You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New Sky Poker Rewards

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Needless to say its over for you then? 
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards:
    no seriously 1st of June im done & I 100% will guarentee I will be one of many. This makes AMAYA seem like the saints of poker. Imagine if your boss decided to take 60% - 100% of your comission away lol. the freerolls are laughable and they must not think very much of us advertising it as "new and improved" never mind your bottom line you want to make sure the bottom does not fall off all together!! every break even grinder has zero reason to stay on the site which in turn makes less money for the reg .... and leaves the recs to get obliterated CONGRATS
    Posted by Itsover4u
    Really? I very much doubt it.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards : Really? I very much doubt it.
    Posted by MattBates

Its probably not so much of an issue when you are on 100% rakeback + numerous other extras Matt... if you dont think numbers will drop I think you are wrong.

I cant think of one other poker site that NOW does not give its players a better deal than this, tell me why players apart from the ignorant would continue to play here.... industry leading software? .... record breaking guarentees? or non of the above.

I had zero problem adding sky to part of my volume and have enjoyed the last year or whatever but this is what is wrong with poker and why less and less players are being attracted to the game. If you want to get on the bandwagon good for you as you have a good deal but you ust surely see where 80% of the people on this thread are coming from?

Anyone who puts in decent volume gets 28 - 33% rakeback as standard.

What they have done is an insult and to insult our intelligence by telling us it will be better for the vast majority is just wrong and a bad sign of what the future holds.

Are you telling me this a positive step? Even Daniel Negranu wouldnt try to put a positive spin on this
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards : Its probably not so much of an issue when you are on 100% rakeback + numerous other extras Matt... if you dont think numbers will drop I think you are wrong. I cant think of one other poker site that NOW does not give its players a better deal than this, tell me why players apart from the ignorant would continue to play here.... industry leading software? .... record breaking guarentees? or non of the above. I had zero problem adding sky to part of my volume and have enjoyed the last year or whatever but this is what is wrong with poker and why less and less players are being attracted to the game. If you want to get on the bandwagon good for you as you have a good deal but you ust surely see where 80% of the people on this thread are coming from? Anyone who puts in decent volume gets 28 - 33% rakeback as standard. What they have done is an insult and to insult our intelligence by telling us it will be better for the vast majority is just wrong and a bad sign of what the future holds. Are you telling me this a positive step? Even Daniel Negranu wouldnt try to put a positive spin on this
    Posted by Itsover4u
    For the bold part, to be honest I should know better than reading past this.  Just having this bizarre 'let's state something I make up as fact and try and pick apart the argument against it when it comes so it makes me look more credible' garbage accusation in your post negates any validity in the whole lot.  What possible knowledge or evidence do you have to base this on?

For the italic part, I can think of several.  Amazingly there is not a rakeback comparison site out there yet, mainly because most sites run complicated and somewhat different models, also as soon as you throw in affiliates it's almost impossible to nail down what is what, especially for networks which can have differences skin to skin via affiliates.  The next best I could find was a rather decent article written by J Tringer on February of this year.  I can't link it as it has other site banners but you have enough information to find it.  It compares the top three sites.  For the two big ones you're looking at between 15% and 18%, unless you start grinding to SN levels where a bit better than 30% is available.  But very very few people can hit those marks, certainly not recreational, semi pro or most pro tournament players.  They have another site there which I believe is now part of a network, it has 25% with possibilities of 50% with affiliates.  However more digging around the internet will find traffic isn't great to help you achieve those numbers.

I've had a quick scoot around the other sites and far too many articles and the numbers you are saying are just not wildly available or offered solely by the site unless you're getting in a time machine bound for ten years ago.  You said decent volume?  To hit those marks we are talking much more than decent, and even that is barely offered just by a poker site.

For the bold italic part, for me it's not as black and white as that.  I partially agree with some of it, well mainly on one point of the changes which I will detail in my own post.  But as I am here, there are positives.  A friend who is unable to post on this forum has shown me a detailed breakdown of the real effects.  The positive changes are this is a shot in the arm for the SnG recs who achieve a medium to high volume, it's much needed to help the player pool and imo overdue.  While they are not quite on par with the cash regs hitting similar marks, the gap is closed somewhat and this is a very positive move.  The main ones to take a hit are high (but not the highest) cash grinding regs.  I am usually part of this group and I'm ok taking another on the chin here.  Personally I don't play for RB and I don't think the drop is too steep.
  • edited May 2015
    This is an absolute joke. So this new scheme is affectively a 3% rake increase. New and improved is not how I'd refer to this mockery!
    Posted by dub1
    You are exactly what is wrong with poker playing regs.  You have set the rewards bonus as a base and promised salary/return.  It's not.  Bonus and RB schemes are always at the discretion of the poker room, and it is these me me me attitudes which kill games and turn sites off giving rewards/RB out.  You take and you expect and are so sure this status quo is yours by right.  It's not.

You have only looked at how these changes affect you.  Not recreational players who are the very lifeblood of the game.  Just you, because everything should be great for you without a care for the actual ecology of the site or the experience for anyone else.

If you want to play just for RB and a base return, get googling for affiliate sites and the sites they serve, and hope the deal doesn't collapse or the site you are locked into doesn't lose traffic or worse.

Best of luck in your future endeavours.
  • edited May 2015
    Sky to do list: 1) Make rewards system so complex no one understands 2) Dont do anything about ridiculous state of lobby 3) Annoy existing loyal players by offering new players a much better deal You couldnt make it up
    Posted by ajs4385
    I agree with the above.  Felt the need to highlight this before launching into my own as it cliffnotes the crux rather well.
  • edited May 2015
    So I've had a good think about these changes.  In honesty I think it's a generally positive move with two major asterisks attached.

Let's start with the positives.  A good friend of mine unable to post here (loves pocket jacks, Penguins and is always one year too young to go to Vegas) has detailed a thorough breakdown of the real changes players will see.  Fairly consistent recreational players and low volume regs will see either negligible  changes or a slight increase.  The real incentive is to make it into Priority where there is across the board increases if you only just get in or can volume up to get into that first tier in there.

SnG players who get into Prio and above really see some benefits.  They all get an increase and as it's been so long since this player pool has really had a positive change, since leaderboards and such were discontinued many moons ago.  It's a shot in the arm for that player pool and will hopefully increase traffic again in those areas.  Hopefully a monthly leaderboard promo or something similar will be introduced for the MTT players and we can move towards a bit more of an even spread.

The select few at the tip top end (of which I am yet to be a part of) of high level grinders will get a marked increase.  For the percentage of the rake they contribute, it's hard to argue against this and the increase seems reasonable.

OK, my two big concerns/asterisks.

1)  Those who would earn 500 points and less per week.  They are pretty much the lifeblood of any poker site imo.  I don't like such a high threshold before any cash return is available.  I feel it's too high.  Even a quid back is a nice gesture if you just play for fun, it's a nice feeling.  I've seen elsewhere talk about the freerolls offered.  Some think these will be an absolute boon to the recreational player, and I'm starting to come around to this way of thinking in truth but not without doubts.  I think that element may in time bridge the gap and give Recs what they actually want, more recreational tournaments and a shot at a decent prize provided the freerolls are maintained at the least as they are.

Concerning the £2.20 token.  This could complement the freeroll argument above.  However I feel there are two draw backs here.  They should be made cumulative to give the Rec even more incentive to keep their business with the site, because saving the tokens for the big shot is much more appealing.  and secondly the choices to spend a single £2.20 are really limited.  We keep being told (and I agree with this) that Bounty Hunters are really popular with Recs.  There's is not from what I can see a £2.20 BHer.  There are £2.30 ones.  And please don't say they'll be fine to spring an extra ten pence, if the token is a free tournament then make it a free tourney.  Knock the token up to applicable for any game where it is a £2 contribution to the prizepool, the rake has already been paid for with these.

I have concerns in this first area as detailed above but I see ways this could all work and I do have faith that SkyPoker are monitoring this situation and do have recreational players in mind.

However I do have a lack of faith in my second asterisk.

I'm going to be blunt as I have already been longwinded above.  I agree affiliate and new player promos are necessary.  I agree they do attract new players to the site.  I also believe that the part of the playerpool hit negatively by the changes, cash regs who gain 20k-40k points a month, are the one section most likely to see and know about these affiliate sites and deals whereas the vast majority will not come across them.  I do not trust that there is not a few Regs who will chance their arm at a cheating second account to take advantage of these new player deals.

And the blunt part, of course I cannot go into which individual cases, but I notice and I see.  With these occasions of alledged multiaccounting, I do not have faith that SkyPoker can prevent a significant amount of these potential multiaccounts early enough or at all.  And that is my major concern by having those carrots out there combined with these changes.

Thank you for reading.
  • edited May 2015
    I've noticed on the affiliate site they say you can request a "retag" of your account in some cases to get the applicable bonuses. 

(We may be able to get your existing poker account retagged to us for a rakeback/VIP program (depending on which network the room is on). Please fill in the form below and click submit- http://www.raketherake.com/support/retag-requests). Is this true? Has anybody tried it? Surely a better less risky option than having to cheat the system.

• edited May 2015
    So I've had a good think about these changes.  In honesty I think it's a generally positive move with two major asterisks attached. Let's start with the positives.  A good friend of mine unable to post here (loves pocket jacks, Penguins and is always one year too young to go to Vegas) has detailed a thorough breakdown of the real changes players will see.  Fairly consistent recreational players and low volume regs will see either negligible  changes or a slight increase.  The real incentive is to make it into Priority where there is across the board increases if you only just get in or can volume up to get into that first tier in there.
    Posted by TommyD
    I agree with the general tenet of Tommy's thoughts. The one part that I do disagree with is highlighted above.

In one of my previous posts, I mentioned that it is usual to use the midpoint of any new tiers to establish the average effect of these sorts of changes-the table to which Tommy refers is a classic example of this. In the midrange (2000-8000 points) some of the figures given are at the very best point for supporters of the new rakeback in the sense that they are the start of new tiers. To demonstrate:-

1,996 points (499 per week) New £8.80 tokens, old £19.96
    (NB-the 3000 points is wrong on the original graph)
    7,996 points (1999 per week) New  £119.94, old £160

These figures show the high point, and as such would be unfair to use as a comparison, just as the graph was-that is why midpoints tend to give a fairer indication.

There is a significant disadvantage to the volume MTTers on this site-I agree "the real incentive is to make Priority" but, as Matt mentioned earlier, that is not realistic on MTTs alone.
  • edited May 2015

As a sky regular for over 3 years playing one or two tournaments probably 5 nights a week
    I currently average 250-300 points a month.

I love sky, any cash bonus I receive is exactly that a bonus.

I don't play free roles but will look at the new scheme and take a view.

The vast majority of rec players like myself will not stop playing, if a couple of pound is
    that that important to someone should they be gambling at all.

No one likes change, Sky as a company are not going to introduce a scheme that negatively
    impacts on the majority of it's members.

I think that it has been stated that any changes will be reviewed.

Let the new system run for a couple of months, then lets all give input positive and negative.

My Dad told me when I was 3 that life's not fair, it still isn't.

Throwing your toys out of the pram is not the answer.

Win some money and life may seem a little fairer.

Daggers.

• edited May 2015

posted by tommyd

Concerning the £2.20 token.  This could complement the freeroll argument above.  However I feel there are two draw backs here.  They should be made cumulative to give the Rec even more incentive to keep their business with the site, because saving the tokens for the big shot is much more appealing.

would be really nice to see this implemented. as a Rec player playing small / micro stakes games getting the opportunity to play in a larger stake game would give me something to work towards, rather then the couple of £'s i currently get in bonus just going on my normal low stakes games

• edited May 2015
    I've noticed on the affiliate site they say you can request a "retag" of your account in some cases to get the applicable  bonuses.  ( We may be able to get your existing poker account retagged to us for a rakeback/VIP program (depending on which network the room is on ). Please fill in the form below and click submit- http://www.raketherake.com/support/retag-requests ). Is this true? Has anybody tried it? Surely a better less risky option than having to cheat the system.  
    Posted by Epoker
    They say they cant but kindly let you know that if any family or friends want to open an account that they can.

We all know what they are suggesting.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards : Its probably not so much of an issue when you are on 100% rakeback + numerous other extras Matt... if you dont think numbers will drop I think you are wrong. I cant think of one other poker site that NOW does not give its players a better deal than this, tell me why players apart from the ignorant would continue to play here.... industry leading software? .... record breaking guarentees? or non of the above. I had zero problem adding sky to part of my volume and have enjoyed the last year or whatever but this is what is wrong with poker and why less and less players are being attracted to the game. If you want to get on the bandwagon good for you as you have a good deal but you ust surely see where 80% of the people on this thread are coming from? Anyone who puts in decent volume gets 28 - 33% rakeback as standard. What they have done is an insult and to insult our intelligence by telling us it will be better for the vast majority is just wrong and a bad sign of what the future holds. Are you telling me this a positive step? Even Daniel Negranu wouldnt try to put a positive spin on this
    Posted by Itsover4u
    In the words of Homer Simpson "All people can come up with statistics to prove anything, 40% of all people know that"

When having a debate making up numbers really doesn't help you.

Given what you are suggesting, for the avoidance of any doubt I have the same deal as every other player that didn't sign up through one of the RB deal sites.

I win money from the games I play, rakeback is a bonus. I want a RB system that encourages rec players not mass tabling regs. Rec players are the lifeblood of any site. I haven't looked at the system in detail to know if it encourages these players.

I think about overall return when playing on a site, I could give you 100% RB but if the site was full of the best players in the world you wouldn't play on there.
  • edited May 2015
    Time limit for tokens?
    Posted by belsibub
    I would still like to know this.
    The tokens i have received in the past have had a 7 day time limit.
    If this is the case with these tokens i can see a lot going to waste unclaimed,not able to be used i.e. holidays abroad.
    Money back into sky coffers?
  • edited May 2015
    posted by
     tommyd Concerning the £2.20 token.  This could complement the freeroll argument above.  However I feel there are two draw backs here.  They should be made cumulative to give the Rec even more incentive to keep their business with the site, because saving the tokens for the big shot is much more appealing. would be really nice to see this implemented. as a Rec player playing small / micro stakes games getting the opportunity to play in a larger stake game would give me something to work towards, rather then the couple of £'s i currently get in bonus just going on my normal low stakes games
    Posted by mac24
    +1 to this
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards :   I think about overall return when playing on a site, I could give you 100% RB but if the site was full of the best players in the world you wouldn't play on there.
    Posted by MattBates
    This. Lots of recreational players (especially ones that don't frequent the fourm) aren't going to see this change and boycott the site. If some good regular players decide to boycott that just means that the reg's that don't boycott are going to play in easier games - which is going to make up for the less rakeback they may be getting.
  • edited May 2015
    Itsover4u is right, many will be leaving 1st June. Micro players love the points and the free money each month. The 500 points needed a week to get their current deal is too high for them. Forcing them to leave, not least because the rake is too high anyway let alone without money adding up in the widget. I can tell you nothing much will change instantly on the 1st of June, because every player I have asked has no idea of the changes. As stated here less than 1% of players use this forum. From the 2nd week of June however players are gonna en masse start wondering what the hell is going on with their widget resetting and they'll find out their first week of gaining points was for nothing. Lower stake recs hardly need more freerolls, there are loads of them, where they can get free money already.
  • edited May 2015
    If the £2.20 tokens remain could there be a big £2.20 game each night (either new one or improve a current one). Have it highlighted in the lobby, decent guarantee etc.
  • edited May 2015
    If the £2.20 tokens remain could there be a big £2.20 game each night (either new one or improve a current one). Have it highlighted in the lobby, decent guarantee etc.
    Posted by MattBates
    Good afternoon Mr Bates.

I have heard their is a £2.20 tournament in the afternoon @2.20 and i think it is a deepstack.
    All the best.
    Rainman397.
  • edited May 2015
    I AM NOT TO HAPPY WITH THE NEW SCHEME.

I AVERAGE AROUND 3200 POINTS PER MONTH WHICH NORMALLY GIVES ME 45+ POUNDS IN BONUS.

UNDER THE NEW SCHEME 32OO DIVIDED BY 4 WEEKS = 800 PER WEEK OR 8 POUNDS. TOTALLING 32 POUNDS BONUS.

THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THAT THE SCHEME HAS CHANGED IN 2 YEARS OR THEREABOUTS AND BOTH TIMES MYSELF AND LIKEWISE PLAYERS ARE HIT.

I AM STRONGLY THINKING OF GOING ELSEWHERE.
  • edited May 2015
    Posted by MattBates

Hi Matt

I would probably just use the tokens for my dyms.

But it would be good if sky changed the 8.50pm £2.30 BH to a £2.20 Buy in. It usually gets around 100 to 150 runners i am sure it would get close to 200 with the tokens.

So schedule wouldnt have to change just knock 10p off the rake.

Stuarty
  • edited May 2015
    Posted by MattBates
    This is a good idea, although can't see a big guarantee being possible every night, however what about the first Sunday evening after the bonus is paid have a £1K (for a start) gtd for £2.20 and see how that goes.
  • edited May 2015
    what are the numbers like on the site at the moment?
    I've not been playing as much as I used to and feel less connected, but may have lost a bit of poker mojo anyway.
    presumably there are figures to compare month/month year/year traffic?
  • edited May 2015
    1 £5k freeroll with big prizes - ie £1k to the winner - each weekend would have greater appeal to me and provide more incentive to build the require points total. I doubt the prizes in the nightly freeroll will be large enough to tempt me and don't have time to play an mtt each night anyway
    That is my feedback for a humble rec. My world hasn't ended
  • edited May 2015
    freerolls of no interest to me - want to play when I  want and generally for specific durations

as long as I can cash prizes in against the sngs I play then fine - but if only 2.20 a pop not so exciting, was that cumulative question ever answered?

all in all, overriding feeling is meh

but that's pretty much my feeling towards sky poker since the channel went - less of a connection
  • edited May 2015
    Can't say I am too pleased with the 500-999 points level.

I average about 3300 points per month and now will lose out on about £8 per month as I will only do about 700-850 points per week.

Not really interested in £1k freerolls would rather see rakeback increase slightly especially now that it is 500 points to trigger.  Plenty of recreational players will no longer get any  kind of rakeback.
  • edited May 2015
    Before April 2013 when Rewards replaced Cash For Points it much worse for low volume recreational players. For under 500 points per month you got used to get nothing. I used to earn zero most months under C4P even though I was playing low-stakes MTTs 5 days each week. 

March 2013; "450 points this month Sir? Sorry, no cash, no freeroll, no token, no anything for you. Thanks for choosing to play on Sky Poker."

June 2015; "450 points this month Sir? You have earned the right to play in 20x £1,000 freerolls and have been awarded 4x £2.20 tokens. Thanks for choosing to play on Sky Poker".

Did the recs go extinct under C4P? No, though the change to Rewards was much needed and much fairer. So this latest change is hardly a domeday scenario, it's still more rec friendly than C4P.
  • edited May 2015
    freerolls of no interest to me - want to play when I  want and generally for specific durations as long as I can cash prizes in against the sngs I play then fine - but if only 2.20 a pop not so exciting, was that cumulative question ever answered? all in all, overriding feeling is meh but that's pretty much my feeling towards sky poker since the channel went - less of a connection
    Posted by uncle0nion
    Kind of like sex, but you know, sometimes we have to take what we get.
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards : Kind of like sex, but you know, sometimes we have to take what we get.
    Posted by Slipwater
    How would you know
  • edited May 2015
    In Response to Re: New Sky Poker Rewards : Ignorantly; You have only looked at how these changes affect you. Not recreational players who are the very lifeblood of the game. Just you, because you assumed that all players are going to be affected equally but they are not. Best of luck in your future endeavours.
    Posted by TommyD

FYP TommyD :).

Thank you for informing me that the changes will not effect everyone equally, I agree that it was ignorant of me to assume that was the case.

Surely, your not telling me that recreational players are foolish enough to realise that they are paying over the odds for the service that Skypoker provides. 10nl on sky poker is raked at 7.5% with a £1.40 cap (3+ players) compared to Pokerstars which is raked at 4.5% with a £0.60 cap (3-4 players) and a £1.00 cap (5+ players). Effectively customers are paying over 2x the amount per hand to play at Skypoker.

If you want to talk about ecology etc, then lets not promote some sugar coated bonus scheme and ask Sky to lower the rake at the micros which surley would make it much more appealing for recs.

The only reason that I had an issue in the first place was because I think it's unfair for people that open an account through an affiliate; to effectively be paying less rake than people like myself that have played on this site since 2008. I think using the reasoning that it attracts new players is void. 99% of most new players probably arn't even aware that it is possible to sign up through an affiliate. And like you've already stated; the one's that do probably don't bring any revenue to the site.

As for my selfishness it's all good now, I just worked out that if I earn 50,000 points per month I'll get 32% in rakeback which means no more days off for me ;). See you at the tables!