You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Changes to Sky Poker TV

Comments

• edited March 2015
    You should definitley Hire some of the regs on the site to act as affiliates for X% of that players rake. I for one have and could bring over a decent proportion of players from other sites and I am sure I am not the only one.
  • edited March 2015
    Hi teeks 
    I'm sure their decision is very commercial
    it's just some businesses look at more than the immediate financial gains
    as clearly sky did running the channel
    all those soft factors define the character 
    and it's that character that is being dumped for the commercial imperative

whereas many of us on the forum love the old character 
    sky tv which is why many of us are here
    spts
    vlvs etc

you are right it isn't the end of the world
    there is a lot of potential with ukpcs 
    hopefully many more vlvs
    but the old character is definitely going down the drain

the community has rallied together to recreate spts 
    but live tv might be beyond our capability

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV:
    You should definitley Hire some of the regs on the site to act as affiliates for X% of that players rake. I for one have and could bring over a decent proportion of players from other sites and I am sure I am not the only one.
    Posted by Itsover4u
    Hi bud,

Appreciated.

That's something that is way beyond my knowledge & remit, so I can't really comment, in all the years I've been in poker, I've never got involved in that stuff.

They do have a very slick Acquisition Team though.

I've been with the TV side here since October 2006, so I know the backstory pretty well, & want to try & reply to all relevant questions, but acquisition is way outside my brief.  
  • edited March 2015
    Hi teeks  I'm sure their decision is very commercial it's just some businesses look at more than the immediate financial gains as clearly sky did running the channel all those soft factors define the character  and it's that character that is being dumped for the commercial imperative whereas many of us on the forum love the old character  sky tv which is why many of us are here spts vlvs etc you are right it isn't the end of the world there is a lot of potential with ukpcs  hopefully many more vlvs but the old character is definitely going down the drain the community has rallied together to recreate spts  but live tv might be beyond our capability
    Posted by GELDY
    Hi Gelders,

Respect for your opinions, but the suggestion that the Business is only looking at "immediate financial gain" is a little unfair, imo.

They have short, medium & long term targets & goals to continue to invest in, & build, the various SB&G platforms. All of them are currently on a strong growth trajectory, the results prove that, but that's not enough, they have to continue with growing & building. 

We'll never all agree on the best way of achieving that, though. The Team up in Leeds have a far better view of the Business than you or I do, it has to be said.   

• edited March 2015
    so upsetting!
    concentrating on pre recorded shows you say! so the same old repeats we have to watch now ! surely your tv figures show the live shows are the winners ! 
      i would rather have the 3  5 hour live shows and nothing else and sure most feel the same ? couldnt a slot be found on another channel if its about cost cutting??

• edited March 2015
    Hi teeks  I'm sure their decision is very commercial it's just some businesses look at more than the immediate financial gains as clearly sky did running the channel all those soft factors define the character  and it's that character that is being dumped for the commercial imperative whereas many of us on the forum love the old character  sky tv which is why many of us are here spts vlvs etc you are right it isn't the end of the world there is a lot of potential with ukpcs  hopefully many more vlvs but the old character is definitely going down the drain the community has rallied together to recreate spts  but live tv might be beyond our capability
    Posted by GELDY

that poetry doesn't rhyme, gelds.

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : Hi JJ, The existing Live Stream wil be discontinued. Twitch? My oh my, you are going to get me in a world of hurt with Suit City, because this is currently under the radar as to their plans, but yes, Twitch is very much in the thinking. We discussed it at length recently, the tentative first steps have now been put in place, some briefings have already happened, & it will happen very soon. It was actually due to start this week, but some aspects of how Sky Poker approach it still need some work. It needs to be done "just so".    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Excellent move :)
  • edited March 2015
    I don't post very often but I think, regardless of reasons such as legal factors etc, that removing Channel 861 is a loss to poker and putting on my business and marketing head, a mistake in my view. The main reason is simply that I when I stumbled across 861, I was a very, very, very rubbish poker player but after listening to the advice from the likes of Joe, Tkay, Redmond, Karl, Ryan and others, I'm now just a very rubbish poker player rather than the "very, very, very rubbish poker player" that I was before - I'd imagine others improved far more drastically then me though!

So without sounding like a creep, I genuinely mean this, thank you to all those people who are and were associated with Channel 861.
  • edited March 2015
    so upsetting! concentrating on pre recorded shows you say! so the same old repeats we have to watch now ! surely your tv figures show the live shows are the winners !    i would rather have the 3  5 hour live shows and nothing else and sure most feel the same ? couldnt a slot be found on another channel if its about cost cutting??
    Posted by AKAscotty
    It's not just to do with cost cutting Scotty, that's a relatively minor part of it.

For legal, Licensing & regulatory reasons, it cannot continue "as was".

Going forward, it's not so much "pre-recorded Shows", as a weekly Live Show, and a lot of pre-recorded material - Poker Strategy, Education, in depth Interviews (one is in the can already), more location shoots at Live Tournaments & Festivals, & so on. The Sky Poker Team will be "working" all that stuff hard, because it drives business.  

Certainly we'll miss the 24/7 Live, as was, yes, but it is what it is, the decision wont be changed, & plans for the new adventure are gathering speed.

I'll be watching the Roller Final Table tonight, mind, any idea who finished 2nd?

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : Excellent move :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    oioi, someone likes Twitch.

• edited March 2015
    I'm saddened by this news. Really enjoy the shows not only for the fun feel and likeable 'family' of presenters/analysts but the ability to watch tournaments and cash hands (virtually) live and get truly great analysis, and it could even be your own hand!

Will realy miss this. 

Fingers crossed for the future. 
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : Hi JJ, The existing Live Stream wil be discontinued. Twitch? My oh my, you are going to get me in a world of hurt with Suit City, because this is currently under the radar as to their plans, but yes, Twitch is very much in the thinking. We discussed it at length recently, the tentative first steps have now been put in place, some briefings have already happened, & it will happen very soon. It was actually due to start this week, but some aspects of how Sky Poker approach it still need some work. It needs to be done "just so".    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tikay would there be opportinuites for say regulars to assist with any potential twitch channel. 

i know myself, and at least one other regular well known around these parts have been considering doing twitch poker for a little while - i believe both of us did tester streams which went well aswell. 

Obv not expecting miricles, but think it would be good for both sky and players IMO - if its seen acutal sky lads regularly showing off the games on the site. 

Just my opinion of course. 
  • edited March 2015
    If sky opens up to twitch thats a big improvement, as there isa good market for poker there, even elky streams on twitch but bad to see that the channel closing was a good watch. 
  • edited March 2015

This is terrible news - and one of those cases of perhaps not realising how much you enjoy and appreciate something until its gone (or going). I consider Sky to be my 'home' Poker site, its the one I will always look to play on first and foremost and only also play on other sites when there are not enough tournaments of the right structure available on Sky. This is where I love to play and I can say 100% that is down to the TV channel. The whole community aspect is down to the TV channel and from settling in to play something like the Sunday Night Roller knowing that yours and other peoples emails and posts will be read out and your hands may show up on the TV shortly after you have played them - its through this that not only the presenters and analysts but all the regular players who often feature and have their emails and posts read come to feel like people that you actually know. I really fear without the TV channel Sky Poker will now unfortunately become just another site populated by random names and anonymous opponents.

This is a real shame - most of all for all the presenters/analysts and crew. Thanks to the likes of Richard Orford and Joe Stapleton for all the hours of entertainment, and thanks to the like of Ryan Spittles for all the hours of education.

• edited March 2015
    This sounds ominous to me, I was one of those that found Sky poker by chance just flicking through the channels when I was bored one day. I decided to watch it, and thought the interactivity on the show with the viewers and the showing near live of games as they were played  looked like fun and so I joined. This is the reason I stayed also, as the software is not the best IMO. I am worried this will disapear and if it does how many players will go with it?
    Still I will just have to wait and see as I/we have not yet seen what is on offer to replace what we already have.
  • edited March 2015
    This is terrible news - and one of those cases of perhaps not realising how much you enjoy and appreciate something until its gone (or going). I consider Sky to be my 'home' Poker site, its the one I will always look to play on first and foremost and only also play on other sites when there are not enough tournaments of the right structure available on Sky. This is where I love to play and I can say 100% that is down to the TV channel. The whole community aspect is down to the TV channel and from settling in to play something like the Sunday Night Roller knowing that yours and other peoples emails and posts will be read out and your hands may show up on the TV shortly after you have played them - its through this that not only the presenters and analysts but all the regular players who often feature and have their emails and posts read come to feel like people that you actually know. I really fear without the TV channel Sky Poker will now unfortunately become just another site populated by random names and anonymous opponents. This is a real shame - most of all for all the presenters/analysts and crew. Thanks to the likes of Richard Orford and Joe Stapleton for all the hours of entertainment, and thanks to the like of Ryan Spittles for all the hours of education.
    Posted by MATT8

Hi Matt8 (and for similar posters) - we will still be doing shows, just not on ch.861. Some, if not most of what you say above that you like will continue, just on other channels.

Thanks
    Sky Poker

• edited March 2015
    It is very sad news but I am still optimistic about what is to come, and I think looking into Twitch as one possible avenue is a great idea.

Big thanks to all the 861ers that made it entertaining and informative... Rich, Tikay, Anna, Ryan, Rutter et al

I'm sure a few of the above will still have a decent level of involvement in the pre recorded things to come.

Looking forward to seeing what's to come!
  • edited March 2015
    Hi Guys

Sorry to hear Sky Poker TV won't be on our screens much longer.  I will miss all the banter from all you presenters and players.  I wish you all good luck and hope to see you all in Vegas in the summer and at the live Sky Poker events.

Sue

xx

PS A really sad day!!!!

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : Tikay would there be opportinuites for say regulars to assist with any potential twitch channel.  i know myself, and at least one other regular well known around these parts have been considering doing twitch poker for a little while - i believe both of us did tester streams which went well aswell.  Obv not expecting miricles, but think it would be good for both sky and players IMO - if its seen acutal sky lads regularly showing off the games on the site.  Just my opinion of course. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Hi Don.

Twitch certainly seems to be of interest to a lot of people - I've had 2 e-Mails already, in the 20 minutes since I first mentioned Twitch on this thread.  (If those guys are reading this Thread, I'll be forwarding your e-Mails upstairs).

I am not aware of the exact format SkyPoker &/or SkyPoker TV intend to take with Twitch yet, but I know they are planning a bunch of Twitchy stuff.

I've spent the last few nights watching Jason Somerville & that PokerStapes bloke. Yikes.

Anyway, thanks for the offer, & let's see how it pans out.

In my little world, Twitching equates to bird watching, but the world of online changes things fast, now it's poker stuff so on.  

• edited March 2015
    Change is necessary and I await the changes. I remember the kerfuffle when Sky did away with the 3D screens and a lot of people said it wouldn't work(i had my doubts). Anyway, the show moved on and changed and was still popular, so I'm going to see what happens. if I'm playing poker at the time, I'll always stream the show. Don't even need to be playing to watch it TBH. Looks like my veiwing habits might have to change. So be it.
  • edited March 2015
    devasting to hear, being a site restricted to the UK, playing MTTs and cash alone is not really going to be that good a reason to play and them who play poker for fun will normally be more keep on an MTT than cash, the thing about MTTs is they are what have payout based on number of entries.

I was already devasted to hear the SPTs and DTDs ending, the community themselves have organised one, showing just how much we enjoyed them.

We might still have the forum but that can pose risks sometimes because you will be getting some people posting negative things like bad promos, rake and the nonsense of rigged, so without having the TV channel itself explaining reasons better, people might start taking the nonsense more serious.
  • edited March 2015
    Very Sad News.

861 was SKY Poker's USP. 

It wasn't just that it attracted new players but more importantly (along with SPTs), it kept customers loyal.

Poker players are notoriously fickle so will be interesting to see how SKY Poker manages without the TV channel.

On the plus side, I have gained 15 hours per week.
  • edited March 2015
    this as really but a downer on my day. i only been on sky properly since November and the one of reason for this was the tv show. But i understand the decision and wish the whole team all he best with what ever happens next. sky poker is number one for community and number 1 for customer service in my opinion. and long may it last. i will continue to support sky poker in any form it may take. and thanks for updates tk and sky keep us informed as i no u will.
  • edited March 2015
    Very disappointed that the live stream is to end. It was my only way to watch the channel while playing poker on my PC. And I'm with Geldy on this, overall it doesn't sound good at all
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    + 1 to this

gutted live stream is to end, really love watching while playing.
  • edited March 2015
    I don't watch any TV other than sport and 861.  Gutted!

The whole crew connected with the show did a great job!  Really going to miss the show.  I only really watched the live shows and the presenters/analysts always made them great.

I'm already worried that Anna's going to go pro and crush my regular games.

:(
  • edited March 2015
    It is all about the money!
    Money is the root of all evil!
    I will miss the old sky!
    I have always been reluctant to change.
    I am human after all.
    But to survive,I will change!
    Good luck to the new sky and all who sail in it!
    Sorry to those who lose their jobs!
    When one door closes,another will  open!
    So do not give up hope!
  • edited March 2015
    sad loss this   i take it the guarentees are going to be dropped in the mtts now as i think the volume of players will go downhill imo as alot of people only play when they watch the show
  • edited March 2015
    sad loss this   i take it the guarentees are going to be dropped in the mtts now as i think the volume of players will go downhill imo as alot of people only play when they watch the show
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Hi Steve,

Ch 861 only showed three MTT's per week. No idea how many MTT's run per day/week, but it must be hundreds?

TV coverage never helped the Roller last Sunday - it needed 200 & only got 182. As a result, that Guarantee has already been dropped to £15,000, but that's nothing to do with 861, it would have dropped anyway - it does every year at around this time.  

This pattern repeats annually, every single year, nothing can stop it. In the Spring, MTT Guarantees are reduced on Northern Hemishpere facing sites, in the Autumn they go back up.  

For context, the general industry wide split on proportions of poker traffic is something like this.....

Cash - 66%

SNG - 17%

MTT's - 17%

Different sites - maybe incluuding this one, I don't know - don't vary much from those numbers, maybe 1% or 2%, that's all.

So we are talking three MTT's per week from hundreds (admittedly, three Main Event jobbies) against that traffic split. It's not really going to make that much difference in the greater scheme of things. Yes, it'll maybe cost a few runners, but not a great deal. That's my opinion, fwiw. 

• edited March 2015
    Really disappointed in this news, watching 861 via the live stream is just about the only TV I watch these days. Will there be any way to watch the Tuesday Sky Sports content as I'm sure a number of the regulars don't have Sky Sports subscriptions?
  • edited March 2015
    Anyone who will be financially impacted by this has my every sympathy. Of course we only really see a few of the team in front of the cameras but hopefully nobody will be too badly hit.

I do now have an extra fifteen hours in my week. I might have to go out and meet people. *shudder*

Sort it out Sky!