You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Poker Cup

Comments

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Cup:
    hey boxster it states in the terms and conditions  11. If there is a tie for the 16th spot then the order will be decided by the total amount of Sit and Go’s played throughout the promotion. that answers your question buddy :)
    Posted by liamboi11
    Thanks mate
  • edited July 2014
    Sorry to repeat an already asked question but don't think it got an answer - do russian roulette HU games count?
  • edited July 2014
    Sorry to repeat an already asked question but don't think it got an answer - do russian roulette HU games count?
    Posted by GRINTLER
    Pretty sure they do.  Someone grinding for a different rake race has been playing tons of them and was on the leaderboard in the early going.
  • edited July 2014
    Thanks.

I'm not very good at maths, and no online tool can help me so I was wondering if anybody can help me here:

I was on 51 games and at a win percentage of 66.7%.

This morning, I decided to try and increase this percentage and played a total of 27 games, winning 15.

In total I have now played 78 games and I have worked out I have now won 49 of those games.

I have tried to work it out and now it seems my win percentage has dropped to 62%ish? 

Is there any maths wizz that can a) work this out for me? b) explain why my win percentage has gone down despite a winning session this morning?

So confused lol
  • edited July 2014
    Thanks. I'm not very good at maths, and no online tool can help me so I was wondering if anybody can help me here: I was on 51 games and at a win percentage of 66.7%. This morning, I decided to try and increase this percentage and played a total of 27 games, winning 15. In total I have now played 78 games and I have worked out I have now won 49 of those games. I have tried to work it out and now it seems my win percentage has dropped to 62%ish?  Is there any maths wizz that can a) work this out for me? b) explain why my win percentage has gone down despite a winning session this morning? So confused lol
    Posted by GRINTLER

you 'only' won 15/27*100 = 55% of your games today.

to improve your win percentage you would have to win more than 66.7% of your games today.

had you won 19 games of the 27 you would have achieved this

• edited July 2014

Ouch!!!

Tonko just hurt my %!!! Lost 6-3!!

VWP Sir!!

......anyone weaker fancy a game??

• edited July 2014
    Lol Tonko has just been abusing me after i played him 3 times and won all 3 lol 
  • edited July 2014

funny, i just had the same experience. 

first he was insulting about those he played earlier and then called me a moron.

he did win one game of our three.  well done him.

• edited July 2014
    funny, i just had the same experience.  first he was abusive about those he played earlier and then called me a moron. he did win one game of our three.  well done him.
    Posted by aussie09
    Is it all right for him to call you a moron if it's proven that you are? ;)
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Cup : Is it all right for him to call you a moron if it's proven that you are? ;)
    Posted by Slipwater

you have a valid point there.

• edited July 2014

i had another series of games against a well known reg and i won 5 out of 7.  he said that as he said he didn't want to play me i should not register to play against him anymore.  apparently "it's etiquette", he said.  he said that there are many weaker players i should choose instead.  then he called me a cxxt

is it not my choice who i play?  and is it not his choice to register and wait for any opponent?

ps.  i stopped playing him but watched his next game.  the other player was away and he min raised every hand in his absence.  i guess etiquette is a fashionable thing.  here one game, gone the next.

• edited July 2014
    i had another series of games against a well known reg and i won 5 out of 7.  he said that as he said he didn't want to play me i should not register to play against him anymore.  apparently "it's etiquette", he said.  he said that there are many weaker players i should choose instead.  then he called me a cxxt is it not my choice who i play?  and is it not his choice to register and wait for any opponent? ps.  i stopped playing him but watched his next game.  the other player was away and he min raised every hand in his absence.  i guess etiquette is a fashionable thing.  here one game, gone the next.  
    Posted by aussie09
    if he's worried about being sat, he shouldn't open sit.

that's is all.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Cup : if he's worried about being sat, he shouldn't open sit. that's is all.
    Posted by TeddyBloat

thanks ted, that's my thinking too.

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Cup : thanks ted, that's my thinking too.
    Posted by aussie09
    there is a whole lotta politics that goes on though. some might be interested:

first off, as you are not a [husng] 'reg' it doesnt matter what you do.

basically recreational players are FAR more likely to sit second. this means that being able to open sit is a huge advantage when there are only two lobbies available. regs might agree to share lobbies so that they share the recreationals that stray into their waters.  sometimes someone new comes in and might have to prove themselves to the regs that it is in their interests to share lobbies.

it would be bad ettiquette to sit someone that you had a sharing agreement with. with the low traffic, it's not so bad here, but on the bigsite there are queues for the lobbies [managed by a 3rd party registration software]. this has lead to the mid-high-stakes players forming collectives to protect their lobbies and prevent people from lower stakes bumhunting by open sitting, or moving up in stakes easily.

basically, if you are not in the collective you get sat by all the regs.

---

with your reg it is probably an ego thing. if you sit him you are basically telling him that you believe you have an edge, whilst at the same time preventing him getting x games an hour in v passive recreationals.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Cup : there is a whole lotta politics that goes on though. some might be interested: first off, as you are not a [husng] 'reg' it doesnt matter what you do. basically recreational players are FAR more likely to sit second. this means that being able to open sit is a huge advantage when there are only two lobbies available. regs might agree to share lobbies so that they share the recreationals that stray into their waters.  sometimes someone new comes in and might have to prove themselves to the regs that it is in their interests to share lobbies. it would be bad ettiquette to sit someone that you had a sharing agreement with. with the low traffic, it's not so bad here, but on the bigsite there are queues for the lobbies [managed by a 3rd party registration software]. this has lead to the mid-high-stakes players forming collectives to protect their lobbies and prevent people from lower stakes bumhunting by open sitting, or moving up in stakes easily. basically, if you are not in the collective you get sat by all the regs. --- with your reg it is probably an ego thing. if you sit him you are basically telling him that you believe you have an edge, whilst at the same time preventing him getting x games an hour in v passive recreationals.
    Posted by TeddyBloat

blimey, quite a murky world

thanks for explaining.

• edited July 2014
    Well i proper messed up my chance of getting in top 16. After 52 games i was on just over 66% but didnt think that was going to be enough. So i carried on going and gradually went down and further down. Still dont think 66% will be quite enough.
    On the plus side i have found a  far more enjoyable game than the DYMs i was getting so bored playing.
    Heads Up here we come on a far more regular basis. Just got to iron out my very loose river calls then onwards and upwards.

Good luck to everyone who makes Top 16.
  • edited July 2014
    Leaderboard has been updated! Here it is incase you missed it...

RankAliasWinning %S&Gs playedPrize
    1Nosebleed_78.00%50Place in the Last 16
    2lundie70.00%50Place in the Last 16
    3johnny_e70.00%50Place in the Last 16
    4Buttafngrs70.00%50Place in the Last 16
    5oldboy27168.00%50Place in the Last 16
    6benc68.00%50Place in the Last 16
    7Tormas7767.57%111Place in the Last 16
    8timmai67.24%58Place in the Last 16
    9MrTazzy67.16%67Place in the Last 16
    10Boxster66.67%66Place in the Last 16
    11lions8666.67%54Place in the Last 16
    12gar9611266.18%68Place in the Last 16
    13MrFish201065.52%58Place in the Last 16
    14TommyD65.39%52Place in the Last 16
    15EvilPingu64.91%57Place in the Last 16
    16LARSON764.41%59Place in the Last 16
    17TimmyRaRa64.06%64 
    18Hotwheals63.03%211 
    19PaulVanDyk62.22%90 
    2010l0l1i0T61.64%73 
    21KoperKys61.54%52 
    22seanallen60.87%115 
    23NOGIMMICKS60.78%51 
    24day4eire7660.00%60 
    25liamboi1159.65%57 
    26ALFIE12359.46%111 
    27splashies58.89%90 
    28OCD_man58.57%70 
    29StayOrGo58.46%65 
    30GRINTLER58.43%89 
    31duonross58.39%137 
    32GSmith1358.18%55 
    33BloodyKK58.17%208 
    34markus9158.17%208 
    35Django9358.02%131 
    36Sammydrid57.97%69 
    37poshcole57.96%88 
    38Devo8457.75%71 
    39billybob1257.58%330 
    40jakerobson56.96%79 
    41jonnyrkd56.34%142 
    42xxxxxxc56.34%71 
    43eardleym55.96%109 
    44biggirl55.71%70 
    45david66655.56%63 
    46BigM1955.56%81 
    47Tonko55.43%359 
    48Itsover4u55.39%65 
    49slokazilla55.31%226 
    50footsie6654.84%62

• edited July 2014
    And the best of the rest....

RankAliasWinning %S&Gs played
    1BooBooTheB71.43%42
    2waller0270.97%31
    3shiftty70.73%41
    4pilezitin69.23%39
    5londman68.29%41
    6nickd4993168.18%44
    7zoglog68.18%44
    8LB43866.67%39
    9ElleJaySea65.85%41
    10Slykllist65.71%35
    11murray6963.64%33
    12Brothy12363.42%41
    13oceans000762.16%37
    14BigManch61.77%34
    15Wrighty2461.29%31
    16HWD761.11%36
    17goldnballz60.61%33
    18BigHawk8960.00%30
    19BrayCorp8360.00%25
    20Scrivener60.00%45
  • edited July 2014

It's depressing reading this and knowing that I went on crazy monkey tilt last night and ruined my chances of making the top 16 :(

• edited July 2014
    Hi All,

Have just read through all of these posts from the very beginning, as have just finished 53 games of heads up. Some of you will know me from the DYM tables - hi to all.

May I ask - who was the player that was removed from the leaderboard? Did they "win" all 50?! I have obviously only seen the posts today. 

Bear with me as I am not a heads up player, by my own admission i am normally only playing it when on tilt (ask Tormas77!) - my average win rate is 55.8% on ALL heads up games, but decided to give it a try anyway. Nothing to lose right! 

Personally I don't like the variance in HU games - you can see from my graph (if you filter to hu only) that I started my HU games very very well, then went super down, and then recently (whilst trying for this venture, went up again.)

This could explain a lot of things in response to many of the posts - in my opinion I think that the very best HU player on this site could quite feasibly be nowehere near the leaderboard after 50 games, and some of the worst players ever, could also be near the top - over the course of a mere 50 games that is. 

It also means a fish (like me at HU!) will stop on 50 games if they have ran very well and a regular/solid player may carry on (in Alfie123's case) to try and improve over time.

The result is that you may have some strange results over the 50 games - i know that I have ran very very well over the last 20 games, and I am now going to stop as I believe i have a decent chance of progressing to the last 16.

I would say (although it is too late) that a sample size of 50 does promote collusive activity - the higher the sample, the less chance of collusion (and easier to spot). BUT, on the flip side, huge congrats to Sky for putting on a promotion that recreational players can have a go at.

Like Tommy, I also hope that Sky goes through some of the hands - I was very lucky in that after 30 games or so I had roughly 65% (in with a shout) after sitting and waiting for fish to play my tables at the lowest stakes possible - £5.25. I tried rematching a few of them (won't mention names) but no one really wanted to go for more than 3-5 games - then for my last session today, an epic donkey (am I allowed to say that?) kept rematching me and I think i went something like 17-3 on them.

Sharkscope says that my ITM % is 71.7% which I am excited about, but now after reading the posts I am also scared that a) colluders will overtake me, and b) people will think I have been colluding!!! - Of course I haven't, it's just that the last guy I played, I ran very well against/they were awful.

What I would like to ask the regular heads up players though is what is the best upswing and down swing you have ever been on playing hu? - Is it actually possibly to win/lose lets say 45+ games in a 50 game sample?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading, HU is certainly an interesting game and one which I will now consider trying to get better at, gl to all in the promo and i look forward to more discussion!

J
  • edited July 2014

Good post J.
      To be fair I mainly carried on after 50 or so games as I didn't think 66.27% was gonna be enough and didn't want to come 17th and get knocked out without trying to improve.  Instead I have found these games far me interesting and keep my concentration levels up for the hour or so I play a night.
    You say you beat the epic donkey but I lost 4 in a row to what I thought was one and he was hitting all the miracle river cards.  Sheeez I must be a mega epic donkey.  I just need to be abit more patient perhaps.

• edited July 2014
    i've won 19 hypers in a row and lost 14 on the spin too.

the variance is huge, and i wouldnt be surprised if someone posted an 80% winrate

to note, the VERY best players in the format, and ones who have made MILLIONS from the game have ITM rates of 52%. that's in hypers and on another site where the rake allows profit with smaller win rates, but it goes to show just how much luck is involved over the short span on a hyper turno HUSNG.

i really hope you lads carry on playing HUSNG's they are a great variant of the game.

i've posted some strategy in this thread that might help you guys:

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a2e4f51cb-c64c-449f-a843-8db9c5fe7283Forum%3a596e7081-fff1-4103-8428-5d4d19736b09Discussion%3a214221db-3b07-41df-a2b3-d909c6821814&plckCurrentPage=0

• edited July 2014
    Good post J.   To be fair I mainly carried on after 50 or so games as I didn't think 66.27% was gonna be enough and didn't want to come 17th and get knocked out without trying to improve.  Instead I have found these games far me interesting and keep my concentration levels up for the hour or so I play a night. You say you beat the epic donkey but I lost 4 in a row to what I thought was one and he was hitting all the miracle river cards.  Sheeez I must be a mega epic donkey.  I just need to be abit more patient perhaps.
    Posted by ALFIE123
    Hi Alfie,

Don't take this as criticism, but why didn't you wait until, let's say the morning of the 31st and see what position you were in then? You will be mega gutted if 66.2% gets in now as that is what you had! But I guess it is very hard whether to know to stick or twist - especially if you are like me and don't know what a normal/good win rate is.

With reference to your donkey Alfie, I believe that this is kind of what I was saying in that I would be confident you did the right plays for the long term, but your donkey just got short term luck, whereas with my donkey I made the right plays and the cards just stuck/fell right. This is kinda what I meant by the best players getting unlucky and a fish getting lucky - imagine if your guy had played you 20 times and continued to run like that, he would be in with a shot of this as that can happen over 50 games (which is why i think it should have been 100 absolute minimum, but too late now to change it - I also shouldn't complain as i'm sure my % would go down if I was forced to carry on).

Alfie, how many games of hu do you think you could play an hour, and at what in the money (ITM) %? - I am trying to do some calculations as to whether overall money would be more or less than DYM's, when you take into consideration that I can play 12 DYM's at the same time and thus earns me more C4P? - BUT, hu games take longer... I think I could only play 2 hu games at the same time though.

I would like to state though, that even though there is £5000 to play for, I have found myself waiting for a game of heads up for a looooooong time in the lobby, where is the traffic?

Also, admin guys, I played my games last night but my name isn't near the leaderboards? Are we due an update or has something gone wrong?

J x
  • edited July 2014
    i've won 19 hypers in a row and lost 14 on the spin too. the variance is huge, and i wouldnt be surprised if someone posted an 80% winrate to note, the VERY best players in the format, and ones who have made MILLIONS from the game have ITM rates of 52%. that's in hypers and on another site where the rake allows profit with smaller win rates, but it goes to show just how much luck is involved over the short span on a hyper turno HUSNG. i really hope you lads carry on playing HUSNG's they are a great variant of the game. i've posted some strategy in this thread that might help you guys: https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a2e4f51cb-c64c-449f-a843-8db9c5fe7283Forum%3a596e7081-fff1-4103-8428-5d4d19736b09Discussion%3a214221db-3b07-41df-a2b3-d909c6821814&plckCurrentPage=0
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Hi Teddy,

Thank you for that, I have also done some research and seen that the boys from 2 months 2 million are all trainers on deucescracked and then there is another website called husng i think, but both are subscription sites and not free.

So 19 in a row is your record? Can anyone beat that?

Teddy, do you think it is at all possible to get 45+ or higher in a 50 game sample?
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Cup : Hi Alfie, Don't take this as criticism, but why didn't you wait until, let's say the morning of the 31st and see what position you were in then? You will be mega gutted if 66.2% gets in now as that is what you had! But I guess it is very hard whether to know to stick or twist - especially if you are like me and don't know what a normal/good win rate is. Alfie, how many games of hu do you think you could play an hour, and at what in the money (ITM) %? - I am trying to do some calculations as to whether overall money would be more or less than DYM's, when you take into consideration that I can play 12 DYM's at the same time and thus earns me more C4P? - BUT, hu games take longer... I think I could only play 2 hu games at the same time though. I would like to state though, that even though there is £5000 to play for, I have found myself waiting for a game of heads up for a looooooong time in the lobby, where is the traffic? J x
    Posted by Jacquelyn
    The waiting time is the big problem when trying to calculate win rates playing HU.

It's not uncommon to wait 30 minutes+ even at peak time for a £10.50 turbo/speed game.

You've experienced long waits even during a month where a lot more players than usual are playing the HU games, imagine it on a normal month. The much discussed rake here is almost double what it is elsewhere, which is a big contributing factor.

I think the action at £5.25 and below is reasonable though, as long as you're playing a turbo/speed/hyper format as opposed to the snoozefest 'regular speed' games, if 2 tabling I think you'd be able to get around 12-15 games an hour. 

ROIs will vary from a max of 2/3% @ hypers up to a max of maybe 10/11% at micro stakes speed/turbo games.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker Cup : The waiting time is the big problem when trying to calculate win rates playing HU. It's not uncommon to wait 30 minutes+ even at peak time for a £10.50 turbo/speed game. You've experienced long waits even during a month where a lot more players than usual are playing the HU games, imagine it on a normal month. The much discussed rake here is almost double what it is elsewhere, which is a big contributing factor. I think the action at £5.25 and below is reasonable though, as long as you're playing a turbo/speed/hyper format as opposed to the snoozefest 'regular speed' games, if 2 tabling I think you'd be able to get around 12-15 games an hour.  ROIs will vary from a max of 2/3% @ hypers up to a max of maybe 10/11% at micro stakes speed/turbo games.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Thank you Dohhhhh (enough h's?!),

In essence then, DYM is still the best sit n go game to play at Skypoker as it has good traffic and easier opponents!

Branching away a little bit then - why is Skypoker's rake higher than other sites? - Why doesn't it have it the same and thus they would have more customers and more traffic?
  • edited July 2014
    Hi J.
    The reason i carried on playing as i was playing well and wanted to increase my % to above 68% but just as my sports betting is i started chasing my losses then it carried on from there.
    With £ 10.00 DYM i play 4 tables at a time and only play a max of 8 games a night.
    In the same time at the mo i am playing 2 tables of Turbo and Speed together. (Dont ask me why) and playing about 12 - 15 games in the same time.  To be fair i only earn about £ 16.00 per month in C4P. As you can see its not about the money just the enjoyment.
    As Dohhhhhh says i am finding the tables are pretty constant at £ 5.00 Turbo and Speed HU and hopefully will stay like this after the promo.

I dont really care about Rakeback as i enjoy Sky Poker far more than the 3 other sites i have prevoiusly played so the amount of games i play this isnt a major factor to me.
  • edited July 2014
    It seems extremely suspicious that 1 guy has got himself back into the top 16 with an 11 game winning streak against the same player (this opponent has played no-one else in this promotion)

This coming after a 19/21 winning streak (inc. 12 in a row) vs a different player earlier on in the promotion. The guy he played on that streak is a long term winner at HU, whereas the guy in question, errr, isn't.
  • edited July 2014
    Are any suspicious games investigated immediately, it would be nice for everyones games to be investigated asap so we all roughly how the leaderboard is shaping up without the clear cheaters. For example i'm expecting to be on the cut/off or within a few places if i risk my winrate because a colluder is above me then they get taken out of the 16 post the conclusion of the promo and i get overtaken by someone with a winrate lower than my initial winrate before i risked it. I hope that makes sense not got alot of sleep..