You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Rancid and his Roll 2011 - (Diary of a losing recreational player making good)

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat
In Response to Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player):
it was an amount I could afford to lose
Thats always good to hear, have no respect for people gambling with money they need.

Best of luck Rancid, you'll be back in profit (On Sky) in no time : )

Comments

• edited June 2013

WARNING: THIS IS A BUMP........as requested

bumps..... someone asked me to link this so I thought I would bump it...

Memories....

First Diary I started on here and a challenge I had with myself is now 2 years past.

Have I acheived it, well yes....playing low limit cash nl20-nl50 and binking the odd MTT so you could say two years persistant learning has paid off.

Is this just a brag..well yes.... but it's a true indication that you can start as a loosing player and with enough determination you can get to where you want to be.
    So if your just starting out, keep going.
    run golden

It would seem the craze on this forum is to post diary’s, so I thought what I need Is a frank and honest diary to keep me focused on not becoming the player I once was and carry on with the upward momentum of my roll. Most of you know me from the forums, mostly the clinic and frankly I am a changed man from the losing recreational player I once was.

Hopefully you will find this slightly amusing or someone may actually benefit from this insight into the world of an online losing poker player.

Background

My first deposit on Sky was £30 on the 15/8/2009.  Before this from 2008 onwards I was playing on another site with a little roll and also playing live cash and pub poker. Some night’s in the pub would be good, sit down with £10 and go home with £100+.  I have no idea if I am up or down live because as a recreational player you just never keep tabs.  

So as said above I discovered Sky, purely because I was playing at a project poker league venue and won an entry into the £22 Bounty Hunter event. This started the downward spiral of online dumping. I would on a regular basis dump £30-£50 on Sky each month, it was an amount I could afford to lose – so I lost it.

Load up money, play with 50% of my roll, have a little joy but in the end 3weeks, 4weeks or maybe 6 weeks later – reload and start again. I had no bankroll management, I didn’t need it did I – I could afford to lose!  So I went on like this and by May 2011 I had dumped £740 on the site since my first deposit on 15/8/2009. I could afford to lose this right, according to my missus – NO!

But when I returned home from a live game with £100+, she loved it right but when she see my credit card statement – not too happy. I am sure some of you can relate )

So the date was 22/05/2011, I had a good read up and started to incorporate BRM. My main thoughts were, win at cash and this will finance my MTT hobby.

I was not thinking about making money, for me it’s a hobby, something I like to do, so I needed a way to pay for my MTT’ games and maybe one day I’ll win the big one and shut the missus up. So I load up £80, play 4NL and stick to the 5% rule.  Did not go too well, I was playing like I see them do on the TV init!

Decided I needed to change my strategy at NL4 so read up and play tight you fool, reload £80 on 18/6/2011 and here we go………………………

Went ok I was winning, I got my roll up to about £200.

Poker is great, life is great, missus doesn’t moan anymore. Seriously what could go wrong?

VARIANCE – My roll dives down to £40, this hurt like anything.

Surprising how quickly you can lose 30-40 bi’s.

Slowly grinded this back up, hard slog and by October I am back up to £200 and into NL8, and then up further to £320.

Hit a rocky spell in November diving into NL10 and I am down to £250. Bit dejected I enter the mini primo last Sunday and boom,  3rd place, £180, thank you very much poker gods.

Current BR £432

Key Lesson: BRM, it changes everything 

Now it might seem like it’s a very good increase from the original £80 but in reality I am down £463 on Sky. Overall I am up in poker both live and online but the truth is out there somewhere.

Currently I am playing NL4/8/10 cash and also play MTT/DYMS/SNG  

I still use the 2-5% rule and my roll is not divided up between formats. I also do not keep tabs on my live roll, maybe I should.

Lets just see how we go from here, at least the missus is happy )

I will update on a regular basis, show some hands if there's enough intrest and see how things develop.

Hopefully with this being in the public eye, I will have a focus and not go and play the primo or NL50 and such like and blow my roll.

Current roll £437

C4P 1237

Targets 

Rise through cash levels and find a level where I can win on a regular basis so I can withdraw and give the 

missus a few quid to keep her happy.

Need new shoes for the kids this week ? - "no problem love" )

Car needs servicing ?  "I'll just go and clear Dohhhh out for a couple of hundred" )

Holiday this year ?  "I'll just go and win the primo, won't be long" 

Ambition, overated !!

:D

• edited November 2011
    Best of luck, nice story.
  • edited November 2011
    Good luck dude, look forward to reading this.
  • edited November 2011
    Nice read! I know the "better half" situation really well. LOL!

good luck with it m8, you certainly are one I try to avoid at nl4! I'm sure you'll be in overall profit on Sky in no time. Just go easy on me when you see me at nl8 (if I can find a table!! It might be straight to nl10. gulp!).
  • edited November 2011
    rancid your storey is similar to 90% of recreational players (including myself). hope it goes well for you and i will keep an eye out for you on the cash tables. gl phil
  • edited November 2011
    Interesting read mate.

You seem to have a pretty good grasp of the game from clinic posts etc so shouldn't find it hard getting back the money that your down on, but of course only if you keep to those dreaded BRM rules.

I see you have the 2-5% one for everything, I currently use that for cash and it works fine but I would really advise if you're ever playing MTT's regulary you decrease that to 1% or even less as you can go LONG periods without cashing as you know and you need to be sure you NEVER think about the BI.

Good luck though mate, keep us updated :)
  • edited November 2011
    good luck bud,nice read.
  • edited November 2011
    Day 1

Nothing much to report, got online about 20:00 played some £2 & £3 DYM's and the mini bounty hunter.
    Knocked out early in the BH and won 3 out of 7 DYM's.
    My pairs wouldn't hold at all in both so hey ho down a bit there.
    Played some NL4/NL8 after the BH and brought it back to break even, ended session at midnight.

Starting roll £437
    C4P 1237

-
    Current roll £439
    C4P
  • edited November 2011
    You've always seemed like a good guy bud.

Wish all the best sir.
  • edited November 2011
    Day 2

PLayed mini open - Started out well then see hand below for horrible outdraw
    pretty standard suxors when I busted - see clinic
    Also played a £3 BH, exit hand below

2/3 tables of NL8/NL10 - Up to £455 then crash hit 3 bumps in the road
    Didn't really play my best, donked off some money for no good reason (bit tired and tipsy)
    the only plus was my bluff catching was spot on

Tired offline at 1am

Starting roll £437
    C4P 1237

-
    Current roll £428
    C4P 1342
    -

Mini open suckage
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    rancid Small blind   25.00 25.00 3185.00
    PgdL Big blind   50.00 75.00 4637.50
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • K

julietv Call   50.00 125.00 357.50
    sansue22 Raise   150.00 275.00 1685.00
    chewyman Fold        
    1-DAY Call   150.00 425.00 3497.50
    rancid Call   125.00 550.00 3060.00
    PgdL Fold        
    julietv Call   100.00 650.00 257.50
    Flop

• K
    • K

rancid Bet   325.00 975.00 2735.00
    julietv Fold        
    sansue22 All-in   1685.00 2660.00 0.00
    1-DAY Fold        
    rancid Call   1360.00 4020.00 1375.00
    rancid Show
    • Q
    • K

sansue22 Show
    • A

Turn

River

• J

sansue22 Win Flush to the Ace 4020.00   4020.00
    £3 BH Exit
    Mummysboy Small blind   75.00 75.00 7315.00
    rancid Big blind   150.00 225.00 2442.50
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

COL2K Fold        
    RAY12 Call   150.00 375.00 5107.50
    eggead Fold        
    bampfers Fold        
    Mummysboy Call   75.00 450.00 7240.00
    rancid Raise   600.00 1050.00 1842.50
    RAY12 Call   600.00 1650.00 4507.50
    Mummysboy Fold        
    Flop

• J
    • Q

rancid All-in   1842.50 3492.50 0.00
    RAY12 Call   1842.50 5335.00 2665.00
    rancid Show
    • Q
    • A

RAY12 Show
    • J
    • Q

Turn

River

RAY12 Win Two Pairs, Queens and Jacks 5335.00   8000.00
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player):
    Day 2 PLayed mini open - busted out see clinic - pretty standard suxors 2/3 tables of NL8/NL10 - Up to £455 then crash hit 3 bumps in the road Didn't really play my best, donked off some money for no good reason (bit tired and tipsy) the only plus was my bluff catching was spot on Tired offline at 1am Starting roll £437 C4P 1237 - Current roll £428 C4P 1342
    Posted by rancid
    Hey Rancid,

Seen you on a 4NL table tonight, only stayed for a short time after you joined but did you like that hand. 56Q flop, I've got 66, guy with AQ bets, I raise, he calls, turn is a 5 to give me the house and he just open shoves for about 75BBs... why did I ever leave the cash tables? lol
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player) : Hey Rancid, Seen you on a 4NL table tonight, only stayed for a short time after you joined but did you like that hand. 56Q flop, I've got 66, guy with AQ bets, I raise, he calls, turn is a 5 to give me the house and he just open shoves for about 75BBs... why did I ever leave the cash tables? lol
    Posted by Lambert180
    Bit of blur tbh ) Only remember doubling up then losing it all the very next hand on a NL8 table......

Pokers a horrible game

nn
  • edited November 2011
    3rd day Noonish very small lunchtime session while the baby is sleeping )

1x £3 DYM - grrrrr starting to hate em - out on bubble

Just played NL4 for a bit, up a little - last hand below - why can't they just have the flush ?

Starting roll £437
    C4P 1237

-
    Current roll £432
    C4P 1369

FrankstaH Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £1.38
    stevedore Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £0.40
      Your hole cards

Woldulp Raise   £0.16 £0.22 £2.46
    sidzei Call   £0.16 £0.38 £2.23
    kidwelly Fold        
    rancid Call   £0.16 £0.54 £3.26
    FrankstaH Fold        
    stevedore Fold        
    Flop

Woldulp Bet   £0.27 £0.81 £2.19
    sidzei Fold        
    rancid Call   £0.27 £1.08 £2.99
    Turn

Woldulp Check        
    rancid Bet   £0.36 £1.44 £2.63
    Woldulp Call   £0.36 £1.80 £1.83
    River

Woldulp All-in   £1.83 £3.63 £0.00
    rancid Call   £1.83 £5.46 £0.80
    Woldulp Show

rancid Show

Woldulp Win Full House, 10s and 6s £5.05   £5.05
  • edited November 2011
    good strory yeah brm is great the most important thing in poker playing withiing ya roll means u can play fearless and dnt mind a loss now n then if u playing out of ya bankroll u get nervous and cant afford to lose and we all know scared money nevr wins u could hit a dream flop and and get sucked out and bang goes all your bankroll i cant really talk i tilt really easy then blow my money on roullette lool i talk good advice but never do what i should be doing and thats play small tables and small mtts with £100 or so 
  • edited November 2011
    Day 3 Evening

2 MTT's - no cashes
    NL4/8 cash, slow grind
    May just play mini primo & rock n roll at NL10 tomorrow, see if I can spin up to £500

Starting roll £437
    C4P 1237

-
    Current roll £445
    C4P 1441
  • edited November 2011
    day4

Lunchtime special at NL4, thought it may just bump me up a bit winning some ez money
     wish I never bothered
    Ran 2nd nuts into nuts a few times

17/11/2011 Starting roll £437
    C4P 1237

-
    Current roll £424
    C4P 1469
    -
    Just came online at 20:00, playing the mini primo and 2x NL4 to bump the cash up a bit

• edited November 2011
    day 4

Went out the mini primo early, played the exit hand so badly
    Went out the BH on the bubble, pair did not hold up

NL4/8 Cash
    Could not win a hand today - river was not my friend and to compound things I played badly. Going to look through some hands tomorrow and be back onlline Tuesday/Wednesday. Going out Monday so few beers and some live poker. Not going to post any hands from this seesion as bad beats and bad play are a bit boring )

17/11/2011 Starting roll £437
    C4P 1237

-
    Current roll £408
    C4P 1518

• edited November 2011

Day 5

No online poker today, just reflecting on yesterday’s session’s

Decided not to play anymore DYM/MTT/SNG and just concentrate on cash for a few days. Played 2 DYM, 3 MTT yesterday, which put me down even before I started playing cash.

The cash session yesterday was actually a break even session even with the bad play and bad beats so……

Not all doom and gloom as thought yesterday night.

Must add…. Gotta stop c/c so much and bet versus obvious stations where I’m missing getting it in with +ev, even though they outdraw me

Feel like Adrian mole , if you don’t know – get to know ) Google that Legend

What is wrong with the hand below, answers on a postcard

meals Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £10.09
    sebula Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £10.85
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

rancid Raise   £0.20 £0.26 £3.78
    jugglegeek Fold        
    zappa12 Call   £0.20 £0.46 £3.54
    meals Fold        
    sebula Fold        
    Flop

• Q

rancid Check        
    zappa12 Bet   £0.20 £0.66 £3.34
    rancid Raise   £0.63 £1.29 £3.15
    zappa12 Call   £0.43 £1.72 £2.91
    Turn

rancid Bet   £1.28 £3.00 £1.87
    zappa12 Call   £1.28 £4.28 £1.63
    River

• Q

rancid All-in   £1.87 £6.15 £0.00
    zappa12 All-in   £1.63 £7.78 £0.00
    rancid Unmatched bet   £0.24 £7.54 £0.24
    rancid Show
    • K
    • K

zappa12 Show
    • Q
    • A

zappa12 Win Three Queens £6.97   £6.97
  • edited November 2011
    Why do you open check on flop ?
  • edited November 2011
    Why do you open check on flop ?
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    for the c/r to get more money in pot - dry flop
  • edited November 2011
    What was wrong with the hand was that he got lucky and rivered you. I'd probably raise bigger pre (although in this case it wont make much of a difference), check raise is fine if you're pretty confident they're gonna bet, cos you don't wanna miss out on a bet. Turn is fine, it's a pretty dry board anyway, you'd be loving it if you knew he had AQ. River just stinks but you need to get it in.
  • edited November 2011
    What was wrong with the hand was that he got lucky and rivered you. I'd probably raise bigger pre (although in this case it wont make much of a difference), check raise is fine if you're pretty confident they're gonna bet, cos you don't wanna miss out on a bet. Turn is fine, it's a pretty dry board anyway, you'd be loving it if you knew he had AQ. River just stinks but you need to get it in.
    Posted by Lambert180
    5x not big enough :()

Do we lead on a dry flop with such a big hand and very possibly get worse to fold or get called and go to turn with a smaller pot
    Or
    Do we check letting worse and bluffs bet
    Not that I know oppo has a Q but it's in the range, but the bet give me a good idea about oppo's hand

Do we have to shove river because it's very obvious oppo has a VERY possible Q

• edited November 2011
    At NL4 I generally just do my own betting, unless you have pretty decent reads he will bet if checked to, it's risky as he checks behind and you again lose street of value. Also check raising is pretty powerful and on that board he can only call with Qx or better, obvz he has perfect hand here, overall though I prefer standard cbet then bet turn strong and if you bet right amounts river hsould be close to shove.

As played river is tough because as you said flop is arid so to call a c/r then strong turn bet can he do that with 99/1010/JJ ? You have half-pot bet left but it's still 40bb to lose which is sizeable maybe it's just one of those horror cards like an Ace falling that you have to check and hope for check behind.
  • edited November 2011
    At NL4 I generally just do my own betting, unless you have pretty decent reads he will bet if checked to, it's risky as he checks behind and you again lose street of value. Also check raising is pretty powerful and on that board he can only call with Qx or better, obvz he has perfect hand here, overall though I prefer standard cbet then bet turn strong and if you bet right amounts river hsould be close to shove. As played river is tough because as you said flop is arid so to call a c/r then strong turn bet can he do that with 99/1010/JJ ? You have half-pot bet left but it's still 40bb to lose which is sizeable maybe it's just one of those horror cards like an Ace falling that you have to check and hope for check behind.
    Posted by Dudeskin8

Are we just turning our hand into a bluff on the river ?

Oppo is never folding a Q here so…..maybe JJ pays off – does AA fold

How can I c/f river, only worse checks behind surely

Don’t see how I get away tbh

Anyway how you doing, back playing NL20 yet ?

• edited November 2011
    Could have another shot right now (Cash BR - £443) but just ain't got the will power to grind cash so am sticking to MTT's which I enjoy a lot more, they're also going well in tems of cashes etc which helps lol. Will return to cash eventually when I get the bug but just need a rest now.

On the NL20 thing aren't you close to trying it out ?
  • edited November 2011
    Could have another shot right now (Cash BR - £443) but just ain't got the will power to grind cash so am sticking to MTT's which I enjoy a lot more, they're also going well in tems of cashes etc which helps lol. Will return to cash eventually when I get the bug but just need a rest now. On the NL20 thing aren't you close to trying it out ?
    Posted by Dudeskin8

I am not in any rush, want to beat NL10 first 

• edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player) : Are we just turning our hand into a bluff on the river ? Oppo is never folding a Q here so…..maybe JJ pays off – does AA fold How can I c/f river, only worse checks behind surely Don’t see how I get away tbh Anyway how you doing, back playing NL20 yet ?
    Posted by rancid
    You just answered your own question, if you think he only checks behind with worse, than you think he's probably beating you if he bets.

But i'm a station so I would prob never fold this : )
  • edited November 2011

In Response to Re: Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player) : You just answered your own question, if you think he only checks behind with worse, than you think he's probably beating you if he bets. But i'm a station so I would prob never fold this : )

Posted by Poker_Fail

Indeed how can I get away, c/f init – oppo can never be bluffing here given previous action – like one of them hands when you say omg what a bad beat, terrible outdraw but you always have the option to get away. I feel, correct me if I am wrong, this is a major difference between the good and the great players !!

It’s hard though, when a lot of money has gone in already compared to stacks.

But a correct fold will always save you money over the long term.

• edited November 2011
     Just returned from a small stay at another site, will follow with interest, good luck.
    Nice thread title by the way, sure I have seen it somewhere before, LOL.
  • edited November 2011
    yours was the original trebor!