You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

GaryLaud's diary TEMP SELF SUSPENSION (as at Fri June 20th, 2014)

Comments

• edited May 2014
    HI gary, spoke too you once before on ricorfords diray and glad too see your progress and how u are getting on, 

I have not been on much since you came too skypoker been mega busy with other things, but glad too your diary is kept going staying on top of it,

Hope your BR is building steadily and things run well for you.

Seen you where nominated in the TOTP;s aswell nice one!

good luck with your challenges and miby see u at the tables.
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: GaryLaud's diary + May Challenge:
    CAN I THROW MY LAPTOP ACROSS THE ROOM PLEASE? This is basically the feeling I have at present. I have this evening played in 5 DYM Sit/Go's and have failed to cash in EVERY ONE, even being FIRST eliminated in my most recent game.. Seemed what-ever I tried, I was destined to fail; Got virtually blinded out having sat there pressing FOLD numerous times haveing been dealt total and utter BS cards, and having pressed fold, having seen myself would have flopped, turned or rivered at least two pairs, sets, flushes etc...Yet when a reasonable hand comes along like AJ, QK, QA, JJs I somehow fail to flop anything and when I did try and bet, found my opponent ended up with anything from JJ's to AA's and Straight/Flushy draws on the board... With my current mind-set I just gonna go and pack-it-in for tonight, and sit and watch the europa league final :(
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Hey, post up some exit hands? What kind of stack size do you get blinded down to before you start panicking? Patience is good for DYM's. Also if your struggling post flop how to play your hands, if blinds are 100/200 etc and you get dealt AJ, just go all in pre flop, much better then min raising getting called then out played post flop
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Alex. 
    This was HAND NO 1 of the day...Pocket Jacks...Okay YET AGAIN my BIG error is doing nothing/very little preflop...No wonder though...I keep hearing/reading about getting value for your hands, and am being told to raise up the premium hands..When I do...FOLDS All around and I collect scant rewards in the blinds...If I am going to collect the blinds then why not have folds all around when im in the big-blind..

I often wonder if there was some cheating going on tonight too...at one stage I had KK's whilst in the BB..FOLDS all around AGAIN!

Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance
    TerryT1878 Small blind   10 10 1990
    george49 Big blind   20 30 1980
      Your hole cards Jc      
    Jh
    phil57 Fold        
    GaryLaud Raise   60 90 1940
    ra1d Fold        
    muggywire Fold        
    TerryT1878 Call   50 140 1940
    george49 Call   40 180 1940
    Flop
        Qc      
    Kd
    8d
    TerryT1878 Check        
    george49 Check        
    GaryLaud Check        
    Turn
        10h      
    TerryT1878 Bet   20 200 1920
    george49 Call   20 220 1920
    GaryLaud Call   20 240 1920
    River
        2d      
    TerryT1878 Bet   20 260 1900
    george49 Call   20 280 1900
    GaryLaud Call   20 300 1900
    TerryT1878 Show Qh      
    9s
    george49 Muck 8c      
    As
    GaryLaud Muck Jc      
    Jh
    TerryT1878 Win Pair of Queens 300   2200
  • edited May 2014
    Here's another hand part way through my first game. I'm dealt 99's. I only call the opening bet...Im now fuming with myself as I write this.. no wonder why tonight's been failure....NO aggressiveness in my play AT ALL! WHAT am I running scared of???

I am having to drop these hands into EXCEL in order to get them to post properly and then just write in the suit and are adding rows for my comments...Works quite well TBF

Player
    Action Cards Amount Pot Balance
    GaryLaud Small blind   50 50 1615
    ra1d Big blind   100 150 2520
      Your hole cards 9D      
    9c
    TerryT1878 Fold        
    phil57 Fold        
    GaryLaud Call WHY??? 50 200 1565
    ra1d Check        
    Flop
        4h      
    5s
    Jc
    GaryLaud Check        
    ra1d Bet   100 300 2420
    GaryLaud Call   100 400 1465
    Turn
        Ah      
    GaryLaud Check        
    ra1d Bet   200 600 2220
    GaryLaud Call   200 800 1265
    River
        3d      
    GaryLaud Check        
    ra1d Bet   800 1600 1420
    LOOKS TO ME LIKE OPPY HAS A STR8?
    GaryLaud Fold        
    ra1d Muck        
    ra1d Win   800   2220
    ra1d Return   800 0 3020
  • edited May 2014
    Exit hand from 60p DYM#1. Looks very much to me like I was trying to stay patient but one way or another, including a pot where I ran my 99's into the str8 above, and then raise QK and missed the flop ATG...By the time I got to this stage it was basically me needing two or three double ups just to get even with all three opponents left with 2x-3x's as many chips as me :( can't but think I perpahs should have ALL In'd the 99's as this other than hands like below was the best hand I'd seen since hand #1.

Player
    TerryT1878 Small blind   75 75 3155
    phil57 Big blind   150 225 5360
      Your hole cards Ah      
    Js
    GaryLaud All-in   440 665 0
    ra1d Call   440 1105 2380
    TerryT1878 Fold        
    phil57 Fold        
    GaryLaud Show Ah      
    Js
    ra1d Show Qd      
    Jc
    Flop
        Kh      
    10d
    7c
    Turn
        6d      
    River
        AD      
    ra1d Win Straight to the Ace 1105   3485
  • edited May 2014
    Here we got to the situation where I had flopped 1x pair, of Jacks. I got called by one of THREE VERY LARGE stacks left in. I had abbout 1100 chips before the hand started and was in the BB..and was prepared to shove anyway. VERY strange dynamic that I have rarely seen where ALL of the remaining players are stacked above 3k chips against the shorty, myself on around 1k. Two of them clearly accrued this by eliminating players?? I'll have to carefully go through these hands one at a time to establish as to what the dynamic of the table was and wether I could have played any differently to become one of the larger stacks...or if it was one of those where it was simply..wasnt  to be - which is my overal feel of the evening..

Player
    m15t3ry Small blind   200 200 3565
    GaryLaud Big blind   400 600 705
      Your hole cards Jc      
    8s
    harwood1 Fold        
    Enigma64 Fold        
    m15t3ry Call   200 800 3365
    GaryLaud Check        
    Flop
        3d      
    4c
    Jd
    m15t3ry Bet   400 1200 2965
    GaryLaud All-in   705 1905 0
    m15t3ry Call   305 2210 2660
    m15t3ry Show 3h      
    3s
    GaryLaud Show Jc      
    8s
    Turn
        9d      
    River
        Ah      
    m15t3ry Win Three 3s 2210   4870
  • edited May 2014
    One thing I'm noticing is that as I go through and analyse the play...I've played in three turbo DYM's and it would appear that because the structure is SO FAST and one only begins with 1000 chips, it seems to me that unless you can get a big boost early doors, or have player eliminated in front, then it makes life very difficult to just sit n play tight which would be a good idea in a normal structured DYM.

So I think from now on, I'm gonna stick by the standard DYM's. YES that will erode my small BR quicker but I feel given time, and PRACTICE it'll eventually "come"
  • edited May 2014
    Ill help post some thoughts when i wake up :)
  • edited May 2014
    Hey Gary, had a look through yours hands

Hand 1- you raised a good amount, got some callers, bad flop, checked the flop, called the turn for a straight draw, tbh you did nothing wrong, you had a good hand, got outflopped then after that its about losing the minimum/folding it. just got UL no biggie

Hand 2 - How you should play, Raise to 300, (like you raised with JJ to 60 from 20) Then bet flop about half pot, if he calls ease off and just check it down, no point calling here with a A&J on the board ur likely to be behind

Hand 3 - Thats just UL but thats what happens when you get short stacked your more likely to get called, which we dont want, just go all in with J10/ 910/ suited cards in posistion before you get to low, cos then people will call u with trash and get lucky

Hand 4 - Again its pretty unlucky, top pair vs set, cant get to down about it

• edited May 2014
    Hand 1 just fold on the turn really but no big deal.

Hand 2 also fold on the turn i think. Pot sized bet on the river looks more like AJ than a straight. You have to think what 2x does he have in his range to triple barrell.

Hand 3/4 is fine.
  • edited May 2014
    NOW THATS THE WAY THE GAME SHOULD BE PLAYED!

I am hoping that last night's (Thur 15/5) progress is a sign of things to come! After much bedtime reading and reading the forums, I came to realise that perhaps, I'm playing a little too scared and not willing to "go for the juggular" when I should be doing so...Also despite them being good fun and relatively short, am now wondering why I bother with the turbos??

SO, Last night I took back on the standard 60p DYM, realising I'd got a bit unlucky in a cpl of spots on weds and was playing "running scared"

Talk about transformation...I was like a footy team who'd just had a rocket up the backside by thier manager at half time...I came out with all guns blazing and by the time I was ready to play my PM session, I'd done 2 games during the day and was 2/2! 

The strong form continued into the night and I finished my session (as planned) at 10:30pm with four games complete and managed to cash in ALL FOUR! 100% Win, rate and a decent (well for me it is £1.60) profit :)

PALES in comparison to the HIGH STAKES featured on TV but we all begin somewhere!?
  • edited May 2014
    "ITS JUST VARIANCE"
    That's a phrase I can easily use to sum-up the past three days play on Sky Poker!

After not "winning" (cashing) a single DYM on Wednesday (14/5), I had the exact opposite on thursday and made back a large chunk of my losses, whilst cashing 4/4 DYM's.

Then yesterday I managed just two DYM's, 60p Standard level and the first one I was probably destined to lose (How tough can it be when you are card dead most of the game with cards like 83o)..

The second, I feel like I pretty much "Threw it away" after scooping a treble-up with a full-house, I somehow contrived to end up finishing 4th from a position where I was second in CHIPS! 

Will look at the hand-history as I think I may have become complacent and ended up becoming too loose...
  • edited May 2014
    Was watching some games taking notes(not in mood to play) and just watched you effectively blind out?Going down to 250 chip 600/300 then finally shoving q6?
    Have you read john conners dym blog?
    Shoving any 2 in an unopened pot when the blinds verses stack sizes is key to retaining a playable stack.And whats with the clock play?Running the clock down has its time & place,but every hand?Even when it is going to put the blinds up to 600/300 & you are in the big blind next hand with a stack of 1150 seems a bit suicidal to me.
    Don't mean to be down on you blinding out is something you should never let happen with a playable stack.Would rather go out shoving the btn 7 2 o/s than blind out.
  • edited May 2014

Hi Gary. The top five hands is far too narrow a range to be playing, even early on in a DYM. Don't necessarily isolate your own hand strength as the only factor to consider. Position and stack size matter too. Poker would be very simple (and a little boring) if we were to be as regimented about our moves as you are suggesting here.

Getting dealt rubbish cards? Well, see that guy who keeps on raising pre-flop? There's just as much chance that he's been getting rubbish cards too, but he's putting pressure on everyone else. Sometimes the numbers on the cards don't matter as much as you'd think.

• edited May 2014
    Game dynamics do come into play picking spots & hands.If you have a player to your left playing & calling any 2 cards running like Usain & stacked yes you need to snugg up.But even then you will eventually need to bite the bullet to keep an average or close to as poss stack.
    The game I was watching no one was getting out of line.
    You went from 2.5k to 250 chips winning 1 hand(for 1 bb) I can remember letting a few unopened btn's & cut-off's go.
    Being 5 handed does make it a bit more awkward but the same rules apply not to get to short that you are easily called or a double up makes little difference to where you stand compared to the rest of the table.
    This is from John Connors guide.Me I can go 1 bb less on each of stacks quoted in the shoving table (depending on the game)
    Not trying to get on your case.I am not a player of any note here just my opinion having played a few games with you & a lot at this level.So feel free to ignore.

The following table shows the stage where I think you are desperate and need to make a move before the blinds hit you once more (e.g. if your chip stack is lower than the one stated then I recommend shoving 8-3 UTG the next hand):  

Your chip stack:

Big Blind:
  • edited May 2014

FAILED EXPERIMENTS (Weds)

After deciding to mix-it-up a little bit, following some light reading of how other people got their lives truely started here on Sky, I got into reading GARYQ'S Story of how he has spun up £50 into massive profits.

After receiving a message of support from him I decided to hit the HU S&G's...Not after I made a brief attempt at Lambert's DYM Ladder challenge...Ended up crashing out Level 2.

So, an evening session of 5 games followed against the same opponent and I won 2...More disasterous results followed later that night when I couldn't BINK a single HU match, topped it off with 2 str8 fails at DYM's too.. OH DEAR!

• edited May 2014

BETTER TIMES-TURN IT AROUND (Thurs)

So much reading and a re-visit to Johnconnor's DYM guide followed and then some practice during the afternoon hours... Finally after dinner I signed myself into my first DYM...Cashed it...Second...Cashed it..

A forum friend, Matt237 came and railed one of my DYM's and found me sitting pretty on 4000 chips - "What's going on here - thought Gary was struggling" he must of thought! Well I'd just hit a luckbox spot, calling with KJ to two short-stacks who'd just gone ALL IN...and my KJ held to knock BOTH out..cemented ANOTHER cash!

Matt then joined me for my last three DYM's of the evening. first and last were long-winded afairs, we both cashed in the first two games...

Then in the second game some serious hands in the early going, and we ended up with an elimination! Then a few hands later three players are all-in and its “good-night nurse”..DYM conluded before hardly a ball had been kicked! I Like those ones! :D

The third and final DYM of the night was a more tougher afair, and more like the kind of game I am used to - Big Boost early on when I tried the same after getting AA's..and got rid of one..then the rest of the table really tightened up..another player gone and we were four left heading into the later stages..the short stack luckboxed the river in three straight hands, for flushes, str8's and more and then all of a sudden I'm the shorty and ended up getting out-beat to end what in short was a very, very positive and encoraging night..

6 DYM's were played and I cashed in 5. Can't argue with that, and a significant chunk of wednesdays losses and ill feeling erased!

• edited May 2014
    Then in the second game some serious hands in the early going, and we ended up with an elimination! Then a few hands later three players are all-in and its “good-night nurse”..DYM conluded before hardly a ball had been kicked! I Like those ones! :D 
    Posted by GaryLaud

Message on the way too.
  • edited May 2014
    Good going. Am a silent reader but offering my support. Hope the good fortune continues in DYM's (I need it myself sometimes)
  • edited May 2014
    CONTINUED PROGRESS!
    Well when I last posted to this diary I'd just come off from a session of playing a run of DYM's with another forum REG, cashing a large quantity of them.

It's quite pleasing to report that my good progress did continue...Friday, I managed just TWO DYM's due to various reasons but I managed 50% in them 1x Fail, 1x Cash.

Saturday, again I played in only a few DYM's but this time I achieved my second 100%  day, cashing in all the DYM's I played.

SUND: With plenty to watch on TV and plenty of events going on Locally I didn't play any "competative" poker at all, but managed my first final table on another site where I dabble on the play-money tables ONLY..

MOND/TONIGHT
    Using my profits from Saturday I played in DTD#2, a £1.10 B/I deepstack tourney, the monday equivilent of the usual 7:45 deepie.

Don't think I played very good in this one, lost a fair bit of time having been called away at one stage but as it was a deepstack not much of my balance had disappeared by the time I came back..

Not much going on in this one and when I shoved whilst getting low, I failed to get a call, and when I did get a call to my ALL In, I ran into a set of tens for my eventual elimination in 65/184. I KNOW I can play better esp with recent results in the daily Turbo FR's where I am coming close to cashing, the only problem with these is that the balances are very low until you reach final table territory...

Very much a question of whether it's sometimes worth shelling out the addon, just to come a few spots higher and break even, or as in my case recently, adding on only to scrape barely into the money..halving my outlay!
  • edited May 2014
    WEEKLY CHALLENGE #4 COMPLETE
    BR CHANGE: -£2.35
    Well my weekly challenge is complete and time to review the week in general.

No play Monday as planned due to family funeral, and then a B/Even day before the implosions on Wednesday due to experimenting around with differing game types cost me around 1/5 of my BR!

Made good steps towards the end of the week to reverse the trend significantly. According to my log, my last two thursday's have resulted in very good results...will need to look at whether this might be an ideal night to play some of the other MTT's around - perhaps the 2005 B/Hunter??

On further review of my daily BR movements for may, the results are showing less & less red entries towards the end of may - proving the apparent progress made!
  • edited June 2014

Well end of another week on Sky Poker (well for me anyway – doubtful I'm playing Sunday but will probably be around for chatting/comments).

I must admit even despite the fact when I looked at things on Friday, it looked like I was actually doing quite well for the past couple of weeks – I must have been dreaming, as I clearly haven't done too good, and including the £1.10 Deepstack on monday, I logged arguably my WORST week in May, despite feeling quite good about things on Thursday/Friday.

Most of the week apart from Tuesday I've been the wrong end of 50% Win-rate and logged 40% and under for the remaining three days, just when I was starting to iron out my leaks I felt...

Alas though, it's not as depressing reading as the end of April had because I still have a reasonable bankroll and know I have a reasonably decent game for the level of DYM I am at (as that's ALL I am at present, a DYM player, who dabbles in MTT's but rarely has the skill OR LUCK to end up cashing).

• edited June 2014

MAY CHALLENGE COMPLETE!!!

Well I set myself up a “Challenge” at the start of may and I'll now post my review and comment on how I feel I did and summarise where I think my play is at presently.

MAY TARGETS:-

1. BR – Increase from £6 to £12

2. Play sufficient volume to earn 100 ppts

3. Cash in 1x MTT

4. Earn win-rate of > than 50% of games played.

#1 – This took care of itself on day #2 when I was nominated (Very Kindly) by Larson7 to take part on the “Top of the Posts” STT, a competition where players are nominated for their commitment to the forum and as a thank you earn a little bankroll boost with even 6th place taking home a prize. I finished 3rd in this for a very welcome boost of £25!

#2 – Earning 100ppts, which turned out to be pretty easy and with the very high volume of Turbo DYM's I put in early month I coasted to success here

#3- See #1 but although the TOTP cash was indeed my ONLY cash in the month I did come very close on a few occasions to winning small prizes from the £20Gtd F/R that I sometimes play at lunchtimes.

4# Earn Win-Rate of 50% or greater at DYM's.

Funny one this target – I finished with a percentage of around 45% which was marred by a relatively LOSING record left-over from the many turbo DYM's I was unsuccesful at early month. I then quickly learned how to play the slower standard variety and finished the month on these at around 53%.

SUMMARISING MAY

So how do I feel I've done in my “May Challenge” well in Very Critial fashion, it's not a total Disaster, but it's not pretty by any means. On a weekly basis I've kept running totals of my BR movement and each and every week I'm logging losses anywhere between £2.50-£4, which would suggest on General I'm quite a losing player – confirmed by when I look at my Sharkscope profile, I currently have the “Fish” Icon displayed next to myself, which makes very poor reading...Anyone who looks at this, they must be rubbing their hands with Glee when they see me at their table.

So what now? WELL I can definitely say that playing with another forum regular has helped my game somewhat, but from the results of the past few days, it shows I've got a lot of HARD WORK and READING to do before I can consider myself any sort of a reasonable player and begin to get rid of my “Fish Image”

I for ONE will be staying WELL AWAY from the cash tables, unless I can set aside part of my BR to specifically enroll on the master-cash tables in the vain hope that I can get my play analysed by one of the TV Show's.

BIG few days coming up for me in the early stages of June... Monday 2nd is DTD deepstack day and I'm definitely playing DTD#2 which has just a £1.10 B/I and is usually a much bigger field than the usual £100Gtd Deepstack which kicks off daily at the same time.

Tuesday is a repeat of the TOTP'S, but this time it's the NEW annual afair where ALL previous players are invited for a return rematch, with just top six being paid AFAIK.

Wednesday is the game everyone wants to play ATM, Rainman's 2.20 @ 2:20 deepstack. He's invited all the well known players from Sky Poker and the forum to come along and give this game a go, and FWIW, it doesn't look at this stage that I will have found work by then, so I'll be playing too as I've also been amazingly invited..so YES I expect to report a hammered BR by the time I review my play next week!!!! 

• edited June 2014
    Good work Gary, it sounds like you've maybe found your niche with the standard DYMs - undoubtedly one of the best learning games that Sky offer and hopefully you can build on that 53% win rate and run the roll up a little.

Have you set yourself any goals for June or is it too early for that at the moment?

Disappointed I have no chance to donate to Rainman's tourni this week, it's shaping up to be a really fun couple of hours by the sound of it!
  • edited June 2014
    Well done Gary keep up with the DYMs but at the micro stakes the rake eats into your bankroll. i am a mailnly DYM player. I decided to study and concentrate on them this year i started with a £20 BR and now have about £800 playing mainly £3 and £5 DYMs i find them fascinating and enjoy making money on them. I now play  the occasional £10 buyins. I am by no means an expert but i am sure you can succed with them with a good strategy.

Good luck
  • edited June 2014
    Good work Gary, it sounds like you've maybe found your niche with the standard DYMs - undoubtedly one of the best learning games that Sky offer and hopefully you can build on that 53% win rate and run the roll up a little. Have you set yourself any goals for June or is it too early for that at the moment? Disappointed I have no chance to donate to Rainman's tourni this week, it's shaping up to be a really fun couple of hours by the sound of it!
    Posted by shakinaces
    Hi "Shaky"
    Athough I've yet to decide on targets for June I'll still be tracking my BR movement throughout the Month, and yea I think that I can indeed work upon getting that 53% win-rate up some more.

And yes wednesday's looking like a very interesting couple of hours!

• edited June 2014
    Well done Gary keep up with the DYMs but at the micro stakes the rake eats into your bankroll. i am a mailnly DYM player. I decided to study and concentrate on them this year i started with a £20 BR and now have about £800 playing mainly £3 and £5 DYMs i find them fascinating and enjoy making money on them. I now play  the occasional £10 buyins. I am by no means an expert but i am sure you can succed with them with a good strategy. Good luck
    Posted by spinky6108
    Hi Spinky
    Thanks for your comments. Yea I know about the Rake eating into the BR whilst playing Micro-Stakes DYM's, But first I gotta learn how to become a winning player and start to formulate some more break-even/profit days of play, as I've had far too many losing days during may!

With my limited BR, There's No way I feel anywhere  near ready to jump upto trying out £3 DYM's, especially with my BR meaning I would only be able to tackle a handful of these!

I would prefer to stick to the cheaper games initially whilst I hone my skills and learn how to become a winning player, as just by keeping my spreadsheet going, it's showed, very evidently that I still have LOADS to learn when it comes to playing poker and playing DYM's.

Hopefully soon I can then start to see Profit day's happening more & more often, and then start to see the BR moving in a positive direction, which although It certainly hasn't done, I am  pleased to report that I've had nowhere near the catastrophic damages which occured at the end of April when I was battling with the Cash tables....even at 2p/4p level, they are a brutal beast!

GL in your own endevours, thanks for reading and posting on my thread!

Regards
    Gary.
  • edited June 2014
    STARTING JUNE
    Well I started June without ANY play as was with friends all day out of town and didnt feel up to any competative poker and wanting to save my BR for days ahead.

Tonight (Mond 2nd) I took part in the first of my three planned MTT's this week, DTD #2 a 5000 chip (250 bigs) Deepstack. Played it last week and finished 65/189..

Tonight was different, felt like I played it as good as I could have done and with just slightly a bit more luck and being a little more risky I am certain I would have got inside the money.

Really quite dissapointed but proud of my result having finished 24/169 with the bubble @ 18th place I can feel happy with my night's play...encouraged somewhat too!
  • edited June 2014
    Just missed out on the money, unlucky,  from what I have read of your diary your improving, and getting down too the late stages of tournaments isnt easy, so conyunue what your doing and you will get there, 

I had a simaler problem when playing tournaments, I found I could get near or in the money quite alot, but I got mega tight near the bubble and played too make at least min cash..... I found this wasnt good.  I had too overcome this problem and I play for the win everytime,  what im saying is if I feel I can get the double up ill take it even on the bubble,  my hand range will widing and although if I get put out on the bubble or before id know I gave it my best shot and played to the best of my ability everytime..

I.know you are trying yoo build your br though ane everycash helps, but I have seen alot more profit through beong a bit riskier as you pur in your post.

Anyway gl and hope you reach your targets for the month.