You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Women can't play poker.

edited March 2017 in Poker Chat

It's true, I read it somewhere.

Be interested in your views on women in poker, & a little Blog on the topic which contains a few questions for you.

HERE

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Of course women cant play poker, not like you see a woman winning a major title like a WPT
  • edited March 2017
    Isn't Vicky Coren the first (and still only) person to have won 2 EPT titles?

IE not just the only female?
  • edited March 2017
    women only tournaments are brutal. You think thats guys are aggro at the table. just watch how the women play. 
  • edited March 2017
    I don't think it is even a debate as to whether women can play poker just as well as men. I have played some thoroughly brilliant female poker players. As to why there is a low percentage of women playing poker...

I think you have to look at the history of the game and social attitudes. When poker became popular many decades ago it was associated with seedy backrooms in bars, not regulated properly plus violence and crime were often associated with the game. Aside from this, many of the establishments would be 'men only'. For these reasons, and others, social attitudes percieved poker as a male endeavour, perhaps understandably, as it was literally at the time an almost exclusively male persuit.

Social attitudes can be persistent and even nowadays if a male tells someone unfamiliar with the game that they play poker there can often be strange glances. People who think a 'royal flush' is some reference to the queen's toileting habits often have social attitudes more in keeping with the 1900's than the realities of the modern game. Either that or they often think you are some kind of degenerate gambler who will likely lose their house on a coinflip one day and take up residence in cardboard city and turn to a life of drug use. These uneducated and outdated attitudes can often surface with even more derision if it is a female speaking of their poker exploits, hence the low turnout.

A public relations initiative that highlights what modern poker in general is actually like for everyone including women would probably very slowly start to redress the balance.

So I would obviously be in favour of women only poker tourneys then right?

Well, no! Positive discrimination is still discrimination. I read a BBC article today highlighting the unequal numbers of women in board positions in UK sports. The 'article' mentioned that some could lose their funding as they are not meeting the quota of 30% inclusion of women in such rolls and then duely held up women's netball as a shining barometer of diversity as it had a board comprised of 90% females. So a board filled with 70%+ of one gender is discrimination but a board with 90%+ of another gender is 'diversity'?

The answer in my opinion is not by changing laws or policy. There is nothing barring women from participation currently, the thing that needs to change is social attitudes. Welcoming women more openly to the game, maybe introduce some promos with prizes that women would traditionally be more interested in, and maybe portray the game in a more gender neutral way etc.

This is very much in the interests of the industry, which to varying degrees is finding the market more challenging, to lead the way. There is a massive market out there (roughly 50% of the population) that is not being tapped into properly.

So yes, women can most certainly IMO play poker just as well as men but I really do not see a need for 'women only' tourneys. Just promote the game in a manner that encourages more equal participation from men and women alike and leaves a lot of the old stereotypes from the past, in the past.

As to a tip for women to watch out for in this years WSOP... I would go for Sofia Lovgren, came very close to some huge results last year, is fearless and if she doesn't smash the WSOP this year she will undoubtedly be sitting in Sands poker room at Venetian (she will be the lovely young lady peering out from behind a massive tower of chips).
  • edited March 2017
    Oh! yes  Poker nothing to them ...... they can also run Countries.?   But they can't stop galloping Horses.
  • edited March 2017
    I find this post repulsive.
  • edited March 2017
    Women can play poker whilst doing the ironing and cooking tea.......allegedly
  • edited March 2017

It would be great if more women played poker :)
  • edited March 2017
    Women can play poker, just men outperform women at it.

Nature dictates a lot in life, certain activities are dominated by certain demographics. Even though the PC brigade cant stand this.

I predict this year that:

The WSOP Main event will be won by a white Male.
    The Worlds fastest person will be a black Male.
    The Worlds strongest person will be a white Male.

Are the cards/running track/weights racist/sexist? The answer is of course NO. It is just nature.

Anyone who disagrees I am happy for a prop bet.

As for stopping someone playing a Poker tournament because of their gender. The word that springs to mind is Evil, may be a bit strong, but I just cant stand discrimination.
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Women can't play poker.:
    Women can play poker, just men outperform women at it. Nature dictates a lot in life, certain activities are dominated by certain demographics. Even though the PC brigade cant stand this. I predict this year that: The WSOP Main event will be won by a white Male. The Worlds fastest person will be a black Male. The Worlds strongest person will be a white Male. Are the cards/running track/weights racist/sexist? The answer is of course NO. It is just nature. Anyone who disagrees I am happy for a prop bet. As for stopping someone playing a Poker tournament because of their gender. The word that springs to mind is Evil, may be a bit strong, but I just cant stand discrimination.
    Posted by ajs4385
    I agree with parts of that but I personally think some of it misses the point.

As to men being faster, stronger - that is true but based upon biology. It doesn't matter what way anyone wants to cut it, there is irefutable evidence that males on average have around 10% more body mass than females. It is therefore obvious that males will usually be faster and stronger.

I am sure there are stories about someones cousin's best friends aunt who can drink all the men under the table and bench press a car, nevertheless the 'average' female has roughly 10% less body mass.

As to a white male winning the WSOP - well with only 6% of the field being female that is a statment of pure probability, not ability. Not sure what the black/white figures are but these points are not based on biology or ability, just the fact there are more males taking part. 

Unless you are suggesting of course that females are in some way cognitively challenged with regards to poker when compared to males? There are differences between the male and female brains but none that I am aware of that would make a woman less likely to win the main event than a male if the field was 50% male 50% female. 
  • edited March 2017
    Women can play poker, just men outperform women at it. Nature dictates a lot in life, certain activities are dominated by certain demographics. Even though the PC brigade cant stand this. I predict this year that: The WSOP Main event will be won by a white Male. The Worlds fastest person will be a black Male. The Worlds strongest person will be a white Male. Are the cards/running track/weights racist/sexist? The answer is of course NO. It is just nature. Anyone who disagrees I am happy for a prop bet. As for stopping someone playing a Poker tournament because of their gender. The word that springs to mind is Evil, may be a bit strong, but I just cant stand discrimination.
    Posted by ajs4385

is it because the 5 minute synchronised breaks aren't long enough to allow for ironing and cooking?

• edited March 2017
    Such a dodgy subject to discuss without causing offence lol but...

Dont have really any hard facts to back up my claim, although something tells me i have read it somewhere, but on average are men not better at maths than females which would maybe have an impact?!

There could be "softer" elements at play too. When it comes to emotion/body language it could be said women are more open/expressive than men....give away more tells?

Also women tend to be caring than men on average, would a lack of ruthlessness have an impact?

For the record im not suggesting women cant play poker but maybe there are elements, whether through nuture or nature, that gives a slight advantage to average joe vs average josephine

• edited March 2017
    Such a dodgy subject to discuss without causing offence lol but... Dont have really any hard facts to back up my claim, although something tells me i have read it somewhere, but on average are men not better at maths than females which would maybe have an impact?! There could be "softer" elements at play too. When it comes to emotion/body language it could be said women are more open/expressive than men....give away more tells? Also women tend to be caring than men on average, would a lack of ruthlessness have an impact? For the record im not suggesting women cant play poker but maybe there are elements, whether through nuture or nature, that gives a slight advantage to average joe vs average josephine
    Posted by jdsallstar
    There definitely are differences when male and female brains are compared. The neural pathways have a high degree of plasticity in so much as certain behaviours result in certain neural pathways being encouraged and established based upon our behaviour. The debate then transfers to whether there are genetic underpinnings for this or is this is simply due to society encouraging certain behaviours in males/females and therefore encouraging the development of certain neural pathways in males/females (for example to do with arithmetic).

Even if the complete stereotypes hold true though, and whatever their cause if they do exist, who is to say that a more cautious approach (thinking about female driving stereotypes) would not outweigh a slightly reduced arithmetical ability (considering the example you gave). There are so many other stereotypes that would need to be considered and my personal opinion would be that...

Some of the stereotypes will by myth, some will be fact, but in my opinion it will basically amount to a roughly equal list of pros and cons that show males and females would have roughly the same inherent ability to play poker skillfully.
  • edited March 2017
    vanessa selbst 1 of the aggresive poker players there is and 1 of the best still her attitude stinks 
  • edited March 2017

Nat Bromley. Title is fact. I rest my case. Next.
  • edited March 2017
    As you say some of the stereotypes will be myth and some will be fact and then some of these will also be hard to argue if they are a pro or con in regards to ability and how good a player is.

All apart from maths, it's not a myth and is factual that on average men are better at maths  than women and I think it would be hard to argue that ability in maths is not a major advantage for a poker player. The rest is pretty subjective.
  • edited March 2017
    Lots of great posts, including Marks which I agree with.

Perhaps Im wrong but I do think women in general tend to be less risk takers than men. Women tend to look for stability. Obviously there are exceptions but perhaps the risk element of poker appeals more to men than women because of these traits that we have inherited.

Ger
  • edited March 2017

Well, rather interesting some good bits and the usual male prejudices.  Well being an average player some good results over the years but I feel that women play less because they cannot put in the time it needs, and dedication on the lower levels.  Just reply to a few of the above remarks, yes we do multi task better, and you would be surprised at what can be achieved in the five minute breaks.  I would like to list a few good women poker players on here such as, roguecell, sharksbite bromley23 and irishrose. Oh and just a little fact small tourney last night 29 males one female and female won.

• edited March 2017
    Im curious now why you think women have less time than men to play poker?
  • edited March 2017
    Lots of great posts, including Marks which I agree with. Perhaps Im wrong but I do think women in general tend to be less risk takers than men. Women tend to look for stability. Obviously there are exceptions but perhaps the risk element of poker appeals more to men than women because of these traits that we have inherited. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    Id have thought the opposite ger, gives them a chance to express themselves on a level playing field.( if they feel the need to  )
    Is the op missing the words , well or badly?

• edited March 2017
    I've just posted a blog about this very thing.

I think it can be argued that women actually have advantages over men in certain instances where men try to overcompensate.

Prejudices in this instance can be used as an advantage as Poker requires us to mislead our opponents.  If our opponents are already misled, thats half the battle.

• edited March 2017
    Im curious now why you think women have less time than men to play poker?
    Posted by gerardirl
    Soaps
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Women can't play poker. : Soaps
    Posted by VespaPX
    I thought it maybe catching up on the DIY?
  • edited March 2017
    Well my point Chill is that I dont think its anything to do with ability, I just think risk taking activities, like playing poker, or gambling in general is simply less appealing to women.
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Women can't play poker. : Soaps
    Posted by VespaPX
    Ha, the reason I ask is my a very good female friend of mine used to always say she doesnt have the time to do things. Im pretty sure we have the same amount of seconds in a day, male or female :).
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Women can't play poker. : Ha, the reason I ask is my a very good female friend of mine used to always say she doesnt have the time to do things. Im pretty sure we have the same amount of seconds in a day, male or female :).
    Posted by gerardirl
    When men have done a days work they think they are finished women are planning all the time for a smooth running of the family life, which in my opinion men don't do. Actually its a fact unless the man in question does more of a female role in the home.
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Women can't play poker. : Ha, the reason I ask is my a very good female friend of mine used to always say she doesnt have the time to do things. Im pretty sure we have the same amount of seconds in a day, male or female :).
    Posted by gerardirl
    Maybe they can cut out the expense on hairdressers and beauty products each month, then they would have a tidy br
    Ooo, im waiting. Im ill so take it easy
  • edited March 2017
    In Response to Re: Women can't play poker. : When men have done a days work they think they are finished women are planning all the time for a smooth running of the family life, which in my opinion men don't do. Actually its a fact unless the man in question does more of a female role in the home.
    Posted by karlluke
    Yep so we are saying the same thing, other things are more appealing to women.
  • edited March 2017
    not sure if you can post outside links on here so i wont but i remember reading a long time ago ( 4-5 years) that a certain poker pro dressed as a women to play in a ladies event and won even tho he was male.

of course women can play poker they are exremely good liars ;).

i dont agree at all in women only events, if men did that there would be outrage. men only wsop, womens lib would be all over that like a shot.

plus ive also read that female poker pro likes the edge they get over men that they wouldnt get over women. dont think low cut tops would work in female only torns.
  • edited March 2017
    Well, rather interesting some good bits and the usual male prejudices.  Well being an average player some good results over the years but I feel that women play less because they cannot put in the time it needs, and dedication on the lower levels.  Just reply to a few of the above remarks, yes we do multi task better, and you would be surprised at what can be achieved in the five minute breaks.  I would like to list a few good women poker players on here such as, roguecell, sharksbite bromley23 and irishrose. Oh and just a little fact small tourney last night 29 males one female and female won.
    Posted by karlluke
    Just to clarify, my post was purely tongue in cheek. I live with my missus and 2 girls so if I was even a tiny bit sexist then I would be strung up by my knackers.

There are some fantastic female players both on the live scene and here on sky, including your fine self who bosses bounty hunters for fun.

I did have a longer post planned but I've got to go and check that my missus has washed the pots before I get her started on the ironing.