You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Changes to Sky Poker TV

edited March 2015 in Poker Chat
Hi all

We just wanted to let you know about changes coming soon to Sky Poker TV.

Following the recent news that Sky Betting & Gaming is to become an independent company, we have been reviewing the Sky Poker channel. Although we will still be part owned by Sky and will still work closely with them, effectively we will be a separate company and that affects how we can run the channel commercially and legally.

Here’s a quick summary of the changes:

- The first thing to say is that we will be keeping Sky Poker TV going, but it will operate under a new model

- In the very near future, we will cease to operate the 24/7 channel (ch.861 on Sky) and online live stream. This will happen sooner than we anticipated, maybe even this week, but that can’t be avoided unfortunately

- The shows on Sky Sports will continue on a Tuesday in a new format and we have exciting plans for them

- We will be focusing more on producing pre-recorded TV content so expect to see more of this. Including things like cash games, UKPCs, educuational content, interviews, features etc. This will likely be shown on Sky Sports, Challenge TV, skypoker.com and social media, including youtube

- We are also working on some new ideas which we will share at a later date

It’s obviously a period of change for the channel, but Sky Poker TV is continuing. We have some exciting plans for it and the Sky Poker community will still be a big part of it. We have deliberately made this announcement here first.

We’ll post more on here as and when we are able to but until then, thanks for your continued support.

Thank you.

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Well changes happen, they can't be helped.  Had a feeling this was coming after that survey a couple of months ago.  Everyone I know put down how important the channel was but I guess I don't know many people.  A few of initial thoughts.

1)  I really hope there is an aggressive and continuous marketing campaign for however this new model will work.  The description is far too vague for us to know now but without a base like ch. 861, a successful business will really have to bang out the advertising to attract new players.  And obviously not via just Twitter or facebook, those people already follow you so already know you and just marketing there is clearly pointless.  Losing the base channel is losing the biggest method of attracting new players, I really hope the marketing plan is already in place.

2)  Please follow through with 'some new ideas which we will share at a later date' and 'some exciting plans for it and the Sky Poker community will still be a big part of it.'  Claims like these over the years to a cynic could be described as a fob off as it has not always been clear these things ever arrived.

3)  Losing this alongside a long absence of a regional affordable tour feels like a break away from grass roots poker, an area Skypoker was easily the UK leader in and frankly what made this site a lot more fun than many others.  I hope future plans are focussed on this and what gave Skypoker such a great niche isn't lost in the shuffle.
  • edited March 2015
    Blimey.

I'm actually gutted. If I've read that right? No more five hour live shows? The five hour live shows are one of the few things I look forward to on the tele! (and the Sky Sport portions on a Thursday, as was, were my least favourite segments as they had to 'get serious' during those).

• edited March 2015
    Big +1 to all of Tommy's points
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV:
    Well changes happen, they can't be helped.  Had a feeling this was coming after that survey a couple of months ago.  Everyone I know put down how important the channel was but I guess I don't know many people.  A few of initial thoughts. 1)  I really hope there is an aggressive and continuous marketing campaign for however this new model will work.  The description is far too vague for us to know now but without a base like ch. 861, a successful business will really have to bang out the advertising to attract new players.  And obviously not via just Twitter or facebook, those people already follow you so already know you and just marketing there is clearly pointless.  Losing the base channel is losing the biggest method of attracting new players, I really hope the marketing plan is already in place. 2)  Please follow through with 'some new ideas which we will share at a later date' and 'some exciting plans for it and the Sky Poker community will still be a big part of it.'  Claims like these over the years to a cynic could be described as a fob off as it has not always been clear these things ever arrived. 3)  Losing this alongside a long absence of a regional affordable tour feels like a break away from grass roots poker, an area Skypoker was easily the UK leader in and frankly what made this site a lot more fun than many others.  I hope future plans are focussed on this and what gave Skypoker such a great niche isn't lost in the shuffle.
    Posted by TommyD
    yeh good post tom its a bit worrying this!
  • edited March 2015
    Firstly sympathy for everyone involved.

Secondly next time please prove me wrong.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : yeh good post tom its a bit worrying this!
    Posted by natry20111
    I wouldn't be and am not worried at the moment.  Like I said at the start, changes happen.  It's all about how these changes are implemented.  It could work out to be a great thing for both the site and the community.  It could be a disaster for both.  It's all in the execution, communication and planning.
  • edited March 2015
    And tommy
    i don't have your optimism
    cost cutting is the obvious rationale
  • edited March 2015
    And tommy
    i don't have your optimism
    cost cutting is the obvious rationale
  • edited March 2015

....I blame orford for breaking clive on the show.
  • edited March 2015

Will there be a show tonight?
  • edited March 2015
    Very disappointed that the live stream is to end. It was my only way to watch the channel while playing poker on my PC.
    And I'm with Geldy on this, overall it doesn't sound good at all
  • edited March 2015
    ....I blame orford for breaking clive on the show.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Looks like some people might have their jobs on the line, but lets start cracking 'jokes' eh?

Hope the channel can continue in whatever capacity, reduced or otherwise!
  • edited March 2015
    No live tread for tonight's show i take it has gone already?

Sad day 
    best of luck to those who may of lost there jobs.
  • edited March 2015
    A quick note of thanks.

I was a guest on the live show three or four times.  I have watched it for a number of years.  May I just say a quick thank you and well done to all of the crew who have worked on the 861 and 865 shows through the years.  It's staggering the production quality they attained over the years.  All the camera operators, floor managers, gaffers, sound and visual engineers, producers, researchers, production staff, directors and on screen talent as well as everyone I forgot to mention, very well done indeed.
  • edited March 2015
    Well changes happen, they can't be helped.  Had a feeling this was coming after that survey a couple of months ago.  Everyone I know put down how important the channel was but I guess I don't know many people.  A few of initial thoughts. 1)  I really hope there is an aggressive and continuous marketing campaign for however this new model will work.  The description is far too vague for us to know now but without a base like ch. 861, a successful business will really have to bang out the advertising to attract new players.  And obviously not via just Twitter or facebook, those people already follow you so already know you and just marketing there is clearly pointless.  Losing the base channel is losing the biggest method of attracting new players, I really hope the marketing plan is already in place. 2)  Please follow through with 'some new ideas which we will share at a later date' and 'some exciting plans for it and the Sky Poker community will still be a big part of it.'  Claims like these over the years to a cynic could be described as a fob off as it has not always been clear these things ever arrived. 3)  Losing this alongside a long absence of a regional affordable tour feels like a break away from grass roots poker, an area Skypoker was easily the UK leader in and frankly what made this site a lot more fun than many others.  I hope future plans are focussed on this and what gave Skypoker such a great niche isn't lost in the shuffle.
    Posted by TommyD
    Hi Tommy,

A few points in reply.

The decision was not really connected to many of those things you mention, it was more connected with this line in the OP.....

"....and that affects how we can run the channel commercially and legally....."

Thats the crux of it.

861 was the biggest was of atracting new players?

The experience with the UKPC & Cash Game Shows has shown that Sky Sports & Challenge TV are far, far, more effective, & by a long long way.

Hope there is a Marketing plan in place?

Pretty sure the Management have everything lined up, we need to give them credit for being aware of the data, (you & me can never know that), why the need to change, & how it will work down the line.

Change, evolution, has to happen all the time. Few of us like it, that's only natural. We'd all prefer everything to stay the same, but they have to move on.

Worth bearing in mind that Sky Poker is on a growth trajectory unmatched by any other Online Poker site, & that's down to the Team who run it, & the loyal players who support it. Your site is in good hands.

"Vague future plans"

Fair comment, but I'm party to some of them as to Sky Poker TV, & I'm excited, such as someone of my age can be. 

People were surprised (& the demand suggests VERY pleased) to see VLV return, but it did. Now the discussions are well advanced as to Sky Poker TV going to Vegas this Summer, both to support the qualifiers, & get a ton of forward Content.

SPT? Point taken, but there are so many plates they can spin. For now, UKPC has exceeded their wildest expedtations, viewing figures have been wonderfully high. The price of success......

I've no idea if SPT will return, but I knmow it's not been ruled out.

Any other questions, fire away.       
  • edited March 2015
    Posted by MAXALLY

Yes Alan, a regular Show, & another on Thursday.

The bad news is Next Tuesday you've got Orford & me. All change & no change.

• edited March 2015
    This is a real shame, i actually only started to get really interested in Poker having stumbled across the show one evening, the hands being shown and the dynamic involved fascinated me, listening to the analysis and seeing the skill involved was an eye opener for me. 

This led to asking friends who played if I could join their home games on Stars and when they organised 'live' games. 

I then deposited £20 on Sky and have played here ever since.

Sometimes 'cost cutting' has unforeseen negatives......its unlikely I would ever have played without having seen the show.
  • edited March 2015
    No live tread for tonight's show i take it has gone already? Sad day  best of luck to those who may of lost there jobs.
    Posted by frascati
    The Show Thread for tonight will go up shortly, Rose.

We are hoping that tonight & Thursday will be fun Shows, and then the new adventure begins.  

• edited March 2015
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Yes, there will.
  • edited March 2015
    This is a real shame, i actually only started to get really interested in Poker having stumbled across the show one evening, the hands being shown and the dynamic involved fascinated me, listening to the analysis and seeing the skill involved was an eye opener for me. 

This led to asking friends who played if I could join their home games on Stars and when they organised 'live' games. 

I then deposited £20 on Sky and have played here ever since.

Sometimes 'cost cutting' has unforeseen negatives......its unlikely I would ever have played without having seen the show.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : The Show Thread for tonight will go up shortly, Rose. We are hoping that tonight & Thursday will be fun Shows, and then the new adventure begins.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    He didn't look like a 'Rose' when I saw him in Nottingham! The avatar got me at first to be fair.

Interested to see where it goes from here, hopefully onwards and upwards.
  • edited March 2015

Without replying to the forum troll, I would just like to reiterate that I have, from day one, supported most of the live shows via the show thread and come to know most presenters/analysts IRL. I will genuinely feel sad at its loss if this is the case.

I also hope that we can at least have that 'community' feel to any new format of shows.
  • edited March 2015
    This is a real shame, i actually only started to get really interested in Poker having stumbled across the show one evening, the hands being shown and the dynamic involved fascinated me, listening to the analysis and seeing the skill involved was an eye opener for me.  This led to asking friends who played if I could join their home games on Stars and when they organised 'live' games.  I then deposited £20 on Sky and have played here ever since. Sometimes 'cost cutting' has unforeseen negatives......its unlikely I would ever have played without having seen the show.
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Yo Scottish Golf bloke,

Others have also suggested "cost cutting", but it's a lot wider than that, its not just cost, it's more about the legal difficulties & being cost-effective.

The Team who run Ch 861 - Dan, Chan & Louis - remain in place & are all revved up, chomping at the bit, to do Sky Poker TV. Remember, it matters to them as much as it does to anyone.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : He didn't look like a 'Rose' when I saw him in Nottingham! The avatar got me at first to be fair. Interested to see where it goes from here, hopefully onwards and upwards.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Oops, apologies, I confused "Irish Rose" with "frascait" because of the avatar.

Easy enough mistake to make, right?

Onwards & upwards? You bet. SB&G as a whole is stunningly successful, despite what you may read from time to time, & Sky Poker is very much part of that success, & will continue to be.

• edited March 2015
    I think we can all agree that the software may not be the best on the market but its the tv channel and the whole fun feel that kept people playing on the site. I hope that now with the reduced costs of not having the tv channel that sky poker can now stay in line with the rest of the markets rake structure at the lower levels.  The rake on £5bhs and below should be reduced to 10% as it gives players at these levels a chance and also rake on rebuys and addons should be scrapped.  
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : Yo Scotting Golf bloke,   Others have also suggested "cost cutting", but it's a lot wider than that, its not just cost, it's more about the legal difficulties & being cost-effective . The Team who run Ch 861 - Dan, Chan & Louis - remain in place & are all revved up, chomping at the bit, to do Sky Poker TV. Remember, it matters to them as much as it does to anyone.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hey HiLo Crusher,

In the time it took me to compose my short paragraph (edited 3 or 4 times......the cost of being a perfectionist :-))

many posts and replies had appeared and my post was somewhat outdated.....a bit like my poker most days :-)

Thanks for taking time to try and answer a lot of the points and i hope you and the team take the channel to new heights of excellence......;-))
  • edited March 2015
    Posted by TommyD
    +1 on Tommy's points, also would be a real shame to see the high class such as ryan spittles and joe stapleton be taken away from sky poker tv by competitors. Also how is it going to be streamed? I recommend a twitch channel as thats such a good outlet for poker on tv nowadays. Would defo watch a stream if you did one Tommy.
  • edited March 2015
    I think we can all agree that the software may not be the best on the market but its the tv channel and the whole fun feel that kept people playing on the site. I hope that now with the reduced costs of not having the tv channel that sky poker can now stay in line with the rest of the markets rake structure at the lower levels.  The rake on £5bhs and below should be reduced to 10% as it gives players at these levels a chance and also rake on rebuys and addons should be scrapped.  
    Posted by bearlyther
    Hi Conor,

Yes, the TV channel helps, but it's a whole lot of other things, too, TV is just a part of a far larger jigsaw. 

I can't comment on rake structures because I have no idea of their thinking on such things, but the overall results of Sky Poker suggest that they have the right demand v cost v value ratios in place. That's a separate discussion, really.

We can debate the logic of how adjusting prices adjusts demand all day & never reach concensus. Of course people would prefer rake to be less, but they seem to have pitched it right so far. If they had not, then they would have adjusted already, imo. They review numbers in frightening detail, & all the time, it is a non-stop process of self-examinatation to help build a better business. They measure, every day, hundreds of metrics & review them every week..    

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : Hey HiLo Crusher,   In the time it took me to compose my short paragraph (edited 3 or 4 times......the cost of being a perfectionist :-)) many posts and replies had appeared and my post was somewhat outdated.....a bit like my poker most days :-) Thanks for taking time to try and answer a lot of the points and i hope you and the team take the channel to new heights of excellence......;-))
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Hi Fellow Hi-Lo crusher. ;)

Happy to answer any questions.

It's amazing this place, that the customers care so much, (by replying & commenting so constructively) you don't see that much elsewhere.

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : +1 on Tommy's points, also would be a real shame to see the high class such as ryan spittles and joe stapleton be taken away from sky poker tv by competitors. Also how is it going to be streamed? I recommend a twitch channel as thats such a good outlet for poker on tv nowadays. Would defo watch a stream if you did one Tommy.
    Posted by JJJOHNSON
    Hi JJ,

The existing Live Stream wil be discontinued.

Twitch?

My oh my, you are going to get me in a world of hurt with Suit City, because this is currently under the radar as to their plans, but yes, Twitch is very much in the thinking. We discussed it at length recently, the tentative first steps have now been put in place, some briefings have already happened, & it will happen very soon. It was actually due to start this week, but some aspects of how Sky Poker approach it still need some work. It needs to be done "just so".