You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

GaryLaud's diary TEMP SELF SUSPENSION (as at Fri June 20th, 2014)

edited June 2014 in Poker Chat
I decided to start my own diary having read the bankroll postings and other players diaries.

9th March:- Joined Sky Poker, played in four events. 2x £20 turbo free-rolls and that evening's £1k bounty hunter.
WON £1.88 from taking down a player.

10th March:- Played in a £500 new player F/R. Ran really well in this and finished 37th, and ended up in the prizes winning myself FIVE POUNDS (£5) "Im Liking this" I said to myself!

11th March:- Used ALOT of my FREE TOKENS in trying to get involved in the £10k turbo main event, playing a direct satellite and two ALL-IN "pot-luck" satellites. I didnt get into the main event! :(

12th March:- In the early hours, feeling bored and cheese'd off that I had wasted some of my sign-up bonus,  I decided to "take a chance" in playing the micro cash tables. I ended up losing around £1 of my previously won bounty hunter £1.88

LATER THAT DAY:- I Played a "Free-Seats F/R" and finished 67th out of 623 runners. I posted about some of my experiences thus far on RichOrford's "Build a bankroll" forum topic and he has invited me into the Turbo Tuesday Main Event on 18th March! Talk About WOW! When I first posted on the topic, I didn't realise that the topic was started by one of the show's presenters!

14th March:- using some of my remaining FREEBIES, I enrolled myself into the £250 Gtd Speed. Here again I ended up into the top 50 (37/117), but didnt win any prizes. I am getting quite encouraged by my performances in general. NB: 37th seems to be a regular thing with me doesn't it!?

15-16th March:- AGAIN missed the 7pm F/R's so ended up making new friends on the practice tables, hoping to refine my game ready for tuesday 18th, turned out to be a more social affair

17th March:- With a number of my tokens still to use, I took the plunge and entered some of the "DYM Sit & Go" tournament's. Didnt fare very well with these and routinely ended up either 4th or 5th.

18th March:- Brings us BANG-UP-TO-DATE. Tonight I played a double your money S&G to use my last remaining FREE-BEE and placed 4th again. before long it was time to play in the main event, The Turbo Open. I think I did quite well here. a LARGE field of some 640 runners took part, with some 26 still left as I write this. I exited the tournament after 1hr45mins of play at level 14 with blinds at 400/800.

With my stack rapidly diminishing and my stronger hands being out-bet and myself being not mentally strong enough to call the larger raises, I ended up shoving with 8/9 OFF Suit, after getting an open-ended Str8 draw from the flop. The turn and river yealded no help and I find that my opponent had A/7 and won the hand with A HIGH! REALLY! I had gone out of the competition to HIGH-CARD!

Still it was a great experience and I really appreciated the opportunity to play. 

Where I go from here? Well I think alot more hours on the practice tables and use many more of my 490-odd points (I got from just registering with Sky Poker) to enter alot of the free-rolls that sky poker have going on, and just maybe, use some of my £5 bank-roll I have left to try out some more sit & go action?

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Hi Gary

GL with your poker quest!

do you have any goals you would like to achieve from your diary?

you should post some hands you arent sure about too - you'll get lots of help.

what to do with a £5 bankroll.. GaryQQQ has an excellent diary last year where he ran up £0 (and a few points) to £1k - you should check it out possibly copy some of his Bankroll management ideas. 

what is your poker background? 

SKY is definately a good place to start your poker career - I dont know any other sites that have such a friendly community.

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Diary of a "Rookie" GaryLaud:
    Welcome Gary . Excellent read and Great to hear you had some good experience`s along the way. I notice you state you have accumulated 490 odd points along the way (if this was earned during your play?)   I was sure sky gave you £10 increments for points accumulation when you  1st deposit  with  sky , as a reward for your play? So if my calculations are correct ? 

Hi,
    No my 490 points are still what's left of the 500 points I was given at startup. I've used some of those points to enter freerolls but I appear to have won back at least 20 through just playing the tournaments I have entered.

• edited March 2014
    March 19th:- Engaged in some chat amongst the 6max DYM tables with the amazing Mr Orford.

60p DYM:- Entered 2x of these and each time I finished in 5th place.

7pm F/ROLL:- entered the 7pm freeroll at the late-reg stage after missing the start time due to still playing a DYM table. WORST run in a F/R after I ended up betting a hand where I thought I was ahead having rivered an A-High Flush - However I was eliminated to a full-house! 

Back to the play-tables and it's only 7:15pm! HOW am I going to progress while having a run like this?
  • edited March 2014
    March 19th:- Engaged in some chat amongst the 6max DYM tables with the amazing Mr Orford. 60p DYM:- Entered 2x of these and each time I finished in 5th place. 7pm F/ROLL:- entered the 7pm freeroll at the late-reg stage after missing the start time due to still playing a DYM table. WORST run in a F/R after I ended up betting a hand where I thought I was ahead having rivered an A-High Flush - However I was eliminated to a full-house!  Back to the play-tables and it's only 7:15pm! HOW am I going to progress while having a run like this?
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Good evening Gary
    Iplay the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack most afternoons as a novice player myself this tournament has improved my game, still not a winning player but a great tournament with some top players in it.
    Being  a deepstack you can afford to make mistakes and still have plenty of chips left.
    Play tables will not improve your game as no money is on offer so players will play any two.
    All the best
    Rainman397
    p.s their is a deepstack at 21.15 tonight £2.20
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Diary of a "Rookie" GaryLaud : Good evening Gary Iplay the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack most afternoons as a novice player myself this tournament has improved my game, still not a winning player but a great tournament with some top players in it. Being  a deepstack you can afford to make mistakes and still have plenty of chips left. Play tables will not improve your game as no money is on offer so players will play any two. All the best Rainman397 p.s their is a deepstack at 21.15 tonight £2.20
    Posted by rainman397
    Oh come on. Novice? No way.
  • edited March 2014
    Good luck mate, will definitely follow this. As posted before and from my responses to your thread in the clinic, happy to help with anything. :)
  • edited March 2014
    March 20th:- In the end I took a night off playing poker, spending the first par t of my evening watching Sky Poker TV and then going to friends. I got a welcome boost by having my email read-out on air with a big shout out to my friends - thanks Mr Orford!

March 21st:- Eager to participate and not much on, I played in the after 14:00 free-roll. My bankroll had taken a real hammering recently, I decided against entering the 14:20 for £2.20 deep-stack as it would have swallowed up all of the remaining cash that I had left over following successes in the early days of my account, after I had won £6.88 within days of opening my account!
  • edited March 2014
     I wouldnt get to strung up if you lose a few quid here and there, i personally only learnt by losing, you will take a few hits along the way, but make sure anytime u loose you analyse why and learn from, GL
  • edited March 2014
    22nd MARCH:- Much better performance in tonight's freeroll game that I entered - splurged 50pts on the 7pm "£300 Free Cash".

out of the overall total of 515 players, I tonight finished 87th, just 22spots off the prizes! Things seem to be looking up for me! 

Now to decide whether to enter some more competitions with my remaining prize money of £2.20, considering the £2.20 "£250 gtd speed" at 9:45pm or the "£25 gtd" for just half of that at 10:15pm?

UPDATE:-
    with every intention of registering for the £1.10 MTT at 10:15pm, I logged back in to find messages about the site issues and most of the tournament's due to start around that time no longer in the lobby.
  • edited March 2014
    Sund March 23rd:- Overnight I had spotted some good freerolls every two hours from 10:00am until around 2pm. With a poor night's sleep under my belt I missed the first two but managed to enroll myself in the 2pm tournament, having played very well in a play-money tournament elsewhere. 

I finished less than 20 places outside of the prizes, but I am getting very encouraged by my play lately and think it will not be long before I score a prize in a MTT.
  • edited March 2014
    Gary I got your pm but the system doesnt work very well on here. I would deposit £10 and play 10 HU matches at £1.05. Good luck, if you lose a little at first it is to be expected.
  • edited March 2014
    24/3:- No significant play

25/3:- Somewhat of a funny sort of day. I entered into the 12:00pm freeroll and didn't run too well, I think ending up somewhere between 75th-100th. Later in the day I was playing alot better, having honed my skills on the practice tables, and watching the TV show about DYM strategy and reading the blog post that TIKAY put up OBO another player who was also hugely successful in DYM, I decided to enter into a 60p DYM.

got into a couple of spots where I forced myself to play with some good start hands and it worked, as I ended up getting the better of my OPPY by turing 2x pair, and another time where I flopped 2x pair and ended up rivering full-house for a double-through.

In the long run those wins really helped, especially as I took a pretty nasty beat towards the end, big betting on a hand where my "STR8" was out-matched by my OPPY winning with a flush, which I was annoyed at the fact I hadn't spotted there was a chance he/she could have hit.

The S&G finished suddenly after another player lost going all-in and I realised I had lasted long enough to finish third! YAY! GO ME! so I won £1 back from 60p entry (by the time the rake is deducted) and there's me happy with my poker life at present!
  • edited March 2014
    26th March: No S&G's or MTT's played

27th March: This morning I have entered into the £20gtd Noon Freeroll. Temptation was there for me to use 50p of my balance to add-on some chips for either 2,000 or 5,000 but when I weighed up the cost of this and the prize-pool on offer, decided to go on with my original stack.

Ended the tourney in 50th place out of an eventual total field of 286. Not shabby but my MTT is stabilising at just a few positions outside of the prizes. 

Next target:- place 3rd again in a DYM and to get nearer to or just into the prizes for first time (well 1st time proper after I won £5 in a new player F/R but that was with a Generous payout scheme)
  • edited March 2014
    28th Mar:- No Play, other than briefly on the practice/play tables

29th Mar:- FINALLY, had the confidence to start entering myself into some S&G's. I mainly played the 30p turbo variety as I played one and become hooked at the good speed these go at as the blinds creep up real quick and keeps the action lively and fireworks often occur..Here's how I ended up: (gonna set out my results like below from here on in):-

Played 6
    Won 1 (YES! I Won one of them! courtesy of a big win when eliminating the player on the 3rd place bubble)
    Placed 3 (meaning I came 1st-3rd and earned 1/3 payouts thereby doubling my money)
    Lost 2.

So boueyed by my successful results (despite two loses knocking my variance back to 20p) I decide to enter a 60p DYM for my final table of the night. I placed 3/6 and again won a prize, this time £1 back from 60p (Yes Double ur moneys are that but don't forget the variance goes down because you hake to take off the rake fee, which is the second value you see when you look at a buy-in EG £0.50p+£0.10p) entry so took my variance upto a satisfying 80p for the night.. SMALL values but when you are a rookie starting out, I feel it's as much of a buzz as those like Jimb0d1 who are sometimes finishing evenings £30,£40 or £50 up!

• edited April 2014
    To make things easier to read with my DYM reports, I am going to list them in a much simpler format
    GAME:- EG 30p Turbo DYM
    PLYD: Number of games played in
    WON: Number of times I placed between positions 1-3
    LOST: Number of times I placed between positions 1-3
    Variance: List of profit/Loss
    Then I'll conclude each posting/update with my latest Bankroll/balance.
  • edited April 2014
    To make things easier to read with my DYM reports, I am going to list them in a much simpler format GAME:- EG 30p Turbo DYM PLYD: Number of games played in WON: Number of times I placed between positions 1-3 LOST: Number of times I placed between positions 1-3 Variance: List of profit/Loss Then I'll conclude each posting/update with my latest Bankroll/balance.
    Posted by GaryLaud

30th March:- Took part in only 2x games as was up early for work and arrived home late from Mothers Day party at my sisters
    GAME:- 30p Turbo DYM
    PLD: 2
    WON: 1
    LOST: 1
    Variance -£0.10p (Due mainly I think to the "rake")

31st March:-
    PLD: 2
    WON: 0
    LOST: 2
    Var: -£0.60p

GAME:- 60p DYM
    PLD 1
    LOST 1
    TTL VAR -£1.20

To start the evening I decided to enter a 60p standard 5minute blind DYM. Gameplay seemed to move very slowly with little progress being made on player chip-stacks either way. Eventually when things did get moving I seemed to be card-dead for much of the game and when I did get myself a half decent hand I ended up shoving with J-Q only to run into J-K and ALL the cards in the middle with no help!

Card-dead seemed to continue into the 30p DYM's too and in one spot I suffered a similar bad beat by runing into Pocket A's when shoving with my A-J off-suit! 

My worst performance yet, not winning (placing in top three) a single game! oh the swings of poker eh?

NEW BR: £1.90
  • edited April 2014
    After my bad losses the other evening, confidence in my game is at a low point at the moment, and I've only really had the frame of mind to play in the F/R's - Although I am delighted to report that due to my post's on the "Build a Bankroll" topic of the forum, RICHORFORD (Sky TV) has given me a seat into next Tuesday's 8pm Main event! 

1st Apr
    12pm F/R £20 Gtd - 212th Pos
    Entered the 12pm "F/R GTD £20" as I couldn't safely enter the 2pm as I had a meeting in town - played very lousy indeed and finished the tournament very quickly in just SEVEN MINS! eliminated after an ALL-IN with J-10 with my oppy turning over J-Q and hitting another Q on the board to finish with Q's.

£2k B/Hunter FR - 42nd Place
    Ran better in this one and played realtively well. .

APR 2ND
    2pm F/R £20 Gtd - 131st 
    Today I entered the 2pm F/R, and one thing I notice with these 10pt afair's is that they are of a turbo format and the blinds increase very quickly - I would play the deepstack but my balance is insufficient to enter and with my present form, I think I will probably end up non-cashing anyway.. Thought I played OK but I need to ensure I pick my spot's a bit better - I am still struggling with what to do when I open with a significant pair (EG K-K or Q-Q or A-A) only to find the flop draw's me dead and Im sitting on a PAIR with other's betting against me!
  • edited April 2014
    After my bad losses the other evening, confidence in my game is at a low point at the moment, and I've only really had the frame of mind to play in the F/R's - Although I am delighted to report that due to my post's on the "Build a Bankroll" topic of the forum, RICHORFORD (Sky TV) has given me a seat into next Tuesday's 8pm Main event!  1st Apr 12pm F/R £20 Gtd - 212th Pos Entered the 12pm "F/R GTD £20" as I couldn't safely enter the 2pm as I had a meeting in town - played very lousy indeed and finished the tournament very quickly in just SEVEN MINS! eliminated after an ALL-IN with J-10 with my oppy turning over J-Q and hitting another Q on the board to finish with Q's. £2k B/Hunter FR - 42nd Place Ran better in this one and played realtively well. . APR 2ND 2pm F/R £20 Gtd - 131st  Today I entered the 2pm F/R, and one thing I notice with these 10pt afair's is that they are of a turbo format and the blinds increase very quickly - I would play the deepstack but my balance is insufficient to enter and with my present form, I think I will probably end up non-cashing anyway.. Thought I played OK but I need to ensure I pick my spot's a bit better - I am still struggling with what to do when I open with a significant pair (EG K-K or Q-Q or A-A) only to find the flop draw's me dead and Im sitting on a PAIR with other's betting against me!
    Posted by GaryLaud

The main event next tuesday is that the £33BH £12k GTD?

If so i assume thats the biggest buy in youve ever played? Have you thought about strategy?

I really like the BH's ME as you get a lot of loose play with people commiting more chips in pots than they should to try and get bounties, whatever you do, DO NOT DO THAT

Play your tighest game ever, play only premium hands, but play them super aggresively..That would be my advice anyway

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Diary of a "Rookie" GaryLaud : The main event next tuesday is that the £33BH £12k GTD? If so i assume thats the biggest buy in youve ever played? Have you thought about strategy? I really like the BH's ME as you get a lot of loose play with people commiting more chips in pots than they should to try and get bounties, whatever you do, DO NOT DO THAT Play your tighest game ever, play only premium hands, but play them super aggresively..That would be my advice anyway
    Posted by alex1229

Yes & No is it the largest I've ever played - Not too long after joining the site, I earned myself a seat in the SAME tournament, on Tuesday 18th March (see earlier posts in this diary)

so yea, I'll go super tight..Plenty of tourney practice for me from here-on I think until the big evening!

• edited April 2014
    APR 2ND 2pm F/R £20 Gtd - 131st  Today I entered the 2pm F/R, and one thing I notice with these 10pt afair's is that they are of a turbo format and the blinds increase very quickly - I would play the deepstack but my balance is insufficient to enter and with my present form, I think I will probably end up non-cashing anyway.. Thought I played OK but I need to ensure I pick my spot's a bit better - I am still struggling with what to do when I open with a significant pair (EG K-K or Q-Q or A-A) only to find the flop draw's me dead and Im sitting on a PAIR with other's betting against me!
    Posted by GaryLaud

CONT:- April 2nd (crrnt BR £1.90)
    This evening I decided to give myself a shot at a couple of 30p dym's. LOST my first one, but I placed in the second..with confidence I could "still do it" I decided to carry on playing and ended up partaking in EIGHT DYM's, playing against "IATEHORSE" in 3 or 4 of them. Here's how my record for the evening finished up=
    PLD: 8
    WON: 5
    LOST: 3
    Var: +£0.10p

NEW BR £2.00

• edited April 2014
    3rd April (Opening B/R £2.00)
    Decided to take on a 60p DYM in standard speed, and although I felt I played it well, didn't quite get the luck and came in 4th, but LOST - thereby my bankroll took a serious hit, after hitting £2.20 at it's highest at one stage.

Played another chunk of 30p DYM's and won my next two, meaning I was SIX STRAIGHT in this type of game but I eventually ended up losing in three of them, and given that I only DYM'd in 4 I ended up the evening on a fairly substantial loss

30p TURBO DYM 
    PLYD: 7
    WON: 4
    LOST: 3

NEW B/R £1.30 (Variance -70p)

What I have JUSt noticed is that without the 60p S&G I would have emerged today with just a -10p, which I feel is a fair reflection on my games today.

• edited April 2014
    FRI 4th April
    NO change in Bankroll (no S&G's entered)

Sat 5th April

SESSION 1: Afternoon:- 
    S&G's
    P 5 
    W 2 
    L 3 
    VAR -£0.50p
    NEW BR: £0.80p

£500 G/Ntnl Freeroll
    Finished 134/877 
    Bubble 89th (NO Prize won)

SESSION 2: Evening/Nightime
    7pm I-Pad Air F/R
    Finished 241/1208 total entrants
    Bubble: 129th (NO prize won)

• edited April 2014
    SUN 6th APR
    7pm I-Pad Air F/R
    Finished 408/2063 total entrants!
    Bubble: 211th (NO prize won)

NB:-I had around 1200 chips left after stupidly betting into an opponent with AJ off, and losing around 2/3rds of my stack (had around 3.5k in chips before).

My Exit hand, I was dealt aces and shoved immediately. I was called by an opponent who had paired 9's.. I was doing OK until the river come's and it was a NINE! 

I was like wow, I had aces and they didn't hold!
  • edited April 2014
    SUN 6th APR 7pm I-Pad Air F/R Finished 408/2063 total entrants! Bubble: 211th (NO prize won) NB:-I had around 1200 chips left after stupidly betting into an opponent with AJ off, and losing around 2/3rds of my stack (had around 3.5k in chips before). My Exit hand, I was dealt aces and shoved immediately. I was called by an opponent who had paired 9's.. I was doing OK until the river come's and it was a NINE!  I was like wow, I had aces and they didn't hold!
    Posted by GaryLaud

SUND 6th Session 2:
    30p DYM's 
    PL 4
    CSHD  1
    LOST 3
    VAR £-0.70

NB:- WELL, bankroll challenge #1 "Build up from £5 F/R winnings" has come to an abrupt end, after my last two sessions have resulted in a serious loss to my BR - since I started monitoring it around 1wk ago, I hit the heady hight's of £2.40 on thursday afternoon, I've lost many S&G's although I also blame myself for wrongly stepping upto a 60p dym and losing that as well. 

I've also hit some rock bottom luck tonight, being dealt aces and ending losing the hand both times!!! 

Am now possibly going to make myself a desposit for the first time onto sky poker so I can continue to enjoy playing on the site, and probably to re-start my challenge again from scratch.

• edited April 2014
    Tuesday 8th Apr
    Nm: £20 Gtd F/R (10pts B/I)
    Placed: 47/306
    Bubble: 39th

First gameplay since my demoralising losses recorded recently in 30p DYM. Was a late registrant, after I was unavailable at 2pm thanks to men turning up to deliver our new/replacement dishwasher, meant I was away from my M/C at the tourney start!!!

Thought I did quite well - Event was a turbo 3min blind afair, but courtesy of a nice pot mid-way through and lasted into the 3min Scheduled break. It was a re-buy but you have to pay 50p for more chips which I always don't do because of the trade-off value of these against the winnings on offer.

I think I may have lasted long enough to cash on this one, had I decided to shove my Pocket 8-8's although found it difficult to follow through after I had another playr shove in front of me - began to think he/she had a higher pair - HAD I shoved, I might have got lucky, who knows?

Restored a little faith & confidence in my game - let's see how the turbo open goes later tonight?

• edited April 2014
    Tuesday 8th Apr Nm: £20 Gtd F/R (10pts B/I) Placed: 47/306 Bubble: 39th First gameplay since my demoralising losses recorded recently in 30p DYM. Was a late registrant, after I was unavailable at 2pm thanks to men turning up to deliver our new/replacement dishwasher, meant I was away from my M/C at the tourney start!!! Thought I did quite well - Event was a turbo 3min blind afair, but courtesy of a nice pot mid-way through and lasted into the 3min Scheduled break. It was a re-buy but you have to pay 50p for more chips which I always don't do because of the trade-off value of these against the winnings on offer. I think I may have lasted long enough to cash on this one, had I decided to shove my Pocket 8-8's although found it difficult to follow through after I had another playr shove in front of me - began to think he/she had a higher pair - HAD I shoved, I might have got lucky, who knows? Restored a little faith & confidence in my game - let's see how the turbo open goes later tonight?
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Would be good if you posted some hands, maybe big pots you lost, or won, maybe ur exit hand? then we can give u some guideance
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Diary of a "Rookie" GaryLaud : Would be good if you posted some hands, maybe big pots you lost, or won, maybe ur exit hand? then we can give u some guideance
    Posted by alex1229

What sort of posting are you after Alex?
    Hands from this afternoon's FREEROLL, or my DYM's? general winning/Losing Hands?
    If so where do you want them - On here or in the Poker-Clinic section of the forum??
    Regards
    Gary
  • edited April 2014
    If you post hands here i'm sure we can help with anything. Good luck in the Turbo tonight, i'll say hello if i see you :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Thanks Matt
    I'll dig out a series of losing & winning hands and get them posted ASAP. I'll start with today's one where I folded pocket 8's.
  • edited April 2014

I have had to heavily edit this because at present, the site is not uploading the playing card graphics, just showing them as web-links, so have written these in

Have only Just noticed this, but something tells me in this hand, my Oppy had flopped a flush?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    BSmall blind 500.00500.009880.00
    pBig blind 1000.001500.0038875.00
     Your hole cards
      8H 8D

PCall 1000.002500.005500.00
    sFold    
    DFold    
    GaryLaud BTNCall 1000.003500.00550.00
    BFold    
    pCheck    
    Flop