You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Rancid and his Roll 2011 - (Diary of a losing recreational player making good)

1234568»

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Well done matey, great to see a forum REG working up and achieving their goal :).

My advice would be to keep going up to £1000 and then just skim off anything over that you make each week, this also gives you 50 BI's at NL20 which should be plenty to sit with 100bbs over say 2-3 tables, and also obviously give you 100 BI's at NL10.

On the NL10 just wondered if you keep detailed spreadsheets for each discipline to know where your most profit comes from so you know where best to play etc.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: *******Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player making good)************:
    Well done matey, great to see a forum REG working up and achieving their goal :). My advice would be to keep going up to £1000 and then just skim off anything over that you make each week, this also gives you 50 BI's at NL20 which should be plenty to sit with 100bbs over say 2-3 tables, and also obviously give you 100 BI's at NL10. On the NL10 just wondered if you keep detailed spreadsheets for each discipline to know where your most profit comes from so you know where best to play etc.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Cheers,

Na only ss I have is for DYM's, no records of cash.
    Can work out what I have made in cash but that's across all levels
    I was thinking about this the other day and thought maybe I should start recording per cash level.

And yeah I am sure I read someone, may DOHHHHHHHHHHHHH mention £1000 and then skim off.
    But can't remember what levels he was talking about.

Good advice

Thanks

• edited January 2012
    well done m8
    why change a winning formula?
    I'd get to 1000 then take a bit out to treat yourself.
  • edited January 2012
    just read your 1st post
    for the 1st time,
    (don,t know why, but never got around
    to reading it b4.)
    i didn,t realise the situation of you
    trying to win back your first losses.

think you,ve done really really well,
    and it just goes to show what can b achieved
    if you put your mind to something
    and approach it in the correct manner.

good 4 you.

good luck(not that u need a great deal,it would seem)
    and sure you will only go from strength to strength from here,
    whichever route you decide to take!

best wishes rancid,

devon

• edited January 2012

Cheers,

I like to think this thread is a good example of a recreational player changing to a winning player by simply using correct BRM and looking to improve by simply putting the effort in and realising that you do need to improve if your losing long term.

Starting out with an £80 deposit in June 2011, using the 5% BRM strategy playing NL4 and once reaching £100 playing low level MTT’s, shows how anyone with an understanding of the game can also do this by simply playing ABC poker.

It also shows how variance and bad beats/outdraws can affect you and how wins or loses in the short term mean nothing to your long term profitability playing poker.

If anyone reads this and thinks, I can do that – then all is good.

Maybe this thread will motivate and encourage recreational or semi serious players to keep the faith through all the bad times they have had in poker.

I wish you all the best if you attempt to make good your loses.

I am about done with this thread.

If anyone wants to post here regarding playing micro limits and attempting to move there BR in the right direction then please post here and I will offer my advice for what it’s worth.

All the best and run golden

My last update

DYM – ran like a one legged giraffe last night, couldn’t win

Cash – up and down – ended up £7 in profit

Profit is always better than a lose, however small

Current roll 20/1/2012
    £930
    C4P 1611

Ps. If I drop below I will have to return, let’s all hope this doesn’t happen )

• edited January 2012

Err, when did you last play ABC poker?

Excellent thread and great tosee you are now in profit.

I am sure that this will have motivated and inspired many micro players.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: *******Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player making good)************:
      Err, when did you last play ABC poker?   Excellent thread and great tosee you are now in profit.   I am sure that this will have motivated and inspired many micro players.
    Posted by pomfrittes

Most of my profit in cash & MTT’s comes from playing very straight forward tight ABC hold em

The majority of money I lost was not playing ABC and playing versus tight Regs playing ABC

These are facts

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: *******Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player making good)************ : Most of my profit in cash & MTT’s comes from playing very straight forward tight ABC hold em   The majority of money I lost was not playing ABC and playing versus tight Regs playing ABC   These are facts
    Posted by rancid
    Am I the only person who sees this sentence and reads it in a Spanish Accent?

• edited June 2013
    bumps..... someone asked me to link this so I thought I would bump it...

Memories....

First Diary I started on here and a challenge I had with myself is now 2 years past.

Have I acheived it, well yes....playing low limit cash nl20-nl50 and binking the odd MTT so you could say two years persistant learning has paid off.

Is this just a brag..well yes.... but it's a true indication that you can start as a loosing player and with enough determination you can get to where you want to be.

So if your just starting out, keep going.

run golden
  • edited June 2013
    Just had a browse through this, wasn't really involved in the forum at the time so i only know you as a nl20+ player  taking down the rebuy every other day lol interesting to see your journey and a good read.