You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

GaryLaud's diary TEMP SELF SUSPENSION (as at Fri June 20th, 2014)

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Hi Devon.
    In the nicest of ways, I am now wishing you hadn't of wished me luck!!!! 
    I've just finished my fith DYM of the night and it too has ended in failure, alike ALL the other four..
    Full Diary post to come shortly.
  • edited June 2014
    GaryLaud's DYM poker - Alot like Spanish national side (in one respect - the losing)
    It's amazing when you can consider that last sunday was just FIVE days ago, and I was playing poker on Sky with all the confidence in the world, running deep (albeit without cashing) In MTT's and crushing my 60p DYM.s

Roll on five days later, and to date I'm staring my biggest week loss since I got involved in the cash tables and not being able to hit a single card anywhere, unless I comitt zero chips & Check, check, check down my hand (which miraclulously wins all the time when checking)

I find it hard to remember a session when playing these DYM's where I have gone a whole single run of more than three games without a cash/win - Tonight, I have gone FIVE games without a win, and suffered brutal exits in both MTTs played - a £20 Gtd F/R and the Mini 10 seat FR.

My BR is utterly crippled atm and is sat at barely above £5 which is about enough for around 8 games @ my current 60p level

As for those who keep saying to me "oh play the higher stake games, the rake is killing you" YEAH!?? well if I did that, then a run like this I'd a spun an entire £20 BR away in like just a few hours...when I've enjoyed 2x Months + with a £20 BR.

WHERE do I go from here? I know what the answer would be...deposit, re-start and go on from there. I am not working however and to scrape together what would be a reasonable BR and to take full advantage of the Deposit bonus would take me some time to spin up.

I'm NOT going to be playing any more poker on sky for the forseeable future, until I can sort out in my head as to what's gone so badly, and brutally wrong with my game, and also to give me time to build up enough £££'s to make that inevitable deposit, which i am now going to have to do in order to continue playing on this great site.

with a heavy heart I say these words in what will probably be my own FINAL post on this particular diary..

"Be well" and "Run Good"

For now
    Cyanara all
    GaryLaud
  • edited June 2014
    Gary, come back and play mental dude.

PM me loooooolz , Noooo limping and be aggro ftw
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    emad1960 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £5.75
    davelufc Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £7.68
      Your hole cards

cja9113 Fold     
    matrixxs Fold     
    rayw Raise  £0.16 £0.22 £4.53
    emad1960 Fold     
    davelufc Call  £0.12 £0.34 £7.56
    Flop

• J
    • J

davelufc Check     
    rayw Bet  £0.34 £0.68 £4.19
    davelufc Raise  £1.11 £1.79 £6.45
    rayw Call  £0.77 £2.56 £3.42
    Turn

• A

davelufc Bet  £1.92 £4.48 £4.53
    rayw Fold     
    davelufc Muck     
    davelufc Win  £2.36  £6.89
    davelufc Return  £1.92 £0.20 £8.81
  • edited June 2014
    R Hi gary,

I understand your frustration,  all players go through bad runs, I lost every game yesterday to the point I withdrew my BR and left enough to still and this os the important part..... enjoy my smaller stake games and try and build.

If you lose the enjoyment of the game you will chase and worry and think nothing is going right.  I feel you are now focused on what did I do wrong why I am I not winning, far too much,  u have too enjoy it I feel too win it. I feel we all enjoy your diary but up or dpwn youve tried too improve and get involved, your last post seems like your missing the fun and enjoyment of the game.

Yesterday I couldnt get a break every hand ended up crushed,  then started too get involved on hands I knew I shouldnt,  even down too the last 12 in the 2.20 deepstack 2 off the money I played 2 terrible hands all my fault and donked my chips off.  I know where I went wrong... I wasnt enjoying the game. From the 10 previous mtt's. My br yestrday was at over 450 quid now at 38. Even with this number I was starting too lose feel down and didnt feel right. So im back to building from a small roll.

Poker is fun for players like us and not another income, everybody has lost there roll I would say at somepoint, it might not be your play u might just have had a bad run of cards. 

A break can be good, you never know you might  spin that 5er up, why not drop too the 30p dym turbo games????

When you come back come back with a smile and enjoy your time at the table, never lose the fun factor if you lose this then play another game, all together, 

Destress buddy and hopefully see u back at the tables soon. 

Dont deposit there is still freerolls too be played daily. drop a level with your 5er and take a breath and smile.  pick your spots and if you feel you got it in good the chin up and move on.

Its hard not working and nit beong able too be deposit can suck if you cant play. But give it time,  

Gl

• edited June 2014
    Hi Gary, I havent been following this thread but just read your most recent post now.

Ive played thousands of dyms and its pretty much all I play and just to let you know your not alone in sharing this experience. I have done well in dyms but when I have a bad run it affects my confidence and nothing seems to be going right at times (not a good feeling).

My advice is to judge your play and not your results and be true to yourself when you judge your play. Sometimes you can have a winning day but truthfully play badly......you need to take a mental note that your play was bad and needs to improve in these cases (despite winning!). Similarly if you play well and lose be happy you played well and leave it at that (despite losing and despite the frustration).

Regarding what stakes you play......for me this is simple. If you are making a loss then stick with low stakes until you start winning more than you lose. Once you are winning more than you lose you most move to 2.25 or 3.30 games because in the long run the rake will make a big difference to your profit.

Finally you mention your bankroll and it seems to me perhaps your play is being affected by fear of losing your bankroll. When your playing your bankroll should never even be a thought and if it is then its too low. I suggest to deposit what you can so your comfortable enough to play without your bankroll even coming into your mind.

If your a losing player overall you need to decide how much your willing to lose a week for the entertainment you get from playing.

Id be happy to give more advice if you wish to pm me as there are some tips you can apply to dym play and help improve your success.

Best of luck whatever your decision.

Ger
  • edited June 2014
    Hi Gary, hope to see you back soon, take care, Ducky x
  • edited June 2014
    Hi Gary,
    come back & play the 60p dym's mate...
    good luck, dev

• edited June 2014
    Hi Gary been following ur thread for a while and enjoy reading it. 

I'm not sure even if this is possible or not but maybe you could borrow some money deposit it with Sky get your 100% or 200% bonus whatever it is then withdraw the original deposit and pay it back and then you will have money in your Poker AC. Happy days Poker money sorted and not cost you anything!

Good luck
  • edited June 2014
    Hi, Gary.

Sorry to hear you're so disillusioned with the game you've decided to give up, at least temporarily. I know you had a bad day yesterday, luck turned against you and you lost five in a row. I know how that feels, confidence takes a knock and you think nothing will ever go your way again, but today's another day. You've still got a fiver left, if you play another five games today you might well find it a very different story.

To be honest, I feel a bit responsible for your current state of mind. That crucial hand in your last game of the night when I was the short stack of four remaining players with blinds of 200 - 400 and I shoved A2 as the small blind against your big blind only to find I was up against pocket queens. I got lucky and spiked an ace on the river.  If that hand had gone your way I'd have been knocked out, you'd have cashed and ended the day  feeling much happier.

I know being rivered is gutting, in one afternoon last month I lost five games on the trot and had pocket aces cracked on the river three times in those five games and exited the tournament each time as a result. Next day I won five in a row. The moral of the story is, forget what happened yesterday and start afresh, things will turn in your favour sooner or later.

I also know what being out of work feels like having been made redundant three times, once it was a year before I found another job. I really feel for you, I hope things turn round and you're back in work soon.

Keep your chin up mate, hope to see you back at the tables soon.

All the best,

Ian

• edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: GaryLaud's diary TEMP SELF SUSPENSION (as at Fri June 20th, 2014):
    Hi, Gary. Sorry to hear you're so disillusioned with the game you've decided to give up, at least temporarily. I know you had a bad day yesterday, luck turned against you and you lost five in a row. I know how that feels, confidence takes a knock and you think nothing will ever go your way again, but today's another day. You've still got a fiver left, if you play another five games today you might well find it a very different story. To be honest, I feel a bit responsible for your current state of mind. That crucial hand in your last game of the night when I was the short stack of four remaining players with blinds of 200 - 400 and I shoved A2 as the small blind against your big blind only to find I was up against pocket queens. I got lucky and spiked an ace on the river.  If that hand had gone your way I'd have been knocked out, you'd have cashed and ended the day  feeling much happier. I know being rivered is gutting, in one afternoon last month I lost five games on the trot and had pocket aces cracked on the river three times in those five games and exited the tournament each time as a result. Next day I won five in a row. The moral of the story is, forget what happened yesterday and start afresh, things will turn in your favour sooner or later. I also know what being out of work feels like having been made redundant three times, once it was a year before I found another job. I really feel for you, I hope things turn round and you're back in work soon. Keep your chin up mate, hope to see you back at the tables soon. All the best, Ian
    Posted by 4EVERGREEN
    +1 :') a really lovely post that Ian! Thank you!
    Will be back soon enough..

regards
    gary
  • edited June 2014
    spinky,  you encourage a player that is currently losing to borrow money to chase their losses. Please explain how that can be good advice. That has got to be the worse advice ever and a sure way to be visiting Gamblers Anonymous. 
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: GaryLaud's diary TEMP SELF SUSPENSION (as at Fri June 20th, 2014):
    Hi Gary been following ur thread for a while and enjoy reading it.  I'm not sure even if this is possible or not but maybe you could borrow some money deposit it with Sky get your 100% or 200% bonus whatever it is then withdraw the original deposit and pay it back and then you will have money in your Poker AC. Happy days Poker money sorted and not cost you anything! Good luck
    Posted by spinky6108
    Spinky

you have to generate 1000s of points to get that bonus.

Gary

Play the 30p turbos DYMs

A lot of people will say the rake is too high in these but look at it this way. You will be getting 20% rakeback.

e.g. 5p rake you will get a point which is 1p. Play a couple of 100 of these a month at least you will get a bonus.

I did this for a few months when I was playing micro stakes. the 60p DYMS are no good, either play 30p ones or the 1.15 ones.

If you need any help with DYMs give me a shout I started playing them properly again about 7 - 8 months ago. Send me a private message.

Gerardirl gave me a few small tips as well send him a private message I am sure he will help. 
  • edited June 2014
    Please do not encourage people to lose money they cannot afford to lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited June 2014
    spinky,  you encourage a player that is currently losing to borrow money to chase their losses. Please explain how that can be good advice. That has got to be the worse advice ever and a sure way to be visiting Gamblers Anonymous. 
    Posted by bartoniron
    Maybe you should read Garys actual post before you start slating people's advice. 
  • edited June 2014
    Hi again, Gary.

Working on the theory that nothing cheers you up like hearing of other people's misfortunes (Schadenfreude I think it's called), I thought you'd be interested in my disastrous day. After getting outrageously lucky against you yesterday, the poker gods took their revenge today.

Game 1 QQ v KQ. King on the flop. Out

Game 2 AQ v A 10. 10 on the flop . Out

Game 3 KK v AK. Ace on the flop.    Out

You are not alone, mate.

That's me done for the day, I know when someone up there doesn't like me. I'll just have to take my own advice and try again tomorrow.

Cheers

Ian
  • edited June 2014
    I know the consensus is to encourage you to stay and play....but it's pretty clear it's not financially viable for yourself at the moment. It would be bad to just plough on regardless whilst you're of a fragile mental state (poker wise).

Honestly, I think you're best off coming back to the game when you are in a position to put down a decent wedge of cash, and try and spin it up from there. Even the best players on the site would struggle not to go broke with a bankroll of just a few quid.

In the meantime, I'd read and watch as much poker as possible. Perhaps look at the mental side of the guy, and try and eradicate any leaks/bad habits you have.....limping in for starters!

Use time away from the game to brush up on things, and come back in a better position financially and with a clear head.
  • edited June 2014
    Posted by bartoniron

Well said!!

• edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: GaryLaud's diary TEMP SELF SUSPENSION (as at Fri June 20th, 2014) : Well said!!
    Posted by vinny67
    You also need to read Gary's post before criticising people's advice.
  • edited June 2014
    I tend to agree with hhyftrftdr on this.
    I think you should give up the game as it stands at the moment. For a number of reasons.
    Right now, you're not very good at the game. That's fine, not many people are good when they first start out. The trouble you have, as I see it as curious onlooker with this thread , is that you don't seem to listen to people. Chicknmelt spent some time and wrote some fantastic advice. You don't seem prepared do take on board things that people like him have told you.
    Most importantly though, is that at the stakes you're playing it should all be about enjoyment. Enjoyment appears to be the last thing you're getting from poker. You will become neither rich or poor at 60p Dyms. Enjoyment should be the be all and end  all right now.

However. If you do decide that you want to carry on then I have an offer for you. 
     Dyms are my main game and I've made a few quid at them over the years. 
    If you like, I will watch you play a couple of games and you can talk me through your thought processes. I won't say anything but will make notes and we can talk about it after the game. Then, you can watch me play a few games and I will explain my plays as we go.
    Let me know if this appeals to you
  • edited June 2014
    Good morning Gary
    Like yourself i love paying poker but am not  very good at the moment, but  i play for enjoyment not finacial gain, if you are not enjoying the game at the moment  take a  break.
    I have a copy of the mental game of poker and if you would like it pm and i will post it to you .
    All the best
    Rainman397  
  • edited June 2014
    "As for those who keep saying to me "oh play the higher stake games, the rake is killing you" YEAH!?? well if I did that, then a run like this I'd a spun an entire £20 BR away in like just a few hours...when I've enjoyed 2x Months + with a £20 BR."

gary, the rake IS killing you. your graph has a very recognisable slope, and it is one of someone who is losing only to the rake. here is your graph showing pre-rake winnings / post rake losses in your favorite game: 60p DYMs.

as a comparision here is the same graph of someone who plays in the same games:

as you can see, they wouldnt be a winner even in a rake-free enviroment.

you're a winning player before rake in these games. you are losing only to the rake in your favorite game  - and you are playing the highest raked games on the site. this obviously sucks.

so yah, take some time away to chill out. but when you come back, and if you can afford it, play games where the rake is less extortionate. 60p dyms are damn  near unbeatable. you stand a chance of breaking even / having a free hobby in lower raked games.

and take jac up on his offer. he could charge a decent hourly rate for that type of assistance and regs would take him up on his offer.

have faith and keep learning and enjoying your poker.

good luck
  • edited June 2014
    as an aside. gary's graph and subsequent self-exclusion serves to show just how shocking the rake is at the micros. new players can be pretty big winners pre rake yet horrendous losers once sky have taken their huge slice. i cant see how this encourages novice players who might depost a few quid to 'see how it goes'.

seems like sky drains all liquidity out of that player pool, and it might be counter-productive if people like gary are self excluding as they feel like they cant improve in what is likely to be an unbeatable format [certainly for newer players] due to the unusually high rake.

ho hum, innit

• edited June 2014
    as an aside. gary's graph and subsequent self-exclusion serves to show just how shocking the rake is at the micros. new players can be pretty big winners pre rake yet horrendous losers once sky have taken their huge slice. i cant see how this encourages novice players who might depost a few quid to 'see how it goes'. seems like sky drains all liquidity out of that player pool, and it might be counter-productive if people like gary are self excluding as they feel like they cant improve in what is likely to be an unbeatable format [certainly for newer players] due to the unusually high rake. ho hum, innit
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Been said for years.Reduced rake should attract new players increase player pool & get those already playing more.
    Or keep it as it is with a shrinking micro player pool.
    I've played micros stt's for years.Summer or winter any time after 11am you could get a game in 5-10 mins.But nowadays you can wait 20-30+ until late afternoon when things start pick up a little. 
    Skys position has been made very clear.
  • edited June 2014
    his graph is crazy.

pre rake its a lovely uphill incline. post rake it's the exact mirror image.

i'd expect a decent  pre rake winner who isn't quite beating the games to the point where he is profiting post-rake to maybe break even after rake; not an ugly downward slope.

how may other players must feel like they are hitting a brick wall of playing decently well, being better than the players around them, yet keep losing money. as gary said it hardly inspires you to deposit more and play slightly higher limits [where he'd actually putting more £'s in rake into the site].

for shame.

• edited June 2014
    as an aside. gary's graph and subsequent self-exclusion serves to show just how shocking the rake is at the micros. new players can be pretty big winners pre rake yet horrendous losers once sky have taken their huge slice. i cant see how this encourages novice players who might depost a few quid to 'see how it goes'. seems like sky drains all liquidity out of that player pool, and it might be counter-productive if people like gary are self excluding as they feel like they cant improve in what is likely to be an unbeatable format [certainly for newer players] due to the unusually high rake. ho hum, innit
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    +1

It's really poor from Sky. I had a long debate with several sky representatives about this, on this forum a couple of years ago.

Everything is so static and set in stone here. 3 years later, nothing has changed.  The majority of new players stand absolutely no chance.

As an aside, Gary I've seen you comment on taking add ons in freerolls before. If/when you start playing these again, do not use your bankroll on freeroll add ons, it's terrible value.

Great offer from Jac, I hope you take him up on it and things start to turn around.

gl.
  • edited June 2014
    they arent letting me post people's graphs. [even though i anonymised the other person's graph].

gary's looks like this:
    <
    where the upslope represents £10.40p profit pre rake and the downslope represents £12 loss post rake.

slaughtering the new players with rake.

barmy

• edited June 2014
    I thoroughly agree with the comments regarding the rake on micro stakes dyms.With a 20% rake, at the 60p level where I play you have to win 60% of games just to break even and it's unlikely a new player will win that many let alone make enough of a profit to move up the levels.
    It seems a mite unfair that the players with the smallest bankrolls are paying the highest percentage rake on the site. If the 20% was applied across all levels the big players on the site would be off for greener pastures in a flash.
    In my view a 10% rake at the lowest levels would be more than adequate and would give the new players some chance of making a profit thereby encouraging more newbies to join the site and hopefully move up to the higher levels.
  • edited June 2014
    Teddy, Doh, and belsibub - Thanks very much for your messages and the interesting comparisons about rake levels - Duly noted.

4EVERGREEN
    I have sent you a couple of PM's In direct response to your most recent PVT message - thanks muchley for this. Do keep in touch! 
  • edited June 2014
    bl00dy hell after reading the posts re pre rake profits, I played a lot of the miro dyms when I first came to sky.
    So I went to scope and checked the pre rake profit of my stats and the results/difference is startling to say the least,
    plus 131.00 pre rake and only 25.93 post erm wtf
     4/5th of my winnings gone to the sky coffers....... get it sorted sky its extortionate

also if and when you come back to playing Gary you should be auto pming jac and taking him up on his offer if nothing else it will improve your confidence whilst playing, but something tells me you will get a lot more out of it than that 

best of luck
    regards
    iah
  • edited June 2014
    Gary beats his favorite game pre rake, dave doesnt.

Acts like a beast on the forums and a lamb on the tables me thinks.