You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Rancid and his Roll 2011 - (Diary of a losing recreational player making good)

Comments

• edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player):
    yours was the original trebor!
    Posted by pod1
    Yeh his was mint! :)
  • edited November 2011
    Great thread and i hope you do really well sir.

Imo though, i think poker can be a very personal (and cruel) game sometimes, and when i used to treat it as a hobby, i always thought of it like this:

"If i lose money, im paying for my entertainment. If i break-even or win, i get it for free, or get paid to have fun!"

Relying on being a winning player is a lot to ask both of yourself and of the poker-gods. Plus, putting pressure on yourself to please the missus (imo) isn't going to be all dandelions and butterflies either!
    People outside of poker don't really understand what the game can be like sometimes, and it'd be so painful for you to feel like you have to win and taking you eyes of what poker is really about. ENJOYING YOURSELF :)

Too many players nowadays think they can make it out there and be consistant winners. I'm not saying you can't, i'm just saying be cautious, and take it with a pinch of salt. If you win, brilliant. If you lose, c'est la vie!

Finally... ummm, the KK hand you posted? Was... trying to say it nicely but... butchered? :P

You 5x'd it pre telling everyone you had a monster (acceptable at lower stakes though because people arn't too observant)
    You proceeded to try and check-raise a VERY dry board with an overpair (again telling people you have a monster) when there's absolutely no reason to protect your hand on a board like that (as well as giving him the chance to take a free card and scare the sh... out of you if an A peels.)
    You then bomb the river on the card which is the absolute worst for your hand. Do you think he calls you down with JJ there?? You virtually beat nothing on the river yet still shove because, well, you have kings! Sigh :P

Only saying all that coz i'd like to see you succeed out there sir, and wish you all the best.

GL at the tables,
    Cheers,
    Carlos Smitalos

EDIT: Sorry if i came across brash, all this is only my opinion sir, and as said, i wouldn't be writing all that if i didn't like the 'cut of your jip'! JOLLY GOOD THREAD SIR.
  • edited November 2011
    Nice thread Rancid, best of luck 
  • edited November 2011
    Good luck mate.
    Hope you crush the tables and start moving up. But without taking any of my money obviously
  • edited November 2011

Thanks for the kind words people

@ Smitalos

Yes I enjoy my poker 1st , before winning and pleasing the missus )

Saying I butchered the hand is kinda harsh, if I get an indication that oppo is game then I know at this level the c/r will not look ultra strong because they are not laying down top pair so I can get more money in the pot

Anyway since when as checking so oppo puts money in the pot deemed to be bad ?

We should never be scared of being outdrawn imo, I can’t see any reason to protect my hand.

Leading out is probably pretty standard so I understand where your at sir at higher levels no doubt and it’s good for balance in the long run.

Lets not talk about the river, bit of a sore subject with me at the moment )

Shove is down to stack sizes tbh but I still don’t love it, if deeper I can get away.

What I see in this hand is an oppo who is passive and I can’t see how we don’t get it in on the flop/turn. No Q on river and oppo is stacking right ! 

Overall it's not my standard line but I think it's not that bad, opinions welcome as always.

• edited November 2011
    quick update

Played a little NL4/8, improved from last session but still played 2 MTT's, 1 DYM , no cash  - slap wrist 
    Going to stop playing NL4, DYM, and just play NL8 and reduce the number of MTT's I play for a while.
    See how I get on because it plays the same at softer tables.

wish me luck

17/11/2011 Starting roll £437 
    C4P 1237

-
    Current roll £421
    C4P 1610
  • edited November 2011

update - cash only NL4/NL8
    playing 2x NL8 - 1X NL4

Creeping back up again, silly session by me, going great then lost three hands where I should have got so far involved, o well £16 lost rarther than gained !! :S Lesson needs a learning - DROP THE EGO

C4P 1237

-
    Current roll £427
    C4P 1649
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player) :   Indeed how can I get away, c/f init – oppo can never be bluffing here given previous action – like one of them hands when you say omg what a bad beat, terrible outdraw but you always have the option to get away. I feel, correct me if I am wrong, this is a major difference between the good and the great players !! It’s hard though, when a lot of money has gone in already compared to stacks. But a correct fold will always save you money over the long term.
    Posted by rancid
    Completely agree, I would RARELY get away from a spot like this, but it does seem to be a bit of a -EV spot

Why are you playing NL8 with over £400? when are you panning to move up?

Good luck, i would be surprised not to see you at NL20+ soon : )
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player) : Completely agree, I would RARELY get away from a spot like this, but it does seem to be a bit of a -EV spot Why are you playing NL8 with over £400? when are you panning to move up? Good luck, i would be surprised not to see you at NL20+ soon : )
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    I am a BR nit ) NL20 is a long way off, plus I would have to iron out some leaks first !
    I prefer to beat the level on a consistent basis then move up.
    So if I need to move back down again, winning would not be a problem.

• edited November 2011
     Just returned from a small stay at another site, will follow with interest, good luck. Nice thread title by the way, sure I have seen it somewhere before, LOL.
    Posted by 68Trebor
    Lets hope he runs like you too!!    ;)
  • edited November 2011
    update - cash only NL4/NL8 playing 2x NL8 - 1X NL4 Creeping back up again, silly session by me, going great then lost three hands where I should have got so far involved, o well £16 lost rarther than gained !! :S Lesson needs a learning - DROP THE EGO 17/11/2011 Starting roll £437   C4P 1237 - Current roll  £427 C4P  1649
    Posted by rancid
    was watching for a bit last night while waiting for a table and you seemed to be going great
    the table I was watching did have a few loose/agro players from the short time I watched.
    must have been a cooler as you were showing restraint. think it was the nl4 one.
    good luck m8

By the way, do you ever play during the day rather than evening as I am having difficulty getting a nl8 table and was wondering as to the standard?
    is nl10 similar to nl8/nl4? is it worth by-passing nl8?
    my roll is a bit less than yours.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player) : I am a BR nit ) NL20 is a long way off, plus I would have to iron out some leaks first ! I prefer to beat the level on a consistent basis then move up. So if I need to move back down again, winning would not be a problem.
    Posted by rancid
    What ever suits you then, I am one of the worst for BRM : )

I personally think NL20 is easier than NL10 + 8, but that might just be because I have no patience and like to 3bet a lot with junk (And noone folds at those levels!!) :D

Good luck!
  • edited November 2011
    do you ever play during the day rather than evening as I am having difficulty getting a nl8 table and was wondering as to the standard? is nl10 similar to nl8/nl4? is it worth by-passing nl8? my roll is a bit less than yours.
    Posted by walesboy

No I work during the day ) well sometimes !! I have heard it's nutz or nothing during the day, play is so tight.
    I would say NL8/NL10 are very similar, it's not the level so much but the table selection
    Don't play the TAG REGS, find some tables with wide/passive/loose players
    Because most tables are full just join all waiting lists and as they come up accept or decline, or identify the tables you want to join and watch-wait

I do think NL10 has more TAG REGS, if you do find a soft table it's like printing money, unless they suck out on you )

• edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player) : What ever suits you then, I am one of the worst for BRM : ) I personally think NL20 is easier than NL10 + 8, but that might just be because I have no patience and like to 3bet a lot with junk (And noone folds at those levels!!) :D Good luck!
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Easier :) Put me down for £20 then )
  • edited November 2011

Just returned from a small stay at another site, will follow with interest, good luck. Nice thread title by the way, sure I have seen it somewhere before, LOL.
    Posted by 68Trebor

Lets hope he runs like you too!!    ;)

Yeah, sry about that Dohhhh, played it terrible. Got lucky, c'est la poker.
  • edited November 2011
    Played some NL8/NL10

Nothing much to report
    Found NL10 to be very slow, NL8 seems to be more laggy
    Any tips on beating NL10 would be nice, finding it very slow and a lot of cold decks/coolers
    Seems to be filled with TAG REGS waiting for hands
    Very tempting to go back to NL4, so much easier )

Played a couple of MTT's - no cash - getting no breaks in MTT's at the moment
    Undecided about tonight, may play mini open and NL8 and search for soft NL10 tables !!
    May just rock n roll and if I fly upwards then great, if I fall below 400 then at least I tried )

C4P 1237

-
    Current roll £422
    C4P 1699

Biggest losing hand

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    The_hedge Small blind   £0.04 £0.04 £2.14
    rancid Big blind   £0.08 £0.12 £12.34
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

gavsta6926 Fold        
    neilsan Call   £0.08 £0.20 £8.96
    kernow44 Raise   £0.16 £0.36 £6.66
    The_hedge Call   £0.12 £0.48 £2.02
    rancid Raise   £0.40 £0.88 £11.94
    neilsan Call   £0.40 £1.28 £8.56
    kernow44 Fold        
    The_hedge Call   £0.32 £1.60 £1.70
    Flop

• A

The_hedge Check        
    rancid Bet   £1.20 £2.80 £10.74
    neilsan All-in   £8.56 £11.36 £0.00
    The_hedge All-in   £1.70 £13.06 £0.00
    rancid Call   £7.36 £20.42 £3.38
    The_hedge Show
    • A

rancid Show
    • Q
    • A

neilsan Show

Turn

River

• J

neilsan Win Flush to the Jack £19.02   £19.02

• edited November 2011
      Ambition, overated !! :D
    Posted by rancid

Definately not - Ony just ead it - GL with it
  • edited November 2011
    Most annoying hand
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    rancid Small blind   £0.04 £0.04 £8.68
    oran Big blind   £0.08 £0.12 £8.94
      Your hole cards

philc8502 Call   £0.08 £0.20 £4.77
    Strider_78 Fold        
    rancid Call   £0.04 £0.24 £8.64
    oran Check        
    Flop

rancid Bet   £0.18 £0.42 £8.46
    oran Raise   £0.36 £0.78 £8.58
    philc8502 Fold        
    rancid Raise   £1.14 £1.92 £7.32
    oran Call   £0.96 £2.88 £7.62
    Turn

• K

rancid Check        
    oran Bet   £1.44 £4.32 £6.18
    rancid Call   £1.44 £5.76 £5.88
    River

rancid Check        
    oran Bet   £4.32 £10.08 £1.86
    rancid Fold        
    oran Muck        
    oran Win   £5.32   £7.18
    oran Return   £4.32 £0.44 £11.50
  • edited November 2011
    I'da bet t'turn ......
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player) : No I work during the day ) well sometimes !! I have heard it's nutz or nothing during the day, play is so tight. I would say NL8/NL10 are very similar, it's not the level so much but the table selection Don't play the TAG REGS, find some tables with wide/passive/loose players Because most tables are full just join all waiting lists and as they come up accept or decline, or identify the tables you want to join and watch-wait I do think NL10 has more TAG REGS, if you do find a soft table it's like printing money, unless they suck out on you )
    Posted by rancid
    so do I!! it is nice being your own boss!
    thanks for the response m8
    good luck
  • edited November 2011
    I'da b et t'turn ......
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Thinking it’s ok to make up here from the SB

I find the flat to my flop raise really annoying, I have no notes on this player

Have no idea if oppo is good to enough to float me on flop, I very much doubt that kind of float at this level !

Flat can only mean draw ? Why does oppo not want to get it in on flop :S

Yeah b/f turn is best, even thinking c/r turn but then I am bluffing right so I opted to c/c and maybe fill up or get oppo to slow down because oppo could have a K right ?

• edited November 2011
    read, noted, realised i was like a car fuel up run down fuel up etc etc being a recreational player ie no notes no brm is as stupid as our politicians, looked up sharkscope man am i bad, so from now on im going limit myself to 6 pints and 1 bottle of red on a poker night, cheers for showing me the errors of my way oh obi wan k rancid good luck always cept against a new me lol
  • edited November 2011
    read, noted, realised i was like a car fuel up run down fuel up etc etc being a recreational player ie no notes no brm is as stupid as our politicians, looked up sharkscope man am i bad, so from now on im going limit myself to 6 pints and 1 bottle of red on a poker night, cheers for showing me the errors of my way oh obi wan k rancid good luck always cept against a new me lol
    Posted by ryderroo

Is this sarcasm or irony - just not sure - but thanks for popping by )
  • edited November 2011
    NO SARCASM MEANT! As i said just didnt realise how easy it is to offload a tenner here and there, a couple of beers, her that must be obeyed out, two hours to kill enter mug punter!! thx for quick reply cheers 
  • edited November 2011
    Played mini open, nothing much doing

3xNL8 - started badly down to around £400 - binked set J's v AA and started to run better
    Had FH's and Quads but no pay day v 250 bb stack, what the hell are they flatting 3 bets with :S
    Better table selection so it paid off, too many shorties though - pain  when you see they have not got full stacks
    Just need to cut out some leaks early, seem to be in rush early on in the seesion to get something going

C4P 1237

-
    Current roll £434
    C4P 1758
  • edited November 2011
    played 1x NL8 while making photo calendars for the family for xmas )

The sooner I reach 2000 points the better, looking a bit tight :S

C4P 1237

-
    Current roll £449
    C4P 1764
  • edited November 2011
    just got to my 2000 pts last night! wiiii. £+940 for the mnth. best mnth in ..... well ever!   phil oops wrong thread, thought it was november profit thingy.
  • edited November 2011
    just got to my 2000 pts last night! wiiii. £+940 for the mnth. best mnth in ..... well ever!   phil oops wrong thread, thought it was november profit thingy.
    Posted by pod1
    Good going ) Specsavers are open !!
  • edited November 2011
    i might take you up on that rancid, think thats why i up the font size, ohh and to p is  s jj off
  • edited November 2011
    Quick update

Playing mainly NL8/10
    some MTT's no cash, couple of DYM's -
    I know I said I would not play DYM/MTT, but I just can't help it )
    I guess I just need something to break up the grind, and it does stop the boredom
    Funny thing is if did not play any MTT/DYM I would be another £20 up
    But hey this is why I started playing cash in the first place, to finace my MTT's
    Speculate to acumalate and all that jazz

C4P 1237

-
    Current roll £471
    C4P 1885