You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Calling All PLO8 DYM Players, Our Competition, Scoreboards, Results, Chirps & Whatnot.

Comments

• edited November 2014

Funnily enough that reminds me of when I used to play Hi Lo Cash on another site and used some tracking software.

Over the period that I tracker my results I had AA23 43 times AND IT WAS A LOSING HAND!!

God knows why but I just couldn't win with it. I would invariably get a lot of my stack in pre and then the flop would come Kxx. Again almost invariably my opponent would have KKx, I would miss the low draw and hey presto another stack gone.

Reminds me why I stopped playing Hi Lo cash and I'm quite pleased there's rarely any cash games on Sky!

Come to think of it maybe they have a point!
  • edited November 2014
    I thought Aks ans a2s would be a monster in plo8 I always look for a low card with my hands when I play, I've not long been playing it though, but would u not want the opportunity too take the lot if 3 lows appear on the board.
  • edited November 2014
    It's a very strong hand, but it is vulnerable. If you get a low board you've got a good chance of scooping, no low though and you've a very good chance of being scooped. You're never that far infront or behind with a playable hand in HiLo.
  • edited November 2014
    ..and I presume we're talking in pre. Playing down streets with nut low but a one pair high can be dangerous too.
  • edited November 2014

On the AA58 question. A couple of things come to mind.

Firstly i woulkd always rather have the 2 Lo cards with the A because we have all been in a situation where we have A3xx and a 3 comes down on the flop and pretty much destroys our chances with the Lo.

Secondly when counting cards for the Lo draw. Pre flop i would only count cards From A to 6, i would not count 7's or 8's because they draw to very bad Los that you cant be sure of.

So in that hand would rather have a T or J to give extra Hi possibilities than Lo ones.

So in reality the 8 in your hand and the 9 in theirs are dead and worthless cards. These should be avoided if possible.

But overall would have taken your hand over theirs everyday of the week. They were mainly calling to get their money back or just get very lucky.
  • edited November 2014
    getting better, currently on a 4 win steak,

played 16

won 8  lost 8

60p     won   1     lost   2

£1.15      won   0     lost   1  

£2.25      won   0     lost   1

£3.30      won   7     lost   2

£5.50      won   1     lost   0

£11.00     won   0     lost   1

improving....
  • edited November 2014
    Nothing positive to report on my second 100.

26 played 13 wins 13 losses.
  • edited November 2014
    5 wins straight..... I know its not great but im chuffed!!!!!
  • edited November 2014
    6 wins!!!!!!!!
    so end off the night for me, not a bad wee day, won more than lost now!!

PLO8played 18

won 10 lost 8

60p won 1 lost 2

£1.15 won 0 lost 1

£2.25 won 0 lost 1

£3.30 won 9 lost 2

£5.50 won 1 lost 0

£11.00 won 0 lost 1
  • edited November 2014

Well it had to come to an end.

Played 58 won 39

Streak ended after 11 wins
  • edited November 2014
    Forgot to update yesterday.

Bit of a 

S
     L
      I
       D
        E

now 24/40
  • edited November 2014

Won my last 10 games , 11/13 since I discovered this thread.

9 games at £0.60
    4 games at £3.30

2 losses were at 60p, these tables are still tough, with some accomplished PLO8 players.

£12.40 profit

Edit played another 2 games, won 1 lost 1, now 12/15

loss at £3.30
    Win at £1.15

£9.95 profit

• edited November 2014
    Not a great time to lose concentration. Lost 4/5 last couple of days.

Running total, won 58/87
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Calling All PLO8 DYM Players, Our Competition, Scoreboards, Results, Chirps & Whatnot.:
    I've just seen an interesting chat box comment, well I found it interesting! So, i'm on BB, SB min raises it, I'm holding AA58 so pot it. They all end up in the middle, SB turns over A479. Quite obviously, he flops a wheel so I'm dead and gone, that isn't my point, but afterwards I was busy so didn't have time to close down the table, so I saw the comments he typed. "Always love to see AA" "A good Holdem hand" So, an open question for opinions please. Why do so many people say in the chat box that AA (with a couple of lo cards) is a bad hand? I've seen it said so many times I don't understand it. I'd hazard a guess that any online odds calculator would probably agree with me, but why is there this opinion out there amongst so many, that AA (+2 lo) is bad?
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Because they don't understand the game, or they have never studied the hand ranking chart for PLO8.

The top 100 hands in PLO8 are utterly dominated by A-A-x-x hands. That's a mathematical fact, not an opinion.  

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Calling All PLO8 DYM Players, Our Competition, Scoreboards, Results, Chirps & Whatnot.:
    I thought Aks ans a2s would be a monster in plo8 I always look for a low card with my hands when I play, I've not long been playing it though, but would u not want the opportunity too take the lot if 3 lows appear on the board.
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    They are.

In the DYM's we are playing, they are quite hard to play in the early levels, as we can't get the stacks in pre. If we could, we would, but we can't. So I don't bother with them too much in the early levels. 

Once we get to Level 6 or 7, though, as far as I am concerned, any A-K-2-x combo is a PREMIUM HAND, & I'm always happy to get the lot in pre.* We are rarely in terrible shape here.

* The exception would be stack dynamics. 4 handed, with one shortie on the table, here I'm passing ANY hand pre-flop rather than risk going to war with the other big stack.  

• edited November 2014
    It's a very strong hand, but it is vulnerable. If you get a low board you've got a good chance of scooping, no low though and you've a very good chance of being scooped. You're never that far infront or behind with a playable hand in HiLo.
    Posted by bbMike
    BOOM, there we have it.

But if we construct the correct opening range, such that we get it in good more times than not, we will win more than we lose.

A-A-2-3 DS is not THAT far ahead of any 4 cards - but it IS ahead.

These thin edges are the difference between winning & losing.
  • edited November 2014
      On the AA58 question. A couple of things come to mind.  Firstly i woulkd always rather have the 2 Lo cards with the A because we have all been in a situation where we have A3xx and a 3 comes down on the flop and pretty much destroys our chances with the Lo.  Secondly when counting cards for the Lo draw. Pre flop i would only count cards From A to 6, i would not count 7's or 8's because they draw to very bad Los that you cant be sure of.  So in that hand would rather have a T or J to give extra Hi possibilities than Lo ones.  So in reality the 8 in your hand and the 9 in theirs are dead and worthless cards. These should be avoided if possible.  But overall would have taken your hand over theirs everyday of the week. They were mainly calling to get their money back or just get very lucky.
    Posted by Talon
    This, too.

We often have no choice if the blinds are big, but in an ideal world, we would never go to war if our hand included any 7,8 or 9.  There are the PLO8 "killer cards".

Of course, that's the theory, but it does not work like that, & we happily shove pre in with a good A-2/7/8/9 hand if the Blinds are big. But in an ideal world, no.

Some of the things we need to do are quite subtle. 

I was trying to help a really nice lad yesterday, & gently suggested he should never - NEVER NEVER NEVER - Limp from a 7 Big Blind Stack @ 150-300. 

Later in the evening, I button-limped in at 10-20 from a 100 BB stack & he typed "DID YOU JUST LIMP!!!!?"

• edited November 2014
    6 wins!!!!!!!! so end off the night for me, not a bad wee day, won more than lost now!! PLO8 played 18 won 10 lost 8 60p won 1 lost 2 £1.15 won 0 lost 1 £2.25 won 0 lost 1 £3.30 won 9 lost 2 £5.50 won 1 lost 0 £11.00 won 0 lost 1
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Top work Chris, well done.
  • edited November 2014
    Won my last 10 games , 11/13 since I discovered this thread. 9 games at £0.60 4 games at £3.30 2 losses were at 60p, these tables are still tough, with some accomplished PLO8 players. £12.40 profit Edit played another 2 games, won 1 lost 1, now 12/15 loss at £3.30 Win at £1.15 £9.95 profit
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    Incred!

Hope it continues.
  • edited November 2014

Session # 5

Games played 6, as follows....

£3.30, P4, W3, L1

£5.50, P2, W1, L1

£11.00, P0, W0, L0

= Played 6, Won 4

TOTAL TO DATE

P41, W29, L12 = 71%.
  • edited November 2014

Perfected Proper Patent Pending Plopper Predict-O-Meter.

Worst possible outcome is 29% of games won

Best possible outcome is 88% of games won

SO I predict I will win between 29% & 88% of my 100 games.

Actual current Predict-O-Meter reading is....

29%--------88%
  • edited November 2014
    Tikays results.... "TOTAL TO DATE P35, W25, L10 = 71% ." I'm having none of that! If TK ends up in the top 3 of this I am going to blow up the internet
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    I don't have much realistic chance of top 3, & I'm fine with that.

Only ONE thing matters to me in this matter - that I beat your score.

What did you end up with? That will be my target.

Oh yes.
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Calling All PLO8 DYM Players, Our Competition, Scoreboards, Results, Chirps & Whatnot. : This, too. We often have no choice if the blinds are big, but in an ideal world, we would never go to war if our hand included any 7,8 or 9.  There are the PLO8 "killer cards". Of course, that's the theory, but it does not work like that, & we happily shove pre in with a good A-2/7/8/9 hand if the Blinds are big. But in an ideal world, no. Some of the things we need to do are quite subtle.  I was trying to help a really nice lad yesterday, & gently suggested he should never - NEVER NEVER NEVER - Limp from a 7 Big Blind Stack @ 150-300.  Later in the evening, I button-limped in at 10-20 from a 100 BB stack & he typed "DID YOU JUST LIMP!!!!?"  
    Posted by Tikay10

who is this person you speak off!!!!

still getting the grips of it in someways, but enjoying it, cant remember what my holding was in this spot, too just  limp, maybe I wanted too see but not commit my stack too much, im not sure, as I say every day is a schoolday, especially with this,

feeling a lot more confedent though after yesterday.

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Calling All PLO8 DYM Players, Our Competition, Scoreboards, Results, Chirps & Whatnot. : who is this person you speak off!!!! still getting the grips of it in someways, but enjoying it, cant remember what my holding was in this spot, too just  limp, maybe I wanted too see but not commit my stack too much, im not sure, as I say every day is a schoolday, especially with this, feeling a lot more confedent though after yesterday.
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Ha!

;)

Seriously, Chris, don't limp from an 8 BB stack @ 150-300, ever.

If the hand is good enough, RAISE, if not, FOLD. "Call" is not an option. Don;'t even "make up" from the SB. RAISE or FOLD.

Well done on your results yesterday, keep it up.

• edited November 2014

I have a feeling it might have been this one, at 75/ 150 not 150/300 was having a look but couldn't find one I limped at the level with you there, I might be wrong but I think this is the hand in question

well ill see if I can keep the results up. think ill stick too £3.30 seem too be going well at that level.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    alexis74 Small blind  75.00 75.00 3647.50
    tikay1 Big blind  150.00 225.00 3240.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

Machka Fold     
    Chris_Mc Call  150.00 375.00 2870.00
    alexis74 Fold     
    tikay1 Check     
    Flop

• Q

tikay1 Check     
    Chris_Mc Check     
    Turn

tikay1 Check     
    Chris_Mc Bet  187.50 562.50 2682.50
    tikay1 Fold     
    Chris_Mc Muck     
    Chris_Mc Win  375.00  3057.50
    Chris_Mc Return  187.50 0.00 3245.00
  • edited November 2014

Just done the leaderboard thingy.
    Very well done to top 3 places, bonny work.
    Please keep scores coming in, lets get this thing sorted!

I'll try to do the board again tonight, but as it's a Sunday, I'll be attempting to consume my own bodyweight in roast lamb, so I might not be up to it.

• edited November 2014
    Just done the leaderboard thingy. Very well done to top 3 places, bonny work. Please keep scores coming in, lets get this thing sorted!   I'll try to do the board again tonight, but as it's a Sunday, I'll be attempting to consume my own bodyweight in roast lamb, so I might not be up to it.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    alka seltzer at the ready?
  • edited November 2014
    off too a losing start... :(

was glad too get this in...think I shouldhave.... would you???

anyway it was gg just after this
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    xxx Small blind  100.00 100.00 2462.50
    Chris_Mc Big blind  200.00 300.00 2881.25
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A
    • Q

alexis74 Fold     
    PKM Fold     
    shrug Fold     
    xxx Raise  500.00 800.00 1962.50
    Chris_Mc Raise  1600.00 2400.00 1281.25
    xxx All-in  1962.50 4362.50 0.00
    Chris_Mc Call  762.50 5125.00 518.75
    xxx Show

Chris_Mc Show
    • A
    • A
    • Q

Flop

• K

Turn

• Q

River

xxxWin high Three 7s 5125.00  5125.00
     No qualifying low hand   
  • edited November 2014

Ouch!

You don't have the best aces in the world, but once the other guy raises, you HAVE to re-shove, & happily, really, it is a dream scenario for you.

As BBMike said a day or two ago, we are never THAT far ahead in this game, but you were super unlucky there.

You did nothing wrong, that's the main thing. Shrug your shoulders & move on, this is PLO8.

For the record, not that it matters, but the hands are rated ("likelihood to get at least half the pot"), as follows...

A-A-5-Q SS = 262 of 5,278

4-7-7-8 SS = 4,124 of 5,278.

It's what we would describe as a Premium v a Macac.

• edited November 2014
    I've only been playing good hands unless I've had to (tiny stack etc) play bad hands (unless it's against TK of course, in which case any 4 is good enough)
    However, I am going to change my strategy.
    I have done nothing but lose lately, with, for the most part very good hands, so, I am going to start calling with the hands that are beating me all the time. So, it's game on with any ace, any pair, any flush draw, any 4 cards under 9!

On a serious note, well not serious as I've played enough of these to know these things come in batches, but, I have never run so bad. Someone at a table yesterday who only witnessed 4 of my losses, described my bad luck as scary!

It's a funny old thing, but if my first 100 games here, had been the last 100 I have played, I'd never in a million years have stayed. Just as well it wasn't like that, as TK would have missed out on all my brilliant chat and interesting facts.