You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

GARY L'S BR THREAD BR £24 (Cash tables started 15/10/14, 4NL)

Comments

• edited August 2014
    SESSION 4:- WEDS 13/8

HAD to split my session today for various reasons - but ended up with some good results either way...Somehow at the end of my first session, I think I had clicked "accept" to register myself for another 60p DYM rather than cancel on the automatic prompt as when I came back and checked "My Account" I found I had a -60p against my name, suggesting I'd played and LOST a DYM, when at that stage, I hadn't.

Second part of my session I did 2x DYM's at 60p Level just to finish up my day's quota and I cashed/won 1x and lost the other. (I've included the 60p net loss in my variance but NOT reflected in actual games played/scores) I AM though, VERY encouraged by the fact that I've managed to WIN the £1 game I've played during my last three sessions - am starting to get used to those now I feel!
    TODAYS DYMS
    60p DYMs
    Played 3    
    Success 2 £2.00 Winnings
    Fails 1 £0.20 Variance
    Win % 66.67%    

£1.15 DYMs
    Played 1    
    Success 1 £2.00 Winnings
    Fails 0 £0.85 Variance
    Win % 100.00%    

TOTAL VARIANCE TODAY £0.45
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: From £50 to £??? Gary Laud's NEW challenge! First deposit made 8/8/14 (BR Now £48.39):
    if your family are causing you distractions then it's probably not optimal for you to be playing at those times of day. obviously you choose when you play but if it was me i'd find a better time. if you are serious about trying to win money playing dym's you have to give it 100% concentration all the time, as every tiny mistake you make adds up & over time costs you money, especially if/when you move up levels. anyway mate, not having a go or anything just want you to succeed that's all.
    Posted by devonfish5
    HI devon
    I think I'll be sticking to playing similar times, It's just there was one or two unfortunate things going on around me today meaning I couldn't devote the full attention to that 60p game you watched with fallacy talking rubbish again in the chat...hence I brought my session to a halt there and played some more later...

except tomorrow, I am out with friends tomorrow from 4pm, SO, I may well take in a session around Midday-2pm so that I'm done as & when my lunch is ready!
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: From £50 to £??? Gary Laud's NEW challenge! First deposit made 8/8/14 (BR Now £47.74):
    SESSION 3 - SUND 10/8 TODAYS DYMS 60p DYMs Played 4     Success 1 £1.00 Winnings Fails 3 -£1.40 Variance Win % 25.00%                     £1.15 DYMs Played 1     Success 0 £0.00 Winnings Fails 1 -£1.15 Variance Win % 0.00%             TOTAL VARIANCE TODAY -£2.55 Pretty much disaster of a session on Sund Nt, After having decided to play, I started with a £1 dym, I was going on okay with four left when i got AA. all went ok until the river when my opponent shoves in front of me for around 1.5k - Stupid i quickly call to find he turns over q9o to crush my AA with 2xpr, SIGH, gg This then kind of set the benchmark for how i played rest of evening, thank god i decided on 60p dyms!!! Played really badly and won just 1 from 4 of these games As i typed this out, I was pretty mad that a single crazy/bad session has undone the great work witnessed by DEV on Saturday! - lesson, never play competative poker when tired! Time to rebuild again come later today!! (Monday) EDIT, MOND 11 AUG:- Looking at my games from last night BR should have been £0.69p Lower than what I have posted, but I hadn't realised a bet I placed before my deposit on the USPGA has been rewarded & paid out, that In I had wagered a small amount on Mr McIlroy to win the USPGA and he Did!!!
    Posted by GaryLaud

sorry gary mate but one win at 60p level is actually 40p winnings....and 3 losses at 60p level is £1.80 loss...sorry to correct your math buddy 

regards

vin
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: From £50 to £??? Gary Laud's NEW challenge! First deposit made 8/8/14 (BR Now £47.74):
    Unlucky y'day Gary, yeah, always horrible losing with AA isn't it,  think you said somewhere on my post he hit 2 pair from flop, which is unlucky for you.. could you have folded river? maybe, but aa is always hard to let go of aa. at least you stopped and only lost on the lower 60p games, which is some consolation. hang in there,... i went down from £40 to £33 at my start, so i know it can be tough to get going but once you get to £60 or so it will all seem so much easier than it is right now. this is your hard part, once you get this out the way, it should all fall in to place, trust me.  I don't play on Sundays now, as it just doesn't seem to be a winning day for me, but i know just how you feel mate. still keep positive, today is the start of a new week, run good play tight, & get that b/r back over the £50 mark. best wishes, dev
    Posted by devonfish5
      YES.... went out of the freeroll holding AA  (lost to 55)  and also my last game of the day a £3.30 dym i went out holding AA to krarakajacks 22 ....never nice

regards 

vin
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: From £50 to £??? Gary Laud's NEW challenge! First deposit made 8/8/14 (BR Now £47.74) : sorry gary mate but one win at 60p level is actually 40p winnings....and 3 losses at 60p level is £1.80 loss...sorry to correct your math buddy  regards vin
    Posted by vinny67
    It isn't actually, when you look at the prizes you will see that a 60p DYM actually awards you with £1 when you cash in one - 40p is actually the profit when you take off the entry fee, which my spreadsheet does as a matter of course - PM me your email address, I'll copy over the tab I use to keep score and you will see what I am talking about, also if you check the lobby for sit & go's here you will also see what I am trying to say!

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: From £50 to £??? Gary Laud's NEW challenge! First deposit made 8/8/14 (BR Now £48.39):
    In Response to Re: From £50 to £??? Gary Laud's NEW challenge! First deposit made 8/8/14 (BR Now £48.39) : HI devon I think I'll be sticking to playing similar times, It's just there was one or two unfortunate things going on around me today meaning I couldn't devote the full attention to that 60p game you watched with fallacy talking rubbish again in the chat...hence I brought my session to a halt there and played some more later... except tomorrow, I am out with friends tomorrow from 4pm, SO, I may well take in a session around Midday-2pm so that I'm done as & when my lunch is ready!
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Where to even start with you Gary. You booked a win at 60p, cos a player was away, u had less than a thousand chips, you were lucky that player disapeared cos you were about to lose. Obviously you didn't mention that here, to you that was a 'great result.'
    You say I was talking rubbish, I was merely mentioning the truth. I played you in a 60p to prove a point. In that game you got to 4k chips, declared you'd 'won' and were a shark at 60p level and you soon would be at 1.15 level. I copied that line about you being a shark and posted it to you in the game, I'll spare you here though. You then of course lost the game, as you have no idea that getting to 4K early on means nothing, you merely borrowed some chips for a while and then gave them back. As you always do.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: From £50 to £??? Gary Laud's NEW challenge! First deposit made 8/8/14 (BR Now £48.39) : In the 60p game I won, I had alot going on in the background, probably should have waited some more before starting that one, and then when I finished it, I could have sworn I'd clicked cancel to register for another game, as per the prompt that usually appears but must have clicked accept as there's a 60p DYM LOSS in my account...hence I as probably away for all that game!!!! Doesn't help when you live "at home" and you get distractions like family calling you away for whatever reason...am about to resume my session, but alas there doesn't seem to be any demand for those 60p DYMs ATM :(
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Ok, I'll say it.

What ROI are you hoping for with this game of 20% rake? 10%? 20%? Let's say you're untouchable and achieve 20%. Every time you sit down you make 12p. Cool. 6 tables on the go? 72p. Each round about 40mins? Ok, £1.08 every hour. Focusing your attention on this rather than family at these times is your choice, but perhaps a regrettable one.  For that return I'd want nothing else to do.  No, I'd want it to prevent me self-harming.

If you've got the game move away from 20% rake as fast as you can. Sure you've played enough games to work out whether you've got the hang of it?  Even moving to £1 would help, £50 BR @£1.15 should last long enough to tell you whether to knock it on the head.
  • edited August 2014
    the last time Gary moved up to the £1 level he ended up losing his b/roll in a session or two i believe.
    Gary is a family man who essentially plays poker for fun & is now looking to improve his game, with aim of moving up through the levels. yes he wants to become a shark & why not, nothing wrong with saying that or wanting to try & win some money.... don't we all.
    i started at the 60p level then moved up to the £1 level & learnt how to multi-table & improve my game there, and have done pretty well since, i think. can't see why Gary shouldn't be able to do the same in time.
    it's easy to come here & have a go at a player who is at least prepared to record his progress, good or bad, for everyone to see, & that should be congratulated & encouraged, not criticised, & that's not referring to anyone in particular just everyone in general.
    Give the guy a break he's doing his best & is a descent guy at that.
    Go Gary.

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: From £50 to £??? Gary Laud's NEW challenge! First deposit made 8/8/14 (BR Now £48.84):
    the last time Gary moved up to the £1 level he ended up losing his b/roll in a session or two i believe. Gary is a family man who essentially plays poker for fun & is now looking to improve his game, with aim of moving up through the levels. yes he wants to become a shark & why not, nothing wrong with saying that or wanting to try & win some money.... don't we all. i started at the 60p level then moved up to the £1 level & learnt how to multi-table & improve my game there, and have done pretty well since, i think. can't see why Gary shouldn't be able to do the same in time. it's easy to come here & have a go at a player who is at least prepared to record his progress, good or bad, for everyone to see, & that should be congratulated & encouraged, not criticised, & that's not referring to anyone in particular just everyone in general. Give the guy a break he's doing his best & is a descent guy at that. Go Gary.
    Posted by devonfish5

"I can't see why Gary shouldn't be able to do the same." That's your problem right there. Gary does not listen to help full stop, he doesn't apply any advice that anyone gives him. He lost his BR in 1.15 games that me & Vin were playing at the time. We tried to advise him how to play them but he just doesn't listen or ever improve his game.
    If I was coaching him, I would tell him to never EVER play 60p DYM's. They are the worst game that Sky puts on, they are horrendous value. They often run to nearly an hour, for 40p when he stands to lose 60p, is a waste of his time, and he will learn nothing because of how the runners in them play poker. 
    He has £50, he should play 1.15's and only them, and start to listen to players who know what they are doing.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: From £50 to £??? Gary Laud's NEW challenge! First deposit made 8/8/14 (BR Now £48.84):
    In Response to  Re: From £50 to £??? Gary Laud's NEW challenge! First deposit made 8/8/14 (BR Now £48.84) : "I can't see why Gary shouldn't be able to do the same." That's your problem right there. Gary does not listen to help full stop, he doesn't apply any advice that anyone gives him. He lost his BR in 1.15 games that me & Vin were playing at the time. We tried to advise him how to play them but he just doesn't listen or ever improve his game. If I was coaching him, I would tell him to never EVER play 60p DYM's. They are the worst game that Sky puts on, they are horrendous value. They often run to nearly an hour, for 40p when he stands to lose 60p, is a waste of his time, and he will learn nothing because of how the runners in them play poker.  He has £50, he should play 1.15's and only them, and start to listen to players who know what they are doing.
    Posted by thefa1lacy

TRUE THAT 
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: From £50 to £??? Gary Laud's NEW challenge! First deposit made 8/8/14 (BR Now £48.84):
    the last time Gary moved up to the £1 level he ended up losing his b/roll in a session or two i believe. Gary is a family man who essentially plays poker for fun & is now looking to improve his game, with aim of moving up through the levels. yes he wants to become a shark & why not, nothing wrong with saying that or wanting to try & win some money.... don't we all. i started at the 60p level then moved up to the £1 level & learnt how to multi-table & improve my game there, and have done pretty well since, i think. can't see why Gary shouldn't be able to do the same in time. it's easy to come here & have a go at a player who is at least prepared to record his progress, good or bad, for everyone to see, & that should be congratulated & encouraged, not criticised, & that's not referring to anyone in particular just everyone in general. Give the guy a break he's doing his best & is a descent guy at that. Go Gary.
    Posted by devonfish5
    +1 Thanks Dev!
  • edited August 2014
    Posted by devonfish5
    Guess that's part of the problem, you want to be an ascent guy.

What do we mean by 'session'? Gary seems to be playing 3 or 4 games a day. You'd do well to destroy £50 in £1.15 games over a 2 week period if that's the case. Seriously, the quicker the rake can be reduced the better, it's very near unbeatable at 20% IMO.

Giving a +1 to people who tell you what you want to hear and a -1 to those who challenge your approach will hold you back. 

A family guy who refers to his family as distractions from his 60p games in the middle of the day. Hmmm, not sure howich of this is genuine or levelling but I hope your energies aren't being wasted Dev.
  • edited August 2014

I have been playing DYMs for some while now so I would like to add a little.

First of all stop 60p DYMS the rake is just wayyyy to high. If you are playing for fun I would just play the 30p turbo dyms heres some of my reasons: -

You get 1 point everytime you play so you get 20% rakeback
    These are great to learn how to play DYMs as teaches you shove fold poker
    You will be able to double the games you play as they are much faster, you could play 4 an hour 1 tabling
    Teach you to be more aggro latter stages
    WIth your £50 BR you could play 100s of these
    THEY ARE FUN keep the game fun
    Use the points you gain to enter FRs then if you are lucky get free cash (do not addon in these)

Also if you get sick of these play the 55p 6 max speed top 2 paid. Only 10% rake much more value than 60p DYMs.

Or as BBMike says just go straight to 1.15 games but even in these you have to be very good to beat rake.

Gary this is similar to what I did to change my game around. I am now play 3.30s dyms and 5.50s and I use the profit I make to enter one or two tourneys a week.

• edited August 2014
    Unlucky Gary, you nearly cashed in that £1.15 game.  You were above 2k at the start for a little while then it seemed to go downhill from there.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: From £50 to £??? Gary Laud's NEW challenge! First deposit made 8/8/14 (BR Now £48.84) : Guess that's part of the problem, you want to be an ascent guy. Posted by bbMike
    lol great spot!

I think stuarty has it nailed, if you are playing to try and build a roll (just on DYM) then you have to get up to £3.30 games and reduce the rake impact asap - ie get on the 1.15 games now and hope to heater your way to £100 so you can get on the £2/£3 games.

If you are playing for fun, sure try and learn and improve as you go, but drop down to micro stakes and chuck in the occasional micro tourni to see if you can bink a few quid.

20% rake is just a joke, I'd be surprised if there are more than a handful of people on Sky that could beat that over a big sample... and if they could then they would be more than good enough to play higher buy in games with a smaller number of buy-ins on their bankroll!

ps - if everyone stops playing the games with crazy rake, perhaps Sky might take the hint...
  • edited August 2014
    All
    I am getting rather bored, tired and downhearted with all of these messages saying "dont play this" or "don't do that" and so on and the constant barrage I am getting regarding the smaller micro-buy in games..

Respectfully, could I please ask that you all cease filling my diary thread with  constant talk about the rake % at the 60p - £2 buy in Sit & Go's.

It's been endlessly debated across many topics and there was at least two pages of my previous diary taken up by the same discussions, which are happening again!

so respectfully please STOP!

PS It is MY Bankroll challenge and I will play it the way I see fit - Granted that Devonfish IS giving me advice, pointers and helpful hints & tips on how to progress at these levels, as He has proven that you CAN, if you win /> 65% of your games begin to SLOWLY build a bankroll from playing these levels.

I am a FUN, Recreational player, and obviously this Irk's a small X-Section of our community who are clearly playing either "competatively" or for Money..
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Constant messages regarding rake - PLS STOP IT!:
    All I am getting rather bored, of you trying to help me and point out where I'm going wrong, if you could just let me get on with it, write a blog about how the plan is failing and not listen to a single one of you I'd be eternally grateful.  Actually what would please me most if people just left posts saying "Gary you're the best, your strategy is A1 and I can see it suceeding with ease" that way I can continue my quest unaided and show you what a shark at 60p DYM level really looks like.  Thanks for your cooperation in this matter.
    Posted by Gary Laud

Powerful stuff Gary.  

p.s I think the rake is too high in the games you play.
  • edited August 2014
    playing either "competatively" or for Money..
    Posted by GaryLaud
    What irks me Gary are people who play sky poker and say it's NOT about the money and they couldn't care if they lose their stake and the stake is ONLY XXX.  If you're not bothered about the stake or winning money there are plenty of sites out there that allow you to play with pretend money.  It would meet your objective of not playing for money to a tee.
  • edited August 2014
    Ok please clarify the objective of your thread because I think I missed it. I had thought this was a bankroll challenge? So what are you challenging your bankroll to do? Go up? If so you want to get more value for your time.

Stuarty gave you some sterling advice, he pointed out you can get a better return actually dropping stakes! And you could easily gain enough points to pick up some free cash and free bets from the Premiership promotion. Instead of playing 1x 60p play 2x 30p. If the long term aim is to move up and get even more value for your time, multi-tabling will be a useful skill to develop. The lower rake also helps lol.

Like I say, I don't get it. If this BR challenge is not about money and you don't want people to offer advice then what's this all about? Just a chat with yourself and the occasional virtual hug from Dev? People are trying to help here, you should try listening once in a while as you're coming across as being not only clueless but ungrateful too.
  • edited August 2014
    Have to agree with bbmike regarding the promotion. I don't normally play sng but since Monday I've played 8 hours of 30p turbos (single table) to achieve my 50 points, made a few pennies on the way, and am now in with a chance of cashing in the promo. But according to the list you haven't opted in, worth a shot at some free money.
  • edited August 2014
    All I am getting rather bored, tired and downhearted with all of these messages saying "dont play this" or "don't do that" and so on and the constant barrage I am getting regarding the smaller micro-buy in games.. Respectfully, could I please ask that you all cease filling my diary thread with  constant talk about the rake % at the 60p - £2 buy in Sit & Go's. It's been endlessly debated across many topics and there was at least two pages of my previous diary taken up by the same discussions, which are happening again! so respectfully please STOP! PS It is MY Bankroll challenge and I will play it the way I see fit - Granted that Devonfish IS giving me advice, pointers and helpful hints & tips on how to progress at these levels, as He has proven that you CAN, if you win /> 65% of your games begin to SLOWLY build a bankroll from playing these levels. I am a FUN, Recreational player, and obviously this Irk's a small X-Section of our community who are clearly playing either "competatively" or for Money..
    Posted by GaryLaud

This completely sums you up Gary, ie YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO LISTEN TO ANYONE! I'm a winning player at 1.15, 2.25, 3.30, 5.50 and the 11's, but I am a losing player at 60p, as everyone is. But no, Gary Laud knows best and he 'will' beat the 60p's! 
    I must admit Gary, and I know it's wrong, but yes I do play competitively and even worse, yes I play for money. I always thought that was the point, but then Gary knows best. 
    Also if you are not playing for money, why did you call this your £50 to £500 challenge????

• edited August 2014
    WHAT?? People play poker competitively? for money?? there is absolutely no need whatsoever for this kind of behaviour and if if i spot any of these "competitive, money making " scoundrels i will forthwith report them to sky, i know they will punish these individuals to the best of there ability... may i please stress that if any1 lands on garylauds table then you MUST fold every hand you are dealt and not in any way be competitive or expect to win any money....

hope thats cleared this matter up and i do hope there will be no more of these shenanigans!!!

regards 

vinny
  • edited August 2014
    To be fair Gary, you do practise what you preach. You criticised us for playing to make money, but you haven't made any money. If you started on £51.80 and your now on £47.69, that definitely wouldn't qualify as making money. Well done for sticking to your guns..
  • edited August 2014
    I see you've edited your original rant.

I'm still 50/50 whether this is all just one huge level but for the time being I'll pretend that it's serious.

You have had so many people trying to advise you. They have done this because that's what poker people do. They talk about the rake because it's a valid point. It's not to get at you. We nearly all play for fun but we do like to win as well. To state that it irks a  section of the community because you play for fun is just ridiculous.

Finally you've seen sense and have actually listened, a little bit anyway, to Devonfish who is a lovely bloke and a good Dym player. The majority of the time you seem to just ignore anyone who tries to give you constructive critism.

Do you remember that in a moment of madness I offered to help you? You sent me a pm and then I didn't hear any more from you. I was quite prepared to help but I certainly wasn't going to chase you to give it.

You've had loads of support up to now. Unfortunately, unless we say that you're great and will soon be crushing then you don't want to know.
  • edited August 2014
    Gary

I have just typed in a long post and thanks to the forum timing out on mobiles I have lost the lot.  But I will repeat the key points. 
  • edited August 2014
    most posters here are giving you advice
    whether you want to take their advice is totally up to you
    but you should be gracious and thankful for it regardless

• edited August 2014
    And that seems to be lacking
    If you want this just to be a conversation between you and dev that's up to you although email might be a better means of communication between just two people
  • edited August 2014
    If not then you will find many players here happy to provide you with their opinions
    and in most cases they will be trying to help you succeed
    success stories are much more interesting in poker than fails given that is the majority situation
  • edited August 2014
    You are an ok poker player
    you proved that with dtd
    which means that the most critical factor in your dym success or not is the rake.  It is so much more important than your ability at the micro levels. that is why many people are giving you advice on how to beat it. Don't be dismissive be thankful. 
  • edited August 2014
    I think Geldy is right Gary. You should be gracious and thankful, if not to all to all the contributors, at least to me, Vinny and Riptide. We've devoted our precious time, that could have been spent playing actual poker, to try and help you on your noble poker quest to beat the fabled 60 pence variant of our beloved DYM's.