You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

GaryLaud's diary TEMP SELF SUSPENSION (as at Fri June 20th, 2014)

Comments

• edited April 2014
    This next hand, is my exit hand from saturday's G/N freeroll event. Here i was dealt aces and ran into a set of queens, anything I could have performed different here or just bad luck/bad beat?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    sSmall blind 200.00200.007282.50
    SBig blind 400.00600.005843.75
     Your hole cards
      A(h)  A (c)

GaryLaudAll-in 1220.001820.000.00
    CFold    
    PAll-in 1812.503632.500.00
    BTNFold    
    sFold    
    SFold    
    PUnmatched bet 592.503040.00592.50
    GaryLaudShow

PShow
        9 Clubs,  9 Di's

Flop

5ht  2Sp  8 SP

Turn

3 D

River

9 Hr

PWinThree 9s3040.00 3632.50
    • edited April 2014
      I have discovered if you drag & drop into XL it makes life much easier for editing purposes, Just need to remember the suit's involved - Here in this situation I am again having my AA's outdrawn, this time toward the end of a 30p DYM.

Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance
      OPPY Small blind   40 40 1065
      BB Big blind   80 120 800
      GaryLaud Your hole cards A cl      
      A hr
      BB Fold        
        Fold        
      GaryLaud Raise   240 360 855
      OPPY All-in   1065 1425 0
      mchotrod4 Fold        
      GaryLaud All-in   855 2280 0
      OPPY Unmatched bet   10 2270 10
      OPPY Show Qh      
      Jc
      GaryLaud Show A cl      
      A hr
      Flop
          9c      
      Qsp
      Jh
      Turn
          6h      
      River
          4d      
      OPPY Win Two Pairs, Queens and Jacks 2270   2280
    • edited April 2014
      Here in this post, is a winning situation, I think from a 30p DYM.

Player
      Action Cards Amount Pot Balance
      SB Small blind   75 75 825
      OPPY Big blind   150 225 940
      GaryLaud Your hole cards Jc      
      Jd
        Fold        
        Fold        
        Fold        
      GaryLaud Call   150 375 460
        Fold        
      OPPY Check        

Flop
          Js      
      2s
      6d
      OPPY Check        
      GaryLaud Check        

Turn
          7c      
      OPPY Bet   150 525 790
      GaryLaud Call   150 675 310

River
          2h      
      OPPY Bet   300 975 490
      GaryLaud All-in   310 1285 0
      OPPY Call   10 1295 480
      OPPY Show Qd      
      Jh
      GaryLaud Show Jc      
      Jd
      GaryLaud Win Full House, Jacks and 2s 1295   1295
    • edited April 2014
      Whenever you get it in pre with AA, in theory you can't really have done much/anything wrong. So I wouldn't concern yourself with your bullets being cracked.

The limp with 88 is more of a concern....
    • edited April 2014
      Congrats on cashing in the turbo open! Unlucky to go out with Kings against AJ.
    • edited April 2014
      In Response to Re: Diary of a "Rookie" GaryLaud:
      Congrats on cashing in the turbo open! Unlucky to go out with Kings against AJ.
      Posted by tom_mull
      Thanks so Much tom! Will add you as a contact on here
    • edited April 2014
      Well done on cashing in the main mate :-)
    • edited April 2014
      The 88 hand is a shove pre flop, you have 1.5 big blinds. One of the most important things in tournament poker always be aware of stack size relative to the blinds. Don't worry about the AA hands, you got them in pre flop, that's the best scenario. Just got outdrawn and unlucky.
    • edited April 2014
      Whenever you get it in pre with AA, in theory you can't really have done much/anything wrong. So I wouldn't concern yourself with your bullets being cracked. The limp with 88 is more of a concern....
      Posted by hhyftrftdr
      Not as concerning as the fold on the flop! ;)

Nice work with the cash Gary. 
    • edited April 2014
      Tuesday 8th Apr Nm: £20 Gtd F/R (10pts B/I) Placed: 47/306 Bubble: 39th First gameplay since my demoralising losses recorded recently in 30p DYM. Was a late registrant, after I was unavailable at 2pm thanks to men turning up to deliver our new/replacement dishwasher, meant I was away from my M/C at the tourney start!!! Thought I did quite well - Event was a turbo 3min blind afair, but courtesy of a nice pot mid-way through and lasted into the 3min Scheduled break. It was a re-buy but you have to pay 50p for more chips which I always don't do because of the trade-off value of these against the winnings on offer. I think I may have lasted long enough to cash on this one, had I decided to shove my Pocket 8-8's although found it difficult to follow through after I had another playr shove in front of me - began to think he/she had a higher pair - HAD I shoved, I might have got lucky, who knows? Restored a little faith & confidence in my game - let's see how the turbo open goes later tonight?
      Posted by GaryLaud
      Tuesday 8th Apr

£5000 "Turbo Open" Main Event
      I took part in tonight's turbo open, as I had a free-entry into it - I've played it before having played on 18th March, and finished aprox 130th some 50 spots off the money.

Survived until break no1 with around 3000 chips to my name, having played i felt pretty well. 

Played pretty much survival poker and got my chips ALL-IN on a few occasions and got lucky more than once! I had J-K Just a couple of minutes before the second break, and I noticed the player amounts were going down rapidly towards the bubble - was my luck going to change? YES!! My J-K held out and I went to the break with around 2.8k in chips.

Noticed the table pause before and I thought...have I done it??? Game info showed 74 left in, but a quick comment in the chat bar, made me realised I HAD! Lobby confirmed it, I had CASHED in the MAIN EVENT!

Got me chips in with 9-6 Suited and they held and I had 5.5k of chips, two hands later it was all over, having been elimintaed with my KK's being outdrawn by A-J. I wasn't too bothered as I had "Won" and the comments showed I was paid out £21.17

What a difference a few days make! My confidence feels like it's been restored a little, now what games to play? 4NL? DYMs? or more MTT's (Am def thinking about spending 10% of my winnings and give that £2.20 deep stack a try!)

• edited April 2014
      In Response to Re: Diary of a "Rookie" GaryLaud : Tuesday 8th Apr £5000 "Turbo Open" Main Event I took part in tonight's turbo open, as I had a free-entry into it - I've played it before having played on 18th March, and finished aprox 130th some 50 spots off the money. Survived until break no1 with around 3000 chips to my name, having played i felt pretty well.  Played pretty much survival poker and got my chips ALL-IN on a few occasions and got lucky more than once! I had J-K Just a couple of minutes before the second break, and I noticed the player amounts were going down rapidly towards the bubble - was my luck going to change? YES!! My J-K held out and I went to the break with around 2.8k in chips. Noticed the table pause before and I thought...have I done it??? Game info showed 74 left in, but a quick comment in the chat bar, made me realised I HAD! Lobby confirmed it, I had CASHED in the MAIN EVENT! Got me chips in with 9-6 Suited and they held and I had 5.5k of chips, two hands later it was all over, having been elimintaed with my KK's being outdrawn by A-J. I wasn't too bothered as I had "Won" and the comments showed I was paid out £21.17 What a difference a few days make! My confidence feels like it's been restored a little, now what games to play? 4NL? DYMs? or more MTT's (Am def thinking about spending 10% of my winnings and give that £2.20 deep stack a try!)
      Posted by GaryLaud
      not sure the 96 suited was a good hand to get chips in with in my opinion... at lease an ace or king there or a pair if short
    • edited April 2014
      In Response to Re: Diary of a "Rookie" GaryLaud : not sure the 96 suited was a good hand to get chips in with in my opinion... at lease an ace or king there or a pair if short
      Posted by upaymenow
      if u gonna play 4nl then id play short stacked as u should have at least 25 buyins minimum to beat the game preferably 40 buyins and with 21 pound full stack u only have just over 4 maybe sit oon micros with 1 pound on each and multitable? that way if u have a downswing u can afford to lose a few buyins...
    • edited April 2014
      Excellent Gary, well done!
      I think you should go for £2.20DYMs and cross your fingers like mad and hope to get up to £50.
      Very good luck! :)
      Ducky
    • edited April 2014
      In Response to Re: Diary of a "Rookie" GaryLaud : if u gonna play 4nl then id play short stacked as u should have at least 25 buyins minimum to beat the game preferably 40 buyins and with 21 pound full stack u only have just over 4 maybe sit oon micros with 1 pound on each and multitable? that way if u have a downswing u can afford to lose a few buyins...
      Posted by upaymenow

I didn't realise that 4NL was referring to the £4 equivilent of the cash tables. I was more referring to the 2p/4p equivilent, which I would imagine typed in short-hand would read something like 0.04NL?

Thanks for your message!

• edited April 2014
      In Response to Re: Diary of a "Rookie" GaryLaud : I didn't realise that 4NL was referring to the £4 equivilent of the cash tables. I was more referring to the 2p/4p equivilent, which I would imagine typed in short-hand would read something like 0.04NL? Thanks for your message!
      Posted by GaryLaud
      4nl is the 2p/4p tables. 
    • edited April 2014

Well done on the cash Gary, gl!

• edited April 2014
      In Response to Re: Diary of a "Rookie" GaryLaud : I didn't realise that 4NL was referring to the £4 equivilent of the cash tables. I was more referring to the 2p/4p equivilent, which I would imagine typed in short-hand would read something like 0.04NL? Thanks for your message!
      Posted by GaryLaud
      yes 4nl is 2p-4p but i pressumed you was going to sit with 4 pounds full stack. i wouldnt reccomend as it is possible to have a 10 buyin downswing on a bad time so having 20+ preferably 40 buyins you can recover from it. GL! :)
    • edited April 2014
      WEDS 9/4
      Following advice from "Upaymenow" I DID take part in some cash tables (2p/4p), but swore to myself I would put-down a maximum of £3 and would leave the table when my losses got to a certain point. Did well for a while but as expected I did lose heavily, although looking back it was only a couple of BIG hands where I lost, (-£1.13) stupidly going crazy with my pocket AA's I failed to notice that there was three spades on the flop. OPPY ended up with a flush. Still, finished not as bad as expected with an overall -£1.87

THURS 10/4
      Later start for me this time as I was out for first part of the evening. Played more 2p/4p and got uber-aggressive (for me anyway) from the start as soon as I got a high pocket pair. Won some decent pots, but also found hands like A-J very tricky and lost quite big with these. 

Pleased with the overall result though and my game feels like it's moving in the right sort of direction. I very nearly broke even for the second hour but lost a huge 48p with my KQ running into AK. 

My evening results then:-

HR 1:  21:30-22:30
      P/L -£0.24p

HR 2: 22:45-23:45
      P/L -£0.50p (only courtesy of THAT big loss of 48p towards the end of my session)
    • edited April 2014
      THAT losing hand where my KQ were busted:-

Player
      Action Cards Amount Pot Balance
        Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £2.76
      VILLAIN Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.36
        Your hole cards Kh      
      Qs
      GaryLaud Raise   £0.16 £0.22 £1.20
        Fold        
        Fold        
        Fold        
      W Call   £0.14 £0.36 £2.62
      VILLAIN Call   £0.12 £0.48 £3.24

FLOP
          3s      
      Ah
      5d

W Check        
      VILLAIN Check        
      GaryLaud Check        

TURN
          5s      

W Check        
      VILLAIN Bet   £0.12 £0.60 £3.12
      GaryLaud Call   £0.12 £0.72 £1.08
      W Call   £0.12 £0.84 £2.50

RIVER
          Ks      

W Fold        
      VILLAIN Check        
      GaryLaud Bet   £0.20 £1.04 £0.88
      VILLAIN Call   £0.20 £1.24 £2.92
      GaryLaud Show Kh      
      Qs
      VILLAIN Show Ac      
      Kd
      VILLAIN Win Two Pairs, Aces and Kings £1.14   £4.06
    • edited April 2014

Gary what's the thinking on the turn on the KQ hand?

On a board of A535 we have KQ facing a bet, what hand do you think he has that we can beat?
    • edited April 2014
      ***And the result's keep coming!****
      Fri 11th April
      £20 Gtd Freeroll
      Runners: 241
      Prize Bubble: 26
      Placed : 13
      Prize Awarded: £0.26p

Took part in the midday freeroll today. Ran really well. Got my chips in on some of the premium hands and got lucky a couple of times when my hand was seemingly behind. For my second MTT in a row, I earned myself a prize, OK today's one was a little one (around 10% of what I earned in the turbo) but it's the manner of the result and my placing in the field which has given me the most confidence. :)

• edited April 2014
      WEDS 9/4 Following advice from "Upaymenow" I DID take part in some cash tables (2p/4p), but swore to myself I would put-down a maximum of £3 and would leave the table when my losses got to a certain point. Did well for a while but as expected I did lose heavily, although looking back it was only a couple of BIG hands where I lost, (-£1.13) stupidly going crazy with my pocket AA's I failed to notice that there was three spades on the flop. OPPY ended up with a flush. Still, finished not as bad as expected with an overall -£1.87 THURS 10/4 Later start for me this time as I was out for first part of the evening. Played more 2p/4p and got uber-aggressive (for me anyway) from the start as soon as I got a high pocket pair. Won some decent pots, but also found hands like A-J very tricky and lost quite big with these.  Pleased with the overall result though and my game feels like it's moving in the right sort of direction. I very nearly broke even for the second hour but lost a huge 48p with my KQ running into AK.  My evening results then:- HR 1:  21:30-22:30 P/L -£0.24p HR 2: 22:45-23:45 P/L -£0.50p (only courtesy of THAT big loss of 48p towards the end of my session)
      Posted by GaryLaud
      Please dont swear by my advice lol, im no pro but ideally u need 25+ buyins for whatever you are sitting with. :)
    • edited April 2014
      GL Gary.

Some good advice to get you started is that for every single street (preflop, flop, turn and river), before you do something think about what the other players have done and WHY they did it, then think about WHY you're going to do what you're about to do.

A good example is the KQ hand above as Dohhh said... why do you think he has bet? More often than not it's because he has at least some kind of hand and wants you to call his bet with a worse hand. When you think of it like that, what possible hand could he have that we beat? ...That's what makes it an easy fold.

• edited April 2014
      Following some excellent results recently in MTT play, my efforts in this weekend's FR's have left ALOT to be desired and they were over for me very quickly despite the slow blind levels - On Sunday I got my chips ALL-IN Calling my OPPY and when the cards were turned over we both had a flush, but they had higher as they had an A in their hand! OOPS! STUPID MOVE GAZ! 

My cash play has improved a fair bit and my early losses have somewhat stagnated although I played like a monkey on saturday, probably because I was doing a JIMBOD and focussing too much on the footy on the radio and not my poker, so a hefty loss the first hour but I pulled a little back in the second with my biggest profit in a single hour session, however not enough to reverse the loss.

SAT 12 APR
      2p/4p Cash Table "Rockingham"
      Variance: -0.45p

Sunday, I didn't play much poker at-all despite wanting to, I was out in the morning for palm Sunday Ringing, and stayed at the service (as one does). Slept some of the afternoon as tired after poor night sleep and early evening was too much distractions going on around me so didn't sign in. Probably had an effect on my FR performance as well.

Managed a quick 30min session before dinner, played ok and registered a small profit.

SUND 13 APR
      2p/4p cash table: Chard
      Profit: 13p

Am certainly going to keep the diary going, but prob a little less so as I feel I am duplicating myself both on here and orford's BR Challenge topic..SO i'll update this a couple of times a week. Next post, prob Tues/Weds. 15-16 apr. 

• edited April 2014
      Hi Gary,

Good to hear it's slowly improving.

Have pinged you a PM after we briefly ended on the same table Sat lunchtime, hope it proves useful.

It was enjoyable to see your enthusiasm for the game at the table, I love poker but admit it doesn't have quite the same buzz as those very first few sessions where you hit highs and lows in every other pot - I guess that side of thing gets marginally dulled a bit after so many times of doubling up with KK, getting AA cracked, mis-reading a hand but sucking out on the river etc - but at the end of the day it's that buzz which poker is all about and for all the chuntering that also comes with the game, what makes it the amazing hobby it can be!
    • edited April 2014
      "BOOOOMMM!"
      That's the sound of my bankroll exploding into little pieces!!! The damage however, is salvagable(However, I don't know about my confidence in playing cash at the minute).

During Monday and Tuesday I took part in SEVEN sessions, and during them seven, from three I emerged with heavy losses of over £1.50 and a small loss in two others of under £0.50p (In Which I didn't appear to play too badly, just played for so long I didn't quite win enough to cover the blinds going through me). The other couple of sessions I finished with a small profit.

Total 2p/4p Losses £6.50!
      Total 2p/4p gains £0.59p

I have spent my free "Gaming" Hours today going through all the hands where I lost (Thanks to Sky Poker's Brilliant hand-history search tool, where you can filter stuff out like this) and have been reviewing what actions I took & when, and even to a relative novice with some knowledge of the game, it actually made quite shocking reading! I have said to myself on a number of occasions things like "Why did I call that spot there?" or "Why was I raising here with that hand?"..

So reviewing stuff is quite good and theraputic, and I am building myself a little list of key points to remember when playing and have a really critical list of points.

To cure some boredom, I have been playing some DYM's which I am currently 3/3 in. This is helping me to restore a little of my confidence, as thanks to profit margin's I've made back £1.20 of my losses playing these.

Next Update:- THURSDAY 17/4 Following Late PM session.
    • edited April 2014
      "BOOOOMMM!" That's the sound of my bankroll exploding into little pieces!!! The damage however, is salvagable(However, I don't know about my confidence in playing cash at the minute). During Monday and Tuesday I took part in SEVEN sessions, and during them seven, from three I emerged with heavy losses of over £1.50 and a small loss in two others of under £0.50p (In Which I didn't appear to play too badly, just played for so long I didn't quite win enough to cover the blinds going through me). The other couple of sessions I finished with a small profit. Total 2p/4p Losses £6.50! Total 2p/4p gains £0.59p I have spent my free "Gaming" Hours today going through all the hands where I lost (Thanks to Sky Poker's Brilliant hand-history search tool, where you can filter stuff out like this) and have been reviewing what actions I took & when, and even to a relative novice with some knowledge of the game, it actually made quite shocking reading! I have said to myself on a number of occasions things like "Why did I call that spot there?" or "Why was I raising here with that hand?".. So reviewing stuff is quite good and theraputic, and I am building myself a little list of key points to remember when playing and have a really critical list of points. To cure some boredom, I have been playing some DYM's which I am currently 3/3 in. This is helping me to restore a little of my confidence, as thanks to profit margin's I've made back £1.20 of my losses playing these. Next Update:- THURSDAY 17/4 Following Late PM session.
      Posted by GaryLaud
      Lack of Evening Free-time and family visit's have somewhat curtailed my poker play at present, and thus far I have managed just 1x 60p DYM since my last update. However I was succesful at it, and cashed to make it 4/4 in my current run of these, hence my BR is finally moving in a positive direction - I just got to make sure I keep playing sensible poker, and keep looking at my notes on my poorer elements of play.

Next opportunity to get some decent poker hours behind me will probably be Tomorrow, when I will likely have most of the afternoon to myself, and also the IPAD FR to look forward to! Might even treat myself to a bounty hunter MTT too!
    • edited April 2014
      In Response to Re: Diary of a "Rookie" GaryLaud : Lack of Evening Free-time and family visit's have somewhat curtailed my poker play at present, and thus far I have managed just 1x 60p DYM since my last update. However I was succesful at it, and cashed to make it 4/4 in my current run of these, hence my BR is finally moving in a positive direction - I just got to make sure I keep playing sensible poker, and keep looking at my notes on my poorer elements of play. Next opportunity to get some decent poker hours behind me will probably be Tomorrow, when I will likely have most of the afternoon to myself, and also the IPAD FR to look forward to! Might even treat myself to a bounty hunter MTT too!
      Posted by GaryLaud

NO poker play on Good Friday 18th, as visiting family during afternoon and then was out for the evening. 

Easter Sat 19/4
      Finally decided to give the social freeroll a go! Turbo format this one, and attracted some 662 runners. I finished the MTT in 262th, NO cash but felt I played OK in this one.. LUCKED out when I was getting short, GII with AJ only to find my OPPY turned over A-A's for the eventual outcome!
      Game: Social F/R
      Placed: 262/662
      Cash: 73rd (Not Achieved)

Next I had a go at the I-PAD F/R. Ran well in this one too, and won several HUGE pots early on meant I was on around just under 5000 chips at break one. However, these quickly ran down being card-dead for pretty much the next hr..Shoved my J-J's into K-9os with stack dwindling.

resultant board meant OPPY paired K's on the turn, and River was no help (Pretty sure I was drawn-dead anyway). Felt disappointed as I really think with some luck I could have cashed this one!

Game: I-PAD FR
      Place: 149/841
      Bubble: 89/841 (Not Achieved)
    • edited April 2014
      After a succesful week, running my BR up from around £12.80 at it's low point on Tuesday, I had it upto £14.99 - SO I rewarded myself by spending my profits to buy-in for a £2.30 Bounty Hunter. Think I picked the wrong night to play as around 15mins in I had to leave the table and wasn't able to return for around half an hr, by which time I'd lost around 50% of my stack. Card-dead for rest of the time, and my resultant shove didnt hold (Didn't expect it would).

Poor luck continued for rest of the night except for a 30p DYM which I cashed. It would seem I've lost ALL my form in the standard 60p DYM's after a run of 6/6, tonight's games in the 60p events were 3 played, 3 lost!

Further review of my bankroll has made comforting reading however, despite the overall balance being lower than where it was Tuesday, it's only due to my playing the B/Hunter...

So overall, quite pleased how the week's gone - Just need to play better on Sunday's/Mondays, as these seem to be when I am losing the most!

• edited April 2014
      Mon 21/4
      Didnt get any poker in until evening. To start with I played in a 60p DYM and scraped through that into third-place. I decided to play a few 2p/4p cash hands until I was called for my dinner, won a decent pot and finished 17p UP when I had to leave the table.

After dinner I resumed my session at the same table as there were several nice members who were very active in the chat-box. 

By FAR my longest single-table session to-date, it lasted four hours start-to-finish and was made all the more entertaining by the fact I shared the same table all evening with the same player - us chatting throughout.

One member who was there for 80% of the time was a nightmare to play against, donking alot of bets in with nothing hands and the odd raise was attracting him many pots.

However before long, most of the table got used to him, was three-bett-raising over the top of him when they did have a genuine hand, and with oppy's calling it meant geniune pots had additional value.

I thought I played really good throughout, and my overall balance never dropped below £2 all night from a forced B/I of just a tad over £4. 

I finished the session some 50p down but I didn't feel that this mattered too much as I lost around 2/3 of that 50p in a pot twards the end my session. 

There was even one spot where I had raised with 2xpr and was re-raised making the calling bet over 50p! I took a long hard look at the board, and folded - was duly delighted to find that the hand reached a conclusion and the winning hand was a str8!

My overall balance/BRoll, for the whole evening actually finished -4p thanks to my DYM win.