You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

'Stay or Go' Style hand breakdown of a £5.50 PLO8 BH MTT - 18th 'interesting spot' (hand 109) -

edited May 2017 in Poker Chat
Nice one Dave, I am hoping this will rekindle my interest, I really enjoy OH8 but lately I have fallen out with it, consequently I am playing terribly when I do venture back from time to time.

Comments

• edited May 2017
    I finally have a little time to do this thread which I mentioned in my blog thread.

'StayorGo' aka Graham's similar thread from a live tourney was IMO one of the threads of the year. Obviously not everyone is playing big live games though so I thought I would do a similar thread but with the £5.50 PLO8 BH's MTT's. These games are relatively new so hopefully if there is some good discussion it can serve as a reference point to anyone thinking of trying the games.

I won't cover the basics of how to play the game so if anyone is in the position mentioned above and completely new to the game here is a link to the 
    Sky poker Academy page explaining the basics.

I played 2 of these Pot Limit Omaha 8 Bounty Hunter tourneys on Thursday night to try and get a couple of hand histories which would be suitable for such a thread.

I finished 2nd in the first tourney and was going to use that. I also finished 2nd in the later tourney though and rather than select 1 of them I will just do both one after the other in this thread. They are small field sizes so collectively the number of hands should still only add up to the equivalent of a small/medium NLHE tourney hand history.

While I kick this off today I will go through both full hand histories on my laptop and edit the player names out etc so they can be copy/pasted and I have a record of them all in case they disappear from the Sky archives halfway through. 

I will briefly mention, but quickly move on from, any 'trivial hands' so that any players who are not familiar with the game can get an idea about hand selection etc.

Hands that have more interesting dynamics I will post the situation and allow some time (maybe 24 hours?) for feedback.

It would be great to have input from players of all levels.

Feel free to criticise, I know there are mistakes at points in my play (especially in the first MTT as I was playing a $160 buy in NLHE game on another site during that game which was taking most of my focus).

As mentioned I will edit all player names out, if you are happy to have your name left in just let me know and I won't edit it out.

Lastly, some may think... Why the hell would you do such a thread and leave your game wide open for all to see? This is a fair question but this is something I am happy to do for several reasons. Just a selection of these are... (a) The games are relatively new so if it can attract even just a few new people to the games then that is great! (b) If people participate in the thread then we all learn through the discussion (c) These games won't be the focus of my play going forward. (d) I try to react to what my opponents do at the tables so if everyone is suddenly making 'soul reads' on me after this thread because I 'play a certain way', I would like to think I can adapt my play. (e) Many people will obviously not read the thread.

Any ideas to improve the format of the thread just let me know and if it isn't overly time consuming I will try and incorporate them.

I will make a post straight after this about our general approach to the games and the swiftly post the first hand.
  • edited April 2017
    General approach to these games:

They are Bounty Hunter games so we are obviously trying to gather as many bounties as possible right?

Well, no! While the bounties matter I personally feel the focus should be almost but not entirely taken away from the 'Bounty Hunting' aspect. The PLO8 format is less developed than NLHE and is more complex. There is therefore much more room for players to make errors so I feel it is beneficial to take an approach which looks to gather chips rather than take, at times needless risks, to snag a bounty. If these games are played in a manner that simply aims to accrue chips then the bounties tend to come to you regardless.

With that said, if there is an obvious opportunity with an acceptable level of risk to try and collect a bounty then we will obviously go for it. For example if it folds to us in the SB and the BB has 500 chips and we have a 10,000 stack and a mediocre hand we are going to get it in and try and snag the bounty. Conversely if we are at the early stages with a 3000 stack at 15-30, are in mid position (MP) with a mediocre but 'semi-playable' hand, and someone has potted before us and we have players to act afterwards... We are not going to be calling just because a BB may only have 400 chips. We do not know what the players to act after us may do and they may well reraise to try and isolate the short stack and before we know it we get dragged into pots we should not really be in and often end up heading for an early bath.

So instead we will try and focus on punishing plays from players who may be making equity mistakes by overly focusing on collecting bounties themselves.

If however we end up with a monster stack then we will at least be prepared to change gears and go after more than our fair share of bounties
  • edited April 2017
    Hand 1:

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

SB

Small blind

BB

Big blind

Your hole cards

·         QC

·         3S

·         7C

·         8S

UTG

Call

Hijack

Call

markycash

Okay, this hand falls into the trivial category so we won't spend too much time on it. It is however a hand that can cause new players to the game some problems so we can briefly mention it and as always comments from everyone are welcome. Completely relying upon people getting involved to make the thread worthwhile.

We have Qc 3s 7c 8s in the Cut-off position. So we have a double suited hand that shoots for both the high and low pots and are potentially in position post flop if the BTN folds. We do not however want to go near this hand (especially at this stage of the tourney). None of our draws are for nut elements of the hand rankings and our potential low draws are very weak. If we do go with these hands, generally speaking, most of the hands that should be willing to get lots of chips in with us will in fact be beating us or at least splitting the pot so we shouldn't have much to gain but could lose a lot. Also, even if we flop the Q high flush with a low... We are going to have trouble extracting much value from the hand. We will have to tread carefully because as mentioned, loads of hands that will be willing to give us action will be beating us. Sure we could flop QQ8 or 333 etc but this is not going to happen often enough to justify putting chips in the pot here.

We can find better spots and therefore are moving on to hand 2...
  • edited April 2017
    I will keep flicking through these 'trivial hands' until I come to one we play so that there is an idea of what I am folding to give a better picture of the hand selection being used. I will pause when we get to one we play and allow time for input.

Hand 2:

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

SB

Small blind

BB

Big blind

Your hole cards

·         Js

·         4d

·         Jc

·         10s

UTG

Call

markycash

Fold

Trivial fold this one. We are in early position, have no nut draws and no low orientation to the hand.

On to hand 3...
  • edited April 2017
    Hand 3:
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    SBSmall blind 15.0015.004945.00
    BBBig blind 30.0045.002895.00
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

markycashFold
    This one is a bit more close. We are double suited with 6c Ad Kc 6d, have nut draws and a low orientation to the hand. We are however UTG and the low orientation is not ideal. If we limp or raise we do not know what we are getting into if we face action from other players. If we limp for example and we get an almost perfect scenario with a 234 all diamond flop and are 3 or 4 way. If players stick around we are possibly/probably chopping to begin with as they could well have the wheel. If the board pairs then we could end up with a brilliant looking hand that is actually being scooped which we feel we need to call off with.

Definitely closer but at this stage of the tourney I don't feel there is a pressing need to get involved here from UTG so we move to hand 4...
  • edited April 2017
    Hand 4:We have our first interesting spot and I will pause after this and hopefully we can get a few opinions on how to proceed.

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

SB

Small blind

markycash

Big blind

Your hole cards

·         5h

·         2d

·         3d

·         3s

UTG

Raise

UTG+1

Fold

Cut-off

Call

BTN

Call

SB

Call

markycash

Call

Flop

·         4h

·         6d

·         2c

SB

Check

markycash

Check

UTG

Check

Cut-off

Check

BTN

Bet

SB

Fold

markycash

Call

UTG

Call

Cut-off

Call

Turn

·         8c

markycash

Check

UTG

Check

Cut-off

Bet

BTN

Call

markycash

What now?

We move to our first meaningful pot. We have 5h 2d 3d 3s in the BB. It is raised to 90 by UTG and 3 players call and action is on us. We elect to call as there are a fair few chips in the middle, we are partly invested so only 60 chips to call, and while our high orientation is not good we have decent low orientation. With so many callers, and considering usual calling ranges, there is an argument for folding preflop as many of the aces (which we would ideally like to see on the flop with a couple of other low cards) may be held by our opponents. I feel we are priced in though and can get off it if we have to so we call and see a flop of 4h 6d 2c.

So we have flopped the nuts, woohoo! But wait, we have 4 other players on this flop and if they show interest they probably have A3 or A5 type hands and could be 'freerolling' on us so we need to show some caution, at least until we figure out where we are. If an ace falls it would give us the nut low A-5 wheel but as mentioned, with so many callers, our opponents are probably holding the aces making this unlikely.

Action folds around to the BTN who bets half the pot (225), we call to control the pot and 2 other players call behind. 4 way we see a flop of 8c, UTG checks, we check, and this time the cut-off bets 600 and the BTN calls and action is on us with a player to act behind. The turn fills some higher straights and also puts a club draw on the board, the pot is 2550.

So what would you do?

Reads:
     Initial preflop raiser can be aggro. We don't know too much about the other 2 players in the pot.
  • edited April 2017
    I am so looking forward to this, I am average at these PLO8 BH MTT at best and would really like to improve at them.

Thank you for doing this.

Kags
  • edited April 2017
    Hi Mark,
    With 3 other players I think I would be folding early in tournament play.
    In fact I wouldn't have been involved in it in the first place early on.No ace in your hand has given you this dilemma.
    Best scenario would be halve pot.Worst would be nothing.When playing these we want a chance to scoop the pot.
  • edited April 2017
    Just typed a long post and lost it all.

The gist was I would fold pre - If was to be tempted in from BB without an A it would be with a high only or balanced hand with a big pair and preferably suits.

As played it kind of shows why this hand isnt great, we flop the nut high but have almost 0 chance of scooping, our best hope is to be up against 2 wheels to take half of a 3 way pot and there are plenty of worse cases were we take nothing as our hand is so vulnerable for the high or we get pushed off by strong river action after a scare card.

I suppose you dont have much choice but to check/call on the flop but after checking and the 2x600 bets call/fold/pot on the turn all feel bad now. I might check/reraise pot just to take away the tricky decision on the river but calling probably makes more sense.

Most importantly, thank you for starting this thread and I look forward to the rest of it.

• edited April 2017
    Thanks for the positive comments folks.

I would have left this hand for a while to get more replies but to be honest Eon and Phantom have covered most of the points (thanks guys) so there is not point dwelling on it.

My own view which is not really far off of those expressed...

It is a speculative hand, we have no ace and as there are so many callers we are not likely to see and ace on the flop which is partly what we are ideally looking for. In general the 'correct' play is probably a fold. As I was getting good odds to have a look at the flop and as I was confident I could escape many of the disaster situations I called. We can chalk this one up to 'range balancing' ;-).

Anyways, now that we are in the hand we can't reraise the flop even though we have 'the nuts', some people starting out in the game could be caught out here. We know opponents are likely to have aces with low cards and hands like A35, which are quartering us, are a distinct possibility with so many players seeing the flop.

Even against A3 or A5 we are only currently chopping the pot. I don't really want to fold here either until I see what the turn is and how the players react. With the 8 on the turn a lot of better straights than us just got there. A different player leads which often means they have hit a different part of the board (the higher straight). So we fold. I am happy to fold here because the caveat of calling preflop was that we were going to get away from dodgy situations, of which this is one. Definitely a +EV fold in the long run IMO.

Now in the end the player who leads the turn had 2 pair and no low (their turn bet made no sense) and the other player had 2nd nut low. We would have split the pot but we are still happy with the fold here as most of the time I think we are dead in the water to this kind of action.

We now know though that this table is super loose and we can try to extract more value from hands going forward.

Will paste the full hand below then move onto the next hand...

<td style="border-style:none solid soli

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

SB

Small blind

markycash

Big blind

Your hole cards

·         5h

·         2d

·         3d

·         3c

UTG

Raise

UTG+1

Fold

Cut-off

Call

BTN

Call

SB

Call

markycash

Call

Flop

·         4h

·         6d

·         2c

SB

Check

markycash

Check

UTG

Check

Cut-off

Check

BTN

Bet

SB

Fold

markycash

Call

UTG

Call

Cut-off

Call

Turn

·         8c

markycash

Check

UTG

Check

Cut-off

Bet

BTN

Call

markycash

Fold

UTG

Fold

River

·         6h

Cut-off

All-in

BTN

Call

Cut-off

Show

·         Kh

·         Ks

·         8h

·         2h

• edited April 2017
    In hand 5 we get 33TJ in the SB and someone pots it from mid position preflop. We have an easy fold.

Hand 6:

SB

Small blind

BB

Big blind

Your hole cards

·         10s

·         4h

·         5s

·         3d

UTG

Raise

CO

Call

markycash

Call

SB

Call

BB

Call

Flop

·         9d

·         3c

·         6h

SB

Check

BB

Check

UTG

Check

CO

Check

markycash

Check

Turn

·         2d

SB

Check

BB

Check

UTG

Check

CO

Check

markycash

???

We are on the button with Ts 4h 5s 3d. UTG has miniraised which we have seen them do often. We have an even more speculative holding than the last hand but we have just seen how liberal the table can be with their chips post flop and we have position on everyone we we flick the 60 chips in. Once again, we will be hoping to escape any bad spots.

The flop is 936 rainbow and gives us an open ender and a low draw we are not overly chuffed about. If there is strong action on the flop we probably just go away. It checks around though and the turn bring the
    2d which puts a diamond draw on board and makes some lows but it also makes our straight. Again, as with the flop, there appears to be no interest from the other 4 players in the hand and they check around to me. The pot is 300 and blinds are 15-30. 

So how do we proceed?
  • edited April 2017
    Keep it relatively small, keep diamond draws in, it likely someone has a lo that you wont be able to push out anyway so you dont want to chase away the value and chop. 

If someone comes back over the top then you need to re-evaluate.

Obviously you have to ca canny and be wary of the flush on the river and you could also be getting freerolled by someone with a stronger low and your str8(however given flop and turn action thats unlikelyas)
  • edited April 2017

This is a great read Mark, well done to you, & to all those who responded.

It's getting me a bit itchy to start playing again, too. ;) 
  • edited April 2017

"....Now in the end the player who leads the turn had 2 pair and no low (their turn bet made no sense)....."

Isn't that THE weirdest thing, when folks do stuff like that with 2 pair & no low?

Seriously, one of the biggest problems I have with this game is giving (some) players too much respect. I'd be folding to strength here, as you did (correctly imo) but then we see our man has turned up with a bag of pork scratchings & it's pretty frustrating.  
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: 'Stay or Go' Style hand breakdown of a £5.50 PLO8 BH MTT - Input from players of all levels is very welcome! 2nd 'interesting spot' (hand 6), WWYD?:
    This is a great read Mark, well done to you, & to all those who responded. It's getting me a bit itchy to start playing again, too. ;) 
    Posted by Tikay10
    Look forward to our battles commencing again Mr T
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: 'Stay or Go' Style hand breakdown of a £5.50 PLO8 BH MTT - Input from players of all levels is very welcome! 2nd 'interesting spot' (hand 6), WWYD?:
    In hand 5 we get 33TJ in the SB and someone pots it from mid position preflop. We have an easy fold. Hand 6 : SB Small blind   15.00 15.00 1170.00 BB Big blind   30.00 45.00 2670.00   Your hole cards ·          10s ·          4h ·          5s ·          3d       UTG Raise   60.00 105.00 5320.00 CO Call   60.00 165.00 5820.00 markycash Call   60.00 225.00 2610.00 SB Call   45.00 270.00 1125.00 BB Call   30.00 300.00 2640.00 Flop     ·          9d ·          3c ·          6h       SB Check         BB Check         UTG Check         CO Check         markycash Check         Turn     ·          2d       SB Check         BB Check         UTG Check         CO Check         markycash ???         We are on the button with Ts 4h 5s 3d . UTG has miniraised which we have seen them do often. We have an even more speculative holding than the last hand but  we have just seen how liberal the table can be with their chips post flop and we have position on everyone we we flick the 60 chips in. Once again, we will be hoping not to escape any bad spots. The flop is 936 rainbow and gives us an open ender and a low draw we are not overly chuffed about. If there is strong action on the flop we probably just go away. It checks around though and the turn bring the 2d which puts a diamond draw on board and makes some lows but it also makes our straight. Again, as with the flop, there appears to be no interest from the other 4 players in the hand and they check around to me. The pot is 300 and blinds are 15-30.  So how do we proceed?
    Posted by markycash
    You see this is 7th level thinking!

Great thread Mark I shall be wathcing with interest but probably leave the commenting to those with much better PLO8 games than me.
  • edited April 2017
    Half pot bet will let you know,don't like giving players free cards.
    A call could mean chasing flush.
    A raise could be nut low,which we would just flat.
    If no diamond,7,8 or 10 on river you go to war.
  • edited April 2017
    This is a great read Mark, well done to you, & to all those who responded. It's getting me a bit itchy to start playing again, too. ;) 
    Posted by Tikay10
    Cheers Mr T! Will be great to get a game with you again when you decide to return to the games :) 
  • edited April 2017
    "....Now in the end the player who leads the turn had 2 pair and no low (their turn bet made no sense)....." Isn't that THE weirdest thing, when folks do stuff like that with 2 pair & no low? Seriously, one of the biggest problems I have with this game is giving (some) players too much respect. I'd be folding to strength here, as you did (correctly imo) but then we see our man has turned up with a bag of pork scratchings & it's pretty frustrating.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Couldn't agree more. I tried to take solace in the fact this meant the table was loose and I could hopefully get more value out of future hands.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: 'Stay or Go' Style hand breakdown of a £5.50 PLO8 BH MTT - Input from players of all levels is very welcome! 2nd 'interesting spot' (hand 6), WWYD? : You see this is 7th level thinking! Great thread Mark I shall be wathcing with interest but probably leave the commenting to those with much better PLO8 games than me.
    Posted by Enut
    Lol Enut, thanks for pointing that 1 out :D

Would be brilliant to hear your thoughts too! We always seem to have some interesting tussles when we play.
  • edited April 2017
    Thanks to Paul ;) and Eon for giving their thoughts on the hand 6!

I definitely see the merits of the points raised and they may well be more optimal lines than I took.

Being in position just made all the difference in this hand. I would have had to be far more cautious if I had been OOP. As it was there seemed to be so little interest in the pot that I thought my low could possibly be good on its own apart from having the straight for the high element of the pot.

In hand 4 we were shown just how loose the table could be though, even on scary boards. I decided that if the river was a scary card for us then we may have to check behind (assuming they check to the raiser on the river). Therefore just now, on the turn, may be the time to seek our value. With opponents calling ranges seeming wide and the possibility we are scooping I decide to go for maximum value and simply pot it for 300. We get 2 callers and the river is the Ad. 

Both players who called the turn check to us on the river. I do not feel this is a 'proper scare card' due to the way the hand has unfolded. We do not have the flush sure, but we have a well disguised wheel and 1 of the players is very aggro so I feel if he had a wheel we would have hear all about it. Again as the table has been calling liberally and also as we want to put flush draws to a hard decision in order to get their split, I pot again on the river for 1200. I think there is as much chance of a bad low calling as a flush and every chance we can get paid.

They both fold though and we at least collect some chips.

In hindsight a lower bet sizing may have been more optimal on the river, I am not sure if that is being results orientated though.

Thanks for getting involved folks! Really makes all the difference :)

I will go get breakfast and post some hands until we get to our next interesting spot and then pause again for comments.

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

SB

Small blind

BB

Big blind

Your hole cards

·         10s

·         4h

·         5s

·         3d

UTG

Raise

CO

Call

markycash

Call

SB

Call

BB

Call

Flop

·         9d

·         3c

·         6h

SB

Check

BB

Check

UTG

Check

CO

Check

markycash

Check

Turn

·         2d

SB

Check

BB

Check

UTG

Check

CO

Check

markycash

Bet

SB

Call

BB

Fold

UTG

Fold

botneck

Call

River

·         Ad

SB

Check

CO

Check

markycash

Bet

SB

Fold

CO

Fold

markycash

Muck

markycash

Win

<span

• edited April 2017
    Hand # 7:

Hand starting stack: 3,510

Situation: We are UTG+1 with As 8h 3c Qs @ the 20-40 blind level. We have a decent hand with nut possibilities for both high and low pots. UTG limps and as we are in early position we just limp in to keep a bit of control on things, especially as the table seems quite aggro and unpredictable. Also if we open raise and people call, it can be harder to tell if they are peeling with marginal hands or if they have a real hand. If we limp and aggro players just limp in behind then it makes it less likely (although still possible) that they have A2 type hands as they may raise with these. On the other hand, if we open raise, then even aggro players may still just flat call with their A2xx hands as they may be worried we have either a stronger A2xx hand or a AAxx type hand. Therefore we allow them to define their hands a little more when we limp here which means we can often play our lows with a little bit more confidence on later streets.

Play folds preflop around to the BB who checks and we see the flop of 6h 2s Qd. Now UTG is one of the most aggressive players who plays these games and it is no surprise to see him spring into action with a pot bet of 140. We could raise here but if we do there is every chance we are playing for stacks and as we are 86 BB's deep I would like to see what happens on later streets first and have a little more info before we get involved for that amount of equity, the flat call does also under rep our hand. We also do not really mind the player behind us coming along as if we make our low we have a hand that can often be quartering. We therefore just flat call.

The player behind folds and we see a turn of Ks. Our opponent fires a pot size bet of 420 again. The turn is good and bad for us. We now have a nut flush and a nut low draw but at the end of the day these are just draws, we only have 2nd top pair and even a raggy king is currently scooping us. Our opponent does play this way with a wide range of cards and a lot of this range will pay us off handsomely if we hit so there are good implied odds and we are still snap calling. Added to that we have position in the hand.

The river is the Ad as I think it was in the previous hand too. We have missed our nut draws and probably missed the chance of a big payday. We now have 2 pair and a pretty bad low hand. No surprise that our opponent throws a bet of 630 out there. So once again, what do we do?

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

SB

Small blind

BB

Big blind

Your hole cards

·         As

·         8h

·         3c

·         Qs

UTG

Call

markycash

Call

CO

Fold

SB

Fold

BB

Check

Flop

·         6h

·         2s

·         Qd

BB

Check

UTG

Bet

markycash

Call

BB

Fold

Turn

·         Ks

UTG

Bet

markycash

Call

River

·         Ad

UTG

Bet

markycash

???

• edited April 2017
    As played I think I'm preserving my stack and looking for a better position.
    If he is as aggro as you say just wait until you have it locked up and let him bet into you.
  • edited April 2017
    in 1st  intresting  hand  i  may  have  just  jammed  hoping  to get  1 of  them  to  fold.  would  expect  to half the  pot  at  best 
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: 'Stay or Go' Style hand breakdown of a £5.50 PLO8 BH MTT - Input from players of all levels is very welcome! 3rd 'interesting spot' (hand 7), WWYD?:
    in 1st  intresting  hand  i  may  have  just  jammed  hoping  to get  1 of  them  to  fold.  would  expect  to half the  pot  at  best 
    Posted by UrABawBag2
    Definitely is an option Mick and is something I would do at times.

Personally I didn't feel this hand was suitable though as just 1 player could be quartering us on the flop or turn. Also by the time we get to the turn I personally think that in general someone has the better straight and is calling and someone has the better low and is calling and if we try this we go bust on that board texture. Obviously we would have been fine in that example and you would have snagged a nice increase to your stack but I think generally to that action on that board texture would be headed for an early bath if we done this.

I won't comment on the latest hand until more people have a chance to weigh in with comments.
  • edited April 2017
    Hand 7

I am a bit of a noob at the 4 card nonsense, but I would be calling all day here. You have 2 average hands-2 pair and an 8 low. Against some players this would be a fold, but not v a very aggressive one. You only have to win 1 of the 2 hands more than 50% of the time to make this a call. Aggressor will often have 1 nut hand, but unless he has all 4 cards counting towards high and low he is usually only winning one. So it is a call against (say) AJ103. I would be far more worried if he had bet small on the turn and big here.
  • edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: 'Stay or Go' Style hand breakdown of a £5.50 PLO8 BH MTT - Input from players of all levels is very welcome! 3rd 'interesting spot' (hand 7), WWYD?:
    As played I think I'm preserving my stack and looking for a better position. If he is as aggro as you say just wait until you have it locked up and let him bet into you.
    Posted by eon1961

+1  to eons  comments aggro player  limps in pre  could  have 34qq 34kk type hands  dont  put  him on  a  acexxx hand.

reluctant  fold for  me.

• edited April 2017
    Great to have so many opinions and differing ones at that. Thanks for contributing all :)

My own take on the hand...

It is completely valid to say we are probably only calling here to win half the pot, so fold. I know we technically have a 2 way hand but it is unlikely we are scooping. I think against other players I have more of a decision to make here.

As it was I called pretty quickly againt this player. I am not trying to spite call the player but if he is going to be continually aggressive like this (which he is) and make drawing so expensive then we have to be able to make some thin reads so we do not get steam-rollered every time we meet players like this. We also have some of our chips out there in the middle.

I think his range is full mostly of hands we chop against. If he had a34x then I feel he would probably have raised preflop and his betting did not look like 34 and even in these scenarios we still chop the pot most of the time. I think this makes it questionable if he has much/any low orientation to his hand. As played he hasn't been representing a TJ hand either. I think it is more likely he has a lot of dry sets he has tried to blast us out of the pots with or make us pay the max to draw to our low, I would also say there are a lot of 2 pair combos in his range (most of which we beat).

Anyways we do chop the pot and he had a completely dry bottom set and no low.

I did actually consider pot reraising here as I thought we were probably chopping and doubted he had TJ so thought about putting him in a sticky spot with a tough decision to make. I mean even if he has TJ and snaps calls, we will often escape with our low. I decided not to get that creative at this stage though.

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

SB

Small blind

BB

Big blind

Your hole cards

·         As

·         8h

·         3c

·         Qs

UTG

Call

markycash

Call

CO

Fold

SB

Fold

BB

Check

Flop

·         6h

·         2s

·         Qd

BB

Check

UTG

Bet

markycash

Call

BB

Fold

Turn

·         Ks

UTG

Bet

markycash

Call

River

·         Ad

UTG

Bet

markycash

Call

UTG

Show

·         2c

·         4h

·         2h

·         Kd

markycash

Show

·         As

·         8h

·         3c

·         Qs

UTG

Win high

Three 2s

markycash

Win low

8-low

• edited April 2017
    Hand 8: We get K9J7 UTG and fold.

Hand 9: We get A367 in the BB but get little action.

Hand 10: We get 994T in the SB and fold as we do not want to be drawn into the quagmire with such hands at this stage.

In hand 11 we get more creative and I will post this next...
  • edited April 2017
    Hand: 11 

Hand starting stack: 3,600

Situation: We get a bit more creative in this hand.

We have Jh Ah Kc 3c  on the BTN and the player UTG with a 2100 stack opens for the pot (140). The Cut-off calls (with 4,355 chips), the BTN folds and action is on us. so what do we do? Stack sizes and reads start to come heavily into the equation here.

Reads: I think the UTG player had lost a pot recently and had also been quite active. The player flat calling can be pretty aggressive and has a wide enough range that they are not just calling the UTG raiser with premium holdings.

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

SB

Small blind

BB

Big blind

Your hole cards

·         Jh