You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

"Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary"

Comments

• edited May 2014
    ty jj. 

unlucky on ur relegation, rarely follow lower league english football as you know but it sounds about as grim as it can get. 

However i am relabliy informed Donny are a team with lots of relegations and promotions, so im sure that treand will continue with a bounce back. 

Do you think liverpool can still win the prem? 

What chances do you give England in the world cup? 
  • edited May 2014
    Still reading...... Hope the "personal stuff" sorts itself out & time for poker increases.  UL for Donny
  • edited May 2014
    Just put in a code for 10 pound and how do I play with it
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    ty jj.  unlucky on ur relegation, rarely follow lower league english football as you know but it sounds about as grim as it can get.  However i am relabliy informed Donny are a team with lots of relegations and promotions, so im sure that treand will continue with a bounce back.  Do you think liverpool can still win the prem?  What chances do you give England in the world cup? 
    Posted by The_Don90
    So just lower league Scottish football then?
  • edited May 2014
    Have to 'flick' a few tips in as it's the last post of the year. Some players to watch out for flying up the stakes and crushing the site in 2014. (I haven't played with a lot of regular forumers, so don't be offended if you're not on the list! :P) Cash - Liamboi11/Gazza127 Sngs - Teddybloat MTTs - Splashies All 3 - AJrocketsPosted by DOHHHHHHH
    Not a bad week for the pre-season tips!

Not sure how Teddy is getting on now he's playing elsewhere but with Liam going well in his diary, splashman final tabling a main a week, and rocketman winning rollers and jackpots it's looking good. Just need Gazza to come back from Vegas a millionaire to get the 5 fold up.

-------

I'm starting to get back into some sort of routine myself now with poker.

As I've been playing less, I've tried to make sessions a lot more intense to get the most out of them.

I'm no 25 tabling, 100x MTT per session wizzkid yet, but if you keep registering up all the time there's normally 1 deep/very deep run happening all the time throughout the session.

Nothing more demoralising than 1 tabling a deep run, busting in 10th, then realising you're 3+ hours away from another 'shot' at a score (if you're lucky).

It's also surprising how much turning Skype off and actually thinking about the game improves your performance. Someone should write a book about it. 

-------------

Quick word on the cricket. 

Cr @p

------------

Tip for a breakthrough English player under the new management this year...

Liam Plunkett. 

Hope he gets a spin. 

If Chris Woakes gets the nod over him in 5 day cricket I'm x'ing cricket off for the summer. Possibly forever. 

------------------

GL all playing today.
  • edited May 2014
    . Someone should write a book about it.  ------------- Quick word on the cricket.  Cr @p.  ------------ Tip for a breakthrough English player under the new management this year... Liam Plunkett.  Hope he gets a spin.  If Chris Woakes gets the nod over him in 5 day cricket I'm x'ing cricket off for the summer. Possibly forever.  ------------------ GL all playing today.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

IS this the same guy who had a "breakthrough" about 7/8 years ago?  ;-)  ANyway, glad time for poker is improving.  Mine is up&down atm.  When I think I'm playing "well" I usually end up bubbling & when I play "badly" I run/do well!  Gotta love poker!  

• edited May 2014
    Get your google doc updated JJ!
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : IS this the same guy who had a "breakthrough" about 7/8 years ago?  ;-)  ANyway, glad time for poker is improving.  Mine is up&down atm.  When I think I'm playing "well" I usually end up bubbling & when I play "badly" I run/do well!  Gotta love poker!  
    Posted by Glenelg
    Yes Pad, that's the fella. Good knowledge.

He was always talented, he just had to get out of Geordieland and come to the home of English fast bowling to realise his potential.

'up and down' is abit modest. 2nd in the roller is abit better than that! It was an unusual final table strategy that you employed, abit of positive tilt? Or a pre conceived plan to try and take people out of their comfort zone and put them in awkward spots?

Power Poker!

Either way, it worked. congrats.

--------------------

The last 10 days or so have been frustrating.

The last time I updated I'd won 2x 300 runner fields in 1 day.

The following week I played some slightly 'bigger' stuff (it wasn't hard honest, my average buying rose from probably £3 to £6)

I had so many runs and 'near' misses, I remember a week ago last Friday finishing between 10th and 20th in 3 competitions in 1 night, with combined money up top of $4,000.

Not a lot on a wider scale, but when you're generally playing MTTs with $200-300 for 1st it feels a big deal!

I always said that with MTTs, as long as I'm running deep at least once per session and getting myself in contention, it's enjoyable.

Maybe like a golfer, if you're turning up week in week out and missing cuts, or finishing 15 shots off the lead, it can't be much fun.

If you're turning up every week and going into the final round within 5/6 shots of the lead, but never getting over the line, at least it's abit of a sweat/enjoyable.

Yes frustrating but you know you're not far off finding that win, it'll come eventually if you keep getting in those situations.

I did win the Orfordable that night though :D

---------------

I've failed with the spreadsheet. :/

It was going so well.

Then at the start of last months my poker routine totally changed for 4 weeks. I was having sporadic sessions here and there, and the other days were spent playing the odd hour/2 hours sometimes 2/3 times a day at the 'very' micro stakes in the challenge v Don.

I couldn't be bothered to record profit/loss of £5/6 per session, so I let it slide.

Now I can't be bothered to fix the balances and stuff again, so I'm sending it into retirement.

It was fun while it lasted!!!!

1 significant trend over the huge 3 month sample size was that I always started a new month with a relatively 'big' winning session.

Positive vibes going into Monday then! (love playing Mondays!)

Before then though, big session today.

Skys 'Betting Chat' super 6 syndicate is going to come up trumps this afternoon, Froch is going to knock George Groves out again tonight, and I'm going to win a $1 turbo rebuy somewhere for $150 or something.

Got to have a dream.........

gl to all playing today, and to Kings 11 Punjab in the IPL final tomorrow!!!!

• edited June 2014
    Hi D

Just wanted to say that i thought your item on cash at low stakes was very good indeed and very tempting too for a non cash  player. I was well impressed. Ive printed it out and added it to a few other articles i have for when that day arrives. Cheers.
  • edited June 2014
    Hi D Just wanted to say that i thought your item on cash at low stakes was very good indeed and very tempting too for a non cash  player. I was well impressed. Ive printed it out and added it to a few other articles i have for when that day arrives. Cheers.
    Posted by profman15

Link please.
  • edited June 2014
    Hi D Just wanted to say that i thought your item on cash at low stakes was very good indeed and very tempting too for a non cash  player. I was well impressed. Ive printed it out and added it to a few other articles i have for when that day arrives. Cheers.
    Posted by profman15
    Thanks profman.

It's a few years old now, there's bits of it I'd change and some stuff I'd like to add if I were to write it again.

Overall the basics are still the basics, and doing them well will be more than enough to make a handsome profit at the micro stakes on here. At that level some parts of the game will never change :)

@ Trebor, I don't know where it is, not sure it's even on the site anymore and I don't have a copy.

It really is level 0.1 stuff though, I doubt it would benefit you at all!

• edited June 2014

I've had a good week online! The trend of starting months on the front foot this year continues.

It started in strange circumstances last Saturday afternoon.

I entered the 'big 6' on the French site, it starts @ 9.30 UK time.

Started getting a nagging toothache around midday when we were just in the money, so took some paracetamols.

An hour later the nagging toothache had become borderline agony, so ran downstairs on the break to get some ibuprofen.

Took 2 of them, at least I thought I had.

30 mins later I realised the ibuprofen box was still unopened, and with the distraction of the pain/final table I'd auto-piloted and taken 2 more P's!

GULP.

Played the whole final table paranoid I was going to die or something, especially as I'd had a couple of beers at this point.

I'm an absolute nervous wreck on final tables as it is, no matter what stakes or what's up top. It's the pressure of having invested so much time/effort to get this far, knowing I really don't want to blow it now.

So the heart rate is naturally higher than usual. Add in the paranoia and it was a very unpleasant experience.

It ended up in me suggesting a deal HU even though I had a clear chip and skill edge.

We were deep and he was tight passive, it was going to take a while and I just wanted it over with so I could go write my will or something just incase.

Chopped for €380.

-------------

Few hours (and about a gallon of water) later, I felt fine, so cracked on with the session as normal.

Ended up going on till 5am! 17 hours (with a 3 hour break in the middle). The next day wasn't fun.

Won a fair chunk of dosh (for me) backing Froch to knock out the cockey little sh!t from darrrrrn Sarrrrf' then took advantage of being conscious in the early hours of Sun morning for once to play some cash on here. The games are ace at those times.

Few days later I won a webcam MTT for just under $400 then Thursday shipped a Sky BH for just under £200.

An MTT every other day keeps busto away :)

---------------

Have been doing quite abit of HU hyper sng study/research again this week.

Think I've found a million leaks in my game.

No wonder I get crushed everytime I try to play elsewhere.

I'm thinking of doing a 100 game challenge, either here or elsewhere at a reasonable stake level, maybe $15. And see how they go. May monitor on here when it starts.

-------------

Bit nackered this morning, 3 hours sleep going into a session isn't ideal, can't see it being a late one tonight.

At midnight I started watching Dexter season 4 half way through.

About the same time I started railing mattbates deep in the big55 elsewhere on the laptop at the same time.

Both got massively addictive. "just 1 more episode" "just 1 more hour". sighhhhh

Ended up calling it a night just after 4am :(

Congrats to Bates, 4th place finish for $6.6k aint bad!

Still not good enough to ship the roller though ;)

Good luck all playing today :)

• edited June 2014
    paracetamol doesn't work like that, you could OD and be happy as larry for five years then POW dead from liver disease.
  • edited June 2014
    paracetamol doesn't work like that, you could OD and be happy as larry for five years then POW dead from liver disease.
    Posted by Epoker
    Sigh probably a -ev deal then, he was tight/passive but I'm sure it would have finished within that time frame.

Also doh @ paracetamol slowrolling me :(

It was an accident honest, wont happen again! :D
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" :   Link please.
    Posted by 68Trebor
    don't know if this will work, but I think this is the link to dohhhhhh's micro cash

Links here:

Beating Small Stakes Cash Games - Part 1

Beating Small Stakes Cash Games - Part 2

Beating Small Stakes Cash Games - Part 3 

yep it worked lol

regards Alan
  • edited June 2014
    Hey mate,

sorry i wasnt replying to your messages in chat unfortunately I was naughty once and got chat banned I have asked to have it reinstated but no joy yet.

was great playing you today other than the money enjoyed every game you are a solid player and i had a bit of run good on my side.

If you ever want to chew the fat and compare hand histories or anything else then drop me a message. Was great to see you being so chatty despite the way you were running, you dont often see that in poker.

This week was my return to sky and my aim is to hit the SS leaderboards for heads up by the end of the year and I see you are already up there so wp :)

Well played today and hope to chat to you soon mate

Chris
  • edited June 2014
  • edited July 2014
    Come on the steelbacks tonight!!!! http://postimg.org/image/ehingswc1/
    Posted by splashies
    Delayed satisfied smiley :)

Has to be only a matter of time until Mr Willey joins us up Norf.

I think we may be entering a period of Yorkshire domination, similar to the Surrey domination in the late 90s when they had half the England team. Butcher, Thorpe, Stewart, Ramprakash, Hollioake x2 as well as 3/4 top county pros, Ally Brown, Bicknell x2 etc.

It's a shame for England, Adam Lythe, but not so much for Yorkshire CCC that Sam Robson binked a century against Sri Lanka.

It's prolonged his stay at the top of the order, but he's nothing more than a younger version of Nick Compton, who of course got dropped within a couple of test matches of scoring back to back centuries. 

It's only a matter of time until Robson goes the same way, his age will probably buy him more time but his 1 dimensional 'dig in' style will come apart against any potent new ball attack. 

Won a £20 bet on the live show the other night, I've put it straight on Liam Plunkett to be the top (English) series wicket taker @ 9/2 (skybet)

He was by far Englands most threatening bowler against Sri Lanka, he has pace and bounce, even on docile wickets (plz groundsmen of England, no more!!!) which the Indians cope with notoriously badly.

He will be used to 'blow away' the tail. He's also the fittest and strongest of the England bowlers, Jimmy, Broad and Jordan all looked tired and/or injured v Sri Lanka so will likely be rested or get a niggle at some point.

Stokes will be fresh, and chip in, but despite being able to match Plunkett for pace, will be used as the 4th seemer and thrown the ball at difficult periods to tie up an end and break partnerships etc.

9/2 looks like a win bet to me !

Of course we have no spinner to threaten the bet.

As much as I like Matt Prior, I think with the make up of the England team at the moment, with Stokes (the Ashes 'hero') potentially coming in at number 8, (and then Plunkett 9, Broad 10) I think this is the perfect opportunity to blood Joss Butler.

Would be the first positive move the selectors have made for a while, it can only be good for England going forward. A 'statement of intent' maybe. New era, new positivity, a fresh approach and sign of attacking intent under a captain who's being heavily criticised for negative tactics.

If we can't score enough runs to compete with India with Ali 6, Stokes 7, Butler 8, Plunkett 9, Broad 10 then we might as well jack it in!

Anyway, enjoy the series. And if you're a neutral or a 'proper punter' the draw @ 6/4 looks a great bet, tomorrow will be washed out, bad forecast for Saturday, the pitches have been flatter than Fern Cottons chest, and with 1 or 2 exceptions 2 impotent bowling attacks trying to take 20 wickets against superior batting lineups.

Get On!
  • edited July 2014
    Have to balance the cricket post :- Poker.

We're back playing HU hyper sngs again!

Poker in June was very sporadic, playing all sorts of stuff, on lots of different sites with no real motivation or drive to grind, and therefore it was very difficult to gather any sort of momentum.

So I made the decision to try hard to crack hypers on the 'big site' this month.

I've played around 9,000 HU sngs on here (including the occasional RR to 'grind points' at the end of the month), with an ROI of just below 5%.

But each time I've tried to play elsewhere (albeit much smaller samples) I've lost money.

So before aimlessly flying in like before, depositing money like before, losing money like before, and coming out scratching my head wondering 'how?' like before, I wanted to try and figure out why it keeps happening.

10 minutes in to the first 'strategy' video I watched I have a long list of bullet points, things that I have or haven't done or even considered in the past that I need to start doing.

I get frustrated when players say there is no skill in short stacked poker, or that "it's easy, anyone can shove or fold".

Watching the video I realised how little even I, a self proclaimed 'competent' short stack player know about the hyper turbo format.

How I've managed to hold down a winning ROI on here with the rake as high as it is, playing as badly as I have, I'll never know.

If sky allowed tracking software I'm sure it would show me being thousands above expected value.

A frightening thought.

I've continued to watch and study a fair bit over this last week or so, started reading other forums, articles and blogs, and am making an effort to get 'in' with some HU sng players to help me improve.

I'm very motivated to do this, it's not really a money thing but it's something that's bugged me for a few years now. There aren't many challenges left for me at micro stakes, I've proven I can beat almost all micro levels at all formats across all sites, apart from HU sngs on 'the big one/s'.

As my sample size starts to get bigger I may go back to posting results from my tracker, showing profit/loss but more importantly in this case, my expected profit/loss according to the ev thing on the software.

We've had a mixed start.

2 moderate losing sessions, and 1 fairly big winning session, mean we're up a couple of buyins in week 1. (playing $7s and mainly $15s to begin with)

The volume hasn't been big, even by my standards, but that's because I'm using a fair bit of the time I would normally spend playing, to study. As I get more confident, the volume will increase and the sample size will soon start to become significant.

I joined a HU sng group on Skype once before, but stopped playing them very shortly after, so it never really got going. If anyone is interested in playing HU and would like to get something like this going again I'd welcome the help, pm me and I'll add you on Skype.

Also has anyone heard of a programme called 'Sharkystrator' ? Looks a really controversial piece of kit in terms of the old 'bu mhunting' 'is it terrible for poker?' debate......

But also really helpful if you're trying to improve your ROI !!!

Anyone any thoughts?

gl all grinding in July!
  • edited July 2014
    I've been grinding Hypers since the start of the year with a +roi, have spent a fair bit of time on improving my game but not nearly enough, what have you been using to watch/study the format? husng.com free vids has been my main source of vids, would be happy to get involved with some hand reviewing/sweat sessions again.
  • edited July 2014
    I've been grinding Hypers since the start of the year with a +roi, have spent a fair bit of time on improving my game but not nearly enough, what have you been using to watch/study the format? husng.com free vids has been my main source of vids, would be happy to get involved with some hand reviewing/sweat sessions again.
    Posted by benc
    It's been the free stuff on HUsng.com. 

The vid I mentioned in the previous post was only a very short clip by coffeeyay. 

If I'd watched that video without hearing his commentry/reasoning I would've thought it was Don playing or something, absolutely terrible. 

Which shows how little I know. 

I've also read tonnes of posts on the HUSNG section of 2+2 forum, and some other random videos I've found dotted about the internet. 

What I would really like to do is sit and review 2/3/4 games of either my own play or someone elses play v the same villain, I think that kind of intense session would be hugely beneficial, looking at every single hand. 

Probably best done on a hand replayer, or a video recording. 

Do you play on any other sites?

PT4 has a hand replayer built in to it, so I have all my the games I've ever played saved there. I've spoken to jordz via PM following his forum thread, and speak to Larson quite often on skype too. Would be awesome to get teddybloat in on it, as he is just a wizard and full of knowledge. Would be great if we could somehow all get on skype at the same time and make something happen. 

Determined to get the orange line going upwards! :D

• edited July 2014
    I only play on Sky, I have video recording software EZvid which i have to record sessions and watch back, I chat HU with Nickd, duonross and thoich alot but none of them play hypers at the moment so would be useful chatting to others that are regularly grinding them, my problem is i only ever try and work on my game when i'm having a rough patch want to try schedule regular study time irregardless. I rarely go on skype but if you get a group going again and we can all arrange a time when we are about post work etc i'll defo get involved, i have Alvez on fb as well and he has been keen to get involved in sweat sessions and stuff i'm sure between us all we would have some pretty interesting/different perspectives that would help us all improve.
  • edited July 2014
    I only play on Sky, I have video recording software EZvid which i have to record sessions and watch back, I chat HU with Nickd, duonross and thoich alot but none of them play hypers at the moment so would be useful chatting to others that are regularly grinding them, my problem is i only ever try and work on my game when i'm having a rough patch want to try schedule regular study time irregardless. I rarely go on skype but if you get a group going again and we can all arrange a time when we are about post work etc i'll defo get involved, i have Alvez on fb as well and he has been keen to get involved in sweat sessions and stuff i'm sure between us all we would have some pretty interesting/different perspectives that would help us all improve.
    Posted by benc
    Does he charge? <3

Recorded sessions are ideal. Most sky villains are straight forward though, if you have some reg battles saved they'd be perfect. 

Any reason why you don't play the big site? Sounds very hypocritical coming from me as I played HU here for ages but it's not a great idea for alot of reasons. 

• edited July 2014

Sounds like a great idea.

I've only really started looking over hands from hypers, it's amazing the amount of times I think why didn't I check/ bet, just small stuff, but the small stuff soon adds up!

Up for sweat sessions/ recording sessions. Had Capturewiz, used it a couple of times to record HU cash sessions, amazing what you pick up, including stuff like timing tells, but the freetrials expired:(.

Would be brilliant to have t/ bloat involved as well.

• edited July 2014
    LVG a genius for substituting his Goalies just before the shootout in the QF.

United have a genius coming to take over !!!

LVG a wally for letting his centre half take the first pen in the Semi Final.

ugh, bring back Moyes.

Each decision had very little, if any, impact on the result of either game.

Results orientated, much?

Punditry. Tilt.
  • edited July 2014

Day off today, so that's poker for the first half of the month complete.

It's been abit of a mixed bag, and sample sizes are still really small, but things are generally going ok.

Graphs for the month so far are below. (c&p into browser)

This month overall

http://oi57.tinypic.com/5a24wj.jpg

$7 games

http://oi61.tinypic.com/snnchu.jpg

$15 games

http://oi61.tinypic.com/dr36sk.jpg

Early thoughts.

I'm getting lucky.

Doh :(

But apart from that, I'm feeling comfortable in $15 games. There are very few opponents at this level that I decline rematches against. This has to be a positive and it's a really big deal for me to be able to say that and mean it :)

There are a lot of bad players!

The 'fish' are really over agro and spewy.

The 'regs' who play 2/3/4 tables are ridonkulously tight and exploitable.

Multi tablers are my favourite type of player to play against. Playing only 1 table gives me a big edge.

Having said that, learning to multi table is on my 'to do' list. At the moment I'd drop a lot of my 'edge' by adding a 2nd table, so it's a case of dropping down to $1.50 games and practising and moving back up through the levels again playing 2 at once.

That will take a lot of time, so it can wait for now.

Immediate plan is to keep grinding the $15s for the rest of the month and finish with a sample of />1,000 games.

It's really important that I keep working and studying hard though, I've started a Skype group and added a few people who I already had on there. At the moment it's just me talking to myself and dropping in HH's though :(

If anyone wants to jump in, lmk on here/pm or whatever.

The money I've made isn't much at all, and it looks even more paffetic in £'s, but I'm very encouraged by the orange line. Every single time I've tried HU on big sites it's been way below 0 (and the green line even more so).

If I can get through to the end of the month with the orange line above 0 then I'll be happy.

Haven't had a horrible session yet though, I know that is around the corner.

-----------------

Quick word on the cricket.

Grim.

Groundsman should be sacked.

The draw was nailed on despite the weather being much better than expected.

3 wickets for Plunkettt on the worst possible pitch for him isn't a bad start. The selectors need to keep the faith with him.

------------------

GL all for the 2nd half of July !

• edited July 2014
    Early thoughts. I'm getting lucky. Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Sounds about right, I heard your one of the luckiest players on the site!
  • edited July 2014

Just wondering why you stick to HU game. why do you not play cash for a larger win-rate?
  • edited July 2014
     Just wondering why you stick to HU game. why do you not play cash for a larger win-rate?
    Posted by 68Trebor
    Cash is hardddd.  

It's a grind, you have to play lots of tables, for long periods, and concentrate for the whole time. Tables are also hard work, loads of grinders who have more patience and discipline than me. I just get picked off too often, and cba to play their kind of game tbh. 

Still do alright when I play the occasional session, but don't fancy doing it session in, session out. I believe there's a rake race type thing on again this month too which doesn't help.

If I needed to make as much money as possible asap, I'd play cash though.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Cash is hardddd.   It's a grind, you have to play lots of tables, for long periods, and concentrate for the whole time. Tables are also hard work, loads of grinders who have more patience and discipline than me. I just get picked off too often, and cba to play their kind of game tbh.  Still do alright when I play the occasional session, but don't fancy doing it session in, session out. I believe there's a rake race type thing on again this month too which doesn't help. If I needed to make as much money as possible asap, I'd play cash though.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Still the best thread on Sky, congrats

If you decided to play cash seriously on Sky, how much would you say you could make /month putting in good volume?