You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My story

Comments

• edited September 2015
    Great story
    Shame that one needs kids of one's own to really understand what our parents went through. All that love and anguish that we just took for granted. 
  • edited September 2015
    hows tom,its been 2 weeks,hope alls well brother
  • edited September 2015

^^^^

I was thinking the same earlier this week, hope all is well with Tom.
  • edited September 2015
    I'm up and down at present, it's that time of year again, went for my blood test on Friday and have an oncology appointment first week in October. I can't help feeling apprehensive, it's hard to keep things as normal as possible when I have all kinds of thoughts running through my irrational brain, wife being very supportive as usual.

I am getting emotional really quickly lately, I blame the tablets :) I mean what would you do in the following events?
    I walked to the car one day last week when it was absolutely throwing it down with rain, brolly in hand, e.cig in other ( to protect it of course) got to my car shook the brolly and my e cig falls out of my hand, in slow motion rolled down the road into the drain! I was absolutely mortified as that was the one my son and daughter bought for me.

I have recently joined Facebook and put my woes on my page,I was really sad all day at work ( may be silly to some but as above it was a gift) I drove home from work and my daughter who had been on a 12 hour night shift came downstairs and handed me a box with a brand new e cig in, I gave her a big hug and pretty much filled up with tears....things like that to me show thoughtfulness and it really gets to me.

I may play some of the up-coming Ukops, looks a really good schedule and affordable with massive guarantees,I hope there is t too much overlay to hurt Mr sky's pockets
    Good luck all and be happy
  • edited September 2015

I can feel the hurt in that Post Tom.

You are a long way on from where you were 6 or 9 months (?) ago, so try & keep your chin up mate - especially with that lovely family doing their stuff for you.

Enjoy your Sunday.

• edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: My story:
    I can feel the hurt in that Post Tom. You are a long way on from where you were 6 or 9 months (?) ago, so try & keep your chin up mate - especially with that lovely family doing their stuff for you. Enjoy your Sunday.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Indeed I am and I should really be grateful for that I guess. I have had a lovely day today, my wife and I have just returned from visiting Arundel Castle. My wife loves going to places like that and I had promised her a day out a couple of weeks ago but we have been busy doing "Stuff" around the new home.
    Anyway we decided to take the day off, I was expecting to see ruins like Pevensy Castle - how wrong was I! The Castle is still standing and inside (where it isn't roped off ) words fail me, I was astonished at the stunning architecture , paintings, artefacts furniture and historical documents.
    I got really tired and unfortunately I couldn't do the walk through the gardens so I owe my good lady another visit, and start at the gardens then.
    I am a happy bunny today.
  • edited September 2015
    Why haven't I read this thread before? I love reading your stories so please keep them coming. I'll be a follower from now on - best of luck! 
  • edited September 2015
    good lad tom keep marching m8 you gotta keep marching glgl
  • edited September 2015
    good lad tom keep marching m8 you gotta keep marching glgl
    Posted by stokefc
    Thanks Sean, hope all is well with you and your family, see you on the ft of Ukops soon ;)
  • edited September 2015
    Why haven't I read this thread before? I love reading your stories so please keep them coming. I'll be a follower from now on - best of luck! 
    Posted by percival09
    Thank you for your kind words, I may add a bit of poker now and again to mix things up a bit:)
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: My story : Indeed I am and I should really be grateful for that I guess. I have had a lovely day today, my wife and I have just returned from visiting Arundel Castle. My wife loves going to places like that and I had promised her a day out a couple of weeks ago but we have been busy doing "Stuff" around the new home. Anyway we decided to take the day off, I was expecting to see ruins like Pevensy Castle - how wrong was I! The Castle is still standing and inside (where it isn't roped off ) words fail me, I was astonished at the stunning architecture , paintings, artefacts furniture and historical documents. I got really tired and unfortunately I couldn't do the walk through the gardens so I owe my good lady another visit, and start at the gardens then. I am a happy bunny today.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Good man.

Arundel Castle is my favourite English Castle, & by some way, set as it is in such beautiful surroundings. Not so long ago, the trainer John Dunlop (father of Ed & Harry) trained at "Castle Stables" which is in the grounds of The Duke of Norfolk's Arundel Estate. Sadly, he quit in 2012, & Castle Stables is now derelict. John trained some great winners there, including Derby winner Shirley Heights. 

Sussex is such a lovely part of England, & I visit it regularly. Arundel is on the A27, just 10 minutes to the West of that dreadful airshow accident last month.

• edited September 2015
    I too am new to this thread but it is always refreshing to see someone write from the heart about things that actually matter.

• edited October 2015
    I too am new to this thread but it is always refreshing to see someone write from the heart about things that actually matter.
    Posted by Sky_Dan
    Thank you for the kind words Dan, I have got to say you are doing a fantastic job in your role, I admire the way you deal with things in a professional manner and are always courteous, must be really tough at times.
    With my new readers expectations the pressure to write something interesting has gone up a notch so I will have to be mindful of that when posting. So with that in mind and the current interesting FURY thread I have decided to post below.
  • edited October 2015
    Scissors Fury.
    My good lady and I are currently making curtains, changing them from pencil pleat to them ring things which fit in the top.
    She purchased a tool to cut the holes, unfortunately it's a tool that requires a hammer to hit it and create said hole, so where do you do that in a new house ey? Tried it on the table, no joy but plenty of noise, tried it on the floor but got really worried I was breaking the floor. I made the executive decision that we should mark out the holes and cut them with scissors, cunning plan or what.
    We have a raft of scissors but apparently not the right ones, you need pointed end scissors my wife tells me. I put my hand up to be the one to go to the shop and purchase the required implements, her really stern instructions are as follows.
    "Don't go to the curtain shop we went to last week, go to C and H fabrics in Eastbourne, see these scissors here, don't get that type"
    So I set off to the curtain shop ( it was the nearest shop) The lady was very nice and I had a good chat with her but unfortunately she doesn't sell them,but pointed to a shop that may sell them.
    Drive to aforementioned shop, they have an array of scissors and I spotted a pair with sort of pointed ends along with a tape measure and other paraphernalia which is sewing related. I snapped them up and drove home a happy chap.
    My good lady was rather mystified as to why I had purchased the scissors we already had.....
    I then drive to Eastbourne, look through the market, no joy, look in every shop in langney,no joy. I then had a brainwave, go to C and H fabrics in town, I bought a pair of pointy end scissors for £17 yikes...
    The whole journeys back and forth took me three hours, I am sure there is a lesson to be learnt here but I cannot for the life of me think what it is.
  • edited October 2015
    Well your old readers were more than happy with your previous posts. And if you're going to start writing tat for the sake of it we might just switch off. 

Seriously though. I do hate that "they don't have what my wife said I must buy so I'll pick something that seems like it is the best possible alternative" conundrum. 

Because it inevitably isn't - but I never know why. 

• edited October 2015
    Well your old readers were more than happy with your previous posts. And if you're going to start writing tat for the sake of it we might just switch off.  Seriously though. I do hate that "they don't have what my wife said I must buy so I'll pick something that seems like it is the best possible alternative" conundrum.  Because it inevitably isn't - but I never know why. 
    Posted by GELDY
    ;) the above post was of course my attempt at humour.
    I have an oncology appointment on Tuesday which I have been fretting about,any little change in my bodily functions gives me cause for concern and there have been a lot of little changes lately, my wife will be coming with me so I will be ok.
    I have badgered her not to book excursions for the cruise yet as I have one of those feelings of doom, she has been very patient with me and says things like after Tuesday we will be booking the excursions and extra legroom seats on the flights.
    I decided to watch the rugby instead of playing poker last night, what a mistake that was, I shall play tonight instead.
  • edited October 2015
    Scissors Fury. My good lady and I are currently making curtains, changing them from pencil pleat to them ring things which fit in the top. She purchased a tool to cut the holes, unfortunately it's a tool that requires a hammer to hit it and create said hole, so where do you do that in a new house ey? Tried it on the table, no joy but plenty of noise, tried it on the floor but got really worried I was breaking the floor. I made the executive decision that we should mark out the holes and cut them with scissors, cunning plan or what. We have a raft of scissors but apparently not the right ones, you need pointed end scissors my wife tells me. I put my hand up to be the one to go to the shop and purchase the required implements, her really stern instructions are as follows. "Don't go to the curtain shop we went to last week, go to C and H fabrics in Eastbourne, see these scissors here, don't get that type" So I set off to the curtain shop ( it was the nearest shop) The lady was very nice and I had a good chat with her but unfortunately she doesn't sell them,but pointed to a shop that may sell them. Drive to aforementioned shop, they have an array of scissors and I spotted a pair with sort of pointed ends along with a tape measure and other paraphernalia which is sewing related. I snapped them up and drove home a happy chap. My good lady was rather mystified as to why I had purchased the scissors we already had..... I then drive to Eastbourne, look through the market, no joy, look in every shop in langney,no joy. I then had a brainwave, go to C and H fabrics in town, I bought a pair of pointy end scissors for £17 yikes... The whole journeys back and forth took me three hours, I am sure there is a lesson to be learnt here but I cannot for the life of me think what it is.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    In the world of scissors, there are no short cuts.
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: My story : ;) the above post was of course my attempt at humour. I have an oncology appointment on Tuesday which I have been fretting about,any little change in my bodily functions gives me cause for concern and there have been a lot of little changes lately, my wife will be coming with me so I will be ok. I have badgered her not to book excursions for the cruise yet as I have one of those feelings of doom, she has been very patient with me and says things like after Tuesday we will be booking the excursions and extra legroom seats on the flights. I decided to watch the rugby instead of playing poker last night, what a mistake that was, I shall play tonight instead.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Good luck today, Tom.
  • edited October 2015
    I hope every thing goes ok for you today tom db xxx
  • edited October 2015
  • edited October 2015
    Thinking of you today Tom - and hoping the news isn't as bad as you fear xx
  • edited October 2015
    The day I feared arrived, I went to work this morning and emailed all reminding them I was to be away from my desk for a few hours for my oncology appt. I may be naive but I did honestly think that folk would give me a bit of relief from the barrage of stress that seems to be the norm, I was wrong.
    I am very emotional at present writing this so there may not be the usual chipper comment I like to throw in to lighten the mood.
    Let's get the important stuff done now ey, my psa level is 0.03 which is a massive relief as it shows the cancer is being controlled.
    The appt. went something like this - The nurse called my name and led my wife and I to the consultants room, we sat down and he told me straight away the good news about my levels, my reaction was one of relief,emotion,and thoughts of " but why are these things happening to my body" , I will try not to go into the gory and embarrassing things which I explained in great detail to him when he asked how I was, I had just finished telling him THE MOST embarrassing when a voice pipes up from behind me saying "they deal with that at Hastings Mr x" OMG I thought the bloody cleaner had walked in and was giving her opinion, I was mortified.....I was not aware the nurse was sat behind us the whole time! Apparently thems the rules.
    He told me that my op,radiotherapy and on-going treatment along with the tablets I have to take have a huge effect on my body, I guess I have been suppressing that and thinking well that's ages ago now, but he also said when a woman goes through the change,it is a gradual process and my hormone injections give me the same effect over a few weeks,so in essence I have it worse than women :) 
  • edited October 2015
    I hope every thing goes ok for you today tom db xxx
    Posted by dumb_blond
    Thank you, I hope you are well, haven't seen much of you on the felt lately x
  • edited October 2015
    GL today xx
    Posted by mrsduck
    Thank you Mrs D , hope all is well with you and Mr. D x
  • edited October 2015
    Thinking of you today Tom - and hoping the news isn't as bad as you fear xx
    Posted by IrishRose
    Thank you Rose, I appreciate your best wishes. X
  • edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: My story : Good luck today, Tom.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thank you Mr. K, and well done on the scissors retort, made me chuckle  :) 
  • edited October 2015
    Cancer controlled
    But your workmates not
    Could be worse
    gl gl

• edited October 2015
    You're awesome Tom

Nuff said
  • edited October 2015
    Hope you don't mind me posting it here, but happy anniversary to you and your good wife, Tom. Some people may never experience the years of love and happiness you've had together, and I know you treasure them.
  • edited October 2015
    Hope you don't mind me posting it here, but happy anniversary to you and your good wife, Tom. Some people may never experience the years of love and happiness you've had together, and I know you treasure them.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    yeah well done tom hope you had a great day