You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Poker is just utterly miserable right now.  Another night, another stream of bad beats.  Sole reason for so little posts on here lately.  It just seems impossible to get my money in the middle good and not end up losing at the moment.

I can't even luckbox in tournaments anymore lately. Not a single head or cash so far in any of the Mayhem games I've been able to play.

I might have to take inspiration from harry, withdraw all of what I have left on here, book a cheap flight to vegas and donate it all to strippers instead.  Way more fun than poker.

Although in the short term, whisky and loud music will have to suffice.

Build the liver up ready to watch Town smash that Preston lot in a couple of days.

Happy weekend.  Run golden.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables:
    Poker is just utterly miserable right now.  Another night, another stream of bad beats.  Sole reason for so little posts on here lately.  It just seems impossible to get my money in the middle good and not end up losing at the moment. I can't even luckbox in tournaments anymore lately. Not a single head or cash so far in any of the Mayhem games I've been able to play. I might have to take inspiration from harry, withdraw all of what I have left on here, book a cheap flight to vegas and donate it all to strippers instead.  Way more fun than poker. Although in the short term, whisky and loud music will have to suffice. Build the liver up ready to watch Town smash that Preston lot in a couple of days. Happy weekend.  Run golden.
    Posted by shakinaces
    This is only a half truth, the flight was anything but cheap.
  • edited May 2015
    * Book a flight to vegas and donate it all to cheap strippers instead

Sorry, was a typo in the previous post.

Still seems like a better idea than poker.  Will have to find some discipline and go back to NL4 for the next few days and see if I can recall what it's like to have a winning week again.  Dunno how I have gotten so bad, so quickly.

Shame I took my run-bad with me to Wembley.  Well done Preston and all, but what a miserable 90 minutes. 3 trips to the new stadium with Town, 3 defeats, 6 conceded, 0 scored.  I'm no expert football manager, but having your shortest defender mark Jermaine Beckford never seemed like a great plan.

I think the highlight (if you weren't in the Preston end) was probably watching the fans fighting among themselves after the first goal went in. Lucky bar stewards missed the next 86 minutes after some UFC-built steward DDT-d them out of the stadium.

I started the year full of hope that I could keep the poker monies ticking over and pay for a holiday of some sort this year. I initially hoped that careful budgeting meant that could splash flights to Asia for £450 or so.

Turns out the plan now may just about cobble enough together by September to cover petrol to Scotland and spend a couple of nights living Bear Grylls-style in the middle of the Highlands.

What's the worst that could happen?
  • edited May 2015
    Don't worry about bad beats Shakinaces, maybe take a break, gee yourself up and go again, im sure you'll come good.
  • edited May 2015
    Sorry about the result Shaki - I knew had been chatting to a Swindon fan on here but couldn't remember who!

After 9/9 playoff failures I can definitely empathise with your pain. It was incredible for us to not only win but do it relatively sweatless from a spectator point of view.

Garner is definitely still prone to a hot headed moment and does get booked fairly regularly (about 1 in 4 games). However quality player - albeit outshone in the playoffs by Beckford who really has found his old form again.

GL at the tables - hope you find some rungood - or even just avoid the runbad and I am sure you will be fine.
  • edited May 2015
    Hey shakin sorry hear your going through a bad patch on the cash tables we all go through it at times but i`m sure you will come through it buddy.

Things I would recommend if you haven`t done them already is

-Drop down a level,rebuild confidence in your game
    -Reduce your tables and focus making right decisions regardless of results.
    -Review HH`s on forum or even get a close friend watch your session to get a second opinion on how you are playing
    -Just take some time off and do things outside of poker makes you happy because nothing worse than going into a session with no confidence thinking how will you lose.

Gl whatever you choose to do :)
  • edited May 2015
    Sorry about the result Shaki - I knew had been chatting to a Swindon fan on here but couldn't remember who! After 9/9 playoff failures I can definitely empathise with your pain. It was incredible for us to not only win but do it relatively sweatless from a spectator point of view. Garner is definitely still prone to a hot headed moment and does get booked fairly regularly (about 1 in 4 games). However quality player - albeit outshone in the playoffs by Beckford who really has found his old form again. GL at the tables - hope you find some rungood - or even just avoid the runbad and I am sure you will be fine.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Yeah Preston definitely deserved their day in the sun after all the previous disappointments.  As a Forest fan I'm 4/4 exits in the semis and that's bad enough!

Guaranteed that next season Garner will score at least one worldy vs us!
  • edited May 2015
    Hey shakin sorry hear your going through a bad patch on the cash tables we all go through it at times but i`m sure you will come through it buddy. Things I would recommend if you haven`t done them already is -Drop down a level,rebuild confidence in your game -Reduce your tables and focus making right decisions regardless of results. -Review HH`s on forum or even get a close friend watch your session to get a second opinion on how you are playing -Just take some time off and do things outside of poker makes you happy because nothing worse than going into a session with no confidence thinking how will you lose. Gl whatever you choose to do :)
    Posted by liamboi11
    Cheers Liam.

Fair to say that I've played a lot less this month and not solely down to the increasingly attractive draw of the local beer gardens :)

I bit the bullet and hit the NL4 tables last night. Thankfully I can at least still win pots down there and actually logged off with a few BI profit for the first time in what seems like an age.

You are right that poker, like most things in life, is so much easier when your confidence levels are high. As per some of my recent poker clinic posts, I'm questioning my ability to even do the most basic of things at the moment... probably making the game way more complicated for myself than it ever should be.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables : Yeah Preston definitely deserved their day in the sun after all the previous disappointments.  As a Forest fan I'm 4/4 exits in the semis and that's bad enough! Guaranteed that next season Garner will score at least one worldy vs us!
    Posted by shakinaces
    Aha so you are a 2 team tart like me and Vespa?

Need to work on a Footy/Poker away day exchange scheme - are you up for a Deepdale/G-Blackpool I would certainly be up for a City Ground/DTD weekender if the fixture list is kind.

• edited May 2015
    Ha yeah very much a two-team tart... been a Forest fan since I was a wee lad and get to a few games, but rarely with a big group of mates.

Living in Swindon and having a large number of Town supporters as friends I do very occasionally go along (normally when they do cheap tickets) mainly just as an excuse to spend a few hours on Saturday with a beer in hand... then 'glory' chasing (or rather, misery chasing) at the big games.

Could be worse on both accounts I suppose. My old man isn't a big footy fan but my folks both grew up in a Millwall area and only moved away just before I was born. Grandparents and uncles would have had me down the Den if my parents had decided not to move.

Would have been a pretty useless fan though. I'm too gangly to be good in a fight and not ignorant enough to be racist.

I still feel a bit ashamed from something that happened after the Millwall v Swindon playoff final a few years ago. There was 6 of us in our group and we'd planned to go out in central London after the game so as we left Wembley were on the tube with Millwall rather than Town fans. As we bundled on at Wembley Park the only other people in our carriage where an Asian family and they took all sorts of horrible verbals as they were forced to vacate their seats for some local hooligans. Our group all wanted to speak out, but didn't fancy the outcome of 6 vs 100+ fighting in a tube carriage so just kept schtum and avoided any eye contact.

Only plus side - I've done so much stupid stuff in life that I'm going to hell anyway when I die. One more negative thing makes little difference on that front. Still felt horrible that I was essentially condoning the racist behaviour though by staying quiet.

Two positive days in a row at poker. Nice, but I really hope that NL4 isn't my level.  Hopefully I can get a few more wins and start heading back up the levels again.
  • edited May 2015
    I suppose these days you could film it and put it on you tube.

Even then dont know if i would have the cajones from inside the same carriage in case I was spotted.

Seen many a fight started by Millwall fans - usually amongst themselves in the away end when they are losing.

6 v6 like to think Id do the right thing - 6v100 not so easy especially when you dont want to be outed as an opposition supporter. 

I can remember walking through Burnley town centre just after PNE had beaten them 3-0 we were all head down trying not to look pleased and the burberry scarf face covered idiots were around spoiling to start something. One guy got punched in the face right in front of us only to complain what did you that for I'm an effing Burnley fan. We walked by.

It's not the same thing but I did once stand up to 5 drunken yobs on my own who started on me thinking I was nicking their taxi outside Preston station - stood my ground told them I was there first and got in. Next day I thought to myself it was only a taxi ffs there would have been another one any minute and was it really worth risking a beating? 

• edited June 2015
    It's been a rather dull and hard graft, but managed to add a few BI and sneak a winning past week.

Guess I can upgrade the holiday to a couple of nights in a cheap backpackers hostel, although probably only in the 40 bunk-bed dorm where I'll have to join the 30+ others in trying to navigate the post-curry windfarm created by some chunky lad called Gustav and multiple bunged up snorers that will put even Hendrik to shame.

Really hope the avoidance of too much bad luck holds up long enough to upgrade from this long before September arrives.

Barely three weeks now until I donate some cash to fellow forumites at MK.  Can't wait, hope we get a good turnout for the game before heading back to party and cost Harry his deposit.
  • edited June 2015

There has been some entertaining banter at the tables recently and lots of very detailed conspiracy theories.

Last night was some fella trying to convince us all of his BLOCK of cards conspiracy theory (his capitalisation, not mine).

Utterly confusing but who am I to question the methodology by which a site shuffles the virtual deck.

He was awesome at hand reading and guessing river cards though.  You'd think that if your claim to have cracked the system was even remotely true it would make the game completely beatable and /or make you quit all forms of internet pokerz.

But evidently not.

Someone did suggest that the theorist should go and play live instead, but it was pointed out that live poker is even more dodgy, with dealers paid to use sleight of hand to deal action boards and lots of coolers to maximise rake even more obviously than the internet games.

Pretty sure that part at least was truthful...

• edited June 2015
    It's been a rather dull and hard graft, but managed to add a few BI and sneak a winning past week. Guess I can upgrade the holiday to a couple of nights in a cheap backpackers hostel, although probably only in the 40 bunk-bed dorm where I'll have to join the 30+ others in trying to navigate the post-curry windfarm created by some chunky lad called Gustav and multiple bunged up snorers that will put even Hendrik to shame. Really hope the avoidance of too much bad luck holds up long enough to upgrade from this long before September arrives. Barely three weeks now until I donate some cash to fellow forumites at MK.  Can't wait, hope we get a good turnout for the game before heading back to party and cost Harry his deposit.
    Posted by shakinaces

While Harry is away in Vegas slumming it in "all u can drink for 20quid*" establishments

I take this opportunity to invite the WHOLE forum, to our party :)

*good job it's drink and not eat - or they would go outta business.

• edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables : While Harry is away in Vegas slumming it in "all u can drink for 20quid*" establishments I take this opportunity to invite the WHOLE forum, to our party :) *good job it's drink and not eat - or they would go outta business.
    Posted by samantha25
    Morning wench. 
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables : Morning wench. 
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Oh Hi H :)

Didn't fink you were spying still!

Shaky's idea anyway.

• edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables : Morning wench. 
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Don't you have a holiday to enjoy?

Next thing you'll be on other threads moaning how unfair it is that you're missing tonight's freerolls ;)
  • edited June 2015
    In Response to Re: Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables : Don't you have a holiday to enjoy? Next thing you'll be on other threads moaning how unfair it is that you're missing tonight's freerolls ;)
    Posted by shakinaces

Yeah like "what if you are going on an all around cruise for 6mths" ones?
  • edited June 2015
    I so nearly thought I may have broken through to the wins needed to start thinking long haul again over the weekend, but alas variance came around and hadoukened me the nuts towards the end. 

The old favourite 88 - should have stuck my promise to just bin them - flopped a set only to get stacked by running AA vs a maniac that got it all in with A8 on the flop.  A flopped set of queens took a similar beating when Q3s shoved flop and hit running flush cards. I think those were my favourite two of that hour of play.

I don't know whether I just never noticed these sort of beats before, if the bad run makes them stand out more, or if them happening in batches makes it more noticeable.  Still can't clear my head of them as easily as I used to, although the joy of cash means logging off for 10 mins or so after they happen rather than being at risk of ever tilting off more.

Either way, small steps, but I'm pretty sure I can at least afford a few nights at 'The worst B&B in Blackpool' now.

It looks lovely.

I think the main target 'event' is now a few weeks in Myanmar in November so need to run super good over the summer.  That and a week of drinking in Tenerife in October.  And a long weekend of drinking in Germany in December.  FFS can't sort plans for an age, then all hit at once.

Luckily I play my best after a few beers, so some late night multi-tabling after summer BBQs/beer garden sessions should help things along.
  • edited June 2015
    I was also going to try and roll up winnings from these new freerolls to fund entry into a bigger event (live or online) as a way to supercharge the holiday funds.

Total after week 1 (played 3/5) - £0.

May need to rethink plan.
  • edited June 2015
    Broke the freeroll duck.

Agreed to stand around on a footy pitch and make up numbers at 8pm last night so only played the first 15 mins.

Played all sorts of junk and rivered a couple of double ups before I headed out.

Came back to find I finished 147th and binked £2.

Think this is the new strategy moving forward, trying to play hands is evidently a big weakness of mine.

Only another 5 days of work until being forced to kill my liver in MK.

Escape tomorrow to sleep off seeing one of the best live bands around (tonight) as I get a bit more value from my kickstarter contribution to them over a decade ago. One of the best short-holidays ever touring around with Electric Eel Shock in Sweden, home of all the beautiful people. What a country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7eQjLrgmdI
  • edited June 2015
    I can't hear anything but ringing in my left ear after last night.

Part of me thinks this may be bad.

Other part thinks I'm halfway to being able to blank out all the snoring from passed out Outlaws next weekend.

Really happy I checked the renewal dates for my passport, finding out it expired last month, thought I had a year left. With today off work I'm 99% certain I'd have joined in with those trying to punt 1,000pts to try and get to Vegas.  That was my initial plan anyway when I saw the thread. Which would have been stupid. But felt like it was a sign that it coincided with the first day of holiday this year.

Wouldn't have been the first time I've got to the point of leaving the country only to find out it had expired, but no doubt would have been much worse after losing £1k+ to get to that point. 5 year renewal term on my first one threw me and led to rather a lot of grief from the mates I was at Dover ferry port with :/
  • edited June 2015
    May possibly be busy skiving at work.

I hear there is something occuring in Milton Keynes in the not-too-distant future which I aim to escape asap to go and join.

I believe alcohol may be involved.

Sigh. Life is tough.

Pokerwise...

Still no freeroll binks from playing the things properly... and another runners-up spot on a DTD podium after IrishRose totally pwned me on Monday... VWP her, showed up exactly how terrible I am at the game but was really glad that the game had such a worthy winner.

Much the same trying the freebie UKPC sats... Need to listen to more of DarkAngel's advice :)

Luckily just about having more win sessions than loss at cash so the holiday fund is getting there. Not made easy when people like EvilPingu are spending sessions dropped down to NL10 though. Little chance of scrambling together enough to move back to NL20 vs oppos like that.

There's been enough to at least swap countries briefly next month. Try and patch up my increasingly shot-to-fook knee sufficiently to go to Scotland and clamber up it's 2nd highest point... if able to tear ourselves away from the insane number of high class whisky distilleries in Speyside...

And speaking of whisky...

The last night that lots of that was consumed I ended up being drunk goaded into playing NL4 at stupid o'clock in the morning.

I don't remember it at all.

But apparently I slow-rolled Trip5 (which was probably due to having passed out).

And now I'm house-sharing with her in the Outlaws place this weekend.

FML.
  • edited June 2015
    May possibly be busy skiving at work. I hear there is something occuring in Milton Keynes in the not-too-distant future which I aim to escape asap to go and join. I believe alcohol may be involved. Sigh. Life is tough. Pokerwise... Still no freeroll binks from playing the things properly... and another runners-up spot on a DTD podium after IrishRose totally pwned me on Monday... VWP her, showed up exactly how terrible I am at the game but was really glad that the game had such a worthy winner. Much the same trying the freebie UKPC sats... Need to listen to more of DarkAngel's advice :) Luckily just about having more win sessions than loss at cash so the holiday fund is getting there. Not made easy when people like EvilPingu are spending sessions dropped down to NL10 though. Little chance of

scrambling together enough to move back to NL20 vs oppos like that. There's been enough to at least swap countries briefly next month. Try and patch up my increasingly shot-to-fook knee sufficiently to go to Scotland and clamber up it's 2nd highest point... if able to tear ourselves away from the insane number of high class whisky distilleries in Speyside...   And speaking of whisky... The last night that lots of that was consumed I ended up being drunk goaded into playing NL4 at stupid o'clock in the morning. I don't remember it at all. But apparently I slow-rolled Trip5 (which was probably due to having passed out). And now I'm house-sharing with her in the Outlaws place this weekend. FML.
    Posted by shakinaces
    see you at mk shaky lad

• edited June 2015
    Finally broke my rewards FR duck.  Total up to £4.  Part offsets the fact I keep falling just short of 500pts per week and have to settle for the £2.30 reward.

Not quite sure how, as I was playing so tired last night.  I open folded AA in one of the DTDs and ended up donking off a good chunk of chips in another when I accidentally min-3b K8o then tried to rep something, forgetting that if anyone calls your flop bet in those games they are pretty much guaranteed to call turn and river.

And I have no idea how, but I'm covered in bruises after MK.  Wasn't even one of the many local drunks that foolishly thought it was a good idea to go 1 v 1 with the hench bouncer at McDonalds in order to provide some late-night entertainment to those of us queuing for food.
  • edited September 2015
    Somewhat sidetracked since the fun and games in MK.  Too much summer.  Takes away the inspiration to want to play much poker.

Plus football is utterly depressing currently. That alone is enough reason to disappear and be quiet.

Finally binked a DTD last night though, so those brags may make me want to push on and play some more as we head back in to winter.

Pretty sure I'm playing abysmally lately, although have managed to inch money up a bit.  I think I've got enough to stump up for a solid long weekend in europe or nearly cover the cost of a long haul trip.

Think that's more due to finding a few very poor oppos at nl20 than any skill on my part.

May need to revisit NL4 for a couple of weeks to try and recall how to play 'properly' at NL20 or lower and stop trying to overthink things (using a brain that isn't skill enough to do that).

And with that in mind, a couple of hands to follow for critique...
  • edited September 2015
    UTG plays nearly 100% of pots.  BU is a reg.  The dynamic between the 3 of us mean that BU will be 3b lighter than normal here, but at some time I always feel like 4b JJ oop is just a bit spew.

Hoped for a low flop but got even better one. Too good.

Once it's raised on flop, what should be my decision here?  Feels like call and bet both shut the hand down (as happened here). Should I just therefore raise in these spots and at least guarantee a chance at stacks on the times they have the very top of their range (88/AA).

FWIW BU and me have been chucking overbets on river in various spots in the last few weeks so was hoping I'd level a call by taking that route rather than pure value.  Against randoms I'd go way lower than that. Perhaps on this occasion I should have just shoved :)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    shakinaces Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £14.96
    JIMZ1024 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £32.55
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

UTGRaise  £0.30 £0.45 £12.23
    kgee Fold     
    xxxCall  £0.30 £0.75 £15.69
    BUCall  £0.30 £1.05 £9.70
    shakinaces Call  £0.25 £1.30 £14.71
    JIMZ1024 Fold     
    Flop

• J

shakinaces Check     
    UTGBet  £0.30 £1.60 £11.93
    xxxCall  £0.30 £1.90 £15.39
    BURaise  £1.30 £3.20 £8.40
    shakinaces Call  £1.30 £4.50 £13.41
    UTGFold     
    xxxxFold     
    Turn

shakinaces Check     
    BUCheck     
    River

shakinaces Bet  £5.00 £9.50 £8.41
    BUFold     
    shakinaces Muck     
    shakinaces Win  £4.16  £12.57
    shakinaces Return  £5.00 £0.34 £17.57
  • edited September 2015
    Definitely thinking (badly) too much here.  Is this play just total spew?  Should I even be opening as wide as 5s UTG, let alone defending to a 3b?

Got so much abuse for the next 20mins or so at the table after this. Am guessing little more compliment now, but interested to hear just how far my thinking was off.

Still don't understand why someone would spend so much time trying to explain my poker faults to me though.  If I see faults I just say 'nh' and then attempt to quietly exploit it in order to try and win a few quid.

Oppo had been 3betting more liberally than most at these levels.

The other guy in hand was getting stacks in more liberally than most.  If he hadn't called then I'd have folded pre.

If the flop is cbet, I fold.

When no cbet I think overpairs are out of range, he'd be looking to protect / get value from those.  Facing two overcards or flopped set then is my range (ie I'm ahead / way behind).  So with whale out on the turn, I call.

4 can't change a thing on the river so I eventually overcame my natural instinct to snap fold (I am weak/tight reg nit after all) and made the call.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    rosjim1 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £18.31
    Proboscis Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £9.66
      Your hole cards

shakinaces Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £10.51
    oppoRaise  £0.90 £1.35 £9.58
    xxxCall  £0.90 £2.25 £11.50
    rosjim1 Fold     
    Proboscis Fold     
    shakinaces Call  £0.60 £2.85 £9.91
    Flop

shakinaces Check     
    oppoCheck     
    xxxCheck     
    Turn

shakinaces Check     
    oppoBet  £1.50 £4.35 £8.08
    xxxFold     
    shakinaces Call  £1.50 £5.85 £8.41
    River

shakinaces Check     
    oppoBet  £4.20 £10.05 £3.88
    shakinaces Call  £4.20 £14.25 £4.21
    oppoShow
    • J

shakinaces Show

shakinaces Win Two Pairs, 5s and 2s £13.18  £17.39
  • edited September 2015
    I think you are right not to be raising the flop as you will only ever be repping sets and possible slow played aa/kk, and im not sure you would ever be r/r bluffing there???  I personally like the idea of leading the turn though, because it normally throws your opponent off track a bit, as you could be doing this with quite a wide range of hands, also if your opponent has a medium pair, weak top pair etc then he wont be betting himself but will probably have to call a bet from you. and the river is fine especially if you had both been overpot bluffing recently.
  • edited September 2015
    Hi. Hand 1 with the dynamic you describe then I'm 100% squeezing here pre. You easily have the best hand here a lot so get it HU. As played I like a small turn lead. Can get your opponent to jam over sensing weakness and it can confuse your opponent and getting river value. 

Hand 2 is totally player dependant. Once we call turn then we have to call this river, looks too bluffy. But I would defo be making a note of what he 3 bet pre with!