You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

GARY L'S BR THREAD BR £24 (Cash tables started 15/10/14, 4NL)

edited May 2015 in Poker Chat
Congrats on the cash Gary.

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Well, When I last posted a proper thread on Sky Poker forums, I was battling with a very bad run in the DYM's.

I've saved my remaining balances and been playing the DTD games weekly. During the evening away from Sky Poker, a fellow member reminded me that there was this PPGP Freeroll going on - costing zero points to enter and a very good 10min blind structure.

I decided to enter it, meaning I'd be faced with playing two tables at once! 

I got on with it, and earned myself a few double up's in both competitions and before long I was approaching the bubble in the FR and DTD2 had less than 50 players left with the bubble at 18th.

DTD2
    Running short on chips I shoved AJ with two other players also joining me who were short. They turned over J2 & 6T respectively.

The middle ran out the following
    9c 2h 4h   3d  5s

The 6T got there with a str8 and outclassed my str8 which was a-5 < 2-6

FR
    A with around 60odd left I ended up with KK's and felt I had to go with it - they held and I ended up with 2.7k in chips.

I got a semi decent hand a short time later ATs and decided I didnt want to risk too much, having done simlar last week busting 2 from the money in DTD.

So when I got raised on a dryflop I folded. 

Shortly thereafer I had a real teaser....I had ACES, mid position, 2 left to go to the bubble- now do I shove with these and risk being bubble boy AGAIN or do I fold...I have to say this was the first time I have open folded aces when so short - but with the mind-set I'd seen them cracked so often and didnt want to end up B/BOY again!

So the blinds finally came round to the next short-stack who was all-in and all of a sudden three players were also All in!!!!!

The short stack showed 9's the large stack 7's and another player showed Q's! 

The seven's held when a 7 appeared on the flop and another on the turn bringing quad's.

The short stack was the bubble and guy with Q's was the first cashee...

ACHIEVEMENTS!!!!!!!!!! 
    I HAD DONE IT! I had achieved a cash in an MTT, something I had been knockng on the door to do for some time having had a number of close calls recently! :D

Absolutely delighted with that - okay it was for a mere £2.50 but it's the achievement that's really pleased me tonight - that I have finally broken that barrier and cashed - something I havent done for a long-long time! and something I feel I now have the game to go on and do a bit more regular from here on in!
  • edited July 2014
    Congrats mate,

I think i was on the same table as you on FR when Makapaka's quad 7's smashed Bobs 9's?

I just got Ko'd from the FR.
  • edited July 2014
    Well done Gary onwards and upwards
    Keep it  going ..enjoy the  feeling of victory
    Keep focused for the next tourney

Regards Alan
  • edited July 2014
    Well done on the cash.

But them aces should have been all in!
  • edited July 2014
    Get those aces all in Gary! Congratulations on your cash though.   :)
  • edited July 2014
    GO GO GO Gary!!!
  • ommomm
    edited July 2014
    Great news on your cash Gary, must do your confidence the world of good, can understand why you folded the Aces this time round, however will you do the same again in the same situation in the future? If so why?
  • edited July 2014

Very well done Gary.
  • edited July 2014
    Well done man but them Aces should never ever be going in the bin pre flop unless you are in a satellite/DYM.
  • edited July 2014
    Well played Gary!!

Unfortunately I was the bubble boy holding the 99 if you remember!

GL in others
  • edited July 2014
    Well played mate, keep it going.

All the best

Ian

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Gary Laud's Battling returns (Diary #2):
    Well played Gary!! Unfortunately I was the bubble boy holding the 99 if you remember! GL in others
    Posted by killjoy87
    did you have the 5's mate and didnt cash cause bob had the 9's?
  • edited July 2014
    WP GG

But man get them Aces in its not the wsop ME.
  • edited August 2014
    UPDATE:- 6th August 2014
    Not done much in terms of playing on Sky recently, but I have been playing the monday DTD's - a couple of week's of close-run things, I binked myself £2.50 in a free-roll...Since then I've occasionally been usually finishing in the middle of the pack somewhere in the said DTD's.

More recently, I've been once again playing the odd DYM and been doing rather well! I think this comes from being "well oiled" after practicing the concept elsewhere for microstakes & also play money tables, which amazingly are actually playing rather well, in the fact that the people I've been playing these practice tables with have been treating them relatively seriously and playing quite legit, unlike some of the ALL-IN Every hand which CAN & Often DOES blight play/practice tables.

Much better BRM in R/L means I'm going to shortly be in the position to make my first deposit, and it looks very appealing to try on Devonfish's strategy and reload myself £40 and take on the £1 dym's.

I want to track my progress, but not make it too difficult, Like I do at the moment, where I HAVE a spreadsheet but it's set across three/four tabs. I want something but simpler than this. 

So than as soon as I put in the number of win's in a session, it'll give me a value i've profited from the wins, and minus, OBV, the buy-in's and defeats..

Any assistance/ideas welcome - BTW Ideally I'd want it to be done within MS-EXCEL but I only possess the earlier versions of XL which can just read the older XLS format, and NOT the XLSX format you regularly see today!
    regards
    Gary
  • edited August 2014
    Hi Gary,
    Glad things are going better for you.
    once you deposit your £40 or whatever even £20 to £30 would be enough to get you going on the £1 dym's let me know when you are going to play a session, just post up what day/time you are playing in my dym diary, & i'll take a look & see if i can spot anything while you are playing, which might help.
    sometimes something can be very obvious to someone watching & the player might have no idea what they are doing wrong, so it would be worth having a go.
    if you are not winning most sessions at the £1 level especially, then you have leaks in your game for sure, which we can look at & help to get rid of.
    i've no idea what ms-excel is etc, i just record my wins v losses and show my balance at the end of each session, which i'm sure you know anyway, which is simple enough & all i need to know.
    anyway, gl mate...give me a shout if you feel like it.
    run good,
    dev
  • edited August 2014
    STARTING OUT!
    Well, after having issues with registering my P/Paid card and having to work through paypal instead, This afternoon I finally got my deposit to finally work and uploaded, and tonight I settled down to play some DYM's after busting early from an MTT elsewhere.

I can only describe what was a knightmare session to begin-with and my first game was very swingy, with it not decided on who would be bubble right until late stages of Blind-Level 10!

This set the precendent right from the get-go and it stayed that way, NOT in my favour in the other two £1 DYM's I played - so the results of session 1:-

SESSION 1
    STARTING ROLL £51.80 (incl £5 gift from sky!)
    FRI 8/8
    Plyd 3
    Wins 0
    Losses 3

Loss -£3.45    BR £48.35

Am now going to drop down and give some 60p games a try - I MUST play alot tighter - am sure I played TOO many hands!
  • edited August 2014
    SESSION 2 - 60P TRYOUTS
    So after my disasterous start, I knew that I was "Bang in form" on the 60p DYM's so I decided to register myself for a DYM. I cashed/won it and then did so again, but in the third I wasn't so lucky so brought to a halt a five game winning strreak at this level of competition.. Will duly update my opening post shortly

60P DYM
    Plyd:- 3
    Won:- 2
    Lost:- 1

£0.20 PROFIT    NEW BR £48.55

More games tomorrow afternoon(Saturday)
  • edited August 2014
    GOOD LUCK with your challenge Gary, i'm sure with good brm & patience you will do it.
    yes, those £1 games do seem to be a struggle for you at the moment but i'm sure it won't be very long before you get the hang of them & start winning them.
    there are quite a few reg's who play them as i know from playing them myself, & they all play a good solid game, so you will need to play well to win there.
    play tight for the 1st 2 or 3 levels then slowly open up stealing blinds from your button, etc from levlels 3-4 onwards.
    don't get tempted to play aq aj or pocket pairs on those first levels either, that's another way you lose chips very easily, you have to be patient.
    sticking to your 60p games is ok then why noy say i'll just try 1 x £1 game & see how that goes. if i win i'll stop and take the 85p win.
    best wishes, play tight run good,
    dev
    what sort of time are you playing?, i'll watch you.

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: From £50 to £500 Gary Laud's NEW challenge! First deposit made 8/8/14 (BR Now £48.35):
    GOOD LUCK with your challenge Gary, i'm sure with good brm & patience you will do it. yes, those £1 games do seem to be a struggle for you at the moment but i'm sure it won't be very long before you get the hang of them & start winning them. there are quite a few reg's who play them as i know from playing them myself, & they all play a good solid game, so you will need to play well to win there. play tight for the 1st 2 or 3 levels then slowly open up stealing blinds from your button, etc from levlels 3-4 onwards. don't get tempted to play aq aj or pocket pairs on those first levels either, that's another way you lose chips very easily, you have to be patient. sticking to your 60p games is ok then why noy say i'll just try 1 x £1 game & see how that goes. if i win i'll stop and take the 85p win. best wishes, play tight run good, dev what sort of time are you playing?, i'll watch you.
    Posted by devonfish5
    Hi devon, id imagine i be starting my sky session around 3:30-4pm today, as i need to be done by six as am going out for the evening! Hope you can join me, thats not a bad idea just doing one £1 table until i get used to them as i can win back a defeat at 60p level easily enough based on current form! Thanks again, regards Gary
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: From £50 to £500 Gary Laud's NEW challenge! First deposit made 8/8/14 (BR Now £48.35):
    In Response to Re: From £50 to £500 Gary Laud's NEW challenge! First deposit made 8/8/14 (BR Now £48.35) : Hi devon, id imagine i be starting my sky session around 3:30-4pm today, as i need to be done by six as am going out for the evening! Hope you can join me, thats not a bad idea just doing one £1 table until i get used to them as i can win back a defeat at 60p level easily enough based on current form! Thanks again, regards Gary
    Posted by GaryLaud
    no worries mate,
    i'll look out for you at 3.30pm/
    yeah, playing just 1 x £1 table then stropping if you win is a good idea, i'm doing it myself at the £3 level at the moment.
    if you lose that 1st game then you have the choice either load up 2 more and try and win those 2 giving you a 55p win or play just 1 more giving you a 30p loss or of course just accept losing the 1 game of £1.15 & continue playing 60p games.
    you should deffo be watching the £1 tables though & making notes on players, who limps who slow plays etc, if not you are learning as you play & paying for it too.
    i can't stress enough how important it is having notes on players as these notes will dictate how you play against them, it is like walking either with or against a 30 mph wind, that's the difference.
    of course you just want to play games i understand that, but even winning at the £1 level isn't going to be easy for you right now as it is a step up from the much looser 60p games.
    you will need to work at it as they aren't going to be giving you their money, i can tell you that from experience.
    good luck for later,
    dev
  • edited August 2014
    A £50 - £500 challenge is a hugh challenge to you. I dont want to be negative i think its nearly impossible. Why not set yourself small achivable targets like trying to win £10 or £2 a day or 6 from 10 DYMs. Hit your goal then set another small achivable target.

Run well
  • edited August 2014
    A £50 - £500 challenge is a hugh challenge to you. I dont want to be negative i think its nearly impossible. Why not set yourself small achivable targets like trying to win £10 or £2 a day or 6 from 10 DYMs. Hit your goal then set another small achivable target. Run well
    Posted by spinky6108
    Sorry spinky, have to say this:-
    I agree it is a huge challenge.. but's it's not impossible. if Gary puts his mind to it & applies himself it is very much possible.
    it will all come down to how much he wants it & then how he goes about achieving it, imo
    from my experience & from my last challenge, the most important thing is as always good brm, if you use it well you will succeed almost every time....
    oh, and the will to win, lets not underestimate that little thing.
  • edited August 2014
    Hi Devon - Just about to get started in my session as advised!
  • edited August 2014
    Hi Devon - Just about to get started in my session as advised!
    Posted by GaryLaud
    I'm watching mate  gl
    just play your normal game
  • edited August 2014
    WELL!!!!!!!!! Looks like you brought me some Luck! 1x Played, 1x Cashed and at £1 LEVEL! GET IN!

Now what? onto another one? or book the win and play some 60p games from here on?
  • edited August 2014
    well done m8... bit close at the end when he hit his q  :)

• edited August 2014
    WELL!!!!!!!!! Looks like you brought me some Luck! 1x Played, 1x Cashed and at £1 LEVEL! GET IN! Now what? onto another one? or book the win and play some 60p games from here on?
    Posted by GaryLaud
    up 2 you mate, how do you feel?

• edited August 2014
    i'd book the win mate..
    play some 60p
  • edited August 2014
    nice to book the win and get that confidence going for tomorrow
  • edited August 2014
    i thought you played well.
    liked the way you dwelled down before you made your descisions.
    played nice n tight early doors... good.
    liked the aj hand nice hitting trip aces.
    calling a bit too much for my liking, but i do it too so not that bad.
    didn't like the 300 call you made on the bubble with short stack sitting there...
    the hand you had to fold to players allin shove.
    but good overall game i thought, wp