You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Changes to Sky Poker TV

Comments

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV:
    I think whatever format the shows are created in for future broadcast on Sky Sports, Challenge or through other formats, the unique dedicated Sky Poker TV channel will be greatly missed. Back in 2009 I'm pretty sure I stumbled across Channel 865 by accident and watched a show with tikay and Lisa-Marie Long, probably spent the whole evening laughing and have watched ever since. As a few people have commented you really don't appreciate something truly until it's taken away and then there seems to be a huge void left.  I would imagine of all the TV shows many of us have watched over the last 5+ years whether it's Eastenders, Coronation Street, 24, Formula 1 or Homes Under the Hammer, I doubt many of us have watched more hours of a show than we have spent watching Sky Poker shows. I'm sure the future format of the show will continue to drive huge numbers of new players to the site and it'll go from strength to strength. But I doubt you'll be seeing tikay in marigolds, Richard as a Christmas Elf or Lisa-Marie in that Red Dress ever again. Changes - That's just the way it is.
    Posted by Machka
    *shudders
  • edited March 2015

my guess is that it is simple business decision making. 

skypoker is a separate company to sky tv.  skypoker does not choose to pay sky tv a lot of money for a dedicated channel, plus the costs of production. 

skypoker does not attract advertising revenues.  a good proposition is to produce single programmes.  to start, the 2 hour live programme will run on skysports on tuesday. 

if the programme produces reasonable advertising revenues it will continue.  if it produces high revenues it will continue in more slots, if it produces low revenues the cost from sky tv to skypoker will increase.  skypoker will monitor these costs against their own revenues and will decide to continue or not.

just my guess.

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Changes to Sky Poker TV:

Unfortunately, I saw this coming too, after the "survey."

The TV channel was why I stayed with SKY for all sorts of reasons - it lifted it out of the muddy pond of "skins" that is online poker and was the most unique aspect of the site. It was fun, friendly, educational, and I have to say that the presenting team were A+.

I wish them all well, but I won't be upgrading to SKY sports to watch them in action.
  • edited March 2015
    Groan my favourite channel gone don't know if I will upgrade to sky sports probably not, started playing poker then found this wonderful poker show that was giving free info out about the game. It has always made me laugh I don't think sky know what a double act they have got with Richard and Tikay as well as the other presenters and guests that make the show so good. Always suspected Rich was a lot better at poker than he made out was that win the other night his parting shot for 861. Good luck to all who made the show so good including those that we don't see.
  • edited March 2015
    I hope there's going to be a helpline set up like what when the spice girls done split up. I think I may need it after tonight's show
  • edited March 2015

Such a shame. Really good presenters making poker easier to understand and also fun. I know Sky Poker is about making a profit but as many have said the TV programme was the USP for the company. I felt loyal to Sky because I enjoyed the TV channel and didn't want any of the presenters to think that I'd been unfaithful on other sites!
    Good luck with the future and well done to Richard , Anna and the rest for doing a great job in keeping grumpy poker players happy.
  • edited March 2015
    my guess is that it is simple business decision making.  skypoker is a separate company to sky tv.  skypoker does not choose to pay sky tv a lot of money for a dedicated channel, plus the costs of production.  skypoker does not attract advertising revenues.  a good proposition is to produce single programmes.  to start, a 2 hour live programme will be sold to sky tv to run on skysports on tuesday.  if the programme produces reasonable advertising revenues it will continue.  if it produces high revenues it will continue in more slots, if it produces low revenues the cost from sky tv to skypoker will increase.  skypoker will monitor these costs against their own revenues and will decide to continue or not. just my guess.  
    Posted by aussie09
    I think you are probably right Rob.

But there does not appear to be any legal reason why it should not continue as has been implied.
  • edited March 2015
    I think we need some clarity here as to exactly why channel 861 cannot continue as is.

After all, we are sky poker.
  • edited March 2015
    I'm still mourning the move from 865. I had to re-programme my favourites on the remote!

• edited March 2015
    Just my opinion obviously but............

I suspect the powers that be have made a big mistake in saying goodbye to 861.

It's a given that more new players will be driven to the site by moving to sky sports/challenge etc.

But without the community feel of your own channel you won't be able to keep these customers playing on sky poker.

The reason is the software isn't good enough and the range of games offered isn't even close to that of other sites.

Without a dedicated poker channel i'm afraid sky poker will go downhill.
  • edited March 2015
    Thanks to the team, past and present, in front and behind the camera, for the years of entertainment. I dipped in out of the channel  for the last 5 years but saddened by the news.

Good luck to you all in the future and especially Richard Orford in his quest to become a pro poker player. Richard has been the backbone of the presenters imo and if I walk past him one day, I will surely throw a pound coin into his hat.

Ta ta

Steve
  • edited March 2015
    Last time I felt like this was when Johnny & Denise left The Big Breakfast! Breakfast TV was never the same again, and I still go to Youtube to watch all the clips. About 14 years later. The best of the five hour shows reminded me of that. The education was great - I certainly learned a lot - but the entertainment was priceless. I have enough stress & misery day to day and this provided a relief, so yeah I'm really going to miss it. All the best wishes to everyone involved, I hope things work out well for all. And penguin too if he's still hiding somewhere in the studios. Much love! Elliot
    Posted by NoseyBonk

More tea vicar! Jezza for the electric chair!
  • edited March 2015
    Bit of a techie question, hoping someone will know -

I'd like to keep a few show recordings, including the last one, on my Sky box.

Just wondering if the encryption Sky employ expects the original channel to be present in the EPG? I guess at some point 861 will be removed.
    So hoping the recordings don't 'go bad' due to the protection.

If I know in advance I can get them onto DVD.

Thanks.

• edited March 2015
    Bit of a techie question, hoping someone will know - I'd like to keep a few show recordings, including the last one, on my Sky box. Just wondering if the encryption Sky employ expects the original channel to be present in the EPG? I guess at some point 861 will be removed. So hoping the recordings don't 'go bad' due to the protection. If I know in advance I can get them onto DVD. Thanks.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Don't really know, Elliott.

It remains there at the moment as "no longer available", but I guess it will disappear altogether shortly, eventually to become something else. Sky (Big Sky, the TV peeps) retained ownership of 861, which was part of the whole headache really.

Not sure why we did this, but there was a touching moment after last night's Show. After the Show finished, at 11.55, we all gathered in the gallery, to watch the very end.

At midnight exactly.....nothing happened, except the "ticker" kept going, cue mild panic in the Gallery, as the ticker is part of the Teleshopping & Compliance headache.

Chan (Director) said, "don't worry, there is a 10 secomd delay on that", & sure enough, at 10 seconds after midnight, everything disappeared, & "channel no longer available" came up.

It was all a bit emotional, in truth. I've been so busy & stressed with stuff it sort of washed over me a bit at the time, but Anna & a few others were in floods of tears, the great big silly soppy sausages. It sort of hit me a bit when I got home, but I did the psychological trick, "it's only a TV show" sorta thing. It's a defence mechanism I suppose.  

• edited March 2015
    Bit of a techie question, hoping someone will know - I'd like to keep a few show recordings, including the last one, on my Sky box. Just wondering if the encryption Sky employ expects the original channel to be present in the EPG? I guess at some point 861 will be removed. So hoping the recordings don't 'go bad' due to the protection. If I know in advance I can get them onto DVD. Thanks.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    I'm sure once u press the blue (I think) keep button and a K appears next to your recordings, it's there for keeps, until u change your box. 
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : Don't really know, Elliott.   It remains there at the moment as "no longer available", but I guess it will disappear altogether shortly, eventually to become something else. Sky (Big Sky, the TV peeps) retained ownership of 861, which was part of the whole headache really. Not sure why we did this, but there was a touching moment after last night's Show. After the Show finished, at 11.55, we all gathered in the gallery, to watch the very end. At midnight exactly.....nothing happened, except the "ticker" kept going, cue mild panic in the Gallery, as the ticker is part of the Teleshopping & Compliance headache.   Chan (Director) said, "don't worry, there is a 10 secomd delay on that", & sure enough, at 10 seconds after midnight, everything disappeared, & "channel no longer available" came up.   It was all a bit emotional, in truth. I've been so busy & stressed with stuff it sort of washed over me a bit at the time, but Anna & a few others were in floods of tears, the great big silly soppy sausages. It sort of hit me a bit when I got home, but I did the psychological trick, "it's only a TV show" sorta thing. It's a defence mechanism I suppose.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    It still is!

I'm definitely one of those silly soppy sausages.

I'm only about 58.37% through the show right now, which is why I'm hoping it won't vanoosh if the channel does.

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : I'm sure once u press the blue (I think) keep button and a K appears next to your recordings, it's there for keeps, until u change your box. 
    Posted by joesman1
    Thanks .. I don't think the protection they use would care if you 'keep' it or not. IF it expects the channel to be still 'live' in the EPG. I'm hoping it doesn't.

You know if you record something from Sky Movies and then cancel your subscription to Sky Movies - you can't watch the recording any more. Okay that's not really the same thing but it shows how their protection works.

I've just never encountered this situation where I record a show and then the channel disappears.

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : Don't really know, Elliott.   It remains there at the moment as "no longer available", but I guess it will disappear altogether shortly, eventually to become something else. Sky (Big Sky, the TV peeps) retained ownership of 861, which was part of the whole headache really. Not sure why we did this, but there was a touching moment after last night's Show. After the Show finished, at 11.55, we all gathered in the gallery, to watch the very end. At midnight exactly.....nothing happened, except the "ticker" kept going, cue mild panic in the Gallery, as the ticker is part of the Teleshopping & Compliance headache.   Chan (Director) said, "don't worry, there is a 10 secomd delay on that", & sure enough, at 10 seconds after midnight, everything disappeared, & "channel no longer available" came up.   It was all a bit emotional, in truth. I've been so busy & stressed with stuff it sort of washed over me a bit at the time, but Anna & a few others were in floods of tears, the great big silly soppy sausages. It sort of hit me a bit when I got home, but I did the psychological trick, "it's only a TV show" sorta thing. It's a defence mechanism I suppose.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    I too sat and watched the channel switch itself off.

First the end of the show, then the Orford & Ryan hand rankings segment*, the ticker, then fade to blue and "channel no longer available".

It was like losing Oracle and then Ceefax all over again.

Sad times.

*this technically means that Orford ended Channel 861, another line for his CV - Closed a TV channel.
  • edited March 2015
    this is such a shame
    the TV got me into sky poker and once it was decided I and a few mates were going to Vegas it was what I used to get the basics.
    even got a hand on and chatted to James Hartigan. I'd only been playing a few weeks
    RIP you will be missed
  • edited March 2015
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    861 channel no longer exists, recorded shows are still playing.
  • edited March 2015
    Gutted, only reason I stuck with Sky poker over the years. Hope the community continues to thrive and attract newbies. 
  • edited March 2015
    Well changes happen, they can't be helped.  Had a feeling this was coming after that survey a couple of months ago.  Everyone I know put down how important the channel was but I guess I don't know many people.  A few of initial thoughts. 1)  I really hope there is an aggressive and continuous marketing campaign for however this new model will work.  The description is far too vague for us to know now but without a base like ch. 861, a successful business will really have to bang out the advertising to attract new players.  And obviously not via just Twitter or facebook, those people already follow you so already know you and just marketing there is clearly pointless.  Losing the base channel is losing the biggest method of attracting new players, I really hope the marketing plan is already in place. 2)  Please follow through with 'some new ideas which we will share at a later date' and 'some exciting plans for it and the Sky Poker community will still be a big part of it.'  Claims like these over the years to a cynic could be described as a fob off as it has not always been clear these things ever arrived. 3)  Losing this alongside a long absence of a regional affordable tour feels like a break away from grass roots poker, an area Skypoker was easily the UK leader in and frankly what made this site a lot more fun than many others.  I hope future plans are focussed on this and what gave Skypoker such a great niche isn't lost in the shuffle.
    Posted by TommyD
    Tommy D you have eloquently voiced my thoughts
  • edited March 2015
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sorry but it is an abysmal way to stop . I am now forced to rank your site as just another poker site from something I regarded as a friend which gave me honest advice , Now all gone . As promises are too wishy washy and vague.
  • edited March 2015
    I am very,very sorry and sad that Sky Poker Channel 861 has ended.It hasn't sunk in yet and I can hardly believe it.However I recall Doyle Brunson's thoughts after he ended his WSOP Main Event career-'I am sorry it is over but I am pleased it happened at all and went on for so long'.I am posting as I owe a great deal to Ch861[No pun intended].I was suffering from depression following a bereavement when I discovered Ch861[then 865] in Jan '13 but it immediately gave me something new and challenging to focus on and my state of mind gradually improved and I am now okay  again.
    No one needs me to tell them how excellent the analysts have been-Jen,Ryan,Stu,Redmond,Joe,Ross and Karl-but I shall always remember how genuinely modest they all were,and I have learnt valuable lessons from them all -not just about poker but also about how to behave on and off the table and treat everyone with respect and kindness.For what my opinion is worth,my favourite guest was Jamie Sykes,perhaps followed by Simon Deadman and Simon Hemsworth but even during the 2 years I have watched there have been too many splendid ones to recall and the standard has of course been almost universally high.But in a category all of his own at the very top is the legendary Neil Channing.No words of praise from me for the great man could ever get close to doing him justice.[Ambassdor?He should be made a Lord or at least Knighted as an absolute mnimum]  Thanks also to the back-room staff,and the presenters and of course TeKay without whom much would not have happened and especially the players without whom  nothing would have been possible.At least now I have more time to play poker and I hope to have the privilege of meeting many from the wonderful Sky Poker community at forthcoming live events.Very Best Wishes,and thanks again to everyone.                                                                                                                                   
  • edited March 2015
    I am very,very sorry and sad that Sky Poker Channel 861 has ended.It hasn't sunk in yet and I can hardly believe it.However I recall Doyle Brunson's thoughts after he ended his WSOP Main Event career-'I am sorry it is over but I am pleased it happened at all and went on for so long'.I am posting as I owe a great deal to Ch861[No pun intended].I was suffering from depression following a bereavement when I discovered Ch861[then 865] in Jan '13 but it immediately gave me something new and challenging to focus on and my state of mind gradually improved and I am now okay  again. No one needs me to tell them how excellent the analysts have been-Jen,Ryan,Stu,Redmond,Joe,Ross and Karl-but I shall always remember how genuinely modest they all were,and I have learnt valuable lessons from them all -not just about poker but also about how to behave on and off the table and treat everyone with respect and kindness.For what my opinion is worth,my favourite guest was Jamie Sykes,perhaps followed by Simon Deadman and Simon Hemsworth but even during the 2 years I have watched there have been too many splendid ones to recall and the standard has of course been almost universally high.But in a category all of his own at the very top is the legendary Neil Channing.No words of praise from me for the great man could ever get close to doing him justice.[Ambassdor?He should be made a Lord or at least Knighted as an absolute mnimum]  Thanks also to the back-room staff,and the presenters and of course TeKay without whom much would not have happened and especially the players without whom  nothing would have been possible.At least now I have more time to play poker and I hope to have the privilege of meeting many from the wonderful Sky Poker community at forthcoming live events.Very Best Wishes,and thanks again to everyone.                                                                                                                                   
    Posted by dofferdag9

Wow. I've read some amazing posts on here, but that one possibly tops the lot.

So gratifying and humbling to know that something you worked on was appreciated in that way.

Thanks dofferdag on behalf of everyone at the channel and whilst I'm here, thanks to everyone who posted on here and the final show thread with messages of support and appreciation. 

Wasn't it a terrific final show with Anna and Tikay? Really quite emotional and even a bad cardboard cut-out of me didn't spoil it. Top marks all round for everyone associated with that last 861 broadcast.

Remember- we will carry on, but just in a different way. Hope to see you all for my next live show on Sky Sports at 10pm on Tuesday 31st March with the old timer. 

Yeah- try as we might, we can't get rid of him.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Changes to Sky Poker TV : Wow. I've read some amazing posts on here, but that one possibly tops the lot. So gratifying and humbling to know that something you worked on was appreciated in that way. Thanks dofferdag on behalf of everyone at the channel and whilst I'm here, thanks to everyone who posted on here and the final show thread with messages of support and appreciation.  Wasn't it a terrific final show with Anna and Tikay? Really quite emotional and even a bad cardboard cut-out of me didn't spoil it. Top marks all round for everyone associated with that last 861 broadcast. Remember- we will carry on, but just in a different way. Hope to see you all for my next live show on Sky Sports at 10pm on Tuesday 31st March with the old timer.  Yeah- try as we might, we can't get rid of him.
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Yeah great post Doffer.

I think there's a lot of us who felt the same way and loved the show. Settling in on a Sunday night with the live show in the background had become a regular event, last night just didn't feel quite the same. Thankfully there
    was Barcelona V Madrid to fill the void and as well as quite a few a regulars railing the Roller and livening up the chatbox. You just don't get that on any other site so a big thumbs up to Ivanovich, Tommy D and all the others who were chipping in and providing some entertainment - lets hope that community aspect doesn't die along with 861.
  • edited March 2015
    I am very,very sorry and sad that Sky Poker Channel 861 has ended.It hasn't sunk in yet and I can hardly believe it.However I recall Doyle Brunson's thoughts after he ended his WSOP Main Event career-'I am sorry it is over but I am pleased it happened at all and went on for so long'.I am posting as I owe a great deal to Ch861[No pun intended].I was suffering from depression following a bereavement when I discovered Ch861[then 865] in Jan '13 but it immediately gave me something new and challenging to focus on and my state of mind gradually improved and I am now okay  again. No one needs me to tell them how excellent the analysts have been-Jen,Ryan,Stu,Redmond,Joe,Ross and Karl-but I shall always remember how genuinely modest they all were,and I have learnt valuable lessons from them all -not just about poker but also about how to behave on and off the table and treat everyone with respect and kindness.For what my opinion is worth,my favourite guest was Jamie Sykes,perhaps followed by Simon Deadman and Simon Hemsworth but even during the 2 years I have watched there have been too many splendid ones to recall and the standard has of course been almost universally high.But in a category all of his own at the very top is the legendary Neil Channing.No words of praise from me for the great man could ever get close to doing him justice.[Ambassdor?He should be made a Lord or at least Knighted as an absolute mnimum]  Thanks also to the back-room staff,and the presenters and of course TeKay without whom much would not have happened and especially the players without whom  nothing would have been possible.At least now I have more time to play poker and I hope to have the privilege of meeting many from the wonderful Sky Poker community at forthcoming live events.Very Best Wishes,and thanks again to everyone.                                                                                                                                   
    Posted by dofferdag9
    Only just seen this - wow, what a lovely Post.

For the record, Mr Channing already has a title - Lord Grumpy. 

It was a bit sad for all of us, yes, of course, but life goes on, & we'll all be fine.

But no regrets from me, we had 8 great years, it was a great freeroll in some ways, & I gave it eveything I could, left nothing on the table. That's all we can ever hope to do.     

The Community? Fingers crossed it will continue to thrive, which is part of what I try to help with. We poker players do love a little grumble & chunter, most of us do I suppose, but most people soon get these things in their proper context.

Thank you very much for those kind words. My Twitter Feed, & the Show on Thursday, were flooded with lovely comments, & they mean a great deal. Anna piped her eye - the big soft soppy sausage - but I'm a man, well hard, so I was OK.

• edited March 2015

here's my latest thoughts....

if the number of people watching the skysports show is high then there will be more shows.  very high and there may be more shows a week. 

861 was good, but maybe skysports was the better option all along

so, watch skysports at 10pm on tuesday. 

you never know what good things might happen if you do.

• edited March 2015
    Sky poker channel was where i decided to dip my toe into poker partly because of the community feel. Otherwise poker, initially, can be a lonely sojourn i feel. It's surprising but when THS decided to have regional competitions people look forward to meeting up and see the money involved as a reasonable cost in order to meet friends. Sky poker started this and i hope they aren't going to lose sight of that or their base following may well disappear. What a shame that would be for us all.
  • edited March 2015
    It's not just the live shows I miss - 861 was my 'default channel' which I could always listen to in the background even if I wasn't watching 100%, because it was great but also didn't have adverts! Any time of day. Now I have nowhere except BBC depressing News that doesn't have adverts :-(