You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Kags challenge

Comments

• edited September 2015
    Day 19 and 20

Played 8  W6  L2

BR  €70.65
  • edited September 2015

Love reading books in my spare time, but they have to be fact, not a lover of fiction whatsoever.
    So recently I started reading  personal development books, and I totally love them.
    At the minute I am reading The Chimp Paradox, really heavy at the beginning but when you get into it its great.
    Also recently I have just finished The Green Platform, amazing book really is.
    But my favourite has to be the classic by Dale Carnegie, How to win friends and influence people,
    this book really makes you think about how happy and successful people think, it was published first in the fifties and has been updated a few times since, but its an amazing book.

Kags
  • edited September 2015

Challenge over, went off the rails as per, thanks to whoever posted on here and gl all ;)

Kags

• edited September 2015
    I think I might have been the one to do it Q8>J3o
    When you feel yourself 'going off the rails' you need to think about what your working towards and what a waste it is grinding out the sng's if your just gonna lump it on a push fold table.
    Maybe invest in the mental game of poker it might help you with your tilt and help you understand why you get so frustrated with the game. If you find yourself down after a frustrating losing session, don't hop onto a bigger stake table still steaming without any skill edge, just let it go and work at getting it back the next session, you'll thank yourself when you still have a bankroll the next day.
    As an MTT player I have more losing than winning sessions, if I resorted to the push or fold every time I was down I would find my bankroll empty extrmely quickly!
    Just work on your discipline, we've all been there and stupidly blown bankrolls out of frustation. 
    Maybe give it another shot  and if you start getting annoyed then end your session early, it isn't something you can't work on and no reason you should give up on your challenge
    All the best  and gl in the future :-)
  • edited September 2015
    Thank you very much for posting groggy, but in fact the the real damage was done well before I came to your table.
    I am not sure but I think before tonight I won maybe 9 or 10 hu in a row, and somehow I became bored with that, spotted a great game in the dym section which included jac35, tikay  eoin1961  and the like, my biggest weakness is I love playing a game of cards with good players  I really do, just love testing myself against the best.
    Tonight it came at a price, that was an £11 dym bubbled it which I didn't mind as I thought I played ok, but then I thought why not try my luck at the £11 hu hilo, not clever.
    Long story short I lost 2 of these and a few £2 ones which I wasn't even concentrating on at the time, which led me to your table with I think approx £15 and first hand is bvb as per your post.

Thank you for your post and you are 100% correct with all your advice, apart from the fact you think you might have caused the derailment.

Anyhow BR €0

Kags
  • edited September 2015

That was quite a game, that £11 DYM, & yes, as you say, playing against, shall we say, "competent" players really is fun. 

I really wanted to win that one, to "balance my books" for the night, & gave it my all. 

rohn was a bit unlucky early, not sure what happened to Grumpy Jac (Jac35), but soon we were 4 handed & I was the shortie for ages.

Eon had nearly half the chips, so it was all a bit awkward. The chap "steekie" was someone I was not familiar with, but he had an awkward style, & was handcuffing me, as he was sat to my left & seemed to be quite adept in an unusual way, (calling a lot) behind him the monster Eon, & to my right, you. Not a comfy seat.

My salvation was that 3 way pot we chopped with the wheel, that could have gone either way, & then steekie doubled me up with an odd one.  

I don't quit recall the final hand, but I know it was a 3 way all-in - you, steekie & me. The table closed straight away, so I never even knew who had busted, I just got the "congrats" pop up, & was mightily relieved. Really enjoyable game, that.

It is always a pleasure to play against guys like you, who really know what they are doing. I don't mind playing the likes of Jac35, either.  

• edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Kags challenge:
    Day 17 and 18  Played 4 £1.05  W4 L0 BR €65.70 A wee bit disappointed with the amount of volume I am putting in, i was unemployed for over a year and that was the time to take on something like this challenge. But obviously I would rather be working and struggling to play poker than playing poker and struggling to get work. I am enjoying it though and I suppose that's the main thing, a year ago poker was the only thing I really had in my life that gave me any happiness but then when I lost it used to feel devastating to me.  Losing to me used to hurt so bad, whether it was a 30p dym or a £10 hu, but I really think now that I have other stuff going on I only now understand about how it really all works.  So I suppose the moral of the story is the more serious you take something is not necessarily the right road to go down, and  that a bit of balance might hit the spot a little better, all in my opinion of course.  Kags
    Posted by _kagawa_
    Very big +1 to that.

If we don't have balance, we become very boring indeed. Some of the semi regulars are completely unable to converse outside of poker, "& the flop came" stuff. There is one guy I know very well, been a player here as long as I can remember, & I know him both online & live. In the 7 or 8 years I have known him, we must have chatted a thousand times. And he has NEVER said a word about anything except poker. If I asked him about the crisis in Syria, he'd say "what crisis?", truly.

Liking the balance in the diary. See you later.

• edited September 2015
    Love reading books in my spare time, but they have to be fact, not a lover of fiction whatsoever. So recently I started reading  personal development books, and I totally love them. At the minute I am reading The Chimp Paradox, really heavy at the beginning but when you get into it its great. Also recently I have just finished The Green Platform, amazing book really is. But my favourite has to be the classic by Dale Carnegie, How to win friends and influence people, this book really makes you think about how happy and successful people think, it was published first in the fifties and has been updated a few times since, but its an amazing book. Kags
    Posted by _kagawa_
    Reading books might be my no 1 passion, but ONLY non-fiction. I read books & collect them - I have well in excess of 1,000 - but I bet there are not more than 5 or 6 fiction books amongst them. Books are the nuts. 

Now, stop with the tilting, get back & do another challenge. 

How's the new job going?

• edited September 2015
    That was quite a game, that £11 DYM, & yes, as you say, playing against, shall we say, "competent" players really is fun.  I really wanted to win that one, to "balance my books" for the night, & gave it my all.  rohn was a bit unlucky early, not sure what happened to Grumpy Jac (Jac35), but soon we were 4 handed & I was the shortie for ages. Eon had nearly half the chips, so it was all a bit awkward. The chap "steekie" was someone I was not familiar with, but he had an awkward style, & was handcuffing me, as he was sat to my left & seemed to be quite adept in an unusual way, (calling a lot) behind him the monster Eon, & to my right, you. Not a comfy seat.   My salvation was that 3 way pot we chopped with the wheel, that could have gone either way, & then steekie doubled me up with an odd one.   I don't quit recall the final hand, but I know it was a 3 way all-in - you, steekie & me. The table closed straight away, so I never even knew who had busted, I just got the "congrats" pop up, & was mightily relieved. Really enjoyable game, that. It is always a pleasure to play against guys like you, who really know what they are doing. I don't mind playing the likes of Jac35, either.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    :)

For once I agree with the old guy. Your thread is  really balanced and good to read.
    Sorry to hear you had a bad night and hope you have another bash at it.
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Kags challenge : :) ...... For once I agree with the old guy. Your thread is  really balanced and good to read. Sorry to hear you had a bad night and hope you have another bash at it.
    Posted by Jac35
    I'm glad my little poke in the ribs was not wasted.

;)

And yes, "balanced diaries" are such a pleasure to read, I simply don't open the "poker poker poker & the flop came" Diaries. We have some good diaries here now, fair to say.
  • edited September 2015
    Hi Kag,

I have been following this thread and you have proven your ability to build a bankroll steadily.

I did see you at the £11 dym and was surprised (not cause your not good enough but surprised you had jumped so high in buy ins).

We are all human and can make mistakes, how about trying this challenge again and when your tempted to up stakes you will remember this and make sure the same thing doesnt happen again. Maybe aim lower this time perhaps £200?

Anyhow either way your still a very good player and someone I really admire.

Ger
  • edited September 2015
    By the way, I admire you post the bad stuff as so many posters only report the good stuff and then dissapear when things go wrong.

Ger
  • edited September 2015
    Hi Kag, I have been following this thread and you have proven your ability to build a bankroll steadily. I did see you at the £11 dym and was surprised (not cause your not good enough but surprised you had jumped so high in buy ins). We are all human and can make mistakes, how about trying this challenge again and when your tempted to up stakes you will remember this and make sure the same thing doesnt happen again. Maybe aim lower this time perhaps £200? Anyhow either way your still a very good player and someone I really admire. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    I have been I silent reader / admirer of your diary so far, ger has put into words far better than I could, hope you do try again and keep posting, it's human nature to get disillusioned when we make mistakes but the thing that stands out is your admitting it, therefore we learn from it :) it's refreshing to see that you haven't blamed bad beats, site, fish, etc etc, so in my humble opinion you will be stronger for this minor blip, good luck in your future choice and hope to see you on the felt soon.
  • edited September 2015
    Hi mate I noticed you came to my tables last night, you were really unlucky in some of them, good luck in the future mate
  • edited September 2015

When you wake up the morning after losing you roll the night before, and you don't think of it initially, then bang oh s&%*.
    Happy Saturday morning me, I think not. In fact I felt terrible, not because of the money, but because I had let myself down again.  I was sure in my head that by doing this diary it would keep me on the straight and narrow.

So basically  I felt miserable all day Saturday, watched the Utd v Pool game that made me even more miserable even though we won, worst first half of football I remember watching with these 2 teams. Delighted to see Martial coming on and what a goal to start with, but I couldn't get it out of my head the mess I made of my challenge.

I know this thread doesn't get a lot of interest apart from the boys and girls that have posted on here, but that's ok, plenty of people on the tables were wishing me luck and asking questions about it, which I loved.

When I hopped on late last night and seen the posts from the guys above, I swear it lifted my spirits straight away, you are an amazing bunch of people, and I am not saying that because its Tikay or Ger or the rest, I am saying it because its true.

Going to take a few days off and get my head back in the game, I know now that although HU may be my best game I cant seem to get over how boring it becomes after a while, which leads me to go off track every single time.

Might do a dym challenge next £5 to £10,000 (what do ya think ger) wink

Kags

• edited September 2015
    Hi Kags.

Feel your pain. I can truly say I have been there and done that and the evidence is on here too.

Having a diary does help provide focus and discipline but I know all too well it can add a pressure to get results which can induce tilt.

Also dont assume only posters are reading. I follow alot more diaries than i post on as do many others. If I posted on every thread regularly that I follow I probably wouldn't get any poker played.

If you want to hook up on social media I would be happy to have a "tilt buddy" to discuss what tilts us and what we do when tilted then msg if we feel tilt is likely or already started.

Maybe dont set a challenge for a week or two and just play a few games tou like and beat and rebuild confidence?
  • edited September 2015
    Hi Kags. Feel your pain. I can truly say I have been there and done that and the evidence is on here too. Having a diary does help provide focus and discipline but I know all too well it can add a pressure to get results which can induce tilt. Also dont assume only posters are reading. I follow alot more diaries than i post on as do many others. If I posted on every thread regularly that I follow I probably wouldn't get any poker played. If you want to hook up on social media I would be happy to have a "tilt buddy" to discuss what tilts us and what we do when tilted then msg if we feel tilt is likely or already started. Maybe dont set a challenge for a week or two and just play a few games tou like and beat and rebuild confidence?
    Posted by Phantom66

Yep this is true. I am a regular reader.

Regarding losing the br..........don't beat yourself up about it. I'm pretty sure that 95%+ have blown their bankroll at some stage. When it happened to me it was a blessing in disguise, yes you're right it hurts but that is a good thing imo. When you reload you are determined to never let it happen again, you remember how much it hurt last time, it makes you more focussed and it certainly hammers home how important bankroll mangement is if you intend to try and build a roll.

Reload and have fun :)
  • edited September 2015
    Hi Kags. Feel your pain. I can truly say I have been there and done that and the evidence is on here too. Having a diary does help provide focus and discipline but I know all too well it can add a pressure to get results which can induce tilt. Also dont assume only posters are reading. I follow alot more diaries than i post on as do many others. If I posted on every thread regularly that I follow I probably wouldn't get any poker played. If you want to hook up on social media I would be happy to have a "tilt buddy" to discuss what tilts us and what we do when tilted then msg if we feel tilt is likely or already started. Maybe dont set a challenge for a week or two and just play a few games tou like and beat and rebuild confidence?
    Posted by Phantom66
    Hi Phantom,

Firstly smashing idea on the FA cup HU thingy, it will be a massive hit imo, really looking forward to it, its actually really exciting wondering who your going to get in the first round lol, or maybe that's just me.

Also it is silly of me to assume the bolded above as I do the very same thing myself, there is at least 3 diaries I read here every day without fail but don't think I have posting on any.

With regards the tilt buddy, that's a very generous offer, but I feel this is something I need to sort out myself.
    To be honest it was more of a boredom issue at first on the night of the lost bankroll, which kind of escalated into a tilt issue. But thank you sincerely for the offer. Top bloke

Kags
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Kags challenge : Yep this is true. I am a regular reader. Regarding losing the br..........don't beat yourself up about it. I'm pretty sure that 95%+ have blown their bankroll at some stage. When it happened to me it was a blessing in disguise, yes you're right it hurts but that is a good thing imo. When you reload you are determined to never let it happen again, you remember how much it hurt last time, it makes you more focussed and it certainly hammers home how important bankroll mangement is if you intend to try and build a roll. Reload and have fun :)
    Posted by waller02
    That's exactly what I intend to do.

Thanks for your advice waller, and thanks for reading aswell :)

Kags
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Kags challenge : Hi Phantom, Firstly smashing idea on the FA cup HU thingy, it will be a massive hit imo, really looking forward to it, its actually really exciting wondering who your going to get in the first round lol, or maybe that's just me. Also it is silly of me to assume the bolded above as I do the very same thing myself, there is at least 3 diaries I read here every day without fail but don't think I have posting on any. With regards the tilt buddy, that's a very generous offer, but I feel this is something I need to sort out myself. To be honest it was more of a boredom issue at first on the night of the lost bankroll, which kind of escalated into a tilt issue. But thank you sincerely for the offer. Top bloke Kags
    Posted by _kagawa_
    Hi Kagawa, just a quick response to much that has been said above, in that i have only come across your diary last week but read it and didn't reply but enjoyed reading it.(Good diary, keep giving life stories and other interests. Go to poker clinic for hand analysis if you think they help).Like Tikay has said in the past some people(me) would struggle to get some players 3rd/4th or even 5th level thinking on such matters.... except a gut feeling of yes he has it or no that doesn't feel right and i call! when playing.

Good Luck,
     Dave.
  • edited September 2015
    I would also add that BOREDOM is a big killer of bankrolls!! Fact....in my case working shift pattern can mean working through the night or coming home early hours of the morning;I have logged on after work early hours wanting to play a tourney only to find none running that i like and end up clicking ..sky vegas and low stakes roulette ends up not being so low stakes roulette!
  • edited September 2015
    I would also add that BOREDOM is a big killer of bankrolls!! Fact....in my case working shift pattern can mean working through the night or coming home early hours of the morning;I have logged on after work early hours wanting to play a tourney only to find none running that i like and end up clicking ..sky vegas and low stakes roulette ends up not being so low stakes roulette!
    Posted by Any2Suited
    No cheap seats at the bingo either.

Thanks for your imput Dave, and I agree with you 100% with regards the boredom aspect.
    Its different for blokes like us who are caught in between wanted to do really well at  poker, but on the other hand just want to play and forget about all the rules that you need to put in place if you are to do well, goes back to the old balance thing I suppose.

I know one thing for sure there wasn't much balance tonight, don't know how many games I played but lord I took a pasting, think I lost last 4 in a row not sure doesn't really matter.

Really happy there is a few more posting on here, good to hear other peoples opinions especially on the mental side of the game, and if anyone has any stories about how they manage there mental game feel free to post.

Thanks again Dave.

Kags
  • edited September 2015

When we have a bad night, we ALL feel rotten the next day. Been there, done that.

I had a terrible evening on Sunday, played 6 @ £11 & lost FIVE of them. How that? But it happens. 

The Diary really helps though.

Take a day off, reinstall discipline & patience modes, engage determination, & get back on the bike.

Interesting you feel not many read the Diary. You'd be surprised. I have a Forum elsewhere & the number of Posts have been falling rapidly. So I reminded people, asked them, to interact more. And the post count shot up by 50%. We live in an age where we read rather than write, someone else provides the entertainment, & we sit back & enjoy it. Plenty read this diary, I'm certain of that. 

Good luck tonight.    

• edited September 2015
    When we have a bad night, we ALL feel rotten the next day. Been there, done that.   I had a terrible evening on Sunday, played 6 @ £11 & lost FIVE of them. How that? But it happens.  The Diary really helps though.   Take a day off, reinstall discipline & patience modes, engage determination, & get back on the bike. Interesting you feel not many read the Diary. You'd be surprised. I have a Forum elsewhere & the number of Posts have been falling rapidly. So I reminded people, asked them, to interact more. And the post count shot up by 50%. We live in an age where we read rather than write, someone else provides the entertainment, & we sit back & enjoy it. Plenty read this diary, I'm certain of that.  Good luck tonight.       
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yeah Tikay, I know all about your swings at the dym as I am an avid watcher of them, its amazing how much you pick up about players when your not involved in a game.
    I am building up a little database of notes with regards the dym players as I am thinking this might be my next challenge.
    Before when I played them I mixed them with my HU games and that so does not work, your still in hu mode when you fire up a dym and then you get knocked out in 6th 3 hands in.
    But I am a better player than that, there should be no reason whatsoever that I get knocked out in 6th.
    I used to love watching Macacgirl when I first learned how to play hilo  over 2 years ago, she never ever went out in 6th, the occasional 5th, she just played a real tight game up until the point where she gave herself a good chance at the money.
    You were the same, One of my first hilo dym  games consisted of Tikay, Macacgirl, Arfur myself and not sure of other 2.

I remember thinking to myself, lol what an easy game this is those 3 just keep folding and I am winning every pot.
    Back then you used to limp into a lot of pots  in the early levels, not so sure you do that as much these days,
    but I remember remarking to you in the chat box, hey your the bloke off the telly that says not to limp at any stage or any level LIMPING IS BAD.
    And that was my first lesson re: hilo Dym. Totally different game to Holdem, where limping is acceptable at the early levels
    All this you pointed out to me very graciously. I cashed in that game along with yourself and Karen, hooked ever since.

Kags 
  • edited September 2015

Good Post Jim.

In a PLO8 DYM, limping IS acceptable - but only up to 25-50 Level, rarely after that. We often see limps even at 150-300 or 200-400, sometimes from a 4 or 5 BB stack. That's just setting fire to money, & is so exploitable. Just jam on them, & they (usually) fold.

They do, on occasion, limp then call a jam. Where's the sense in that? Now they HAVE to win the hand, whereas if they raised or jammed pre, they get TWO ways to win, as they force folds most of the time. "Two ways to win" is absolutely key in poker. 

I allow myself a few limps in Levels 1 & 2, but my rule is to stop limping once I'm down to 1,800, & conserve their power until later, when our stack has more value. And if I limp, I can assure you, I have a suited ace & a deuce. Nothing less will do. 

Some hands have different values, too. A great example is (say) A-K-Q-2 or similar. Playing this in Level One is fraught with danger, as if we raise, we will likely get 3 callers & if we miss the flop, we are in a world of hurt. I may limp early with it but usually just bin it. However, 4 handed & blinds at 150-300 or above, it's a premium, & we never fold it unless there is strong action from a big stack in front of us. We need it heads up, too. 

The players who play these optimally, to my mind, (apologies to those I have forgotten) are Karen (Macacgirl1), Gerardirl, Alexis1976 & a few others. It's lovely to watch them, so efficient.

• edited September 2015
    Good afternoon Kagawa.
    I read your posts with interest, dont post on it as i am no good at omaha.
    Looking forward to your comeback.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
  • edited September 2015
    Hi Kags

Deposit £5.25

5 buyins at 1.05 and i can GTD you will be up to 20 Buyins at least by end of the month. 

GL hope to see you at the tables soon
  • edited September 2015
    Hi guys, great reading all the posts.

I have been going through a rough patch of late in my dyms this month. I probably set my standards too high but regardless Im always aiming for strong monthly results. To date Im down 22 dollars this month in dyms which as of 15th Sep I really would be hoping to be up about 60 dollars or so. It is difficult when you log in and lose your first 2 games as then you feel like your playing catch up. 

Its fascinating how your mind works because you doubt your ability, I try to remind myself of when I was there in the past and how I pulled through it but yet part of me wonders have I just lost my mojo, are the other players just getting better. So what I did was I watched Grae play a few games as he has been doing very well at plo8 this month and his play reinforced in my mind the correct way to play this dym game.

I have made a few minor tweeks which I think are the difference between winning and losing and there really is such a fine line! My results have improved but then I tend to lose a few again so its gonna be tough but I'm deteremined to turn it around. Importantly for me Im playing with confidence again and yesterday I won 3 from 4 so thats a start.

What I will say is that this is why Im not bored of dyms because when you think you've cracked it,then bad results come along and then you have to prove to yourself that you can be a winning player again and that you can turn it around. New players always make it interesting as for me I wanna prove I can be a winning player against these new players - some of them very good and challenging players.

I will watch your new challenge with great interest as always Kagawa.

Actually you mention your first plo8 dym.

One of my first plo8 dyms I remember was yourself, churchy and 3 others. Anyhow we were on the bubble and me and another were shorties and you were raising alot as big stack, anyhow I shoved with AAxx and you told me off saying I should have folded...haha I still remember to this day! I do understand where you were coming from but one thing I dont like is to have my chips fold away, I'd prefer to lose with a good hand. Anyhow I know you were giving me advice as I was new to plo8 dyms.

Ger 
  • edited September 2015
    Good afternoon Kagawa. I read your posts with interest, dont post on it as i am no good at omaha. Looking forward to your comeback. All the best. Rainman397
    Posted by rainman397
    There is a pair of us in it so :)

Cheers Rainman

Kags
  • edited September 2015
    Hi Kags Deposit £5.25 5 buyins at 1.05 and i can GTD you will be up to 20 Buyins at least by end of the month.  GL hope to see you at the tables soon
    Posted by stuarty117
    Hi Stuarty,

Enough about me, hows your poker going, did you keep up with the Hilo HU yourself, how did you find them ?.
    Cheers for the compliment.

Kags