You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My story

Comments

• edited July 2015
    Right then, I am definitely going to work on the decking tomorrow, I have got my tools ready, the weather forecast seems ok, I am feeling up for it, and my son Alex said he will come round at 10 am to help ( May expand to mid day haha)

I usually play poker Saturday evenings but I told the wife I would play this evening instead and tomorrow evening we can look online and ring various travel companies for a cruise around about Oct,Nov.

This evenings poker went ok, made the f/t of the 1k gtd £5 entry b/h, once again I raised 2x on the button with AA and bb defended wi 56, 66 flop and bye bye Thomas, I really must learn to play them Aces lol.

Off to bed for me, hope all you readers are well and I am keeping you on tenterhooks, nowt like a story with a oh my goodness whats gna happen, is he going to finish the decking, is it going to rain, will his tools hold up, will he have enough screws.. Stephen King pah.

Good luck all. Stay happy :)
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: My story:
    Right then, I am definitely going to work on the decking tomorrow, I have got my tools ready, the weather forecast seems ok, I am feeling up for it, and my son Alex said he will come round at 10 am to help ( May expand to mid day haha) I usually play poker Saturday evenings but I told the wife I would play this evening instead and tomorrow evening we can look online and ring various travel companies for a cruise around about Oct,Nov. This evenings poker went ok, made the f/t of the 1k gtd £5 entry b/h, once again I raised 2x on the button with AA and bb defended wi 56, 66 flop and bye bye Thomas, I really must learn to play them Aces lol. Off to bed for me, hope all you readers are well and I am keeping you on tenterhooks, nowt like a story with a oh my goodness whats gna happen, is he going to finish the decking, is it going to rain, will his tools hold up, will he have enough screws.. Stephen King pah. Good luck all. Stay happy :)
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Was good to see you on the tables tonight Tom. Well played and good luck to you and Alex tomorrow with the decking. Hope he's not too late! lol ;)
  • edited August 2015
    Love reading your stories Tom :)
    Hope you get on with the decking today and show us a picture! x
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: My story : Was good to see you on the tables tonight Tom. Well played and good luck to you and Alex tomorrow with the decking. Hope he's not too late! lol ;)
    Posted by Darkangel7
    Thanks Olive, sorry I couldn't chat much- I was playing 3 or 4 tournaments at the time and folk were going all in pretty much every orbit, 8,9. Suited is a tough decision when you've raised and someone shoves :) course it's a snap call when I have em covered in a b/h lol. Never ceases to amaze me when they get a bit tetchy when I hit ,do they want a call or not? 

Hope you are well and getting lots of practice for the upcoming UKPC , good luck in that x
  • edited August 2015
    Love reading your stories Tom :) Hope you get on with the decking today and show us a picture! x
    Posted by mrsduck
    Aw thanks Mrs.D. I shall update the progress below, hope you are well and keeping focussed on your brm. ( this time the iPad changed the m to an a in brm , what is it with my posts to your good self ;)
  • edited August 2015
    Ok doky, the first line of my post above States I have my tools ready ey.
    Saturday : I am in good spirits and looking forward to the task ahead, get the drills out, plug the spare batteries in, open the box with the skill saw I borrowed from work, take 15mins trying to work out how to turn it on and set the depth stop and run it in the track, alls good and we are ready to go....Remember we have angles to cut on the border and it's then I realise I have left my winkle fix at work ...Doh!

Text the boss to ask if it's ok to go in and get it. ( I am learning ) he says yes., happy days :) toddle up to work, gate padlock opens splendid, try to lock it, nope it's not having it agh , spend 10 minutes working out how the daft thing works and finally the da Vinci code locks, no more hassle in getting the aforementioned digital angle finder.

Finally ready to start about 11am, weather is glorious, wife lets me off the weekend cleaning duties, Alex is here and willing to give his day up to help, what can you say about that ey, I am so lucky.
    I have to insist that he stays away from the sky satellite dish which they had to put on the fence apparently( when we were doing the base we both knocked it umpteen times and I had to get the engineer out to put it right..oops )
  • edited August 2015
    Alex and i start on the border, he has the great idea that as the decking is double faced we could put one face on the border and the other face as the boarding,I holler the wife mid mopping the floor tiles and show her how it will look ( you have guessed by now I am not the decision maker on aesthetics ) She agrees with him and off we go.

The border is a bit of a head scratcher as it is important to get the angles and lengths absolutely perfect to make the boarding go right when we start that, the overlap of the boards to the base was decided as a wedge width (which I had used to level the base) all went really well albeit time consuming. This time I took pictures of work in progress, I forgot last time at the old house, I like to have them to look back on.

We finished the border as the wife came out to help, she made us both lunch and I was a little bit achy but desperate to carry on, Alex was a massive help, I couldn't have done it without him. When he used to help me do stuff in the old house it was pretty much me in charge and him doing what I say, now he is on a level par and has his own ideas which show how he has grown and his willingness is a blessing, proud doesn't seem a good enough word to describe my feelings for him.

• edited August 2015
    Sunday: Alex has a day out planned with his girlfriend, my good lady wife says she will help me, I am so happy.

Once again the weather is lovely and I get all the tools out (Winkle fix included) and off we go.

The angle of the fence is 101.4 degrees, the angle of the board end to the first border is 90.6 degrees ( bad bordering lol) we crack on, it's a little bit hard on the back for both of us as we have to keep bending down to fix the boards in, fitting the boards to exact dimensions is also time consuming ( I'm a little bit of a perfectionist,then see the flaws after type of guy) 

We worked really hard all day and on looking at what we achieved when we were both on our last legs I once again was a little emotional ( I am getting rather soft in my old age) We managed to do the larger half of the 2. 

Sunday dinner was put on hold til Monday and we ordered a take away..yummy chicken madras.

Next week will be the final instalment weather permitting and photos will be added if I can remember how :)
    Be lucky all and most important be happy x
  • edited August 2015
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh re notts, am not thinking about it.........lmao

Tbh am running like a 3 legged donkey but better to get it out of the way now stead of later.

Love reading your updates and so glad that you have Alex to help you. Looking forward to the final instalment and to the pictures too........

Hope you are well. xx
  • edited August 2015
    This week I have been rather unwell in the mornings, I know I shouldn't but I am worrying that all is not well. I discussed with the wife how I was feeling and she reminded me that the consultant said my inner regions could be perminately damaged due to the radiotherapy, well that's a relief :)

Plenty of great posts appearing on the poker chat section, I second the Tikay must write a book, fascinating bloggage so far, what a life the great man has lead.

I have been just going through the motions with my poker lately, need to stop that pronto, maybe I will bore everyone and try to win a seat at UKPC,  I would defo love to go, it would be great to see everyone there.

Having a home game tomorrow, first one in the new house. I shall be keeping a keen eye on the placement of beer bottles :)
    Good luck all, be happy.
  • edited August 2015
    This week I have been rather unwell in the mornings, I know I shouldn't but I am worrying that all is not well. I discussed with the wife how I was feeling and she reminded me that the consultant said my inner regions could be perminately damaged due to the radiotherapy, well that's a relief :) Plenty of great posts appearing on the poker chat section, I second the Tikay must write a book, fascinating bloggage so far, what a life the great man has lead. I have been just going through the motions with my poker lately, need to stop that pronto, maybe I will bore everyone and try to win a seat at UKPC,  I would defo love to go, it would be great to see everyone there. Having a home game tomorrow, first one in the new house. I shall be keeping a keen eye on the placement of beer bottles :) Good luck all, be happy.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Be great to see you again Tom if you did get a seat! Hope all is well.
  • edited August 2015
    This week I have been rather unwell in the mornings, I know I shouldn't but I am worrying that all is not well. I discussed with the wife how I was feeling and she reminded me that the consultant said my inner regions could be perminately damaged due to the radiotherapy, well that's a relief :) Plenty of great posts appearing on the poker chat section, I second the Tikay must write a book, fascinating bloggage so far, what a life the great man has lead. I have been just going through the motions with my poker lately, need to stop that pronto, maybe I will bore everyone and try to win a seat at UKPC,  I would defo love to go, it would be great to see everyone there. Having a home game tomorrow, first one in the new house. I shall be keeping a keen eye on the placement of beer bottles :) Good luck all, be happy.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Morning Tom,

Hope you soon feel better, feeling unwell sucks.

Be great to see you at UKPC - try & win a seat.

More decking adventures this weekend, with your boy?

• edited August 2015
    Thanks Mr.K, I feel a little better today, and I have started on the decking with help from son Colin.
    We have just retired for lunch, it is blisteringly hot out and I am working with my top off, good job the neighbours have a big fence , my once Arnold schwachenger triangle physique has turned into a rhombus. I went to have my hormone injection Wednesday at the new doctors surgery and she decided to take my height,blood pressure and weight, her scales are definately broken....

I have entered the blog comp for any readers left on here, my son Colin just read it and said I should have posted a link to my you tube interview, I think I will pass on that one :)

I hope to be playing online tonight if I have any strength left to touch the screen.

Wish me luck ;)
  • edited August 2015
    The decking is finished (apart from the skirting under the border) I am so chuffed. I have persuaded my good lady to try and post pics up later, we have just been out shopping for decking furniture - marvellous how you need new stuff when you make summat like this ey :)

Played for a while last night, didn't fare too well - I blame the fact my arms were too tired to reach to the laptop and make the correct bet/fold, I was waiting for match of the day to start and regged for a £5 b/h later than I normally play, was really touched by xtortion wishing me luck in the chat box, some folk are really nice, I often wonder what I have done to deserve it , maybe she is my neighbour and was feeling sorry for me after viewing my bare upper region :)

My good lady said maybe if you win at poker tonight you may want to put some towards our new furniture, I said I don't normally play Sunday love, she replied that's ok love I don't mind - happy days :)

Got my fingers crossed for the blog comp, there are so many fab stories there I don't hold much hope but stranger things have happened, one time lol.

Good luck all today, be happy.x
  • edited August 2015
    So pleased you are OK
    Read a horrible story about someone doing their decking up north and dropping their circular saw
    Hoped it wasn't you
    Phew

• edited August 2015
    So pleased you are OK Read a horrible story about someone doing their decking up north and dropping their circular saw Hoped it wasn't you Phew
    Posted by GELDY
    Yes, I saw that story - or, at least, a similar one in Uttoxteter, which is in the Midlands.

"A MAN has escaped what could have been an horrific leg injury after the change in his pocket bought him good luck.

The 60 year old was using a circular saw to build some decking in his back garden when it kicked back and the blade dug into his leg.

West Midlands Ambulance Service was called to the address just outside Uttoxeter at 4.20pm on Friday afternoon. A rapid response vehicle was on scene within six minutes and was backed up by an ambulance.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: "When crews arrived they found a man who had suffered a six inch long gash to his left thigh. At it's deepest, it was almost an inch deep.

"However, although a serious wound, it could have been considerably worse had the blade not caught the coins in the man's pocket first. A number of coins had been badly damaged, but they had stopped the blade going deeper into the man's leg."

Seems to me it could have been MUCH worse. There are all sorts of bodily tackle located in & around the nethers. Makes the eyes water just thinking about it.  

• edited August 2015
    yes, that one
    since when is Uttoxeter not "oop North"? It certainly ain't darn South.

Foot-strut split isogloss

• edited August 2015
    yes, that one since when is Uttoxeter not "oop North"? It certainly ain't darn South. Foot-strut split  isogloss
    Posted by GELDY
    Behave Gelders.

Uttoxeter is in the Midlands, not "oop north". Much of Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire & Staffordshire qualify as North Midlands, but most certainly not northeners.

"oop North" is Yorkshire & that lot.

• edited August 2015
    how ya doin tom hope alls well brother,is thse decking holding up :)
  • edited August 2015
    how ya doin tom hope alls well brother,is thse decking holding up :)
    Posted by stokefc
    Hi mate, to be honest I have been on a bit of a downer lately. I went to to the docs mid-week and asked if medical science had moved on since I had been diagnosed with myalgia parasthetica, or some such Latin type name, just means my leg and hip are in constant pain daily, sleeping is an issue with the hot sweats as it is never mind the blasted pain.

Unfortunately the  answer was nope, just keep taking the tablets etc etc, oh and apparently I have been taking them wrong, I do put them in my hand then in my mouth but it isn't as straightforward as that. He has put me on a dif dosage with clear instructions that I'm not going to forget ( yeah right)
    Oh and co-codamol and paracetamol aren't supposed to be taken together, no wonder I have been feeling drowsy at work in the afternoons.
    Please forgive my lack of chat on the tables, was good to see you on ft last week, see if I start chatting I'm in danger of going off on a tangent and wallowing in sympathy ,today for instance when i hugged my wife I filled up and felt tears down my face.
    The decking is holding up nicely thanks, just haven't got round to posting pics yet.
    Ah well, onwards and upwards, hope to see you on the felt later, good luck and be happy.
  • edited August 2015
    You're doing great Tom. Life can be tough at times and we just have to wade through it. My late father was always having his meds changed as the combinations always gave him problems. Nowt one can do but constantly challenge the docs as to whether the mix is the best and whether it is possibly responsible for some of the problems. And at least it wasn't you with the circular saw! 
  • edited August 2015
    its tough m8 but keep yer chin up my friend and you,ll get to the other side,hope to see you at the tables gl
  • edited August 2015

Them ups & downs, Tom, they must be hard to bear, but you have such character, mettle, & spirit.

It must irk you something shocking when you see fit young players bemoaning a bad river card in a tenner tourney as if it were the end of the world......I know it would irk me if I were in your spot.

Tablets. It seems I've been taking them wrong all my life. So what IS the correct way to take a tablet?

"....oh and apparently I have been taking them wrong, I do put them in my hand then in my mouth but it isn't as straightforward as that....." 

• edited August 2015
    Thanks for the good wishes chaps, most appreciated.
    What a difference a day makes ( someone should write a song with that title ;)

Today I am in a better space, even managed to put 2 blinds up and 2 lots of curtain poles up, all we need now is sis in law to change our curtains from pencil pleat to eyelet ( nope me neither)

I may have been a tad fascetious on the how to take my tablets :) I am using the correct methodology of hand to mouth but the timing was out, I was on 400mg of a certain tablet taking up to 8 a day as and when needed to keep on top of the pain.

The doc I saw informed me what I really need is 300mg - 1 on day 1, 2 on day 2, 3 on day 3, then on day 4 it's 2 in am then 1mid day and 1 in evening , day 5 2,2,and1...easy .....

We have been prevaricating on the booking of a cruise for a couple of months , yesterday we took the plunge and booked it:)

Played a £5 sit n go last night, one of them which isn't a double your money, flopped nut flush, someone had 2nd nuts, unfortunately the board paired on river, course f/h trumps nut flush, was down to 1.5 bb, with blinds at 15.30,somehow went and won it from there, chip and a chair an all that malarkey :)
  • edited August 2015
    Tablets. It seems I've been taking them wrong all my life. So what IS the correct way to take a tablet? "....oh and apparently I have been taking them wrong, I do put them in my hand then in my mouth but it isn't as straightforward as that....."    
    Posted by Tikay10
    It didn't QUITE say 2 per annum.....
  • edited August 2015
    Today is 1 year since I "came out" with my condition, life for me has obviously changed since that day and looking back throughout the year I can hand on heart say that the majority of things have changed for the better.

My relationship with my incredible wife has become more loving and caring, same with my children, it's not that we didn't love each other before- it's hard to explain but you just notice the little things more.

I had the great fortune to meet a lot of the folk who play on here at the MK get together, too many names to mention but one and all were really nice folk.

I try to get more involved on the forum here and some of the blogs make for excellent reading,Jac,Dohh,TK,Maca,Ger,to mention but a few, Hrry and Sam please post more - I am not allowed on facebook :)

The folk who post on my story warm the cockles of my heart and I am so grateful thank you, I have had lots of help from Phil,Tk,Stoke,Geldy,and others who post here- folk who don't know me but have shown incredible kindness.

Finally, I have won a seat to tomorrow's Suoer roller via the rewards free roll by finishing 2nd, I shall use up more than 2 seconds on my decision making just for one day :)

Good luck all and be happy x
  • edited August 2015
    Oh Tom have jist caught back up with your thread. Your doing great. Your going to have good and bad days that's a given. Wish I had a magic wand to make you better. All the luck in the world tomorrow for the roller. Might be home late so of your still in will pop in and say hi and send you some of my magic dust. Run golden and run deep my friend. Xx
  • edited August 2015
    Today is 1 year since I "came out" with my condition, life for me has obviously changed since that day and looking back throughout the year I can hand on heart say that the majority of things have changed for the better. My relationship with my incredible wife has become more loving and caring, same with my children, it's not that we didn't love each other before- it's hard to explain but you just notice the little things more. I had the great fortune to meet a lot of the folk who play on here at the MK get together, too many names to mention but one and all were really nice folk. I try to get more involved on the forum here and some of the blogs make for excellent reading,Jac,Dohh,TK,Maca,Ger,to mention but a few, Hrry and Sam please post more - I am not allowed on facebook :) The folk who post on my story warm the cockles of my heart and I am so grateful thank you, I have had lots of help from Phil,Tk,Stoke,Geldy,and others who post here- folk who don't know me but have shown incredible kindness. Finally, I have won a seat to tomorrow's Suoer roller via the rewards free roll by finishing 2nd, I shall use up more than 2 seconds on my decision making just for one day :) Good luck all and be happy x
    Posted by tomgoodun
    All the best tomorrow Tom. Safe to say you'd be one of the most popular winners if you go the distance.

Who knows, if you won it you might be allowed on Facebook ;)
  • edited August 2015

Good luck tonight, Tom. Just make sure you enjoy it.

• edited August 2015
    Thanks for the g/luck chaps, and lol hhry - methinks that boat has sailed a long time ago:) wp on your correct score in the Leicester game, I'm guessing you lumped on as a saver to your other bet ( or me be not ) live and learn mate...live and learn.