not that much you can do to be honest. Because there are more people to shove through (and this has a huge impact on shoving ranges) you may well have to tighten up, even at the expense of your stack getting smaller than you would like. That's to say, tighten up when shoving junk, don't try and shove it through multiple opponents. There's also the problem of players being more likely to enter pots before you. In these circumstances I think you have to take full advantage of any spots that do present themselves to you, as you'll never be sure when you can be first into the pot again. So I can see there being many spots where I would shove ATC in the small blind. If the blinds are really big compared to stacks, though, actual hands (not junk) will go up in value alot. So I wouldn't be folding any medium pairs or decent aces. I'd be shoving these from any position really, and potentially calling with them as well, depending how short stacks are.   
    Posted by stretch83

Along with JCs original blog post, the above has helped me immensely. 
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : They seem to have got very tuff, the amount of times recently ive been 6 handed at level 6 is just silly other then C4P I see very little value. the £5DYm seem a little easier but then £10 are just full of regs. If certain players are in the £50 DYM there is super value to be had
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    Yeh, I was sharkscoping lobbies a while back and saw a £55 DYM where 2 people had lost an average of £20 per game n their last 50, 2 more were also clearly bad, the only slight worry was Nutter but I wasn't gonna pass that chance up!

Paid off at least although  bubble time was quite scary :S
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Along with JCs original blog post, the above has helped me immensely. 
    Posted by stretch83
    How's the grind been going stretch?
  • edited February 2014
    Quick update from last night:

Played 17 £5.50s W 13 L 4
    Played 5 £11s W 4 L 1
    Bankroll - £256.52

So moved upto the £11s here and had a nice little introduction. Now getting 10 league points per win instead of 7. Recognised alot more names already at this level than I have been doing previously in this challenge, which will be a bad thing overall. Feeling good overall, though, especially as the £11 level is where the Priority Club comes back into view (more realistically, though, with my volume at the minute, I think that may come at the £22 level).

Should squeeze a few games in tonight so will update later providing I'm not too tired, or else it will be tomorrow. Run well everyone, please keep your updates coming so everyone can get behind!
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : How's the grind been going stretch?
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Overall I am happy around about october 20th I deposited £15 and I am sitting with £55.93  in my account, however I have got stuck at £2.25 level.  I really regret not keeping a tracker of my performance, as I have no real idea of how I am doing.
    I seem to run well, and then run really bad and end up at the £1.15s and grind my way back to £2.25's.  I know this is down to inexperience, however I seem to be improving recently after buying Colin Moshman guide to SNG's.

How are you doing mate? 
  • edited February 2014
    Quick update from last night: Played 17 £5.50s W 13 L 4 Played 5 £11s W 4 L 1 Bankroll - £256.52 So moved upto the £11s here and had a nice little introduction. Now getting 10 league points per win instead of 7. Recognised alot more names already at this level than I have been doing previously in this challenge, which will be a bad thing overall. Feeling good overall, though, especially as the £11 level is where the Priority Club comes back into view (more realistically, though, with my volume at the minute, I think that may come at the £22 level). Should squeeze a few games in tonight so will update later providing I'm not too tired, or else it will be tomorrow. Run well everyone, please keep your updates coming so everyone can get behind!
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Gl tonight JC mate!
  • edited February 2014
    Hello Johnconnor, I have to say what a great read!!  I'm also grinding at £11 dym's.  So far this month my stats are as follows:

Played - 149
    Won - 92
    Lost - 57

Good Luck with your challenge!

Ian - aka Ian1976
  • edited February 2014
    bad night last night lost 7 in a row and had problems connecting to the site after i bought in so was looking dire but pulled it back tonight and 5 in a row so far only another 45 to go for the record :)

1.10 hu -2
    3.30 hu -1
    5.50dym +9 -6     
    2.25dym+27 -20  
    3.30dym+45 -34   
    1.10dym-1

145played 
    81 won
    64 lost
    +17

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Overall I am happy around about october 20th I deposited £15 and I am sitting with £55.93  in my account, however I have got stuck at £2.25 level.  I really regret not keeping a tracker of my performance, as I have no real idea of how I am doing. I seem to run well, and then run really bad and end up at the £1.15s and grind my way back to £2.25's.  I know this is down to inexperience, however I seem to be improving recently after buying Colin Moshman guide to SNG's. How are you doing mate
    Posted by stretch83
    I havn't renewed my sharkscope subscription but if you ask nicely i'm sure either DoHHHHHHH or IRISHROVER would be happy to help you with that.

I havn't been playing many DYMs recently, I kind of got a bit bored with them and have started playing a lot of cash, although have played some recently with a decent win rate. I might try and pick up from the £11s (where I left off last time) but play cash at the same time and keep a note of my "DYM Bankroll" as I am starting to find them fun again.

Grats on the BR increase, it's starting to look chunkier :) and GL continuing.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : I havn't renewed my sharkscope subscription but if you ask nicely i'm sure either DoHHHHHHH or IRISHROVER would be happy to help you with that. I havn't been playing many DYMs recently, I kind of got a bit bored with them and have started playing a lot of cash, although have played some recently with a decent win rate. I might try and pick up from the £11s (where I left off last time) but play cash at the same time and keep a note of my "DYM Bankroll" as I am starting to find them fun again. Grats on the BR increase, it's starting to look chunkier :) and GL continuing.
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Thanks Pokerfail, I have started to keep a better track of my performance as of yesterday.  I won 7, and lost 1 last night taking my roll upto £65.63, very pleased with that. 
    How is playing cash working out for you?  It is on my list of things to do in the new year, however I don't feel my game is anywhere near good enough to dabble in the cash ring games.
  • edited February 2014
    Here you go stretch, this is your record in DYM's since October 20th. 4% ROI which is very respectable. Keep it up.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/stretch83.png/
  • edited February 2014
    Here you go stretch, this is your record in DYM's since October 20th. 4% ROI which is very respectable. Keep it up. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/stretch83.png/
    Posted by splashies
    Nice one Splash, always good tosee people helping others out : )
  • edited February 2014
    Hello Johnconnor, I have to say what a great read!!  I'm also grinding at £11 dym's.  So far this month my stats are as follows: Played - 149 Won - 92 Lost - 57 Good Luck with your challenge! Ian - aka Ian1976
    Posted by ian1976
    Hi Ian, great to have you on board and thanks for the kind words. Good luck to you too sir, your stats so far are impressive! I should be seeing you around a little bit then :-)
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Thanks Pokerfail, I have started to keep a better track of my performance as of yesterday.  I won 7, and lost 1 last night taking my roll upto £65.63, very pleased with that.  How is playing cash working out for you?  It is on my list of things to do in the new year, however I don't feel my game is anywhere near good enough to dabble in the cash ring games.
    Posted by stretch83
    Another good day and you could be rolled for the £3.30s :)

So far cash has been much better for me than DYMs, I'm making more money and earning more poker points, will make 3k for the first time this month!
  • edited February 2014

Just got massively confused doing this update lol. Anyway the long and short is that the balance at the end of my last update should have read £266.52 (£10 more than it did do). So played a few last night:

Played 26 £11s W 15 L 11
    Bankroll - £280.52

Hopefully playing tonight and watching the live show too, doesn't get much better...

• edited February 2014
    Great Thread John and always catch up with everyones comments.
    Took on board quite a few of your thoughts and over my last 500 games or so
    i have been on a right roll. I reckon main reason is that i am at last FOLDING at the right times and
    starting to be more aggressive.
    Generally play £ 11 and a few £ 16.50 but also £ 11.00 Turbo DYM which if played correctly are really
    profitable.
    Everyone keep it up.
  • edited February 2014
    Here you go stretch, this is your record in DYM's since October 20th. 4% ROI which is very respectable. Keep it up. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/stretch83.png/
    Posted by splashies
    Thanks Splashies, really appreciate that :)
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Another good day and you could be rolled for the £3.30s :) So far cash has been much better for me than DYMs, I'm making more money and earning more poker points, will make 3k for the first time this month!
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Lol, I was even thinking that myself.  Unfortunately I have been working nights, so playing in the day against the regs, and not even getting marginal hands to play with.  Back down to £61.68.  I tend to drop down a level mid-week during the day, due to play being incredibly tight.  In anyones opinion is this a reasonable tactic?  

3k poker points, nice, puts my measly 337 to shame :( lol
  • edited February 2014
    still going up slowly +22 so far, if i just stuck to these and nothing else id have a nice little tidy profit instead ive been using profit to buy into tornys. Still interesting to try this out this month and work out what i would of made with just these. Prefering the 3.30 games as profit seems to rise at level id like but mixing them up with the 2.20 games when no others are available. Seeing a lot of regular dym players also and bumped into stretch which was nice and we both cashed on a couple, some good banter along with a few others at the dym tables.

1.10 hu +1 -4
    3.30 hu -1
    5.50dym +10 -7    
    2.25dym+31 -22 
    3.30dym+54 -39  
    1.10dym-1

170played
    96 won
    74 lost
    +22

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Lol, I was even thinking that myself.  Unfortunately I have been working nights, so playing in the day against the regs, and not even getting marginal hands to play with.  Back down to £61.68.  I tend to drop down a level mid-week during the day, due to play being incredibly tight.  In anyones opinion is this a reasonable tactic?   3k poker points, nice, puts my measly 337 to shame :( lol
    Posted by stretch83
    I used to have a similar tactic when I was exclusively playing DYMs, I was playing the £5.50 level but if I was running bad and losing a lot I would play a bunch of £1.15s as a "Tilt prevention measure" good for keeping confidence IMO.

Well I've currently got 2147 points, but more than enough time to hit 3k, my previous best was 2k and im hoping to make 4k next month, yours will increase steadily as you move up the levels, don't worry : )