You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Lolpro runs eternally terrible [EvilPingu's Diary]

Comments

• edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Donk retires from playing Heads-up [EvilPingu's Diary]:
    In Response to Re: Donk retires from playing Heads-up [EvilPingu's Diary] : Dont know who you are mate but i am guessing you are very successful at this game because reading through your posts you speak alot of sense. Alot of players read pingus diary and like myself alot of them are new to the game and trying to improve and posts like yours help alot of others aswell as pingu himself. Thanks for your input and please keep it coming Also best of luck pingu mate and im sure its just a matter of time before that roll starts going up again Daz
    Posted by _ARAZI_
    Thanks mate!

Try not to give short, arrogant, know it all answers, like some of the posts i see. Have'nt played on sky for a while, but I will very occasionally look on the forum, and if their is a topic i feel passionately enough about i will post and try to give advise, not to feed my own ego, but to help people.

GL to you Daz.
  • edited April 2012
    Oi Donk, er i mean EvilPingu, you'r 18 right? man i wish i had started playing poker and had you'r roll to play with at that age, don't let some losses get you down, just get better! If i was you now i would play 6-8 /> tables on 20NL, and aim to beat it; to build confidence, better to learn from lower levels than at higher when the losses have greater affect esp when it can create conflict with family life,  to whatever you do m8 GL.
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    This is great advice 
  • edited April 2012
    Saturday 21st April, 2012 Found a mistake on my spreadsheet, which means I'm actually a pound better off than I thought I was, so my £700 hole is actually a £699 hole. Every cloud... :P Getting more comfortable with multi-tabling cash now, and the recovery is underway, it would seem. 9 x 20NL, +£3.66 8 x 20NL, +£6.99 £5.50 DYM - W14 L8, +£19.00 £11 DYM - W2 L1, +£7.00 ********** Bankroll: £1,784.66 Today: +£36.65 This month: -£661.92 C4P: 6,300 (£126.00) ********** 
    Posted by EvilPingu
    That's more like it Pingu. I'm sure with a bit of hard work and a bit more C4P you could manage to end up with a break even month, which would be a great result all things considered.
  • edited April 2012
    Sunday 22nd April, 2012

Hardly played today, made a fiver.

5 x 20NL (Short session, only 5 tables running at stupid o'clock in the morning), +£7.26

£5.50 DYM, W2 L2, -£2.00

Bankroll: £1,789.92
    Today: +£5.26
    This month: -£656.66
    C4P: 6,332 (£126.64)

• edited April 2012
    What is a downswing - I am on one myself - just chewed through £200 @ NL10/20 very easily and done nothing wrong :( If you have a swingy game then you can easily swing +/- 4-6 bins per session When you play a BRM of 40 bins then you need a good start, if you don't get that good start and continue then you have  to drop down - earn your crust at NL20 and then move on - When things are going well, BRM doesn't seem like an issue - when you run bad then you really start to feel the pinch Cash poker is about the longevity not short term success good luck
    Posted by rancid
    Ouch :\ You've definitely got a good enough game though to pull that back, just run better )

Definitely know what you mean about the swings. I've had sessions where I've been 4 BI's down, then gone to being 4 BI's up, and finished break even within a couple of hours. 

In Response to Re: Donk retires from playing Heads-up [EvilPingu's Diary]:
    In Response to Re: Donk retires from playing Heads-up [EvilPingu's Diary] : That's more like it Pingu. I'm sure with a bit of hard work and a bit more C4P you could manage to end up with a break even month, which would be a great result all things considered.
    Posted by Lambert180

As well as Priority Club (which is looking like I'm going to need a miracle to get into now), finishing the month break even is a target at the moment, should be achievable with enough volume as I feel that 20NL is a level that I can definitely beat. Tbh, I'd be incredibly lucky if I finish this month break even, 'cause I don't deserve to.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: Donk retires from playing Heads-up [EvilPingu's Diary] : Pretty much did this, dropped down to 20NL today and played 9 tables. Unlike multi-tabling DYMs where I'm usually open shoving, and as a result I don't actually have to remember what happened, I'm finding it a challenge to remember what I did pre-flop sometimes, I see I'm in a 3 way pot with AT on the button and I'm like, "Was I the initial raiser here?"- Takes me a couple of seconds to work out that I did infact open raise pre-flop and I'm supposed to c-bet. Will get used to it soon enough. Wouldn't be surprised if there's one or two really random donk leads when I go back through my hand history though ) Found the games quite soft tbh. Not sure how much of that is just 'cause it's Friday and there's a ton of recreational players online, or because I'm stepping down from 50NL where the games are obviously much tougher. In the most un-arrogant (is that a word?) way possible, 20NL should be quite easy to beat.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    haha im not the only one then, when this happened i cut some of my tables, i will play 6 tables max at 50nl but migh play 9 tables that include lower stakes, so that my mistakes aren't so costly, saying that i did call a shove with Ahigh in error on NL30 lol.

20NL is definitely softer but you have to be more disciplined i think, giving up when your c-bets don't work, controlling the pot when marginal etc, but  there should be enough value there when you hit you'r hand that it should counteract you'r passiveness when you don't have a value hand, not telling you how to play here but i have played a lot on NL20$ to know it can be frustrating and you can lose you'r head easily.

Im glad to see you took the decision to drop down, it's mentally hard to do that, all the best to you m8.
  • edited April 2012
    Monday 23rd April, 2012

Once again, didn't play much today (Well, yesterday now that I'm posting).

Also crushed a Limit Stud Hi-Lo Freeroll on 'Stars. I have no money on my account there so I only play the mixed game freeerolls for a bit of fun occasionally. As a result, I won a ticket into a $2k guaranteed tournament - Not bad for a game I've never played before! I'll hopefully cash in that and start building a bankroll on there too, giving me somewhere to play when I'm up at 4am and there's next to nothing running on Sky.

9 x 20NL, +£0.58

£5.50 DYM - W1 L0, +£4.50

Bankroll: £1,795.00
    Today: +£5.08
    This month: -£651.58
    C4P: 6,403 (£128.06)

• edited April 2012
    Tuesday 24th April, 2012

Played 20NL, kept running into the nuts. Every. Single. Time. I had a big hand, someone had a slightly bigger hand. Most tilting session ever ¬_¬ Basically had the last 2 days off, don't really want to finish the month several hundred quid down so will be playing £5.50 DYMs for the rest of the month and hopefully get as close to break even as I can... Sigh.

£5.50 DYM - W2 L1, +£3.50

9 x 20NL, -£109.93

Bankroll: £1,688.57
    Today: -£106.43
    This month: -£758.01
    C4P: 6,532 (£130.64)

• edited April 2012
    Rembember Pingu, you dont have to do anything clever to win at small stakes poker.

Just play really simple and tight and get back on track.

I think f you are 3betting and 4betting with anything other then ak, aa kk or qq, try cutting it out.
  • edited April 2012
    Rembember Pingu, you dont have to do anything clever to win at small stakes poker. Just play really simple and tight and get back on track. I think f you are 3betting and 4betting with anything other then ak, aa kk or qq, try cutting it out.
    Posted by Spad3s
    Yeah, that's what I was doing today, unfortunately just one of them sessions where I kept running QQ into AA, opponents flopping full houses for fun when I had overpairs, etc. Honestly wouldn't have done much differently tbh.
  • edited April 2012
    Good to set yourself targets i guess, but the best in the world have losing months.  cue cliche - it's just one long game.

just trying to say it may not be best to try and force it to meet a fairly arbitrary timeline
  • edited April 2012
    (v. thinly disguised brag post)

Played £10k bounty hunter yesterday all in pre with 99 v AQ - knocked out in 16th.

Thews at ten today all in twice with AK v 44 and 77 respectively - lost to set and quads

wondered whether will ever win a flip, but got heads up in £2k bounty hunter tonight  about 1-6 chip underdog and came thru to win it, cracking KK with A9s, before coolering him with AK vs AQ

Guess my point is I feel I played just the same in all of these , but with hugely varying results. Sure you'll win plenty at NL20 - just doesnt have to be in next few days
  • edited April 2012
    Wednesday 25th April, 2012

Everyone seemed to be getting lucky against me today, although I did crack aces with Q2s... Maybe I should start getting my money in behind and I'll see a profit long term :)

£5.50 DYM - W9 L10, -£14.50

3 x 4NL, +£0.01 - It was 3am, I was bored and nothing else was running. Hope this proves to Don90 that 4NL is beatable though ;)
    1 x 30NL, +£1.16

£11 BH - 80/82, 0 bounties. Limp/Caller with K8s flopped a flush vs. my pocket 10s -_- (Insert "Bounty Hunters are donkfests" rant here)

Bankroll: £1,664.24
    Today: -£24.33
    This month: -£782.34
    C4P: 6,638 (£132.76)

• edited April 2012
    Thursday 26th April, 2012

Played a bit last night/yesterday morning before going to bed. Didn't play at all today, was busy flying around space and blowing people up />:]

Good news: 2/3rds of the way to my C4P target
    Bad news: Only 4 days left this month. Don't think it's gonna happen, lol.

4 x 20NL, +£3.34

Bankroll: £1,667.58
    Today: +£3.34
    This month: -£779.00
    C4P: 6,667 (£133.34)

• edited April 2012
    Friday 27th April, 2012

Haven't been playing that much recently - Doesn't help that my sleep pattern  is completely messed up atm, so I'm only awake when there's hardly anyone on Sky )

Don't think there's much (if any) chance of getting into Priority Club this month now. Being break even at the end of the month is also very unlikely, barring some epic run good. No point giving up though, grind as many DYMs as I can today, see where I end up on C4P, and go from there. 

Based on my current win rate @ £5.50 DYMs, if I played enough to get to 10k C4P in the next 3 days (Like, 650 of them), then I would end up somewhere around break even at the end of the month, which would be a grest result given how this month has gone so far. Unlikely I'll actually get to 10k C4P, but the closer I get, the smaller my losses for this month will be, too.

£5.50 DYM - W11 L8, +£5.50

Bankroll: £1,673.08
    Today: +£5.50
    This month: -£773.50
    C4P: 6,762 (£135.24)

• edited April 2012
    Re: Simonnatur - +1 to what you said about not trying to force a profit. Just keep doing the right things (Not playing 50PLO, not losing £250 in a day by playing like a donk, etc.) and it'll work out in the end (hopefully).

Still got a decent win rate @ 20NL, despite that bad session the other day. Small sample size, but feels like I should be beating that level long term.
  • edited April 2012
    Dad wakes up and asks me how much money I've made so far today. I tell him I've only played one DYM today as nobody is on at like, 5am. He asks where all the Americans are, so I explain the Full Tilt situation to him. His reply:

"Maybe it's because Americans realise how addictive online Poker is and how many people get into debt"

Sigh.
  • edited April 2012
    Dad wakes up and asks me how much money I've made so far today. I tell him I've only played one DYM today as nobody is on at like, 5am. He asks where all the Americans are, so I explain the Full Tilt situation to him. His reply: "Maybe it's because Americans realise how addictive online Poker is and how many people get into debt" Sigh.
    Posted by EvilPingu

To be fair I think your dad has a good point – it is very addictive. You however seem to be doing well and am liking the blog – only one I can be bothered to read because it’s not all about poker

• edited April 2012
    Saturday 28th April

Was going to grind a lot more than I actually did today - Unfortunately, my session was cut short by the laptop battery not working (now running it with the recharger plugged in), as well as a table on my desktop showing chipstacks as "0.0-1" and not being able to see my cards, which made playing Poker rather challenging. 

Got my buy-in back for that game eventually from customer care, not without a fight though. Can't cut/paste the exact conversation in here as it's against forum rules to do so, but it went something along the lines of:

"It's a problem with your computer"
    "No it's not, there's other people in the chatbox saying they're having the same problem"
    "It's because you're playing too many tables and that may cause more problems"
    "No, I usually play between 9 and 12 tables and never have any problems (I only had 6 tables open at the time)... And the other person who is experiencing the same problems in the chat box is single tabling"
    *really long delay*
    "We've decided to give your buy-in back, but as there's actually no problems, this is just a good will gesture"

Customer Care gets worse and worse every time I speak to them... Every time I speak to them now, I open up live chat, expecting to have to tell them to stop talking rubbish. Can understand they're reluctant to refund people, but c'mon...

After my rather tilting experience with Customer Care, and the laptop playing up, I spent all day looking at new laptops and drooling over pictures of 30" monitors which would be able to fit 20 tables on instead. Then I saw how much a 30" monitor costs, and changed my mind ) Maybe I'll get one if I take down a couple of main events or something (in other words, never).

I should probably put my records on a flash drive too, before the laptop goes kaboom.

As for Poker, Priority Club is now out the window, definitely going to get to 7k points as it's a 0.2p/point jump, which works out at £14 so well worth getting - anything after that is a bonus.

£5.50 DYM - W7 L5, +£9.50*
    £11 DYM - W1 L0, +£9.00

* 1 buy-in refunded due to Sky software problems

Bankroll: £1,691.58
    Today: +£18.50
    This month: -£755.00
    C4P: 6,832 (£136.64)

• edited April 2012
    Sunday 29th April

Finally grinded a few DYMs, and got over the 7k points mark as well. Only disappointing thing was running horribly in the £11s that I played - 2 horrific beats when I got my money in as a massive favourite, and the other one was just a bad beat.

Despite that, a decent profit. Already awake and playing again so maybe I can get to 8k today :)

£5.50 DYM - W37 L22, +£45.50
    £11 DYM - W2 L3, -£15.00

Bankroll: £1,722.08
    Today: +£30.50
    This month: -£725.00
    C4P: 7,182 (£158.00)

• edited April 2012
    Monday 30th April

Fairly boring, standard day of grinding today. Made fifty quid, and with my C4P this month, I'm only £500 down in the end. Not too bad considering where I was a few days ago. The 2 biggest losing days were the 1st day of the month, and my HU experiment which went badly, and without both of them I'd be break even, can probably put both down to bad BRM to a certain extent, as well as being an Omaha fish.

Shame to miss out on Priority Club - Started well with 2k points in the first 2 days of the month, but the grinding really dropped off in the middle of the month, mainly because every time I looked at my C4P, I was ahead of where I should be so couldn't be bothered. Need to stop being lazy )

Will be nice to reset the "This Month" thing to £0.00, hopefully a winning month next month.

£5.50 DYM - W38 L22, +£50.00

Bankroll: £1,936.68 (Including April C4P)
    Today: +£50.00
    This month: -£510.40
    Final C4P: 7,482 (£164.60)

• edited May 2012
    May Targets:

1) Priority Club (Again) - Didn't make it last month, but I know why, so hopefully I'll get it this time around. With my targets below, I should get there comfortably.

2) 1,500 £5 DYMs - Almost certain I'm a winning player at this level - I have a 13% ROI over 650 games or so atm. Would like to have a bigger sample size to know whether this ROI is just positive variance or whether I'm crushing this level. I think it's probably a bit of both tbh, so if I still have an ROI of 10% or more at the end of the month, I'll be happy.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/pingu5dym.jpg/ (My £5.50 DYM Sharkscope graph, thanks to GaryQQQ for posting this)

3) 500 £11 DYMs - Despite my results at £5.50, I have a -4% ROI at £11 after a couple of hundred games. I think a lot of this is down to running bad. Can't expect the same ROI as I have at £5.50, but I need a bigger sample. 

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/pingu11dym.jpg/ (My £11 DYM Sharkscope graph, again thanks to GaryQQQ for posting this)

4) Get as high as possible on STT leaderboard - I don't think there's any TSP qualification this quarter, but should there be anything in it's place, I want the best chance of possibly winning it. Higher leaderboard position means more chips in the tournament at the end of every quarter. Have posted about this in "Ask Tikay" so will hopefully have more information soon :)
  • edited May 2012
    best of luck Evil,
    know u can do it
    :-)
    devon
  • edited May 2012
    read your posts with interest mate
    very good luck this month
  • edited May 2012
    Tuesday 1st May

I finally had a winning first day of the month for the first time ever - nice to get that monkey off my back. Never felt great starting every month in a hole, whether I was £10 or £250 down. I also won a Bounty Hunter seat from one of the competitions on the live show, so that's a free shot at a couple of thousand quid on Thursday, a chance of winning the Jackpot for £3.30, plus a few extra C4P for this month :)

As I may have posted in here before, I'm planning to switch from one college to another in September to try and get to University in 2013 as my current College is an epic fail. Got an e-mail from the College I've applied for today, saying they'll contact me towards the end of the month if there's any places left for the courses I want to take next year, so fingers crossed :)

At the same time, I discovered that someone/something has got hold of my Hotmail password and send out a load of spam e-mail to my entire contact list and myself, so I logged on to find several e-mails from me, trying to sell myself viagra... Sigh. 

Chances of playing Poker tomorrow are looking rather slim. Cupboards are totally empty so had to order a load of shopping, which is due to arrive when I'd usually be grinding and when I'm home alone, as the delivery fee was £1 cheaper at that time, and my Dad is tight, so that's my afternoon grind out the window. I also have a French speaking exam on Thursday which I've meant to be working on throughout the year, but I haven't -_-

Not had a single day off Poker since March 22nd, so although I'd rather be playing than doing French exam revision, it'll probably benefit me, both in terms of not failing and probably playing better after having a day off.

Knowing what usually happens when I say I'll have a day off, I'll probably play 200 DYMs tomorrow, and when I say I'm going to grind a load of DYMs this weekend, it means I'll play like, 5, and get bored. Procrastination FTW.

£5.50 DYM - W18 L9, +£31.50
    £11 DYM - W3 L3, -£6.00

Master Cash 4, -£3.91

Bankroll: £1,958.27 (Including April C4P)
    Today: +£21.59
    This month: +£21.59
    C4P: 197 (£0.00)

Monthly targets:
    £5.50 DYMs played: 27/1,500
    £11 DYMs played: 6/500
    Priority Club progress: 1.97%
    STT Leaderboard position: 21st

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Donk wins some money, at last. [EvilPingu's Diary]:
    best of luck Evil, know u can do it :-) devon
    Posted by devonfish5

In Response to Re: Donk wins some money, at last. [EvilPingu's Diary]:
    read your posts with interest mate very good luck this month
    Posted by walesboy
    Thanks guys :)
  • edited May 2012
    gl this month - rancid turned it around after a bad patch - I'm sure you can too.
    meanwhile why are you playing dym's? regardless of whether you can beat them I'd have thought the optimal style for playing them - ie solid grind - was the exact antithesis of what you stand for & enjoy. It  would drive me nuts doing what you are doing - give me a scary tournie any day
  • edited May 2012
    cheers for the AA/DYM theory stuff on the show.  you put it far better than I could!

GL with hitting Priority....and becoming wrongjohn2 :)
  • edited May 2012
    feel free to go back to cash anytime u like! ;-)
  • edited May 2012
    gl this month - rancid turned it around after a bad patch - I'm sure you can too. meanwhile why are you playing dym's? regardless of whether you can beat them I'd have thought the optimal style for playing them - ie solid grind - was the exact antithesis of what you stand for & enjoy. It  would drive me nuts doing what you are doing - give me a scary tournie any day
    Posted by GELDY

Very good question - On the face of it, DYMs would probably be the worst game ever for me to play considering I don't play ABC. I'm a total Maths geek though, so in that sense, DYMs are perfect for me. I tend to go through phases of playing DYMs, then getting bored and playing cash for a few weeks, then going back to DYMs, etc.

Being able to beat them helps a lot ofc, they're much more fun when you're winning instead of watching your BR bleed away as you play. 

cheers for the AA/DYM theory stuff on the show.  you put it far better than I could! GL with hitting Priority....and becoming wrongjohn2 :)
    Posted by scotty77

No problem :) I was pleasantly surprised by how good that section of the show was tbh - When I looked at the Poker School topic, I was expecting "Playing Pocket Aces" to be telling people not to limp/3bet with them because it screams "I have a big hand", don't limp and let everyone else in the pot and play AA vs. 5 opponents, generally quite basic stuff. 

In Response to Re: Donk wins some money, at last. [EvilPingu's Diary]:
    feel free to go back to cash anytime u like! ;-)
    Posted by SHANXTA
    Think I'll keep playing DYMs for a while, lol ;)