You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cash players... please resolve this argument for me:

Comments

• edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash players... please resolve this argument for me::
    In Response to Re: Cash players... please resolve this argument for me: : Dont you think that it was too much of a risk though? Is that hand really goon enough, i mean, its sort of well loosable and more gambling than playing the game to me but i'm not saying your wrong.
    Posted by AIRWALKER
    Err i mean good enough lol
  • edited February 2010
    If you dont call when you are well ahead of his range, then someone else on the table will, and I doubt they will be waiting for a hand as big as AJs.  So then, someone else who is playing far better has got his money.  It could be a lot harder to get it off them.  If he busts you, reload and do the same.
  • edited February 2010
    using poker stove: i assigned him the range of any ace, any pair, any king, and pretty much any broadway... with AJs i am 61% favourite to win against this range.
    Take away the 5% rake and thats a long term profitable call imo.
    airwalker... its not about the strength of my hand, its about how it compares to the strength of his range. If i know for a fact he has 72o and shoves... then i will 100% call with 73o because i will be about 70% favourite to win the hand.
  • edited February 2010
    If you dont call when you are well ahead of his range, then someone else on the table will, and I doubt they will be waiting for a hand as big as AJs.  So then, someone else who is playing far better has got his money.  It could be a lot harder to get it off them.  If he busts you, reload and do the same.
    Posted by OMahonyO
    He sucked out 3 times against me lol so i reloaded to the maxium (250BB) to cover him and this is where the decision came up...
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash players... please resolve this argument for me: : Err i mean good enough lol
    Posted by AIRWALKER

if you said to me, this dude yo, he went all in 200x the blind, you haz Ace and a jack and its sooooooted. Wats your move?

I'd ask about the player, if you have no information it's a clear fold. However blackfish has given us his estimation of the range of hands his opponents will shove with. If we assume these assumptions to be correct we can mathematically work out if the play is a winning one or not. We can then adjust the ranges and see the difference in how much of a winning play it is and decide from there where we want our cut off point to be for calling. There are lots of other factors that could sway your decision (like if you know it's his last hand, or you know that he will be there all night etc etc).

I think you said something about it not being 'playing the game' but it is the whole point of the game. We have to make judgements about our opponents and act accordingly.
  • edited February 2010
    Call every single day of the week
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash players... please resolve this argument for me: : if you said to me, this dude yo, he went all in 200x the blind, you haz Ace and a jack and its sooooooted. Wats your move? I'd ask about the player, if you have no information it's a clear fold. However blackfish has given us his estimation of the range of hands his opponents will shove with. If we assume these assumptions to be correct we can mathematically work out if the play is a winning one or not. We can then adjust the ranges and see the difference in how much of a winning play it is and decide from there where we want our cut off point to be for calling. There are lots of other factors that could sway your decision (like if you know it's his last hand, or you know that he will be there all night etc etc). I think you said something about it not being 'playing the game' but it is the whole point of the game. We have to make judgements about our opponents and act accordingly.
    Posted by beaneh
    Thanks for that, i understand what you and blackfish are saying now.

The kind of hands he has been shoving are normally worse than aj so he had a good chance but if he was only shoving with top top cards or high pairs then you would think about it a bit more.......i think

As for playing the game the object with cash is to have more than you started with when you sign out isn't it?

You don't have to get all the cash on a table do you like when you are playing for chips you have to have them all?
  • edited February 2010
    How is this thread 4pages long. Call and enjoy the easy money, people like this don't come along too often.

• edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash players... please resolve this argument for me: :  i think As for playing the game the object with cash is to have more than you started with when you sign out isn't it? You don't have to get all the cash on a table do you like when you are playing for chips you have to have them all?
    Posted by AIRWALKER

When you sit at a cash table, the idea is to get your money in good and let the poker gods do there thing. You cant stop suck outs or influence your result in that way. You have to keep making plays that show a profit period.
  • edited February 2010
    Against a normal player or someone you know nowt about - 100% fold.

Against this clown - 100% call, if he has the goods (even clowns get hands sometimes) so be it. Reload and try again. Most of the time you're in good shape.

Obviously, if it's a tourney, 100% fold.

• edited February 2010
    Call call call call oh and call,after only just reading this thread i cannot believe the amount of nits there are in this poker world.lol

ps hi blackfish mate,pllleeaaassseee tell me you called.dav
  • edited February 2010
    over 200 big blinds infront of you, just forget what cash level you are playing at for 1 second!!!!

this is not a call, lets pretend that they are both sat with 1k each, is it a snap call then? no it is not its an instant fold so cottlad stop making out this is a call, anyone who calls here deserves to lose!!!
  • edited February 2010
    over 200 big blinds infront of you, just forget what cash level you are playing at for 1 second!!!! this is not a call, lets pretend that they are both sat with 1k each, is it a snap call then? no it is not its an instant fold so cottlad stop making out this is a call, anyone who calls here deserves to lose!!!
    Posted by webby234

you're wrong mate.
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash players... please resolve this argument for me: : Made hand v unmade hand?
    Posted by TRIP5
    Made hand has nothing do do with this. A J v's Q 7 is as good as made. he has to hit, you don't - works the same way as 66 v's Q 7 you see, he has to hit - you don't

Your calling this all day long against someone with his table image. I'm going to assume your a tournament player Trip5 as you can't seriously consider folding here against the oppos range
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash players... please resolve this argument for me: : you're wrong mate.
    Posted by beaneh
    no im not its a fold simples
  • edited February 2010
    lol i put it into a poker stove and its a profitable call... i would rather of had 1k infront of me and not just 10 quid because then i would have made even more in the long run. I am over a 60% favourite against his range... easy call for me surely? and quickly before anyone else has the chance to stack him.
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash players... please resolve this argument for me: : im simples
    Posted by webby234

fyp :p
  • edited February 2010
    over 200 big blinds infront of you, just forget what cash level you are playing at for 1 second!!!! this is not a call, lets pretend that they are both sat with 1k each, is it a snap call then? no it is not its an instant fold so cottlad stop making out this is a call, anyone who calls here deserves to lose!!!
    Posted by webby234
    Its the player i am playing here with the info i already have on him,therefore it is a CALL.
  • edited February 2010
    over 200 big blinds infront of you, just forget what cash level you are playingat for 1 second!!!! this is not a call, lets pretend that they are both sat with 1k each,is it a snap call then? no it is not its an instant fold so cottlad stop making out this is a call, anyone who calls here deserves to lose!!!
    Posted by webby234
    Why say forget the level and then put a £1k price tag on it?

The cash is irrelevant - Would i call for £1k - No because £1k would keep my kids in shoes for a year (well almost) so that is a disproportionate amount for me to lose, this is the reason people play within their roll, so they can fully forget the money and just make the decision. Your example only works because you would be scarred to lose £1k.... so lets swap it the other way.... If your both sitting with £1 on 1p blinds do you call AJ then against a guy whos been shoving you with junk and sucking out?????? yes of course you do because your beating his range.

If you were making the call for £1k then £1k is an insignificant amount of money to you (or your an idiot). As the money holds no significance then this purely comes down to if you believe you are ahead of the raisers range. You are and therefore you call....... Simples :)
  • edited February 2010
    It's the 25th hand, he has shoved 10 out of 25... that suggests he is shoving 40% of his range, just to make it clearer... if he has been getting good cards and is in fact only shoving the top 30% of his range then according to poker stove:
    AJs v top 30% of his range = 60.51% v 39.49%

If you take into it the 5% rake then anything over 55% favourite is a profitable call and this is why its a call.
  • edited February 2010
    Posted by webby234
    if you are gonna be playing for £1k then obvs that is within your BRM so it would be just an easy call as if it were for £10.

webby you are so wrong....look at some of the names who have posted call and then look at the games they play.  these aren't guys who mess around on DYMs.
  • edited February 2010

you simplified the call by paying attention to the loose players habits,

i have seen your double up stats you know the game as well as any of the rest 

of the good players on this site,

you will always be in profit the way you play and manage your br,

being a good player is easier ,

then been a good br manager !

• edited February 2010
    Frosty1 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £9.54
    BlackFish3 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £9.90
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • J

liam340 All-in   £8.65 £8.71 £0.00
    von01 Fold        
    STEVOSTEG Fold        
    Her078 Fold        
    Frosty1 Fold        
    BlackFish3 Call   £8.61 £17.32 £1.29
    BlackFish3 Show
    • A
    • J

liam340 Show
    • K

Flop

• K
    • K

Turn

River

• J

liam340 Win Three Kings £16.46   £16.46
  • edited February 2010
    i knew that was coming........................;)
  • edited February 2010
    4 King h e c k mate what a luckbox this guy was.Still you made the correct call and you know it.When did this guy eventually go busto mate.dav
  • edited February 2010
    Strat91 thinks that he would only call here with AA or KK...
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Yes very frustrating situation but i think you only have two options. 1 You leave table and play another game or 2 You call only with big pairs QQ TO AA. Idiot is just there to annoy people
  • edited February 2010
    Ouch, good call though.

Nice to see your computer's still in one piece ;o)

• edited February 2010
    Ouch, good call though. Nice to see your computer's still in one piece ;o)
    Posted by KnackersYa
    PMSL
  • edited February 2010
    4 King h e c k mate what a luckbox this guy was.Still you made the correct call and you know it.When did this guy eventually go busto mate.dav
    Posted by dav1964
    lol he sat out after this... i didnt play anymore poker for the rest of the night... i was glad it was me with the 60% chance of a big pot and no one else though. Im sure he wont be the only maniac i might so hopefully next time ill just take them out.

The important thing is i learnt the sort of calling range i should have when playing against players that shove like 30%-40% of their range... its basically big aces... like A9s+ ATo+ and mid PP, i think it was like 77+ roughly.
  • edited February 2010

Ouch, good call though. Nice to see your computer's still in one piece ;o)
    Posted by KnackersYa
    haha good pic... i just sat in the corner and cried instead.