You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My story

Comments

• edited November 2015
    It has really helped me being part of a team on here, I must express my gratitude to all my team members who have been raising my spirits with some outrageous posts, there are too many to mention but I hope you know who I mean, love you all.

It was my lovely wife's birthday yesterday I really enjoyed our evening out with the children, Sarah told me she was very emotional with the lovely messages she received , all well deserved of course.

I made a slight gaff when I went out to buy her secret birthday presents, she said she would like me to buy something whilst in town and wrote a list for me as I am a tad forgetful, oh I also have a tendency to sort of only listen to half the instructions.
    I looked at the list in town which included ladies briefs size 8, well I thought hmmm, now I love my wife dearly so please bear with me.
    I return home with the secret birthday presents, and handed her the items on her list, she looked at me and said " I wrote the size down Tom, why have you got this size? " I said love I think you were being a bit optimistic at that size and this size will probably fit you better. I realised as soon as I said it that was probably not the wisest thing I have ever said....
    She then explained (Again) that she is part of a committee that is helping homeless woman and have asked them what would help them over the Xmas period and they said woman's stuff like briefs, cleaning products etc etc.
    I am so glad my wife is an understanding soul..........
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: My story:
    Sorry reader I have been going through a bit of a tough time lately. I took the requested 2nd sample in on Friday as I was having my Hormone and Flu Injections, rang up on Wednesday for the results and got this response - " Oh it says here that the sample couldn't be tested as it was over the 48 hour limit"  I guess that dept doesn't work over the weekend, could someone have told me perhaps? I have been trying for 3 Weeks to get a doctors appointment, I do realise they are under funded and are short staffed so I have been patient, I cannot post on here what symptoms I have as they are very personal and to be honest I don't think you would want to know :) I asked the receptionist how do we go forward from here and said maybe it's just the effects of my treatment , but it would be nice to get professional advice , she put me on hold and rang the doctor, then said oh the doctor says don't worry about giving another sample.... I said ok, what about my other symptoms? She then spoke to the Locum who asked me to provide another sample....sigh. Apparently the doctor wants to ring me next Tuesday (at work) to discuss my symptoms to decide if I need to see them.. Went home and told my good lady, she has instructed me to tell them I really can't discuss it at work, so I took my sample in today and explained why I would rather not discuss whilst at work, the doc is ringing me tomorrow afternoon as I fin work at 1pm.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Morning Tom.

As I get older, & nearer the terminus, I become more calm, & I see things in a different light to the younger generation.

I keep being reminded about your recent trials & tribulations every time I see someone on the forum chuntering about THE most minor inconvenience. Usually the humourless hard-nosed boys. "Sky Poker are a disgrace - I could not see my cards on the first hand of the Final Table". Missing ONE hand in a 300 runner MTT over 5 hours is a disgrace? Really?

"I was 10 tabling & I had lag, it's a DISASTER". Disaster? No, an irritation, an inconvenience. Hardly a disaster. Try telling that to a Syrian refuges who's wife & kids have just drowned, has no money, no home, & no country wants to admit him. That's a disaster. Bet he wishes he could miss one hand of poker......

I am less sympathetic than I should be, I know that. But they don't know what real pain & hardship are, do they? Their life balance is all skewed. When something in poker is "a disgrace", the world has gone mad. Disgrace is being humiliated by the NHS, mucked about in the way you have been.  

Meanwhile, not only are you fighting for your life, you are being exposed to the most uncomfortable humiliations at the hands of the NHS, & Doctors, with all this "sample" business, which must feel, to you, humiliating & embarrassing. That's real pain Tom.

Keep fighting that fight, Tom, & keep talking about it so bravely (I don't think I could) if it helps.

Having said all that, what a wonderful family you have. How would you have coped without them?

Chin up mate, you have some lovely friends around here, & we are travelling this journey with you. 

x   

• edited November 2015
    It has really helped me being part of a team on here, I must express my gratitude to all my team members who have been raising my spirits with some outrageous posts, there are too many to mention but I hope you know who I mean, love you all. It was my lovely wife's birthday yesterday I really enjoyed our evening out with the children, Sarah told me she was very emotional with the lovely messages she received , all well deserved of course. I made a slight gaff when I went out to buy her secret birthday presents, she said she would like me to buy something whilst in town and wrote a list for me as I am a tad forgetful, oh I also have a tendency to sort of only listen to half the instructions. I looked at the list in town which included ladies briefs size 8, well I thought hmmm, now I love my wife dearly so please bear with me. I return home with the secret birthday presents, and handed her the items on her list, she looked at me and said " I wrote the size down Tom, why have you got this size? " I said love I think you were being a bit optimistic at that size and this size will probably fit you better. I realised as soon as I said it that was probably not the wisest thing I have ever said.... She then explained (Again) that she is part of a committee that is helping homeless woman and have asked them what would help them over the Xmas period and they said woman's stuff like briefs, cleaning products etc etc. I am so glad my wife is an understanding soul..........
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Ha, that's a GREAT story Tom. The ability to poke fun at ourselves, tell a story against ourself, to be self-deprecating, is a thing of beauty, & an increasingly rare quality.

A belated Happy Birthday to Lady Sarah.

• edited November 2015
    Thank you for your kind words, it does help me to post , stops me getting too stressed I suppose, oh and I just won the £5 bounty hunter whilst I am waiting for the phone to ring..every cloud ey :)
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: My story : Morning Tom. As I get older, & nearer the terminus, I become more calm, & I see things in a different light to the younger generation.   I keep being reminded about your recent trials & tribulations every time I see someone on the forum chuntering about THE most minor inconvenience. Usually the humourless hard-nosed boys. " Sky Poker are a disgrace - I could not see my cards on the first hand of the Final Table". Missing ONE hand in a 300 runner MTT over 5 hours is a disgrace? Really?   "I was 10 tabling & I had lag, it's a DISASTER ". Disaster? No, an irritation, an inconvenience. Hardly a disaster. Try telling that to a Syrian refuges who's wife & kids have just drowned, has no money, no home, & no country wants to admit him. That's a disaster. Bet he wishes he could miss one hand of poker...... I am less sympathetic than I should be, I know that. But they don't know what real pain & hardship are, do they? Their life balance is all skewed. When something in poker is "a disgrace", the world has gone mad. Disgrace is being humiliated by the NHS, mucked about in the way you have been.   Meanwhile, not only are you fighting for your life, you are being exposed to the most uncomfortable humiliations at the hands of the NHS, & Doctors, with all this "sample" business, which must feel, to you, humiliating & embarrassing. That's real pain Tom. Keep fighting that fight, Tom, & keep talking about it so bravely (I don't think I could) if it helps. Having said all that, what a wonderful family you have. How would you have coped without them? Chin up mate, you have some lovely friends around here, & we are travelling this journey with you.  x      
    Posted by Tikay10
    i could jump down some posters throats on here so petty,full of self importance,i know it all and you know **** all
    they dont know what real life is,they want it all now now now,give me give me give me now,its sad really
    keep marching Tom you have a wonderful family they are all that matters and i hope all goes well brother tc

• edited November 2015
    Thank you for your kind words, it does help me to post , stops me getting too stressed I suppose, oh and I just won the £5 bounty hunter whilst I am waiting for the phone to ring..every cloud ey :)
    Posted by tomgoodun
    ONE Tournament?

Sample size Tom, sample size.

Oh, wait......

• edited November 2015
    Was the £400 gtd started at 13.30 and fin at 16.11 :) I Dunno how much I won, think it was between £80 -£100.

I am a very lucky man to have a loving family around me, helping me cope. I suppose we are similar to most families, each with their own personalities and have had our ups and downs in the past, but in times of need we pull together. I of course have my bad days, as do we all, but my wife always manages to say the right thing and keeps me from feeling too sorry for myself.
    Our daughter wrote the most lovely words in Sarah's  Birthday Card which brought a tear to her eye, it's marvellous looking back at what the kids put us through in their teenage years and now they are growing up they show us what kind hearts they have.
    Thank you Sean for your good wishes, try not to get too het up with what folk post, it's just a moment in time my friend and you have enough to deal with, my thoughts are with you, stay strong.
    Busy weekend ahead, food shopping tomorrow am, then apparently I have to go through my wardrobe and drawers to check my holiday attire, I may have left it a bit late but primani is open all weekend :)
    Doc rang,We discussed ALL my problems, I have a prescription to pick up on Monday..more tablets :( 
    Onwards and upwards.

• edited November 2015
  • edited November 2015
        you were being a bit optimistic at that size and this size will probably fit you better. I realised as soon as I said it that was probably not the wisest thing I have ever said....
    Posted by tomgoodun

Spat my tea out in Beatty Rd cafe.

• edited November 2015
    Loving this thread more every day.
    Best wishes to you and your family Tom
  • edited November 2015
    <3 you Tom.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Your still my hero Jon ;)
  • edited November 2015
    Loving this thread more every day. Best wishes to you and your family Tom
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks Mick, hope your fully recovered now. Best wishes to you and your family also.
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: My story : Spat my tea out in Beatty Rd cafe.
    Posted by mumsie
    :) It's good to share, loving your comments elsewhere - keep up the good humour, makes the forum a better place.
  • edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: My story : ONE Tournament? Sample size Tom, sample size. Oh, wait......  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Totally whooshed me til today ;)
  • edited November 2015
    So sad about the atrocities in Paris, what can we say about such awful events. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims. 
  • edited November 2015
    So sad about the atrocities in Paris, what can we say about such awful events. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims. 
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Indeed. So very disheartening. 

2015 alone has seen horror upon horror played out like an auction with each atrocity bidding against another for our appalled attention. In France alone we have had Charlie Hebdo, The factory attack where one had been beheaded and his head stuck on a gate whilst his body had been inscribed with a message, now this. Then there was Tunisia, Kuwait, Russian air disaster... in fact it's pointless going on. I researched how many attacks have taking place since the start of 2015 and the findings are insane. Almost 1 a day and 13 so far just in November. It's only the 14th.

Hannah Arendt: "The  problem of evil will be the fundamental question of postwar intellectual life in Europe." (1945)

She was referring to, of course, that after the holocaust - when Europe had seen what they were capable of - the main concern would be understanding how such a thing could happen. 

I notice that you said your prayers where with France. Not sure if you used that as a figure of speech or if you are a true believer. It doesn't matter either way, but what happened after the holocaust is that "the problem of evil" became shorthand for a challenge to people of faith. "How can we believe in a just God when there is so much evil in the world?", among questions that started to be asked almost becoming a point of theology. 

But what happened yesterday tells us that "the problem of evil" is not a historical question but instead a problem of now. It doesn't only challenge religious believers but every single last one of us as we wonder about a world where such heinous acts can happen - whether it's worshippers gunned down in Charleston or a crowd of people worshipping their favourite metal band in Paris. 

Historical leagcies, geopolitical forces, local factors are all relevant but only go so far and never reach the heart of the problem. How is such brutality possibly?

Woody Allen's movie Hannah and Her Sisters respond to Arendt's problem of evil and suggest that people asking how the Holocaust happened are asking the wrong question. Sugessting that instead we should be asking "Given what people are, the question is, why doesn't it happen more often?"

It's such a bleak view of human nature. If we are to believe this then it's no surprise that men of IS, Boko Haram, Al Shabab et al are turning Sadism into a competitive sport. 

Sometimes I do feel like we are savage creatures. Sometimes I believe that we do have a capacity for love and empathy. If I'm right about the latter then the problem of evil still persists. So what do we make of it?

Quite possibly the murderers of IS are following and age old military tactic recognised by the likes Genhis Khan or Attila the Hun, which is to terrify it's enemy. But whilst it may sow fear, it will also prompt revulsion. I read a while ago something that an Islamic Scholar and former Jihadist had said (can't remember his name) but basically he was saying that a battle for civilisation is under way, one that should unite the societies and religions of the world - christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism et al - against the brutal death cult that is Jihadism. 

Itr's nonsense to to speak of a war against evil because it could never be won. Unfortunately it is within us and quite likely perennial and we shouldn't be afraid to name it for what it is. 

• edited November 2015
    I believe there is good and there is evil,, at present we are living in the end of days according to the Witnesses, it's hard to disagree with that statement considering all the actions you point out, as far as how can there be a Just God when all these atrocities and evil things happen, I have struggled with that question and had many a conversation with the Witnesses on my doorstep and read passages of the bible with them. The one thing that stands out is Free Will, I read a passage recently which resonated with me, went something along the lines of ; Family, you love your sons and daughters unconditionally, you have to let them lead their own life and you cannot stop them doing what they chose to do, what would you do if they were to commit a crime? Would you shop them to the police? Some would, some wouldn't but the main thing is, you cannot stop them being who they are, you can be a role model and try to teach them right from wrong ( Commandments?) and be there for them when they need you, it goes deeper than that of course and I have simplified points but the message is there.

Thank you for your post youranasset, most appreciated.
  • edited November 2015
    I believe there is good and there is evil,, at present we are living in the end of days according to the Witnesses, it's hard to disagree with that statement considering all the actions you point out, as far as how can there be a Just God when all these atrocities and evil things happen, I have struggled with that question and had many a conversation with the Witnesses on my doorstep and read passages of the bible with them. The one thing that stands out is Free Will, I read a passage recently which resonated with me, went something along the lines of ; Family, you love your sons and daughters unconditionally, you have to let them lead their own life and you cannot stop them doing what they chose to do, what would you do if they were to commit a crime? Would you shop them to the police? Some would, some wouldn't but the main thing is, you cannot stop them being who they are, you can be a role model and try to teach them right from wrong ( Commandments?) and be there for them when they need you, it goes deeper than that of course and I have simplified points but the message is there. Thank you for your post youranasset, most appreciated.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    No problem, the pleasure was mine. 

Much like religion, I can be considered somewhat agnostic (Catholic/Agnostic/Evagelical Christian/Agnostic again is pretty much how it went for me) with regards to the Free Will/Determinism debate. David Hume created a niche for me when he proposed the compatibilist theory which combines both Free Will & Determinism. 

Anyway I was only wanting to say that I might know of the passage your referring to. Is it the story of 'The Prodigal Son'? I think it's found in Luke and as a child was taught this fairly early on. 

Like you say, at lot of questions present themself in the world today regards the issue of moral responsibility. Some will find it in their faith from the bible, some by reading philosophy of moral responsibility (although I do concede that philosophy can sometimes just lead you on a wild goose chase when your looking for answers) and others, well they just don't care. 

For as long as each individual finds their own happy place with it then all should work well and like the Islamic scholar said, we can all join in arms to win our battle for civilisation. 
  • edited November 2015
    and on the basis that we need to continue with life in general despite the atrocities occurring around the globe

how's the home tanning going?
  • edited November 2015
    and on the basis that we need to continue with life in general despite the atrocities occurring around the globe how's the home tanning going?
    Posted by GELDY
    Being as its not summer yet, the self tanning hasn't been broken in :) also my sister is staying in the room which will be used as the tanning studio when we go on holiday next week so I guess that also has a bearing on it.
    Little bit apprehensive about going on holiday now, things are never straightforward in my life it seems, thinking all sorts of scenarios, I am such a doom merchant.
    Rang docs re sample results ( the doc rang me before the scores were in) they haven't been checked by doc yet.
    Got a meeting at work tomorrow re how our dept is performing, dreading it :( 
    In other news I am enjoying my poker again, went through a period of pressing buttons and not really thinking about what I was doing, not that thought generally plays a major part in my game...
    Played my last DTD game of the month last night and really enjoyed the banter, may pop in tomorrow and have my last games on Saturday before I check I have my stuff ready for the holiday, 7 days to go.
    Thanks to all who have wished me well, my wife and I will have a wonderful time away I am sure.
    Good luck all, be safe and be happy x
  • edited November 2015
    enjoy tom stay safe friend
  • edited November 2015

Tom - your holiday must be imminent, if so, one word - enjoy.
  • edited November 2015
    Thank you chaps, we leave on Tuesday and fly on Wednesday.,still got lots to do-found out today my posh trousers no longer fit my ever expanding waistline :( going to shop ( not mall) tomorrow to purchase larger size.
    Signed off on Saturday by winning my last tournament I played - the £100 gtd PL08 :)
    Itching to play the DTD games tomorrow but I don't think that will be feasible given all the "stuff" we have to do to prepare for hol, never mind it will still be here when I return.

It was my son Colin's birthday today, he came round to ours along with Alex and his lovely girlfriend, we have just finished the Indian take-away and I am so full, really happy also.,so nice to sit at the table with family and chat about random stuff.

Looking forward to seeing my sister on Tuesday before we toddle off, it's really nice of her to come and keep Chloe company whilst we are away, love my family.
  • edited November 2015
    have a nice trip Tom
  • edited November 2015

If time permits, remind us of where you are going for your jollies please Tom.

A slight & somewhat eccentric thread derail here, but......

When I go away without Gill - Punta Cana, or Vegas, say - she opens up Flight Radar 24  & follows me (or my aircraft) all the way, then tells me the places of interest I have flown over.

Told you it was an eccentric derail......

Anyway, I won't be tracking you on FR24, but it'd be neat to know (or be reminded) where you are off to.
  • edited November 2015
    Hi Tom,
    long time reader,but not poster.

Congratulations on the PLO8 win and I hope you have a good holiday.

Best wishes for the future
  • edited November 2015
    Have a great Holiday Tom and Mrs Tom xxxx
  • edited November 2015
    If time permits, remind us of where you are going for your jollies please Tom.   A slight & somewhat eccentric thread derail here, but...... When I go away without Gill - Punta Cana, or Vegas, say - she opens up Flight Radar 24  & follows me (or my aircraft) all the way, then tells me the places of interest I have flown over. Told you it was an eccentric derail...... Anyway, I won't be tracking you on FR24, but it'd be neat to know (or be reminded) where you are off to.
    Posted by Tikay10
    We fly to Atlanta,then on to Puerto Rico, 3 nights in hotel then board the Cruise Ship. Then St Thomas, St Croix, Antigua,St Lucia, Grenada, then back to Puerto Rico, fly to New York, then home . Thank you for the good wishes.
  • edited November 2015
    have a nice trip Tom
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Thanks Neil, you will have to take my place in DTD whilst I am off on my jolly ;)
  • edited November 2015
    enjoy tom stay safe friend
    Posted by stokefc
    Thanks Sean, you too my good man.