You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Rancid and his Roll 2011 - (Diary of a losing recreational player making good)

Comments

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player):
    That guy with the quads should never be checking that river
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    true :D
  • edited January 2012

Update played the DTD last night, finished deep but felt I played it too cute or maybe just bad! and payed the price with two outdraws

I guess even though I was correct in my thinking, still best to bash the all in button sometimes )

Finishing positions: 20   39  15

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    rancid Small blind   800.00 800.00 23445.00
    STOCKY8A1 Big blind   1600.00 2400.00 15652.50
      Your hole cards
    • A

18wheeler Fold        
    toppool Fold        
    5_aces Fold        
    heyjoe Call   1600.00 4000.00 42321.00
    rancid Call   800.00 4800.00 22645.00
    STOCKY8A1 Check        
    Flop

• K
    • A

rancid Check        
    STOCKY8A1 Check        
    heyjoe Bet   3200.00 8000.00 39121.00
    rancid Call   3200.00 11200.00 19445.00
    STOCKY8A1 Fold        
    Turn

rancid Check        
    heyjoe Bet   11200.00 22400.00 27921.00
    rancid All-in   19445.00 41845.00 0.00
    heyjoe Call   8245.00 50090.00 19676.00
    rancid Show
    • A

heyjoe Show
    • K

River

heyjoe Win Two Pairs, Kings and 7s 50090.00   69766.00
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    scottyvid1 Big blind   4000.00 4000.00 36017.25
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

rancid Raise   8000.00 12000.00 36167.50
    Whizzewky Fold        
    samantha25 Fold        
    Hunter283 Fold        
    scottyvid1 Call   4000.00 16000.00 32017.25
    Flop

• J
    • A

scottyvid1 Check        
    rancid Bet   8000.00 24000.00 28167.50
    scottyvid1 Call   8000.00 32000.00 24017.25
    Turn

• Q

scottyvid1 Bet   4000.00 36000.00 20017.25
    rancid All-in   28167.50 64167.50 0.00
    scottyvid1 All-in   20017.25 84184.75 0.00
    rancid Unmatched bet   4150.25 80034.50 4150.25
    scottyvid1 Show

rancid Show
    • A
    • Q

River

• J

scottyvid1 Win Straight to the Queen 80034.50   80034.50
    played a little tired cash, made an error in a £14 pot - lost a little
    Might put the bad hand up in the clinic for some feedback
    Current roll 17/1/2012
    £770
    C4P 1399

---
    Target Break even BR £900
  • edited January 2012
    A8 - shove or fold pre, callig isn't an option, well unless you like c/f ing most flops.

AQ - nh
  • edited January 2012
    how many cash tables do you play at once?
  • edited January 2012

A8 - shove or fold pre, callig isn't an option, well unless you like c/f ing most flops. AQ - nh
    Posted by Dudeskin8

Think both hands are easy shoves pre, must have been over thinking and trying to make bad players give me chips with worse

Especially the A8 hand, I knew oppo would c bet after limping btn – lol

And would also donate chips with 2/3 rd pr

AQ – looking for someone to shove over the top pre, so not likely – lol

Like thanks for loose call from the bb but hey come on

Like I said – smash the all in button is good

• edited January 2012

how many cash tables do you play at once?
    Posted by Batkin88

3 max on my laptop –  can only handle 3 on my laptop before it slows down

can do 8+ on my pc – but it’s unsociable  for the other half  if I am upstairs

If I ever get to grind a certain level on a less recreational basis then I am sure I would be multi tabling 6+ on the pc

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player) :   3 max on my laptop –   can only handle 3 on my laptop before it slows down   can do 8+ on my pc – but it’s unsociable   for the other half   if I am upstairs   If I ever get to grind a certain level on a less recreational basis then I am sure I would be multi tabling 6+ on the pc
    Posted by rancid
    move pc downstairs. both problems solved
  • edited January 2012
    yeah, my computer is down stairs down for those reasons. ok, she only sees the back of my head but we can talk now!
  • edited January 2012

I passed that one by her, she can use laptop

Emmmmm  - she is the boss so………………….

If I was 6+ tabling, she would get zero convo- not sure thats +EV for our relationship

• edited January 2012
    lol!! question rancid is there ever a case to flat a 3x raise from the button and sb calls if we have ak in the bb?
    ps nl30

• edited January 2012

Disguise your hand I guess, bit of balance of the range type thingy

• edited January 2012
    dont think range balancing is that important at nl30 , but was playing a bit trappy today. got some abuse for it lol
  • edited January 2012
    dont think range balancing is that important at nl30 , but was playing a bit trappy today. got some abuse for it lol
    Posted by pod1
    You hold ak & you get AJ to pay you off on a A108 wet flushing flop then how can we say balance is not good at any level where you oppo is semi ok to be betting/getting it in with what they perceive to be the best of it

If your game is to only 3 bet AK then I would lol at you longer and harder tbh for being o so predictable
    Same could be said if your never 3 betting 910s )

IMO
  • edited January 2012
    trust me i 3 bet a lot wider than that.
    :-)
    problem i find is that if the button raises (which he should unopened) and the sb calls then 3 betting from the bb can be  sooo very obvious. if they are just playing postion you can have them fold on you.
    other postions i think you should be raising 100% of the time. 

• edited January 2012
    Depends how good btn is and if btn knows that you knows that he knows then you could 3 bet worse than what btn actual hand is then 4 betting btn becomes bad v bb 3 betting range !

• edited January 2012
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player) :   Think both hands are easy shoves pre, must have been over thinking and trying to make bad players give me chips with worse Especially the A8 hand, I knew oppo would c bet after limping btn – lol And would also donate chips with 2/3 rd pr   AQ – looking for someone to shove over the top pre, so not likely – lol Like thanks for loose call from the bb but hey come on   Like I said – smash the all in button is good
    Posted by rancid
    Oh yeah missed that, jeez makes it an even more obvious shove pre then.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player) : Oh yeah missed that, jeez makes it an even more obvious shove pre then.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Easy shove pre, what I done is never advisable )
  • edited January 2012
    DYM stats now going in the right direction

played some DYM
    Mini open - finished top ten - AIPR 10 bigs 88 wouldn't hold up versus AQ
    Cashed for £10, all that effort for £10 :(
    played some NL10 and couldn't win a hand, all oppo's just hitting on me
    DYM £ PLAYED MONEY IN CASHED OUT DIFF LOST     win perc
    1.15 81 £93.15 54 £108.00 £14.85 27     66.67%
    2.25 136 £306.00 84 £336.00 £30.00 52     61.76%
    3.3 246 £811.80 140 £840.00 £28.20 106     56.91%
    5.5 7 £38.50 4 £40.00 £1.50 3     57.14%

Total 470 £1,249.45 282 £1,324.00 £74.55 188     60.00%

Start DYM BR Current DYM BR  
                  £25.00 £99.55  

Current roll 18/1/2012
    £772
    C4P 1491

---
    Target Break even BR £900
  • edited January 2012
    THE DAY HAS COME

After all the hard work I have put into my game - today is the day I would like to announce that I have finally reached a milestone

If you have been following this from the start then you will know I made my last deposit of £80 in June 2011 and vowed to claw back the £900 I had sank into SKY from 2009.

After losing some cash this eveing and running bad in the DYM's, with my BR down to 740ish- I entered the £11 BH
    I binked 3rd (still went out on an outdraw, I'll post it!) and picked up:
    £141.22 + £50.53 Head Prizes

So currently:

Current roll 19/1/2012
    £923
    C4P 1563
    £23 in profit on Sky - I AM A WINNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What now ?

To be honest I am not sure, I may just end this here on a good note, withdraw it all and have a nice holiday --

then again I DON'T THINK SO

If anyone has any suggestions then please let me know
    Shall I just carry on ! What level cash :S

Thanks for all your support

run golden people, if I can do it, anyone can )

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player making good):
    THE DAY HAS COME After all the hard work I have put into my game - today is the day I would like to announce that I have finally reached a milestone If you have been following this from the start then you will know I made my last deposit of £80 in June 2011 and vowed to claw back the £900 I had sank into SKY from 2009. After losing some cash this eveing and running bad in the DYM's, with my BR down to 740ish- I entered the £11 BH I binked 3rd (still went out on an outdraw, I'll post it!) and picked up: £141.22 + £50.53 Head Prizes So currently: Current roll 19/1/2012 £923 C4P 1563 £23 in profit on Sky - I AM A WINNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What now ? To be honest I am not sure, I may just end this here on a good note, withdraw it all and have a nice holiday -- then again I DON'T THINK SO If anyone has any suggestions then please let me know Shall I just carry on ! What level cash :S Thanks for all your support run golden people, if I can do it, anyone can )
    Posted by rancid

Yeah do that - One less shark on the NL4

But seriously- just read your opening thread and considering it was only just over 6 months since you were a losing player , you,ve made £500 quid and are obviously enjoying it

I,d maybe step up to NL4 and NL10 and just play 2 tables for a trial period - You know your BRM well and see where it takes you . I always like to try a few staelites if im making a profit for that big one one day. Keeps it intereseting. Just gotta free 22 dollar token for a £300 k gtd - playin it tommorow 

• edited January 2012
    Hello Rancid, well done. Lol, we seem to meet each other on the tables alot recently. You stalking me? I suggest leave £200 or £300 in your account and withdraw the rest. Also remmember you BRM. Cash games it's a bit risky at a higher level. In the 25p and 50p I lost £50 in 1 hand few month ago and it's painfull. Especially 2day I lost alltogether £70 in the cash games and DYM :(. My BR was £155 yesterday. 2day it's £80. So im just going to grind DYM tables and few tourneys 2day to hopefully get it back.
  • edited January 2012
    First of all well done mate, have been enjoying reading ur progress.

basically its all about setting a new challenge really. Of course you can like one guy says withdraw most of it and then do the challenge all over again, if ur comfortable grinding away at these levels for the rest of eternity.

But I would suggest moving up now, u know u can beat the lower levels, so you can always drop back down if things dont work out at first.

gl mate, and look forward to seeing what u do next.
  • edited January 2012
    you just got lucky innit!!
    welldone mate, withdraw half(gives you enough for nl20) then blow the rest on wine women and song!
  • edited January 2012

Well done m8. 
        Just carry on doing what you have been doing, grind the levels you KNOW you can beat and keep taking
        shots at the higher levels whilst staying disciplined with regards BRM. Maybe withdraw a bit and give her 
        indoors a treat (you know it makes sense).

Best of luck at the tables.

PS I will carry on avoiding you like the plague m8, deffo no value when your around LOl.
  • edited January 2012

*** FOR SALE ***     

A complete set of poker diaries from some of Sky's finest players (and Doh).

Read every up and down with interest or just howl with laughter at some of the beats.

COST -  £923.00      

Been following this thread a while Rancid, and I would honestly withdraw 50% and take a holiday/buy something you want. Well done by the way!  
  • edited January 2012
    Great news! Well played Rancid, must feel good. Maybe spend some of it on a bottle or two of your favourite booze to celebrate your success.
  • edited January 2012

Thanks for all the comments people, irony, sarcasm and sincere posts are always welcome )

I have always wanted to work my way through the cash levels and stay at around NL20 (low stakes) just to get away from the rake at micro.

Problem is I have yet to beat NL10 on a regular basis.

I have had short term success but this may only be a bit of run good.

I don’t need to withdraw at the moment, so I could just carry on with playing a 1% BRM strategy. So I would be bouncing around NL10 & £11 MTT’s and taking shots. This may be the best way forward for me in this poker lark.

May close this thread and start another one, or just opt out as I am climbing up as it may turn into more of a BR status update as I will not be showing any hands for us to laugh at.

This may be a bit paranoid but I just don’t think it’s wise to be showing more equipped players how I will be playing at low stakes----------

I’ll watch the new Mad Dogs on Sky one tonight and see how I feel after-_-

As always any advice would be so nice

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: *******Rancid and his Roll (Diary of a losing recreational player making good)************:
    *** FOR SALE ***      A complete set of poker diaries from some of Sky's finest players (and Doh). Read every up and down with interest or just howl with laughter at some of the beats. COST -  £923.00       ☺ Been following this thread a while Rancid, and I would honestly withdraw 50% and take a holiday/buy something you want. Well done by the way!  
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Thats not as daft as it sounds.

A book form Sky ( or forum members with any experience of that sort of thing ) with all the diaries and some of the blogs would make a gr8 book for learners. They could share the profits with the posters

EDIT _ Could have a comp for name of book and everyone who wanted to could chip in towrads costs - advertising etc

I,ve been in my local WH Smiths and Waterstones among other smaller bookshops and haven,t seen anything of any use in several visits. Also most of the decent books are from 1 persons perspective , rather than a grp of players
  • edited January 2012
    Either move up stakes NAO or withdraw a lump, throughout this thread you have had no need for such a big BR at your stakes.

Very well done getting your cash back : )