You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Changes to Sky Poker TV

Comments

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV:
    Hi guys, not sure what all this means, but should I be looking at taking out my funds until the dust settles.   I don't know what to do tbh
    Posted by tsarina
    Hi Tsarina,

Pardon me, but I'm not sure what that means.

Sky Poker is a small part of a huge Business, it won't be going anywhere just because the Poker TV channel is changing to a different format.

• edited March 2015
    CHeers Tikay

I dont have sky sports, maybe i have to upgrade?!!

Thanks for the concrete information. Very informative ;-)

Greg
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : it's how you tell them teeks a few hours a week, subscription only and no live stream - that ain't SkypokerTV and for those who want to know what's behind this you can find some speculation here https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3ac1859c29-5629-4198-8d17-9449b41d11cf&plckFindPostKey=Cat:57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum:df77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion:c1859c29-5629-4198-8d17-9449b41d11cfPost:e1336247-8837-4641-86b5-44ee16261d20
    Posted by GELDY
    There's a bit of a disconnect there Geldy. That IS Sky Poker TV.

The term "Ch 861" is what I have used to describe what we had, & "Sky Poker TV" to describe what it is changing to. That's how the Business has labelled them. I've used those terms all day, so as to (try!) & avoid confusion. 

As to the new owners, you have, with good intent, I'm sure, several times suggested that the new Owners are behind all this. They are not , not at all, these decisions were made by the existing Management, be they good decisions or bad.

You are speculating - nothing wrong with that of course - but you are incorrect. I can state that as a fact.  

• edited March 2015
    CHeers Tikay I dont have sky sports, maybe i have to upgrade?!! Thanks for the concrete information. Very informative ;-) Greg
    Posted by djayskate
    I see what you did there. ;)
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : i seem to remember there's an old saying. i think it start  " if it ain't broke......"
    Posted by zadoc
    Yup, I remember that one too.

You could equally say "stand still & you'll get left behind".

• edited March 2015
    Great to see such a bastion of Sky Poker (Tikay) responding with such calm, patience and understanding. What a legend.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : Yup, I remember that one too. You could equally say "stand still & you'll get left behind".  
    Posted by Tikay10
    ok

maybe it should be

" the proof of the pudding is in the eating "

not everyone likes these new fangled recipes

this news is really upsetting, the five hour live streams have been informative and very amusing.

they were unique
  • edited March 2015
    Great to see such a bastion of Sky Poker (Tikay) responding with such calm, patience and understanding. What a legend.
    Posted by beckaza
    Aww, thank you Beck. I've been called a few things in my time here, though not all of them would escape the forum swear filter. ;)

To be fair, people are entitled to feel a bit miffed at first, I totally get that, but for the most part, everyone has been polite & civil, & we've had a healthy exchange of opinions. 

I'm about done for today, I even missed my afternoon nap, so tomorrow, as sure as eggs are eggs, I'll be Mr Grumpy.   

• edited March 2015
    Sad to hear this news and all the best to everyone on the team, behind and in front of the camera. Had some tremendous fun working on the live shows - sometimes it felt guilty to be paid for it!

Really talented staff all round, and I miss it already. 

Have a great final show on Thursday, best of luck moving forward and I look forward to the next step...and a beer with everyone soon. 
  • edited March 2015
    :-( thats all i have to say
  • edited March 2015
    USP

gone

good luck

• edited March 2015
    Its the whole site they want to get rid of

• edited March 2015
    Podcast? It's certainly been proposed & discussed, think they are trying to gauge how worthwhile Clients would deem it. That's something - if they go ahead with it - that could be up & running pretty quickly. What sort of stuff, & by whom, would interest you on Podcasts?    
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'll be the first to admit that I've not listened to a great deal of poker podcasts, but that comes down to not finding something I can connect to. So I try a few but they don't stick. I'm unlikely to listen for pure strategy or discussion of poker odds. I would listen to something with the right presenters, character, some good interviews, a bit of non poker chat, a bit of strategy, and some content about where I play ... which of course is here. So hand reviews and tournament results would also work, because we all enjoy getting a namecheck if we do well. And of course some chat from the forums or responses to emails.

It probably doesn't surprise you that I've described an audio version of 861. I genuinely think there is something in the presentation style that you and the team have developed over the years which could work well in audio form. And getting that in a 40 minute weekly form to listen to on the way to work would be ideal. Publish it weekly on a set day. You probably won't become the next "Serial" but having a weekly fix may also be habit forming.

Presume it would be fairly cheap to try out - and if it didn't work after a few months, fair enough. Appreciate it has to get some bums on seats to be worthwhile. But a podcast just seems to be the ideal place to carry on a bit of the 861 spirit.

PS - I'd be just as excited if you can carry on the 861 spirit into any Twitch broadcasts. Following tournaments live is the other big thing I'll miss, but it still needs to be done with the same character of the 5 hour live shows.

• edited March 2015
    i have Sky Sports but as most ppl who,ve watched it for long enough know - its not the same on their and seems a shame for it to just vanish like this after so many years - Also think the SPT,s should have been given more off a chance but thats just my view - and coming from a sky tv customer i don,t pay a small fortune for having my favourite channels dissapear w/o notice
  • edited March 2015
    Thanks to all of your support over the last few years.

Obviously I've known about this for a while, and found out a few hours before tonights show that Thursday is the last show on 861.  Really wanted to say something during the last few minutes on 861 but I just couldn't think of the right words.  I started watching Sky Poker as a losing player who tuned in now and then so been a long long road for me!

Tikay puts everything far better than I could but please don't be feeling like this is the end of Sky Poker TV. There's so many opportunities out there, just sadly not on our own channel any more.

I was on the show tonight and it's amazing how much more content you can get in without having to get in the 'teleshopping' parts of the 861 shows.  The 2 hours on Sky Sports 4 tonight went so fast and we received so many questions from newbies so it's great that we have a chance to showcase POKER to new blood.

It's very sad to lose 861 but that doesn't mean that there aren't some chances for some great things to come from Sky Poker TV, and I trust Dan, Louis, Chan, Tikay and all of ther crew and on air team to really bring a fresh and focused new direction to the TV side of Sky Poker.

I'll be playing in Malta when the last show airs but I'm hoping that the WiFi is decent enough to be able to tune in!  

Hopefully see some of you via Sky Sports in April!

• edited March 2015
    Ok so sounds like SkyPoker TV is dead - long live SkyPoker TV. New channel new formats - hopefully it will freshen things up content wise and reach a wider audience. 

I guess it's us loyal followers over many years who feel this worse though and I do feel for anyone who does not subscribe to SkySports. I first came to skypoker TV reluctantly, as a previous live poker TV show couldnt compete and folded.

If another poker site started a poker channel with regular live shows I would probably give that a try tbh as that "connection" is an important part of the experience of being part of the site and its community.

In the meantime thanks to everyone who has been involved over the years and GL.

• edited March 2015
    It was always on the cards after a private equity firm bought SB&G last year. 

Sadly poker whilst a very high profile part of the stable only contributes a small percentage of overall turnover/profit. It's purely down to what the company can do to strip out the more costly parts of the operation, fatten the company up and sell on in a few years time for more money than it paid. That is by definition what private equity companies do.   

It's a shame really, I am sure most sky regulars came onto the site off the back of the TV programs. We would always forgive sky its quirks because the proposition is unique. TommyD and Mattbates are now Z list celebs thanks to SP. 

I hope this new strategy doesn't affect player numbers on the site.  

• edited March 2015
    I'd like to add my sadness at the loss of Channel 861 and the live shows as we know them. 

This isn't in a "OMG it's the end of civilisation" sort of panic, but more a recognition of how much I've enjoyed them over the years. Both watching and, more recently, being involved in them. 

Farewell 861 and thank you for being part of our lives. 

Sky Poker TV, I can't wait to meet you. 
  • edited March 2015
    Where will these new sky poker 'shows' air?

I guess mainly on sky sports, which is absolutely brilliant for sky itself because:

1: It'll get more new viewers than it would stuck down on 861.

2: More new viewers = more potential customers to sky poker tables.

3: Plus more sky sports subscriptions because this will be the only place to watch the show. Although i for one won't be upping my suscriptions.

I heard some mention of challenge tv?

There hasn't been poker on that channel for a long time.

• edited March 2015
    Good morning everyone.
    Firstly would like to say a big thank you to all the Presenters and Analysts on Sky Poker TV.
    And good luck in the future, i only play poker on sky as i love the interaction and friendly community.
    Absolutely gutted that their will be no more sky poker tv.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
  • edited March 2015
    It was always on the cards after a private equity firm bought SB&G last year.  Sadly poker whilst a very high profile part of the stable only contributes a small percentage of overall turnover/profit. It's purely down to what the company can do to strip out the more costly parts of the operation, fatten the company up and sell on in a few years time for more money than it paid. That is by definition what private equity companies do.    It's a shame really, I am sure most sky regulars came onto the site off the back of the TV programs. We would always forgive sky its quirks because the proposition is unique. TommyD and Mattbates are now Z list celebs thanks to SP.  I hope this new strategy doesn't affect player numbers on the site.  
    Posted by ACEGOONER

Hi there, as Tikay said earlier in the thread, this isnt the reason for the changes.

Thanks 
    Sky Poker
  • edited March 2015
    Where will these new sky poker 'shows' air? I guess mainly on sky sports, which is absolutely brilliant for sky itself because: 1: It'll get more new viewers than it would stuck down on 861. 2: More new viewers = more potential customers to sky poker tables. 3: Plus more sky sports subscriptions because this will be the only place to watch the show. Although i for one won't be upping my suscriptions. I heard some mention of challenge tv? There hasn't been poker on that channel for a long time.
    Posted by RickyVilla
    Hi Ricky - we've ran a few shows on Challenge TV in the last year or two.

Most recently in January and February. We have more planned too.

Thanks
    Sky Poker
  • edited March 2015
    Ok so sounds like SkyPoker TV is dead - long live SkyPoker TV. New channel new formats - hopefully it will freshen things up content wise and reach a wider audience.  I guess it's us loyal followers over many years who feel this worse though and I do feel for anyone who does not subscribe to SkySports. I first came to skypoker TV reluctantly, as a previous live poker TV show couldnt compete and folded. If another poker site started a poker channel with regular live shows I would probably give that a try tbh as that "connection" is an important part of the experience of being part of the site and its community. In the meantime thanks to everyone who has been involved over the years and GL.
    Posted by Phantom66

On the two points above, certainly. We're obviously actively discussing this but if you (or anyone else) has thoughts on this, do feel free to post them.
  • edited March 2015
       Really sad news .... I hope at least they will still post stuff on youtube/internet for us peeps that dont have sky sports .lets hope the challenge show happens

Without the show I would not have learnt or been entertained as much I have !

As a shift worker that loaths most daytime tv the repeats allowed me to drop in and out of watching as when I   felt like it ,so will miss having a 'go to' channel during the day and a free learning tool 

I mean where else can I get called Andrex on Sky and still be chuffed!  (I forgive you Tikay!)

• edited March 2015
    I just want to see a six handed game with Stapes, Anna, Tikay, Richard, Ryan and Neil before it all finishes.
  • edited March 2015
    As you are now effectively a seperate company (only part owned by Sky) will the "Sky Poker" name/brand still be used?
  • edited March 2015
    As you are now effectively a seperate company (only part owned by Sky) will the "Sky Poker" name/brand still be used?
    Posted by VespaPX
    Not to answer for them but the Virgin brand is still used on many things long after Richard Branson sells them off.
  • edited March 2015
    Hi Tommy

Can you throw any light on what the legal changes are that have necessitated these changes? (Layman's terms please)

Thank you in advance

In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : Not to answer for them but the Virgin brand is still used on many things long after Richard Branson sells them off.
    Posted by TommyD
  • edited March 2015
    Posted by VespaPX

Yes, that is correct, we are still Sky Poker and will keep good links with Sky.
  • edited March 2015
    Hi Tommy Can you throw any light on what the legal changes are that have necessitated these changes? (Layman's terms please) Thank you in advance In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV :
    Posted by Maggiesdad

Hi Maggiesdad

We'll help Tommy out with that one.

The legal changes effectively revolve around the comment in the OP where we said we'll be a separate company, part owned by Sky rather than wholly owned by Sky.

Thanks
    Sky Poker