You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

"Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary"

Comments

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    Bad times yesterday! I'm gonna make excuses obviously....Didn't start till 2pm yesterday, I had to get up early for a delivery, so was running on only 4 hours sleep, 3-30am  till 7-30am.  Was in 2 minds wether or not I should play at all, but I felt 'ok' and thought once I got going I'd be alright.  Played a few tournaments in the afternoon as usual. Just lol-worthy stuff happening in the sky BHs again. Starting tomorrow (or Saturday, depending which day I play) I'm gonna start live updating the 2pm and 2.30 BHs on this thread. I will continue with this until I've got at least to the final 3 in each tournament.  Wouldn't believe some of the stuff that happens in those. Hopefully live updating here might bring a change of fortune.  Got to about 7pm and I was considering calling it a day. Was feeling pretty tired, and wanted to eat and sleep. Had had a few beers though, and thought if I got 6 tabling I could power on through and get at least a few hours in.  Cash started slow, tables were tight and most players were solid. Tried to get some stuff going and get some players to loosen up and make mistakes but nothing seemed to happen. I made a play v some semi-unknown guy who seemed quite tight/passive. I put pressure on his full stack on a TTxxx board, after he had 3bet pre, pretty sure he had an overpair..... He did, but managed to call off for stacks. I had to have a 10 right!!! lol oufhouejfcer After that I started getting abit tilty, playing way too many hands, barrelling too many turns, and worst of all, calling too much! Lost a £60 flip too QQ < AK which could have kickstarted the session but I couldn't see any way I could make anything back with me playing as I was and the tables as they were so just called it a day. Had some food, and fell asleep about 11pm. Woke up at 1pm. 14 hours sleep!!! Don't think I've ever done that before, obv needed it.  Good news is I should be ready for a big Friday session. Bad news is, being a donk off the table has cost me almost all of the profit from the previous session and got me almost even again for the month. Back under pressure again!!!!!!!!!! :( Jan totals.   Profit +£35  Points 558
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Love your diary dohhh and updates good or bad ......but long term if you lose £80 in a session from lack of sleep because you won't pay £5 delivery charge at a sane time of day for groceries or whatever, in the short or long term is baddddddd for profit and sanity. Pay for delivery!, at a time convenient to YOU! Get them to deliver before any multi tabling session,so at least the strongbows and pizzas are ready to open/eat at will!
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Love your diary dohhh and updates good or bad ......but long term if you lose £80 in a session from lack of sleep because you won't pay £5 delivery charge at a sane time of day for groceries or whatever, in the short or long term is baddddddd for profit and sanity. Pay for delivery!, at a time convenient to YOU! Get them to deliver before any multi tabling session,so at least the strongbows and pizzas are ready to open/eat at will!
    Posted by Any2Suited
    Cheerz Dave, nice to see you on the thread. 

Yea Wednesday was a total coque up. Bad off the table decisions costing £££, same old story been doing it for years :( 

Up early again this time on purpose to watch the cricket, been a frustrating morning, tuned in @ 110/0 off 19 overs, and seen the innings go stop/start ever since.

England have so much going their way in ODI/T20 cricket, it's like we've been so close, but so far away for the last 5 years. 

We need someone @ 6/7/8 who is capable of hitting 40 off 20. Don't have to be prolific run scorers, just have to be capable of taking the game away from the opponents.

Afridi/Pollard type player.

Think we have 1 too, in Jos Butler. 

Fed up of Keiswetter now, he's had alot of opportunity and imo if we're going to bat our wicket-keeper @ 6, he shouldn't even be in our top 3 for that role  (Butler, Prior, Bairstow all better options).

Don't think Root is the man to bat 5 either. I'm a massive fan of his, but don't think he's dynamic or powerful enough for limited overs international cricket. He will prob play 75+ test matches though, quality.

Let's go with...

Cook
    Hayles.
    KP.
    Morgan.
    Bell.
    Patel
    Butler

Who would fancy bowling at that top 7!!!!!!!

Anyway, dispite making 300 here, I fear we are still 2nd favourites to win this match. India could knock these off inside 45 overs. Hope I'm wrong.

-----------------

While I'm on a sport rant, might as well comment on the managerial situation @ Donny.

Personally I'm glad to see the back of Dean Saunders. 

Yes we're joint top of the league, somehow, but he doesn't seem to have a clue. Our league position is flattering, and I fear Wolves will end up the same as we did when he came in last season. 

Relegated!

Short term it's probably not the best for us, as things are going well and we're grinding out results, but long term it's a get out of jail free card for us imo.

Potential replacements?

I've not heard him mentioned at all yet, but would love to see Steve Kean given the job!

Bet the Blackburn fans r lolling @ that......

Think there was a massive over-reaction @ Blackburn and actually thought he did quite well in impossible circumstances. 

He also started this season really well with them in the championship. Ofc they sacked him when he was doing well (wtf) and they've hardly won a game since.

Would like to see him given a chance to prove the Blackburn fans wrong, and It would be awesome if he could do that with us! 

He's 50/1 though :(

Some of the names at the top of the betting are quite baffling. Paul Dickov in charge of a struggling Oldham is 16/1 2nd favourite, wtf? 

-----------------

Anyway, looking forward to a good days poker today. Hoping to get that MTT win I've been looking for. 

Maybe it will be in the 2x sky BH's, tune in at 2pm for the first of my 'live tourny updates' lol. Could be eventful.

At least 1 update per hour @ 2-55 and probably more if I have time inbetween breaks. 

------------------

Good luck all pokering and gambling this weekend!

P.S, whilst I've been typing this Samit has smashed 44 off 20!!!!!!!!!!

wow! :D

• edited January 2013
    Hey man.Havent posted on your thread before,so forgive me if this has been already asked.Would like your opinion on the transition from playin hypers and various other speed games to havin a crack at tournies.I assume the faster games are more to your liking,bit like myself.Do you have any problem adapting to a slightly longer format or is it a case of playin your own game whatever the structure.Havin a big problem with tournies atm.Cant seem to get goin if I dont make a good start 1st or 2nd level.Apologies for the waffle man.
    Cheers for any input.
    Paul
  • edited January 2013
    Hey man.Havent posted on your thread before,so forgive me if this has been already asked.Would like your opinion on the transition from playin hypers and various other speed games to havin a crack at tournies.I assume the faster games are more to your liking,bit like myself.Do you have any problem adapting to a slightly longer format or is it a case of playin your own game whatever the structure.Havin a big problem with tournies atm.Cant seem to get goin if I dont make a good start 1st or 2nd level.Apologies for the waffle man. Cheers for any input. Paul
    Posted by bignoise10
    Hey bignoise. 

Is your alias a play on "big nose"? 

That would be more suited to young gun imo. 

The transition from HU sngs to tournaments hasn't been mentioned at all I don't think throughout the thread. 

You're right, when playing tournaments I do much prefer the speed/turbo formats as opposed to the longer freezeouts, which can last 5 hours +.

It's not so much the actual game play I struggle with, coming from a cash background before I started playing sngs, I'm comfortable playing deepstacked poker with lots of bb's and tight players to deal with.

It's more the mental side of concentrating for long periods of time. And also problems handling the varience. 

For example if I enter a 200 runner turbo mtt, and bust on the bubble, it's around 80/90 minutes work for nothing.

If I enter a 200 runner freezeout or deepstack mtt, you're looking at more of a 3 hour grind for the same 'nothing'.

MTTs require great mental strength imo, and anyone who plays them for anything more than recreation deserves high praise, because the ups and downs are insane. You have to maintain a high level of performance every single time and be patient enough for the variance to even out and shine on you, which can often take months. 

It's also easier to stay focussed and concentrate for 2 hours (turbo mtt) than it is for 5+ hours (standard structure mtt). 

Alot of people mistakenly see turbo mtts as bingo poker, where they assume it's just a lottery and very little skill. This ofc is wrong, and it's attittudes like this that make the turbo games very beatable, people play them badly, either because they don't believe there is skill, or they can't be bothered to learn the skills required.

They're very popular all over the big online poker sites, and will continue to become more popular. I think this time next year there will be lots of good turbos on Sky too, they're just starting to put a few in, and as they are supported I'm sure we'll see more.

I can't really give any strategy tips for the mtts you're playing, a good start is nice, but it isn't that big a deal. Just be patient, and learn to play a 20xbb stack properly. Having played you @ alot of HU sngs I'm sure you're already competent here, but if you have half an hour to do some research it's worth just fine tuning your short stacked game. Have to remain patient in the early stages, and just play your cards and the table as best as you can.

You might not be doing anything wrong at all, and just not having things go your way. This is totally normal and the reason that I (and many others) struggle with mtt play. 

It's not neccesserily the challenges on the table that are difficult to overcome, but those off it! 

Hope things turn for you though, just have to keep hoping that 'today is the day!'

------------

fwiw there are better mtt players than me with diaries on the forum. 

I'm sure if you ask Tommyd, garyqqq, patwalshh, all are more experienced than me on standard sky mtts and will be able to give you some specific mtt advice. 

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    Intresting you mention motivation and desire. At what point did you just stop wanting to move up the level and settle for your cash level. I only ask because when I was playing nl4 all I wanted to do was move up and play as high as possible. Just before xmas I was at a point where I was going to play NL50 and just thought, I can't be asked ! So I withdraw a chunk for xmas etc... yes it was a good xmas - thanks. But now I am just going back to nl10 for a little bit. Mainly because I just find the motivation and feel like you say above, my concentration, patience and discpline seem to be falling way short over the last couple of months and I am just not performing to a level I should be. Even though away from the tables I seem to think about poker situations a lot better. My thought process is a lot clearer and concise, while at the tables it seems to not be as sharp just because I am not thinking enough while in the hand. This could be just the boredom of the routine standard poker, which lets face it is 90% of the time your playing poker ) but anyway...sry for slight derail just intrested in your journey as I seem to be at a bit of juncture with poker.
    Posted by rancid

Slow to reply here, apologies Rancid, been a weird few days.

Bolded bit....

No secret to anyone whos been playing on sky regular, or readers here, that I've never really consistantly beat a level above 30nl. 

As I said in my previous post I was once very optimistic about playing poker for alot more than recreation. About 2 years ago, I was in a good position, properly hammering the 30nl level and winning money almost at will. 

Sky was alot softer back then. (yes, even softer than it is now). There were like 2/3 good regs back then, in fact I can name them, ozzie08, scotty77(look at him now), corbett04, and Fins was pretty solid also. 

Then there were good players who would occasionally drop down from 50/40nl, like tommyd. And players who very occasionally played (when I was on), like Dylan12 & ricorambo.

But that's like a handful of players, everyone else was truly awful. It was 'fill your boots time' almost literally, a time to cash in and just build build build your bankroll as much as you liked really. 

That's the line I decided to take, I was already playing 100 buy ins +  when I started 30nl, and towards the end of the 'golden spell' I was playing with maybe 400-500 buy ins (after taking chunks from it at least once/twice per month). 

I remember I once won 3k in a month playing mainly 30nl with bits and bobs of late night 40/50nl thrown in. Older forum members might remember me bragging about this in every other post when I was 'the forum idiot'. Again, abit like idcu is/does now ;)

But, I missed a trick. Even back then I was only averaging 5k points per month. I was still only ever playing every other day, and still only when I was drunk. I was playing alot more though, cash sessions often lasted from 9pm to 7/8am. 

I'm not sure how soft the tables on sky are at 3/4am nowardays, as I pass out after 14 beers, but back then, it was amazing. Like freeplay tables at times. 

Anyway, back to the question, my plan was always long term with poker. Whilst the going was so good @ 30nl I just wanted to build my bankroll as much as I could, so I had the best possible launching pad for when I moved up.

I don't neccesserily regret that, but I do regret not playing more. I got in to the routine of only playing when I was drinking, this probably cost me thousands. Obviously it's a really bad habit, on so many levels. lolol. 

The 2nd mistake was staying at 30nl too long. I spent ages crushing it, building this 'cushion' that I wanted before moving up. But I wasn't improving, I was just playing poor players and not challenging myself. I failed to recognise the right time to properly move up and take on 50nl. All the good books/videos now reccommend an aggressive BRM strategy and advocate shot taking whenever possible, using 'stop losses' etc. 

It's not like I never played 50nl, pretty much crushed it, and occasionally 100nl whenever I had shots. But again this was through the night when the 50nl standard was even worse than the 30nl daytime standard. So again I wasn't challenging myself, and therefore wasn't improving. 

Sooo...

At what point did you just stop wanting to move up the level and settle for your cash level."

After about 9/10 months of grinding and beating 30nl I settled for 30nl as 'my cash level'. Another 6/7 months after that I gave up cash altogether and started playing HU sngs.

Inevitably, got bored of that when I got to £21 buy in games (which I beat comfortably with around a 4% ROI).

At least I took some shots @ £30/40/50 in this format (albeit drunken/tilty ones) and got totally crushed, alas, 9 months after starting, that was the end of that.

Have a real problem 'taking it to the next level' :( 

It's really hard! :P

----------------------

I reckon if you asked 100 people of my age who have been playing poker 5/6 years, what their biggest poker regret is, alot will say "not playing more when I was younger". ha. 

Those were good times @ the tables! If I'd have done the right things back then, who knows where I'd be now! Maybe still at 30nl, I dunno! lol. 

-----------------------

You have it alot tougher now. Grinding up through the levels is still doable ofc, but it's a much slower process. People play so much tighter and more risk averse. I've played/watched some 10nl and it's soooooooo boring. 20nl isn't much better, and then @ 30nl there's at least 8/9 tough regs. And even alot of the fish aren't like massive fish like back in't day. 

I don't even know what 40/50nl is like, but I bet it aint much fun either!

It's a long slow process, I know you're not scared of volume after the cash promo thing, so if you have the time I'm sure you'll get to, and compete at 30nl pretty soon. After that, who knows. 

30nl isn't far off $50nl though! It's not the worst level to get stuck at tbf ;)

Try and have some shots @ 30nl asap imo!

GL!

• edited January 2013

Round up of Friday session.......

Was abit of a weird 1....

After the live update of the BH, which I won, It felt like it was like midnight. Felt sozzled!

DOHHHHHHH1560001£59.45 + £41.68 Head Prizes9 
    jessop0502£38.95 + £6.27 Head Prizes2 
    DarkNeo103£24.09 + £9.06 Head Prizes4

Played a few hypers and turbo mtts elsewhere and did alright, no deep runs but the hypers paid for the buy ins.

Then returned to Sky and played a £6 sat into the new £55 BH.

For once, I fully intended to play it if I made it in. 

It was a '2 seat gtd' job, but it ended up paying 3 seats and money for 4th! which is awesome, you can always rely on the BH format to bring in the numbers, even if it is a turbo :))))

I was going well, I'd just coolered Hoggers to take the chip lead with like 14 remaining, I was pretty much home and dry barring any sickness/blowups, so I was well chuffed. 

Then I heard a bang downstairs, and someone screaming. 

Sh!t myself, went to see wtf was up. 

My mother had slipped on the botoom step on the stairs, and gone over on her ankle, which was now pointing inwards at like a 45 degree angle. Oucchhhhhh it looked bug/gered. (it is)

So I'm sat with her waiting for an ambulance/paramedics, whilst my bloody stack is blinding off upstairs. iwufhvuhwefuivhuwiefhvuwefh. 

Bout 10 mins later they had it all under control, I got back to like 4xbb 5th of 5 left with 3 seats and money for 4th. 

Snap jammed and got a double up, then 2 stacks collided, and I fist pumped @ being gtd £22 at least. That was a result!

Then remembered to reg up the £55 event so I could take the money if I somehow managed to win a seat, which I did, about 3 hands later :)) wiiiiii.

HUGGY400501£2,000 Speed B/H
    kimpet340402£2,000 Speed B/H
    DOHHHHHHH279103£2,000 Speed B/H
    oceans000704£22
    OxfordBlue05

Was back downstairs with the invalid within 90 seconds. 

Gonna pen another strategy guide on sattellites.

"get a stack. go attend to a broken bone. come back 10 mins later, shove, shove, bink. ez game" 

Obv couldn't play the £55 after that, I will definitely aim to play that most nights though. It's gonna be tough playing it when I know I can take the money, but I have to be brave 1 time, as I'm very confident in that format! 

Got a small score in the £11 version of the turbo BH tho. 

cazzie581420001£102.95 + £61.72 Head Prizes6 
    Papahaveit02£67.45 + £68.96 Head Prizes12 
    TheSaw03£41.71 + £9.38 Head Prizes2 
    GreekWay04£33.73 + £27.43 Head Prizes6 
    high_tea05£27.51 + £22.26 Head Prizes5 
    timspaced06£23.07 + £9.38 Head Prizes2 
    DOHHHHHHH07£19.52 + £18.51 Head Prizes4

Was a +£150 day overall. Just what I needed after the cash spew previous.

2 days off now, and feeling good about a big session today. Really want this breakthrough on stars.fr. Pretty sure it's gonna come, just hope it's soon!

Jan totals. 
    Profit +£185
    Points 624

gl all playing today. Be careful walking on the snow (and the stairs ;))

• edited January 2013
    You may not update your diary on a daily basis but I love the ammount of effort and time you put in to replying to peoples questions.

Best diary on here without a doubt IMO glad youv'e kept it going.

Good Luck at the tables

Shuv
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to  Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Slow to reply here, apologies Rancid, been a weird few days. Bolded bit.... No secret to anyone whos been playing on sky regular, or readers here, that I've never really consistantly beat a level above 30nl.  As I said in my previous post I was once very optimistic about playing poker for alot more than recreation. About 2 years ago, I was in a good position, properly hammering the 30nl level and winning money almost at will.  Sky was alot softer back then. (yes, even softer than it is now). There were like 2/3 good regs back then, in fact I can name them, ozzie08, scotty77(look at him now), corbett04, and Fins was pretty solid also.  Then there were good players who would occasionally drop down from 50/40nl, like tommyd. And players who very occasionally played (when I was on), like Dylan12 & ricorambo. But that's like a handful of players, everyone else was truly awful. It was 'fill your boots time' almost literally, a time to cash in and just build build build your bankroll as much as you liked really.  That's the line I decided to take, I was already playing 100 buy ins +  when I started 30nl, and towards the end of the 'golden spell' I was playing with maybe 400-500 buy ins (after taking chunks from it at least once/twice per month).  I remember I once won 3k in a month playing mainly 30nl with bits and bobs of late night 40/50nl thrown in. Older forum members might remember me bragging about this in every other post when I was 'the forum idiot'. Again, abit like idcu is/does now ;) But, I missed a trick. Even back then I was only averaging 5k points per month. I was still only ever playing every other day, and still only when I was drunk. I was playing alot more though, cash sessions often lasted from 9pm to 7/8am.  I'm not sure how soft the tables on sky are at 3/4am nowardays, as I pass out after 14 beers, but back then, it was amazing. Like freeplay tables at times.  Anyway, back to the question, my plan was always long term with poker. Whilst the going was so good @ 30nl I just wanted to build my bankroll as much as I could, so I had the best possible launching pad for when I moved up. I don't neccesserily regret that, but I do regret not playing more. I got in to the routine of only playing when I was drinking, this probably cost me thousands. Obviously it's a really bad habit, on so many levels. lolol.  The 2nd mistake was staying at 30nl too long. I spent ages crushing it, building this 'cushion' that I wanted before moving up. But I wasn't improving, I was just playing poor players and not challenging myself. I failed to recognise the right time to properly move up and take on 50nl. All the good books/videos now reccommend an aggressive BRM strategy and advocate shot taking whenever possible, using 'stop losses' etc.  It's not like I never played 50nl, pretty much crushed it, and occasionally 100nl whenever I had shots. But again this was through the night when the 50nl standard was even worse than the 30nl daytime standard. So again I wasn't challenging myself, and therefore wasn't improving.  Sooo... "  At what point did you just stop wanting to move up the level and settle for your cash level." After about 9/10 months of grinding and beating 30nl I settled for 30nl as 'my cash level'. Another 6/7 months after that I gave up cash altogether and started playing HU sngs. Inevitably, got bored of that when I got to £21 buy in games (which I beat comfortably with around a 4% ROI). At least I took some shots @ £30/40/50 in this format (albeit drunken/tilty ones) and got totally crushed, alas, 9 months after starting, that was the end of that. Have a real problem 'taking it to the next level' :(  It's really hard! :P ---------------------- I reckon if you asked 100 people of my age who have been playing poker 5/6 years, what their biggest poker regret is, alot will say "not playing more when I was younger". ha.  Those were good times @ the tables! If I'd have done the right things back then, who knows where I'd be now! Maybe still at 30nl, I dunno! lol.  ----------------------- You have it alot tougher now. Grinding up through the levels is still doable ofc, but it's a much slower process. People play so much tighter and more risk averse. I've played/watched some 10nl and it's soooooooo boring. 20nl isn't much better, and then @ 30nl there's at least 8/9 tough regs. And even alot of the fish aren't like massive fish like back in't day.  I don't even know what 40/50nl is like, but I bet it aint much fun either! It's a long slow process, I know you're not scared of volume after the cash promo thing, so if you have the time I'm sure you'll get to, and compete at 30nl pretty soon. After that, who knows.  30nl isn't far off $50nl though! It's not the worst level to get stuck at tbf ;) Try and have some shots @ 30nl asap imo! GL!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Thanks for reply, interesting road you been on.

As you probably know I only play recreational so I decided before xmas to withdraw a massive chunk of my br, which brought me down to £500. Mainly for personal reasons to have a cracking Christmas plus I treated myself with a couple of goodies for all the hard work I had put in to my game during 2012.

So now I am just going to chunter on and withdraw each month whatever I make over £500. So that’s me back to grinding mainly nl10/nl20 for a bit. Really not bothered about moving up at the moment, a couple of leaks I need to plug plus motivation just ain't there at the moment.

Must of been nice to be playing on here two years ago )

Good luck at the tables

• edited January 2013
    You may not update your diary on a daily basis but I love the ammount of effort and time you put in to replying to peoples questions. Best diary on here without a doubt IMO glad youv'e kept it going. Good Luck at the tables Shuv
    Posted by shuv
    Cheers Shuvvaments. Haven't had a bet today so aint posted on your thread. Will be following as ever, mainly the snooker this week though. 

Would update this every day if I played every day. 

Some people prob take 1 look at the longer posts and think f that I cba reading an essay! ha. 

Swongs n roundaboooootz! 

Always happy to try new stuff on here if anyone has any ideas, HH's, breakdowns, reviews of other peoples hands (im sure others will help out, #AskPercival) whatever, let me know! 

-----------

Been out the shower 5 minutes, and just bust the first comp of the day already.

Late reg the hot $4 on stars, have 3k @ 40/80, 3x iso an utg limper with AJdd. He calls, and check raises all in on A83 with 2 clubs.

Snap call for me.

72 of clubs gets there.

lol.

-------------

Dunno if I'm gonna live update the bounty hunters again today. I could do I guess but not really had any feedback on the last one, which went as well as it possibly could from my point of view.

Might just jot some HHs down and do 1 write up post at the end.

Will def be playing them both anyway. 

lets goooooooo :)))

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Cheers Shuvvaments. Haven't had a bet today so aint posted on your thread. Will be following as ever, mainly the snooker this week though.  Would update this every day if I played every day.  Some people prob take 1 look at the longer posts and think f that I cba reading an essay! ha.  Swongs n roundaboooootz!  Always happy to try new stuff on here if anyone has any ideas, HH's, breakdowns, reviews of other peoples hands (im sure others will help out, #AskPercival) whatever, let me know!  ----------- Been out the shower 5 minutes, and just bust the first comp of the day already. Late reg the hot $4 on stars, have 3k @ 40/80, 3x iso an utg limper with AJdd. He calls, and check raises all in on A83 with 2 clubs. Snap call for me. 72 of clubs gets there. lol. ------------- Dunno if I'm gonna live update the bounty hunters again today. I could do I guess but not really had any feedback on the last one, which went as well as it possibly could from my point of view. Might just jot some HHs down and do 1 write up post at the end. Will def be playing them both anyway.  lets goooooooo :)))
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn you said you weren't gonna play these. variance overload variance overload
  • edited January 2013
    Dohhhh must do as he's told.

• edited January 2013
    Hi Dohhhhhhh

Just a q about justifiation of the T7 o hand playing three handed. He has CSI= 4 1/2 so if T7o isn't even in the range of hands which is accepted to unexploitably call a 4.5 csi shove. You say he is playing his short stack well so he knows you will shove wider anyway. Aren't you just levelling yourself by shoving instead of a least having a hand that can call this stack size. From the charts i have its about 50% or better. T7o is thought to be about 65 or worse. Just wondering how you go about making those decisions in such delicate/important positions. It's obv in your favour from the success you have but for me , i'd have folded faster than Usain Bolt!!.
  • edited January 2013

In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    Hi Dohhhhhhh Just a q about justifiation of the T7 o hand playing three handed. He has CSI= 4 1/2 so if T7o isn't even in the range of hands which is accepted to unexploitably call a 4.5 csi shove. You say he is playing his short stack well so he knows you will shove wider anyway. Aren't you just levelling yourself by shoving instead of a least having a hand that can call this stack size. From the charts i have its about 50% or better. T7o is thought to be about 65 or worse. Just wondering how you go about making those decisions in such delicate/important positions. It's obv in your favour from the success you have but for me , i'd have folded faster than Usain Bolt!!.
    Posted by profman15

Hey prof. 

Here comes my attempted justification at what is probably a bad shove.

The facts

He has 10.8k (7xbb?) behind after putting 1.6k in blind.

It's gonna cost me 11.6k more to put him all in.

I have trash trash offsuit. 

-----------

He has been playing well short stacked. The pay jump between 3rd and 2nd is pretty significant. He knows himself that he can't really shove too light in this scenario, because due to it being a BH he's gonna get looked up lighter than ususal. So he's been really patient so far. 

The third player at the table has already doubled him up by calling his shove with T6o. 

I've stoved what I think he will probably call with.

I think his calling range will prob be on the tight side, he seems the type to value his tournament life, and with the odds well stacked against him in terms of winning, he's probably hoping that the 2 big stacks collide and he can 'icm' his way in to 2nd place........

I've stoved a percieved range for him, and looked at how it plays against T7o.

equity  win  tie        pots won  pots tied
    Hand 0:  34.798%   34.30%  00.49%      2607916896   37615752.00   { T7o }
    Hand 1:  65.202%   64.71%  00.49%      4919481360   37615752.00   { 22+, A2s+, K7s+, Q9s+, JTs, A2o+, K8o+, QTo+ }

I've given him roughly the top 30% of hands. 

I think my shove gets thorugh a fair amount of the time, and if I'm called, I have a pretty solid 35%ish of equity. 

I can't work out if it's a profitable shove?

If he calls top 35% of his range, does that mean he folds 65% of the time?

If so, I'm picking up 2.4k uncontested most of the time, and have 35% equity the times I'm called?

Maybe someone can work out the ev of my shove, but using those vague assumptions, I'm pretty sure that if it's not profitable, it isn't far off.

And I haven't mentioned the bounty equity yet..............

Which could edge it in my favour?

And I guess it's only a small %age of my stack too, I'm still in great shape even if I lose. This is a more old-school thing to say, putting all the maths and the equity, and the ev to the side, and saying "well the risk/reward is in my favour" etc. 

Not my favoured method of decision making, but even if I call and lose it doesn't do too much damage to my stack/situation in the tournament. 

-----------

Conclusions

Is my hand strong enough to shove? - Probably not quite strong enough.

Am I going to get alot of folds? yes.

Am I going to get enough folds? probably not.

Is he going to call wide enough? Probably just. 

Have I just asked the same question 3 times but worded it differently? yes.

Am I going to show a profit shoving here long term? Probably slightly negative ev.

Is it a big mistake? Definitely not.

Did he find a good enough hand to call, and go on to hold? obv ;)

---------

wioujcouijeroicjiorejcioejrcijericj ffs @ the time out thing! (took me like an hour to write this post as I've been running around doing all sorts of stuff whilst writing it, so apologies if it doesn't flow/make sense. Ask if there's anything you disagree with or that doesn't make sense)
  • edited January 2013

lol @ my attempt to do some poker maths above! sigh.

On to Mondays results.

Not gonna post loads, was a totally frustrating day.

I didn't live update the BH, I've gathered from the lack of feedback that it probably doesn't appeal too much to readers. Too many hand histories can be off putting. 

The £11 BH on Mon was the worst yet though, so ridiculous how bad I ran.

(left out HHs and went with a run bad moan instead)

3 different times I built my stack up to average in the late stages (blinds beyond 200/400)

3 times I got knocked back down. AJ < A9. 66 < AK. and finally KK < 99 for a top 5 stack with 15 left.

so another £17.75 donated to the daytime BH regs.

I went on to play some 30nl, dropped 2 buy ins within 10 mins, then started playing and running pretty well. 

2 hours later I'd got the £60 back and was another £100 up on top.

Started getting tired and abit tilted and should have quit. 

KK < AA bb v button tilted me abit, coz the reg who coolered me is so dumb and I hate giving money to dumb regs. That's the only way they can beat me coolering me like that. ffs. 

Went on to tilt off £150 in 15 minutes. (who's the dumb reg now?)

All the stacks I'd built up disappeared in no time, and I logged off -£55 for the day.

Felt like -£500. 

Monthly totals
    Profit +£130
    Points 868
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to  Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Hey prof.  Here comes my attempted justification at what is probably a bad shove. The facts He has 10.8k (7xbb?) behind after putting 1.6k in blind. It's gonna cost me 11.6k more to put him all in. I have trash trash offsuit.  ----------- He has been playing well short stacked. The pay jump between 3rd and 2nd is pretty significant. He knows himself that he can't really shove too light in this scenario, because due to it being a BH he's gonna get looked up lighter than ususal. So he's been really patient so far.  The third player at the table has already doubled him up by calling his shove with T6o.  I've stoved what I think he will probably call with. I think his calling range will prob be on the tight side, he seems the type to value his tournament life, and with the odds well stacked against him in terms of winning, he's probably hoping that the 2 big stacks collide and he can 'icm' his way in to 2nd place........ I've stoved a percieved range for him, and looked at how it plays against T7o. equity  win  tie        pots won  pots tied Hand 0:  34.798%    34.30%  00.49%      2607916896   37615752.00    { T7o } Hand 1:  65.202%    64.71%  00.49%      4919481360   37615752.00    { 22+, A2s+, K7s+, Q9s+, JTs, A2o+, K8o+, QTo+ } I've given him roughly the top 30% of hands.  I think my shove gets thorugh a fair amount of the time, and if I'm called, I have a pretty solid 35%ish of equity.  I can't work out if it's a profitable shove? If he calls top 35% of his range, does that mean he folds 65% of the time? If so, I'm picking up 2.4k uncontested most of the time, and have 35% equity the times I'm called? Maybe someone can work out the ev of my shove, but using those vague assumptions, I'm pretty sure that if it's not profitable, it isn't far off. And I haven't mentioned the bounty equity yet.............. Which could edge it in my favour? And I guess it's only a small %age of my stack too, I'm still in great shape even if I lose. This is a more old-school thing to say, putting all the maths and the equity, and the ev to the side, and saying "well the risk/reward is in my favour" etc.  Not my favoured method of decision making, but even if I call and lose it doesn't do too much damage to my stack/situation in the tournament.  ----------- Conclusions Is my hand strong enough to shove? - Probably not quite strong enough. Am I going to get alot of folds? yes. Am I going to get enough folds? probably not. Is he going to call wide enough? Probably just.  Have I just asked the same question 3 times but worded it differently? yes. Am I going to show a profit shoving here long term? Probably slightly negative ev. Is it a big mistake? Definitely not. Did he find a good enough hand to call, and go on to hold? obv ;) --------- wioujcouijeroicjiorejcioejrcijericj ffs @ the time out thing! (took me like an hour to write this post as I've been running around doing all sorts of stuff whilst writing it, so apologies if it doesn't flow/make sense. Ask if there's anything you disagree with or that doesn't make sense)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
  • edited January 2013
    Re the T7o hand. Your push is effectively 11653 chips (what it costs him to call + half the BB). Based on the range you've assigned him this is the maths;

70% of the time he folds, you win the blinds, 2400 chips
    70% x +2400 = +1680

10.5% (35% x 30%) of the time he calls and you win a 24907 pot for +13254 profit
    10.5% x +13254 = +1392

19.5% (65% x 30%) of the time he calls and you lose your 11653 shove
    19.5% x -11653 = -2272

+1680
    +1392
    ---------
    +800

So on averge your push shows a profit of 800 chips. It's +cev, whether or not it's +£ev is another matter.

I hope this helps (took 5 mins).
  • edited January 2013
    just fold, took me 2 secs )

bad session Dohhhhhhh :(

maths is great but think it would depend how oppo been playing, if they been just whittling down - fold,fold,fold then a shove is always going to be +cev -

Also does this shove depend on you stack size, how more likely are you to shove with a bigger stack

• edited January 2013
    Cheers Dohhhhhhh

Cracking post to my post. I really appreciate it. Cheers to GaryQQQ and Rancid. I can do the calculations now, for my sins, but my poker is so "jeez he must have it" that it's interfering with my game constantly and putting me off at the mo. I couldn't even tell that Rancid had a set of threes to my pocket aces in our Fa cup match! :-)( #FILWA syndrome).
    I need some of that "fearless chip butty" that you lot tuck into onto a regular basis. Cheers guys, its good to see what i thought was correct not be. I'm used to it nw........
  • edited January 2013
    Regarding my post above, I don't know why I didn't think to check at the time, but I have now;

Effective stacks before posting the blinds are 8.28 big blinds (13253/1600 = 8.28BB)

Nash Equilibrium charts say that T7o is a push at 9.0BB effective stacks or less. So our maths confirm that Nash is correct in this instance. When effective stacks are <10BB in a HU pot you can safely push from the SB according to Nash (though against most villains I'd call a bit tighter than Nash on the BB). Arguably the only exception is min-raising your premium pairs, which might work out to be slightly more profitable than open shoving.
  • edited January 2013

Appreciate the posts Gary. Hopefully profman sees them too, as a maths bod I'm sure he'll be interested to see the calculations.

The 2nd post re. Nash is my preferred method, let some guy do all the working out for me and use his chart :)

I didn't think I was far off, and it was either a small winning or small losing shove either way.

The bounty equity could swing it in my favour even if it was a losing shove, so very happy getting it in here, esp as his calling range was probably tighter than optimal in this situation.

-----------------

To save spamming the thread with loads of posts, I'll add Thursdays update here. 

I only played 2 games on Sky all day. 

The £5.50 velo freezeout @ 10pmish. 

I Final tabled, went in 2/6, with £77 ftw, but finished 6th, just 1 place inside the money, for £17. 

Then I played 1 £10.50 HU sng and won it, so up about 20 quid for the day. 

Would have played cash but after taking a look @ 30nl and seeing AJ rockets, super nova, bolly, Kkrippler, acegooner on every single table I would have been the fish in the games and ended up losing money.

Good mental game decision to just say whatever, and leave it alone. 

Go away cash promos! grrrr.

Monthly totals
    Profit +£150
    Points 880

Prob be a quiet day on here again, most of my games will be elsewhere. 

P.S - Profman, they've ALWAYS got a set, even loosies like Rancid ;)

• edited January 2013
    Nice diary DOHHHHH i read alot but very rarely post. How did the TCOOP go the other day? i told you id bust within the hour lol no point messing around in them 30k plus fields get a stack early or theres no point.
  • edited January 2013
    Nice diary DOHHHHH i read alot but very rarely post. How did the TCOOP go the other day? i told you id bust within the hour lol no point messing around in them 30k plus fields get a stack early or theres no point.
    Posted by BigHawk89
    Cheers Hawk. 

The TCOOP promised much, but like alot of my poker recently went t!ts up quickly.

I was once in 16th (albeit out of like 5,000 left). Got the early double and was up to about 20k at the first break.

Then found a tough(?) spot, where I was playing about 35k, 2 limpers in e.p and the small blind makes it 6k! @ 200/400. He had around 27k.

I've got AK in the big blind.

Ughhhh? wtf to do.

I put it in, and ofc he had AA. 

Had abit left but couldn't do much with it.

Can't seem to get owt going at the moment, it's not really run bad in terms of being outdrawn or whatever, just getting in tough spots/cooler situations quite often. 

nvm, never expected much and it was a freeroll.

Maybe I'll win summat this week! plzzzzzzzzzz

• edited January 2013

Saturday

Rubbish again!  :(

Played away from sky all afternoon, couldn't get anything going, 1 min cash out of 7/8 mtts. 1 pure bubble in a 4,000 runner field too :( ha.

Moved to sky in the evening.

At 8.30 I entered a £6, 1 in 10 sat to the £55 BH, which I assumed, was the speed bounty hunter @ 10.30.

Half way through, when I had a stack going, I realised it was for the normal bounty hunter that starts in 5 mins! sh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!t!

If I qualified I would have to play it! sigh.

Ofc, I did qualify, which meant I was forced to play a tournament that would finish at about 2am, making this potentially a 14 hour session.

Even if I ran well and went deep, the biggest challenge would be staying awake!

Anyway, I needn't have worried.

My starting table was the same 5 players that had just qualified via the sat! vvvvv soft. I dunno if this is right, but it was certainly a big advantage to me. Gtd 4 satellite qualifiers is nice, and obviously preferable to people who have bought in direct.

But they were pretty terrible players too, other than 1 recogniseable site veteran, bazbazbaz, who plays pretty solid, the rest were ded spewy and loose and perfect to play against.

Was totally card dead though, couldn't find any spots to capitalise on a perfect loose table.

Ofc v these types of players, if you aint getting the hands, there's not much you can do other than be patient.

Which I did quite well tbf. I raised/folded, cbet/folded, resisted the urge to barrell turns, just sat there quietly whilst they spewed stacks back and forth, praying that the table wouldn't break!

It did break, but not for a good hour and half, and the next table I got was full of unknowns. Which isn't great, but it's better than the alternative, being sat with all the sites sharks who regularly play in, cash in, and win these kind of events!

Almost 2 hours later, I found the spot I'd been waiting for.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    DOHHHHHHH Small blind  100.00 100.00 3385.00
    superyank Big blind  200.00 300.00 5502.42
     Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

donkey303 Fold     
    The_Bear88 Fold     
    wineli Fold     
    CHAFFED955 Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  400.00 700.00 2985.00
    superyank All-in  5502.42 6202.42 0.00
    DOHHHHHHH All-in  2985.00 9187.42 0.00
    superyank Unmatched bet  2217.42 6970.00 2217.42
    DOHHHHHHH Show
    • K
    • K

superyank Show
    • A
    • J

Flop

• A

Turn

• J

River

• J

superyank Win Full House, Jacks and Aces 6970.00  9187.42
    And that was that.

Good Game.

Not.

Torture!!!! lol.

35xbb @ 100/200 is quite healthy, well below avg but I could have worked with that, getting to the stage of the game where pre flop aggression and stabbing at pots otf becomes more rewarding with sizeable blinds.

Hate slow tournaments.

Played the £5 velo and £11 blizzard BH's. Didn't win a hand in either.

Bout £25 down for the day here.

Poker morale not far off an all time low.

Nothing good happened for ages, spose I won the BH last week, but the standard in that is very very bad, can't take much pleasure in winning something as soft as that.

Would like something good to happen soon please, poker Godz.

tia! :)

Monthly totals
    Profit +£105
    Points 958
  • edited January 2013
    Get some stick for my notes.

Just found this one.

"limps at unapropriate times - mtt(bb's)"

:D

Just googled it to see if it's even a real word and got this from the Urban Dictionary.

1.unappropriate

The act of someone trying to say or write the word inappropriate but failing miserably and writes this word
  • edited January 2013
  • edited January 2013
    Re the T7o hand. Your push is effectively 11653 chips (what it costs him to call + half the BB). Based on the range you've assigned him this is the maths; 70% of the time he folds, you win the blinds, 2400 chips 70% x +2400 = +1680 10.5% (35% x 30%) of the time he calls and you win a 24907 pot for +13254 profit 10.5% x +13254 = +1392 19.5% (65% x 30%) of the time he calls and you lose your 11653 shove 19.5% x -11653 = -2272 +1680 +1392 -2272 --------- +800 So on averge your push shows a profit of 800 chips. It's +cev, whether or not it's +£ev is another matter. I hope this helps (took 5 mins).
    Posted by GaryQQQ
     Hi Gary

Isn't the 70% an assumption that you are making about how often your opponent will fold. What do you feel about my post and the chart that says its wrong to do this? Maybe i've got the wrong end of the stick but until i understand it then i'll be assuming the villain has hands that are better than they need be.
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" :  Hi Gary Isn't the 70% an assumption that you are making about how often your opponent will fold. What do you feel about my post and the chart that says its wrong to do this? Maybe i've got the wrong end of the stick but until i understand it then i'll be assuming the villain has hands that are better than they need be.
    Posted by profman15
    I aint saw the whole thread of this conversation but presumably, we are making some educated guesses about our opponent and think he is playing the top 30% of hands (which means he's folding the bottom 70%)
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" :  Hi Gary Isn't the 70% an assumption that you are making about how often your opponent will fold. What do you feel about my post and the chart that says its wrong to do this? Maybe i've got the wrong end of the stick but until i understand it then i'll be assuming the villain has hands that are better than they need be.
    Posted by profman15
    Hey Prof, I think Gary (had no option but to) base/d his calculations on the percieved calling range of the opponent that I gave him in an earlier post.

Ofc the key to the whole problem is working out how tight/wide he will call my shove, and then picking the optimal shoving range based on this.

That's the poker part. I gave the range as top 30% of hands,  { 22+, A2s+, K7s+, Q9s+, JTs, A2o+, K8o+, QTo+ } which is maybe kinda tight for an optimal calling range, but that's the kind of player I felt I was up against. As I said before, I felt he was the type to value his tournament life more than the potential edge he could gain from making marginally +ev calls.

He wasn't overly tight, just felt he was holding out and playing on the tighter side of 'perfect' short stacked poker.
  • edited January 2013
    Monday

Up early for the cricket today, England just finished their innings and somehow managed to get to 250+, which probably isn't enough but alot more than we looked like getting an hour ago!

------------------------------------------

Got half hour to try something different in the update here, gonna post the 'story of my tourny' from my last session. The 10 key hands from start to finish.

Quite alot of HH's, but see how it goes. All feedback welcome :)

I played a £12 sat into the big £110 BH.

The payout structure guarentees 2 seats, and the tourny is capped @ 25 runners.

This comp did max out, meaning the payouts were as follows....

1st - £110 seat/cash
    2nd - £110 seat/cah.
    3rd - £55 cash.

I enjoy this structure for a few reasons.

1 - It doesn't take too long, it's over within around an hour and half.
    2 - It's top heavy, which rewards aggressive players, and alot of players don't adapt.
    3 - The blind structure is very good, it's quite fast, but the levels are very balanced throughout.

Here goes....

My approach in tournaments early doors is just to play well. (lol! sick first line right)

What I mean is, I never have a strategy to play loose, or tight, or gamble early, or any other theory that some players may adopt. I just play the hands as they come and try to adapt to the table as soon as possible.

Key Hand 1

It's always nice to get a sizeable early pot, I normally feel 'in' the game if I can get above starting stack instead of scratching around being card dead and fighting to keep my head above water.

Fortunately I got off to a solid start with this hand.
    c_h_r_i_s Small blind  15.00 15.00 3692.19
    mikem1981 Big blind  30.00 45.00 2970.00
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

LnarinOO Fold     
    theduck117 Call  30.00 75.00 2880.00
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  120.00 195.00 2865.00
    ANDY13 Call  120.00 315.00 2880.00
    c_h_r_i_s Call  105.00 420.00 3587.19
    mikem1981 Call  90.00 510.00 2880.00
    theduck117 Fold     
    Flop

• K
    • Q

c_h_r_i_s Check     
    mikem1981 Check     
    DOHHHHHHH Bet  330.00 840.00 2535.00
    ANDY13 Fold     
    c_h_r_i_s Call  330.00 1170.00 3257.19
    mikem1981 Fold     
    Turn

• K

c_h_r_i_s Check     
    DOHHHHHHH Bet  690.00 1860.00 1845.00
    c_h_r_i_s Call  690.00 2550.00 2567.19
    River

• K

c_h_r_i_s Check     
    DOHHHHHHH All-in  1845.00 4395.00 0.00
    c_h_r_i_s Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Muck     
    DOHHHHHHH Win  2550.00  2550.00
    DOHHHHHHH Return  1845.00 0.00 4395.00
    I think my line here is standard? I've just gone for 3 streets and sized my bets to make the river a shove. I gather there is a theory in poker that people never fold a full house. I suspect this villain found a fold here with that type of hand, so wp him. And a great start for me!

Key Hand 2

Went abit quiet after that. This hand isn't a biggie, but my good start allows me to make a few 'small ball' plays such as this without dropping into the danger zone.

There isn't alot of room to get creative, but similarly there's not much time to sit back and wait for TT+ and AK.
    c_h_r_i_s Small blind  75.00 75.00 4204.38
    Jeffter Big blind  150.00 225.00 2777.50
     Your hole cards
    • A

theduck117 Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  300.00 525.00 3895.00
    bracewell1 Fold     
    c_h_r_i_s Call  225.00 750.00 3979.38
    Jeffter Fold     
    Flop

• J

c_h_r_i_s Check     
    DOHHHHHHH Bet  450.00 1200.00 3445.00
    c_h_r_i_s Call  450.00 1650.00 3529.38
    Turn

c_h_r_i_s Check     
    DOHHHHHHH Check     
    River

c_h_r_i_s Bet  600.00 2250.00 2929.38
    DOHHHHHHH Fold     
    c_h_r_i_s Muck     
    c_h_r_i_s Win  1650.00  4579.38
    c_h_r_i_s Return  600.00 0.00 5179.38
    I dunno what he had here, but I guess I have to open, have to cbet that flop, have to give up the turn, and have to fold the river!

Sigh.

Key Hand 3

Looks inocuous, but this is one of the key hands in the tournament. Need these spots to go my way, I could easily shove into a dominated hand, or lose the race as I'm not far ahead against any hand really, but it's a standard shove with stacks, and a key momentum builder.
    DOHHHHHHH Small blind  150.00 150.00 3095.00
    bracewell1 Big blind  300.00 450.00 1758.12
     Your hole cards
    • K

Jeffter Fold     
    DREAMHUNTE Fold     
    theduck117 Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH All-in  3095.00 3545.00 0.00
    bracewell1 All-in  1758.12 5303.12 0.00
    DOHHHHHHH Unmatched bet  1186.88 4116.24 1186.88
    DOHHHHHHH Show
    • K

bracewell1 Show

Flop

Turn

• J

River

DOHHHHHHH Win Pair of 10s 4116.24  5303.12
    Key Hands 4, 5 & 6.

Getting into the mid stages now, with around half the field gone and approaching the 2 table stage.

Found AK in the big blind @ 150/300. Rock solid TPT player (they all normally have it) 3x's utg from 20xbb, and I have 17 bigs. I'm not loving it, but I know I have to get it in and probably win a flip.

So I did, I did, and I did.
    theduck117 Small blind  150.00 150.00 4689.38
    DOHHHHHHH Big blind  300.00 450.00 5003.12
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

Jeffter Raise  900.00 1350.00 6555.00
    DREAMHUNTE Fold     
    theduck117 Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH All-in  5003.12 6353.12 0.00
    Jeffter Call  4403.12 10756.24 2151.88
    DOHHHHHHH Show
    • A
    • K

Jeffter Show
    • Q
    • Q

Flop

• A

Turn

River

DOHHHHHHH Win Pair of Aces 10756.24  10756.24
    Exactly 1 orbit later, I'm back in the bb and dealt another premium hand, QQ.

The small blind min raises from 16xbb, as he would with alot of hands.

I have no other move but to ship it, and hope he has a genuine hand. He's unlikely to have 1 in this scenario, and will probably fold most of the time but I feel shoving is still the best option as he might find it hard to fold some mediocre hands, and may level himself into thinking I'm light because it's a blind v blind battle.

More run good for me, he makes a very easy/good call with pocket 9s, and we hold again.

Flying now.

Literally the next hand, and I'm dealt another premium. Again, I'm faced with a jeffter 3x open from early position. Again, I know he is strong, but I have pocket tens and he has 5 big blinds, what can I do?
    DOHHHHHHH Small blind  150.00 150.00 16195.62
    chefboy79 Big blind  300.00 450.00 6725.00
     Your hole cards

AJE222 Fold     
    Jeffter Raise  1200.00 1650.00 501.88
    DREAMHUNTE Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH All-in  16195.62 17845.62 0.00
    chefboy79 Fold     
    Jeffter All-in  501.88 18347.50 0.00
    DOHHHHHHH Unmatched bet  14643.74 3703.76 14643.74
    DOHHHHHHH Show

Jeffter Show
    • K
    • A

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

• K

DOHHHHHHH Win Three 10s 3703.76  18347.50
    Call and flop him dead right? :)

3 cooler situations in my favour within the space of 7 hands give me the tournament chip lead and put me in great shape with around 8 players remaining.

This was as good as it got for a while. I'd done the hard work, there was no real need for me to get involved now, unless the cards set up an un-avoidable cooler situation. Thankfully nothing disasterous happened, and I made the final table in a healthy position.

FT STACKS

Carpcaper 25k
    DOHHHHHHH15k
    mikem 13k
    tarator 8k
    mishmish 7k
    rivermunky 5k

With blinds @ 400/800 going into the FT, my game plan at this stage was to try and stay out of the way of mike and carp, and hopefully get down to 4 handed asap. I knew that the plot would develop quite quickly on the final table, within 1 or 2 orbits, the short stacks would have either doubled, or bust, and the situation and therefore my strategy would become alot clearer.

Contrasting fortunes for the shorties, as rivermunky departed early, but tarator and mishmish both ran very well at the expense of the big stack, carpcaper who was playing an extremely loose game. Mikem was next to depart, meaning we were on the bubble, with the stacks as follows.

tarator - 34k
    mishmish - 25k.
    DOHHHHHHH - 13k
    carpcaper - 4k

Key hand 7

I found myself in an unusual position here.

The payout in the tournament means that the top 2 spots are worth double 3rd, but 3rd itself is 5x the entry fee, and 4th pays nothing.

Not really clued up on final table ICM, but my 'logical' approach (rightly or wrongly) was to try and secure the 3rd place money, and then take my chances at trying to crack the top 2 places.

This is a really interesting hand, and would appreciate any feedback/opinions on this one imparticular.
    tarator Small blind  500.00 500.00 33420.00
    CARPCAPER Big blind  1000.00 1500.00 1435.00
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

mishmish Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  2000.00 3500.00 11897.50
    tarator Call  1500.00 5000.00 31920.00
    CARPCAPER Fold     
    Flop

tarator Check     
    DOHHHHHHH Bet  3000.00 8000.00 8897.50
    tarator Call  3000.00 11000.00 28920.00
    Turn

tarator Check     
    DOHHHHHHH Check     
    River

tarator Bet  3000.00 14000.00 25920.00
    DOHHHHHHH Fold     
    tarator Muck     
    tarator Win  11000.00  36920.00
    tarator Return  3000.00 0.00 39920.00
    You can see I started the hand with 14 big blinds @ 500/1k.

The big blind is the short stack, playing 2.5xbb, with 1 of those already invested.

My initial aim in the tournament is to secure 3rd place.

My thoughts at the time, were that there is no way the big blind is folding. And therefore there's no way I'm folding pre flop, unless for some reason the small blind shoves, and the big blind folds, then I guess I'd have to fold.

The small blind calls, which I'm not too concerned about, hopefully he recognises the situation, and we can check it down and both ladder securely into the money. Of course if he is switched on he can exploit this situation and put pressure on me, as he knows I have alot more to lose here than he does.

My other option pre flop is of course to jam all in from the button. Do people prefer this? I'm really not sure and at the time was totally confused by how to approach such an unusual payout structure.

Should I go all out for the top 2 spots? (shove)
    Or try and 'small ball' my way into the top 3?

To my amazement, the bb finds a fold. I get a really good flop to cbet, but my opponent check calls.

I'm now facing a turn spot where any bet puts my stack into life support territory. Is he really going to fold to a turn barrell? Is it worth the risk?

I felt I had too much to lose, and gave up on the hand. I still have like the nut no pair hand, and 2 overs. So I could be good already on such a dry board, and if not, I could get there on the river.

He leads the river, and I have to fold.

I'm really annoyed at this hand. My hands are tied due to the stack of the big blind, he has 1.5xbb left, to my 9xbb, I'm sure it would be ICM suicide to spew my stack off here, but I'm not sure?

Key hands 8 & 9.

Yes, the fact that there are at least 2 more key hands when we're on the bubble with a 1.5xbb stack can only mean bad news is imminent :(

The very next hand, the shorty on life support finds the Ace he's been waiting for. And gets the double up.
    CARPCAPER Small blind  500.00 500.00 935.00
    mishmish Big blind  1000.00 1500.00 23747.50
     Your hole cards
    • J

DOHHHHHHH Fold     
    tarator Fold     
    CARPCAPER All-in  935.00 2435.00 0.00
    mishmish Call  435.00 2870.00 23312.50
    CARPCAPER Show
    • A

mishmish Show
    • K

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

CARPCAPER Win Pair of 5s 2870.00  2870.00
    Again, the very next hand after that, another Ace, another double up.
    mishmish Small blind  500.00 500.00 22812.50
    DOHHHHHHH Big blind  1000.00 1500.00 7897.50
     Your hole cards

tarator Fold     
    CARPCAPER All-in  2870.00 4370.00 0.00
    mishmish Call  2370.00 6740.00 20442.50
    DOHHHHHHH Fold     
    mishmish Show

CARPCAPER Show
    • A

Flop

• K

Turn

• A

River

CARPCAPER Win Pair of Aces 6740.00  6740.00
    I appreciate the effort mishmish, but this guy doesn't want to go away! :(

Ironic, the first time I run bad and miss equity in the whole tournament, and they're not even my cards ;)

So now our friend Carcaper is right back in the game! There's nothing in it between us for the 3rd money spot. He has all the momentum, I'm fearing the worst. The way things have been going lately, it was almost inevitable.

Key hand 10

His stack doesn't show in this HH, but after I've put the big blind in, we are almost dead level.

My focus is now soley on 3rd place, any optimistic ambitions of cracking the top 2 spots for £110 have gone, I'd glady take the £55 now please!
    mishmish Small blind  600.00 600.00 24542.50
    DOHHHHHHH Big blind  1200.00 1800.00 6197.50
     Your hole cards
    • K

tarator Fold     
    CARPCAPER Fold     
    mishmish Call  600.00 2400.00 23942.50
    DOHHHHHHH Check     
    Flop

• J

mishmish Bet  1200.00 3600.00 22742.50
    DOHHHHHHH Call  1200.00 4800.00 4997.50
    Turn

• K

mishmish Bet  1200.00 6000.00 21542.50
    DOHHHHHHH All-in  4997.50 10997.50 0.00
    mishmish Call  3797.50 14795.00 17745.00
    mishmish Show
    • Q

DOHHHHHHH Show
    • K

River

mishmish Win Three 6s 14795.00  32540.00
    No such luck :(

I think my play here is standard. Maybe an optimistic flop call in the situation? I have some good equity though and I can call 1 street I think. I have to fold the turn if I don't improve.

On that turn, it's a no brainer, it's going in. And tbf to him, I suppose he has to call too with the equity he has and the stacks as they are.

mishmish 75000 1 £5,000 B/Huntertarator 0 2 £5,000 B/HunterCARPCAPER 0 3 £55DOHHHHHHH 0 4

sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm left staring at the screen, thinking wowwww what just happened here. How did I not even make the top 3 from that position??????????

How did that happen?

How did I ever win at poker?

How is it possible to win tournaments when you win every single all in, every single flip, run amazing, cooler people, but STILL LOSE?

Will I ever win again?

haha, snap out of it dohhhhhhhhhh.

I had won a scary freezeout mtt earlier in the day tbf, which paid about £35 from £2, and made abit @ HU sngs later, only played about 5 I think. Made for a winning day of around £40.

DOHHHHHHH1380001£34.04
    flamingo02£20.24
    trigger703£13.80
    Groky04£10.12
    STU4RT05£7.36
    lizhard06£6.44
    Could have done with that extra £55/110 on top though :(

Brings monthly totals to.....

Profit +£145
    Points 1008

'furrely fed up' w/poker, maybe something good will happen today :)

Run good all.

• edited January 2013
    Posted by profman15

Yes, the only possible variable in the maths is the BB's calling range. Dohhhhhhh himself had said he estimated the villain would only call with the top 30% of hands. So that's the figure I used; 30% calls and 70% folds. Tweaking it wouldn't change the results by much, I reckon it would still come out as a marginal +cev shove if you used calling ranges of say 25% or 35%.