You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Changes to Sky Poker TV

Comments

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV:
    Hi Guys Sorry to hear Sky Poker TV won't be on our screens much longer.  I will miss all the banter from all you presenters and players.  I wish you all good luck and hope to see you all in Vegas in the summer and at the live Sky Poker events. Sue xx PS A really sad day!!!!
    Posted by kidgirlgy
    Thanks Sue.

Fingers crossed, see you in Vegas. Best regards to Dave, too.
  • edited March 2015
    Really disappointed in this news, watching 861 via the live stream is just about the only TV I watch these days. Will there be any way to watch the Tuesday Sky Sports content as I'm sure a number of the regulars don't have Sky Sports subscriptions?
    Posted by FCHD
    Hi Barny.

Without a Sky subscription, no, I don't think so, unless you have access to SKYGO. 

It will be on SKYGO, & I will post a link shortly for those interested.

Can't post it right now, am on the I-pad, watching the Arsenal try to put one over those pesky Frenchies, but will post it from my lappie shortly.
  • edited March 2015
    Sad news this. I only switched back to sky from Mr Branson because of ch 861. Also i don't have sky sports either.

Will there be some sort of schedule posted on the forum?

Otherwise it's going to get mighty confusing flicking through channels trying to find sky poker shows.
  • edited March 2015
    Like Tommy D had a feeling this might be enroute after the recent survey.

I think the TV shows are a big part of the glue that holds the sky community aspect together. 

As for why i started playing on Sky, entirely for the opportunity of watching my own hands on Mastercash.

I fear for the club feel Sky Poker has being erradicated going forward. I think sky need to be thinking very deeply about how they are going to reinforce what is the brands USP (unique selling point)

lets enjoy it while we can

memfno

• edited March 2015
    I think whatever format the shows are created in for future broadcast on Sky Sports, Challenge or through other formats, the unique dedicated Sky Poker TV channel will be greatly missed.

Back in 2009 I'm pretty sure I stumbled across Channel 865 by accident and watched a show with tikay and Lisa-Marie Long, probably spent the whole evening laughing and have watched ever since.

As a few people have commented you really don't appreciate something truly until it's taken away and then there seems to be a huge void left.  I would imagine of all the TV shows many of us have watched over the last 5+ years whether it's Eastenders, Coronation Street, 24, Formula 1 or Homes Under the Hammer, I doubt many of us have watched more hours of a show than we have spent watching Sky Poker shows.

I'm sure the future format of the show will continue to drive huge numbers of new players to the site and it'll go from strength to strength.

But I doubt you'll be seeing tikay in marigolds, Richard as a Christmas Elf or Lisa-Marie in that Red Dress ever again.

Changes - That's just the way it is.
  • edited March 2015
    Sad news this. I only switched back to sky from Mr Branson because of ch 861. Also i don't have sky sports either. Will there be some sort of schedule posted on the forum? Otherwise it's going to get mighty confusing flicking through channels trying to find sky poker shows.
    Posted by RickyVilla

Hi Ricky,

Yes, I assume there will be a Show thread, exactly as there always have, and it will include which Sky Sports channel it is going to be on. (Likely to vary week to week I would imagine). 
  • edited March 2015
    Like Tommy D had a feeling this might be enroute after the recent survey. I think the TV shows are a big part of the glue that holds the sky community aspect together.  As for why i started playing on Sky, entirely for the opportunity of watching my own hands on Mastercash. I fear for the club feel Sky Poker has being erradicated going forward. I think sky need to be thinking very deeply about how they are going to reinforce what is the brands USP (unique selling point) lets enjoy it while we can memfno
    Posted by memfno

Hi memf,

Well I hope you continue to enjoy it going forward, Sky Poker TV does not plan on disappearing, just doing different things.
  • edited March 2015
    It's been a great journey!

The live shows are why I joined! the poker was secondary!

You've had great presenters, analysts & amazing personalities share our living rooms.

Please give us at least 24 hours notice before the final 861 live show because thats one show I dont want to miss!

and please please please have an hour of best bits!

Carlo in a beer bellied santa costume and Orford as an elf still give me nightmares!

The beer belly was fake??

I wish all involved past & present, the very best in their future endeavours
  • edited March 2015
    What a shame

Firstly - best of luck to all th epresenters - Been an absolute blast interacting with you.  The only tv show was ever interested in in getting in touch with.  If not for the tV channel - I would either a) still be a trash talking sky hating troll or b) just walked away long time ago.

Like in any business - the people who sit up top will have their own agenda on how to take the business forward.  I personally only have sky tv for this channel and recording function - well do not need that now so that's £300 a year gone as will not add the sporst package on for an additioal £360 a year.

I do hope they took into account the longer term effects.  Sure if a show is missed mid week player count does not drop, but if that channel is never promoting the game then will that start a gradual decline?  Yes growth numbers are strong at present but does that not show that there is a winning formula right now?  

Do hope the gradual decrease of numbers is not just put on the changing season.  Maybe a decrease in numbers is planned in but the savings out weigh it?

Anyway - nothing I say will make a blind bit of difference so I want to wish all well.  I am deeply sorry for all the guys and dolls involved with sky poker tv who will no longer work there.  Take care and I wish you luck.  

Matt

• edited March 2015
    It's been a great journey! The live shows are why I joined! the poker was secondary! You've had great presenters, analysts & amazing personalities share our living rooms. Please give us at least 24 hours notice before the final 861 live show because thats one show I dont want to miss! and please please please have an hour of best bits! Carlo in a beer bellied santa costume and Orford as an elf still give me nightmares! The beer belly was fake?? I wish all involved past & present, the very best in their future endeavours
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH

Hi Dunmidosh,

That's very kind of you, thank you.

The last 861 Show is scheduled for Thursday as far as I am aware, then the first of the new format will be next Tuesday.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : Hi Barny. Without a Sky subscription, no, I don't think so, unless you have access to SKYGO.  It will be on SKYGO, & I will post a link shortly for those interested. Can't post it right now, am on the I-pad, watching the Arsenal try to put one over those pesky Frenchies, but will post it from my lappie shortly.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Technically they are Monaconians as they are their own independant principallity.  I hear Orford may be moving there soon :)

Very sad to hear of the end of the channel and I hope that everyone effected can find employment soon.  My girls still talk about when "that old man that Daddy watches on the tv" wished them a happy birthday last year.  Good luck all and many many thanks for the memories
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : Technically they are Monaconians as they are their own independant principallity.  I hear Orford may be moving there soon :) Very sad to hear of the end of the channel and I hope that everyone effected can find employment soon.  My girls still talk about when "that old man that Daddy watches on the tv" wished them a happy birthday last year.  Good luck all and many many thanks for the memories
    Posted by cenachav

What old man?

PS - 1-0 Arsenal.
  • edited March 2015

the news is a bit sad, tikay.  i hope that you and your tv colleagues will do ok.  i hope it isnt the end of things that were great, more the start of things that are even better.

could there be an outtake section on the last show?

• edited March 2015
    I haven't told the Mrs this news.  Not sure I will TBH!   If I do it means she'll have the remote an extra 15 x hours per week!

On a serious note tho, I will defffo miss my "poker fix" in its current form.  IMO "current form" is the key.  We all innately hate change.  e.g. I was gutted when 865 became 861!  ;-)  

I also would like to pay credit to the folks that have entertained and, more importantly, educated me over the last 4 x years.  It will be exactly 4 x years on the 26th March that I discovered 865 & more importantly POKER.  It was a very moving & personal cathartic experience for me discovering poker and I hope to do a short retro diary of my experience in a couple of days.  I know a few of you already know my story BUT it helps me re-writing it down. 
    I'm also REALLY looking forward to the NEW format.  In fact I'm twitching already!!
    Pad

P.S. "There is NOTHING permanent except change"

• edited March 2015
    I think whatever format the shows are created in for future broadcast on Sky Sports, Challenge or through other formats, the unique dedicated Sky Poker TV channel will be greatly missed. Back in 2009 I'm pretty sure I stumbled across Channel 865 by accident and watched a show with tikay and Lisa-Marie Long, probably spent the whole evening laughing and have watched ever since. As a few people have commented you really don't appreciate something truly until it's taken away and then there seems to be a huge void left.  I would imagine of all the TV shows many of us have watched over the last 5+ years whether it's Eastenders, Coronation Street, 24, Formula 1 or Homes Under the Hammer, I doubt many of us have watched more hours of a show than we have spent watching Sky Poker shows. I'm sure the future format of the show will continue to drive huge numbers of new players to the site and it'll go from strength to strength. But I doubt you'll be seeing tikay in marigolds, Richard as a Christmas Elf or Lisa-Marie in that Red Dress ever again. Changes - That's just the way it is.
    Posted by Machka

How could anyone forget that red dress :)

Good luck with the new format, not sure it will be my cup of tea, but will give it a go.  
  • edited March 2015
    It's a shame, especially as I'm another one of those who stumbled on the channel in 2007 and never left. That's totally down to the channel and the chance to follow tournaments through the evening. Plus some rather good presenters.

But I appreciate the need to change. I just hope there will be some interesting new ways to follow some of the big tournaments in the future. I'm particularly thinking of the VLV final, as it would be good to see who makes it to Vegas but I'd like to see coverage through other selected events.

Twitch would be an exciting development as I'm not currently a Sky Sports subscriber, so I'd rely on other means of getting to the new coverage when it was live. Anything else that can be done with mobile video, or shorter summaries of final tables on youtube would also be appreciated. And have you ever considered doing a weekly podcast?

Hope the new developments go well and best of luck to those involved in the changes.

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : Hi memf, Well I hope you continue to enjoy it going forward, Sky Poker TV does not plan on disappearing, just doing different things.
    Posted by Tikay10
    it's how you tell them teeks

a few hours a week, subscription only and no live stream - that ain't SkypokerTV

and for those who want to know what's behind this you can find some speculation here

• edited March 2015
    What a shame Firstly - best of luck to all th epresenters - Been an absolute blast interacting with you.  The only tv show was ever interested in in getting in touch with.  If not for the tV channel - I would either a) still be a trash talking sky hating troll or b) just walked away long time ago. Like in any business - the people who sit up top will have their own agenda on how to take the business forward.  I personally only have sky tv for this channel and recording function - well do not need that now so that's £300 a year gone as will not add the sporst package on for an additioal £360 a year. I do hope they took into account the longer term effects.  Sure if a show is missed mid week player count does not drop, but if that channel is never promoting the game then will that start a gradual decline?  Yes growth numbers are strong at present but does that not show that there is a winning formula right now?   Do hope the gradual decrease of numbers is not just put on the changing season.  Maybe a decrease in numbers is planned in but the savings out weigh it? Anyway - nothing I say will make a blind bit of difference so I want to wish all well.  I am deeply sorry for all the guys and dolls involved with sky poker tv who will no longer work there.  Take care and I wish you luck.   Matt
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Thanks Matt.

There is a seasonal fluctuation every Spring, no exception, this year will be no different, plus or minus a few %. Come Autumn, it swings back up again. Nothing anyone can do will change that, & it's all in the forercast & budget.

No decreases in numbers is "planned", (the annual seasonal swings excepted), & the current trajectory is strong growth y-o-y.

Your kind words are, I'm sure, appreciated by all, certainly by me. Hope you can tune in next week, or at least keep an eye out for the new stuff planned - interviews, location shoots at big events, Twitch, Vegas (fingers crossed), & all sorts.  

• edited March 2015
    Really upset re this, have watched Sky Poker for a long time and have really enjoyed it.  it is one of the few ways of getting info from some really good professional players.  I don't have Sky Sports and won't be getting it, therefore will not be able to watch.  
    I have loved the live streaming and all the advice, feel it is a sad day for all the staff and will miss you all, even TK
    Good luck to all of you and thank you for so many great shows.  
  • edited March 2015
    gutted to hear this news... nearly 3 years ago i stumbled across sky poker tv by accident, after a few months of watching the show i decided to give it a go myself, I have come a long way in that time but i certainly would never have thought about playing online poker had it not been for the sky poker tv shows.
  • edited March 2015
    Gutted

I have recently got onto sky poker and have really enjoyed the banter that Sky Poker TV provides.

I have also started contacting the show and am now dissapointed that this wont continue. 

Good luck to all. How will people without sky sports be able to get involved and will there be a live show?

Regards

Greg - djayskate
  • edited March 2015
    the news is a bit sad, tikay.  i hope that you and your tv colleagues will do ok.  i hope it isnt the end of things that were great, more the start of things that are even better. could there be an outtake section on the last show?
    Posted by aussie09
    Really appreciated, Rob, thank you. "the start of something even better"? Maybe, hope so, we shall see. Your Jackpot Updates on the Show thread have been greatly appreciated.

Outtake section on the last Show? Not sure that is possible, in the time remaining. I reckon over 8 years they have had some 2,000 Live Shows, & some 9,000 hours of Live TV (they used to be 4 hours, so I'm just averaging really), so that's a lot of unreferenced tapes (well, it's digitally recorded now I think) to look through. I'll ask them though, maybe they could, with a little more time, do an outake You Tube Vid or something.

The new Show on Sky Spprts will not allow any "calls to action", ("quick, register now, Late Reg closes shortly") or "sign up now, get a sign-up bonus", so in some ways, that should make better viewing, that's a tough message for the Presenters & Analysts to endlessly repeat without it sounding "flat".

Anyway, thank you.

• edited March 2015
    gutted to hear this news... nearly 3 years ago i stumbled across sky poker tv by accident, after a few months of watching the show i decided to give it a go myself, I have come a long way in that time but i certainly would never have thought about playing online poker had it not been for the sky poker tv shows.
    Posted by jordz16
    You, me and countless others.

So shortsighted.

Rake will increase next.

Online poker operators kill their own golden goose while trying to force more eggs out of it.

Sad but symptomatic of these capitalist times.

• edited March 2015
    I haven't told the Mrs this news.  Not sure I will TBH!   If I do it means she'll have the remote an extra 15 x hours per week! On a serious note tho, I will defffo miss my "poker fix" in its current form.  IMO "current form" is the key.  We all innately hate change.  e.g. I was gutted when 865 became 861!  ;-)   I also would like to pay credit to the folks that have entertained and, more importantly, educated me over the last 4 x years.  It will be exactly 4 x years on the 26th March that I discovered 865 & more importantly POKER.  It was a very moving & personal cathartic experience for me discovering poker and I hope to do a short retro diary of my experience in a couple of days.  I know a few of you already know my story BUT it helps me re-writing it down.  I'm also REALLY looking forward to the NEW format.  In fact I'm twitching already!! Pad P.S. "There is NOTHING permanent except change"  
    Posted by Glenelg
    Stop it Pad, you'll have me welling up. That's a grand Post, thank you. See you at the PLO8 tables soon.

Make sure you start that Diary, please. Seriously, ok?

And yes, nothing permanent except change. It's how things are these days, but we all seem to be doing ok.

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : Thanks Matt. There is a seasonal fluctuation every Spring, no exception, this year will be no different, plus or minus a few %. Come Autumn, it swings back up again. Nothing anyone can do will change that, & it's all in the forercast & budget. No decreases in numbers is "planned", (the annual seasonal swings excepted), & the current trajectory is strong growth y-o-y. Your kind words are, I'm sure, appreciated by all, certainly by me. Hope you can tune in next week, or at least keep an eye out for the new stuff planned - interviews, location shoots at big events, Twitch, Vegas (fingers crossed), & all sorts.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Try and stop me :-)

Best of luck and who knows - may see you in Vegas :-)

• edited March 2015
    Hi guys, not sure what all this means, but should I be looking at taking out my funds until the dust settles.   I don't know what to do tbh
  • edited March 2015
    It's a shame, especially as I'm another one of those who stumbled on the channel in 2007 and never left. That's totally down to the channel and the chance to follow tournaments through the evening. Plus some rather good presenters. But I appreciate the need to change. I just hope there will be some interesting new ways to follow some of the big tournaments in the future. I'm particularly thinking of the VLV final, as it would be good to see who makes it to Vegas but I'd like to see coverage through other selected events. Twitch would be an exciting development as I'm not currently a Sky Sports subscriber, so I'd rely on other means of getting to the new coverage when it was live. Anything else that can be done with mobile video, or shorter summaries of final tables on youtube would also be appreciated. And have you ever considered doing a weekly podcast? Hope the new developments go well and best of luck to those involved in the changes.
    Posted by IRONZ
    Thanks Ironz, you've been here pretty much since Day One, Sky Poker has so many loyal regulars, quite something really.

Twitch - they are just getting their heads round Twitch stuff, e-Mails galore are going back & forth developing a Twitch plan.

Podcast? It's certainly been proposed & discussed, think they are trying to gauge how worthwhile Clients would deem it. That's something - if they go ahead with it - that could be up & running pretty quickly. What sort of stuff, & by whom, would interest you on Podcasts?

• edited March 2015
    Gutted I have recently got onto sky poker and have really enjoyed the banter that Sky Poker TV provides. I have also started contacting the show and am now dissapointed that this wont continue.  Good luck to all. How will people without sky sports be able to get involved and will there be a live show? Regards Greg - djayskate
    Posted by djayskate
    Hi Greg,

The Live Show will be on Sky Sports, that apart, Sky Poker TV will be prominent on You Tube, Social Media, Twitch, etc, & their stuff will be promoted on the Community.

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : You, me and countless others. So shortsighted. Rake will increase next. Online poker operators kill their own golden goose while trying to force more eggs out of it. Sad but symptomatic of these capitalist times.
    Posted by SJspanky1
    i seem to remember there's an old saying. i think it start
     " if it ain't broke......"
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : You, me and countless others. So shortsighted. Rake will increase next. Online poker operators kill their own golden goose while trying to force more eggs out of it. Sad but symptomatic of these capitalist times.
    Posted by SJspanky1
    Hi SJ,

Don't think we'd best get into a debate on capitalism.

Sky Poker & SB&G are commercial animals, thats why they exist.

If they do a good job, the Business does well, if they don't, it won't.