You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lolpro runs eternally terrible [EvilPingu's Diary]

edited August 2016 in Poker Chat
Good luck Pingu, especially in the UKOPS.  Gotta love a freeroll.

Comments

• edited August 2016
    Totally forgot about the original thread that I started last month (probably because hardly anyone posted on it other than me, lol), and too lazy to go down to page 359713 and find it. 

Currently have £59.73 in my account, of which £10.75 is profits from Sports Betting and will only be used for that, so £48.98 for Poker. Realised that in my first diary, setting cash targets for the end of a month is pointless, and that my bankroll management still sucks.

This time around, I'll actually post every day that I play, rather than just posting when I can be bothered.

30/12/11, 2:37am
    Bankroll: £48.98
    C4P: 920

First target is obviously to make sure I get to 1000 C4P by the end of the month, I'm in the UKOPS Main Event (Freerolling :D) so should get enough points from that to push me comfortably over the 1k mark. Just hoping I don't play like a complete fish, lol

Targets for January:
    1) Grind low stakes DYM's, build bankroll up as much as possible
    2) Qualify for League Stars Freeroll at the end of January
    3) Don't play with more than 5% of my bankroll at any time

Targets for 1st Quarter:
    1) Increase volume - Would like to be in Top 30 on STT leaderboard
    2) Learn to play 4 tables at once - At the moment, I can only manage 3.
    3) Learn to play PLO8 and Hold'em at the same time - Currently suck at this, my poor brain can't cope :')
  • edited December 2011
    good luck Pingu,

think you,ve hit it on the head
    with not playing with any more than5% of your b/roll.
    think that is key.

best wishes.devonfish5
  • edited December 2011
     Good luck, at least you will be able to afford your student loan!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Missed out on the cash in the ME, finished 50th (30 got paid). Raise from big stack, I had AJ in the big blind with 10BB left, shoved, called by K7, king on the river. Would've been right back in it if my hand had held up, but didn't do anything wrong. Also ran my AJ into Scotty77's AK, flop came QT4, J on the turn at which point I jumped out of my chair, then sat down again when I realised opponent had the straight, lol

Didn't lose any money, great fun, and got enough poker points to push me up to the next C4P level, so can't complain :) Had a hand, blind vs. blind, I raised with A7, oppo shoved (as he did every time I raised the small blind), I called, he turned over T9s, knocked him out, and he sat in the chat box for a while, calling me a bingo player and all that, which made me laugh, so got to 50th by playing bingo apparently, wonder where I could've ended up if I'd actually played poker instead, will give that a go next time :P 

Brilliant structure, will definitely try to play the next one, hoping it's within my bankroll. Off to play some DYM's for a bit :)
  • edited December 2011
    Played 1 x £1.15 DYM and lost, I know it's probably obvious but the difference in standard of play compared to something like the UKOPS Main Event is massive, it's like playing a totally different game. Played 8 PLO8 DYM's earlier today as well, W4 L4 (played really badly, think I was excited about the main event and not concentrating properly) so a loss of £3.45 today, but with a bit more luck in the main event, that could've easily been so much better.

Will probably have a day off tomorrow, no need to play as there's more chance of hell freezing over than me getting 850 poker points for the next level of C4P, and the Xmas alcohol is unopened so far :O

31/12/11, 1:20am
    Bankroll: £45.83
    C4P: 1149

PS: Big thanks to everyone who railed me, or supported me during the tournament, much appreciated :)
  • edited December 2011
    shame you didn't cash evil ...but hey top 50 finish isn't to shabby.vwp ul final hand.
    Regards Alan..
  • edited December 2011
    50th in that field!  Well played Sir. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Starting my diary again.:
    Missed out on the cash in the ME, finished 50th (30 got paid). Raise from big stack, I had AJ in the big blind with 10BB left, shoved, called by K7, king on the river. Would've been right back in it if my hand had held up, but didn't do anything wrong. Also ran my AJ into Scotty77's AK, flop came QT4, J on the turn at which point I jumped out of my chair, then sat down again when I realised opponent had the straight, lol Didn't lose any money, great fun, and got enough poker points to push me up to the next C4P level, so can't complain :) Had a hand, blind vs. blind, I raised with A7, oppo shoved (as he did every time I raised the small blind), I called, he turned over T9s, knocked him out, and he sat in the chat box for a while, calling me a bingo player and all that, which made me laugh, so got to 50th by playing bingo apparently, wonder where I could've ended up if I'd actually played poker instead, will give that a go next time :P  Brilliant structure, will definitely try to play the next one, hoping it's within my bankroll. Off to play some DYM's for a bit :)
    Posted by EvilPingu
    Glad you weren't bothered by that fellow.  He was on my starting table and he played what I would call somewhat eccentrically.  To say I wouldn't hold his critique in high regard is an understatement.  You put in a fine performance Sir.

Now get spinning on that roll.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Starting my diary again.:
    shame you didn't cash evil ...but hey top 50 finish isn't to shabby.vwp ul final hand. Regards Alan..
    Posted by ajmilton
    Thanks, would've liked to cash but if you'd said before the tournament that I'd finish 50th, I would've probably laughed - Last hand was UL, would've been back up to 45k if I'd won the hand, would've probably needed another double up or two to cash, it was the AJ v AK hand that cost me, win that and I think I would've been over 100k, and probably been able to cash. There was a time where I was 1 position ahead of Beaneh for about 5 minutes, so thought if I could just stay there then I'd definitely TID :P

In Response to Re: Starting my diary again.:
    Will probably have a day off tomorrow
    Posted by EvilPingu
    Couldn't resist playing a couple of DYM's when I got up, a £3.30 and £1.15, won both, +£3.55 :) Might look for some drunk people to play later this evening.
  • edited January 2012
    Running terribad, £15.10 down, so that's last month's C4P gone already.

A9 vs. QQ, A9 hit a 10 high straight.
    Had someone call my shove (with nothing) to pinch blinds with K4 pre flop (Wtf?), K4 won and knocked me out.
    AJ vs. KJ, KJ hit a straight.
    QT vs. 58 All in on a T82 board, turn 5
    JJ vs. AK, didn't hold up.

And a really sick PLO8 hand, flopped broadway, rainbow flop, all in against someone with a random 2 raggy clubs...2 clubs on turn + river, flush, out.

Would post some of the times where my hands held, if I could find any in my hand history...Sigh. Those are all exit hands, or hands which left me with a chip and a chair.
  • edited January 2012
    Raised 99 on the button vs calling station, called in the BB, flop 245, shoved knowing he'd call if he had any piece of the flop, guess what the big blind had?

Yup, A3.

£16.25 down, ffs. Officially tilted, no more poker tonight.

On the bright side, my bet on >3.5 Field Goals in NY Jets vs. Miami won, and Tim Tebow to pass for less than 176 yards is looking pretty good at the moment too. Which means I've made back my losses on Man City -1, plus a few pence, yay.

1/1/12, 11:40pm
    Bankroll: £48.13 (Including £15 C4P due)
    C4P: 44
    STT League points: 35
    Cash League points: 0
    MTT League points: 0

• edited January 2012
    Hi just wanna say that when we played on that UKOPS table together thought you played really well. GL with getting ur BR up.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: EvilPingu's 2nd diary:
    £16.25 down, ffs. Officially tilted, no more poker tonight.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    Turns out I made a mistake in my records, and I'm actually "only" £14.60 down, recorded a £0.60 DYM loss as a £2.25 DYM loss :o

Plan for tomorrow is to play some more DYM's, maybe enter the forum DTD if I fancy it. Really want to get my BR up to a level where I can play decent level DYM's and NL4 (within my bankroll, unlike previously), low stakes DYM's were fun two months ago when I first signed up, but nowadays I just find them tedious.

Also, my PLO8 game seems to have fallen to bits overnight, gone from winning 14 out of 15 the other day to winning 8 out of 20 in the last 2 or 3 days, so will probably find a couple of training videos and stuff, variance hasn't been very kind the last few days, but in PLO8 DYM's, the variance is insanely low, so it can't just be that. Looked around a couple of the tables I was on earlier, and didn't see any fish - If you can't see any fish at the table, then it's probably you, so my PLO8 game definitely needs some work.

In Response to Re: EvilPingu's 2nd diary:
    Hi just wanna say that when we played on that UKOPS table together thought you played really well. GL with getting ur BR up.
    Posted by scotty77
    Thank you :) Posted a couple of hands that I wasn't sure about in the clinic to get some feedback, the AK vs. AJ hand where I doubled you up, and the blind vs. blind hand against TommyD before that. If I was being harsh on myself, I leaked about 5k chips in a few hands just before the second tournament break, but other than that, pretty pleased with how I played.
  • edited January 2012
    gl pingu , as i say on any of these threads i always respect a challenge
  • edited January 2012
    My luck hasn't changed since yesterday, still running terribad - £2.25 DYM, got to see a cheap flop early on with pocket 5's, I flopped bottom set, with opponent betting into me. Brilliant, except he'd flopped top set - My best chance of surviving was runners for a straight on board and a chop. Ouch.

Another game, shoved with AJ into short stack, he called with 77 which held, fair enough. 2 hands later, shoved with T7 as I was down to 7BB in the cutoff and blinds were about to go up. Called by K4 (wtf...again? Ridiculous) and lost...

Currently £4.05 down, so that's almost £20 down in 2 days, mostly due to players making awful calls, getting lucky, and knocking me out. Grr. Must be jinxed @ £2.25, I have a winning record at every other level up to £11, but W14 L18 at £2.25...

2/1/12, 3:45pm
    Bankroll: £45.73 (Including £15 C4P due)
    C4P: 60
    STT League points: 55
    Cash League points: 0
  • edited January 2012
    Sigh. Someone shoving every single hand currently leading the £25 GTD Rebuy, and a guy calling with ATC, both on my table. Ended up all in, A9 vs. A9 vs. T6, I had A9, the other A9 hit a flush. Getting p****d off now with the amount of what can only be described as idiots at these level. I know they're good value (apparently...), but I'm on Sky Poker, not Sky Bingo, and they've already cost me a pretty sizeable chunk of my bankroll.

Therefore, change of plan. Won't be playing any more DYM's until I can play at higher stakes, where the majority of players, as opposed to the minority, are literate and thus capable of telling the difference between Sky Poker and Sky Bingo, and where people's vocabulary consists of more than just abuse in the chat box when your overpair to their ATC 100BB shove holds up.

Okay, rant over.

-£18.75 since the new year, and -£4.15 today. Will be entering the Forum DTD today, see if I cash in any of the tournaments and how much I win, then hopefully find a way around playing in any more low stakes DYM's for a while. Still want to stick to not having more than 5% of my bankroll on a single game, so basically looking for cheap games with a decent quality field - Mini events @ 8:15, Forum DTD, etc. - The more I lose to calls with K4o from people in low stakes DYM's, the more tempting it is to just play out of my bankroll to get a decent game, which I don't want to do.
  • edited January 2012
    Posted by scotty77
    I agree with what Ryan has said.  I played in a game with u a cpl of mnths ago and when I found out you were new'ish was surprised coz u played well.  Keep grinding m8 and playing within your bankroll and sure it will shoot up. GL
  • edited January 2012
    You keep mentioning that you want to play at higher stakes so you can play better players so you can have 'a better game'. No offence but you really need to get that idea out of your head very soon, playing better players will make it harder to win and not easier, try playing DYM's where EVERYBODY is playing like you folding 95% of hands pre no limpers NO easy double ups.

You started with £48.98 and are down to £30.23 if your updates are correct so have 26 BI's for £1.15 which is a solid amount to play with, the rake is nasty but you should be bale to grind up to £2.25 which is about £50 (22 Bi's)

As for the DTD this can't happen with your roll, no questions asked.
  • edited January 2012
    Why do people always say I want to play better players :s

I want to play NL50 but only versus donks tbh
  • edited January 2012
    You keep mentioning that you want to play at higher stakes so you can play better players so you can have 'a better game'. No offence but you really need to get that idea out of your head very soon, playing better players will make it harder to win and not easier, try playing DYM's where EVERYBODY is playing like you folding 95% of hands pre no limpers NO easy double ups. You started with £48.98 and are down to £30.23 if your updates are correct so have 26 BI's for £1.15 which is a solid amount to play with, the rake is nasty but you should be bale to grind up to £2.25 which is about £50 (22 Bi's) As for the DTD this can't happen with your roll, no questions asked.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    I know that it sounds illogical that I'd rather play better players, but my records suggest I do actually have better results vs. good players than bad ones. Probably means there's something wrong with my game, but for the time being, until I work out what that is and fix it, I'd rather play good players if it's more profitable for me at this moment in time

As for the DTD - Turns out I added all 3 tournaments to my records, then only entered 1 of them, so off to post in the DTD thread to let everyone know that I'm an idiot, lol.
  • edited January 2012
    Sigh.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    EvilPingu Small blind   200.00 200.00 2225.00
    Shark12 Big blind   400.00 600.00 1245.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

DaveLove11 Fold        
    dhm Fold        
    EvilPingu All-in   2225.00 2825.00 0.00
    Shark12 All-in   1245.00 4070.00 0.00
    EvilPingu Unmatched bet   780.00 3290.00 780.00
    EvilPingu Show
    • A
    • Q

Shark12 Show

Flop

Turn

River

Shark12 Win Two Pairs, 7s and 6s 3290.00   3290.00
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: EvilPingu's 2nd diary : I know that it sounds illogical that I'd rather play better players, but my records suggest I do actually have better results vs. good players than bad ones. Probably means there's something wrong with my game, but for the time being, until I work out what that is and fix it, I'd rather play good players if it's more profitable for me at this moment in time As for the DTD - Turns out I added all 3 tournaments to my records, then only entered 1 of them, so off to post in the DTD thread to let everyone know that I'm an idiot, lol.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    you should want to play bad players.  your results against 'better' players are probably just variance.

if you are a good player you will win tonnes more v bad players than you will v better ones.
  • edited January 2012
    If you play a few dozen HU Hyper SnG's you'll soon realise that losing AQ v 76 all in pre is super standard and doesn't even come close to warrenting a 'sigh'.
  • edited January 2012
    AJ into KK, KK held, another £1.15 down.

Getting bored and frustrated with DYM's, depositing £100, so that I have a decent bankroll and can play NL4. Apparently I set a £50 deposit limit, which I'm too lazy to remove, so will deposit another £50 tomorrow.
  • edited January 2012
    AJ into KK, KK held, another £1.15 down. Getting bored and frustrated with DYM's, depositing £100, so that I have a decent bankroll and can play NL4. Apparently I set a £50 deposit limit, which I'm too lazy to remove, so will deposit another £50 tomorrow.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    nl4 can be a huge frustration as no doubt you will get lots more very loose calls than dym, so i suggest its better to start on your quest with a clear head after your dym run. nl4 can be very rewarding tho compared to playing low level dym.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: EvilPingu's 2nd diary : nl4 can be a huge frustration as no doubt you will get lots more very loose calls than dym, so i suggest its better to start on your quest with a clear head after your dym run. nl4 can be very rewarding tho compared to playing low level dym.
    Posted by TINTIN
    Difference is that in DYM's, most of the time I don't want the loose calls in the later stages when you have to start pinching blinds, whereas NL4 I'm only premium hands knowing I'll get loose calls.

Oh, and I think my luck may have changed... Area 51 regs will no doubt tell you it's because I just deposited :P

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    discokid Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.35
    polplays Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.49
      Your hole cards

EvilPingu Raise   £0.16 £0.22 £3.78
    Ragman666 Call   £0.16 £0.38 £2.58
    Thomas22 Fold        
    newskooler Fold        
    discokid Fold        
    polplays Fold        
    Flop

EvilPingu Bet   £0.38 £0.76 £3.40
    Ragman666 Raise   £0.76 £1.52 £1.82
    EvilPingu All-in   £3.40 £4.92 £0.00
    Ragman666 All-in   £1.82 £6.74 £0.00
    EvilPingu Unmatched bet   £1.20 £5.54 £1.20
    EvilPingu Show

Ragman666 Show
    • A
    • A

Turn

River

EvilPingu Win Straight to the 8 £5.12   £6.32

• edited January 2012
    i know you dont want the loose calls in the dym but i just think its the nature of the beast at the low levels, theres a lot of payers playing for fun n sometimes the blinds dictate situations.

i was going to advise the course of action you took earlier as i believe nl4 is easier to crack than grinding those dym

nh above. we always feel were due 1 when weve had a bad run.
  • edited January 2012
    i know you dont want the loose calls in the dym but i just think its the nature of the beast at the low levels, theres a lot of payers playing for fun n sometimes the blinds dictate situations. i was going to advise the course of action you took earlier as i believe nl4 is easier to crack than grinding those dym nh above. we always feel were due 1 when weve had a bad run.
    Posted by TINTIN
    Yep, exactly - All good reading the guides that say fold everything except aces early on, but when you get called with any old junk later on, that strategy just doesn't work IMO, as you're going to get sucked out on when you try to pinch blinds, probably enough to negate profits.. At least in cash, you've got 100BB, you can just wait for a hand and milk bad players to death.

Ended my brief NL4 session 60p up, thanks to the 88 vs. AA hand above, although had 44 vs. KK against a short stack, 1st hand he was at the table, joined the table with something like 90p. Called his raise, only 2 over cards to my 44 on the flop, board was 9 high so I thought I'd probably get called and be up against 2 overs. Alas, I was totally wrong and he actually had a hand.

On the bright side, my 60p profit on that session has brought my total losses for the day below £10 :P Plan to withdraw my £50 again if and when I get my bankroll up to £250.

3/1/12, 12:11am
    Bankroll: £90.73 (Including £15 C4P due, and £50 deposit)
    C4P: 92
    STT League points: 72
    Cash League points: 13
  • edited January 2012
    You want players making bad/lose calls all day
    The only flip of this is they make good calls, which you don't want

If you oppo is making mistakes, this is GOOD long term

Play NL4 and print money, don't bother with DYM until you have a spare £50 and then give £2 DYM a bash

ps. your only stealing blinds in DYM when you have 5-6 bigs
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: EvilPingu's 2nd diary : Yep, exactly - All good reading the guides that say fold everything except aces early on, but when you get called with any old junk later on, that strategy just doesn't work IMO, as you're going to get sucked out on when you try to pinch blinds, probably enough to negate profits.. At least in cash, you've got 100BB, you can just wait for a hand and milk bad players to death. Ended my brief NL4 session 60p up, thanks to the 88 vs. AA hand above, although had 44 vs. KK against a short stack, 1st hand he was at the table, joined the table with something like 90p. Called his raise, only 2 over cards to my 44 on the flop, board was 9 high so I thought I'd probably get called and be up against 2 overs. Alas, I was totally wrong and he actually had a hand. On the bright side, my 60p profit on that session has brought my total losses for the day below £10 :P Plan to withdraw my £50 again if and when I get my bankroll up to £250. 3/1/12, 12:11am Bankroll: £90.73 (Including £15 C4P due, and £50 deposit) C4P: 92 STT League points: 72 Cash League points: 13 MTT League points: 0
    Posted by EvilPingu
    how many tables do you play at a time at nl4?

it really pays if you can multi 4+. it also helps to tighten your game up esp at this level.